PDA

View Full Version : Official Delistings

ScottH
13th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Ryan Brabazon, Matthew Laidlaw and Daniel O'Keefe have each been advised they will no longer be required by the Club.

Source (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=86047)

robamiee
13th October 2009, 06:30 PM
Shame DOK never got a run seniors due to his injuries..

Surprised by ryan brabs though..

though i dont relly know enough about them whether it was warranted or not

DST
13th October 2009, 06:30 PM
Massive call on Daniel O'keefe that draft pick really hurts now.

Brabazon was expected and Laidlaw is unlucky but it was down to his body in the end and it just didn't give him a chance.

Maybe O'Keefe could be re-listed through the rookie draft with us.

Just leaves Playfair as to whether he can get over his hamstring issues and play a role next year.

DST
:D

satchmopugdog
13th October 2009, 06:40 PM
Very sad...now looking for a new bandwagon.

Plugger46
13th October 2009, 06:44 PM
Disappointed that Laidlaw and O'Keefe have been given the chop.

Would like to see Playfair de-listed now.

annew
13th October 2009, 06:45 PM
Massive call on Daniel O'keefe that draft pick really hurts now.

Brabazon was expected and Laidlaw is unlucky but it was down to his body in the end and it just didn't give him a chance.

Maybe O'Keefe could be re-listed through the rookie draft with us.

Just leaves Playfair as to whether he can get over his hamstring issues and play a role next year.

DST
What number draft pick was he?

Jeffers1984
13th October 2009, 06:50 PM
hmm i probably would of given 1 more year to Laidlaw. I'm sure he'll get a few nibbles from other clubs or a rookie shot with us.

DOK will go down with Josh Willoughby as a failed 1st rounder. It hurts because we could of gotten Kurt Tippett or Mitch Brown with that pick.

Best of luck to the 3.

Plugger46
13th October 2009, 06:54 PM

15 from memory.

liz
13th October 2009, 06:57 PM
Bummer. I think I am going to have to give away watching the ressies because you get too attached to some of these players. I am still getting over Bruce getting the flick last year. And now Laidlaw:(

Cardinal
13th October 2009, 07:01 PM
Tough time of year. Still the kids have achieved more on the footy field by being a part of the Swans than I could have ever hoped for.

Would really have liked DOK to come good. Maybe he will relisted and become a Cinderella

BTW: pick #15 2006

won't it be a disappointment if pick #14 ends up like this in a few years

ScottH
13th October 2009, 07:01 PM

15 from memory.

Correct weight, P46.

Draft History - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_History#2006)

desredandwhite
13th October 2009, 07:04 PM
That just shows you how much of a lottery the draft is.

I think the hit rate is probably roughly the same across all clubs.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them get picked up again in the rookie draft, or late in the national draft (a notable player in that category was Amon Buchanan!!). We have to leave our options open at this stage... and if there is still space, they might be lucky enough to get another guernsey.

Primmy
13th October 2009, 07:05 PM
Bummer. I think I am going to have to give away watching the ressies because you get too attached to some of these players. I am still getting over Bruce getting the flick last year. And now Laidlaw:(

I'm with you Liz. You will them on, but ..... no matter how hard you try up in the stands, it doesn't always come together.

I could see Braba was trying his heart out, he just didn't have the next level, but I shall miss the bright face and the calls Braba braba braba!! Matty L doesn't surprise me too much, he kept breaking and DOK had the goods, but I think the bigtime was a bit too, well, Big. But if they were going to redraft, I think it would be DOK.

We can console ourselves with them keeping Nipper Gordon though. And Taylor G.

hammo
13th October 2009, 07:08 PM
Can the list experts please advise how many vacancies this now leaves us?

Probably not surprising. O'Keefe had 3 years to make it didn't he? Still I think he was worth persevering with compared to Playfair.

I'm glad that this means Tim Schmidt has been given a reprieve.

ScottH
13th October 2009, 07:25 PM
Can the list experts please advise how many vacancies this now leaves us?

Probably not surprising. O'Keefe had 3 years to make it didn't he? Still I think he was worth persevering with compared to Playfair.

I'm glad that this means Tim Schmidt has been given a reprieve.

31 existing + 4 newbies = 35 players (by my count)
+ 2 Rookies (Gilchrist and Orreal)

Cardinal
13th October 2009, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=desredandwhite;462724]That just shows you how much of a lottery the draft is.

