PDA

View Full Version : How we?re travelling at the moment...

Cheer Squad
26th April 2010, 07:27 PM
A lot of people are saying our match this Saturday will be the first real test of where we're at, and that the Lions will be on the rebound. It certainly won't be easy.

But Brisbane's unexpectedly heavy loss to Melbourne last week has somewhat changed the dynamics of the situation. Losing by 50 points is never a good sign.

So far, we've been consistent this year, with even performances across all four quarters. That is the sign of a balanced team. And we can certainly cover the loss of Craig Bolton.

I think we will win this match reasonably comfortably, regardless of whether Brown and Merrett line up.

Our first real test will come the following week against the Cats at Skilled Stadium.

BSA5
26th April 2010, 07:50 PM
I think the Saints', Brisbane's and Geelong's losses this weekend put our form into perspective. These are two teams who are meant to be contenders who lost to teams they shouldn't have. While we've arguably played no better opposition than Melbourne and Carlton yet (aside from the Saints, obviously), what's important is that we did the job, without fail, and never looked like giving up the points at any stage. If we'd played Carlton today, we would not have lost. Geelong and the Saints have really come back to the pack. There are no absolute front-runners this year, just some better teams, some worse teams, but all of which can lose to any other team on any given day. At least, that's how it's shaping up so far. And with the footy we're playing, we deserve to be right up the top at the moment.

Bas
26th April 2010, 08:06 PM
Bit like the man who fell off a 50 storey building.

As he passed each floor, people could hear him yell out - "So far so good".

Roll out the one week at a time cliches etc but if we stay relatively injury free then there is a great chance of September action.

Did some really dumb things last week like hand passing to a heavily marked man whilst in our own 50. If we play like that we will get flogged.

I imagine the Swans coaching team will be watching replays of the upsets this week. Especially today's game with the Cats.

sharp9
26th April 2010, 08:11 PM
I knew a guy who fell fifty floors and lived! Hitting the pavement caused a little problem, though.

BSA5
26th April 2010, 08:26 PM
I knew a guy who fell fifty floors and lived! Hitting the pavement caused a little problem, though.

It's not the fall that kills you. It's the rapid negative acceleration when you reach the ground that does it.

hot potato
26th April 2010, 11:00 PM
i think the saints', brisbane's and geelong's losses this weekend put our form into perspective. These are two teams who are meant to be contenders who lost to teams they shouldn't have. While we've arguably played no better opposition than melbourne and carlton yet (aside from the saints, obviously), what's important is that we did the job, without fail, and never looked like giving up the points at any stage. if we'd played carlton today, we would not have lost. geelong and the saints have really come back to the pack. There are no absolute front-runners this year, just some better teams, some worse teams, but all of which can lose to any other team on any given day. At least, that's how it's shaping up so far. And with the footy we're playing, we deserve to be right up the top at the moment.

what game were you watching, carlton would have beaten any one today, they were hot.

Hp

DST
26th April 2010, 11:09 PM
The way Voss has had Brisbane so far this year, them on the rebound will be a real stern test.

However with Merrett out and Brown struggling with a groin/stomach issue and with them being on the road for a second week, we may have struck them at a good time.

Geelong after the bye this week against Richmond may also be a good time to get them as well. Not after a loss.

BSA5
26th April 2010, 11:30 PM
what game were you watching, carlton would have beaten any one today, they were hot.

Hp

They were good, but Geelong were rubbish. Overpossessed the ball, backs looked uninterested, and they couldn't hide Hawkins, who Carlton ran off easier than a $2 hooker. Not that Geelong is a bad side, but they were just so far off their game it's not funny.

T-bag
26th April 2010, 11:55 PM
A lot of people are saying our match this Saturday will be the first real test of where we're at, and that the Lions will be on the rebound. It certainly won't be easy.

But Brisbane's unexpectedly heavy loss to Melbourne last week has somewhat changed the dynamics of the situation. Losing by 50 points is never a good sign.

So far, we've been consistent this year, with even performances across all four quarters. That is the sign of a balanced team. And we can certainly cover the loss of Craig Bolton.

I think we will win this match reasonably comfortably, regardless of whether Brown and Merrett line up.

Our first real test will come the following week against the Cats at Skilled Stadium.
It's nice to see that Fev has now payed off his gambling debts.

Dalai Lama
27th April 2010, 09:36 AM
A keen observation may suggest that we can not get any higher on the ladder than we are after round five.

ShockOfHair
27th April 2010, 11:31 AM
I agree with BSA5 that no-one's unbeatable this year.

The Swans are looking pretty good. We may have beaten lowly sides but we really put 'em away. Two years ago we would have won those games by three or four goals. The addition of pace and the sharper kicking skills have made a huge difference. We've now got all the ingredients of a top side - mongrel defence, inside and midfielders, power forwards, small forwards, rucks, on-field leadership, team ethos, coaching smarts. We just need to get consistency.

I had Swans finishing at 6-10 at the start of the year but I'm upgrading my forecast to 4-7.

