PDA

View Full Version : Team GWS

Cheer Squad
21st October 2009, 09:12 PM
Well, the AFL announced today some of the concessions available to the new western Sydney team, known for the moment as Team GWS.

Second Sydney club's ticket to success | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26238193-5012432,00.html)

Free kicks heaven for West's recruiters - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/free-kicks-heaven-for-wests-recruiters/2009/10/20/1255891816734.html)

We haven't really discussed our impending competitor in any detail on RWO. Are people trying to ignore Team GWS in the hope that the whole thing will go away, or just plain collapse, and we'll continue to have Sydney all to ourselves?

FWIW, we'll probably get an idea of how successful the AFL will be at engineering Team GWS after the Gold Coast team enters the competition in 2011. After all, Gold Coast will have been created as a result of the same sort of Frankenstein-engineering.

The AFL will probably be able to create a competitive footy team, but whether or not they can create a brand identity that resonates with their intended target market is another thing.

goswannie14
21st October 2009, 09:38 PM
We haven't really discussed our impending competitor in any detail on RWO. Are people trying to ignore Team GWS in the hope that the whole thing will go away, or just plain collapse, and we'll continue to have Sydney all to ourselves?
You are kidding, right?

Benny&thejets
21st October 2009, 09:50 PM
Not going to go away at all. It will be like when the Swans moved here in 1982. It will take between 10-20 years for the team to become sucessful.

Cheer Squad
22nd October 2009, 08:29 AM
You are kidding, right?

Not at all. Team GWS is definitely going to have an impact on the Swans in Sydney; it's just a question of how much, and whether it's positive, or negative.

I think the key to the whole thing is how appealing the new brand is going to be.

RogueSwan
22nd October 2009, 08:47 AM

You are kidding, right?

Not at all. Team GWS is definitely going to have an impact on the Swans in Sydney...

I think GS14 is responding to your comment that we RWOer's are naive enough to think that GWS will disappear. It is a joke that you think that lowly of us (RWOer's) isn't it?

CureTheSane
22nd October 2009, 09:02 AM
A new Sydney team is pretty much the same as a new WA team to me.
Only difference is a possible impact on the Swans with rivalry etc.
Will be a while coming though you'd think.

I'm more interested to see how the draw develops.
I'd love to get to a point of playing each team once.
I know there would be a home game advantage in some instances, but compared to the current system, it would still be far fairer.

AnnieH
22nd October 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm ready to boo the blacktown bogans.

floppinab
22nd October 2009, 10:01 AM
The thing that comes to mind wrt Team GWS and the media they've got over the last few days is just how much they've got to put together in just 2 short years.

I understand they are still a long way from pulling together a list for the TAC Cup next year. Not to mention having the club structure in place to run a team that will travel into VIC every second week next year.
They've only just appointed a GM.
In comparison to the GC who had an extra year to put their first TAC Cup squad together, appointed a very experienced coach, conducted a strong community campaign.................
GWS have a good training facility no doubt about that but considering at this time in 2 years they'll be gearing up to start pre-season prior to their first season in the AFL, I'm more than a little concerned for them given the amount they've got to do in two years.

AnnieH
22nd October 2009, 10:08 AM
Smart move by the AFL to get an NRL man to get things going.
I've lived "out there". League (and soccer) and the games of choice. They're seriously going to be pushing @@@@ uphill for a loooooonnnnnngggggg time.

Lucky Knickers
22nd October 2009, 10:24 AM
You are kidding, right?

I laughed. Where is that tongue in cheek smilie

BLT
22nd October 2009, 12:29 PM
i received a Team GWS supporters email today - not sure how i found myself on the receiving end of it.

ScottH
22nd October 2009, 12:33 PM
i received a Team GWS supporters email today - not sure how i found myself on the receiving end of it.

So did wardy.

Maybe I accidentally sold all your emails to them. ;)

AnnieH
22nd October 2009, 12:55 PM
Post it. I want to see what they have to say that's going to convince me to part company with the Swans.

Wardy
22nd October 2009, 12:56 PM
shocked the crap out of me I can tell you - I still dont know how on earth I got onto their mailing list. I thought at one point it might have been one of the blokes I deal with at QBE playing tricks on me (but was assured that wasn't the case) so I will keep you all posted should I receive any more.

ScottH
22nd October 2009, 01:15 PM
Not a lot that wan't in the medai already.

This your sneak preview of the Team GWS Supporter Newsletter.
We have a commitment to ensure our supporters are kept up to date with all of our news as it happens.
Register on line today at Team GWS (www.teamgws.com.au) and make sure you have access to all the breaking news about Team GWS, before anyone else.

Welcome to the first edition of the official Team GWS supporter Newsletter
As a valued supporter, we are committed to keeping you up to date with all of the Team GWS news as it happens.
Here are some of the latest stories from the Team GWS headquarters.

Breaking News -
Team GWS Welcomes AFL Commission Announcement
Today, the AFL Commission officially announced the list, draft and player concessions which will be awarded to Team GWS.
The nature of the concessions awarded give credit to the size of the challenge ahead and differences that exist between the build of our list for Team GWS and that of the Gold Coast Franchise. The access we have been given to the National talent pool is in line with these differences.
We are delighted with the access that we have also been given to players in NT, ACT and Southern NSW...

Grant Mayer joins Team GWS
Team GWS is pleased to announce the appointment of Grant Mayer, as General Manager, Corporate Partnerships.
Mayer, former Manly Warringah Sea Eagles CEO, is a key appointment for the campaign to secure the 18th AFL license.
Commencing 2 November, Mayer is charged with securing commercial sponsorship for the proposed club, developing foundation and campaign partnerships...

Team GWS set to join the TAC Cup in 2010
Earlier this month the AFL announced that Team GWS will join the TAC Cup U18 competition in 2010.
Team GWS High Performance Manager Alan McConnell will coach the team.
McConnell recently commenced work with Team GWS after serving for five years as the AIS/AFL Academy High Performance Coach...

Corporate Supporters
Team GWS is proud to officially welcome the following Foundation Partners who have demonstrated they're committed to the success of Team GWS.
Just some of the local businesses to have shown their support include:
? ARW 1800Taxman
? Print Logistix
? Crowne Plaza Norwest
Corporate supporters are essential to our success and we look forward to working with many more local businesses, to help make the 18th AFL team in Greater Western Sydney a reality.
A partnership with Team GWS offers a range of benefits and opportunities to network with other business' on a national and local level so don't miss your opportunity to join a select group of premium partners and brands and be part of the journey to 2012.
Team GWS Partnerships are strictly limited, so don't miss out!

Watch this Space
Over the coming months we will have some exciting announcements to share ? so make sure that all of your family and friends are registered so they too can find out all the exclusive news right here.
Watch this space for news on:
-Latest Football Announcements
-Campaign Milestones
-Exclusive video and news content
-And more?

mcs
22nd October 2009, 03:11 PM
shocked the crap out of me I can tell you - I still dont know how on earth I got onto their mailing list. I thought at one point it might have been one of the blokes I deal with at QBE playing tricks on me (but was assured that wasn't the case) so I will keep you all posted should I receive any more.

I also recieved it as well- not impressed at all. When you click the unsubscribe link at the top of the email though, you get redirected through a ticketmaster website to the Team GWS page. My guess is Team GWS is using a mailing list of those that have bought tickets through ticketmaster to Swans games or other games in Canberra.... just a thought perhaps but I don't know how else I ended up on the list. I'm red and white tthrough and through, not a blue and black western suburbs bogan!

Wardy
22nd October 2009, 03:17 PM
that might be it - but I havent bought tickets with ticketmaster for a couple of years - anyway - there is always the delete button!

ScottH
22nd October 2009, 08:26 PM
I got the email too, on my personal account!!

Strange.

Cheer Squad
22nd October 2009, 08:44 PM

shocked the crap out of me I can tell you - I still dont know how on earth I got onto their mailing list.

I also recieved it as well- not impressed at all.

I got the email too, on my personal account!!

This is the sort of thing I was referring to when it comes to how Team GWS will impact the Swans, especially in Sydney.

It's what the club is most afraid of - that rather than help grow the market in Sydney, Team GWS will target existing Swans supporters to see how many are "soft", and whom they might be able to eventually dislodge.

What concerns me is that Team GWS is going to be the AFL' s #1 pet project - way more important to them than Gold Coast, or wherever else they want to establish a team. Probably more important than some of the existing clubs, too. Remember, they're chasing a region with 2 million people.

I think the AFL will back Team GWS instead of us in the event of a conflict of interest. That's what worries me.

Cher
22nd October 2009, 09:51 PM
I got the email too. I don't think I have ever bought football tickets at Ticketmaster.
Maybe they joined RWO and got our email addresses .

Edit: When I try to unsubscribe, it takes me to Ticketmaster and I get a window "Log into My Team GWS Account Manager to Edit Your Profile" It gives an account ID and I have to put in my password.

If it is Ticketmaster that have breached the privacy act why would they send it to me when I live in Geelong??

Wardy
23rd October 2009, 07:28 AM
This is the sort of thing I was referring to when it comes to how Team GWS will impact the Swans, especially in Sydney.

It's what the club is most afraid of - that rather than help grow the market in Sydney, Team GWS will target existing Swans supporters to see how many are "soft", and whom they might be able to eventually dislodge.

What concerns me is that Team GWS is going to be the AFL' s #1 pet project - way more important to them than Gold Coast, or wherever else they want to establish a team. Probably more important than some of the existing clubs, too. Remember, they're chasing a region with 2 million people.

I think the AFL will back Team GWS instead of us in the event of a conflict of interest. That's what worries me.

As odd as it is - at the end of the day it is only an email (and I didnt read it either - just deleted it) and I dont think it is really anything to worry about at the moment. But if, as you say, the club is most afraid of what the GWS franchise may do - then competition for our affection in this city may finally prompt the Swans to get off their arses and treat their members with a bit more respect.

They want our unconditional love & loyalty (and not to mention the membership spondoolies;) ) But like any relationship it has to go both ways. We want to feel the love back from the club too.

I'm still undecided on the idea of another team, however it seems, like it or not, the GWS is coming and there is naught we can do about it, so the Swans need to act fast.

The 2009 membership year, as we all know, was fraught with lousy service, late membership packs, for many a major price hike, and the list goes on. The backlash of lost members was telling and now with the imminent installation of another team the Swans have to get cracking and be one step ahead of the new kids in town.

Having said that - sure, in the interim, the AFL will throw a heap of cash at the GWS, they have to so it is established in the market place - but dont think for a second that they will take their eye off the Swans. They want two teams in Australia's largest city - they will do their utmost to make sure it stays that way,despite what we think at the moment. We just all have to try and look at the bigger picture and turn what we all think at the moment is a negative into a positive.

