PDA

View Full Version : Swans team vs Brisbane (OFFICIAL teams named)

alison.z
29th April 2010, 04:31 AM
Apparently Richards back in ...

Lions line up old mate Daniel Bradshaw | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/lions-line-up-old-mate-daniel-bradshaw/story-e6frexwr-1225859561869)

Former Essendon defender Ted Richards will be recalled into the Swans' starting 22.

dimelb
29th April 2010, 09:27 AM
Brown and Bradshaw are expecting a high-scoring game with both sides fielding three key forwards.
I think this will only happen if the Swans hand out another belting, which I'd like to see. Even with our freer scoring our defence has still been pretty stingy, albeit against lower sides.

hammo
29th April 2010, 12:38 PM
Richards in is confirmed. He's doing a press conference this afternoon with Roos this afternoon.

Margie
29th April 2010, 12:43 PM
Richards in is confirmed. He's doing a press conference this afternoon with Roos this afternoon.

Makes sense to recall Richards. He's been an integral part of the backline in the past and should slot nicely back into the role.

CJK
29th April 2010, 12:54 PM
Damn it - means we'll have to sit thought a mountain of posts going 'Vezzzzzzz plzzzzzzzzz' next time there is an injury.

Not sure I can go through that again, and again, and again,

hammo
29th April 2010, 01:37 PM
Damn it - means we'll have to sit thought a mountain of posts going 'Vezzzzzzz plzzzzzzzzz' next time there is an injury.

Not sure I can go through that again, and again, and again,

If you survived the Nick Davis threads I'm sure you'll make it.

ShockOfHair
29th April 2010, 02:01 PM

Can't he just blog it on the Richards report?

I like how the Tele calls this Sat's game "the traditional grudge match". They're right that it's a match.

Nico
29th April 2010, 02:13 PM
Makes sense to recall Richards. He's been an integral part of the backline in the past and should slot nicely back into the role.

Problem is he is devoid of pace and the pundits are all saying that Melbourne exploited Brisbane's lack of pace. So our speed barometer will take a drop this week. I suspect Smith will start back with Richards being the defensive benchwarmer.

CJK
29th April 2010, 02:16 PM

No one really survived that. We all still bear the scars.

I like how the Tele calls this Sat's game "the traditional grudge match". They're right that it's a match. .

Lies! It's Mate Vs Mate! State Vs State!*

* it isn't really.

Go Swannies
29th April 2010, 02:32 PM
Problem is he is devoid of pace and the pundits are all saying that Melbourne exploited Brisbane's lack of pace. So our speed barometer will take a drop this week. I suspect Smith will start back with Richards being the defensive benchwarmer.

If Teddy can't outrun B2's speed in the first few rounds then he's really in trouble. And he just has to get the ball to one of our speedsters in the backline - a deft pass or kick and we're on our way.

Matty10
29th April 2010, 02:53 PM
If Bolton is out for a long stretch then it would be better to have Ted in there now as a starter so that he can work back into form and gel with the rest of the players down back, rather than have him pinch hit off the bench.

ugg
29th April 2010, 03:10 PM
I can confirm that Ted for Craig is the only change this week.

ernie koala
29th April 2010, 03:43 PM
I can confirm that Ted for Craig is the only change this week.

Hope, for his sake, he doesn't have to back into the hole (aka; Fevs knee) too often.....

honour_the_name
29th April 2010, 03:58 PM
Didn't he have a shocker in the 2's last week. I thought they might have gone with Bevo, Pyke, Barlow or Veszpremi. This might be Turnover Ted's last chance. He'd better make the most of it.

Plugger46
29th April 2010, 04:04 PM
a deft pass or kick and we're on our way.

Not Teddy's strength!

Bloody Hell
29th April 2010, 04:05 PM

Unfortunately I see more parrallels than one there...

Bloody Hell
29th April 2010, 04:06 PM
I like how the Tele calls this Sat's game "the traditional grudge match". They're right that it's a match.

I actually enjoy Lions vs Swans traditionally more than any other match - it's not because I don't like them.

Go Swannies
29th April 2010, 04:10 PM
I actually enjoy Lions vs Swans traditionally more than any other match - it's not because I don't like them.

Me too. And we've had some ripper games. I have rels in Bris so have been to a few up there. Great friendly crowd. And was there when Baz put us in front for the first time after the final siren - and when Willo sealed the game for us with a run down the guts when the Brions were building momentum. They won the Premiership though.

