PDA

View Full Version : Ouch (warning Saints Pies potential spoiler)

liz
9th April 2010, 10:00 PM
That looked painful.

Could it change the season?

Lucky Knickers
9th April 2010, 10:05 PM
Glad you posted Liz. Just thinking that exactly. Going to be interesting to see what the forward line looks like in Q3.
Got to feel for the guy. It's been an incredibly entertaining game so far.

cruiser
9th April 2010, 10:35 PM
I wish we were playing St Kilda next weekend. They are getting battered.

goswannie14
9th April 2010, 10:45 PM
I turned it back on when I read the post from Liz. I had turned over as the game was boringly monotonous.

I was hoping to see Reiwoldt cry again.

Lucky Knickers
9th April 2010, 11:28 PM
That performance - real deal - incredible effort. Brutal game and every ball a contest. Jolly doesn't look comfortable in that small guernsey. He had a shocker and generally the pies look wrong footed - STK pressured every possie. i wonder if MM is a goner and Figjam will take over. Joffa must have pulled out the last of his synthetic hair extensions.

cruiser
9th April 2010, 11:43 PM
Extraordinary win by St Kilda. As much as I hate them (yes, even more than Collingwood) even I have to admire the way they played in the 2nd half when they should have been getting trounced.

liz
9th April 2010, 11:45 PM
Definitely new found respect for the Saints after that second half performance. Respected them before as an excellent team but they way they went about things after half-time was incredible. Couldn't happen to a nicer opposition!

And yes, wasn't Jolly insipid for the 3rd week in a row? (Schneids was pretty good though:))

gossipcom
10th April 2010, 12:15 AM
According to Channel Seven he tore his hamstring tendon from the bone. :eek:

Saints win, but Riewoldt hurt - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26964835-5018851,00.html)

liz
10th April 2010, 12:59 AM

Saints win, but Riewoldt hurt - AFL Premiership - Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26964835-5018851,00.html)

It looked like a decent old strain at best, but sounds like Channel 7 trying to be as dramatic as possible. Many commentators seem to have developed a habit of automatically assuming the worst about every injury and more often than not, they're wrong. For the good of the spectator sport, I hope they are wrong in this case. He can be a breathtaking player to watch when he's not playing for soft frees (or playing against us).

Mike_B
10th April 2010, 01:41 AM
Fantastic win for the Saints that you do have to respect, not just losing Riewoldt, but other players being hurt and playing through it, and Fisher returning after being stretchered off.

And yes liz, as much as we like to whinge about St Nick and his treatment from the umps, he is a brilliant player whose workrate is simply phenomenal and like him or not, its not nice to see players suffering long-term injuries, so you have to hope for the sake of the game its a tear and that he hasn't ripped the tendon off the bone...

j s
10th April 2010, 09:15 AM
And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving opponent. Malthouse should be proud of his Buckley coached forward line.

stellation
10th April 2010, 09:33 AM

During the telecast they mentoned that as the worst case possible scenario, they didn't actually say he did it I believe (and they wouldn't have known by then). I thought they went a bit over the top with it, personally. Big story, sure, but they made it sound like the guy had died when for all we know he'll be back in 4 weeks.

stellation
10th April 2010, 09:35 AM
It looked like a decent old strain at best, but sounds like Channel 7 trying to be as dramatic as possible. Many commentators seem to have developed a habit of automatically assuming the worst about every injury and more often than not, they're wrong. For the good of the spectator sport, I hope they are wrong in this case. He can be a breathtaking player to watch when he's not playing for soft frees (or playing against us).

Fantastic win for the Saints that you do have to respect, not just losing Riewoldt, but other players being hurt and playing through it, and Fisher returning after being stretchered off.

