O'Keefe Goodes Moore
TDL Currie Barlow

Rucks
Seaby Kirk Jack

Interchange

Mumford Bevan Bird Smith

Emergencies (extras)

McGlynn, Kennedy Jetta

No too sure on the size of the bench, if fully fit i would slot White and Bradshaw into the forward line for Currie and Barlow, shifting Barlow to the bench for Smith (although that is a bit harsh as i realy like Smith)

RogueSwan
17th February 2010, 11:13 AM
I would move Malceski to the bench and insert Smith.
I would like to see Sumner given a run given the glowing praise from Maxfield.
Pebbles is now a midfielder, so swap him and Jack (defensive fwd and 'goal sneak')
I am pretty sure you have a six-man bench so I would be good to see what McGlynn and Kennedy are capable of by giving them the last two seats on the bench.
I am happy to see you would give Bevo a go, if he doesn't perform this week give Jetta a go next game.
Otherwise bring on Saturday night.

stellation
17th February 2010, 11:46 AM
I'd be very suprised for Kennedy and McGlynn not to play.

johnno
17th February 2010, 12:03 PM

I agree, those two will definately play if fit.

Captain
17th February 2010, 12:16 PM
I agree, those two will definately play if fit.

Yep think we are allowed couple extra on the bench anyway.

Strong team regardless.

Plugger46
17th February 2010, 01:07 PM

Likewise. I think both are certainties to be in our best 22.

Hartijon
17th February 2010, 01:08 PM
Where's LRT? Is he not playing for some reason? If fit he would be a certain pick.

Nico
17th February 2010, 09:32 PM
Smith doubters need to know....he is inked in with a permanent marker.

Ed Barlow ahead of him. You've got to be dreaming.

DST
17th February 2010, 10:02 PM
The only definate out's at present are Bradshaw, White and I think LRT.

Article in the HS today seem to indicate that of the new draftees, TDL, Rohan and Jetta would be getting a game.

That just leaves the rest to work out, but there is buckley's chance that either of McGlynn or Kennedy will be left out, unless they are injured.

Same goes for Seaby and Mumford who will be given the full preason to stake a claim as the No.1 ruckman.

DST
:D

Old Royboy
17th February 2010, 11:01 PM
If I read last weeks practice match right, King Tut is a lock as the No 1 ruckman. I see the battle being Seaby vs the Crusher for No 2.

Rod_
17th February 2010, 11:07 PM
Playfair will probably get a run in the forwards?

Rod_

Rod_
17th February 2010, 11:10 PM
Ohh and what about other rookies..?

RogueSwan
18th February 2010, 07:53 AM
Smith doubters need to know....he is inked in with a permanent marker.

Ed Barlow ahead of him. You've got to be dreaming.

Agree with you for the season proper.

The coaches know what they have with Smith, Barlow may be given the chance to get his finger out during the Ansett Cup.:confused:

ShockOfHair
18th February 2010, 12:28 PM
Agree with you for the season proper.

The coaches know what they have with Smith, Barlow may be given the chance to get his finger out during the Ansett Cup.:confused:

Agree -- this is Ed's year to put up or shut up.

swansrob
18th February 2010, 12:37 PM
When is the actual team being announced?

swansrob
18th February 2010, 12:39 PM
When is the actual team being announced?

SYDNEY SWANS v CARLTON
Sydney Swans
1. Mark Seaby, 3. Jarrad McVeigh, 6. Craig Bolton, 8. Trent Dennis-Lane, 9. Nick Malceski, 10. Daniel Currie, 12. Josh Kennedy, 14. Craig Bird, 15. Kieren Jack, 16. Gary Rohan, 17. Tadhg Kennelly, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Ben McGlynn, 22. Byron Sumner, 24. Jude Bolton, 25. Ted Richards, 29. Martin Mattner, 30. Lewis Roberts-Thomson, 31. Brett Kirk, 32. Lewis Jetta, 33. Jarred Moore, 35. Campbell Heath, 37. Adam Goodes, 38. Michael Pyke, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 42. Paul Bevan, 43. Matthew O'Dwyer, 46. Taylor Gilchrist.

