PDA

View Full Version : Ruck Combo

JC 14
30th March 2010, 12:09 AM
I know its only round 1 but i thought big Mumford and Seaby were great on Sat night, Seaby started off well and did not look slow like i thought he would considering all his football was in the WAFL in 09.

Mumford was slow to get into the game but really lifted in the last quarter, and 50 H/O combined compared to 36 for the Saints was a clear win to us.

Ponders the question that i think these 2 together are a superior combo when compared to Jolly / White/Pyke from the last year? The two together are prob on what Jolly was on last season...

swans_premiers
30th March 2010, 01:13 AM
Interestingly Jolly only got 16 hitouts on sunday. Seaby got something like 28?

liz
30th March 2010, 01:32 AM
Could be a strength for us this weekend. Griffin was very ordinary against Freo, even allowing for the fact he was up against Sandilands. The Crows could bring Maric in but he is still pretty inexperienced himself.

Mountain Man
30th March 2010, 03:48 AM
The time-on-ground of 56% and 65% seems to reflect that they also had some useful roles when not in the Ruck. As I recall ast year it was Jolly some 70% and ano a bare 30%

goswannie14
30th March 2010, 08:14 AM
I was very impressed with the Swans ruckwork. Seaby, in particular, was a real revelation.

Chilcott
30th March 2010, 08:39 AM
When I heard we were targeting Seaby as a recruit, I very much had my doubts. Didn't think he was much of a player.

However, his form in the pre-season and round 1 indicates he may be a very handy player for us.

Goes to show how little I know,when compared to the match committee.

dimelb
30th March 2010, 08:50 AM
I was very impressed with the Swans ruckwork. Seaby, in particular, was a real revelation.

When I heard we were targeting Seaby as a recruit, I very much had my doubts. Didn't think he was much of a player.

However, his form in the pre-season and round 1 indicates he may be a very handy player for us.
Goes to show how little I know,when compared to the match committee.
I put him in the votes for the TLM

Jeffers1984
30th March 2010, 08:53 AM
How was the Mumford tap to O'Keefe in the last quarter? ROK bloody missed the shot which was very gettable but i remember shouting out AWESOME TAP MUMMY when i saw it live.

RogueSwan
30th March 2010, 08:56 AM
I know its only round 1 but i thought big Mumford and Seaby were great on Sat night, Seaby started off well and did not look slow like i thought he would considering all his football was in the WAFL in 09...

I am pretty sure it has been said before on here. I think Seaby was in the WAFL because the Weagles knew he didn't want to play for them anymore, so they figured they may as well put games into a ruckman that was going to hang around.
I was never concerned that he wasn't AFL standard.

goswannie14
30th March 2010, 09:09 AM
How was the Mumford tap to O'Keefe in the last quarter? ROK bloody missed the shot which was very gettable but i remember shouting out AWESOME TAP MUMMY when i saw it live.It was exactly the same tap as the Nick Davis goal in 05 and the tap to Monty that won us the GF. Obviously Ball is still around the club.

liz
30th March 2010, 10:17 AM
It was exactly the same tap as the Nick Davis goal in 05 and the tap to Monty that won us the GF. Obviously Ball is still around the club.

He probably is - at least in board capacity. But Steve Taubert is more likely to be the link.

liz
30th March 2010, 10:18 AM
I am pretty sure it has been said before on here. I think Seaby was in the WAFL because the Weagles knew he didn't want to play for them anymore, so they figured they may as well put games into a ruckman that was going to hang around.
I was never concerned that he wasn't AFL standard.

That is a bit circular really. All Seaby's comments indicate he just wanted to play AFL footy - and wanted to leave the Eagles because they weren't giving him that opportunity.

Primmy
30th March 2010, 11:10 AM
I agree with you Liz - any of the boys who come within Steve Taubets Orbit seem to improve expidentially. Add to that their previous experience and a certain degree of talent and belief then we are doing ok, and so are they. What I saw of MikePyke during ressies on Sat showed how much he has travelled too. All in all I think our stocks are healthy, and I do believe the boys will be the happier knowing they can ruck and push up as well thereby having a far greater contribution overall. Its all good, as they say.

mcs
30th March 2010, 08:20 PM
I was very impressed by them on Saturday night. I was worried we would really miss Jolly, but so far so good!