And yes liz, as much as we like to whinge about St Nick and his treatment from the umps, he is a brilliant player whose workrate is simply phenomenal and like him or not, its not nice to see players suffering long-term injuries, so you have to hope for the sake of the game its a tear and that he hasn't ripped the tendon off the bone...
Agree with both of you that he's a wonderful player. We were both pretty deflated watching it, honestly verging on the dissapointment we would have from a Swans player getting injured. As much fun as it can be to give him shtick, we're bit fans of him in our house and think it's worth watching a game just to see him play. Hopefully he's back up and running again soon.

What did people think of Mick and Lica's quarter time tirade to Milne?

Reggi
10th April 2010, 09:42 AM
I think C/wood are an ordinary team that run very hard. They have run all over us in recent years, seem to have had a dream run with injuries, but as Fraser, O'Bree, Lockyer et al get longer in the tooth I expect they will struggle

It's their fitness that has been their strength. LAst night's radio commentary was implying they do not have any young players pressing for a spot

Recruiting players like Jolly (and Bradshaw) for that matter is risky. He has a premiership, probably no real passion for the footy club and may really just be taking the Brisbane Bears option of somewhere to play out his career. That said he will remain a better option than Fraser. C/wood have not had a 'good' ruckman since Peter Moore

Lose next week to Hawthorn, they will eat themselves

Triple B
10th April 2010, 09:50 AM
If only the Dees could have had the composure to hold on last week. It would be very interesting at Pieland.

Lucky Knickers
10th April 2010, 09:59 AM
What did people think of Mick and Lica's quarter time tirade to Milne?
I thought it showed a lack of class and was surprised by MM. Licuria has always been a massive big ball of emotion. Milne clearly won the day getting under their skin. How can you react like that then go up into your coaches box and dissect the opposition without emotion?
Very odd. What was Didak's role?
As for Jolly, insipid was a great word. After giving away free kicks for holding King in the ruck, I couldn't understand why he kept doing it and didn't play in front.
I couldn't get over how bloody insipid the pies were generally in the second half. They pulled out of contests. Lockyer tried hard to get some run but his disposal was awful.
Hats off to Lyon - that team are super disciplined. Whilst I love teasing Kleenex, I hope it's not too serious and he is back soon.

Kirkari
10th April 2010, 10:47 AM
...I thought they went a bit over the top with it, personally. Big story, sure, but they made it sound like the guy had died when for all we know he'll be back in 4 weeks.

I only watched the second half, and the speculation about whether him being on the bench was good or bad was tedious. It WAS a bit like he'd died and the body was left on the sideline. I'm sure that team knows each other well enough to know best, and who cares anyway??

Any teams kidding themselves that all they'd have to do to beat St Kilda was neutralise St Nick will have to think again. They look "well 'ard".

I tipped the Pies but still couldn't cheer for them - they were nowhere anyway in the half I watched, except the occasionaly niggle and infringement - watch Jolly hold his opponent instead of attack the ball was very sad - he couldn't even put much conviction into his amateur theatrics in protest.

Missed the quarter time incident, which is sad because I LOVE seeing MM lose his mind.

goswannie14
10th April 2010, 10:50 AM
Missed the quarter time incident, which is sad because I LOVE seeing MM lose his mind.
That happened years ago!

AnnieH
10th April 2010, 10:55 AM
Sheesh. What a game. Ainters coming back in that last quarter was brilliant.

Had the pies kicked true, they would have won by 200. Someone say Buckley is their forward coach??? Every kick came off the side of their boots - he'd better start telling them to maybe kick from around the toe area. I'd be very, very surprised if Mick Maltmouth lets go of the helm at the end of the year.

Maltmouth should get into trouble for approaching a player on the other side. (How do we know there's no collusion involved?) Lyons wasn't too happy with it, and when they interviewed him he said that he had bigger things to worry about right now, but would look into it during the week. Unbelievable!!! Isn't there a rule about this type of thing happening, or is Maltmouth groundbreaking??

Glenn
10th April 2010, 11:24 AM
Not to wish injury on any player, but will be interesting to see the treatment the Aints get from the Umps now that the protected species is possibly out for a month or more.

