PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Rate a Season: #3 Jarrad McVeigh

AnnieH
19th October 2009, 04:11 PM
You know you want to ...

AnnieH
19th October 2009, 04:12 PM
Not as good as his 2008 season, but heaps better than what we saw prior to that.

Seems that the footy brain is here to stay.

reigning premier
19th October 2009, 04:21 PM
7 - Pretty disappointing. Spud like on some occassions. After a break out year in 2008 he went backwards. Very disappointing TBH. We know he is capable of more. We need him to do more if we're going to get anywhere near a flag in the next 5 years. You're supposedley "elite" now Jarrad. Pull your @@@@ing finger out and go and get some ball.

Plugger46
19th October 2009, 04:24 PM
Probably not quite as good as 2008 but that might be just perception, as we now expect so much more from him.

Gave him a 7. Probably should have been an 8 the more I think about it.

We've got a gun midfielder for the next 7 years or so.

BeeEmmAre
19th October 2009, 04:29 PM
I agree with the previous posters.
IMO he didn't take the next step from his great year in 2008, although that probably had a lot to do with the extra attention he was receiving being a best and fairest winner.
I don't think he had a bad year at all, but he did find it tougher than previously to have a major impact, while the hamstring also played a significant role.
He'll be better for this season, and there is room for improvement.

6/10.

Vonsteinman
19th October 2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah a 7 from me as well. He certainly did cop a fair bit of extra attention but I hope he is good enough to deal with that better next year.

I wouldn't go so far as to call his season disappointing, he actually put in a number of very good performances. But much like the team, I guess there was some inconsistency.

Loved his game against Hawthorn early on and also won't forget too quickly his goals against Carlton at home in round 4 or 5...

ShockOfHair
19th October 2009, 04:59 PM
I rated him really high, probably more than he deserved for the whole year, but mainly on the memory of his game against Carlton and his blinder against St Kilda (until injured). He's a great playmaker for us, sometimes sensational -- not quite Ablett or Judd but one of the elite midfielders.

UglyDuckling
19th October 2009, 05:08 PM
A little disappointing bu only because i expected a really big season out of him. Was probably hampered a bit by his hamstring. This year was also the first time he had been heavily tagged and that will probably take a bit of time for him to work through.

Still love him, primed for a big one next year

bedford
19th October 2009, 05:12 PM
5 for me, seemed to struggle at times with taggers

Lucky Knickers
19th October 2009, 05:21 PM
I gave him an 8. I think one of our most important players on the park. A fact that I realised this season when he wasn't there. Is continuing to improve and gain confidence. A player that now asserts himself on a game. He's only going to get better.

CJK
19th October 2009, 06:07 PM
McHack!!!! - solid 7 from me

alison.z
19th October 2009, 06:09 PM
i think his lack of progress this year was a lot to do with niggling injuries - he showed flashes of brilliance and at worst was pretty good

RogueSwan
19th October 2009, 06:38 PM
Probably not quite as good as 2008 but that might be just perception, as we now expect so much more from him.
That's how I see it too. I voted in haste and now regret not giving him a 7 or 8.

Jeffers1984
19th October 2009, 08:17 PM
Solid 7. Looked really good in some games but i think his troubled hammy got the better of him and he seemed to play some really ordinary games.

Needs to stamp his influence more next year and i know he can.

Primmy
19th October 2009, 09:07 PM
Good quality seven from me; maintained his quality of work, and I am glad of it.

Armchair Coach
20th October 2009, 12:00 AM
I gave him 5. Bit of a meh-factor this year, considering 2008. He was out injured though at times. He needs to (and can be) alot better.

BeeEmmAre
20th October 2009, 06:39 AM
Score after 27 voters - 7.07/10

Chilcott
20th October 2009, 08:49 AM
I wanteed to give him a 6.5.

Had some very good games, but was quiet in other games.

I think that was due playing while injured. Had problems with his groins and hammy's this season.

caj23
20th October 2009, 09:11 AM
7 - Which may be a bit harsh as I definitely think he was hampered by injuries last season. One of our most important players now and we really missed him when he was absent.

If he can get a bit more support in the midfield next year he will really tear it up

Late developers those McVeigh boys!!

hammo
20th October 2009, 09:32 AM
Geez I wonder whether some people actually watch Swans games.

McVeigh actually averaged more possessions in 2009 than 2008, although his goal kicking was a bit down.

Fair enough he's being judged on a harder scale now, but he's also being tagged harder by the opposition.

McVeigh's possessions would be worth two for every one of Rhys Shaw's who is getting universal praise for bouncing the ball while largely running around in circles in the back half with no opponent.

Go Swannies
20th October 2009, 10:02 AM

McVeigh actually averaged more possessions in 2009 than 2008, although his goal kicking was a bit down.

Fair enough he's being judged on a harder scale now, but he's also being tagged harder by the opposition.

McVeigh's possessions would be worth two for every one of Rhys Shaw's who is getting universal praise for bouncing the ball while largely running around in circles in the back half with no opponent.

That's a pretty tough assessment on a B&F leader who also led the AFL for metres gained.

Would you say McVeigh's possessions are worth more than, say, Goodes?

reigning premier
20th October 2009, 10:30 AM

So more posessions = Better season but more posessions by Shaw = not as good as McVeigh. :confused: I'm confused. Think you are too.

AnnieH
20th October 2009, 11:00 AM
What a huge difference this thread is to the rating thread the year before last.

Good one McHack.

caj23
20th October 2009, 11:00 AM
The poing Hammo was making was that McVeigh's season is underrated by supporters relative to Shaw's.