On the subject of Jolly, just how good unfortunately will the Ferals play when he finds his feet. He was awful against the Dogs imo, once he gets going look out I'm afraid.

SimonH
30th March 2010, 08:44 PM
Seaby solid, workmanlike, nothing remarkable, but we'll be happy if he fronts up like that all year.

Mumford has a huge upside. He looks far more assured with a footy in his hands than any AFL ruckman at his experience level has a right to. If he can keep improving his fitness without succumbing to injuries, then Geelong could be really, really cursing that they let him slip, for many years to come. (With Geelong's salary cap position and the huge amount of cap space that fell into our laps in the course of 2009, I don't doubt that they had no reasonable chance of keeping him once we'd put together an offer-- they would've been unable to put any counter-offer of even remotely similar quantum.) Very smart sharking, Swans' recruiters.

royboy42
30th March 2010, 08:45 PM
Maybe exponentially prim?? I'm unsure what you meant (and I'm not having a shot..i respect you far too much for that) I assume you meant 'in leaps and bounds'? or am I just a dope and your word is right?
I agree with you Liz - any of the boys who come within Steve Taubets Orbit seem to improve expidentially. Add to that their previous experience and a certain degree of talent and belief then we are doing ok, and so are they. What I saw of MikePyke during ressies on Sat showed how much he has travelled too. All in all I think our stocks are healthy, and I do believe the boys will be the happier knowing they can ruck and push up as well thereby having a far greater contribution overall. Its all good, as they say.

Reggi
30th March 2010, 08:51 PM
I though Seaby was very good, 25% of Mumford's taps were too advantage, in the future ROK will snaffle many. Seaby was good around the ground, but it looked like a very competitive combo

Robert Walls is probably right that Mumford could lose a few Kilos. I think we would all be happy with Seaby, 36 tap outs is ipressive, and he is reasonable around the ground

Both of these guys best footy is ahead of them (clap)

dimelb
30th March 2010, 08:55 PM
Maybe exponentially prim?? I'm unsure what you meant (and I'm not having a shot..i respect you far too much for that) I assume you meant 'in leaps and bounds'? or am I just a dope and your word is right?
I really like the idea of our ruckmen improving in leaps and bounds. :D

chalbilto
30th March 2010, 09:22 PM
I though Seaby was very good, 25% of Mumford's taps were too advantage, in the future ROK will snaffle many. Seaby was good around the ground, but it looked like a very competitive combo

Robert Walls is probably right that Mumford could lose a few Kilos. I think we would all be happy with Seaby, 36 tap outs is ipressive, and he is reasonable around the ground

Both of these guys best footy is ahead of them (clap)

Do you really think so? He is a massive unit and his official stats state that he is 105 kgs the same as Jesse White. You may be right but I not really sure about Robert Walls assessment. One things for sure Walls he doesn't have to give his stock standard comment that he should have a go in trhe ruck to get into the game.

Reggi
30th March 2010, 09:33 PM
Do you really think so? .

Ruckmen need mobility these days, he needs to get around the ground, surely that would be easier if he were 4Kgs lighter. He needs to get around the ground. Seaby looks fitter and seems to get around the ground a lot better

Seaby looks (and sounds like) he has worked hard on his fitness, and is reaping rewards. So from photos, I think he would be better lighter

He is our second ruckman, looking forward to seeing Nic Natanui's face when he is looking down at a 105Kg boilermaker from Bunyip.......

goswannie14
31st March 2010, 07:21 AM
Do you really think so? He is a massive unit and his official stats state that he is 105 kgs the same as Jesse White. You may be right but I not really sure about Robert Walls assessment. One things for sure Walls he doesn't have to give his stock standard comment that he should have a go in trhe ruck to get into the game.In defence of Walls (okay, shoot me now) I thought his comment was that Mumford had lost weight, not that he needed to.

RogueSwan
31st March 2010, 07:49 AM
He is our second ruckman, looking forward to seeing Nic Natanui's face when he is looking down at a 105Kg boilermaker from Bunyip.......

Hopefully he is not looking down at him, rather, looking up.

giant
31st March 2010, 08:04 AM
Could be a strength for us this weekend. Griffin was very ordinary against Freo, even allowing for the fact he was up against Sandilands. The Crows could bring Maric in but he is still pretty inexperienced himself.

And if they don't bring in Maric, apparently that means the dangerous forward Tippert ends in the ruck. Win-win either way!