And there's always the Pineapple and singing the Swans song after till the locals leave.

ugg
29th April 2010, 04:12 PM
Didn't he have a shocker in the 2's last week. I thought they might have gone with Bevo, Pyke, Barlow or Veszpremi. This might be Turnover Ted's last chance. He'd better make the most of it.
Strange, I could swear that this is his first chance this year.

dimelb
29th April 2010, 04:14 PM
Me too. And we've had some ripper games. I have rels in Bris so have been to a few up there. Great friendly crowd. And was there when Baz put us in front for the first time after the final siren - and when Willo sealed the game for us with a run down the guts when the Brions were building momentum. They won the Premiership though.

And there's always the Pineapple and singing the Swans song after till the locals leave.
Wonderful game in '05.
Every so often we sit down for 4 final quarters of football from that season. That's the game that starts it off; I think you could guess what the others are!

Go Swannies
29th April 2010, 04:19 PM
I think you could guess what the others are!

The holy trinity - the last quarters of the Cats, Saints and Weagles finals?

DST
29th April 2010, 04:45 PM

Neither Bevo, Veszpremi or Barlow are third tall defenders and unlikely to provide any help in being third up to help LRT and Reg or take the resting ruckman.

Pyke maybe, but he has played 2 halfs in the backline at reserves level and has issue with kicking the football under pressure.

Unless they wanted to go specifically smaller and add another runner, they were never going to pick any of those mentioned above Ted.

DST

dimelb
29th April 2010, 04:58 PM
The holy trinity - the last quarters of the Cats, Saints and Weagles finals?
Absobloodylutely!

goswannie14
29th April 2010, 05:08 PM
The holy trinity - the last quarters of the Cats, Saints and Weagles finals?Now I want to watch them again!

Mike_B
29th April 2010, 05:08 PM
Strange, I could swear that this is his first chance this year.

2nd chance actually. He played Rd 1 before being replaced by Hanners. If this is the only change this week, we will still have used only 24 players this season - the named 22, plus C Bolton and McGlynn and 19 of those will have played all 6 games.

honour_the_name
29th April 2010, 05:09 PM
If there is a need for a third tall defender, I think Barlow could fill this role.

Triple B
29th April 2010, 05:16 PM
Didn't he have a shocker in the 2's last week.

He wasn't great, granted, but he was kept as a fresh 'in case' for the seniors and didn't play the second half.

Now if any of our guys from last week had been rested after halftime, we could say the same about them. We were deplorable and 4 goals down in that match. NOBODY, certainly not those in contention for a callup with the possible exception of Rohan had a good first half.

Richards is absolutely the logical choice to come in for B2, any other options are just straight gambles which are not necessary. Not to say Vespa, Rohan or even Bevan are not deserving of a run, but we need 'Vidic' for his height to assist down back. If Brown plays, Vossy will almost certainly send Clark forward at various stages. We'd be well and truly up against it if anybody else was brought in.

Talk of Pyke as an alternative backman is extremely premature. Not ready, period.

Triple B
29th April 2010, 05:26 PM
Further to Ted's shocker last week, as mentioned in the ressies report, our midfield got the absolute mother of all hidings in the first half last week.

The ball came down back time and time again. Ted was beseiged with the following backup:

Blake Guthrie - a 5'9 ish scholarship player
Campbell Heath - First year player (in reality) who has been good so far
#51 - top-up player
Chris McKaigue - irish recruit with 4 games under his belt and had a shocker as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes he wasn't great, but he was set an almost impossible task to stop the tide which just kept on coming in and cover for his highly inexperienced backline partners as well.

liz
29th April 2010, 05:53 PM
And further to Triple's observations, he was playing FB as well, rather than 3rd man in defence which he is likely to fill at senior level. Yes, his opponent was hardly Fevola or Brown but it still wasn't a position he will mostly likely fill in the senior team. With LRT and Reg in form, we have two players to take prime responsibility for the two key forwards. What we will need against Brisbane, more than any other side, is someone who has the judgement to know when to leave his man to come across and support Reg or LRT and/or someone brave enough to fill the hole in front of them. Ted is most clearly the best qualified for either of these jobs.

ugg
29th April 2010, 06:05 PM
Monty's back!

