PDA

View Full Version : Yes It's True Sydney Swans have supporters in Sydney

Reggi
22nd February 2010, 07:21 AM
Incredible insights from Mike Sheahan, Sydney Swans have supporters in Sydney! And Players!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kicking-goals-after-dream-start/story-e6frf9jf-1225832793707

Next week from @@@@@ey Trees in Tasmania fact or fiction

It looked a similar crowd to the North Sydney oval 'traditional' trial which was usually a good day

Swans Still Tuning

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/roos-on-right-track-but-still-tuning-20100221-onyh.html

You're now Flying Jet-Star

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-thrilled-to-be-flying-with-jetstar-after-dazzling-debut-20100221-onye.html

It was that smile like a five year old that just opened his Christmas presents

Primmy
22nd February 2010, 10:13 AM
What amazes me is the bleeding insights that are so stupid. Like 80% of the crowd were from the west, therefore GWS.

Are they colourblind? It was all RED AND WHITE people. Reality Check. The west have Sydney Swans supporters. They were there to see the first game of the season. NOTHING to do with GWS.

Stupid stupid men. mutter grumble, cumudgeon style growling....

BSA5
22nd February 2010, 10:56 AM
What amazes me is the bleeding insights that are so stupid. Like 80% of the crowd were from the west, therefore GWS.

Are they colourblind? It was all RED AND WHITE people. Reality Check. The west have Sydney Swans supporters. They were there to see the first game of the season. NOTHING to do with GWS.

Stupid stupid men. mutter grumble, cumudgeon style growling....

I guess what's important about the 80% of the crowd from the west is that it means there is a football culture there. Of course it's mainly Swans, the Swans are the only teams. But if you can get 8,000 Swans fans to a Swans NAB Cup match with tickets sold out, a League match on over the road (well, not quite) and a history of losing badly in these matches, then it suggests that Swans supporters are reasonably common there. And if Swans supporters are reasonably common there, GWS supporters should be able to become reasonably common there.

The entire basis of the GWS push is the fact that support lies between two extremes: none, in which case there's not much point going in, and saturation, in which case it will only steal supporters off the Swans. GWS wants to build upon a football culture started by the Swans, but not dominant. Those crowd figures are being used to demonstrate that this football culture exists.

hammo
22nd February 2010, 12:12 PM
Reggi you'll give yourself an ulcer worrying this much about media coverage so early in the season.

Wardy
22nd February 2010, 12:17 PM
I thought that it very amusing that in yesterdays paper they did a comparison of the crowd saying that league won hands down - 11,000 odd turned up at the Penrith Parra game - now there are the two local teams and they could still only manage 11,000. We had just 200 shy of the full house of 10,000 at Blacktown with 97% of people being Swans Supporters - what the paper doesnt tell you is that Penrith Stadium holds actually 21,000 so it was still only half full. So the AFL should be happy with the turn out.

snajik
22nd February 2010, 01:43 PM
I thought that it very amusing that in yesterdays paper they did a comparison of the crowd saying that league won hands down - 11,000 odd turned up at the Penrith Parra game - now there are the two local teams and they could still only manage 11,000. We had just 200 shy of the full house of 10,000 at Blacktown with 97% of people being Swans Supporters - what the paper doesnt tell you is that Penrith Stadium holds actually 21,000 so it was still only half full. So the AFL should be happy with the turn out.

Further, the game sold out two weeks before the game therefore it wasn't possible to squeeze in more than the pre-determined ground capacity of 10,000. I'd guess also that there were a good number of people other than myself who were unable to get a ticket. The sellout also eliminated the fans who traditionally purchase at the gate on the day. If BOS had a Penrith Park capacity I'd be very surprised if it didn't top the 15K mark.

Reggi
23rd February 2010, 07:49 PM
Reggi you'll give yourself an ulcer worrying this much about media coverage so early in the season.

Nah, the Mike Sheahan one just amused me it was so niave.....