PDA

View Full Version : Let the predictions begin...

ShockOfHair
11th March 2010, 03:11 PM
A top eight finish for the Swans is "achievable", according to Michael Rogers at AFL.com.au.

Season guide 2010: Sydney Swans - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90365/default.aspx)

His team is pretty close, though Kennedy and Hannebery would be ahead of TDL at this stage.

BEST 22
B: Ted Richards, Craig Bolton, Lewis Roberts-Thomson
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Rhyce Shaw, Ryan O?Keefe, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Kieren Jack, Adam Goodes, Ben McGlynn
F: Jesse White, Daniel Bradshaw, Lewis Jetta
Foll: Mark Seaby, Brett Kirk, Jude Bolton
I/C: Shane Mumford, Nick Malceski, Paul Bevan, Trent Dennis-Lane

Leigh Colbert at the Hun has begun predicting the entire ladder, starting with 16th (Tigers).

BSA5
11th March 2010, 06:28 PM
No Bird? Fairly big omission, he's a definite starter for me. Unless he's predicting the Round 1 side, he's missed a trick there.

Bas
11th March 2010, 09:02 PM
No Bird? Fairly big omission, he's a definite starter for me. Unless he's predicting the Round 1 side, he's missed a trick there.

Bird out for 10 weeks probably influenced his opinion. He did get a full pre-season in so that depends on how he gets back.

BSA5
11th March 2010, 09:05 PM
Bird out for 10 weeks probably influenced his opinion. He did get a full pre-season in so that depends on how he gets back.

No @@@@. That's why I said "unless he's predicting the Round 1 side". But it says "best 22" in the article, and best 22 means all fit (and even if it didn't, he's included Bradshaw and TDL who are also injured). Bird, when fit, is easily best 22.

ugg
12th March 2010, 10:46 AM
This is probably as bad as you're going to get. No Jack, Tadhg at CHB(??),

Sydney: Team Preview - AFL - Sportal Australia (http://sportal.com.au/afl-team-preview-display/sydney-team-preview-87457)

DST
12th March 2010, 02:55 PM

Sydney: Team Preview - AFL - Sportal Australia (http://sportal.com.au/afl-team-preview-display/sydney-team-preview-87457)

That is pretty lazy all round.

There is no way that Grundy won't hold down CHB and they make reference to our older midfield but fail to mention replacements in McGlynn, Kennedy and more help from Jack, McVeigh, Hannaberry and not to mention both Shaw and Mattner playing more in the midfield this year with Kennelly and Malceski down back.

Where is Smith as well as out small defender?

DST

DST

Doctor
13th March 2010, 12:32 AM
The lazier and less-informed they are the better as far as I'm concerned. I reckon we're right in it this year. I fear the Dogs and (shudder) the Magpies may be a bridge too far for us but we are going to surprise a lot of people this year IMO. I'm excited.

There. I've said it. If we fall in a heap this year it's my fault. We won't though.

laughingnome
13th March 2010, 12:31 PM
In Inside Football's preview they rank each teams top 32 players in terms of importance to the team. That is, the number one rank is the player the team can least do without. Here is Sydney's 32 for the start of the year and, where applicable, their rank at the same time last year.

Compiled by Ben Casanelia
Rank|Player|Prev|Change
1|C. Bolton|7|+6|
2|A. Goodes|1|-1|
3|R. O'Keefe|4|+1|
4|D. Bradshaw|-|n/a|
5|J. McVeigh|6|+1|
6|M. Seaby|-|n/a|
7|J. Bolton|9|+2|
8|B. Kirk|5|-3|
9|R. Shaw|14|+5|
10|M. Mattner|11|+1|
11|J. White|27|+16|
12|T. Richards|21|+9|
13|T. Kennelly|-|n/a|
14|H. Grundy|22|+8|
15|N. Malceski|10|-5|
16|S. Mumford|-|n/a|
17|N. Smith|30|+13|
18|L. Roberts-Thompson|12|-6|
19|K. Jack|20|+1|
20|B. McGlynn|-|n/a|
21|P. Veszpremi|18|-3|
22|J. Kennedy|-|n/a|
23|D. Hannebery|>32|>+9|
24|M. O'Dwyer|29|+5|
25|C. Bird|15|-10|
26|J. Moore|19|-7|
27|E. Barlow|25|-2|
28|B. Meredith|>32|>+4|
29|P. Bevan|17|-12|
30|K. Thornton|>32|>+2|
31|M. Pyke*|>32|>+1|
32|H. Playfair*|26|-6|

I personally think Richards is too high and at least Bird and LRT are too low, but it does give some idea of where the newcomers fot into the side. The mag's also got an in-depth player review if anyone buys it, was worth the read. Most of the punters I've read seem to pick us as the Essendon of last year - not the best but dangerous enough to challenge and to finish 6-10.

