PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why I want .....

Lucky Knickers
24th September 2009, 09:38 PM
the Cats to win....
1. Michael Gardiner & Steven Milne. Need I say more?
2. They play superb football that is very watchable
3. Bobby Davis presenting the preeeeemiership medals (memories)
4. St Kilda fans

the Saints to win.....
1. Cam Mooney crying
2. The Swan connection of Rossy, Scheids and the Dumpster
3. Fans have waited a long time and I know that feeling
4. Tom Hawkins and his dance of the sugar plum fairy on the lead

I'm picking Cats by 21

Post your reasons and tips here....

(I'm bored)

Jewels
24th September 2009, 10:06 PM
Cats victory,
1. Saints fans (IMO worse then Pie fans)
2. Seeing St Nick cry-a bewdyful, bewdyful sight
3. Saints fans
4. Love to see Gazza get the medal trifecta
5. Saints fans

Saints victory,
1. Ummm

Got nothin, I hate them.

Love to see the Cats do what they did to Port in 07 but I know that's not going to happen so I'll settle for a good solid 5 goal victory!

goswannie14
24th September 2009, 10:16 PM
Cats victory,
1. Saints fans (IMO worse then Pie fans)
2. Seeing St Nick cry-a bewdyful, bewdyful sight
3. Saints fans
4. Love to see Gazza get the medal trifecta
5. Saints fans

Saints victory,
1. Ummm

Got nothin, I hate them.

Love to see the Cats do what they did to Port in 07 but I know that's not going to happen so I'll settle for a good solid 5 goal victory!That's pretty much what I would have said Jewels, it's hard to feel sorry for the most obnoxious fans in the League.

RedRosie
24th September 2009, 10:25 PM
Cats victory,
1 Saints fans (IMO worse than any fans of any code)
2. Saints Cheersquad
3. I like the Geelong club song
4. So I dont have to put up with the St Kilda supporter at work smirk
5. Saints arrrrrrrmen

Saints victory,
1. There will be less fights on the trains going home

Cats by 9, Saints will be pumped and feral, hope the ref is ready for them.

RogueSwan
24th September 2009, 11:01 PM
Cats win:
*There is not actually much I like about the Cats.
*Whoops, forgot about that angry little tool Milne.
*Don't know or have run into any Saints fans so that argument doesn't work for me

Saints win:
*Schneiderman and Zoolander
*Mooney to cry again
*the Lions would still be remembered as better than the Cats
*I can't stand Ablett, Chapman, Bartel or Scarlett. Bartel, to me, comes across as the Cats Daniel Kerr.

Saints by 9 (say about 72 - 63)

CureTheSane
25th September 2009, 12:00 AM
Saints win:

1. Been so long
2. My father's team - and subsequently my first team until I was permitted to choose for myself
3. Gardiner - I wanted him at the Swans. Seems he was worth the risk - good to see someone beat the odds and succeed
4. They have red & white in their colours
5. They should have won a flag when they had the superstar team - Winmar, Lowe, Harvey, Lockett etc etc

anniswan
25th September 2009, 12:28 AM
Saints win:

1. Been so long
2. My father's team - and subsequently my first team until I was permitted to choose for myself
3. Gardiner - I wanted him at the Swans. Seems he was worth the risk - good to see someone beat the odds and succeed
4. They have red & white in their colours
5. They should have won a flag when they had the superstar team - Winmar, Lowe, Harvey, Lockett etc etc

Ditto, + Lyon, Schneiderman and Dempster, we taught them everything they know :)

laughingnome
25th September 2009, 12:38 AM
I guess of the two, I dislike the saints less.

The Geelong rant of "most successful team over a three year period in wins/loses" really peeves me. I suppose it's akin to those Collingwood mugs who try to hide the fact they couldn't win a premiership in 32 years despite being in nine Grand Finals by (correctly) stating their club had won more games then any other. Saints fans may be feral, but Geelong are the most arrogant. And that really grinds my gears.

Saints by two goals.

CureTheSane
25th September 2009, 01:15 AM
Ditto, + Lyon, Schneiderman and Dempster, we taught them everything they know :)
Schneider & Dempster already have a medallion, so I don't think about them too much.
Lyon seems like a nice bloke, who has done well, so I hope he achieves his ultimate goal.

JF_Bay22_SCG
25th September 2009, 01:57 AM
Cats victory,
1 Saints fans (IMO worse than any fans of any code)
2. Saints Cheersquad

"We want another one
Just like the other one
Goal Gosal Goal Goal
Whoooooooo!"

