PDA

View Full Version : Lets Get Real

Mountain Man
21st March 2010, 01:20 PM
We know Round 1 is next weekend, against St Kilda, at SA. Other threads are around this issue, but lets deal with the realities.

We are told Bradshaw will be ready. We know who St Kilda put on the field for the NAB Cup, and we know Fisher is out. I have replaced him with Dempster and left Peake in their 22 rather than any of their yet-to-play candidates.

My team follows, with possible match ups and roles. I know height is not everything, but with the style of play used by both the Swans and St Kilda it is a good indicator of how the inevitable one-on-ones would work.

For us, my team has 2 genuine brand new players (Jetta and McGlynn); 1 genuine new from last year (Kennelly); 3 who are very decent replacements for talent lost (Bradshaw, Mumford and Seaby), and some 6 who have opportunities to settle into new roles and help reinvent the Swans game plan (White, Goodes Bevan, Jack, Mattner and Malceski).

Gram 186 Kieren Jack 178 small crumber with flexibility
Dawson 195 Daniel Bradshaw 191 from goal square
Dempster 197 Jesse White 196 pocket and leading

Baker 189 Paul Bevan 183 play tight: keep it in
Gilbert 194 Adam Goodes 194 free to roam
Goddard 191 Ryan O?Keefe 188 free to roam

McEvoy 200 Mark Seaby 200 one usually on bench
King 201 Shane Mumford 200 young ex Geelong V old ex Geelong

Montagna 178 Ben McGlynn 174 run with
Hayes 186 Brett Kirk 184 what he does
Dal Santo 186 Jarrad McVeigh 184 what he does
Armitage 183 Jude Bolton 183 what he does
Geary 183 Nick Malceski 188 fast forward delivery
Ray 187 Martin Mattner 188 fast forward delivery
Jones 183 Lewis Jetta 181 run fast with it, then deliver
Peake 186
Ted Richards 192 bench; rest back 6; fill hole

McQualter 179 Tadhg Kennelly 190 revitalised Irishman
Riewoldt 193 Craig Bolton 190 usual match up
Schneider 179 Rhyce Shaw 182 both fairly unaccountable

Gwilt 188 Heath Grundy 194 swap with CB when needed
Koschitzke 197 Lewis Roberts Thomson 196 usual match up
Milne 178 Nick Smith 185 our best 'small' defender

BSA5
21st March 2010, 02:54 PM
Dempster is not 197 cm, nor is he a key defender.

royboy42
21st March 2010, 06:40 PM
Interesting Mountain Man; but last friday they played a tag practice match and Braddles ran sprints and a little one on one practice. I can't see Roos playing him in a prem match in a week if he couldn't handle a tag practice match a week before...hopefully round 2?
He also rested Rohan from practice friday..two possible interpretations..one, he wants him jumping out of his skin next week in prep for the saints or , two. his endurance is still not up there and he needed the rest to keep the slow build up. i hope the first, but suspect the second.

Bleed Red Blood
21st March 2010, 09:31 PM
If Bevan plays as a forward, I'd try him on Gram. Stop him and Goddard and it shuts the Saint's down a lot imo. Also, what role will Richards play? There's no forward at St kilda that he's right for.

Primmy
22nd March 2010, 08:29 AM
Oh dear, I now see the quandry of playing with DT. I have 3 saints in my team.....I am going to be splitched all over the place!!! Bugger.

DST
22nd March 2010, 02:33 PM
Isn't Dempster out with injury?

Bevan is a monty to take Gram to do a job on him, probably will run Rohan against him as well as a tough tackling forward who can keep up with him.

DST

royboy42
22nd March 2010, 03:31 PM
Oh dear, I now see the quandry of playing with DT. I have 3 saints in my team.....I am going to be splitched all over the place!!! Bugger.

Splitched?

Primmy
22nd March 2010, 03:33 PM
Splitched?

Not a Harry Potter fan then?

satchmopugdog
22nd March 2010, 04:36 PM

I was about to say Primmy.."great to see the Harry Potter reference and very apt too."

Bleed Red Blood
22nd March 2010, 05:20 PM

It's 'Splinched'.

royboy42
22nd March 2010, 05:47 PM
Nope...Harry Potter and I are not acquainted but I'd love to know what it means anyway?

wearebloods
22nd March 2010, 05:56 PM
Nope...Harry Potter and I are not acquainted but I'd love to know what it means anyway?

"Splinching is what occurs when a witch or wizard apparates or disapparates unsuccessfully, leaving part of his or her clothes or body behind in their former location. The degree of splinching can range from minimal, such as loss of hair, to life-threatening, such as loss of flesh or muscle, though the damage is usually repairable"

Splinch - Harry Potter Wiki - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Splinch)

no need to thank me :p

Primmy
22nd March 2010, 06:05 PM
OK. I won't.

But thanks for the spelling pickup. Splinched it is.

royboy42
22nd March 2010, 06:48 PM
LOL...Now i just have to work out apparate...and disapparate , and then link it to Dream Teams...getting a headache..and the day had been going so smoothly too!

Bas
22nd March 2010, 09:11 PM
Well Mountain Man, it's been great that you have spent less time with Mountain Women this past week and have dedicated time to look at these matchups.

Looking at pre-season stats Gram, Del Santo, Reiwoldt and Schneider have been the biggest possession winners for the Saints in that order.

Perhaps Jack on Gram.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd March 2010, 10:19 PM
"Splinching is what occurs when a witch or wizard apparates or disapparates unsuccessfully, leaving part of his or her clothes or body behind in their former location. The degree of splinching can range from minimal, such as loss of hair, to life-threatening, such as loss of flesh or muscle, though the damage is usually repairable"

Splinch - Harry Potter Wiki - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Splinch)

no need to thank me :p

Wow...

ScottH
23rd March 2010, 07:57 AM
Wow...

Considered yourself learned now!!! ;)