PDA

View Full Version : Smith keeps plugging away and finally finds a slot

Reggi
23rd April 2010, 09:10 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/smith-keeps-plugging-away-and-finally-finds-a-slot-20100422-tg0g.html

Good to see him get a gig. Good to see an article about something interesting (The Storm thing is already boring IMHO). I don't care that much

aardvark
23rd April 2010, 12:07 PM
Roosy makes a good point about Nic Nat only doing the things Goodsy did as a ruckman years ago. I wondeer how many Brownlows Nic will win?

Matty10
23rd April 2010, 12:26 PM
Well done to Smith for being the best of the rest. I hope he has great form during McGlynn's time away injured so that there is real pressure to keep him in the side (and they therefore don't rush anyone back).

I worry about MOD though - he just doesn't get a mention.

Kirkari
23rd April 2010, 12:29 PM
Really happy for Nick Smith and excited to see him get a run.

Love Roosy's attitude to NicNat. Just focus on the players you know enough about to play on effectively, and be ready for anything from the unknown. Better than shutting down the new guy and letting all the veterans score at will - which may be the trap that the Swans set with Jesse White.

Go Swannies
23rd April 2010, 12:32 PM
Really happy for Nick Smith and excited to see him get a run.

Love Roosy's attitude to NicNat. Just focus on the players you know enough about to play on effectively, and be ready for anything from the unknown. Better than shutting down the new guy and letting all the veterans score at will - which may be the trap that the Swans set with Jesse White.

Remember the steamroller scene in "A Fish Called Wanda" - I hope that's what Roosy really has planned for Nic Nat on the opening bounce, except now it will be "Revenge of the Mummy"?

swansrob
23rd April 2010, 12:37 PM

Perhaps not in that article, but he had a dedicated article on the Swans website posted only on Wednesday

O'Dwyer gains confidence - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/92758/default.aspx)

hammo
23rd April 2010, 01:08 PM
Roos has talked more about NicNat than almost any other opposition player we've come up against over the years. The cynic in me thinks it's a marketing tool to generate interest and get a big crowd along.

Matty10
23rd April 2010, 01:27 PM
Perhaps not in that article, but he had a dedicated article on the Swans website posted only on Wednesday[/url]

Thanks - I didn't see that article.

Although my concern was more about Roos not mentioning the performance of MOD and possible selection. That link suggests that MOD is in the running, but the last comments I had seen or heard by the coach Paul Roos that featured MOD suggested that he was not performing to instruction and had things to work on (IIRC), which was a while ago now.

Xie Shan
24th April 2010, 01:32 AM
Roos has talked more about NicNat than almost any other opposition player we've come up against over the years. The cynic in me thinks it's a marketing tool to generate interest and get a big crowd along.

Remember he did the same with Buddy before the Round 2 game against the Hawks last year!

With NicNat some of the hype is justified, he's bigger than Goodes is but just as (if not more!) athletic. He's going to be a great player. I'm glad his family moved to Perth - imagine if he'd grown up in Penrith and played NRL, what a waste! (Not bagging rugby league, but his talents are more suited to AFL). I often think Lote Tuqiri would have made a great AFL player too - some athletes just have that ability to pick up more than one sport, like Goodes with his soccer background and Jesse with basketball.

DST
24th April 2010, 12:07 PM
Well done to Smith for being the best of the rest. I hope he has great form during McGlynn's time away injured so that there is real pressure to keep him in the side (and they therefore don't rush anyone back).

MOD has good pace and stamania to play alot of senior footy, however his disposal by foot means that he is on the fringes of selection and may end up not playing that much senior football at all.

Sad, but football is a ruthless game and with the current mass zone that is being employed between the 50 meter arc's, if you can't dispose of the football well or make the correct decision then you won't get a game.

DST