PDA

View Full Version : Who are our most bitter rivals (or who do we hate the most)?

BigD
11th January 2010, 10:07 AM
Just thought I'd put this question out there to see what everyone thinks and to give us something to do before the season kicks off( Yes, i'm bored - bring on the footy!)
As far as I'm concerned it would have to be Collingwood with the Weagles a close second.

Captain
11th January 2010, 10:24 AM
West Coast easily for me.

Hate the fans, hate the players

hammo
11th January 2010, 10:24 AM
I would have had St Kilda as one of the options given the historic rivalry we have with them going back to the South days.

Chilcott
11th January 2010, 10:39 AM
Bulldogs. Don't know why, but I just like to beat them more than any other team.

Primmy
11th January 2010, 10:57 AM
For sheer teeth clenching fist pumping screamfest, Collingwood.

For history which goes back to Lib and the Italian Mafia, Bulldogs without a doubt. When they left it kind of took the sting out of it, but not entirely.

Plugger46
11th January 2010, 12:07 PM
I reckon it depends on which sides are going well at the time. St.Kilda and Geelong (especially at Geelong) are the teams I want to beat the most at the moment.

St.Kilda or West Coast are probably the best answers to the question, given the history against both sides.

RogueSwan
11th January 2010, 12:45 PM
Most hated - Pies

greatest rivals - Weagles. Before that, probably Roos and the Bummers before them.

Doctor
11th January 2010, 12:48 PM
Most hated - Pies

greatest rivals - Weagles.

Agreed.

Big Al
11th January 2010, 12:50 PM
Collingwood then daylight.

Lucky Knickers
11th January 2010, 01:24 PM
Bitter rivals....Kangaroos
Unbitter rivals....West Coast

ROK Lobster
11th January 2010, 01:47 PM
West Sydney

snajik
11th January 2010, 02:10 PM
Carlton

Never forget the '45 Grand Final.

How they pinched Greg Williams and David Rhys-Jones.

How we lost every game at Princes Park for 25+ years.

Special mention to Collingwood though.

Recent rivals - West Coast, but there is an element of respect from both camps I'd suggest. There is no respect at all for carlton and collingwood.

goswannies
11th January 2010, 02:58 PM
Collingwood.
1) They too often have the wood on us.
2) Eddie
3) Their fans
4) They have stollen too many players off us (Rocca, Teasdale, Greg Smith, Shane Morwood. David Young. Clinton King, Paul Hawke, Mark Orchard, Bill Picken (similar to Orchard - gave him then took him back - opposite of Hawke, took him then gave him back!), Richard Osborne (in a round about way via the Dogs) Paul Licuria, Barry Mitchell, Gerard Healy (sort of, but he never played after being drafted), Paul Morwood, Brereton. The list goes on!
5) Eddie (he rates 2 mentions).

Primmy
11th January 2010, 03:05 PM
North belongs to another era - and I love beating them (get me! I love beating them, like I had any say in the matter) - but they have become so bland it just doesn't matter any more.

Big Al
11th January 2010, 03:10 PM
Collingwood.
1) They too often have the wood on us.
2) Eddie
3) Their fans
4) They have stollen too many players off us (Rocca, Teasdale, Greg Smith, Shane Morwood. David Young. Clinton King, Paul Hawke, Mark Orchard, Bill Picken (similar to Orchard - gave him then took him back - opposite of Hawke, took him then gave him back!), Richard Osborne (in a round about way via the Dogs) Paul Licuria, Barry Mitchell, Gerard Healy (sort of, but he never played after being drafted), Paul Morwood, Brereton. The list goes on!
5) Eddie (he rates 2 mentions).

Agree except that we have done pretty well out of some recent Collingwood recruits. (Schauble,Williams,Davis(the 05 version),Shaw).
Also their fans rate a second mention as well.

snajik
11th January 2010, 03:13 PM
North belongs to another era - and I love beating them (get me! I love beating them, like I had any say in the matter) - but they have become so bland it just doesn't matter any more.