Lion steak coming up.

andyn
27th April 2010, 12:07 PM
what's everyone's predictions for where we'll be after round 10?

I think/hope we will be 7 & 3. This allows for 2 losses to the cats at Geelong (a tough ask even with the cats playing horrible footy yesterday) and doggies at Manuka (anyone at the same game last year will know my fears for this game). Hopefully we can beat Brisbane at home this week, Freo at home and the Hawks at the MCG.

I think it's a reasonable expectation given the way we've been playing (and the way that others have too).

Flossie
27th April 2010, 02:25 PM
I think we can beat the Lions, maybe not the Cats (but who knows - we might) Hawks I'm pretty confident we can beat, only Freo and the Dogs are a question mark.
what's everyone's predictions for where we'll be after round 10?

I think/hope we will be 7 & 3. This allows for 2 losses to the cats at Geelong (a tough ask even with the cats playing horrible footy yesterday) and doggies at Manuka (anyone at the same game last year will know my fears for this game). Hopefully we can beat Brisbane at home this week, Freo at home and the Hawks at the MCG.

I think it's a reasonable expectation given the way we've been playing (and the way that others have too).

Lucky Knickers
27th April 2010, 06:52 PM
It's nice to see that Fev has now payed off his gambling debts.
Ouch!

Cheer Squad
27th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Geelong after the bye this week against Richmond may also be a good time to get them as well.

I think it's our best chance against them down there for quite a long time.

mcs
27th April 2010, 10:32 PM
At the start of the season if you had of said 6-4 after 10 rounds I would of snapped your hands off. I think that should be a minimum from where we are now. I expect we will lose at Geelong (We never win down there- but we did beat Adelaide in Adelaide this year, so who knows?), and the Dogs will be hard (Though I think we will match up far better this year against them then we have over the previous couple of years), but I do think the other three games we should be very hopeful of victories.

We should beat Freo with it at the SCG and all (even with their good start to the season), and I think we can beat the Hawks (at what will be my 1st footy game at the G!!!). I'd be happy with 6-4, but I feel we have a definite chance to be at least 7-3 after 10 rounds. Whatever we are, I'd hope from here the worst we will be coming into the bye round would be 7-5 (Should beat the Bombers at Home, who knows with Hot and Cold Port at AAMI in round twelve). I'd like to think we could be 8-4 or 9-3, but we will just have to wait and see.

Its so hard to judge where we are truly at due to who we have played so far, but unlike the last 2 seasons where there has been clear indications that we are a long way off the pace of the best teams, this year those indications are not there so far imo. There are far more positive signs from our play, and the big negatives (Terrible disposal, poor choice of man to HB to, poor kicking,general decision making etc) are vastly improved this season. Still plenty of work to do, but the signs are good.

I'm not saying that we are anywhere near the best teams potentially come the end of the year, but I feel we have made a lot of progress so far, and with it proving a very even competition so far, there is no reason if we can do well over the next 6 weeks or so that we can be sitting very nicely halfway through the season and with a real chance of finishing somewhere between say 4-7.

Thunder Shaker
27th April 2010, 11:10 PM
We should still be in the 8 at the end of May. Still being in the top four would be a real bonus.

We definitely need to see some wins against quality sides before we can assess how well we are going. It's good being at the top of the ladder right now, but the sides we have beaten so far have three wins between them. If we are 6-2 or better after eight rounds, then one can start talking to our supervisors about the need to take time off in September.

andyn
28th April 2010, 04:17 PM
I love this cautious optimism we all have! Can't wait till Saturday night (even though I usually become a nervous wreck)

Big Al
28th April 2010, 04:37 PM
It's not the fall that kills you. It's the rapid negative acceleration when you reach the ground that does it.

Guns don't kill people......

husbands who come home early do.

BigD
29th April 2010, 09:11 PM
I think the next four weeks will truly tell the story as to how the Swans are travelling.

Nico
29th April 2010, 09:17 PM
A keen observation may suggest that we can not get any higher on the ladder than we are after round five.

Unless of course they are smoking some of that Tibetan Weed.

cruiser
29th April 2010, 09:21 PM
Can't wait till Saturday night (even though I usually become a nervous wreck) Me too, am really looking forward to it but will be very nervous come the first bounce.

Nico
29th April 2010, 09:22 PM
I agree with BSA5 that no-one's unbeatable this year.

The Swans are looking pretty good. We may have beaten lowly sides but we really put 'em away. Two years ago we would have won those games by three or four goals. The addition of pace and the sharper kicking skills have made a huge difference. We've now got all the ingredients of a top side - mongrel defence, inside and midfielders, power forwards, small forwards, rucks, on-field leadership, team ethos, coaching smarts. We just need to get consistency.

I had Swans finishing at 6-10 at the start of the year but I'm upgrading my forecast to 4-7.

Lion steak coming up.

Keen observation there Shocker. Every side has lost a game already so I guess that means no side is unbeatable.

hammo
30th April 2010, 11:02 AM
I think the next four weeks will truly tell the story as to how the Swans are travelling.