Worst chant ever! :o :o :o

Now that Collingwood are out of the running I dont care who wins on Saturday. If the Saints win it gives them their 2nd flag. Plus it gives Schneids Dempsters & of Rossy Lyon another flag.

If the Cats win, it will not only be a victory for attacking football. Because teams always try & copy the premiers. If St Kilda win, we are back to 2005 chessbook footy again. :mad:

I can see St Kilda shutting the play-on happy Catters down & forcing them into error. However if the weather is bad the Cats may have an advantage. Not too much rainfall under a roof at Etihad. I wonder how Gardiner & Kossi like hail & slush.

JF

goswannie14
25th September 2009, 07:34 AM
"We want another one
Just like the other one
Goal Gosal Goal Goal
Whoooooooo!"

Worst chant ever! :o :o :o
Thank JF, I'm going to be haunted by that all day now....and yes it is the worst chant ever.

Wardy
25th September 2009, 08:30 AM
Geelong for me by 47!!!

why?

1) Lil Gazza - he is a true star
2) Lingy and the big shorts - I like him, he's got character and can keep the best players in the game quiet.
3) Jimmy Bartel & Joel Selwood - flip a coin there as to which one gets the Norm Smith.
4) They are suited to wet weather footy having played at the bog at kardinia park - if its raining tomorrow - then they would have to go in favourites, Saints are used to the rarified air, closed roof and dry pitch of the Dome.
5) they play good, fast attacking footy, the way it SHOULD be played.
6) Bomber Thompson, he doesnt go on with all the crap, if he cant get his message across in a few words, then its not worth saying in the first place..
7) The Cats have been there the last two years on the day that counts, they know what to expect - the Saints havent!
8)and despite what some think - they have actually been the form team in the last three years - they have been consistently good - than just cant be denied.

Saints?

reason why I dont go for them

1) Milne
2) Milne
3) Milne
4) dont like em.

ScottH
25th September 2009, 08:54 AM
Cats:
BIG Cats are cool.

Saints:
There is no such thing as a Saint, although I come pretty close.

goswannie14
25th September 2009, 09:19 AM
There is no such thing as a Saint, although I come pretty close.Saint Scott, the patron saint of lisping.

Primmy
25th September 2009, 12:16 PM
Umps Rosie, not refs. Vastly important to use that word. Don't know why. But Umps.

Saints:
1) Rossie, Schneider, and Dempster is not playing.
2) Umm.
3) Don't mind Jones. He has worked hard.
4) King has pecs of great worthiness.
5) Pains me to say but Nic the Saint is rather terrific to watch in action; love watching his arms....grrrrrr.

Geelong:
1) I like Big Hairy, don't know why.
2) I really really like Bomber Thompson and I want to take him home.
3) Jimmy is cute as a button.
4) Umm.
5) Don't like looking at Ablett but really appreciate his talent, easy to watch.

There you go. As controversial and shallow as I can make it.

Footy food, and grand final party at my place with my mob. Red wine will be involved.

Wardy
25th September 2009, 12:19 PM
Umps Rosie, not refs. Vastly important to use that word. Don't know why. But Umps.

Saints:
2) Umm.
3) Don't mind Jones. He has worked hard.
4) King has pecs of great worthiness.
5) Pains me to say but Nic the Saint is rather terrific to watch in action; love watching his arms....grrrrrr.

Geelong:
1) I like Big Hairy, don't know why.
2) I really really like Bomber Thompson and I want to take him home.
3) Jimmy is cute as a button.
4) Umm.
5) Don't like looking at Ablett but really appreciate his talent, easy to watch.

There you go. As controversial and shallow as I can make it.

Footy food, and grand final party at my place with my mob. Red wine will be involved.

Warm the set and cool the tinnies Primmy!!! and dont forget to break out the Huttons Footy Franks!

BeeEmmAre
25th September 2009, 12:32 PM
Saints:

Dempster was brought into the team last night Primmy, unless there's something you know that I don't?

RedRosie
25th September 2009, 12:58 PM
Umps Rosie, not refs. Vastly important to use that word. Don't know why. But Umps..
CANT believe I wrote that, sorry about this rave but thats the last straw today, after 44 years following the AFL, Swans of course! And then this morning 6am non following partner of mine wakes me to tell me Hall is going to the Bulldogs! Grrr I yelled at him and said 'not until the deals done and that is yesterdays news and is that the ONLY player you know' (He knows I am a bit cut about it) Then I reminded one of my jibberers to get her 'cossies' bloody 'cossies' then go to the shops for sis birthday present and not one bit of Swans merchandise anywhere. Everyones hyped for the NRL and they all look at me stupid. I need to go home, have a south melb. market dimmy and jam donut, catch a tram and feel it, I would even be happy seeing an earwig and a slater. Why did I move here, ah thats right. They did. :)

GO CATS !