ScottH
13th March 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm surprised that they rated Smith above Jack and LRT.
They must actually watch the games!!

Watch Smith and Jack rise next year!!

Midfield
13th March 2010, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=laughingnome;475482]In Inside Football's preview they rank each teams top 32 players in terms of importance to the team. That is, the number one rank is the player the team can least do without. Here is Sydney's 32 for the start of the year and, where applicable, their rank at the same time last year.

Compiled by Ben Casanelia
Rank|Player|Prev|Change
1|C. Bolton|7|+6|
2|A. Goodes|1|-1|
3|R. O'Keefe|4|+1|
4|D. Bradshaw|-|n/a|
5|J. McVeigh|6|+1|
6|M. Seaby|-|n/a|
7|J. Bolton|9|+2|
8|B. Kirk|5|-3|
9|R. Shaw|14|+5|
10|M. Mattner|11|+1|
11|J. White|27|+16|
12|T. Richards|21|+9|
13|T. Kennelly|-|n/a|
14|H. Grundy|22|+8|
15|N. Malceski|10|-5|
16|S. Mumford|-|n/a|
17|N. Smith|30|+13|
18|L. Roberts-Thompson|12|-6|
19|K. Jack|20|+1|
20|B. McGlynn|-|n/a|
21|P. Veszpremi|18|-3|
22|J. Kennedy|-|n/a|
23|D. Hannebery|>32|>+9|
24|M. O'Dwyer|29|+5|
25|C. Bird|15|-10|
26|J. Moore|19|-7|
27|E. Barlow|25|-2|
28|B. Meredith|>32|>+4|
29|P. Bevan|17|-12|
30|K. Thornton|>32|>+2|
31|M. Pyke*|>32|>+1|
32|H. Playfair*|26|-6|

Seeing this list reminded me of how much i was looking forward to seeing Meredith play again. Can anyone up date me on how he's going?

ScottH
13th March 2010, 11:01 PM
Seeing this list reminded me of how much i was looking forward to seeing Meredith play again. Can anyone up date me on how he's going?
Quad 4-6 weeks.

Sydney Swans Injury List - Official AFL website of the Sydney Swans football club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/injury%20list/tabid/11505/default.aspx)

ShockOfHair
14th March 2010, 01:49 AM
Hey LaughingGnome was that list voted on by the readers or compiled just by IF? (The readers were pretty close with their 6-10 prediction.)

The name that stands out to me is Seaby. He couldn't get a game with the Coast last year, now he's ranked above Kirk and Jude. Sixth maybe a bit high but on his pre-season form he's definitely top ten.

Lucky Knickers
14th March 2010, 09:20 AM
There are some strange ratings there. Bird below Vesz?
I love Craig Bolton and it's excellent to see him rating so highly. Hopefully, his importance will lessen with Grundy and LRT improving.
Shaw - 2nd in our B&F at 9?

liz
14th March 2010, 10:01 AM
There are some strange ratings there. Bird below Vesz?
I love Craig Bolton and it's excellent to see him rating so highly. Hopefully, his importance will lessen with Grundy and LRT improving.
Shaw - 2nd in our B&F at 9?

I think depth in a position has an impact on importance as much as the ability of a player. Super though Shaw was last year, you could argue that none of our HBFers is critically important to the team because we have so many of them.

Mind you, watching us play the Saints a couple of weeks ago I had a strange feeling - I suddenly realised that the emergence of Grundy as a defender able to play on the very best forwards means that the prospect of going into games without Bolton no longer was a stomach churning experience. I still think he (Bolton) is an extremely important player because of his flexibility and leadership in the back six. But if we lost him for a significant portion of the season, I don't think it would be a calamatous as in years gone by.

laughingnome
14th March 2010, 10:38 AM
Hey LaughingGnome was that list voted on by the readers or compiled just by IF?

Compiled by IF.

chalbilto
14th March 2010, 10:43 AM
Interesting point by Liz, regaring Bolton's status in the backs. This raises the question about the extremely important players in the forwards, centre & the bench. Maybe Goodes for forwards? Kirk for the centre? Maybe Richards (assuming he is not in the starting 22) for the bench? I'd be interested in the opinions of other posters.

hammo
14th March 2010, 11:54 AM
Hey LaughingGnome was that list voted on by the readers or compiled just by IF? (The readers were pretty close with their 6-10 prediction.)