Carlton
2. Jordan Russell, 4. Bryce Gibbs, 5. Chris Judd, 6. Kade Simpson, 7. Brock McLean, 8. Matthew Kreuzer, 10. Richard Hadley, 11. Robert Warnock, 12. Mitch Robinson, 13. Chris Yarran, 14. Brad Fisher, 15. Steven Browne, 16. Shaun Grigg, 17. Setanta O?hAilpin, 18. Paul Bower, 22. Shaun Hampson, 23. Lachie Henderson, 24. Kane Lucas, 26. Joe Anderson, 29. Heath Scotland, 31. Marcus Davies, 32. Bret Thornton, 34. Simon Wiggins, 38. Jeff Garlett, 39. Sam Jacobs, 40. Michael Jamison, 44. Andrew Carrazzo, 45. Aaron Joseph, 46. David Ellard.

Aaron
18th February 2010, 12:39 PM
A team was announced about 10 minutes ago.

29 names but only 26 will play
1. Mark Seaby, 3. Jarrad McVeigh, 6. Craig Bolton, 8. Trent Dennis-Lane, 9. Nick Malceski, 10. Daniel Currie, 12. Josh Kennedy, 14. Craig Bird, 15. Kieren Jack, 16. Gary Rohan, 17. Tadhg Kennelly, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Ben McGlynn, 22. Byron Sumner, 24. Jude Bolton, 25. Ted Richards, 29. Martin Mattner, 30. Lewis Roberts-Thomson, 31. Brett Kirk, 32. Lewis Jetta, 33. Jarred Moore, 35. Campbell Heath, 37. Adam Goodes, 38. Michael Pyke, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 42. Paul Bevan, 43. Matthew O'Dwyer, 46. Taylor Gilchrist.

swansrob
18th February 2010, 12:41 PM
NAB Cup squads confirmed for week two - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89619/default.aspx)

Judging by Freo's announced side here, I don't think they're taking the NAB Cup too seriously.

swansrob
18th February 2010, 12:43 PM
NAB Cup squads confirmed for week two - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89619/default.aspx)

Judging by Freo's announced side here, I don't think they're taking the NAB Cup too seriously.

Scratch that - they fixed it.

Number 43
18th February 2010, 12:43 PM
Some interesting players missing:

SHAW
HANNAS
O'KEEFE
MEREDITH
BARLOW
VEZ
WHITE
BRADSHAW
JOHNSTONE
PLAYFAIR
MUMMY

Aaron
18th February 2010, 12:48 PM
Shaw, Hannebery, O'Keefe, Meredith,Barlow,Vesz, White, Bradshaw,Johnston, Thornoton, Mumford, Playfair are not listed.

Does anybody know what happened to Barlow? Had reports of best results in runs and then absent from Intra game matches. Also not so sure if what happened to ROK and Mumford.

liz
18th February 2010, 01:12 PM
Shaw, Hannebery, O'Keefe, Meredith,Barlow,Vesz, White, Bradshaw,Johnston, Thornoton, Mumford, Playfair are not listed.

Does anybody know what happened to Barlow? Had reports of best results in runs and then absent from Intra game matches. Also not so sure if what happened to ROK and Mumford.

None of those omitted players participated in last week's intraclub. Shaw and Thornton spectated. Vesz, Hannebery, Mumford, White, Playfair and Barlow ran laps. Johnston rode a bike. O'Keefe, Bradshaw and Meredith were not spotted (by me, anyway).

On the other hand, Goodes, Bolton and LRT also ran laps and they have been named.

ShockOfHair
18th February 2010, 01:41 PM
Some interesting players missing:

SHAW
HANNAS
O'KEEFE
MEREDITH
BARLOW
VEZ
WHITE
BRADSHAW
JOHNSTONE
PLAYFAIR
MUMMY

Thanks! That's actually more useful than the team sheet. Interesting they're not giving Playfair a run. Go Crusher.

Would have liked to have seen Vez play though.

ugg
18th February 2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks! That's actually more useful than the team sheet. Interesting they're not giving Playfair a run. Go Crusher.

Would have liked to have seen Vez play though.
I'm sure whether win, lose or extra time, the Swans are keen to rotate the senior players across the pre-season games to even out the workload. So I wouldn't worry too much about the likes of ROK and Shaw missing.