Very impressed by this combo - Mummy got better as the night wore on. Maybe a different story vs the Ryders & NicNats of the world but a very promising start.

T-bag
31st March 2010, 10:07 AM
RogueSwan my mail in the West has you at spot on

Primmy
31st March 2010, 02:11 PM
RoyBoy, never assume that I can spell the word in I have summoned up my head. I may want to say one word, and another one comes out, not necessarily in English. But I like Leaps and Bounds; perhaps we could name our new ruckman that. Leaps and Bounds !

Primmy
31st March 2010, 02:13 PM
He is a big big unit, and lost something like 25K to get to where he is now. I like him THIS way.

Hartijon
31st March 2010, 02:59 PM
While some people are praising the efforts of McGlynne and Kennedy at their previous club,the fact is their club let them go without a whimper! That says more than anything else. Mumford on the other hand was treated as a terrible loss by the Cats who tried to keep him but just could not. That says more than anything else as well!

ShockOfHair
31st March 2010, 04:05 PM
What's the Orreal situation? Haven't heard anyone mention him for months. He's had this back injury for weeks now, still listed as "soreness".
Sydney Swans Injury List - Official AFL website of the Sydney Swans football club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/injury%20list/tabid/11505/default.aspx)

Has his time passed with Crusher and Pyke ahead of him, or is too many young ruckmen not nearly enough?

Jesse Richards
2nd April 2010, 11:58 AM
I was happy to see Jolly go - thought he was overrated. Won so many taps with so many of them going to the opposition. We also need ruckmen who are agile and, while resting up forward, can still get the ball and kick goals and tackle and be fit enough and willing to give it his all. Looks like Seaby is not a one trick pony, and with Mumford pulling his weight, we will be better served than last year. With our depth of ruckmen, a dual performing ruckman forward may emerge this year or next. Currie? I think Malthouse will expect Jolly to work consistently harder than he has been doing, and that may be difficult for him.

liz
2nd April 2010, 01:53 PM
I was happy to see Jolly go - thought he was overrated. Won so many taps with so many of them going to the opposition. We also need ruckmen who are agile and, while resting up forward, can still get the ball and kick goals and tackle and be fit enough and willing to give it his all. Looks like Seaby is not a one trick pony, and with Mumford pulling his weight, we will be better served than last year. With our depth of ruckmen, a dual performing ruckman forward may emerge this year or next. Currie? I think Malthouse will expect Jolly to work consistently harder than he has been doing, and that may be difficult for him.

Bit harsh on Jolly IMO. He is no Dean Cox but he was mobile enough, carried the brunt of the ruckwork for us alone last year (and arguably 2008 as well), improved each year he was on our list, and was a more than handy contributor on the scoreboard.

That said, his decision to leave has delivered us a player who looks to have serious x-factor, plus some highly focussed trading means that our overall ruck brigade has arguably been strengthened, especially when you take into the account the relative age of Jolly versus the recruits.

Jewels
2nd April 2010, 05:12 PM
I was one that was really dirty on Jolly for going, but time (plus wonderful trading and recruiting) have softened my stance.
My thoughts now are more on the logical side and probably more in line with what Roos and the recruiting teams thought when it all went down. I believe we would have been in a hell of a mess if Jolly had seen out his contract and then requested a trade back to Melbourne. Only heaven knows what would have been available in ruck stocks and with the GC/GWS concessions in place, we would never have gotten a player of Jettas quality for the draft pick.
We've done wonderfully well with both Seaby and Mumford not only for this season but for many to come.

Triple B
2nd April 2010, 05:40 PM
I don't think Jolly was overated at all. In fact, I think he may have been underated because he was out of the limelight somewhat in Sydney.

That said, we have done wonderfully well out of the whole business. It appeared that Seaby was going to be chased anyway, but Jolly forced our hand to chase (and catch) Mumford and of course we managed to get an extra first rounder which from early indications would appear to have proven a winner.

goswannies
4th April 2010, 09:06 PM
today at AAMI, Mummy reminded me a little of Pykey. Huge unit, agile and quick (relatively), handy taps in the ruck, but always seemed to dispose by hand (although big Mike used his foot a little really late in the season and I thought not too badly - and more or Mummys were wide today). Mummy looked less like a deer stunned by head-lights than Mike often does though.