QUOTE]

Don't know if I've mentioned it but Pelchen from the Hawks reckons we have had the lowest return from the draft of all the clubs in the past few years. Mind you we have had sustained success on the park where it counts and also the least amount of picks.

Captain
13th October 2009, 07:39 PM
No surprise that DOK was delisted. Being a high draft pick means nothing. I was sure that he would go and would have been amazed if he had stayed.

Only surprise is that Playfair has kept his place. Guess that's fair enough considering we have lost a lot of forward line experience and he would add depth if he gets his hammies right.

Triple B
13th October 2009, 07:56 PM

I feel your pain Liz.

I'm gutted about Laidlaw :frown

hammo
13th October 2009, 07:58 PM
Playfair just 20 games in the last 4 seasons by the way. Only 63 games in his 8 year career. Are we that confident he's suddenly going to come good? Shows the advantage of being tall!

Plugger46
13th October 2009, 08:11 PM
Playfair just 20 games in the last 4 seasons by the way. Only 63 games in his 8 year career. Are we that confident he's suddenly going to come good? Shows the advantage of being tall!

Can't believe the support for him either. Slow and can't kick. With Goodes, White and possibly Johnston - surely he's not required.

Reggi
13th October 2009, 08:29 PM
I feel your pain Liz.

I'm gutted about Laidlaw :frown

Tim Schmidt must have photos of Roosy's kids

dimelb
13th October 2009, 08:31 PM
We kept Playfair?
And dropped Laidlaw?
I am very disappointed, and I suspect Matty will get picked up elsewhere and come back to bite us on the bum.

Lucky Knickers
13th October 2009, 09:20 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Poor Matt. All the best for the future.

Old Royboy
13th October 2009, 09:33 PM
Braba was a dud from day 1, should have been delisted two years ago. DOK showed ability but no application, and I am now free of Big Bad's weekly summary of him as a spud. I'm another gutted about Laidlaw - if he had been given a fair go when he was flying in early 2007 it could have been such a different story.

DST
13th October 2009, 09:36 PM

This does not mean Playfair is staying we still have another two list lodgement deadlines to cut right up until the PSD and rookie draft.

The club has done the right thing by giving him extra time to start running again and will know one way or the other come PSD day.

DST

DST
13th October 2009, 09:39 PM
We kept Playfair?
And dropped Laidlaw?
I am very disappointed, and I suspect Matty will get picked up elsewhere and come back to bite us on the bum.

Can't confess to knowing the full story but a family member of mine went to school with Matt and he caught up with him over the last couple of weeks.

Indication was that the doctors reports were not overly great and his injury problems are likely to be on going, which is a shame as he had the talent.

He may now just play socially in the amatures for old Carey.

DST

Captain
13th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe they are giving Playfair the most amount of time possible to prove he is injury free (or at least recovering well)?

Once the injury box is ticked, they can teach him to kick.

Cardinal
13th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Maybe we should have done a straight swap for Ball.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58085

dimelb
13th October 2009, 10:09 PM
Can't confess to knowing the full story but a family member of mine went to school with Matt and he caught up with him over the last couple of weeks.

Indication was that the doctors reports were not overly great and his injury problems are likely to be on going, which is a shame as he had the talent.

DST
I'm really sorry to hear that; as I've said elsewhere I think he has a real talent. I wish him all the best for the future.

DST
13th October 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that; as I've said elsewhere I think he has a real talent. I wish him all the best for the future.

Agree, I watched a fair bit of him in year 12 for Carey when playing with my cousin and he was such a good talent.

A shame the body didn't work out, but maybe another club will take a punt as a rookie but it would seem un-likely.

DST

Bas
13th October 2009, 10:31 PM

He's in gaol at the moment isn't he?

So I wonder if we will have 4 picks in the national draft or save one for pre-season.

annew
13th October 2009, 10:57 PM
15 from memory.

Thanks

SimonH
13th October 2009, 11:01 PM

DST
:DRealistically, esp with the club's end-of-season report, dud medicals were likely to be the real reason. It surely couldn't be that the club was so blind as to think he couldn't play.

SimonH
13th October 2009, 11:13 PM
That just shows you how much of a lottery the draft is.