B: Ashley McGrath (9), Matt Maguire (36), Josh Drummond (39)
HB: Travis Johnstone (4), Joel Patfull (24), Andrew Raines (29)
C: Daniel Rich (10), Simon Black (20), Justin Sherman (11)
HF: Luke Power (6), Jonathan Brown (16), James Polkinghorne (31)
F: Brent Staker (14), Brendan Fevola (5), Todd Banfield (18)
Foll: Mitch Clark (1), Jared Brennan (17), Michael Rischitelli (35)
Int: Jack Redden (30), Matthew Leuenberger (23), Matt Austin (8), Amon Buchanan (33)

Emerg: Troy Selwood (28), James Hawksley (12), Tom Rockliff (38)

IN: Justin Sherman, Luke Power, Matt Austin, Amon Buchanan

OUT: Daniel Merrett (hamstring), Albert Proud, Tom Rockliff, James Hawksley (omit)

ugg
29th April 2010, 06:08 PM
As expected Ted in for Bolts. Patty to the emergencies!

SYDNEY SWANS v BRISBANE LIONS
Sydney Swans
B: Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Tadhg Kennelly
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski
C: Jarrad McVeigh, Brett Kirk, Lewis Jetta
HF: Ryan O?Keefe, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Mark Seaby, Daniel Bradshaw, Jarred Moore
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack
I/C: Daniel Hannebery, Ted Richards, Nick Smith, Jesse White
Emg: Ed Barlow, Gary Rohan, Pat Veszpremi

In: Richards
Out: Craig Bolton (achilles)

ShockOfHair
29th April 2010, 06:11 PM
THat's why they didn't call it rivalry round. It's reunion round.

Hartijon
29th April 2010, 06:12 PM
The majority of RWO's posting on here got what they wanted and Turnover Ted (TT) is back. I found it amusing that his reputation increased the less he played senior football and a wave of support coincided with his talented funny articles. Football however is not a popularity contest. I wish him well,I admire his guts but have little confidence in his performance under pressure where he coughs up free kicks,usually in front of goal. To me the team lost a chance to experiment ,well before the finals to give a different look to the backline without losing or risking too much. I like our current team even with TT in it although I feel Josh Kennedy remains lucky to be in it and he reminds me of Luke Ablett. We play better when he is there so his effect is indirect but the coaches like what he does around the edges. Most of us don't see it.

premiers05
29th April 2010, 06:12 PM
So Monty is in for Brisbane. Much talk about how Bradshaw felt being traded. I think Monty will have a monster of a game. He has alot to prove

ugg
29th April 2010, 06:14 PM
The majority of RWO's posting on here got what they wanted and Turnover Ted (TT) is back. I found it amusing that his reputation increased the less he played senior football and a wave of support coincided with his talented funny articles. Football however is not a popularity contest. I wish him well,I admire his guts but have little confidence in his performance under pressure where he coughs up free kicks,usually in front of goal. To me the team lost a chance to experiment ,well before the finals to give a different look to the backline without losing or risking too much. I like our current team even with TT in it although I feel Josh Kennedy remains lucky to be in it and he reminds me of Luke Ablett. We play better when he is there so his effect is indirect but the coaches like what he does around the edges. Most of us don't see it.
Actually I'm not a big fan of Ted, but in this case he was the right man, and probably the only man for the job. It has nothing to do with popularity. As for the Josh Kennedy comment, I guess all his great inside work has flown straight past you. Not to mentioned the 5 handy goals he has for the year.

Cheer Squad
29th April 2010, 06:18 PM
Didn't he have a shocker in the 2's last week. This might be Turnover Ted's last chance. He'd better make the most of it.

I tend to agree. Richards has made some shocking mistakes which have cost us dearly over the years.

dawson
29th April 2010, 06:19 PM
I think this is a good week to be playing Brisbane when Jonathan Brown isn't 100%
He was clearly suffering last week against Melbourne.

jono2707
29th April 2010, 06:27 PM
Actually I'm not a big fan of Ted, but in this case he was the right man, and probably the only man for the job. It has nothing to do with popularity. As for the Josh Kennedy comment, I guess all his great inside work has flown straight past you. Not to mentioned the 5 handy goals he has for the year.

Agreed - Josh Kennedy has been great for us so far this year. Some of the inside work he does is outstanding - its not flashy and not always easy to notice, but he has a pretty decent knack for extracting the hard ball out of a pack and getting it on to someone else. He may not be the messiah but he's developing very nicely thank you.