Reggi
4th April 2010, 09:23 PM
First all credit to Seaby, he has clearly worked hard and become A very competitive ruckman, a dangerous forward option. Mumford is still raw I eco my earlier comments on him, will come under pressure from Currie over the course of the year. Think he has a few more years development before he reaches his potential

Seaby is clearly No 1. When he wrapped up that German on the boundary line, you knew he wants to be a top flight player, the Swans way :)

CJK
4th April 2010, 10:59 PM
Have become a big Seaby fan in the last 2 weeks.

ugg
4th April 2010, 11:16 PM
First all credit to Seaby, he has clearly worked hard and become A very competitive ruckman, a dangerous forward option. Mumford is still raw I eco my earlier comments on him, will come under pressure from Currie over the course of the year. Think he has a few more years development before he reaches his potential

Seaby is clearly No 1. When he wrapped up that German on the boundary line, you knew he wants to be a top flight player, the Swans way :)

Seaby is no 1 but when Mumford came on I don't think we lost much as compared to last year when Jolly was off and White/Pyke/LRT/fill-in was on. Mumford in fact started the second half today.

Robbo
4th April 2010, 11:29 PM
Gee the weagles must be regretting giving away big Seabs. Cox is looking like he is over the hill and there are still big question marks over Naitanui

ugg
5th April 2010, 12:08 AM
Gee the weagles must be regretting giving away big Seabs. Cox is looking like he is over the hill and there are still big question marks over Naitanui
They conciously made the decision last year to give NicNat as much time as possible at the expense of Seaby.

BTW, did you watch last night's game? :confused:

Jewels
5th April 2010, 12:14 AM

You'd also have to wonder what Malthouse might be thinking when you consider what they gave up for Jolly as opposed to how cheaply we got Seaby and the return (so far) of the two.

Robbo
5th April 2010, 12:18 AM
I did watch last nights game ugg. Naita flashes in and out but I still haven't seen him play 4 quarters of good consistent footy.

ugg
5th April 2010, 12:39 AM
He's a 2nd year ruckman - he's doing as well as you can expect. I'd wager that the current premium rucks of the competition were no where near where he is at the moment.

Triple B
5th April 2010, 08:49 AM

I'd say Cox just needs to get over his injuries, not over the hill.

And the only question over NicNat is just how good he is.

Seriously, I'm very happy with Seabs' output so far, but I'd give him back for Cox or NicNat in a heartbeat.

Reggi
11th April 2010, 01:56 PM
Interesting that against Rich, they look like they have rotated ruck duties, anyway Mumford played his best game very good,amazing to have two fairly even ruckman. Hope Mumford continues to work hard

goswannie14
19th April 2010, 11:53 AM
How good was Mumford on Saturday. I had him in my best 3 Swans. Having seen him live for the first time I have made two observations....He is a man mountain, absolutely huge. Secondly, for someone of his size, his speed and agility are astounding. He seems to lope around until he puts on the afterburners, at which point he can almost run down anyone. The way he follows up his taps and is not afraid to get down into and under a pack was very impressive. Whilst Bradshaw is a great pick up, I am hopeful, in the long term, that Mumford will be our best pick up this year.

BTW, on the nickname stakes, I found myself calling him "Mummy" every time he got the ball.

Jewels
19th April 2010, 12:30 PM
How good was Mumford on Saturday. I had him in my best 3 Swans. Having seen him live for the first time I have made two observations....He is a man mountain, absolutely huge. Secondly, for someone of his size, his speed and agility are astounding. He seems to lope around until he puts on the afterburners, at which point he can almost run down anyone. The way he follows up his taps and is not afraid to get down into and under a pack was very impressive. Whilst Bradshaw is a great pick up, I am hopeful, in the long term, that Mumford will be our best pick up this year.

BTW, on the nickname stakes, I found myself calling him "Mummy" every time he got the ball.

Agree with everything you've said goswannie.
Always have been a Bradshaw fan and to see him prowling the goal square like a jungle cat with a red and white guernsey on is a joy to behold, but big Mummy is the one that took my breath away on Saturday. Every game he is imposing himself more and more, and boy is there a lot of him to impose!!!
I don't know where I read it, but I read somewhere that when Bomber Thompson found out Mummy was on the move, he drove to Bunyip to try and change his mind, after Saturday, I can see why he went to the effort.