I just couldn't hate North with the same degree of intensity once Carey and David King left, and then Shannon Grant left and they just couldn't seem to get a rise from me any more. I'll have to pay more attention to them next year. Surely they must have someone on their list that is capable of resurrecting my ire.

goswannies
11th January 2010, 03:22 PM
Agree except that we have done pretty well out of some recent Collingwood recruits. (Schauble,Williams,Davis(the 05 version),Shaw).

Agree with you except 4 v's a dozen or so, and many of their Swans recruits were opportunistic... picking off our players in their prime when we were in trouble. And remember Kent Bucher? No? Becuase they traded us rubbish at times too! He didn't play a game. Scotty Russell? Hefty price tag for 1 season. Michael Lockman... another one we got one season out of. And the players you mention were primarily past their prime at Collingwood (they may have improved with Sydney, but at Collingwood they were considered stale... some would even argue this of Davo as he wanted out).

snajik
11th January 2010, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=goswannies;471231]Collingwood.

QUOTE]

Darren Jolly

11th January 2010, 04:23 PM
Difficult question, particularly given the sheer number of close results against West Coast over 3-4 years and the two epic GF.

Over time, for me however it's Collingwood, the team everyone wants to beat just for their sheer arrogance from Ed down.

CureTheSane
11th January 2010, 06:10 PM
Easiest question ever.

Wobbles.

hammo
11th January 2010, 06:13 PM
Collingwood may be hated but they are not "bitter rivals" of the Swans. For a rivalry to exist supporters of the other club would have to feel the same way.

portstephens tragic
11th January 2010, 06:18 PM
Never get off the ground

portstephens tragic
11th January 2010, 06:22 PM
West Sydney

Agreed. won't work

cruiser
11th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Where's the St Kilda option?

liz
11th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Scotty Russell? Hefty price tag for 1 season.

We didn't trade with Collingwood for Russell. We picked him up in the PSD after they'd delisted him (and after he had an in-principle agreement to join someone else - Carlton maybe?)

goswannies
11th January 2010, 07:01 PM
We didn't trade with Collingwood for Russell. We picked him up in the PSD after they'd delisted him (and after he had an in-principle agreement to join someone else - Carlton maybe?)

I stand corrected, but my point was we didn't actively recruit him from the Maggies, he was an unwanted discard... unlike the majority of ours who we still wanted (Clinton King and Gavin Rose being notable exceptions)

satchmopugdog
11th January 2010, 07:30 PM
Voted Carlton...based on me being the black sheep of my family and not barracking for Carlton. I love it when we win against them.

(Plus my ex husband barracks for them)

Primmy
11th January 2010, 07:57 PM
Voted Carlton...based on me being the black sheep of my family and not barracking for Carlton. I love it when we win against them.

(Plus my ex husband barracks for them)

Oh well, then that's a given.

Try as I can, I cannot totally hate the wiggles. Despair yes, thrilled when hunter left yes, but overall kill kill kill, no. Again, I come back to Collingwood, and that is why I am shattered and shocked Jolls actually set foot in the door. Stupid stupid man......how could you!!!! :mad:

CureTheSane
11th January 2010, 11:14 PM
As far as traditional rivals go, for me it is Carlton deep down.
More recently, West Coast is the easy choice

swans_premiers
11th January 2010, 11:36 PM
Would have to be Crows, Pies, Eagles, Saints

BRISWAN
12th January 2010, 08:07 AM
Geelong.....because they are so self indulgent and up themselves.
Tall Poppies need clipping

Cosmic Wizard
12th January 2010, 12:13 PM
Collingwood may be hated but they are not "bitter rivals" of the Swans. For a rivalry to exist supporters of the other club would have to feel the same way.

That counts out West Sydney:p

But who do we hate the most???

Umpires!

Nthblood
13th January 2010, 11:43 PM
Carlton

Never forget the '45 Grand Final.

How they pinched Greg Williams and David Rhys-Jones.

How we lost every game at Princes Park for 25+ years.

Special mention to Collingwood though.

Recent rivals - West Coast, but there is an element of respect from both camps I'd suggest. There is no respect at all for carlton and collingwood.

