PDA

View Full Version : Barlow the Fastest Swan Ever! But who cares.....

staple
22nd March 2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/90807/default.aspx

"Ed Barlow has smashed the Sydney Swans long-standing 3km time trial record.

Barlow was cheered on by most of his team-mates as he pushed himself to his limit in the last 100m and lunged across the line in a time 17 seconds faster than the previous record, which was set five years ago by David Spriggs."

Is endurance running all that important? Does Barlow have the skills necessary to suceed in the AFL? Can he really be better than the legendary Spriggs?

CJK
22nd March 2010, 02:51 PM
Barlow, now better than Spriggs.

Grand Final here we come.

Primmy
22nd March 2010, 03:36 PM
Well at least it shows he is trying at something... I am dying to cheer him on.....sighn

dread and might
22nd March 2010, 03:45 PM
Swans answer to Mark Bolton

Kirkari
22nd March 2010, 04:19 PM
Is endurance running all that important?

You can't use your skills if you're puking on the sideline, so yes, it's important. Not the be all and end all, but that's true of any component of the game, isn't it?

ugg
22nd March 2010, 04:32 PM
Below the belt! That was uncalled for

satchmopugdog
22nd March 2010, 04:35 PM
Great to see Lewis Johnston's name mentioned as achieving a personal best.

Go Swannies
22nd March 2010, 05:14 PM
runny cheese . . .

Auntie.Gerald
22nd March 2010, 09:41 PM
so if Barlow beat Spriggs by 17 seconds and McVeigh who did 10:02 at the draft years back was beaten by Spriggs then you would hazard a guess that Barlow is sitting around the 9mins 35secs ???

but the 10:02 that McVeigh did might have been on a track which might still be faster then Spriggs grass 3km time trial.............plus Hannebery did 10:03 at the draft a year ago which also could have been on the track rather then the grass........but then again Stingray beat Hannes pre season who was also pipped by Ryno and McGlynn who only just beat Kirk at one of the tests.....who was followed up closely by O'Dwyer

:) .......pssssssttttt..........I no nathing !

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd March 2010, 10:21 PM
He's doomed

23rd March 2010, 08:30 AM
I so want Ed to put it together, could be an X factor man for us but the clock is ticking for him

Jewels
23rd March 2010, 09:03 AM
I so want Ed to put it together, could be an X factor man for us but the clock is ticking for him

I shudder at the thought.
The singular most frustrating player on our list!

stellation
23rd March 2010, 09:19 AM
I think this achievement, for a guy of Ed's size, probably answers the "why do they persist with him?" question that resonates around the ground from time to time. I'm a big fan of Ed, I'd love to see him make a wing his own this year.

Jewels
23rd March 2010, 09:29 AM
I think this achievement, for a guy of Ed's size, probably answers the "why do they persist with him?" question that resonates around the ground from time to time. I'm a big fan of Ed, I'd love to see him make a wing his own this year.

I know you're right in what you say, but it doesn't stop me clenching my teeth every time he runs onto the paddock!

penga
23rd March 2010, 10:16 AM

Ouch...

Robbo
23rd March 2010, 10:40 AM
He may be quick over 3km but he would be one of the slowest over 20m

lwjoyner
23rd March 2010, 11:29 AM
You have to be able to get the ball to be of any use. Its alright to run that time if you do it on the field and not get the ball doesnt help anyone. Time will tell

wearebloods
23rd March 2010, 11:30 AM

If the AFL decides to limit interchange movements, then this will be an advantage for him.

With a refreshed list & subsequent boost in competitiveness for a senior spot, Barlow needs to make his mark this year, he's had more then enough opportunities.

If he doesn't deliver then he should be delist/trade bait material without any recriminations....hopefully it won't come to that.

BSA5
23rd March 2010, 01:26 PM

Bull@@@@. When he puts the foot down, he's as quick as anybody on our team (maybe not now we've got Jetta and Rohan, but you get the idea). It just rarely happens, because on the field, it seems like he's terrified of committing to a chase, tackle, run, whatever. He always hesitates, looks at all the options, tries to find a teammate when he has the ball, etc.

I distinctly remember twice last year, during his little purple patch where he was actually playing with some confidence (Round 14 -18 ish), he took the ball, turned an opponent inside out and burned them off while having a bounce. He's capable of it, he just needs to back himself. Otherwise he just kind of trots around, looking a bit like a lost puppy. Really, it's a tribute to his talent that he can still influence a game while in a permanent state of hesitation.