Absolutely.

It's been more than 12 months since we've beaten a top 8 side - Carlton in round 4 last year.

So a real test of where we are at coming up.

Go Swannies
30th April 2010, 11:15 AM
Absolutely.

It's been more than 12 months since we've beaten a top 8 side - Carlton in round 4 last year.

So a real test of where we are at coming up.

It seems to be a very even comp this year so I'd be unhappy if we didn't win at least half of the Brion, Cats, Dogs, Freo, Pies games. The Dees beat the Lions but we can't on the SCG = a problem.

Matty10
30th April 2010, 01:07 PM
It's been more than 12 months since we've beaten a top 8 side.

I hate stats like that - you can't argue with them - hopefully it is no longer accurate come Sunday.

msb
30th April 2010, 01:15 PM
I think we can beat the Lions, maybe not the Cats (but who knows - we might) Hawks I'm pretty confident we can beat, only Freo and the Dogs are a question mark.

Nah, we'll roll freo at the SCG, Subiaco though a different story

Cheer Squad
2nd May 2010, 10:40 AM
I thought we would beat Brisbane reasonably comfortably, and so it proved, but only after a cracker of a game, especially that third quarter - how good was that?

What is of concern is the mounting injury toll:

Craig Bolton - 8 weeks with an ankle injury
Mark Seaby - ankle injury, out for how long???
Ted Richards - ankle injury, out for how long???
Jarrad Moore - ankle injury, out for how long???
Ben McGlynn - quad injury, couple of weeks away
Craig Bird (remember him?) - couple of weeks away with an ankle injury
Ryan O'Keefe - concussion! considering how strongly he's built, he must have copped a real whack
Jude Bolton - concussion - he'll probably be right
Daniel Hannebery - shoulder - I hope that's not going to be an ongoing problem

We can't sustain too much more damage like this.

But I still think we've got our best chance in many years next week of knocking off Geelong at home.

CureTheSane
2nd May 2010, 11:24 AM
WTF is it with all the ankles?
Ground condition?
New boots?

mcs
2nd May 2010, 06:53 PM
I thought we would beat Brisbane reasonably comfortably, and so it proved, but only after a cracker of a game, especially that third quarter - how good was that?

What is of concern is the mounting injury toll:

Craig Bolton - 8 weeks with an ankle injury
Mark Seaby - ankle injury, out for how long???
Ted Richards - ankle injury, out for how long???
Jarrad Moore - ankle injury, out for how long???
Ben McGlynn - quad injury, couple of weeks away
Craig Bird (remember him?) - couple of weeks away with an ankle injury
Ryan O'Keefe - concussion! considering how strongly he's built, he must have copped a real whack
Jude Bolton - concussion - he'll probably be right
Daniel Hannebery - shoulder - I hope that's not going to be an ongoing problem

We can't sustain too much more damage like this.

But I still think we've got our best chance in many years next week of knocking off Geelong at home.

Bird said last night at the forward pocket function he hopes to be playing reserves next week or the week after. O'keefe did hit his head very hard indeed- hopefully he and Bolton will be ok for next week. Hanners didn't seem to affected when he came back in the 2nd half, so hopefully it was a clean dislocation and he will not miss much or any footy.

Fingers crossed most aren't too long term, as it would be such a shame if injuries ripped apart our season after the fantastic start we have had to the year.

dawson
2nd May 2010, 07:17 PM
Ultimately the home and away season is nothing but the preliminary rounds to the finals. We'll be in the finals for sure - its just a matter of what shape we will be in come September.
We had great seasons in 1997 and 98 and both times they didn't amount to much; although in 1998 we were victims of the finals system and didn't receive much of a benefit for finishing third and winning in the first week.

Cheer Squad
13th May 2010, 09:32 AM
What a difference a week makes...

Having been sat down hard on our backsides at the Cattery last week, we wake to find reports that Bradshaw may not play this week. We've suddenly become very dependent on him, haven't we? Mumford's gone for a couple of weeks. Seaby's out for 3 months. C. Bolton's out for a couple of months. Moore's out for a couple of weeks with an injury. I wonder how many other injuries are being hidden.

Looks like the wheels are falling off. Hard to see us winning on Saturday.

aardvark
13th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Great opportunity to see just how deep we really do go. If the players coming in have the confidence needed to fulfil their roles in the team (unlike ED) we should be ok.

Bas
16th May 2010, 05:17 PM
Just watching pre-game show of Saints and Bombers game and Brian Taylor said that 2 weeks ago he thought Swans were top 4 but now still thinks they will finish in top 6.

Is it because we have Pyke in the ruck?

Big Al
16th May 2010, 09:25 PM
Just watching pre-game show of Saints and Bombers game and Brian Taylor said that 2 weeks ago he thought Swans were top 4 but now still thinks they will finish in top 6.

Is it because we have Pyke in the ruck?

It's because he's a dickhead who hasn't got a clue what he's talking about.

Although he maybe right.