You will also get those footy followers who just love footy - and if there is a chance to go to a live senior AFL game in Sydney every weekend, then you will have some people with dual memberships - they may love the Swans, but they may just love to the get their footy fix each weekend and dont care who is playing.

Anyway - we wait and see I guess.

ScottH
23rd October 2009, 08:23 AM
I got the email too. I don't think I have ever bought football tickets at Ticketmaster.
Maybe they joined RWO and got our email addresses .

Edit: When I try to unsubscribe, it takes me to Ticketmaster and I get a window "Log into My Team GWS Account Manager to Edit Your Profile" It gives an account ID and I have to put in my password.

If it is Ticketmaster that have breached the privacy act why would they send it to me when I live in Geelong??

Not possible.
Anyway, my email on RWO is different to the one that they used.

If it is Ticketmaster, they should be BIG trouble!!

I sent teamgws an email telling them that I never requested there stuff.

I also noted on the ticketmaster unsubscribe link (which I've now opted out of)

Team GWS Ambassador: Would you be interested in finding out about how you can be an embassador and help grow the support for the new AFL team for Greater Western Sydney?

embarrassing.

tara
23rd October 2009, 09:17 AM
How many of you guys have an involvement at any level with the AFL - ie kids playing at a junior level, yourself still playing etc etc - Logic would tell you that is how they have your details.

Wardy
23rd October 2009, 10:08 AM
How many of you guys have an involvement at any level with the AFL - ie kids playing at a junior level, yourself still playing etc etc - Logic would tell you that is how they have your details.

Logic you say ??? hmm well I dont have kids, I'm a 45 year old woman so I dont play footy, I dont have any involvement with any junior footy clubs - I'm only a member of the Swans & Cronulla Sharks NRL club. So maybe they have the Swans or sharkies mailing list?

tara
23rd October 2009, 10:17 AM
Logic you say ??? hmm well I dont have kids, I'm a 45 year old woman so I dont play footy, I dont have any involvement with any junior footy clubs - I'm only a member of the Swans & Cronulla Sharks NRL club. So maybe they have the Swans or sharkies mailing list?

Id hazzard a guess that given the AFL own everything they have some sort of access to the Swans mailing/member lists and probably have some obscure claus that allows them to do what they like with it.

I know that the only reason I get the information is becuase of my involvement with footy here.

ScottH
23rd October 2009, 10:22 AM

Nope, except for swans membership, no other involvement.

But I'd hazard a guess that it is some sweetheart deal done with ticketmaster, as that is where the subscription lies, or at least did.

Glenn
23rd October 2009, 11:59 AM
Hmmm get ticketmaster e-mails here, but nothing from GWS..obviously my server had the good sense to delete it before it hit my inbox. ;)

Cher
23rd October 2009, 01:22 PM
I just rang the phone number that shows up when you unsubscribe. They answered the phone something like NSW AFL. I asked was that Team GWS and the girl was a bit evasive, 'um no not really'. She put me through to someone else who said that she thought that the only people who were on their email list were people who had registered interest in GWS. She had no idea how I got on their list and promised to look into it and get back to me.

Yes I do have better things to do on my day off and I should go and do them!

AnnieH
23rd October 2009, 01:36 PM
Yes I do have better things to do on my day off and I should go and do them!

I can't think of anything better than starting to hassle the new kids in town. Maybe if we all rang and got them to check to see whether or not they had our email addresses and if they did, remove them.

We could keep them busy for a year!!

goswannie14
23rd October 2009, 08:15 PM
I think GS14 is responding to your comment that we RWOer's are naive enough to think that GWS will disappear. It is a joke that you think that lowly of us (RWOer's) isn't it?
I was actually refering to the assertion that it hadn't been discussed!

Each time it is mentioned it is discussed ad nauseum.

Cheer Squad
24th October 2009, 03:49 PM
Each time it is mentioned it is discussed ad nauseum.

So far we've only been discussing the concept of the second Sydney team.

Now we've actually got a bit of meat on the bones with the unveiling of all the draft concessions this week. Obviously this has got real implications for us and the rest of competition.

But, we still don't really know who we're up against, because the second Sydney team still doesn't have a name, or brand. And that's the most important thing in determining whether the new club will work, and what sort of effect (if any) it's going to have on us. Will the AFL's target market identify with the new club's brand?

That's what fascinates me about this whole thing. The people who run the AFL have shown, time and again, how little they really know or understand about the Sydney market. Who could forget Demetriou's clumsy outburst against the style of football we played the very year we won the flag?

I can only imagine the AFL is spending a huge amount of time and money on getting the brand right, because the new club will certainly fail if they haven't.

Wardy
26th October 2009, 11:50 AM
So far we've only been discussing the concept of the second Sydney team.

Now we've actually got a bit of meat on the bones with the unveiling of all the draft concessions this week. Obviously this has got real implications for us and the rest of competition.

But, we still don't really know who we're up against, because the second Sydney team still doesn't have a name, or brand. And that's the most important thing in determining whether the new club will work, and what sort of effect (if any) it's going to have on us. Will the AFL's target market identify with the new club's brand?

That's what fascinates me about this whole thing. The people who run the AFL have shown, time and again, how little they really know or understand about the Sydney market. Who could forget Demetriou's clumsy outburst against the style of football we played the very year we won the flag?

I can only imagine the AFL is spending a huge amount of time and money on getting the brand right, because the new club will certainly fail if they haven't.

I think that the AFL are so hell bent on not having a repeat of what happened when the Swans came to Sydney that they will dot every "i" and cross every "t" - the fact is its coming and it wont go away anytime soon - so we just have to wait and see what transpires.

floppinab
26th October 2009, 12:18 PM
Be very interested to see how you go Cher. Please post any details of what happens here.

Links to Ticketmaster are reminiscent of Norths attempts of getting a foothold here a few years ago. We all know how that turned out.............

that they will dot every "i" and cross every "t"

Obtaining email addresses by very dubious means is not a good start I would've thought.

My own dealings with the local AFL over the years as now coming up to a 10 year involvement in junior and senior footy have been less than exlemplary. By and large the most savvy and hardest working heads are stuck at ground level and paid a pittance and as a result don't last long and those at the top are grossly overpaid and have no general idea. Given that, my impression in this venture is some serious concern given a few not so impressive individuals at Moore Park are heavily involved.

AnnieH
26th October 2009, 12:25 PM
But, we still don't really know who we're up against, because the second Sydney team still doesn't have a name, or brand.

They're called the Blacktown Bogans and their brand is generic.

Wardy
26th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Be very interested to see how you go Cher. Please post any details of what happens here.

Links to Ticketmaster are reminiscent of Norths attempts of getting a foothold here a few years ago. We all know how that turned out.............

Obtaining email addresses by very dubious means is not a good start I would've thought.

My own dealings with the local AFL over the years as now coming up to a 10 year involvement in junior and senior footy have been less than exlemplary. By and large the most savvy and hardest working heads are stuck at ground level and paid a pittance and as a result don't last long and those at the top are grossly overpaid and have no general idea. Given that, my impression in this venture is some serious concern given a few not so impressive individuals at Moore Park are heavily involved.

North was already an established club and the fans and team didnt want to move so there was opposition more from Melbourne than here. The GWS on the other hand is starting from scratch - Its a different ball game. Despite what we think of the AFL, they will be hell bent on making this work whether we like it or not.

floppinab
26th October 2009, 01:03 PM
North was already an established club and the fans and team didnt want to move so there was opposition more from Melbourne than here. The GWS on the other hand is starting from scratch - Its a different ball game. Despite what we think of the AFL, they will be hell bent on making this work whether we like it or not.

All true Wardy, I was referring more to a parallel to the frurore that blew up when the Swans membership was contacted by North after they got their details from....... Ticketek I think it was then, rather than comparing generally what North was up against compared to GWS today.

Wardy
26th October 2009, 01:29 PM
All true Wardy, I was referring more to a parallel to the frurore that blew up when the Swans membership was contacted by North after they got their details from....... Ticketek I think it was then, rather than comparing generally what North was up against compared to GWS today.

Fair enough - oh well lets see what happens - if I get another email - I guess all I have to do is delete - or send them a not so nice reply !!!;):D

Cheer Squad
26th October 2009, 08:58 PM
Despite what we think of the AFL, they will be hell bent on making this work whether we like it or not.

Yes, and that's what worries me...it might be at our expense.

Wardy
27th October 2009, 07:18 AM
Yes, and that's what worries me...it might be at our expense.

Did you not read an earlier post??? I said that the AFL want to have 2 sides in Australia's largest city and populated state YES 2!!!- so do you honestly believe that they will let the Swans go down the tube?? they cant afford too - because if they did, then the AFL would have failed.

What the AFL are determined not to do though is make the same mistakes that the VFL made when Sydney first came here. It was a mess right from the start, corporate governence wasn't even entertained back then so they were left to their own devices. Now business practices have changed dramatically, audit requirements & business laws amoungst other things need to be adhered too. It is after all a business.

If you want to use the motorvehicle/supermarket analogy, its like having the Footy version of IGA (The Datsun 200B's) coming into a suburb that has previously only been serviced by Franklins (the Ford Cortina's) (I refuse to use the other two major supermarket players!;) ) its competition!!

The Swans Club also has to take the Bull by the horns and lift its game too - they have become complacent in some ways. Taking for granted the members loyalty for one and this year as we all know that back fired on them big time. They have been the lone team here for over 25 years - now its time for the Swans to step up and prove that they are the number one team in Sydney. So get cracking Swans!!!

Cheer Squad
27th October 2009, 07:43 AM
Did you not read an earlier post??? I said that the AFL want to have 2 sides in Australia's largest city and populated state YES 2!!!- so do you honestly believe that they will let the Swans go down the tube?? they cant afford too - because if they did, then the AFL would have failed.

I honestly believe that Team GWS will be the AFL's baby in a way that we never were...the fact that Swans members are receiving marketing material from Team GWS indicates they're nibbling around the edges of our membership base, perhaps probing for weaknesses...yes, the club certainly shot itself in the foot this year with the membership changes...it will be interesting to see how they respond next year.

ScottH
27th October 2009, 11:18 AM
I received a reply from team gws.

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your email regarding the Team GWS email.

Your name appeared on the ?Barry Hall Hall? database, which was an on-line AFL education initiative in NSW of which you must have signed up for ? and as such, a general email was sent out from AFLNSW outlining the progress of Team GWS.

We appreciate your advice regarding your support status for the Swans and will certainly remove your name from the database to avoid future correspondence regarding Team GWS ? and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Should you have any concerns, please don't hesitate to call me on (03) 9643 1947.

Yours sincerely,

Shaun Welch
AFL

Seems it is from the AFL.

Wardy
27th October 2009, 11:22 AM
I received a reply from team gws.