Good to see Ted back - I hope he does well....

Hartijon
29th April 2010, 06:37 PM
Agreed - Josh Kennedy has been great for us so far this year. Some of the inside work he does is outstanding - its not flashy and not always easy to notice, but he has a pretty decent knack for extracting the hard ball out of a pack and getting it on to someone else. He may not be the messiah but he's developing very nicely thank you.

Good to see Ted back - I hope he does well....

I have seen Jude Bolton, Kirk and McVeigh do some incredible hard ball gets in a pack and deliver accurately.Goodes too. If that is Josh's job too I guess it has passed me by.I saw him get it a few times and get it going in the general direction but have also seen miskicks and turnovers.Maybe you need to be at the games and not watch them on TV to appreciate what he does. His goals that I saw were often being at the end of a loose man chain,handy, but hardly spectacular in a dominating team. Lets see him kick a few against Geelong and Collingwood and I will be impressed.Still believe he is lucky to be in the team.

ShockOfHair
29th April 2010, 06:38 PM
It's Ted then daylight for this game.

SHould we read anything into Jesse starting on the bench?

liz
29th April 2010, 06:53 PM
I have seen Jude Bolton, Kirk and McVeigh do some incredible hard ball gets in a pack and deliver accurately.Goodes too. If that is Josh's job too I guess it has passed me by.I saw him get it a few times and get it going in the general direction but have also seen miskicks and turnovers.Maybe you need to be at the games and not watch them on TV to appreciate what he does. His goals that I saw were often being at the end of a loose man chain,handy, but hardly spectacular in a dominating team. Lets see him kick a few against Geelong and Collingwood and I will be impressed.Still believe he is lucky to be in the team.

You've never seen Jude or Kirk turn the ball over off the boot either? Or counted how many direct goal assists Kennedy has contributed this year?

Go Swannies
29th April 2010, 06:55 PM
It's a big call but I have been watching Kennedy and thinking that he's getting set to take on Kirk's role. He's in the middle of it a lot and mainly gets it done - wait till he gets a bit more confidence.

Hartijon
29th April 2010, 06:59 PM
You've never seen Jude or Kirk turn the ball over off the boot either? Or counted how many direct goal assists Kennedy has contributed this year?
Yes,No and point?

Brettb
29th April 2010, 07:00 PM

You must be blind.

Josh has been fantastic this year thus far, he is averaging near on 20 possessions a game at 74% efficiency.

His work in tight has been a pleasure to watch.

giant
29th April 2010, 07:39 PM
According to the Record I had on the weekend, Kennedy was 2nd for I50s for the Swans. Getting better each week - more than convinced he's a good pick up for us.

Bas
29th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Spread the love on here tonight.

ScottH
29th April 2010, 07:48 PM
According to the Record I had on the weekend, Kennedy was 2nd for I50s for the Swans. Getting better each week - more than convinced he's a good pick up for us.

Equal third -> RedandWhiteOnline (RWO) Messageboard (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/?pageid=stats&rnd=Total&sby=i&year=2010)

But in Hartijon's defence, Kennedy seems to be less noticeable on the field as the others.
I often seem to notice him a few times, and then I see his stats and wonder were I was looking.

He's also 3rd in tackles. behind guess who ... 31 and 24.

Big Al
29th April 2010, 07:57 PM

Your watching different matches to me. :confused:

BSA5
29th April 2010, 08:12 PM
Kennedy has been great. While he's prone to the occasional miskick, when he hits it right he hits it very well and can be quite damaging. Most of the time his poor kicks seem to be trying to do too much, e.g. trying to spear it in low and it turning into a grubber, etc. With experience he'll get to know his limitations under pressure.

I mean FFS, the kid is picking up 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, as a 21 year old, 18 game player, on just 71% game time. Oh, and only 2 clangers per game, with 74% DE (for what that's worth). I think it's probably easy to forget just how young and inexperienced he is. He hasn't even reached 20 games yet! Just because we recruited him doesn't mean he's automatically at his peak. He's a developing player as much as Nick Smith, Kieran Jack, Craig Bird, Dan Hannebery, Jesse White, etc, etc, etc, and he's preforming bloody well.

DeadlyAkkuret
29th April 2010, 08:15 PM
You make some really good points, it's quite easy to forget how young and inexperienced he is and I actually didn't know he'd only played 19 games.