Don't know if I've mentioned it but Pelchen from the Hawks reckons we have had the lowest return from the draft of all the clubs in the past few years. Mind you we have had sustained success on the park where it counts and also the least amount of picks.Our dismal record in around picks 15-25 is a real concern. Hopefully Vespa 2007 and Johnston 2008 (albeit they're pretty high picks) will break the cycle. Outside that part of the draft, our record would be as good as anyone (e.g. in retrospect it turns out we were the winners in the weak 2002 draft).

Where we have been truly blessed is in trading-- having the insight to trade our late first rounders for quality, most likely well in excess for what we would have got if we'd held on and used the picks. Barry Hall #13 and #17 in 2001 (used by St K on Nick dal Santo and to on-trade for Clint Bizzell), Nick Davis for #21 in 2002 (used by Collingwood on Bo Nixon), Darren Jolly for #15 in 2004 (used by Melbourne on Lynden Dunn), Ted Richards for #19 in 2005 (used by Essendon on Courtenay Dempsey).

I can't see anyone wanting to swap the above list of players we've received, for more DOKs and little Willos.

DST
13th October 2009, 11:19 PM
Realistically, esp with the club's end-of-season report, dud medicals were likely to be the real reason. It surely couldn't be that the club was so blind as to think he couldn't play.

There is no doubt the club thought he could play.

There is some talk on another forum that he fell out with the footy department, but I find that hard to believe. More likely that both parties got frustrated with the recurring injuries and with that comes times when relationships get strained as they are not getting what they want no matter how hard both are trying.

DST

liz
13th October 2009, 11:28 PM
Our dismal record in around picks 15-25 is a real concern. Hopefully Vespa 2007 and Johnston 2008 (albeit they're pretty high picks) will break the cycle. Outside that part of the draft, our record would be as good as anyone (e.g. in retrospect it turns out we were the winners in the weak 2002 draft).

Our record with picks in that range has been dreadful, but I wonder if it is much - or any - worse than other clubs. This time of year you read all sorts of write-ups of underage players that make them all sound like potential Brownlow medallists. Yet the sad reality is that a staggeringly large number of these bright young things barely scrape a few games and many don't even get that far.

Even when you get to see enough of a player to know they have definite AFL ability, there is still a lot of finger crossing needed to see if their bodies hold up. James, Doyle, Fitzgerald were all super talents who succumbed to injury. And the injury jury is still very much out on Johnston, Vezspremi and Meredith, and probably hasn't even convened yet in respect of a number of other young players on our list.

Roos' past keenness for swapping very late first round picks for known quantities is certainly not daft.

Robbo
13th October 2009, 11:41 PM
I was shocked when we took O'Keefe with pick 15 in the super draft of 06. We went for a roughy and it blew up in our faces.

I've only seen him play once so can someone who watched him in the ressies offer an explanation as to why we picked him up? What does he do well, what's his disposal like etc.

Laidlaw ravaged by injuries sad to see him go and Braba obviously not up to it.

Young Blood
14th October 2009, 12:18 AM
31 existing + 4 newbies = 35 players (by my count)
+ 2 Rookies (Gilchrist and Orreal)

I think we're down to 33 players now.
40 - 5 retirements - 3 traded out - 3 delistings + 4 traded in = 33

Up to seven spots to fill (depending on whether we put Kirk & Goodes on the vets list). Possibly 2 rookie promotions, 4 draft selections, 1 PSD selection.

Eleven off the list in one year is a major cleanout.

elroy67
14th October 2009, 03:46 AM
I was shocked when we took O'Keefe with pick 15 in the super draft of 06. We went for a roughy and it blew up in our faces.

Not that every other team gets it right every time with early picks.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/cats-call-time-on-tenace/2009/10/13/1255195784139.html

Triple B
14th October 2009, 04:39 AM
....DOK showed ability but no application, and I am now free of Big Bad's weekly summary of him as a spud....

:p :p Sorry for the weekly ear bashing.

Believe me, I would have been extremely happy if I was proven wrong, but I told DoctorJ and Reggi after a handful of games way back when and before injury hampered him, that he was a dud. :(

Reggi
14th October 2009, 07:44 AM

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/cats-call-time-on-tenace/2009/10/13/1255195784139.html

That draft was pretty thin for midfielders

hammo
14th October 2009, 07:53 AM

Not every time, but an enviable record nonetheless.

He is the only one of the Cats' five top-10 draft picks in the past decade not to have been a major success.

Like Sydney, Geelong have never had the luxury of very high picks but have made the most of their first round picks when they've had them (and been lucky with some great father son selections).