Seems it is from the AFL.

Well done 86 - problem solved!!!

AnnieH
27th October 2009, 11:55 AM
Barry Hall Hall?????

That's a bit rich using our details from there.

(Not that I got anything from them anyway.)

Big Al
27th October 2009, 01:19 PM
I would have no issue with a second team in Sydney if the Swans were a financial powerhouse and have more members than they can accomodate. Sadly none of those things are true so it is my opinion that it's too early for a second team.

ScottH
27th October 2009, 01:22 PM
Barry Hall Hall?????

That's a bit rich using our details from there.

(Not that I got anything from them anyway.)

I guess when the creditors moved in after Barry went bust, they must've sold everything in the Hall.

Wardy
27th October 2009, 01:58 PM
I would have no issue with a second team in Sydney if the Swans were a financial powerhouse and have more members than they can accomodate. Sadly none of those things are true so it is my opinion that it's too early for a second team.

You are right - but it seems that its going to happen regardless.

However, the Swans have had 2 years to get used to the idea and have really done nothing but whinge about it, which, with the benefit of hindsight, that wasnt a smart move.

To get the upper hand - which is what we really need, they need to get out there and advertise big time now to get more people on board - basically be pro-active.

I know its a simplistic view but I can't see the situation changing - GWS are coming, and I doubt the AFL will change their plans.

ugg
9th November 2009, 12:42 AM
Sheedy to coach GWS!

Sheedy swoops on Sydney | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedy-swoops-on-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1225795572148)

I think it's a great move, reminiscent of the appointment of Barassi as Swans coach. He will bring a great profile to the club and the code, no doubt will talk up the rivalry with the Swans

ScottH
9th November 2009, 06:22 AM
Sheedy to coach GWS!

Sheedy swoops on Sydney | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedy-swoops-on-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1225795572148)

I think it's a great move, reminiscent of the appointment of Barassi as Swans coach. He will bring a great profile to the club and the code, no doubt will talk up the rivalry with the Swans

You might have to change the person in your avatar, Ugg.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wardy
9th November 2009, 07:11 AM
Well its a good move on the GWS part - hardly a surprise really considering all the ground work he has done up here in promoting the cause. Oh well - we just have to wait and see what transpires - you never know - if rugby league has another bad year - and the Waratahs in the Union flop again - then people might change their minds and give following AFL a try. Boths the Swans and GWS could benefit.

Cheer Squad
10th November 2009, 07:56 AM
Sheedy to coach GWS!

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. It's a good move, simply because Sheedy's high profile will help attract attention to Team GWS. They'll need it.

Having said that, I think Greg Baum hit the nail on the head in today's press when he suggests even winning on the field might not be enough for Team GWS.

Bas
10th November 2009, 11:05 AM
Real Footy (http://news.realfooty.com.au/breaking-news-sport/eels-boss-laughs-off-afl-threat-in-west-20091109-i593.html)

"It's a pretty ordinary game and we have a much better product" - Osbourne.

There are some very arrogant comments made in this article by various people. The perfect attitude for the AFL to succeed.

shinerunner
10th November 2009, 02:30 PM
I think the key to the whole thing is how appealing the new brand is going to be.

kevin sheedy is a brand in him self kevin is the ultimate brand man look at the brand he created for essendon over the years. in his latest book released this time last year 08 , he mentions brand many times.
team GWS have mada a good descion in singing kev. i think thats the brand problem solved !!

shinerunner
10th November 2009, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=floppinab;463985]The thing that comes to mind wrt Team GWS and the media they've got over the last few days is just how much they've got to put together in just 2 short years.

I understand they are still a long way from pulling together a list for the TAC Cup next year. Not to mention having the club structure in place to run a team that will travel into VIC every second week next year.

......correct they have a @@@@ load of work to do in 2 years!!!
as for the TAC cup side things should pull together pretty quickly there. They would have already identified the talented player's and have been watching them for many years now, Through the Scholarship program and through the nsw/act Rams side that stems from teams such as the Stars Pigoens and Pironeers northern heat teams and ect.
i can tell you for FACT that they have already contacted a number of talented young player about the 2010 TAC cup side. and there pre season wont be far from getting under way.

ugg
10th November 2009, 02:50 PM
AFL on a hiding to nothing | Daily Telegraph NRL Experts Blog (http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/nrlexperts/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/afl_on_a_hiding_to_nothing/)

Very interesting reading.

AnnieH
10th November 2009, 03:12 PM
I noticed a logo in the background when they were interviewing the media-whore Sheeds ... are they going to be called the Western Sydney Rams? Have I missed something? I thought they were officially the Blacktown Bogans?

Mug Punter
10th November 2009, 03:26 PM
AFL on a hiding to nothing | Daily Telegraph NRL Experts Blog (http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/nrlexperts/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/afl_on_a_hiding_to_nothing/)

Obviously a very biased forum but a lot of those comments are very valid.

$200M, jeez that's a lot of moola on a hunch.

One thing I think the AFL really under-estimates is just how resilient rugby league is. Sheeds being appointed is a gimmick pure and simple, watching him milk the media for his own ego yesterday was just embarrassing...

Cheer Squad
10th November 2009, 06:09 PM
kevin sheedy is a brand in him self kevin is the ultimate brand man look at the brand he created for essendon over the years. in his latest book released this time last year 08 , he mentions brand many times.
team GWS have mada a good descion in singing kev. i think thats the brand problem solved !!

I think they've solved their salesman problem...we need to see details of the actual product before we can make a call on the brand...

Cheer Squad
10th November 2009, 06:12 PM

Did you notice where Dean Ritchie says ..."suddenly the AFL might have two rubbish teams in Sydney"...what a cheap shot at us!

Glenn
10th November 2009, 06:16 PM
Real Footy (http://news.realfooty.com.au/breaking-news-sport/eels-boss-laughs-off-afl-threat-in-west-20091109-i593.html)

"It's a pretty ordinary game and we have a much better product" - Osbourne.

There are some very arrogant comments made in this article by various people. The perfect attitude for the AFL to succeed.

Some arrogant comments on both side of the divide, wouldn't surprise me to see Sheedy as a figurehead of GWS and the tactical side handled by someone else.

Mug Punter
10th November 2009, 08:35 PM
Did you notice where Dean Ritchie says ..."suddenly the AFL might have two rubbish teams in Sydney"...what a cheap shot at us!

Unfortunately I believe he is right as the Bogans could well see the Swans suffering on all fronts but especially commercially. We are coming off the most successful spell on the field in our history, probably with our greatest ever coach but everyone assumes we will continue to be at the same level. We are due for a fall anyway and the Bogans coming on the scene will compound these issues.

Whilst the Melbourne clubs will have to accept one Sydney team on life-support for it's whole lifetime will they accept two?, especially when the AFL is quite happy to sacrifice Melbourne teams as part of it's business model.

Even with the entire Sydney market to itself, the Swans' history here is one of huge struggle and endurance in an incredibly fickle marketplace. This all seems to have been conveniently forgotten.

It all gets back to one key question - can Sydney sustain two AFL teams? I say no!

Cheer Squad
10th November 2009, 09:56 PM
Even with the entire Sydney market to itself, the Swans' history here is one of huge struggle and endurance in an incredibly fickle marketplace. This all seems to have been conveniently forgotten.

You're not wrong. And don't forget, it took quite a long time for us to finally get our brand right in Sydney.

BeeEmmAre
11th November 2009, 12:28 PM

Being a sports journalist myself, I can hardly take anything this bloke says seriously when he is so obviously biased towards one code.
If he and other like Paul Osborne want to keep their heads so firmly shoved up their own arses, well, as someone else said here, that's just another free kick to us.

**And I know that reads a bit hypocritical, but I can assure you that all the four football codes get good coverage in my sports section, with rugby league in fact receiving the most.

Wardy
11th November 2009, 12:40 PM
Being a sports journalist myself, I can hardly take anything this bloke says seriously when he is so obviously biased towards one code.
If he and other like Paul Osborne want to keep their heads so firmly shoved up their own arses, well, as someone else said here, that's just another free kick to us.

**And I know that reads a bit hypocritical, but I can assure you that all the four football codes get good coverage in my sports section, with rugby league in fact receiving the most.

you are 100% right - I read the blog of that idiot Ritchie- and just wants to create a storm all for exposure. He didnt have any real comeback other than this false scare mongering. He certaily didnt cope very well when told he was twisting the story and that his facts were rubbish.

Come to think of it channel 9 did a "survey" in Parramatta - now that should be taken with a grain of salt simply because they have the TV rights to rugby League (and none with AFL!) and would have only asked about 10 people - they showed all of what 3 people on the broadcast. there is no way they are going to give the AFL any love any time soon. So ignore that with the contemp it deserves.

anyone would think the world is going to end.

I do also find the "this is war" crap exactly that - crap - then you get that brains trust Mark Geyer yelling a few words - not in a sentance mind, but going on like a headless chook it just confirms one thing - that rugby league and its followers are really threatened by this - I'm not saying the AFL are going to take over - but it will give the NRL a bit of a shake, and its a shake that is badly needed.

As for for Paul Osborne - AFL's Boring huh? - hmm - stick to breeding mate, you would be collecting a heap of child endowment from the government for that tribe of kids.

laughingnome
11th November 2009, 02:07 PM

There were two things more then anything else that I think should be highlighted from this blog.

The first is the comments made about Premier Rees and his involvement in getting GWS up and running. Any mug can realise that more AFL teams/exposure = more income for the State Government from tourist dollars, not to mention the tenuous link between elite sports and a reduction in childhood obesity. To slander Rees for putting his arm around Sheedy and then attending the NRL Grand Final as a hypocrite is xenophobic at best.

The second is that it seems no one at the Daily Telegraph does fact checking. The AFL had 300,000 more viewers on Grand Final day then the NRL one, but Ritchie is hell-bent on stating otherwise. It reminds me of Bill O'Rielly - shout shout shout and if you can't make them believe you at least all other opinion will be silenced. Emails with evidence to Ritchie's own email and the sports editor at the DT have gone unanswered, to no suprise.

These are both symptoms of what I feel is a bigger problem: News Ltd's unquavering backing of the NRL. Yes, the DT is the "official" paper of the Sydney Swans, but that measn very little. It became painstakingly obvious this year about the vested interest News Ltd has when the sports section became an "NRL Scandal Free Zone", in an attempt to get the idiots off the back page. If the AFL wants to succeed in Sydney with two teams (and I say it will) it has to fight the media war as well. The appointment of Sheedy says the AFL knows what it's in for, which is good news for GWS and sports lovers.

Wardy
11th November 2009, 02:23 PM
you are right there - But News Ltd also being the part owner of the NRL franchise certainly showes their bias - yet in Melbourne the Herald Sun wouldnt survive if it wasnt for AFL - so News Ltd is being rather hypocritcal with what its doing up here.

