PDA

View Full Version : Honourable Losses

swans_premiers
25th April 2010, 02:11 AM
Are @@@@ing bull@@@@.

We need to beat the likes of Brisbane, Geelong, Bulldogs etc in the next few weeks and I for one will NOT be happy with an "honourable" close loss, we had them last year. This year we're in it to win it.

Close enough will not be good enough.

bring em on...

alison.z
25th April 2010, 03:01 AM
Yes! I can be partially satisfied if we play a great game and are just beaten by a better side but if it makes no different on the scoreboard or the ladder then it's hard to be happy when it all comes down to pretty much nothing. The thing is that i think the Swans have the belief and the skills to compete and win these games so that's what i expect!!

sharp9
26th April 2010, 08:29 AM
And when, oh when will the commentators STOP saying that Sydney never give up and are always a chance? The facts are that I cannot recall a SINGLE game where we have come back from 4 goals down AND WON since those 2 memorable games against Geelong and Brisbane in 2005....anyone? What the commentators forget about those amazing comebacks (like in the 2006 GF another Weagles final....Bulldogs, Saints, Geelong last year) is that we LOST ALL THOSE GAMES.

Fact...if the Swans are 20 points down....Game Over since 2005!

Anyone correct me?:eek:

Dalai Lama
26th April 2010, 09:01 AM
We need to beat the custard pies - twice this year!

ernie koala
26th April 2010, 10:43 AM
And when, oh when will the commentators STOP saying that Sydney never give up and are always a chance? The facts are that I cannot recall a SINGLE game where we have come back from 4 goals down AND WON since those 2 memorable games against Geelong and Brisbane in 2005....anyone? What the commentators forget about those amazing comebacks (like in the 2006 GF another Weagles final....Bulldogs, Saints, Geelong last year) is that we LOST ALL THOSE GAMES.

Fact...if the Swans are 20 points down....Game Over since 2005!

Anyone correct me?:eek:

Agreed, too many close losses of late.....and way too much lazy, cliched filled, ignorant commentary.

Go Swannies
26th April 2010, 11:13 AM
I think both Roos and Goodes are trying to redress that. Both have stated that there's no such thing as an honourable loss and it's all about winning. We are playing good footy but we're going to have to tighten up both our turnovers and goal kicking to get wins against the teams we play over the next month. As Freo showed yesterday, it's only teams like the Tigers you can beat while kicking 18 behinds (well, 36 if you include the Tigers on the ground, too).

hot potato
26th April 2010, 01:05 PM
We are a pretty good chance to win three out of the next five, anything above that , realistically would be a happy bonus.

hp

rojo
26th April 2010, 01:07 PM
I think both Roos and Goodes are trying to redress that. Both have stated that there's no such thing as an honourable loss and it's all about winning. We are playing good footy but we're going to have to tighten up both our turnovers and goal kicking to get wins against the teams we play over the next month. As Freo showed yesterday, it's only teams like the Tigers you can beat while kicking 18 behinds (well, 36 if you include the Tigers on the ground, too).

:D

Yeah, I agree with all the above. It seems like there is a commentator's manual that they all read before each match with a few phrases about the Swans . It is so irritating to hear different ones make exactly the same stale comments, week after week, year after year. Even more irritating than the fatuous ones that are based on the myths or their own making, not fact. That's my rant for the week!

rojo
26th April 2010, 01:13 PM

:D
Yeah, I agree with all the above. It seems like there is a commentator's manual that they all read before each match with a few phrases about the Swans . It is so irritating to hear different ones make exactly the same stale comments, week after week, year after year. Even more irritating than the fatuous ones that are based on the myths or their own making, not fact. That's my rant for the week!

sharp9
26th April 2010, 06:29 PM
When other teams have 18 players in their defensive fifty it will be remarked upon (as an interesting fact to take note of) when the Swans do it we get "Swans flooding back in great numbers...trying to force a stoppage....gee the Swans love stoppages....they are the absolute masters...." They continue this crap even when we are getting spanked in the clearances"
Sheesh!!!

dimelb
26th April 2010, 06:53 PM
Are @@@@ing bull@@@@.

We need to beat the likes of Brisbane, Geelong, Bulldogs etc in the next few weeks and I for one will NOT be happy with an "honourable" close loss, we had them last year. This year we're in it to win it.

Close enough will not be good enough.

bring em on...
Just back from the Carlton-Geelong game. Great to watch, Carlton's midfield was outstanding, their defence and forward line was good. Geelong didn't seem to have a forward line and Hawkins especially may as well not have been there; how they must be regretting Mummy. We can beat both of these teams, but on today's showing, Carlton will be tougher.