PDA

View Full Version : Sog Ii

ScottH
10th February 2010, 07:53 AM
Lure of Swans too great for Jack jnr | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/lure-of-swans-too-great-for-jack-jnr/story-e6frexwr-1225828469134)

COULD this be the AFL's answer to the Gidleys - brothers born six years apart who go on to play professionally for the same football team?

Former rugby league Test fullback Garry Jack certainly hopes so.

His eldest son, Kieren, is established in the Sydney Swans' midfield. And now his youngest son, Brandon, is on a pathway that could see him pull on the red and white.

BSA5
10th February 2010, 11:45 AM
Sounds exciting! Hopefully he comes along as well as his brother! And good to hear GWS can't get their dirty mitts on him. Otherwise, we might have had to convince the Jack family to move!

God, how great would it be to have two sons of League legend Garry Jack on our side?

Trickster
10th February 2010, 11:49 AM
If Jack jr-jr plays with anything close to his older brothers dedication he will make an exciting addition to the team.
It is also good to hear Kieren confirm his intention to stay in the Red & White, I?d heard rumours indicating a couple of teams have been interested in him

10th February 2010, 02:53 PM
Free Kieren from his tagging duties and I reckon we'll see what he really is capable of. Some of his forward crumbing and kicking goals has been top class. Free in the midfield and resting foward is what I want to see.

So to get his brother we'll need to select him for our academy then draft him through the same bidding process that is used for the Father-Son selections.

He'll probably be in the same draft as Tom Mitchell in 2011 so that is a good draft to get them as it's a GWS comprimised draft.

DeadlyAkkuret
10th February 2010, 03:56 PM
Great news :)

reigning premier
11th February 2010, 09:11 AM
Get this kid signed up now!! :D

laughingnome
11th February 2010, 11:06 AM
The AFL's answer to the Gidley's?!?! The Danihers were around first you stupid Daily Telegraph! (yes, I know they probably mean in modern times but still...)

Now lets get Brandon into our scholarship, or whatever.

goswannie14
11th February 2010, 02:45 PM
The AFL's answer to the Gidley's?!?! The Danihers were around first you stupid Daily Telegraph! (yes, I know they probably mean in modern times but still...)

Now lets get Brandon into our scholarship, or whatever.Who are the Gidleys?

ItsAllGoodes
11th February 2010, 03:01 PM

Now lets get Brandon into our scholarship, or whatever.

I had to wonder myself whether the comparison with the Gidleys was a very very very specific reference

e.g. the article said "brothers born six years apart who go on to play professionally for the same football team"

There have of course been many sets of brothers over the years...but have there been examples of TWO brothers only...who were born SIX years apart...and play for the same team... Generally brothers will be closer in age...or if not...there is often a 3rd brother in the middle....Danihers, Morwoods etc

Chilcott
11th February 2010, 03:59 PM
I had to wonder myself whether the comparison with the Gidleys was a very very very specific reference

e.g. the article said "brothers born six years apart who go on to play professionally for the same football team"

There have of course been many sets of brothers over the years...but have there been examples of TWO brothers only...who were born SIX years apart...and play for the same team... Generally brothers will be closer in age...or if not...there is often a 3rd brother in the middle....Danihers, Morwoods etc

The Everitts spring to mind. Spider is nearly old enough to be Andrej's dad.

liz
11th February 2010, 04:28 PM
I .or if not...there is often a 3rd brother in the middle....Danihers, Morwoods etc

Jacks

Vonsteinman
11th February 2010, 05:08 PM
there is often a 3rd brother in the middle....Danihers, Morwoods etc

Poor old Chris always gets forgotten...

ScottH
11th February 2010, 07:58 PM
Who are the Gidleys?

((shrugs))

Reggi
12th February 2010, 01:17 PM
Who are the Gidleys?

No idea, and the Sydney media are as bad as anyone at referring to the obscure. The Gidleys??

Who?

laughingnome
12th February 2010, 01:50 PM
No idea, and the Sydney media are as bad as anyone at referring to the obscure. The Gidleys??

Who?

Wikipeida tells me that they are Matthew and Kurt, born 5 years apart. Both played for the Newcastle Knights but Matthew (the elder) now plays in England for St Helens. I'm still not seeing the comparison to Kieren and Brandon Jack.