PDA

View Full Version : 96 Grand Final

pinoy
31st March 2010, 11:38 AM
I was watching the 96 granny replay last night, well I watched the first quarter and a few things came to mind.

1. I remember back at that time when I was watching it in 96, I was standing for the whole match in my living room
2. What a great game, quick and hard
3. What talented group, I think much more talented than the 2005 team.
4. I still get goose bumps whenever I see Paul Kelly grabbing the ball, running through the pack
5. Plugger was a monster
6. Luffy was a great player, very much underrated in his time.
7. How similar Chapman and Bevan is, hard as nuts and kicking style is similar
8. I forgot Mickey O played in the backline during that time
9. Maxfield was quick, for a guy that size, man how impressive
10. Roosy was a champion, wow what a player he was then, fearless in the backline. You could tell he has molded the current backline in his own image
11. How the game has changed, umpiring then was great, a lot of things were let go and he game was better because of it
12. Without a doubt, Wayne Carey is 10x better in his prime than Gary Ablett jnr is now. If the money was the same back then, I think Gold Coast would give him double what they?re offering junior now.
13. I forgot what a shocking kick Dunkley was

Primmy
31st March 2010, 02:17 PM
Oh pinoy, HOW could you forget what a shocking kick Dunks was. Many the time I have sprouted about watching him miss even the point posts from inside the goal square......but his hands, oh his hands, safest mark around. And Chappy was a beauty wasn't he. Agree with everything here. Important we never forget just how amazing Kell was.

I have never watched a replay of the 96 granny. I remember feeling sick with disappointment. To the guts. No, I'll let that one go through to the keeper.

Hartijon
31st March 2010, 02:55 PM
I was watching the 96 granny replay last night, well I watched the first quarter and a few things came to mind.

1. I remember back at that time when I was watching it in 96, I was standing for the whole match in my living room
2. What a great game, quick and hard
3. What talented group, I think much more talented than the 2005 team.
4. I still get goose bumps whenever I see Paul Kelly grabbing the ball, running through the pack
5. Plugger was a monster
6. Luffy was a great player, very much underrated in his time.
7. How similar Chapman and Bevan is, hard as nuts and kicking style is similar
8. I forgot Mickey O played in the backline during that time
10. Roosy was a champion, wow what a player he was then, fearless in the backline. You could tell he has molded the current backline in his own image
11. How the game has changed, umpiring then was great, a lot of things were let go and he game was better because of it
12. Without a doubt, Wayne Carey is 10x better in his prime than Gary Ablett jnr is now. If the money was the same back then, I think Gold Coast would give him double what they?re offering junior now.
13. I forgot what a shocking kick Dunkley was

I think you will find the umpiring is always good in a GF. I can remember watching it and getting shocked that infringements against Sydney were actually being paid....that means they normally were not. 96 was the one we could have stolen! I don't wanna see it again.that whole business of Kelly passing to Mcbride is too dissappointing to revisit.

ScottH
31st March 2010, 04:04 PM
13. I forgot what a shocking kick Dunkley wasI never forgot that.
But he was pretty accurate in front of goals.

jono2707
31st March 2010, 04:32 PM
Kels was probably the hardest and most inspirational player I've seen, and Roosy was one of the best defenders - geez he always looked so calm with the ball and seemed to be always thinking a little further ahead than anyone else. Champions.

That was a great year although the Kangas were always just a bit classier.

goswannie14
31st March 2010, 04:32 PM
I never forgot that.
But he was pretty accurate in front of goals....when he was kicking away from them.

ScottH
31st March 2010, 04:43 PM
...when he was kicking away from them.

No, he very rarely did that, Cressa/Schwatta/or Stuey did that for him.

sharp9
1st April 2010, 06:37 AM
Umpiring in 2006 GF was senational....14 frees or something and a soft ruckman's goal for the Swannies...Bliss!

Rob-bloods
1st April 2010, 06:50 AM
Just cannot watch that game broke my bloody heart. Memories are the Wayne Carey Balloon not inflating properly at the prematch entertainment (and hoping it was an omen) Scwatta punching Luffy, O'brien getting his cheekbone crunched, Plugger with his problematic groin, nearly getting a match winning lead, and hearing that song what seemed like a hundred times...then giving Cyggy the Swan a lift to the aftermatch cos' him and Greg from Great Big Events couldn't get a taxi and were stuck..seeing the players looking like they were on death row at the (was it) Glasshouse over the road...then a nice dinner at Tolarno Bar with some old old Swannies and vowing we'd come back.

And you know what ...we bloody did.

msb
1st April 2010, 10:28 AM
Why o why would any swans supporter watch that game again? It was a GF and we LOST for petes sake!

laughingnome
1st April 2010, 12:17 PM
No, he very rarely did that, Cressa/Schwatta/or Stuey did that for him.

As said before that was because he had safe, safe hands. A long kick-in invariably went to him or Roos. In case anyone was wondering why it was so.

AnnieH
1st April 2010, 01:06 PM
Shhhhhhhhhh. We don't like to mention the 96 Granny.

I'm still upset.

Vonsteinman
2nd April 2010, 07:26 PM
That was a great year although the Kangas were always just a bit classier.

Do you mean on the day or over the course of the year? They certainly were not classier at Princes Park a few weeks earlier. The Swans gave them an absolute hiding.

On the day I would argue that it wasn't so much about class as fresher legs and bodies. A number of Essendon players ended up in hospital after the Prelim and I just wonder how may Swans would have been there had they lost. Pretty sure Maxie was one who played the GF with a pretty serious injury (ribs??)...

cruiser
2nd April 2010, 08:06 PM
Why o why would any swans supporter watch that game again? It was a GF and we LOST for petes sake! Because you might happen to catch it replayed on Fox Sports. Although, I just cannot bear to watch the second half.

Xie Shan
2nd April 2010, 08:21 PM

I didn't follow the Swans back in '96 but you have to find a copy of our Round 4, 1999 game against the Kangaroos at the SCG - the night we came from 8 goals down to win. It was on 7TWO a while ago in the early hours of the morning and it's sitting on my hard drive - I need to figure out a way of sharing it online - Maxfield was sensational and would have been BOG in that game by a mile. Up there with Roos and Plugger as our best recruits of the 90s. His captaincy in 2003-05, until he got injured, really provided the foundations for our run at the 2005 flag as the club needed a leader after Paul Kelly left at the end of 2002.

Triple B
2nd April 2010, 08:54 PM

I don't understand the 'for a guy that size' statement?

Vonsteinman
2nd April 2010, 09:33 PM
I don't understand the 'for a guy that size' statement?

I took it to mean powerfully built... He was an absolute unit

Triple B
2nd April 2010, 10:19 PM
I took it to mean powerfully built... He was an absolute unit

It appears your definition of 'an absolute unit' differs from mine.