Totally agree, although I do not respect West Coast

AnnieH
13th January 2010, 11:48 PM
Colliwobbles are universally hated, so that's just a given.

The filthy, dirty, criminal budgies on the other hand ...

goswannie14
14th January 2010, 08:22 AM
Where's the Jim Main option?;)

stellation
14th January 2010, 08:32 AM
Where's the Jim Main option?;)
Leave connolly alone!

goswannie14
14th January 2010, 08:53 AM
Leave connolly alone!

:rofl

Yuri H
14th January 2010, 11:23 AM
As a comparative footy newbie and emigre to boot, my personal history & emotions only stretch to 2005, so it's West Coast by a million miles for me. A co-worker barracks for Collingwood and she and I can joke about things, but I don't think I could speak to a co-worker who was an Eagles supporter.

Oops, kilometres. A million kilometres. Gave myself away again.

CJK
14th January 2010, 11:43 AM
As a comparative footy newbie and emigre to boot, my personal history & emotions only stretch to 2005, so it's West Coast

This for me, just replace 2005 with 2003.

Dirty, filthy Eagles.

royboy42
14th January 2010, 12:31 PM
I started hating Collingwood in the 40s as a Royboy...and it's lasted thru to this day!

BigD
14th January 2010, 07:55 PM
I would have had St Kilda as one of the options given the historic rivalry we have with them going back to the South days.

My bad. I have to agree with you there. I didn't think of them at the time.
In hindsight I should have included them instead of Melbourne.

BigD
14th January 2010, 08:00 PM
Is there any way I can change the options?

ScottH
14th January 2010, 08:18 PM
Is there any way I can change the options?

Default polls contain 10 options, mods/admins can make it more.

Just let them know what you want.

Cheer Squad
14th January 2010, 08:23 PM
For me, it's a toss-up between the Crows and Collingwood. Probably the Crows, as our record against them overall is very poor. I'm hoping against hope we can defeat them in Round 2.

jono2707
15th January 2010, 09:28 AM
As a comparative footy newbie and emigre to boot, my personal history & emotions only stretch to 2005, so it's West Coast by a million miles for me. A co-worker barracks for Collingwood and she and I can joke about things, but I don't think I could speak to a co-worker who was an Eagles supporter.

Wow a Collingwood supporter with a job - I never new that species existed...

Big Al
15th January 2010, 09:41 AM

:rofl

Robbo
15th January 2010, 11:00 AM
Has to be the weagles given the recent rivalry.

Nico
15th January 2010, 10:09 PM
For me it is the team with the crap coloured jumper.

Primmy
15th January 2010, 11:18 PM
For me it is the team with the crap coloured jumper.

Hawthorn? Freo? Brissy? Port? :o

goswannie14
16th January 2010, 07:05 AM
I don't think we have a bitter rivalry with anyone.

However,

Collingwood - goes without saying.
Eagles - a good recent rivalry.

But for me, because of it's horrible, rude, feral, obnoxious fans it has to be St Kilda.

Jewels
16th January 2010, 11:10 AM

However,

But for me, because of it's horrible, rude, feral, obnoxious fans it has to be St Kilda.

Agree with everything you've said here GS.

BigD
16th January 2010, 07:16 PM
Default polls contain 10 options, mods/admins can make it more.

Just let them know what you want.

Scott, what I want is to change Melbourne to St Kilda.

Nico
16th January 2010, 10:39 PM
Hawthorn? Freo? Brissy? Port? :o

I guess it depends how you want to use the word crap. It appears to me that use of the word is rather generational in that you thought that I meant "not of the best design and of poor colour selection". Hence it appears that the younger generation or might I say, Generation Y (I am guessing your age) use the word to describe something of not the best quality.

In this case I am referring to the original meaning of the word that was a shortened version of the inventor of the toilet seat or cistern system as we know it. His surname was Crapper. So when one went to the toilet one either had a wee or a crap.