Playfair, on the other hand, is a different story. I'm surprised that you're surprised that he isn't playnig, given he missed all of last year.

BSA5
18th February 2010, 02:51 PM
With the squad as named, I see the team lining up like so:

B: Nick Smith, Craig Bolton, Lewis Roberts-Thomson

HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner

C: Kieran Jack, Craig Bird, Josh Kennedy

HF: Jarrad McVeigh, Adam Goodes, Paul Bevan

F: Jarred Moore, Daniel Currie, Trent Dennis-Lane

R: Mark Seaby, Brett Kirk, Jude Bolton

I/C: Mike Pyke, Nick Malceski, Ben McGlynn, Lewis Jetta, Byron Sumner, Gary Rohan, Ted Richards, Matthew O'Dwyer

Emergencies: Sam Reid, Campbell Heath, Taylor Gilchrist

Captain
18th February 2010, 03:01 PM
I would have something like:

B: Nick Smith, Craig Bolton, Heath Grundy

HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Martin Mattner

C: Jarrad McVeigh, Ben McGlynn, Josh Kennedy

HF: Kieran Jack, Adam Goodes, Matthew O'Dwyer

F: Ted Richards, Daniel Currie, Trent Dennis-Lane

I/C: Mike Pyke, Nick Malceski, Lewis Jetta, Byron Sumner, Gary Rohan, Paul Bevan, Craig Bird, Jarred Moore

Mr Magoo
18th February 2010, 03:18 PM
Still looks a lot to me like the swans are treating the NAB Cup the same way they do every year. As a means to see how the new and younger guys perform on the bigger stage with a smatterring of more senior guys getting some game time into their legs.

Hartijon
18th February 2010, 04:21 PM
Still looks a lot to me like the swans are treating the NAB Cup the same way they do every year. As a means to see how the new and younger guys perform on the bigger stage with a smatterring of more senior guys getting some game time into their legs.
True but it will still be more willing than last year as players battle for the positions available.To get in the Swans starting 22 you are going to have to do well in thew pre-season comps.

smasher
18th February 2010, 04:31 PM
I would have something like:

B: Nick Smith, Craig Bolton, Heath Grundy

HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Martin Mattner

C: Jarrad McVeigh, Ben McGlynn, Josh Kennedy

HF: Kieran Jack, Adam Goodes, Matthew O'Dwyer

F: Ted Richards, Daniel Currie, Trent Dennis-Lane

I/C: Mike Pyke, Nick Malceski, Lewis Jetta, Byron Sumner, Gary Rohan, Paul Bevan, Craig Bird, Jarred Moore

Richards in the forward pocket? That's not his usual gig is it?

msb
18th February 2010, 04:32 PM
I would still be surprised if goodes and a few other senior players lined up. I dont think we'll win, but really WHO CARES! Carlton have always taken this thing seriously. As long as the young brigade do well and get the experience.

Captain
18th February 2010, 04:44 PM
Richards in the forward pocket? That's not his usual gig is it?

With Grundy, LRT and Bolton our 3 tall defenders, reckon we will see more of Richards up forward this year - especially to cover White and Bradshaw who aren't playing.

TheGong
18th February 2010, 04:45 PM
My side.

B: Nick Smith, LRT, Heath Grundy

HB: Tadhg Kennelly, Craig Bolton, Nick Malceski

C: Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh, Marty Mattner

HF: Kieran Jack, Adam Goodes, Paul Bevan

F: Ben McGlynn, Ted Richards, Trent Dennis-Lane

R: Mark Seaby, Brett Kirk, Josh Kennedy

I/C: Daniel Currie, Lewis Jetta, Craig Bird, Jarred Moore, Matt O'Dwyer, Mike Pyke

Replacements: Garry Rohan, Byron Summner

Go Swannies
18th February 2010, 04:53 PM
I was beaten to it but it doesn't look to me like we're taking this NAB Cup any more seriously than previous years. A lot of kids getting a run to see how they go. But this year they know that if they shape up they'll be playing seniors in a few weeks. I wouldn't worry about the missing Barlow, Playfair etc. Maybe we know what they can do and how they are going and for balance sake they are playing the following week.