Dean Ritchie was incapable of having a sensible or rational answer to the argument - it was scare mongering at its best - the sad thing is that its percieved to be a crime if you dare even say you follow both codes.

Just wait until the idiot Phil Rothfield put his two cents worth in - pure dribble!

The anology too that you can play internationals in Rugby league - what England, France, New Zealand and a gaggle of Pacific Islands - hardly a world cup is it?

But with all the crap going on it might prompt some to come out and actually stick up for the AFL.

alison.z
11th November 2009, 02:56 PM
I thought about responding to the blog but decided i wouldn't waste my words - it was inflammatory comment after inflammatory comment with no actual evidence or any proper reporting ... it sounded like a 12 year old ... IN YOUR OPINION, it is a boring sport ... he reported it as if it was a fact. I aspire to become a sports journalist and people like him really give journalists a bad image - he sounded like a bogan off the street!!

AnnieH
11th November 2009, 03:51 PM
I thought about responding to the blog but decided i wouldn't waste my words - it was inflammatory comment after inflammatory comment with no actual evidence or any proper reporting ... it sounded like a 12 year old ... IN YOUR OPINION, it is a boring sport ... he reported it as if it was a fact. I aspire to become a sports journalist and people like him really give journalists a bad image - he sounded like a bogan off the street!!

That's the exact market theo dimwit is trying to tap into.
:rolleyes:

alison.z
11th November 2009, 03:56 PM
I think that's just him!! Really he had the same baseless argument the whole way through, phrased in different ways to come off as a rant ...

BeeEmmAre
11th November 2009, 10:25 PM
And most importantly, he only replied to people who agreed with his view - nothing said when anyone came out in support of AFL. (And I only got through the first two pages before I gave up).

ShockOfHair
12th November 2009, 01:23 AM
Apart from News' financial interest (Super League anyone??) you'd expect the Daily Terror hacks to write that kind of stuff, which is just what their audience wants to hear.

The Melbourne media is just as bad. I can't believe the number of footy columnists who've written about the "masterstroke" of appointing an egomaniac like Sheedy as GWS coach.

Cheer Squad
16th November 2009, 07:59 AM
Apart from News' financial interest (Super League anyone??) you'd expect the Daily Terror hacks to write that kind of stuff, which is just what their audience wants to hear.

The Melbourne media is just as bad. I can't believe the number of footy columnists who've written about the "masterstroke" of appointing an egomaniac like Sheedy as GWS coach.

Here's the latest from the egomaniac:

Tigers-Dons the blueprint for Sydney - RFNews - realfooty.com.au (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/blueprint-for-sydney/2009/11/14/1258043832304.html?page=2)

Cheer Squad
21st November 2009, 08:37 AM
Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. And what a piece this is!

To me, this shows just how much work the AFL is putting into getting the Team GWS brand right. Kelly is the sort of person who would naturally command respect in western Sydney, regardless of what code he's associated with.

hot potato
23rd November 2009, 10:45 PM
Well its a good move on the GWS part - hardly a surprise really considering all the ground work he has done up here in promoting the cause. Oh well - we just have to wait and see what transpires - you never know - if rugby league has another bad year - and the Waratahs in the Union flop again - then people might change their minds and give following AFL a try. Boths the Swans and GWS could benefit.

It's amazing how many people you hear of who attend 1 AFL game, and they drop NRL and switch to AFL, this seems to particularly apply to the fairer sex, and they seem to rule in most households I know.:)

HP

Wardy
24th November 2009, 06:40 AM
It's amazing how many people you hear of who attend 1 AFL game, and they drop NRL and switch to AFL, this seems to particularly apply to the fairer sex, and they seem to rule in most households I know.:)

HP

Well we "Laydees" know a good thing when we see it and stick too it!! :D

Wardy
24th November 2009, 02:09 PM
the Daily Telegraphs resident twat Dean Richie is blogging on again - talk about insecure, he and his redneck followers - it is nothing short of frightening what some of these people come out with. If you want to vent or feel ever so sorry for some of these very sad people - have a read.

AnnieH
24th November 2009, 02:23 PM
The second is that it seems no one at the Daily Telegraph does fact checking. The AFL had 300,000 more viewers on Grand Final day then the NRL one, but Ritchie is hell-bent on stating otherwise. It reminds me of Bill O'Rielly - shout shout shout and if you can't make them believe you at least all other opinion will be silenced. Emails with evidence to Ritchie's own email and the sports editor at the DT have gone unanswered, to no suprise.

... and the third most highest rated TV in Sydney ever (behind Di's wedding and funeral) was the 1996 Grand Final between Sydney & the bushrats. The 2005/2006 grannies are in the top 20.

I remembered reading that bit of trivia somewhere.

I've never heard the NRL getting viewer numbers like that.

As much as I hate the thought of another team in Sydney, the AFL have lots and lots of money to throw around ... and they'll get a billion for the rights post 2010. Good luck NRL ... you're going to need it.

ShockOfHair
24th November 2009, 07:00 PM
Now you mention it Annie, here are the TV stats. THey changed the methodology in 2001, and since then the 2005 grand final ranks at no. 4 and the 2006 at no. 7.

Pre-2001, the 1996 final ranks no. 13 in the all-time list.

The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Entertainment (http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/002630.html)

BeeEmmAre
24th November 2009, 09:31 PM
Now you mention it Annie, here are the TV stats. THey changed the methodology in 2001, and since then the 2005 grand final ranks at no. 4 and the 2006 at no. 7.

Pre-2001, the 1996 final ranks no. 13 in the all-time list.

The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Entertainment (http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/002630.html)

And every grand final between 2001-2007 (list not updated since Jan 2008) come in before the first NRL grand final (2005, No.27).

Industrial Fan
13th December 2009, 01:19 PM
Perfect timing for GWS now that a new storm is brewing for the NRL.

Overall, I think it has been handled pretty well. 1st with the scholarship system. They key is to give the kids who are interested in AFL the chance to do so. if they have a direct channel into the league from NSW it just makes it all the more appealing.

The Afl is clearly digging trenches and preparing to set up the 2nd team up over a long period.

Cant see it failing in the long term.

Cheer Squad
16th December 2009, 08:32 AM
Perfect timing for GWS now that a new storm is brewing for the NRL.

Overall, I think it has been handled pretty well. 1st with the scholarship system. They key is to give the kids who are interested in AFL the chance to do so. if they have a direct channel into the league from NSW it just makes it all the more appealing.

The Afl is clearly digging trenches and preparing to set up the 2nd team up over a long period.

Cant see it failing in the long term.

Tough times as Sydney snub state's produce (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/tough-times-as-sydney-snub-states-produce-20091215-kunk.html)

The long term might be a very long time indeed if the results of this year's rookie draft are any indication.

Cheer Squad
18th January 2010, 08:33 AM
It's now official...

Sydney Swans | Paul Kelly | Greater Western Sydney (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-legend-kelly-clocks-in-with-rivals-20100117-mef7.html)

Lucky Knickers
2nd February 2010, 05:40 PM
Gotta love Sheedy. He is certainly keeping press ticking over.

GWS signs South African recruit | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-signs-south-african-recruit/story-e6frf9jf-1225825491097)

Glenn
4th February 2010, 07:47 PM
More Sheedy press whoring on Ch7, saying GWS are going to have everyone West of Balmain supporting them. :rolleyes:

Wardy
5th February 2010, 07:44 AM
More Sheedy press whoring on Ch7, saying GWS are going to have everyone West of Balmain supporting them. :rolleyes:

Well what else should he do - he is the main man thats his job:rolleyes: ? he has a job of promoting the club and the game of AFL in Western Sydney - not an easy task by any means and every TV channel will cover it -and little by little he will get the point across. As I have said earlier, this ventrue will be in total contrast to what the VFL did when they dumped Sydney up here in the 80's and left them to their own devices. Whats happening now is jsut the tip of the iceberg. But at least AFL is getting greater exposure here now - which is something that was sadly lacking in the past 3 decades !!! notice that even the NAB cup games are being advertised between Swans and Carlton - surely people can see the more exposure the AFL gets, the better. Its coming whether we like it or not - look at the bigger picture and see that our great game could become even greater in this state, Now isnt that something worth celebrating?

Cheer Squad
5th February 2010, 08:26 AM
Here's Sheedy in today's Herald...

Sheedy puts young foot soldiers through paces (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/sheedy-puts-young-foot-soldiers-through-paces-20100204-ng9s.html)

Looks like he is casting a very wide net indeed.

Wardy
5th February 2010, 08:33 AM

Well it is his job to promote the game and the club, so being on the TV is part of it - I dont see what the problem is. I would have thought that exposure such as this of our game in this state is good exposure - they are even promoting the Nab cup game on Prime time tv now between us and Carlton - cant anyone see the positives here? Look GWS is not going to go away any time soon - they have some damned fine people on board promoting the cause - If it gets more people to watch & embrace our wonderful game then thats fine by me.

Glenn
5th February 2010, 10:32 AM
All well and good to promote the game, but his claims are nothing more than pie in sky fantasy.
Also a not so subtle dig that Roos, is only going to be around for "1 year"

Wardy
5th February 2010, 10:34 AM
All well and good to promote the game, but his claims are nothing more than pie in sky fantasy.
Also a not so subtle dig that Roos, is only going to be around for "1 year"

so what - why take everything so seriously - they are the competition afterall - is he supposed to stand there and wax lyrical about him? and where had he lied? Roos is only around as senior coach for another year.

Glenn
5th February 2010, 11:16 AM
Competition yes, but promote the game with facts not some fantasy, people are going to becoming disilusioned if these claims by Sheedy fail to materialise
As for the quote about Roos, so what has that got to do with promoting the game and GWS.

Wardy
5th February 2010, 12:38 PM
Competition yes, but promote the game with facts not some fantasy, people are going to becoming disilusioned if these claims by Sheedy fail to materialise
As for the quote about Roos, so what has that got to do with promoting the game and GWS.

With respect aren't you being a little bit precious? Honestly is it really worth worrying about? and its true Roos will be gone in a years time from the top job - its easy if you take offence at what Sheedy has to say then dont listen to him.

Big Al
5th February 2010, 12:57 PM
With respect aren't you being a little bit precious? Honestly is it really worth worrying about? and its true Roos will be gone in a years time from the top job - its easy if you take offence at what Sheedy has to say then dont listen to him.

One thing Sheedy has done is garnered more press space for the AFL then what is normally the case at this time of year.

What he will also do is ensure there's a rivalry developed between the 2 Sydney teams. The most anticipated games of the year are with sides that hate each other. eg. The Derbies and Showdowns come to mind. So expect to see more comments aimed at niggling the Swans which every one needs to take as a good thing for the code in this state.