So in this case I am referring to the jumper with 2 shades of poo.

elroy67
16th January 2010, 10:46 PM

However,

Yes, on a fans basis it is St. Kilda in a close run thing with Essendon.

bedford
16th January 2010, 10:59 PM

However,

Agree and you can add Jim Main to that list

ScottH
17th January 2010, 10:44 AM
Scott, what I want is to change Melbourne to St Kilda.

Done.

BigD
17th January 2010, 05:52 PM
Done.

Thanks

COBHC
17th January 2010, 07:36 PM
St.Kilda, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood and of course the West Coast Eagles for me.

Nico
17th January 2010, 09:45 PM
St.Kilda, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood and of course the West Coast Eagles for me.

We had no trouble with Collingwood supporters at Victoria Park or when we played them at South. No shortage of tatts and missing teeth but rarely a harsh word.
Carlton though were so much different. Always mouthing off and arrogant, they hated us beating them.

One memorable day at our home ground, the Lake Oval, John Nicholls goes down as if he was hit with a sledge hammer. My brother yells out, "bring out the Pentridge doctor" (Nicholls had alledgedly been in the clink for certain misdemeanours), Pentridge goal being the preferred holiday destination.

This spanner up the back in the packed house, who had been mouthing off incessantly, flew down and started throwing cut lunches followed by a couple of his mates. Little did they know that they were entering the domain of some pretty heavy hitters from Port Melbourne. They were quickly repelled by a barrage of response with others dragging them back before they got cleaned up or the wallopers arrived. Absolute thickheads.

We wondered whether he was going off at someone having a go at Nicholls or he had indeed spent some time making big rocks into little rocks.

I believe Carlton has the dubious honour of being the only club to have someone die at a game, after from being king hit from behind in the their members reserve at Princes Park.

Windy Hill was a pretty scary place to go also. We got out of there quick smart after a game as they tended to go quite feral after an afternoon on the ink.

Wardy
18th January 2010, 01:04 PM
Collingwood for me - pretty much because of my total aversion to McGuire, Buckley, Didak, Daisy & finally Joffa with his highly flammable gold jacket.

Alibi Monday
19th January 2010, 11:03 AM
1. Carlton by an absolute street. Tried to kills us off in the 90s and play all Carlton's away games in Sydney. If it wasn't for Collingwood, it could well have happened. Not to mention Greg Williams and the 1945 Blood Bath.

2. North. Again tried to muscle in on our territory with some underhanded tactics. Stole Carey and Longmire from under our noses. And many of their fans BF think that Sydney should be shut down and handed to North to start afresh.

3. St Kilda. This one goes waaaay back to the Lake Oval battles.

4. West Coast. There's still a bit bitterness there, but well respected. Hunter knocking over O'Loughlin continually whilst tying his shoelaces should evoke some of it.

---

I don't know why anyone is saying Collingwood. We trade really well with them, have a showcase match. They even lobbied to save Sydney in the 90s. No problem with the Pies. Lots of respect there......now there fans are a different matter.

ItsAllGoodes
19th January 2010, 12:16 PM

Unless its a job in a prison laundry???

laughingnome
19th January 2010, 12:53 PM
1. Carlton by an absolute street. Tried to kills us off in the 90s and play all Carlton's away games in Sydney. If it wasn't for Collingwood, it could well have happened. Not to mention Greg Williams and the 1945 Blood Bath.

2. North. Again tried to muscle in on our territory with some underhanded tactics. Stole Carey and Longmire from under our noses. And many of their fans BF think that Sydney should be shut down and handed to North to start afresh.

3. St Kilda. This one goes waaaay back to the Lake Oval battles.

4. West Coast. There's still a bit bitterness there, but well respected. Hunter knocking over O'Loughlin continually whilst tying his shoelaces should evoke some of it.

---

I don't know why anyone is saying Collingwood. We trade really well with them, have a showcase match. They even lobbied to save Sydney in the 90s. No problem with the Pies. Lots of respect there......now there fans are a different matter.

Agree with this list of teams, but find it hard to pick one out of them, e.g. is it better to beat WC or Carlton? Certainly they are the four clubs I want to see us destroy plus Collingwood, but everyone hates Collingwood. What we have with them is nothing special.