I like the balance of senior players to guide the juniors. I hope this lot really are our indestructibles as there's a long season to go.

It will be exciting to see how the kids go but you wouldn't be putting money on a win.

Hartijon
18th February 2010, 05:46 PM
With Grundy, LRT and Bolton our 3 tall defenders, reckon we will see more of Richards up forward this year - especially to cover White and Bradshaw who aren't playing.But he is a lousy kick for goal or doesn't that matter?

ShockOfHair
18th February 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm sure Richards won't play forward. It was a running joke last year that he was named CHF every week and every week played up back. AT least this week he won't have Fev to stand in front of.:eek:

Meet our new gun forward - the Pykester:

With Jesse White (ankle) and Daniel Bradshaw (knee) unavailable, Daniel Currie and Mike Pyke will lend key-position support to Adam Goodes up forward.

Expect 'messy' football, says Roos - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89681/default.aspx)

MadCanuck
18th February 2010, 06:17 PM
I dont think we'll win, but really WHO CARES! Carlton have always taken this thing seriously.

And what impresses people about THAT Blues side?

BSA5
18th February 2010, 06:19 PM
I would still be surprised if goodes and a few other senior players lined up. I dont think we'll win, but really WHO CARES! Carlton have always taken this thing seriously. As long as the young brigade do well and get the experience.

I want to win. I want to see us televised as much as possible.

ernie koala
18th February 2010, 06:51 PM
I want to win. I want to see us televised as much as possible.

I agree, I'm looking forward to watching some pre season games (hopefully more than 1) with so many new faces on board.
Could be a tough ask with out ROK, Bradshaw, Shaw, White, Mumford etc
BTW, does anyone know why Vespa isn't playing?

Nico
18th February 2010, 07:42 PM
Heard Roos say on SEN this morning that Mumford had a bit of bruising and they would rest him. Nothing wrong with him and he is fit and well.

Legs Akimbo
18th February 2010, 08:25 PM
So after the most hyped summer ever...back to reality and a loss in the first week of the Ansett Cup.

Plugger46
18th February 2010, 08:32 PM
With Grundy, LRT and Bolton our 3 tall defenders, reckon we will see more of Richards up forward this year - especially to cover White and Bradshaw who aren't playing.

His turnovers won't be so costly there at least.

Number 43
18th February 2010, 10:46 PM
A team was announced about 10 minutes ago.

29 names but only 26 will play

My Starting 18:

B SMITH C.BOLTON ROBERTS-THOMSON
HB KENNELLY GRUNDY RICHARDS
C MATTNER MCVEIGH MALCESKI
HF MOORE GOODES BIRD
F JACK DENNIS-LANE CURRIE
R SEABY KIRK J.BOLTON

smasher
19th February 2010, 06:38 AM
Just read the selected players on
AFL - The official site of the Australian Football League - AFL.com.au (www.AFL.com.au) and am quite happy that I have no plans to go to Blacktown.Carlton is going in with a strong side and we are doing a fair bit of trialing.I have a strong feeling that this will be our first and only NAB Cup match this year.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but we are giving some young blokes who are our future a run.Will be good to have a look at what they've they've got.

Mountain Man
19th February 2010, 06:40 AM
That would be a very conservative 22; not much of a change from last year; few 'kids', and not very exciting.

I hope we will see more changes than:

Currie for Hall
T L-D for O'Loughlin
Searby for Jolly

Mountain Man
19th February 2010, 06:43 AM
I meant that is a very conservative 18!

Extended bench will mean more trials and excitement

Hartijon
19th February 2010, 12:15 PM
I believe this is one year we can't afford to have a casual attitude towards the NAB cup. Winning a couple will boost membership by generating excitement and coverage before the main season. We have been "sold" a new look Swans and die hard supporters want to see if this is true. There is an air of anticipation this year unlike other years and it would be frustrating if our matches were not televised. Realistically ,with a younger less experienced team,the more game time we can get,the more exposure to media pressure,the better. As Roos acknowledged,it will take time to Gel as a team and playing together is the only way. With the tightness of the competition and the possibility of a spot in the 8,we can't afford to coast into the season and rely on experienced players to win us a spot in the second half of the season.We have to win from the first game to the last as many as we can.