McVeigh's use of the ball is far superior to Shaw's and I don't see how you could argue with that.

reigning premier
20th October 2009, 11:20 AM
The poing Hammo was making was that McVeigh's season is underrated by supporters relative to Shaw's.

McVeigh's use of the ball is far superior to Shaw's and I don't see how you could argue with that.

Under rated because he under performed. I think McVeigh is our best player. The only one that comes close is Goodes. But the fact is he had an ordinary season.

Vonsteinman
20th October 2009, 11:41 AM

Bob Skilton Medal
1. Ryan O?Keefe ? 528 points
2. Rhyce Shaw ? 453 points
3. Brett Kirk ? 421 points
4. Darren Jolly ? 415 points
5. Adam Goodes ? 394 points
6. Jarrad McVeigh ? 366 points

Turns out the Swans coaches weren't watching either Hammo ;)

hammo
20th October 2009, 12:01 PM
So more posessions = Better season but more posessions by Shaw = not as good as McVeigh. :confused: I'm confused. Think you are too.
No. Possession stats for defenders mean nothing in modern football. A large proportion of Shaw's stats come from him running behind the fullback to switch play, getting a handpass then runing off up field with a few bounces and bombing long to a contest on centre wing. Often he'll track back to the other side of the ground and rack up a few more bounces. Fair enough that's his role, but his high number of possessions and being the leading bouncer in the AFL don't automatically indicate a better season than McVeigh who wins his possessions at clearances.

Spot on.

Under rated because he under performed. I think McVeigh is our best player. The only one that comes close is Goodes. But the fact is he had an ordinary season.
You say he underperformed but his stats say otherwise. Maybe he underperformed according to expectations which were set very high, just as Shaw exceeded his quite modest expectations in comparison.

Bob Skilton Medal
1. Ryan O?Keefe ? 528 points
2. Rhyce Shaw ? 453 points
3. Brett Kirk ? 421 points
4. Darren Jolly ? 415 points
5. Adam Goodes ? 394 points
6. Jarrad McVeigh ? 366 points

Turns out the Swans coaches weren't watching either Hammo ;)

Well I am not privy to their reasoning of course, but the Swans coaching panel have historically rated first year, ex Collingwood players very highly - Shauble, Williams and now Shaw. ;)

reigning premier
20th October 2009, 02:43 PM
No. Possession stats for defenders mean nothing in modern football. A large proportion of Shaw's stats come from him running behind the fullback to switch play, getting a handpass then runing off up field with a few bounces and bombing long to a contest on centre wing. Often he'll track back to the other side of the ground and rack up a few more bounces. Fair enough that's his role, but his high number of possessions and being the leading bouncer in the AFL don't automatically indicate a better season than McVeigh who wins his possessions at clearances.

If they mean nothing, why did you say his possession count was up in your original post?? Probably best not to argue for stats in McVeigh's case and then use them against Shaw in the next post. Makes you look confused.

laughingnome
20th October 2009, 03:15 PM

Are you suggesting that there is no merit in switching play from one side of the ground to the other?

I understand the suggestion McVeigh had a harder time this year with tags and that midfielders in general are under more pressure with possessions, but I don't think that's the point. I believe every player on the park busts a gut trying to do their best (with rare exception). These rankings refer not to how hard they tried but to how effective they were. The general perception seems to be McViegh's effectiveness was down as the pressure on him increased, whereas Shaw's effectiveness was up given his role as a running back, something both he and his brother excell at but neither had been given clearance to do regularly before this year. I would be suprised if Shaw ranks as high next year as he no doubt will recieve more defensive pressure from the opposition forward line.

Primmy
20th October 2009, 03:58 PM

In other words they work well together :rolleyes:

BeeEmmAre
4th November 2009, 04:24 PM
Score after 39 voters - 7.18/10

Leaderboard
8.28 -- 2. Rhyce Shaw
7.18 -- 3. Jarrad McVeigh
3.67 -- 1. Barry Hall

7th November 2009, 08:29 AM

Whilst he wasnt at the year befores level he still was very good.

Macca , now needs to learn how to shake a tag and then he will push to become one of the comps premier midfielders.
Knows how to get it and use, though needs to have more impact whe being tagged. Injuries this year also didnt help.

Very good year though

BeeEmmAre
11th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Score after 41 voters - 7.20/10

Leaderboard
8.27 -- 2. Rhyce Shaw
7.20 -- 3. Jarrad McVeigh
3.76 -- 1. Barry Hall

573v30
13th November 2009, 11:44 PM
7/10

Nowhere near as dominant as last year and he had several ordinary games but he also had a few injuries that had an impact on his performance. He did improve his average disposals (21.1 in 2009 vs. 19.5 in 2008) but wasn't as consistent, although his days of being a hack are long gone. He'll regain his 2008 form next year I reckon.

BeeEmmAre
18th November 2009, 10:53 PM
Weekly update

Score after 44 voters - 7.23/10 (318/440)

Leaderboard
8.25 -- 2. Rhyce Shaw
7.23 -- 3. Jarrad McVeigh
3.86 -- 1. Barry Hall

BeeEmmAre
25th November 2009, 09:55 PM
Weekly update

Score after 46 voters - 7.22/10 (332/460)

Leaderboard
8.26 -- 2. Rhyce Shaw
7.22 -- 3. Jarrad McVeigh
3.90 -- 1. Barry Hall

BeeEmmAre
4th January 2010, 09:11 PM
Weekly update

Score after 47 voters - 7.23/10 (340/470)

Leaderboard
9.41 -- Swans Recruiters
8.30 -- 2. Rhyce Shaw
7.23 -- 3. Jarrad McVeigh
3.90 -- 1. Barry Hall