CJK
14th October 2009, 08:12 AM
Only surprise is that Playfair escapes the knife.

goswannie14
14th October 2009, 08:24 AM
I can't believe that the Crows have delisted Robert Shirley.

Primmy
14th October 2009, 08:52 AM
Only surprise is that Playfair escapes the knife.

Not really when you think of it. The list is 38 or 40 (can't remember) with only 22 required on the day. That leaves us with a balance of fairly inexperienced/unblooded boys.

He is an experienced big bloke, who can pinch hit play in a fair number of positions. He has been around for quite some time and doesn't come across as a bloke with many illusions. Now if I was going to have a backup big bloke who is not going to play every game but can be brought in to cover when someone is out, who would you rather have hanging in the wings. You have the option on the day of a big experienced bloke or one of the less experienced kids. It gives the coaches choice.

It reminds me a bit of when they took Fruity. He didn't get much of a go, but he was worth his weight when he worked with the kids and had a different focus. He could have been brought in to seniors if one of them got injured, but was never going to be a permanent on field player.

I suspect that Playfair is going to have a similar place in the mob.

caj23
14th October 2009, 09:06 AM

I've only seen him play once so can someone who watched him in the ressies offer an explanation as to why we picked him up? What does he do well, what's his disposal like etc.

Yes I remember listening to that draft on SEN and being excited when it got to our pick as Mitch Brown was still available. I was disappointed when O'Keefe's name was read out as he wasn't even rated a top 30 prospect by the experts at the time.

Imagine if we had the 2 big tanks of Brown and White roaming our forward line now :eek:

Was that Barham's last draft????

CJK
14th October 2009, 09:16 AM
Not really when you think of it.

He is an experienced big bloke...backup big bloke who is not going to play every game but can be brought in to cover when someone is out

All well and good but how you gonna get him on the ground? Boy's crook 24/7!

Primmy
14th October 2009, 09:19 AM
All well and good but how you gonna get him on the ground? Boy's crook 24/7!

I understand he worked in stats off ground and did a good line in commentary, but with a year out he may just now be fresh as a daisy. Or not. Since they kept him, then perhaps he will be good to go. Perhaps Mrs Roos had a go at him. Worked with Mick. :D

Tuhob
14th October 2009, 09:24 AM
Yes I remember listening to that draft on SEN and being excited when it got to our pick as Mitch Brown was still available. I was disappointed when O'Keefe's name was read out as he wasn't even rated a top 30 prospect by the experts at the time.

Imagine if we had the 2 big tanks of Brown and White roaming our forward line now :eek:

Was that Barham's last draft????

I think so. I believe Kinnear Beatson came on board for the next year (2007) when we picked up Veszpremi, Meredith and Bird in the ND of 2007 and Johnson, Hannebery and Heath last year. Apart from Johnson and Heath who have been injured the others have certainly shown that they could be good players. I have utmost faith in the recruiting team particularly Beatson as his record is v.good when he was Brisbane's chief recruiter and I think this has continued with the swans:

Beatson's Babes (http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=40902)

THE BRISBANE LIONS AT THE NAB AFL DRAFT UNDER KINNEAR BEATSON

No.5 ? Luke Power
No.31 ? Simon Black
No.73 ? Beau McDonald

No.1 - Des Headland
No.33 - Craig Bolton

No.30 (Father/son) ? Jonathan Brown

No.13 ? Ash McGrath
No.22 ? Richard Hadley
No.29 ? Jamie Charman

No.19 - Jason Gram

No.3 ? Jared Brennan
No.19 ? Troy Selwood
No.30 ? Daniel Merrett
No.44 ? Anthony Corrie

No.23 ? Matthew Moody
No.33 ? Jed Adcock
No.61 ? Michael Rischitelli

No.18 ? Cameron Wood
No.27 ? Pat Garner
No.45 ? Justin Sherman

No.9 ? Mitchell Clark
No.25 ? Wayde Mills
No.41 ? Rhan Hooper
No.56 ? Joel Patfull

hammo
14th October 2009, 09:36 AM
I understand he worked in stats off ground and did a good line in commentary, but with a year out he may just now be fresh as a daisy. Or not. Since they kept him, then perhaps he will be good to go. Perhaps Mrs Roos had a go at him. Worked with Mick. :D

It's called a playing list which would infer those on it collecting a salary are expected to play a game of football now and then.