ShockOfHair
29th April 2010, 08:38 PM
Kennedy has been great. While he's prone to the occasional miskick, when he hits it right he hits it very well and can be quite damaging. Most of the time his poor kicks seem to be trying to do too much, e.g. trying to spear it in low and it turning into a grubber, etc. With experience he'll get to know his limitations under pressure.

I mean FFS, the kid is picking up 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, as a 21 year old, 18 game player, on just 71% game time. Oh, and only 2 clangers per game, with 74% DE (for what that's worth). I think it's probably easy to forget just how young and inexperienced he is. He hasn't even reached 20 games yet! Just because we recruited him doesn't mean he's automatically at his peak. He's a developing player as much as Nick Smith, Kieran Jack, Craig Bird, Dan Hannebery, Jesse White, etc, etc, etc, and he's preforming bloody well.

Sure, but apart from the 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, what has Kennedy ever done for us?

waterfowl
29th April 2010, 08:42 PM
Sure, but apart from the 19 touches, 4 inside 50s, 3 clearances and 1.4 assists per game, what has Kennedy ever done for us?

Lol...brought peace!

hammo
29th April 2010, 08:46 PM
I'm generally happy with Kennedy though with his goals, most have come in junk time (still kicks them though).

I like the nickname Turnover Ted... it's fair to say he'll be under close scrutiny this week... but it's hard to rate a player who's best position is playing a loose in defence. It wasn't his defensive work in the reserves last week that was necessarily the problem, it was his constant fumbling.

Horses for courses didn't demand his selection as I don't think 3 talls has ever worked on the SCG. Certainly next week against Geelong we'll need him.

Jewels
29th April 2010, 08:52 PM

Walked on water and solved the problems in the middle east!
Even if he had, it wouldn't be enough for a few on here.

Nico
29th April 2010, 09:00 PM

Agree on the Ted comments but not sure on Kennedy as yet. I think he is a far better and more effective player than Luke Ablett. For mine Richards adds slowness to the team. I can only think that the selection committee have a thing about the height of the Brisbane forward line. Maybe they want to retain the current structure as best they can so TR in keeps most of it in shape.

goswannie14
29th April 2010, 09:06 PM
I feel Josh Kennedy remains lucky to be in it and he reminds me of Luke Ablett. We play better when he is there so his effect is indirect but the coaches like what he does around the edges. Most of us don't see it.Don't try to lob all of us in with what you believe. I have been very impressed with Kennedy and what he brings to the team. He more than deserves his place in the team.

Nico
29th April 2010, 09:07 PM
If there is a need for a third tall defender, I think Barlow could fill this role.

RWOers just reached for the heart pills.

hammo
29th April 2010, 09:17 PM
Anyone who missed Rohan's runs in the ressies last week should try to catch a replay of tonight's Fox Sports Teams. They replayed both of them. Just as exciting as witnessing them at the ground!

Cheer Squad
29th April 2010, 09:45 PM
I like the nickname Turnover Ted... it's fair to say he'll be under close scrutiny this week... but it's hard to rate a player who's best position is playing a loose in defence. It wasn't his defensive work in the reserves last week that was necessarily the problem, it was his constant fumbling.

Do you remember his effort in front of goal against Carlton at Etihad Stadium last year? I shudder every time I think of it.

mcs
29th April 2010, 10:01 PM
Can't believe the dissing of Kennedy. He has been excellent for us so far this season- I also feel he is being groomed for Kirk's roll. He is one of those exceptionally effective but almost anonymous players- just goes on there does his job, and more often than not you barely notice he played.

As for Teddy coming in, seems the logical choice to me, especially against a team with 2 quality FF and when we have our best defender out (Saying that Grundy is rapidly catching up!). While richards makes mistakes, he generally does his job pretty well imo and I think he was a good pick. You could of rejigged and bought in Rohan or Ves or someone, but imo its the best call for now. How great is it that we have a bit of depth and players that are doing very well in the Seconds can't get a game. Can only be good for keeping our players performing as well as they can- nothing like having a bit of pressure on your spot in the team to make you play well.