Wardy
5th February 2010, 01:01 PM
One thing Sheedy has done is garnered more press space for the AFL then what is normally the case at this time of year.

What he will also do is ensure there's a rivalry developed between the 2 Sydney teams. The most anticipated games of the year are with sides that hate each other. eg. The Derbies and Showdowns come to mind. So expect to see more comments aimed at niggling the Swans which every one needs to take as a good thing for the code in this state.

Bang on the money Al, the derby between the Swans and new team will be greatly anticipated - Sheeds is doing his job, and it seems he's doing it quite well - the Swans will be doing theirs - and a new rivalry wil be born - cant wait!

AnnieH
5th February 2010, 01:12 PM
Do you think Horse will have the "personality" to get this rivalry up and running (media wise)?? Will he be able to snip back at Sheeds?? For the times I've spoken to him, he seems pretty quiet and reserved (or maybe he's just overwhelmed by me - it happens).

Thoughts?

I read that Roosey will probably stay on at the Club in some capacity ... Swans very own media whore maybe? Perfect man to run up Sheeds' back.

Wardy
5th February 2010, 01:27 PM
Do you think Horse will have the "personality" to get this rivalry up and running (media wise)?? Will he be able to snip back at Sheeds?? For the times I've spoken to him, he seems pretty quiet and reserved (or maybe he's just overwhelmed by me - it happens).

Thoughts?

I read that Roosey will probably stay on at the Club in some capacity ... Swans very own media whore maybe? Perfect man to run up Sheeds' back.

Well Horse is a man of few words - but startles easily;) :D

Well yeah - maybe that is what they have in mind - Roos and Sheeds having a dig at each other to spice things up a bit, they aren't the first, certainly wont be the last!

Cheer Squad
7th February 2010, 07:09 AM
Kevin Sheedy (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-frontier-brimming-with-western-promise-for-sheedy-20100206-njrq.html)

Notice the little niggles against the Swans in this article. There will be plenty more of them, no doubt.

Cheer Squad
7th February 2010, 08:50 AM
And here's some nyah-nyah stuff from the Telegraph...there'll be plenty more of that as well...:rolleyes:

It's a Greater Western Sydney bungle | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/its-a-greater-western-sydney-bungle/story-e6frexni-1225827441277)

hot potato
7th February 2010, 10:46 PM
Sheeds is always full of mischief and character, you can't help but like the guy.
He's a blessing for Sydney and the growth of the game.
If The Swans are playing Freo at Subi, what better than to rock on down to watch Sheeds and his boys learn their craft against another team, and win the occasional game.
I'm looking forward to it. Horse could do well to learn a few new tricks.
HP

swansrob
8th February 2010, 08:33 AM
Not quite...
It's a Greater Western Stuff-up - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26685931-5018851,00.html)

goswannie14
8th February 2010, 08:58 AM
Kevin Sheedy (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-frontier-brimming-with-western-promise-for-sheedy-20100206-njrq.html)

Notice the little niggles against the Swans in this article. There will be plenty more of them, no doubt.:confused: I think you may be being a little precious.

Cheer Squad
8th February 2010, 09:39 AM
:confused: I think you may be being a little precious.

I don't think so. I don't see how he could describe us as "battered".

Wardy
8th February 2010, 09:50 AM
what ever they are doing its working - the AFL, GWS and the Swans are getting more publicity than ever before - the niggling is just the start of what could end up being a terrific rivalry!!!

Go Swannies
8th February 2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think so. I don't see how he could describe us as "battered".

I took him to mean that the Swans were battered by the battle of doing it alone.

8th February 2010, 10:37 AM
Gotta love Sheeds, he's been a classic over the years.

Remember the "Marshmallow" digs at the North Melbourne hierachy.

What about when the AFL stopped people criticising umpires, Sheeds at his press conferences suddenly had trouble with Martians and seagulls.

Expect plenty more niggles right up until the first game against them in 2012.

I see GWS as a good second team to follow.

royboy42
8th February 2010, 10:45 AM
Sheeds doing exactly what he's paid for! And AFL has NEVER had as much ink and tv time in pre season in Sydney. It's all good, and all I can see ahead is benefits for both Syd teams and a great rivalry developing!
Just don't expect Sheedy to go away and lie down; Roos will take up the war of words when the time is right for him to do so. He is not one to miss the chance to publicise his team or the game. They are both canny AFL veterans and media players.

goswannie14
8th February 2010, 10:50 AM
I took him to mean that the Swans were battered by the battle of doing it alone.Yep, exactly what I read and IMO what Sheedy meant, I still assert someone is being a little precious.

ShockOfHair
8th February 2010, 11:32 AM
It's quite entertaining, even if you're not an AFL fan, which is the point of the exercise.

But I don't know what Sheedy means when he says Jock McHale "basically invented" AFL.

swansrob
8th February 2010, 12:12 PM

Notice the little niggles against the Swans in this article. There will be plenty more of them, no doubt.

On unearthing new talent:

''It might just happen one day here - you might just get a superstar out of Parramatta or Baulkham Hills or Campbelltown. Albury, maybe - that's our zone. You might just find the captain of Greater Western Sydney. And the Sydney Swans will never have known. Some good players have come out of our zone.''

Sheedy realises there is already a superstar of the game, a current captain of a certain other Sydney based AFL side from Albury, right?

magic.merkin
8th February 2010, 12:29 PM
Sheedy realises there is already a superstar of the game, a current captain of a certain other Sydney based AFL side from Albury, right?

I think he recognises that at the end with "some good players have come out of our zone."

swansrob
8th February 2010, 01:10 PM
I think he recognises that at the end with "some good players have come out of our zone."

True, but what about "And the Sydney Swans will never have known"?

magic.merkin
8th February 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure if we have been allowed access to that zone, or if we have been cultivating it in the past 5-10 years.

Trickster
8th February 2010, 01:15 PM
They're called the Blacktown Bogans and their brand is generic.

Western Sydney Bogongs-Because they smell a little odd, they are annoying and they'll only be aound for a season!
Their colours will be muted brown and faded grey with elegant flannelett sash accross the (pot) belly.
Team song will be a mash up of Khe Sanh and the long lost music from the Resches commercials

liz
8th February 2010, 01:51 PM
True, but what about "And the Sydney Swans will never have known"?

I'm not sure if we have been allowed access to that zone, or if we have been cultivating it in the past 5-10 years.

The Albury area falls within the Murray Bushrangers zone. Most kids who are any good at underage levels are likely to be playing TAC Cup with the Bushrangers and therefore as exposed to the draft as underage Victorian youngsters. The area has been a Swans zone for a decade or more in the sense that the club has had first dibs on any players who fall through the draft into the rookie draft - ala McNeill in the most recent draft.

It is probably a fair observation that the Swans haven't gone looking for very rough diamonds in this region in recent years, preferring instead to focus on the scholarship scheme. So West Sydney could well unearth some hidden gems by taking punts on players who don't quite make it into the draft. But are there more such players in South NSW than in any other region of the country? Who knows.

The other aspect that Western Sydney might benefit from is targetting athletes in that region at age ranges 14-17 who may not yet be playing AFL, or wavering between this and other sports - ie what the scholarship scheme aims to do for the rest of NSW. But given that it is too early to tell how many decent AFL players have been unearthed by the scholarship scheme, who knows whether GWS will unearth gems via this approach. (And the Swans will essentially have the same path to uncovering gems from parts of NSW, given that both clubs will have their own academy.)

COBHC
8th February 2010, 02:23 PM
Not quite...
It's a Greater Western Stuff-up - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26685931-5018851,00.html)

Fox Sports definately have been fooled with their NRL bias, knowing Kevin Sheedy, that was most likely a joke.

I'm not a fan of GWS but, it'll be interesting to see how they go in the AFL though. Bring them on I say, so we can crush them down to size. :D

AnnieH
8th February 2010, 02:51 PM
Bloody blacktown bogans (well, Sheeds anyway) had the whole BACK PAGE of the Sun-Herald yesterday, and the whole TWO PAGES that's normally reserved for the Swannies inside.

Swans take note.

Cheer Squad
8th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Bloody blacktown bogans (well, Sheeds anyway) had the whole BACK PAGE of the Sun-Herald yesterday, and the whole TWO PAGES that's normally reserved for the Swannies inside.

Swans take note.

He's quite good at getting publicity, isn't he?

It will be interesting to see what tactics he employs over the next couple of years to build the new team's profile. I think there will be plenty more little digs at us.

As to how we respond, well, that's the big question. Probably play a straight bat for the time being until Sheedy really turns up the heat.

Bas
8th February 2010, 10:25 PM
I disagree. It was great publicity for the AFL. I hope GWS become a strong team quickly.

This is the FIRST Sydney AFL team originating in NSW. What is the big deal? Is it that difficult to support two teams?

Sheedy is the perfect man for the job. Plenty of nuff nuff's out west to recruit.

Wardy
9th February 2010, 07:04 AM
I disagree. It was great publicity for the AFL. I hope GWS become a strong team quickly.

This is the FIRST Sydney AFL team originating in NSW. What is the big deal? Is it that difficult to support two teams?

Sheedy is the perfect man for the job. Plenty of nuff nuff's out west to recruit.

I do agree regarding the exposure this is giving AFL - so far its all going according to plan - plant a few seeds of doubt, get Sheeds to write a letter to Roos inviting him to join the club - see the over the top reaction in the Sunday Telegraph, which was hilarious - the man & his marketing team are doing the job they have been employed to do. What some just dont get - or just dont want to get is that we have the potential here to have a real cross city rivalry - like West Coast & Freo, like Carlton & Collingwood - this is what they are trying to create, and with time - it just might happen, you dont know unless you have a go!!! its lifting the profile of AFL in this state. I for one hope it works.

They had a free plug yesterday when Israel Filou (?) at an NRL camp and said in his interview that he hoped that the AFL went really well out west, and that there was room for everyone. this shocked the media present and David Gallop wasn't impressed - you just cant buy that kind of stuff.

Lets just wait and see what Sheeds comes up with next.

AnnieH
9th February 2010, 08:13 AM
I do agree regarding the exposure this is giving AFL - so far its all going according to plan - plant a few seeds of doubt, get Sheeds to write a letter to Roos inviting him to join the club - see the over the top reaction in the Sunday Telegraph, which was hilarious - the man & his marketing team are doing the job they have been employed to do. What some just dont get - or just dont want to get is that we have the potential here to have a real cross city rivalry - like West Coast & Freo, like Carlton & Collingwood - this is what they are trying to create, and with time - it just might happen, you dont know unless you have a go!!! its lifting the profile of AFL in this state. I for one hope it works.