Bas
10th April 2010, 11:47 AM
This could be the year when we finally beat the knuckledragging pies.

I dropped Jolly from my Dream Team etc after Rd 2. Replaced with Seaby. Wise choice I think. His wife must have grown 3 metres since moving home.

I watched most of the game on fast forward as I got home at midnight after seeing Rodger Hodgson (ex Supertramp) and 10CC perform at Enmore. 10CC were the support and got a standing ovation, what a great night. Newcastle Liberty Theatre tomorrow night for conert No2. Can't wait. I'd go again tonight except for the Swans game.

goswannie14
10th April 2010, 11:48 AM
Maltmouth should get into trouble for approaching a player on the other side. (How do we know there's no collusion involved?) Lyons wasn't too happy with it, and when they interviewed him he said that he had bigger things to worry about right now, but would look into it during the week. Unbelievable!!! Isn't there a rule about this type of thing happening, or is Maltmouth groundbreaking??Sheeds got into trouble a few years ago and he didn't come within 20 metres of the guy he was abusing.

ScottH
10th April 2010, 01:06 PM
Extraordinary win by St Kilda. As much as I hate them (yes, even more than Collingwood) even I have to admire the way they played in the 2nd half when they should have been getting trounced.

Definitely new found respect for the Saints after that second half performance. Respected them before as an excellent team but they way they went about things after half-time was incredible. Couldn't happen to a nicer opposition!

And yes, wasn't Jolly insipid for the 3rd week in a row? (Schneids was pretty good though:))

And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving opponent. Malthouse should be proud of his Buckley coached forward line.

Can't quote everyone. What a great match. Outstanding to see such a great team kicked by a last man standing side.
And poor old Lenny was still better than most of the pies, with his nose on the other side of his face.

Awesome effort!!!

Jesse Richards
10th April 2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Kirkari;478627]... It WAS a bit like he'd died and the body was left on the sideline.

Thanks for the laugh, Kirkari. It was indeed.

Started watching the game to see what tactics St K would use... ended up watching the whole game, riveted. Inspiring stuff indeed. It bodes well for us that a team we almost beat trounced the Pies with so few interchanges. No interchange for the backline in the last quarter. Tough. Disciplined. Courageous. Kept coming. Extraordinary football. A tribute to Ross Lyons. Never thought I would praise St K like this, ever.

Thunder Shaker
10th April 2010, 02:57 PM
Malthouse is not happy with the effort by the forwards. Love the headline, too: Malthouse wants Pies more offensive (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/10/2869247.htm). (What? They're not offensive enough already?)

dimelb
10th April 2010, 05:22 PM
Can't quote everyone. What a great match. Outstanding to see such a great team kicked by a last man standing side.
And poor old Lenny was still better than most of the pies, with his nose on the other side of his face.

Awesome effort!!!
By the end of the match he looked like Voldemort.
And yes, truly outstanding football, especially the G's - Gram, Gardiner, Goddard and Gwilt.

ScottH
10th April 2010, 05:24 PM
Just watched the last 3 qtrs again at a friends place. Still enjoyed it!!

Trickster
10th April 2010, 05:57 PM
Nick Riewoldt's Hamstring Injury Serious (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/riewoldts-hamstring-injury-serious-20100410-rzhx.html)

Looks likw the faints are Nickless for at least two months

stellation
11th April 2010, 01:12 AM
Sheeds got into trouble a few years ago and he didn't come within 20 metres of the guy he was abusing.
He did make a throat slitting gesture, though.

ScottH
11th April 2010, 12:33 PM
He did make a throat slitting gesture, though.

At Gehrig. Who wouldn't?

Triple B
11th April 2010, 01:42 PM
At Gehrig. Who wouldn't?

Pretty sure it was directed at Mitchell White.

That said, I agree with your comment .. lol

ScottH
11th April 2010, 04:55 PM
Pretty sure it was directed at Mitchell White.

That said, I agree with your comment .. lol

Really, you're probably right.