Primmy
14th October 2009, 09:49 AM
It's called a playing list which would infer those on it collecting a salary are expected to play a game of football now and then.

When you lose six senior players in one hit it would not be unreasonable to hang on to one with senior experience for another season. That's list management.

Captain
14th October 2009, 10:08 AM
I think so. I believe Kinnear Beatson came on board for the next year (2007) when we picked up Veszpremi, Meredith and Bird in the ND of 2007 and Johnson, Hannebery and Heath last year. Apart from Johnson and Heath who have been injured the others have certainly shown that they could be good players. I have utmost faith in the recruiting team particularly Beatson as his record is v.good when he was Brisbane's chief recruiter and I think this has continued with the swans:

I think you are onto something here. Beatson record as a recruiter seems miles better than Barhams.

Plugger46
14th October 2009, 10:15 AM
When you lose six senior players in one hit it would not be unreasonable to hang on to one with senior experience for another season. That's list management.

One that can't get on the park and one that doesn't offer a hell of a lot when he actually does get on the park.

I'm all for keeping the right balance of youth and experience but I don't see the point in holding on to average, injury-prone, experienced players just for the sake of it.

ShockOfHair
14th October 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Tuhob, an enlightening post. The guy knows how to recruit for premierships. WE've done all right by him the last two drafts.

As for Playfair, he may not be much, but he can be not much in a number of positions.

Primmy
14th October 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tuhob, an enlightening post. The guy knows how to recruit for premierships. WE've done all right by him the last two drafts.

As for Playfair, he may not be much, but he can be not much in a number of positions.

Exactly!!! He may be chewing gum, but at least he exists.

liz
14th October 2009, 11:46 AM
To be fair to Barham, we've had a pretty good return on late picks and rookie picks. Not sure exactly when Barham came on board, but to get players of the quality of O'Keefe, Goodes, Buchanan, Malceski, Schneider, Jack, Kirk, Smith at the positions they were picked in the draft probably compares well with most other clubs.

And while our hit rate with earlier picks hasn't been great, I suspect there are plenty of other clubs with equally ordinary records. It ain't an easy task!

Donners
14th October 2009, 11:51 AM

Worked for Ryan O'Connor. All he has to do is be big, and that's one thing he can't really stuff up.

BSA5
14th October 2009, 12:34 PM
I reckon we've got one more senior list delistment to go.

Assuming we elevate two players to the veterans list to replace Leo and Magic (probably Kirk and Goodes), that leaves us (before delistments) with 4 list spaces to fill (5 retirements, 3 players traded out, 4 traded in).

Thornton seems a certainty for a rookie-list promotion, and apparently Orreal has signed a 2-year senior list deal.

Given that we traded for pick 55 at the end of the trade period, it's likely we intend to use it (though not certain, we didn't use the pick we got in exchange for Rhyce Shaw last year). Assuming we do use it, that's a total of at least 5 picks we intend to use in this draft. We will also probably want to be active in the PSD. We'll probably leave a spot there. So that's 6 list spots we need, plus two for rookies, for a total of 8.

Talking delistments, we've so far got 3. That leaves 7 spots. One more delistment is necessary, and you'd think it will come down to one of Schmidt or Playfair. My guess is that they're waiting to see how Playfair goes. If he's not up to it, Schmidt stays, if he is, Schmidt goes.

Hartijon
14th October 2009, 12:52 PM

Assuming we elevate two players to the veterans list to replace Leo and Magic (probably Kirk and Goodes), that leaves us (before delistments) with 4 list spaces to fill (5 retirements, 3 players traded out, 4 traded in).

Thornton seems a certainty for a rookie-list promotion, and apparently Orreal has signed a 2-year senior list deal.

Given that we traded for pick 55 at the end of the trade period, it's likely we intend to use it (though not certain, we didn't use the pick we got in exchange for Rhyce Shaw last year). Assuming we do use it, that's a total of at least 5 picks we intend to use in this draft. We will also probably want to be active in the PSD. We'll probably leave a spot there. So that's 6 list spots we need, plus two for rookies, for a total of 8.
Talking delistments, we've so far got 3. That leaves 7 spots. One more delistment is necessary, and you'd think it will come down to one of Schmidt or Playfair. My guess is that they're waiting to see how Playfair goes. If he's not up to it, Schmidt stays, if he is, Schmidt goes.