They had a free plug yesterday when Israel Filou (?) at an NRL camp and said in his interview that he hoped that the AFL went really well out west, and that there was room for everyone. this shocked the media present and David Gallop wasn't impressed - you just cant buy that kind of stuff.

Lets just wait and see what Sheeds comes up with next.

Oh they have a rivalry all right!!
I'm hating them with passion. (But I do love Sheeds shennanigans!!)

Asterix
9th February 2010, 11:16 AM
Hopefully between the Swannies and the Westies we can see the further demise of rugby league, and the rise and rise of soccer and AFL.

Imagine, two Sydney teams in the Grand Final and Australia winning the World Cup.

Mmmmmmmm. Maybe my grandkids will see that one day!

Big Al
9th February 2010, 11:26 AM
Hopefully between the Swannies and the Westies we can see the further demise of rugby league, and the rise and rise of soccer and AFL.

Imagine, two Sydney teams in the Grand Final and Australia winning the World Cup.

Mmmmmmmm. Maybe my grandkids will see that one day!

The success of GWS does not have to be at the expense of Rugby League. There is room for both codes to co-exist and be successful.

goswannie14
9th February 2010, 11:28 AM

Mmmmmmmm. Maybe my grandkids will see that one day!Why does it need to be at the expense of Rugby League? Sydney is a big enough city to have support for all 4 football codes I would have thought.

Big Al
9th February 2010, 11:29 AM
The success of GWS does not have to be at the expense of Rugby League. There is room for both codes to co-exist and be successful.

Why does it need to be at the expense of Rugby League? Sydney is a big enough city to have support for all 4 football codes I would have thought.

Great minds...:)

Wardy
9th February 2010, 11:35 AM
Great minds...:)

exactly - there is room for both - however, someone really as a community service, should just gag the likes of Rothfield, Ritchie & Wilson from News Ltd. The tripe they are putting out about "this being war" and that "the AFL are trying to take over the world & if they do the world will end" is just absolute crap. All of that hysteria rubbish is getting on my tits more than anything else.

BSA5
9th February 2010, 11:58 AM
Why does it need to be at the expense of Rugby League? Sydney is a big enough city to have support for all 4 football codes I would have thought.

It doesn't have to. Doesn't mean we don't want it to though! :p

hammo
9th February 2010, 01:10 PM
You're right, it won't be at the expense of league. But the way the loyal league foot soldiers in the media (Masters, Rothfield, Kent) carry on you'd think it would be.

Not so sure Sydney can cope with 4 football codes. There's only so much $$ that can go around. AFL is cashed up and prepared to lose a small fortune on GWS, but RL clubs, A-League and Union aren't in the same position.

Doctor
9th February 2010, 01:41 PM
It doesn't have to be at the expense of League or any other code, although that may turn out to be a by-product. It really is just a case of dumbing it down for their readers for the likes of the aforementioned hacks to say it's one or the other, a battle of the codes, a fight for survival or whatever other hackneyed cliche they choose to bandy about on any given day.

What's more likely is a further move of some sports into niches, such as the way rugby has retreated into its heartland to general apathy from elsewhere. Minor sports such as basketball may also continue to suffer. Lots of people will still play on a Tuesday night to keep fit, but less may choose to play it or follow it at the top level.

Industrial Fan
9th February 2010, 06:58 PM
exactly - there is room for both - however, someone really as a community service, should just gag the likes of Rothfield, Ritchie & Wilson from News Ltd. The tripe they are putting out about "this being war" and that "the AFL are trying to take over the world & if they do the world will end" is just absolute crap. All of that hysteria rubbish is getting on my tits more than anything else.I only see that tripe giving AFL more publicity on the way through. I certainly dont think it hurts...

Cheer Squad
9th February 2010, 09:04 PM
You're right, it won't be at the expense of league. But the way the loyal league foot soldiers in the media (Masters, Rothfield, Kent) carry on you'd think it would be.

Not so sure Sydney can cope with 4 football codes. There's only so much $$ that can go around. AFL is cashed up and prepared to lose a small fortune on GWS, but RL clubs, A-League and Union aren't in the same position.

If Sydney can't cope with 4 football codes, how many can it cope with? Who would go?

I think we can safely assume league will persist in some form or another. It might undergo a managed rationalisation, but the sheer size of the crowd at last year's preliminary final between the Eels and the Bulldogs indicates considerable latent demand for league in Sydney - especially for the established Sydney clubs.

How about soccer? It's hard to see soccer not being supported for the time being, especially given Sydney's enormous multicultural population, and especially if Australia hosts the 2018 or 2022 World Cup. It will get a huge boost if we win, but if we don't, the A-League might not last.

Union is very much a creature of the private school system, so they will always support it. But it seemed to peak with the World Cup several years ago. It's certainly off the boil at the moment.

That leaves AFL, the only code without a natural support base up here.

It seems to me AFL in Sydney will survive as long as the AFL is prepared to underwrite it. Our position is far more fragile than most care to admit - look what happened after last year's membership fiasco.

Obviously, Team GWS will have be underwritten for many years to some. I know the AFL is cashed up, but the cash will eventually run out at some point in the future. The other clubs won't keep wearing it.

Bas
9th February 2010, 10:17 PM
I've written this a few times now. The biggest problem for league out west is the abundance of Islander kids who are man mountains playing the game. Many parents don't want their kid "crushed" under an 80kg 9 year old.

So they ?ither go to soccer or AFL. Soccer charge a fortune to join and families with 2 to 3 boys find it difficult to pay.

The AFL should not only fund GWS but underwrite junior AFL so its quite cheap for kids to play AFL. As it is now, it is the cheapest code to join but make it cheaper.

Up here on the Central Coast , Mariners support has fallen dramatically over the last two years. Yet we are producing kids with potential for AFL Clubs. Not bad for a die hard league area.

I'd love to see GWS out collingwood collingwood supporters. How good would that be.

If Roos' letter was a mistake. Caught the dumb "journalists" hook, line and sinker.

Wardy
10th February 2010, 07:16 AM
I only see that tripe giving AFL more publicity on the way through. I certainly dont think it hurts...

I understand what you mean and despite it all I do agree that all publicity is good pubicity, they just annoy the crap out of me thats all because they just keep banging on and on about "its war" yet they have not come up with any kind of solution to improve the popularity of League, so they just keep trashing the AFL instead.
I have been invited to a luncheon in a few weeks time where Windbag Wilson is one of the key note speakers - I am so tempted to throw a breadroll at her!;). (yes childish, but I'm sure there would be a number of people who, given being in the same postion, would be ever so tempted to do the same thing!)

Jewels
10th February 2010, 09:22 AM
I understand what you mean and despite it all I do agree that all publicity is good pubicity, they just annoy the crap out of me thats all because they just keep banging on and on about "its war" yet they have not come up with any kind of solution to improve the popularity of League, so they just keep trashing the AFL instead.
I have been invited to a luncheon in a few weeks time where Windbag Wilson is one of the key note speakers - I am so tempted to throw a breadroll at her!;). (yes childish, but I'm sure there would be a number of people who, given being in the same postion, would be ever so tempted to do the same thing!)

Go on, do it Wardy, you know you want to!
Just think of the good laugh the rest of us will have imagining it! (clap)

Wardy
10th February 2010, 09:31 AM
Go on, do it Wardy, you know you want to!
Just think of the good laugh the rest of us will have imagining it! (clap)

We were at Colless's presidents luncheon out at ANZ in 2008 and she was on the podium with Squires and Adam Spencer, the way she was going about how lovely and handsome the boys were and just the general dribble that was coming from her was nothing short of embarrassing from a woman her age and alleged professional experience - one of my colleagues just sat there unamused and said - "is this woman for real " we were all thinking exactly the same thing.

Jewels
10th February 2010, 09:50 AM
We were at the Colless's presidents luncheon out at ANZ in 2008 and she was on the podium with Squires and Adam Spencer, the way she was going about how lovely and handsome the boys were and just the general dribble that was coming from her was nothing short of embarrassing from a woman her age and alleged professional experience - one of my colleagues just sat there unamused and said - "is this woman for real " we we all thinking exactly the same thing.

I have a friend that attended that luncheon and made the very same remarks.
It is because of fools like her with her pitiful drooling, that makes female sports fans have to validate themselves and prove we watch the sport for the actual game and not just the "tight shorts".

AnnieH
10th February 2010, 10:54 AM
It is because of fools like her with her pitiful drooling, that makes female sports fans have to validate themselves and prove we watch the sport for the actual game and not just the "tight shorts".

Speak for yourselves!!!
A bit of eye candy certainly doesn't hurt the cause. ;)

Where's little Miss Primmy to back me up?

Wardy
10th February 2010, 11:00 AM
Speak for yourselves!!!
A bit of eye candy certainly doesn't hurt the cause. ;)

Where's little Miss Primmy to back me up?

We certainly think it - but we aren't supposed to say it (because we acuse men of being pervs all the time!!!;) :D )

We should just say 'I like to watch" :D !!!

AnnieH
10th February 2010, 11:05 AM
We certainily think it - but we aren't supposed to say it (because we acuse men of being pervs all the time!!!;) :D )

We should just say 'I like to watch" :D !!!

Of course, for scientific research-type purposes.

The Swannies bank money on us chickies who join up for a decent perv!! That's gotta be at least 30% of the membership base.

Wardy
10th February 2010, 11:11 AM

The Swannies bank money on us chickies who join up for a decent perv!! That's gotta be at least 30% of the membership base.

exactly!!

Trickster
10th February 2010, 11:11 AM

Indeed-it would be much preferred if they did not wear the tight shorts or those nice well fitting Guernseys ;)

Wardy
10th February 2010, 11:15 AM
Indeed-it would be much preferred if they did not wear the tight shorts or those nice well fitting Guernseys ;)
well lets not get carried away there.............;) :D

Big Al
10th February 2010, 02:09 PM

It it's 30% Annie we better make sure we don't draft too many Cameron Ling look alikes otherwise our membership base will plummet.

Wardy
10th February 2010, 02:12 PM
It it's 30% Annie we better make sure we don't draft too many Cameron Ling look alikes otherwise our membership base will plummet.

hey I have a soft spot for Lingy - sure the boy hasnt been blessed with adonis type looks, but what he lacks in looks he makes up for it with a good sense of humour!!! " LINGY 4 EVA":D

Big Al
10th February 2010, 02:44 PM
hey I have a soft spot for Lingy - sure the boy hasnt been blessed with adonis type looks, but what he lacks in looks he makes up for it with a good sense of humour!!! " LINGY 4 EVA":D

Good sense of humour and great personality is code for butt ugly. I know because that's my description in the personals.It all falls apart once they request a picture. :p

Wardy
10th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Good sense of humour and great personality is code for butt ugly. I know because that's my description in the personals.It all falls apart once they request a picture. :p

Hey I'm no oil painting myself so I'm in no position to judge!!! But Lingy is one of those blokes who just seems to be nice and reliable - and not a total tool - the world could do with more Lingy's.

