PDA

View Full Version : The three and a half minutes that...

RogueSwan
20th April 2010, 10:42 PM
...changed the game

It is not looking good. Daniel Wells is threatening to take over the game. Goodes is breaking the lines but Wells is actually scoring. It the couple of minutes preceding this he had kicked two goals, one behinds. Roos 57 ? Swans 50.

12min 46sec ? At the re-start Kennedy pushes of his man and Seaby palms it perfectly down his throat. Kennedy then bombs towards White on CHF. White has to beat two and ROK is there for the crumbs. ROK hb?s to Moore who puts it right out in front of Bradshaw who marks on a very tight angle. Bradshaw reminds us of his superb goal kicking ability; the goal was never in doubt once it left his boot. Roos 57 ? Swans 56

11min 15sec ? Moore wins a holding the ball, pretty much in the centre of the ground, Moore spots Kirk all by himself on the eastern side of the centre square. Now, we all know how flat and clean the Kirk kicking action is but this time it is let down by getting one of the balls that hasn?t been ?kicked-in?, and the ball goes out of bounds. The resulting throw-in sees Kirk ride Swallow into the ground, but because it was already out another throw-in is called. 10min27sec ? the next throw in sees B1 get his hands on the ball a dribble a kick out, Kangaroos swarm but it is Hanners who picks up the ball cleanly, takes to steps and snaps around his body, on a pretty tight angle, and kicks an exceptional goal. How good could this kid be? Roos 57 ? Swans 62

10min07sec ? Shaw: they?re the two issues for the Swans, White and Kennedy, they just need to have a bigger impact on the game. That comment seems somewhat prophetic considering the next big play.
09min 57sec ? ball up the Swans F50, Seaby feeds out the from ground level, Mc Veigh pounces but is only able to shuffle the ball to elegant hands of Jetstar. Jetstar shoots a smooth hb to Shaw who winds up on his right. The kick is a high one, count; one thousand and one, one thousand two, one thousand and ?IT?S JESSE WHITE WITH A BIG HANGER, AWWWWWWW WHAT A GRAB? Roos 57 ? Swans 68.

The Kangaroos failed to kick another goal for the match and the swans will kick another 4 goals and whopping 8 behinds!

Disclaimer:
I am still unsure why I posted this. It started out when I trying to follow just Hanners but I started taking extra notes and then realised that in a short amount of time Wells was subdued and the Swans ignited.
I thought I would post it here because some people like to know the times certain things happened and this may help. Other than that it offers no insight or information not already available, hey does that mean I could become a professional football journalist?

giant
21st April 2010, 12:05 AM
If you were a disillusioned Norf supporter you might suggest the 2 mins that changed the game were Wells breaking brilliantly away from Mattner, bouncing 2/3 times - and then pushing his shot wide.

From the kick-out, Goodes brilliantly breaks a couple of tackles, passes on to Mal who somehow gets it over to Wells' man, Mattner, who (while impersonating Reg) runs the length of the ground to score a goal.

Wells must be a frustrating kid to have in your side sometimes.

dimelb
21st April 2010, 12:06 AM
And a one ... and a two ... and a THREE!
Two nice intros and a fantastic punchline - why wouldn't you post it?

lwoggardner
21st April 2010, 12:58 AM
That's what I love about this game, the momentum shift. Even watching on TV you can feel it.

Commentators talking about North's lift in intensity, Swans hanging on - C'mon Swannies string a few together - then bang, bang, bang topped off with White's grab.

Great post!

liz
21st April 2010, 01:14 AM
Think it is also worth noting that at the start of the second half, Mattner went to mind Wells. (It might have happened late in the first half - can't remember - but Wells had a variety of opponents during that first half.) Wells did get away from Mattner for that run and bounce and miss (to which Mattner responded with a run bounce run bounce run bounce and GOAL!) But it was during the short period that Mattner was hobbling off the ground with a rolled ankle that Wells actually scored his two goals that threatened to give North control of the game. I am pretty sure Mattner went back onto Wells when he returned to the ground and Wells was barely sighted after that.

I thought Wells game as a whole was good, rather than great, but he and Harvey were the only two Roos who ever really looked like breaking the game open for North. With Jack tightening up on Harvey in the second half and Mattner quietening Wells down while he was on the ground, the Swans playmakers were able to pretty much take control of the game.

BSA5
21st April 2010, 01:45 AM
Think it is also worth noting that at the start of the second half, Mattner went to mind Wells. (It might have happened late in the first half - can't remember - but Wells had a variety of opponents during that first half.) Wells did get away from Mattner for that run and bounce and miss (to which Mattner responded with a run bounce run bounce run bounce and GOAL!) But it was during the short period that Mattner was hobbling off the ground with a rolled ankle that Wells actually scored his two goals that threatened to give North control of the game. I am pretty sure Mattner went back onto Wells when he returned to the ground and Wells was barely sighted after that.

I thought Wells game as a whole was good, rather than great, but he and Harvey were the only two Roos who ever really looked like breaking the game open for North. With Jack tightening up on Harvey in the second half and Mattner quietening Wells down while he was on the ground, the Swans playmakers were able to pretty much take control of the game.

You're quite right, Mattner was very, very good on Wells, and it was when the job was left to Malceski (who, though we love him, had a dog of a day) that Wells really lit up. Mattner has had an up and down start to the season, but he was a very important contributor on Saturday.

ScottH
21st April 2010, 08:40 AM
The only bit I disagree with Rogue was Hanners shot. Wasn't that tigh an angle. would've been 45 degree.
But still a great snap.

hot potato
21st April 2010, 09:20 PM
Do a match day summary or two ROGUE MAN, you've got the smarts !!

HP

Bas
21st April 2010, 10:00 PM
That's what I love about this game, the momentum shift. Even watching on TV you can feel it.
!

As long as it's us changing the momentum.