CJK
19th February 2010, 12:35 PM
No. The NAB Cup is stupid.

Number 43
19th February 2010, 02:07 PM
That would be a very conservative 22; not much of a change from last year; few 'kids', and not very exciting.

I hope we will see more changes than:

Currie for Hall
T L-D for O'Loughlin
Searby for Jolly

Just my opinion on a starting 18 at the first bounce..... I too want to see the younger brigade but I reckon you might find them interchanged on and off the bench a fair bit and trialled in different spots in and around the more experienced players......or do you think they'll whack them all on there and say go for it...maybe rest the older players a bit more?????

liz
19th February 2010, 02:10 PM
I had a very vivid dream about this game last night. All I can remember though is Rohan kicking 3 goals.

swansrob
19th February 2010, 02:15 PM
I have a two jug bet with a Carlton supporting friend riding on this game.

top40
19th February 2010, 03:03 PM
I am very excited about this NAB cup game. Particularly:

Trent Dennis-Lane
Can he continue his form in the intraclub game last week? If he can, he will be challenging for a key forward position for the Round 1 against the Saints.

The boys are back in town?
Will Tadhg and Esky return to form? Esky was subject to a critical but constructive newspaper article this week. Fingers cross for both of them in 2010. Ironically, with those two in mind, there was a period in 2006 & 2007, when the first 30 odd games the two played together, the Swans lost only 2 or 3 games.

Teddy?s return
Let?s hope that Ted Richards has fully recovered from his terrible injury last July, coincidently also against Carlton.

New Kids on the block
I particularly will be interested to see how both Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta perform. Along with Jarrad McVeigh, they represent the only top 15 draft picks for Sydney for a decade.

Mike Pike
Still fuming over Brian Taylor?s repetitive put downs of Mike Pike?s 2009 Pre season ruck work. I will be interested to see if Mike has developed his skills.

The immigrant Hawks
I am particularly looking forward to seeking Ben McGlynn play, as there has been some very big raps on him. Josh Kennedy?s form will also be worth watching, as he is on the cusp of, I believe, Round 1 selection if everyone in the list is fully fit.

liz
19th February 2010, 04:37 PM
New Kids on the block
I particularly will be interested to see how both Gary Rohan and Lewis Jetta perform. Along with Jarrad McVeigh, they represent the only top 15 draft picks for Sydney for a decade.

Except for Veszpremi.

And Johnston.

Hartijon
19th February 2010, 07:04 PM
My Team

FB: Smith Grundy Bolton C
HB: Malceski LRT Kennelly
C: Bird Kirk Mattner
HF: Jack Goodes Bolton J
FF McGlynn Currie TDL

Followers: Seaby Kennedy Mc Veigh

Interchange: G Rohan, Jetta, Moore Pyke, Sumner , Bevan,O'Dwyer
Emergencies: Gilchrist, Cambell Heath, S.Reid

hammo
19th February 2010, 08:26 PM
Rohan excited for debut

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/sydney-names-rohan-for-nab-cup-clash-with-carlton/1755158.aspx

DeadlyAkkuret
19th February 2010, 10:18 PM
It's hard to tell because he's facing away from the camera, but that other boy doing weights is almost a dead ringer for Rohan!

sharp9
20th February 2010, 06:57 AM
There doesn't seem to be any cut down squad....29 named everywhere except on the "teams" page in the afl gameday thingy....but that doesn't mention Rohan who is a certain stater...so that's obviously to do with only having space for 22 in the software.

Are there 29 players...or are the culled not named till game time....anyone?

BTW have moved permanently to New Zealand where there is not only NO NAB cup coverage AT ALL

But you have to pay US$10.00 a month for an affiliate Pigpondtv that took 5 days to upload the NAB cup matches...and hasn't even put the WC/Ess game up at all.

IN Europe/UK/Nth America you can stream video of the matches at AFL.com.au

That is blocked here...yet there are no matches on TV. Absolutely disgusting.

So much for the AFL trying to grow the game!!!!!!!!

sharp9
20th February 2010, 07:00 AM
Back to teams....
The senior players missing are

O'Keefe
White
Bradshaw
Shaw
Veszpremi
Meredith
Barlow
Hanneberry