Primmy
25th September 2009, 01:31 PM
Dempster was brought into the team last night Primmy, unless there's something you know that I don't?

Nup, behind the times is all. Oh good, I like the kid.

Poor ole Rosie. Jam donuts here are not as good they are there :p

Emerald Hill
25th September 2009, 06:18 PM
Lyon, Schneider and Dempster were a big part of our success in 2005/06 but I can't want them to win.

St.Kilda fans are feral and seeing Milne with a Premiership medallion around his neck would really stick in my craw!

Go Cats!

cruiser
25th September 2009, 06:54 PM
That's pretty much what I would have said Jewels, it's hard to feel sorry for the most obnoxious fans in the League. I was starting to think that it was just me. I will never forgive their behaviour in the 2004 semi and at 3/4 time of the 2005 PF, not to mention everytime they have beaten us at Docklands. They are the most ungracious winners in the AFL and they will be unbearable if they win tomorrow. As much as I would like Lyon, Schneider and Dempster to enjoy another GF, I cannot wish success for St Kilda's vile supporters. GO CATS!!

j s
25th September 2009, 07:11 PM
Cats win:
I'm a temporary resident of Geelong - need I say more?

Saints win:
I'm a temporary resident of Geelong - need I say more?

573v30
26th September 2009, 01:05 AM
Cats win...

1. The continuation of the Ablett accolades (hopefully a Norm Smith too)
2. Riewoldt crying again
3. I hate Milne (rodent)
4. Justifies their dominance over the last 3 seasons
5. Repeat of Gardiner's previous Grand Final appearance
6. Saints are still a laughing stock for over 110 years
7. I like the Geelong team song but don't care for the Saints' song

Saints win...

1. Schneider and Dempster
2. Ross Lyon
3. Been a long time coming for passionate Saints fans who've stuck with the club even at their lowest

Despite the obvious Swans connection playing for and coaching the Saints, I'm cheering on the Cats as I've done in the previous 2 Grand Finals.

Xie Shan
26th September 2009, 07:31 PM
Wow. How satisfying must that win have been for Geelong after last year. You don't often get a shot at redemption and they were probably outplayed for more of the game except on the scoreboard, but when their chance came boy did they grab it. Schneider unfortunately showing why we traded him, though with 2.3 he could have easily been the hero. The sooner Milne retires the better. Chapman deserving of the Norm Smith but thought Harry Taylor was sensational on Riewoldt, the rain did help him though. I cannot understand the Saint-hate though, they have improved enormously as a club this year and Geelong had to absorb a heck of a lot of pressure today. People forget that they gave us two of our most important players in recent history in Lockett and Hall, and without them I don't think we would have made one GF let alone three, including a winning one. Had the Saints got up, Gram would have been the bolter for the Norm Smith IMO, he read the play better than anyone today. Maybe it is a culture thing, I don't know- that causes former Saints players to thrive when they move north but it doesn't seem to work the other way? Lyon is still the right man for the job though, no question.

Umpires had a shocker and unsurprisingly put the whistle away in the second half which was almost a relief because I don't think they had the confidence to make the tough calls, a pretty worrying sign.

ScottH
26th September 2009, 07:33 PM
I thought Taylor might've had a shot at the Norm Smith, played an excellent game.

Some awful misses for the Saints.

ShockOfHair
26th September 2009, 08:42 PM
Well said Xie Shan. Umps were rough in the first half; that HTB free to Dempster against Scarlett wasn't there. But Schneider should have got the free when his shorts were being pulled off. Agree about Gram too; he really read the play better than anyone on the Saints side.
Harry T was brilliant on Reiwolt, but also played a good attacking game. Bartel did great job on Hayes, who got 11 stats in first quarter and was hardly sighted after.

Thought Chapman for the Norm was a fair call. No-one really stood out but he stood up when it counted.

Special mention to Stevie J. He couldn't buy a possession today; if only he'd play like that against us. It was his kick to Ablett that led to Chapman's winning goal - a telling play involving Gazza, a great toepoke and shepherd by Scarlett and Chapman's snap. To me it summed up why they deserved to win.

i'm-uninformed2
26th September 2009, 09:20 PM
Whata fn great game. Beers galrore at our bbbq. Tight as a nuns. Smash em uppp footy. Thriller. Woooo hoo. Holy crap. I wasnnt as tensse as 05 but even my dog was barrking his head off near the end. Mitey.

Claret
27th September 2009, 09:26 AM
I was supporting the Saints for one reason . . . . Matthew Scarlett.

