PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Reid

Auntie.Gerald
28th November 2009, 08:09 AM
38. Sam Reid (Sydney)
Murray Bushrangers
Key defender, 17, 194cm, 87kg
Younger brother of Collingwood's Ben, he made the draft cut-off date by just four days. Superb athlete and still growing. At draft camp, he ran 20m in 2.92 seconds, a high 14.7 beep test. Equal second in the kicking test.

I am so pumped with Sam coming to the Swans......this guy is so bloody dominant in the leap for the ball and the mark......Must admit I was so focussed on Talia and hoping he was our no.14 or Kane Lucas.......but they went early !

He is interesting in that he will be a dominant re bounder as well a KP player as he is very quick over 20 and a very good kick for a young tall

He also has great ability to play upfront.....I wouldnt discount him as being able to steal Grundy, Richards spot before we know it in the backline or bench.

Could he be a Baz Hall project also? ie convert to the frontline?? when Bradshaw goes and Goodes approx 3 or so seasons left in him......that front line is open !!

Claret
28th November 2009, 04:15 PM
Seriously quick for a big man (boy!), great endurance and superb skills . . . . What's the catch?

Legs Akimbo
28th November 2009, 04:21 PM
Quigley's 2009 Mock (Warning: longer than ever) - BigFooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653140)

Sam Reid (Murray Bushrangers, VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 27/12/91

Reid is another guy who is all athletic potential and very little performance to date. He is the kind of guy who often excites us amateurs with his test scores but who the professionals overlook because he does not really know how to play the game. It is very possible that Reid could go anywhere from the 2nd round to the rookie draft. He has been tried in a lot of positions this year for the Bushrangers but has not been a stand out anywhere. Similarly at the Championships where he was invisible. In the AFL I can only see him playing at the back as a negating key position. So why is he a chance to be taken in the second round? Well its all about athletic potential. He is a very nice size for a KPD and when you combine that with elite athleticism teams will be thinking about what they can turn him into. His 2.92 in the 20m and 14.7 in the beep show that he has the all around running ability for teams to work with. He also tested very well for agility and in the jumps and measured with very long arms. What he has shown to date is that he is hard to beat in the air and he has reasonable hands himself. He is not a guy who shows particular poise in the air though. His kicking is serviceable and when played in defence his opponents have found him a very difficult prospect most particularly on the lead. He needs to improve his strength and when he has been beaten it has usually been in a body on body situation. He has shown virtually no run off ability though and he finds it very hard to get his hands on the ball. When in defence he tends to focus almost exclusively on his player and does not work once the ball starts to come back the other way. With the ball in hand he is pretty good but he doesn?t do it often enough. He has improved a fair bit this year and someone is going to fall in love with his potential and take him.

Bloody Hell
28th November 2009, 04:56 PM
That could describe almost every key defender ever!

All the proven big bodies are touted as key forwards - can't think of a single key defender who was drafted as such high in the draft.

Auntie.Gerald
29th November 2009, 06:04 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50821/sam+reid+highlights/default.aspx#VideoPlayerA

Robbo
29th November 2009, 11:44 AM
The first and foremost thing you want in a full back is for them to have the ability to blanket opponents. If Reid becomes good at this then his level of creativity doesn't bother me. That's why you have flankers.

Red
29th November 2009, 12:43 PM
I like his sticky, one-grab hands!