Compare Lingy to say - Mick Martyn - Lingy winds hands down in that competition!

Glenn
10th February 2010, 07:55 PM
Hey I'm no oil painting myself so I'm in no position to judge!!! But Lingy is one of those blokes who just seems to be nice and reliable - and not a total tool - the world could do with more Lingy's.

Compare Lingy to say - Mick Martin - Lingy winds hands down in that competition!

The missing link in the evolution chain would beat Martyn. :eek:

AnnieH
10th February 2010, 11:05 PM

2010 new rule ... one ranga per team.

Triple B
11th February 2010, 12:36 AM
Compare Lingy to say - Mick Martin - Lingy winds hands down in that competition!

The missing link in the evolution chain would beat Martyn. :eek:

Yet Mick Martyn's missus is a glamour by anyones standards. Go figure :confused:

Wardy
11th February 2010, 06:41 AM
Yet Mick Martyn's missus is a glamour by anyones standards. Go figure :confused:

It seems that a senior footballer can have a head like a smashed crab but he can still pull the glamours! (I wonder why that is?:hmmm ;) )

laughingnome
11th February 2010, 11:00 AM

Pics or it will not (didn't) happen.

Wardy
11th February 2010, 11:36 AM
Pics or it will not (didn't) happen.

oddly enough my "hosts" on this particular day will be our clubs major sponsor!!! so whilst I'm ever so tempted, the "professional" in me says - no (but the child in me is really pushing my resistance to the edge!!!);) :D

Bas
11th February 2010, 12:06 PM
oddly enough my "hosts" on this particular day will be our clubs major sponsor!!! so whilst I'm ever so tempted, the "professional" in me says - no (but the child in me is really pushing my resistance to the edge!!!);) :D\

Quietly slip a mackeral into her handbag when she's not looking.

Primmy
11th February 2010, 01:12 PM
It seems that a senior footballer can have a head like a smashed crab but he can still pull the glamours! (I wonder why that is?:hmmm ;) )

Oh wardy. Dear oh dear. Have you SEEN their bodies?:D However I do rule out Wade Chapman here. He just couldn't grow a "cut".

I for one (Hi Annie) would be hard pressed to look at anything else! Unless of course it is Jude, or Kirky, or BBB's smile, or Macca's eyes, or Rhyce's for that matter, and of course LRT's hair. I'm not picky.

Primmy
11th February 2010, 02:04 PM
And on the subject of Ms Wilson. I have observed in the past that a little less wine makes a great improvement when speaking publicly.

Now we all know I have an penchant for fine form, but after I look at my mancandy during warmup, I then WATCH THE GAME. I cannot bear it when women are lumped in the "only go to the game to watch the men". Whoever still bothers to write this drivel should grow up and assume that women are actually human beings who enjoy contest.

It is doubly troubling when the writer/speaker turns out to be a female !!! A little sophistication wouldn't go astray here.

Jewels
11th February 2010, 09:00 PM
Now we all know I have an penchant for fine form, but after I look at my mancandy during warmup, I then WATCH THE GAME. I cannot bear it when women are lumped in the "only go to the game to watch the men". Whoever still bothers to write this drivel should grow up and assume that women are actually human beings who enjoy contest.

Yes, Primmy, that's EXACTLY what I mean.
I certainly love my man candy and yes, I do enjoy those bends and stretches during warm up, but they could all look like Lingy once the game starts cause then it's ONLY about the game.

Yuri H
12th February 2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, Primmy, that's EXACTLY what I mean.
I certainly love my man candy and yes, I do enjoy those bends and stretches during warm up, but they could all look like Lingy once the game starts cause then it's ONLY about the game.

Yeah, as a member of the "Oxford Street crowd" (though given my boredom with & inattendance at the street's establishments and loathing of thumpathumpa dance music, not exactly a member in good standing) I'm sure my motives are suspect now and again.

But for any leering and impure thoughts, once the game starts the only bodies I care about are the opposing players', hopefully knocked flat on the ground.

Wardy
12th February 2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, as a member of the "Oxford Street crowd" (though given my boredom with & inattendance at the street's establishments and loathing of thumpathumpa dance music, not exactly a member in good standing) I'm sure my motives are suspect now and again.

But for any leering and impure thoughts, once the game starts the only bodies I care about are the opposing players', hopefully knocked flat on the ground.

beautifully said Yuri!!!

goswannie14
12th February 2010, 11:32 AM
beautifully said Yuri!!!On a number of levels!;)

jono2707
12th February 2010, 02:06 PM

Hear hear - count me in on that one too. I've always loved my footy and get really sick of people thinking we go just for a perve.... Some people just don't get it...

Wardy
12th February 2010, 02:14 PM
Hear hear - count me in on that one too. I've always loved my footy and get really sick of people thinking we go just for a perve.... Some people just don't get it...

again to you and Yuri - well said.

Cheer Squad
13th February 2010, 08:56 PM
Swans fan the flames in Sheedy territory (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-fan-the-flames-in-sheedy-territory-20100212-nxgn.html)

Looks like we've no intention of losing our western members to Team GWS.

ugg
13th February 2010, 10:54 PM
Lol. That line by Roos was definitely said tongue in cheek and it's being portrayed as a declaration of war

Cheer Squad
15th February 2010, 09:11 AM
Lions lose out as Graeme Allan teams with Kevin Sheedy | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/lions-lose-out-as-graeme-allan-teams-with-kevin-sheedy/story-e6frf9jf-1225830268024)

Quite a coup from the sound of things.

Sheedy, Paul Kelly, Graeme Allan...Team GWS won't lack talented AFL people running the show.

Wardy
15th February 2010, 01:17 PM
It was actually nice to read a balanced article about Sheeds in Saturdays Terror for a change instead of the "its war, Sheedy is the enemy and the world is going to end" - Andrew Webster was talking about the hoo har that surrounded Sheeds not knowing who Nathan Hindmarsh was - and he said that he cant be expected to know everyone in league because he's only been here 5 minutes and he could pretty much guarantee that Hindmarsh wouldn't know what player wore(for example) number 37 for Essendon, nor should he be expected to know. So the vitriol towards Sheeds is terribly unfair.
He was giving a talk at AMP and Hindmarsh's cousin was in the audience, so he made a point of going over and speaking too him and apologised for not knowing his cousin. Webster went onto say that Sheeds is a decent man, and deserves respect. He names as one of his biggest mentors as none other than the late rugby League legend Jack Gibson. He went and had an audience with Jack when he was starting out as coach for the Bombers he thought if anyone could help him it was Jack. Anyway - its all starting to get interesting now - Sheeds has a big job to do and he's getting down and doing it.

ShockOfHair
17th February 2010, 11:26 PM
Yes, yes and yes.
Sydney coach Paul Roos says he will outcast any player who signs for Gold Coast | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydney-coach-paul-roos-says-he-will-outcast-any-player-who-signs-for-gold-coast/story-e6frf9ix-1225831558619?from=word+up+online+pty+ltd_rss)

BeeEmmAre
18th February 2010, 09:33 PM
It was actually nice to read a balanced article about Sheeds in Saturdays Terror for a change instead of the "its war, Sheedy is the enemy and the world is going to end" - Andrew Webster was talking about the hoo har that surrounded Sheeds not knowing who Nathan Hindmarsh was - and he said that he cant be expected to know everyone in league because he's only been here 5 minutes and he could pretty much guarantee that Hindmarsh wouldn't know what player wore(for example) number 37 for Essendon, nor should he be expected to know. So the vitriol towards Sheeds is terribly unfair.
He was giving a talk at AMP and Hindmarsh's cousin was in the audience, so he made a point of going over and speaking too him and apologised for not knowing his cousin. Webster went onto say that Sheeds is a decent man, and deserves respect. He names as one of his biggest mentors as none other than the late rugby League legend Jack Gibson. He went and had an audience with Jack when he was starting out as coach for the Bombers he thought if anyone could help him it was Jack. Anyway - its all starting to get interesting now - Sheeds has a big job to do and he's getting down and doing it.

I agree with you Wardy, it was a spot on article.
I know and used to work with Webby and he is a good bloke who knows his stuff and is level headed and fair minded.
Unfortunately the clowns he now works with mean that these attributes are easily buried beneath their biased vitriol.
Keep up the good work Webby.

Cheer Squad
20th February 2010, 07:22 AM
Here's another piece of the puzzle, a rather important one...

Greater Western Sydney search for a name (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/stallions-or-giants-you-decide-gws-name-20100219-olsg.html)

Help name the new Western Sydney AFL Team (www.nametheteam.com.au)

I'm not sure about any of the current options - GWS Rangers, GWS Pride, GWS Giants, GWS Stallions.

GWS Pride isn't bad, it's certainly different and distinctive.

ShockOfHair
20th February 2010, 12:36 PM
I've already cast my vote for the Flannels.

Help name the new Western Sydney AFL Team (http://www.nametheteam.com.au/)

ugg
20th February 2010, 12:59 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Roy & HG's suggestion, the Western Sydney Clowns.

erica
20th February 2010, 02:38 PM
I always liked Richard Hinds' name - the whatevers.

Lucky Knickers
20th February 2010, 02:50 PM
GWS Pride sounds like the worst sort of jingoistic ultra-nationalist bogun baiting to me. The mascot?
I prefer animals. Simpler for everyone. Power and Dockers are both silly!

stellation
20th February 2010, 03:11 PM
GWS Frankensteins : 'cause they're the hastily cobbled together creation of a crazed genius.

Yes, I realize Frankenstein would be Sheedy and the team should technically be perhaps GWS Frankenstein's Monsters... or perhaps GWS Monsters- which would give a nice link to monster trucks I guess to draw in the folks of western Sydney?

stellation
20th February 2010, 03:14 PM
Stella junior has confirmed that he would consider following them keenly if they named themselves the GWS Tapirs. No particular affinity between a tapir and western Sydney, he just likes tapirs.

laughingnome
20th February 2010, 05:05 PM
I prefer animals.!

Ditto, though I'd go further and push Australian animals. The problem is so many have been taken by AFL teams and national teams that there isn't much left to choose from. Eagles, Hawks, Magpies, Kangaroos, Swans, Tigers all have an affinity with local fauna, then you've got sides like the Kookaburras (hockey), Sharks (RL & QAFL) ... the list goes on. The only ones I can think of with no strong team following are Emus, Dingoes, Gallahs, Snakes and Lizards, none of which are exactly inspiring.

iigrover
20th February 2010, 05:28 PM
I followed Roy and HG's suggestion and voted for "Clowns" with team colours of pink and baby blue.
:-D

dimelb
20th February 2010, 06:08 PM
Ditto, though I'd go further and push Australian animals. The problem is so many have been taken by AFL teams and national teams that there isn't much left to choose from. Eagles, Hawks, Magpies, Kangaroos, Swans, Tigers all have an affinity with local fauna, then you've got sides like the Kookaburras (hockey), Sharks (RL & QAFL) ... the list goes on. The only ones I can think of with no strong team following are Emus, Dingoes, Gallahs, Snakes and Lizards, none of which are exactly inspiring.

