PDA

View Full Version : Saddington & Doyle in the mix

Reggi
16th September 2003, 07:53 PM
Saddington & Doyle in the mix
Karen Collins
afl.com.au
4:09:52 PM Tue 16 September, 2003

Sydney Swans defender Jason Saddington and ruckman Stephen Doyle are likely to be fit and available for selection for Saturday night?s preliminary final against the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Stadium.

The news will surely lift the team after forward Michael O?Loughlin was ruled out on Monday with a hamstring injury.

Saddington ? who endured two quad injuries earlier in the year - tore the medial ligament in his left knee in Sydney?s two-goal victory against Brisbane at the Gabba in round 20.

After a month away from football, ?Saddo? rates himself a 70-80 percent chance of playing, though admitted he had not discussed the matter with coach Paul Roos.

?The knee is feeling pretty good, and the fitness I think is pretty much alright,? Saddington said at Tuesday?s media day at the SCG.

?I have done a bit of running in rehab, so it shouldn?t be too bad. I think I am pretty ready if they want to play me I am happy to play.?

The 23-year-old knows there are still a few training sessions remaining before he?s given the all clear and he hopes there will be no hiccups.

?Whilst the knee has been pretty good in the sessions I have done, I guess you are still not sure that it is strong enough.?

?What I have had to do I have been able to do, but something might come up that might hurt it. But I think it should be pretty fine.?

Saddington said he kept his fitness up in the pool, on the bike and through running.

He expects to fully test the knee on Friday but he is fairly confident it will be okay.

Meanwhile, Doyle rates himself an 85-90 percent chance of overcoming his ankle injury to play his first-ever finals match after running at training.

?I should be fit to play if I get picked,? he said.

Doyle has yet to complete a full game of football this season after suffering a knee injury Sydney?s opening round victory over Carlton.

He returned in round 21 to play a half in the seconds, followed by a half in the seniors in the round 22 win against Melbourne and 15 minutes in the Port Adelaide win two weeks ago.

?I have missed a lot of football, so I am really looking forward to getting out there and doing five or ten minutes in the ruck and helping out (Adam) Goodesy,? Doyle said.

?And if I can go down forward and maybe take a couple grabs and kick a few goals I will be pretty happy.?

?I am probably underdone fitness wise a little bit, but I am feeling pretty good that I will be able to take out at least half a game or three-quarters of a game.?

Benevolent Ert
16th September 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Reggi
Meanwhile, Doyle rates himself an 85-90 percent chance of overcoming his ankle injury to play his first-ever finals match after running at training.

his first-ever finals match?

I know he wasn't on the ground much against Port - but surely it counts!