I reckon you are right. Schmidt is a bit unlucky to be in this position because I feel he played well when given the chance and would be less of a risk than Playfair who I can take or leave. Playfair is servicable without being a match winner and one wonders about his skills under extreme pressure. Schmidt is the more likely cool under pressure player and as the GF this year so clearly illustrated,unless you can perform under extreme pressure you will not win a Flag. Having said that,the drafting situation is as interesting as I can remember while the trading has been outstanding.I think all fans are excited about the new Swans team

Captain
14th October 2009, 02:03 PM
No way that Schmidt should or will be delisted.

BSA5
14th October 2009, 05:17 PM
No way that Schmidt should or will be delisted.

You've got to be fit before you can play. It would be a shame, but I could understand if the coaching staff made the call.

Captain
14th October 2009, 06:20 PM
You've got to be fit before you can play. It would be a shame, but I could understand if the coaching staff made the call.

Agree to disagree then. I don't think he will or should be delisted.

goswannies
14th October 2009, 06:27 PM
sss

goswannies
14th October 2009, 06:28 PM
The Swans have delisted Ryan Brabazon, Matthew Laidlaw, Daniel O'Keefe

laughingnome
14th October 2009, 06:30 PM
According to afl.com.au the Swans have delisted...

Daniel O'Keefe
Ryan Brabazon
Matthew Laidlaw

See page one...

ugg
16th October 2009, 11:54 AM
DOK to train with the Hawks.

stellation
16th October 2009, 12:14 PM
I'd expect DOK to get redrafted, 2 years ago he apparently had quite a few clubs that had noted him down for one of their 2nd/3rd round picks.

He's still young, I don't expect people would have gone that off him.

Molly dooker
16th October 2009, 04:06 PM
May I ask, why would we not put Kirky and Goodes on the Veteran's list? I know that the players on the list don't have their salaries calculated, but does it mean that as a player they don't count in the teams #'s? Also, is the Veteran's list limited to 2 players?

SimonH
16th October 2009, 09:18 PM
May I ask, why would we not put Kirky and Goodes on the Veteran's list? I know that the players on the list don't have their salaries calculated, but does it mean that as a player they don't count in the teams #'s? Also, is the Veteran's list limited to 2 players?The short and easy answer is they're not there because we haven't lodged our list yet (we're not obliged to do so 'til 30 October).

Sorry the long answer is so boring, but it just is.

You have 2 choices with your vet-qualifying players: inside veterans, or outside veterans. You nominate which you're going for, when you lodge your team list with the AFL.

The effect on your salary cap is the same, whether inside or outside: the salary paid to your veterans only counts half towards the salary cap. (You can list 3 veterans-- and with JBolt as well, Sydney could do this in 2010-- with the result that each player's salary counts two-thirds towards your salary cap.)

The difference is that outside veterans (and you can only have a maximum of 2) sit 'outside' your 38-man senior squad, i.e. if you have 2 outside veterans, then in effect you have a 40-man senior squad. A big advantage. You only wouldn't list veterans as 'outside veterans', as far as I can tell, because you have salary cap or financial problems (e.g. you can't afford to be paying 40 wages, or can't have 38 full wages plus 2 half-wages counting towards the cap, or you'll tip over the edge).

The only trade-off for listing outside veterans, is that for each outside veteran, that's one less rookie you can take. So for a standard club in a standard year (ignoring the 'special' rookie shenanigans that appear to be constantly evolving) you have a 38-man senior list and up to 6 rookies. If you have 2 outside veterans, that becomes 40 senior players but no more than 4 rookies.

SimonH
16th October 2009, 09:24 PM

Talking delistments, we've so far got 3. That leaves 7 spots. One more delistment is necessary, and you'd think it will come down to one of Schmidt or Playfair. My guess is that they're waiting to see how Playfair goes. If he's not up to it, Schmidt stays, if he is, Schmidt goes.Answered your own question. I can't see us doing further delistings just to make room for the wonder that is pick 55. Pick 55 is just a resource to have in our back pockets if we need it.

If the Swans could by any other means get a 2010 senior squad they were happy with, and only use 3 live picks in the ND, I'm quite sure they'd do so.

31 hard at it
16th October 2009, 09:44 PM
Playfair has been given a month to prove his fitness.
Mid November is the deadline.
A 1 year contract if he is ok.

Molly dooker
17th October 2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks Simon H, your answer is clear and I understand a lot more now.