The Blacktown Bluetongues.
The Penrith Platypuses.
Or as I suggested elsewhere, The Western Walers. The Walers- not Whalers, it's from New South Wales - were the horses ridden by the Light Horsemen who captured Beersheba in WW1. They were sturdy and powerfully built. And it ties in with the Light Horse Interchange which would have to be one of the biggest engineering projects in the western region.

Lucky Knickers
20th February 2010, 11:51 PM
The Taipans might be good. I didn't pop that one in the suggestion box.

robamiee
21st February 2010, 12:35 AM
Could always go with The Goanna's or Pythons considering the snake gully section of the ground apparently had a heap of tiger snakes during construction...

ugg
21st February 2010, 12:56 AM
GWS iSwans 2.0

Glenn
21st February 2010, 01:05 AM
GWS Lovechild (of the AFL)

Glenn
21st February 2010, 01:06 AM
It's the Greater Western Swindle | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/its-the-greater-western-swindle/story-e6frexwr-1225832542735)

Roos has a point, who were the AFL trying to promote here

Vonsteinman
21st February 2010, 03:27 AM
It's the Greater Western Swindle | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/its-the-greater-western-swindle/story-e6frexwr-1225832542735)

Roos said. "The game is between Carlton and the game is in Sydney, so I would be surprised if there is any need to do it or if there are any GWS fans there."

Sheedy made some smug statement on the tv about there being such a big crowd and that it wouldn't have been seen there two years ago... WTF?

Seemed to me that it was mostly Swans fans there...

Primmy
21st February 2010, 08:27 AM
Annie and I got this sorted AGES ago.

The Greater Western Bogans, with a moth as their emblem, and a nice flanellette check pattern jumper in perhaps green and orange and red, OR a simple washed denim blue colour.

laughingnome
21st February 2010, 08:42 AM
The Western Walers. The Walers- not Whalers, it's from New South Wales - were the horses ridden by the Light Horsemen who captured Beersheba in WW1. They were sturdy and powerfully built. And it ties in with the Light Horse Interchange which would have to be one of the biggest engineering projects in the western region.

That's as good as a suggestion I've heard for this dog-and-pony show as anything else.

Hey look a wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waler)

Good idea, dimelb.

stellation
21st February 2010, 09:25 AM

I honestly didn't have a problem with it. No issue at all. There's going to be a second team in Sydney and this was the best place to make sure to advertize it.

It had me thinking that if the AFL were really serious they should be playing a game there in every round of the NAB cup or challenge (not particuarly a Swans game), giving away 5000 free tickets to local schools for the non-Swans games and doing the same thing of having Sheedy chat constantly and put GWS signs up everywhere.

Glenn
21st February 2010, 09:34 AM
Roos said. "The game is between Carlton and the game is in Sydney, so I would be surprised if there is any need to do it or if there are any GWS fans there."

Sheedy made some smug statement on the tv about there being such a big crowd and that it wouldn't have been seen there two years ago... WTF?

Seemed to me that it was mostly Swans fans there...

Well Sheeds is right in this case, considering the stadium wasn't in existance 2 years ago ;)

Glenn
21st February 2010, 09:43 AM
I honestly didn't have a problem with it. No issue at all. There's going to be a second team in Sydney and this was the best place to make sure to advertize it.

It had me thinking that if the AFL were really serious they should be playing a game there in every round of the NAB cup or challenge (not particuarly a Swans game), giving away 5000 free tickets to local schools for the non-Swans games and doing the same thing of having Sheedy chat constantly and put GWS signs up everywhere.

By all means promote to GWS derros, but not at a Swans "home" game.

stellation
21st February 2010, 09:55 AM
By all means promote to GWS derros, but not at a Swans "home" game.
But it was only a pre-season game, I can't remember the last time the Swans played the first round of the NAB (or Wizard) cup in Sydney- I thought it was clear that the only reason they got to play this one up here was the promotional opportunity of having a top flight footy game played at Blacktown.

Triple B
21st February 2010, 11:15 AM

+1.

The AFL are pouring millions into this venture. Where would u suggest is a better place to put your message out than at an AFL game? :confused:

I wasn't approached to become a member, didn't have brochures shoved down my throat, just was asked if i'd like to fill out the 'Name the Side' brochure. I politely declined telling them I will do it online.

Storm, teacup.

I'd suggest Roos' 'outrage' is all a furphy designed to try and engender the cross town rivalry that will do no end of good to help both the GWS franchise and the Swans in the future.

Glenn
21st February 2010, 12:26 PM
But it was only a pre-season game, I can't remember the last time the Swans played the first round of the NAB (or Wizard) cup in Sydney- I thought it was clear that the only reason they got to play this one up here was the promotional opportunity of having a top flight footy game played at Blacktown.

Indeed it was but why should Sydney be used to promote another team, so flipping what if the AFL wants to pour bucket loads of money into GWS.
Use another side to promote the game, rather than one that they will be competing against for fans,corporate sponsors etc.
The AFL is doing everything it can to make sure GWS don't fall flat on their faces through giving them a spot in the TAC Cup, and then VFL why can't they extend that to Sydney, or don't Sydney need the help developing in a non afl market.

dimelb
21st February 2010, 12:30 PM
GWS iSwans 2.0

:D

Primmy
21st February 2010, 10:48 PM
GWS iSwans 2.0

Gold. :adore

Bas
22nd February 2010, 02:43 PM
Next game at Rooty Hill Olympic Stadium will be on Sat night 6th March.

Let's hope it's still a NAB cup game.

Big Al
22nd February 2010, 03:04 PM
+1.

I'd suggest Roos' 'outrage' is all a furphy designed to try and engender the cross town rivalry that will do no end of good to help both the GWS franchise and the Swans in the future.

Absolutely!!

If Swans supporters don't hate GWS by the time it starts then Roos and Sheedy haven't done their jobs properly. A healthy hate between the 2 sides will be good for footy. I've said it before but the most anticipated games of the year are between sides that hate each other. eg. Adelaide/Port, Freo/Eagles, Pies/Everyone.

Asterix
22nd February 2010, 04:39 PM
Next game at Rooty Hill Olympic Stadium will be on Sat night 6th March.

Let's hope it's still a NAB cup game.

It will be - just a matter of whether the Swannies are playing in it or not.

Triple B
22nd February 2010, 05:13 PM
It will be - just a matter of whether the Swannies are playing in it or not.

I doubt that is correct.

The Swannies will be playing, as Bas said, let's hope it's a NAB Cup game and not a NAB challenge game.

ugg
22nd February 2010, 05:25 PM
I doubt that is correct.

The Swannies will be playing, as Bas said, let's hope it's a NAB Cup game and not a NAB challenge game.
It's been pencilled in as Etihad Stadium/Blacktown. Had we lost to Carlton we would have been playing a NAB Challenge match against Brisbane this week at Blacktown at the fantastic time of Friday 7.30pm

beameup
22nd February 2010, 05:29 PM
If they want to help with the gws push, which I am all for, why not do what has been suggested. Have the TAC Cup squad train or put on a demo. Show the people who will be representing them in 2010, get there names on the website and start the fans thinking about the boys.

In saying this I have no doubt there will be a plan for all this which will be finalised down to the last detail. Team gws are organised, have got a plan and will work even if it takes 10 years.

Footy rules and eventually everyone will know it

Cheer Squad
23rd February 2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/gws-eye-greater-goodes-but-swans-star-no-fan-of-precontract-signings-20100222-orsp.html

Probably not much to this story other than speculation at the moment, although Sheedy has been a Goodes fan for quite a long time.

Nonetheless, we're going to lose players to GC and Team GWS at some stage in the future. It's a question of who and how much it will hurt.

Asterix
24th February 2010, 02:00 PM
I doubt that is correct.

You're right. I did read somewhere that the game was originally going to be a NAB Cup game no matter whether we won or not (the journo was wondering what sort of crowd would turn up), but either that was wrong or it has since been changed so that it will definitely be Swannies.

swansrob
24th February 2010, 03:29 PM
You're right. I did read somewhere that the game was originally going to be a NAB Cup game no matter whether we won or not (the journo was wondering what sort of crowd would turn up), but either that was wrong or it has since been changed so that it will definitely be Swannies.

It can only be a NAB Cup game if we win, otherwise, it's a NAB Challenge game.

AnnieH
25th February 2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/gws-eye-greater-goodes-but-swans-star-no-fan-of-precontract-signings-20100222-orsp.html

Probably not much to this story other than speculation at the moment, although Sheedy has been a Goodes fan for quite a long time.

Nonetheless, we're going to lose players to GC and Team GWS at some stage in the future. It's a question of who and how much it will hurt.

They'll have to pry him out of my dead fingers first.

Wardy
25th February 2010, 01:13 PM
If any players go to GWS then so be it - sure it will be dissappointing for us, but at the end of the day its their lives and they have to do whats best for themselves and their families. Its life and things do change.

swansrob
25th February 2010, 01:17 PM

Absolutely nothing to the story. It doesn't even imply that Goodes has been contacted by GWS, and there's nothing there from anyone at GWS even suggesting his name's on the table.
This article is simply to strike fear into the hearts of the Swans faithful with baseless hypotheticals.

big bear
4th March 2010, 07:35 PM
I'm ready to boo the blacktown bogans.
Should be interseting GWS v Collingwood scum. Love to be a fly on the wall.

Cheer Squad
7th March 2010, 10:13 AM
Should be interesting GWS v Collingwood scum. Love to be a fly on the wall.

It might end up being scum versus parasites...

Greater Western parasites: Roos attacks rivals' tactics (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/greater-western-parasites-roos-attacks-rivals-tactics-20100306-ppmh.html)

ShortHalfHead
7th March 2010, 08:06 PM
It might end up being scum versus parasites...

Greater Western parasites: Roos attacks rivals' tactics (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/greater-western-parasites-roos-attacks-rivals-tactics-20100306-ppmh.html)

Probably just bad reporting by this "journo". Note how he said that GWS will play three games at ANZ in 2012 and the remainder at the "Boutique Blacktown" venue.
Won't happen.

anniswan
8th March 2010, 12:45 AM
I have been told given the location of the Blacktown Ground they will be called the Rooters, last night when I was there they kept on trying to had me stuff to fill in, even though I was in full Red and White Garb, I think that they are all being paid to do the job, they are not real fans.