PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Best and Fairest Dinner date-a sign of renewed confidence?

top40
7th February 2010, 02:49 PM
As most of us know, for many years the Swans' season ending Best and Fairest (B and F) awards have taken into account the players' performances in the Final Seasons. So the countdown might go right through to a Preliminary or Grand Final as witnessed in 2003, 2005 and 2006. Therefore, unlike say the Brownlow Medal, it doesn't cut out at the end of Round 22. Consequently, traditionally the B and F presentation was held on the first Friday night after the Grand Final.

For some reason however, last year's B and F presentation took place during the first half of September, before even the Semi Final games (or week 2 of the Finals Series) had even began. I wonder if that was a sign of a lack of confidence that Sydney wasn't going to play beyond an Elimination Final in 2009? And the decision turned out to spot on: Sydney didn't even make it to September in 2009.

This year the B and F presentation is set for 1st October 2010, post dating this season's Grand Final. I wonder if the club now has a renewed confidence that they MIGHT go deep into September in 2010?

erica
7th February 2010, 06:07 PM
Ooh, I feel a conspiracy theory coming on...

ShockOfHair
7th February 2010, 07:58 PM
Yep, Swans to finish fifth this year. Andy D's already decided.

Plus he's taken a lead from the NRL last year: blockbuster scandals = blockbuster ratings.

We've had players from each grand final team in court already this year. Coincidence??:eek:

Big Al
7th February 2010, 08:43 PM
As most of us know, for many years the Swans' season ending Best and Fairest (B and F) awards have taken into account the players' performances in the Final Seasons. So the countdown might go right through to a Preliminary or Grand Final as witnessed in 2003, 2005 and 2006. Therefore, unlike say the Brownlow Medal, it doesn't cut out at the end of Round 22. Consequently, traditionally the B and F presentation was held on the first Friday night after the Grand Final.

For some reason however, last year's B and F presentation took place during the first half of September, before even the Semi Final games (or week 2 of the Finals Series) had even began. I wonder if that was a sign of a lack of confidence that Sydney wasn't going to play beyond an Elimination Final in 2009? And the decision turned out to spot on: Sydney didn't even make it to September in 2009.

This year the B and F presentation is set for 1st October 2010, post dating this season's Grand Final. I wonder if the club now has a renewed confidence that they MIGHT go deep into September in 2010?

The Swans had 2 dates pencilled in last year. If they made the finals it was going to be in OCT and if they didn't they we're gong to held when they did in SEP.

DST
7th February 2010, 10:42 PM

Every club in the AFL pencil in two dates, one if they don't make the finals and the other later if they do.

End of conspiracy theories pleae.

DST
:D

erica
8th February 2010, 08:44 AM
Every club in the AFL pencil in two dates, one if they don't make the finals and the other later if they do.

DST

Sheesh, it was a joke, Joyce. Lighten up.

hammo
8th February 2010, 09:46 AM

DST

Yep. Even Melbourne held their B&F in October.

top40
8th February 2010, 09:20 PM
The Swans had 2 dates pencilled in last year. If they made the finals it was going to be in OCT and if they didn't they we're gong to held when they did in SEP.

You may well be right for Season 2009.

However, for Season 2010 the Swans are already given public notice via its official website that the Best and Fairest Dinner will be held in early October 2010. I suggest, as the title of this Thread indicates, such a public declaration of this B and F date, (without any sign of an earlier, alternative date), is a sign of confidence by the club that Sydney has a very good chance of playing in September this year.

Bas
8th February 2010, 10:12 PM
Or they got a really cheap deal for the venue.

AnnieH
8th February 2010, 11:32 PM

However, for Season 2010 the Swans are already given public notice via its official website that the Best and Fairest Dinner will be held in early October 2010. I suggest, as the title of this Thread indicates, such a public declaration of this B and F date, (without any sign of an earlier, alternative date), is a sign of confidence by the club that Sydney has a very good chance of playing in September this year.

The reason is because there was an awful lot of confusion last year re the date, i.e. is it on? Is it not on? Is it on? They also had the change to a larger venue at the last minute because ticket sales went through the roof. Looks to me like they're just a little bit better organised this year. Gotta be a good thing, eh?

As for playing in September ... no reason for us not to be fodder for another year!!

Wardy
9th February 2010, 06:48 AM

Its more than likely that they were lucky enough to secure their preferred venue on their preferred date - so they booked it accordingly and hence saved a deposit (as they would have to put down two deposits for the venue to secure bookings on two dates) I wouldnt read anything into it to be honest.

Go Swannies
9th February 2010, 08:33 AM
It'll be a better sign if they have booked Lake Oval and the SCG for the last Sunday in September.

Lucky Knickers
9th February 2010, 05:44 PM
When I first read this I thought everyone was talking about a WAG.
I feel a little silly now.

mcs
9th February 2010, 06:54 PM
When I first read this I thought everyone was talking about a WAG.
I feel a little silly now.

Lol!

lets hope that its because the club think we can have a finals run. From what I think was excellent recruiting in the off season, I feel we have every chance of playing finals footy, and well anything from there would probably be a bonus really. It will just depend how all the new blokes click and fit into the squad! Can't wait to find out- most excited about a season since I was at the beginning of 06!