PDA

View Full Version : Swans forwards vs backs

wyatt
18th December 2009, 01:32 PM
Here?s a classic off-season time filler for you.

With the move of Adam Goodes to the forward line, the emergence of Jesse White as a legitimate full forward, the recruitment of a proven forward in Daniel Bradshaw, all of them ably supported by a cast of thousands, I was wondering how you think the Swans backs would cope if they had to play on the Swans forwards?

Is C.Bolt strong enough for Bradshaw, can the rapidly improving Grundy stand Jesse or does he have to go to Goodes? If so, does he have enough speed or endurance? Can the steady LRT nullify Jesse?s impact? On the other hand, are the likes of Vespa, Moore, Meredith, Hannebery etc quick enough or strong enough to stop our fleet of running defenders such as Mattner, Shaw, Malceski and Tadhg once the ball hits the ground?

Who wins? Who plays on who? Can the midfield deliver the ball well enough to make it a fair contest?

liz
18th December 2009, 01:58 PM
Grundy on Goodes, if this is anything to go by.

Old and new shine in final hit-out - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=88317)

wyatt
18th December 2009, 02:13 PM
Whoa, that's pretty spooky. I hadn't read that before I posted my OP. Anyway, good on Grundy - a superstar backman in the making!

18th December 2009, 02:13 PM
Grundy on Goodes, if this is anything to go by.

Old and new shine in final hit-out - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=88317)

Hey that's an exciting article. TDL looks like he could be just what we need to compliment the tall forwards, Tadgh on song from the outset, Grundy (beating Goodes) shows he's continuing his development.

Just joined Centrebet and won a $20 betting voucher for my trouble. Have "invested" it at 40/1 on us the win the NAB Cup.

Hartijon
18th December 2009, 02:52 PM
TD-L posting 3 goals in 1/2 hour against our quality defenders is very exciting. He seems to be that third type of forward we have been missing since Nick Davis. I mean the versatile,good in the air,clever on the ground ,straight with his kicking. He is not the White or Bradshaw type nor the real crumber but to me the versatile type and exactly what we need!

Throw in the 2 Mr. Excitements in Jetta and Kennelly and we have the guys to deliver the ball to the forwards. How did Pyke go against Mumford.Looked from the photo he was all over him?

ugg
18th December 2009, 02:56 PM
More photos here

AFL 2009 Training - Sydney Training 181209: The Slattery Media Group, Images - The Official Photographer of the AFL (http://images.slatterymedia.com/photography/results/?q=collection:AFL%202009%20Training%20-%20Sydney%20Training%20181209&sub_code=all)

Looks like
Pykey v Mummy
Jesse v Teddy
McGlynny v McVeighy
ROK v Jude
MOD v Sumner

Triple B
18th December 2009, 03:04 PM
It looks like MOD's kicking hasn't changed much. :p :p

I hope he replaced his divot...

i'm-uninformed2
18th December 2009, 03:10 PM
I wanna know who's gonna stand Big Bad Baz.

For me? LRT. Baz aint that quick and LRT doesn't seem to mind roughing it up a bit. Maybe his rugby background.

Then again, a good sledger and niggler would be far better to set off the cracker. Bring back Adam Hueskes

dimelb
18th December 2009, 03:45 PM
I wanna know who's gonna stand Big Bad Baz.

For me? LRT. Baz aint that quick and LRT doesn't seem to mind roughing it up a bit. Maybe his rugby background.

Then again, a good sledger and niggler would be far better to set off the cracker. Bring back Adam Hueskes

Don't know about Baz being slow. I can't resurrect the Age reference now, but in a comparison during a match last year, Baz was faster than anyone else on the field at 33 kph; Adam Goodes was next at 30kph. Over the first 20 or 30 metres, Baz is very quick indeed.
Also, great pic of Pyke and Mumford (the first in the batch); Pyke is flying, and the size of him! The ruck division is looking good.

Bloods05
18th December 2009, 06:05 PM
TDL looks like he could be just what we need to compliment the tall forwards

What? We recruited him just to say nice things to tall guys?

TheHood
18th December 2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone notice Mal's guns? Reckon he's done some size work over the pre. He's looking determined and that's heartening.

dimelb
18th December 2009, 10:03 PM
What? We recruited him just to say nice things to tall guys?
:D