He must be close to the most arrogant and disrespectful player in the league. The way he treated Robert Harvey, one of the game's greats and a gentleman, after his last game was a disgrace.

Also, his comment after the Grand Final that "We are now the greatest team ever" is laughable. You're not even the best team in this decade!

RogueSwan
27th September 2009, 10:41 AM

He must be close to the most arrogant and disrespectful player in the league. ...

Pretty much sums up how I see the Cats. Sure they are a good team, but if the Swans had won a couple of GF's I really can't imagine anyone on the team carrying on like that. I really can't.

Margie
27th September 2009, 04:24 PM
In such tight Grand Finals, you can't help feeling sorry for the team that loses. This one could have gone either way but Geelong found a way to win, while the Saints bungled several chances.

Chapman, Taylor and Ablett stood up brilliantly in that last quarter. It always takes a little bit of luck and maybe the weather, bounce of the ball, etc. worked to Geelong's advantage.

I thought the Saints got the better of the umpiring decisions in the first half. The free paid against Millburn for being "demonstrative" was completely over the top.

ScottH
27th September 2009, 05:19 PM
I wish Stokes had of got a game ahead of Varcoe. He was pretty useless for most of the game.

mcs
27th September 2009, 06:23 PM
In such tight Grand Finals, you can't help feeling sorry for the team that loses. This one could have gone either way but Geelong found a way to win, while the Saints bungled several chances.

Chapman, Taylor and Ablett stood up brilliantly in that last quarter. It always takes a little bit of luck and maybe the weather, bounce of the ball, etc. worked to Geelong's advantage.

I thought the Saints got the better of the umpiring decisions in the first half. The free paid against Millburn for being "demonstrative" was completely over the top.

While I agree about feeling sorry for the team that loses, footy is a simple game. if you can't kick straight and waste your chances, you nearly always won't win. Happened to Geelong last year, and to an extent St Kilda yesterday. Luck doesn't play a part for St Kilda yesterday if they took their chances. Especially Milne and Schneider who both wasted very kickable chances when the Saints were on top.

laughingnome
27th September 2009, 07:09 PM
Exactly. At the end of the day they didn't kick straight, and didn't have the fortune of Tom Hawkins to have an umpire not see a blatent poster. How awful would it have been if that kick had decided the match?

mcs
27th September 2009, 07:35 PM
Exactly. At the end of the day they didn't kick straight, and didn't have the fortune of Tom Hawkins to have an umpire not see a blatent poster. How awful would it have been if that kick had decided the match?

I was thinking that in the game. I saw it straight out when Hawkins kicked it and can't believe the umpire missed it.

laughingnome
27th September 2009, 08:15 PM
I was thinking that in the game. I saw it straight out when Hawkins kicked it and can't believe the umpire missed it.

Ditto. I assumed that it was a trick of the camera and I was wrong until the replay showed all. The saints fans in the background were right p@@@ed off.

Xie Shan
27th September 2009, 09:22 PM

What? I thought all the Cats players who spoke after the game went out of their way to acknowledge the Saints and were largely gracious winners, I know West Coast were (rightly) criticised for their carrying on in 2006 but Geelong were fine!

Pace To Burn
27th September 2009, 10:03 PM
I wish Stokes had of got a game ahead of Varcoe. He was pretty useless for most of the game.

Very generous there Scott, he was woefull. As has been said the saints didnt take there chances and paid the price. FWIW i reckon Gram was easily BOG, was always in the right place to mop up and used the ball well, although it very rarely gets given to the losing side. I reckon Taylor or even Max Rooke had outstanding games and could easily have won the NS also

Claret
28th September 2009, 03:41 AM
What? I thought all the Cats players who spoke after the game went out of their way to acknowledge the Saints and were largely gracious winners, I know West Coast were (rightly) criticised for their carrying on in 2006 but Geelong were fine!

All except one - Scarlett. The rest of them seem to be ripping blokes and I love the way they play the game. He just brings them down a rung or two. He sounded a lot like Dean Cox post 2006, although in Cox's defence he was heavily under the influence at the time of his comments.

hot potato
29th September 2009, 12:06 AM
it's very Un Aussie to bang on how great WE are (Scarlett), the Cats were as Bomber confessed very lucky indeed to win. They were paid a goal for a point, how did the goal ump not see that from his close proximity.
This game was going to go either way by some touch of luck and as it turned out The Cats got home from a relfex toe poke that happened to land in the hands of Ablett who kicked a beautiful long drop punt to the goal square.
Despite all the clangers from GF pressure , what a classic. A beauty for the code with so many watching from all codes and credes.

HP