Legs Akimbo
23rd March 2010, 01:47 PM
All the better for him to run away when he hears footsteps.

harden the @@@@ up cheese.

Big Al
23rd March 2010, 01:49 PM
Bull@@@@. When he puts the foot down, he's as quick as anybody on our team (maybe not now we've got Jetta and Rohan, but you get the idea). It just rarely happens, because on the field, it seems like he's terrified of committing to a chase, tackle, run, whatever. He always hesitates, looks at all the options, tries to find a teammate when he has the ball, etc.

I distinctly remember twice last year, during his little purple patch where he was actually playing with some confidence (Round 14 -18 ish), he took the ball, turned an opponent inside out and burned them off while having a bounce. He's capable of it, he just needs to back himself. Otherwise he just kind of trots around, looking a bit like a lost puppy. Really, it's a tribute to his talent that he can still influence a game while in a permanent state of hesitation.

This is the annoying thing about Barlow. We know he's capable of good things and at his best he could be that x factor the Swans need but he just does not back himself enough. It's a bit like McVeigh early on where he was criticised on this site because he did not show the form we knew he was capable of. Hopefully Barlow can emulate McVeigh and finally show consistently the form we know he has.

Rod_
23rd March 2010, 02:01 PM
I watched Barlow in the game he played in Blacktown. He will impress this year. Running hard at the lines carrying the ball. He does possess good foot skills and has good penetration with his kicks.

Rod_

ShockOfHair
23rd March 2010, 02:35 PM
This is the annoying thing about Barlow. We know he's capable of good things and at his best he could be that x factor the Swans need but he just does not back himself enough. It's a bit like McVeigh early on where he was criticised on this site because he did not show the form we knew he was capable of. Hopefully Barlow can emulate McVeigh and.....

... heed our advice!

Plugger46
23rd March 2010, 03:06 PM

Agree entirely.

Auntie.Gerald
23rd March 2010, 03:08 PM
yep............Cheese does freeze up.

But there is no reason he cant keep playing out wide and get good at it................he just isnt great now...........Brett Kirk fought like buggery to get a spot at the Swans and be recognised as an important ingredient......I personally think that Kirky would be less effective in a different game plan.......ie the in close pressure the ball and man works well for a Kirk..........it doesnt so much for a Barlow just yet :)

Go Swannies
23rd March 2010, 06:29 PM
runny cheese . . .

Aw come on. At least one comment! I was quite proud of that one.

Red
23rd March 2010, 06:50 PM
runny cheese . . .

lol :)

Aw come on. At least one comment! I was quite proud of that one.

There you go.

Primmy
23rd March 2010, 09:07 PM
You are being generous red. Its been done before. ... then :)

When are these smilies going to imrove!!!

Plugger1300
23rd March 2010, 10:36 PM
He should take up track and field. His football career may end this year. We can't persist with players like him. Need players who want and use the ball well.
Runny Cheese!.. please were better than that

Midfield
23rd March 2010, 10:45 PM
All the better for him to run away when he hears footsteps.

harden the @@@@ up cheese.

Yep. I'd love for him to come off with a cut head rather than win the timetrial.

rojo
24th March 2010, 01:17 PM
I am one of Ed's fans and would love to see him get the opportunity to develop and play to his strengths, or just get a game. My optimistic self sees him as maybe a Dale Thomas-like player, a Goodes, an O'Keefe - who knows? But my pessimistic self suspects that he is not going to get the opportunity. As has been said, time is ticking away for him. Who in the team that is going to run out on Saturday could he push out? There doesn't seem to be a particular role for his strengths in the Swans' game plan with the current personnel. However, I still have hopes that his day(s) will come and we will see him cut the opposition to pieces and light up the SCG with his running, marking and kicking!!

Triple B
24th March 2010, 02:10 PM
My optimistic self sees him as maybe a Dale Thomas-like player, a Goodes, an O'Keefe - who knows?

OMG, please, please, please don't even mention Daisy Thomas in the same sentence as Goodes or O'Keefe, let alone comparing their relative abilities.

ShockOfHair
24th March 2010, 02:14 PM
It takes a little bit of mental strength to do endurance running, especially to smash a club record. 17 seconds over approximately 9 minutes is pretty good going. The other players were obviously impressed.

I agree Ed's problem seems to be self-belief. If we weren't so well-served for tall backs I'd send him there where it's do or die. But if the competition from our hot new recruits doesn't spark him this year, nothing will.