The name that stands out to me is Seaby. He couldn't get a game with the Coast last year, now he's ranked above Kirk and Jude. Sixth maybe a bit high but on his pre-season form he's definitely top ten.
It's merely an indication that he's our number 1 ruckman.

BSA5
14th March 2010, 01:50 PM
Mind you, watching us play the Saints a couple of weeks ago I had a strange feeling - I suddenly realised that the emergence of Grundy as a defender able to play on the very best forwards means that the prospect of going into games without Bolton no longer was a stomach churning experience. I still think he (Bolton) is an extremely important player because of his flexibility and leadership in the back six. But if we lost him for a significant portion of the season, I don't think it would be a calamatous as in years gone by.

You're right on that. I was thinking about matchups for the Saints game and I found myself putting LRT on Kozzi, Grundy on Riewoldt and Bolton on Milne of all people. Suddenly, Bolton's playing on arguably their third forward. Now, the fact that Bolton would be able to play on both Milne or Riewoldt is a huge, huge asset in terms of team flexibility, and I have him there partially because even though he'd do a slightly better job on Riewoldt than Grundy, I trust Grundy enough to cover him, and I wouldn't trust anybody else to mind both Milne and Schneider (as much as I like our plethora of small half backs, none of them are really able to be both defensive and attacking at the same time, and I want all guns firing from half back against the Saints to keep the ball moving). Smith would get the job on Schneider, Bolton on Milne. Richards takes third tall.

But yeah, point is that with the emergence of Grundy, I don't see Bolton playing as key a role in defence this year, becoming more of a Mr Fixit in defence depending on matchups.

ernie koala
15th March 2010, 02:01 PM
You're right on that. I was thinking about matchups for the Saints game and I found myself putting LRT on Kozzi, Grundy on Riewoldt and Bolton on Milne of all people. Suddenly, Bolton's playing on arguably their third forward. Now, the fact that Bolton would be able to play on both Milne or Riewoldt is a huge, huge asset in terms of team flexibility, and I have him there partially because even though he'd do a slightly better job on Riewoldt than Grundy, I trust Grundy enough to cover him, and I wouldn't trust anybody else to mind both Milne and Schneider (as much as I like our plethora of small half backs, none of them are really able to be both defensive and attacking at the same time, and I want all guns firing from half back against the Saints to keep the ball moving). Smith would get the job on Schneider, Bolton on Milne. Richards takes third tall.

But yeah, point is that with the emergence of Grundy, I don't see Bolton playing as key a role in defence this year, becoming more of a Mr Fixit in defence depending on matchups.

I'd be very surprised if Bolton didn't get the oppositions 'go to forward' most weeks...ie Riewoldt, Hall, Fevola etc...he rarely gets beaten.
I agree having Grundy capable of covering a No.1 or 2 tall forward gives our backline more flexability. It seems either LRT or Richards will rotate off the bench, so we'll be well served for tall defenders. Bradshaw is also a good defender if needed (though probably only in desperate situations). I would think they would be more inclined to put one of our attacking halfbacks on either Milne or Schneider to expose their lack of accountability, with Smith playing on the other. Anyway, it's good to be able to have these debates, as it points to good depth.

smasher
15th March 2010, 04:56 PM
We will need to be very physical to beat the Saints. Glad to hear they will have no Fisher.Our forward line may be our trump card.

16th March 2010, 11:28 AM
They must have compiled their list before the pre season games as Jetta and Rohan don't make their 32 but both may well make the our 22 for Round 1.

liz
16th March 2010, 01:06 PM
They must have compiled their list before the pre season games as Jetta and Rohan don't make their 32 but both may well make the our 22 for Round 1.

Haven't seen this year's. but in the past they've stated clearly that they only include players who have played senior footy. So no newbies will be included regardless of their potential immediate impact.

goswannie14
16th March 2010, 01:45 PM

You have to wonder about some of the tripe these idiots trot out.
The addition of Mark Seaby and Shane Mumford following the departure of Darren Jolly, also leaves the Swans with two genuine ruckmen for the first time in recent memory.
Has he forgotten about the Ball/Jolly combo?

BSA5
16th March 2010, 01:52 PM
You have to wonder about some of the tripe these idiots trot out.Has he forgotten about the Ball/Jolly combo?

Or even Jolly/Everitt in 07? Everitt was more than handy in his first year with us, it wasn't until 08 that age truly began to catch up with him.