While I'm disappointed Bolton is out, I'm kind of glad his body will get a chance to rest and recuperate- he has been down on form this season a bit and I think it may be because he has been carrying a niggling injury or two along the way. Get him rested and right and he'll be ready to go in a couple of months time.

satchmopugdog
29th April 2010, 10:17 PM
JUst noticed two of the INS for Brisbane...Austin,Power....Yea baby!!!!!!

Bloody Hell
29th April 2010, 10:23 PM

The aqueduct.

Bloody Hell
29th April 2010, 10:29 PM
Can't believe the dissing of Kennedy.

I can.

People are trying to find the weak link in a team sitting on top of the ladder!

I think the comparisons with Ablett are understandable, as they're both big bodies with questionable disposal. HOWEVER, Kennedy is a MASSIVE step up from Luke Ablett. This type of player, while not pretty is vital to the type of footy played by the Swans.

I think the Kirk comparison is a bit OTT.

swansrule100
29th April 2010, 10:43 PM
the inclusion of ted for bolton isnt too bad i guess, im not sure we needed another tall to replace bolton, could of got vespa or rohan in., or perhaps taller players like odwyer or barlow. But guess ted deserves a crack first

RogueSwan
29th April 2010, 10:59 PM
Maybe Vidic is insurance?
I don't 'want jinx anyone but what if either LRT or Reg copped an injury during the game. Who would cover Browvola?

swansrule100
29th April 2010, 11:04 PM
Maybe Vidic is insurance?
I don't 'want jinx anyone but what if either LRT or Reg copped an injury during the game. Who would cover Browvola?

goodes maybe? white?....dunno could ted do it though?

Midfield
29th April 2010, 11:14 PM
So Monty is in for Brisbane. Much talk about how Bradshaw felt being traded. I think Monty will have a monster of a game. He has alot to prove

I really wanted him to miss another because it just doesnt sit right. I hope he towels us up (but we win) and stays injury free for the rest of the year.

Big Al
29th April 2010, 11:19 PM
I really wanted him to miss another because it just doesnt sit right. I hope he towels us up (but we win) and stays injury free for the rest of the year.

Why????

Buchanan wouldn't be in our best 22 so we did him a favour by trading him to a team that may need him.

Bloody Hell
29th April 2010, 11:29 PM

I don't - I hope he sprays some easy shots at goals OOBOTF, tries to break away from packs and gets mown down from behind and finally tries to break through some tackles but gets done for HTB.

I think my hopes are more likely too.

Midfield
29th April 2010, 11:30 PM
Why????

Buchanan wouldn't be in our best 22 so we did him a favour by trading him to a team that may need him.

Because a) IMO you are wrong about his ability and b) flicking players with his level of service is just wrong.

DeadlyAkkuret
29th April 2010, 11:35 PM
Because a) IMO you are wrong about his ability and b) flicking players with his level of service is just wrong.

It's about what's best for the team, and Amon hasn't been anything special over the last 2 years. We've moved on and so has he, he's just another Brisbane player now.

Big Al
29th April 2010, 11:41 PM

It's not my opinion, it's the opinions of the coaching staff who believed he's not in our best 22 and did him favour by moving him on. As for the "service" bit would you rather he stayed in Sydney and play Reserves which whether you like it or not he would have played or be traded to a team where he may get a game. Also you do not keep players regardless of service if they only weaken the team.

Midfield
29th April 2010, 11:58 PM
It's not my opinion, it's the opinions of the coaching staff who believed he's not in our best 22 and did him favour by moving him on. As for the "service" bit would you rather he stayed in Sydney and play Reserves which whether you like it or not he would have played or be traded to a team where he may get a game. Also you do not keep players regardless of service if they only weaken the team.

Sorry big fella, i'll correct myself then and say that the coaching staff were wrong. He is comfortably in the best 22 according to Vossy and his crew and most would think that brissy will give the top 4 a shake. I do note the sentiment on this forum of team first and all that. Doesnt mean I have to like it (I guess my credits run longer than most on here). In any event, I hope he stays fit thats all.

Peace
30th April 2010, 12:10 AM
Hopefully Ted can give Fev a taste of his own rib breaking medicine and send him back to Brisbane on a train :)

harsh?

meh.

BSA5
30th April 2010, 12:21 AM
Sorry big fella, i'll correct myself then and say that the coaching staff were wrong. He is comfortably in the best 22 according to Vossy and his crew and most would think that brissy will give the top 4 a shake. I do note the sentiment on this forum of team first and all that. Doesnt mean I have to like it (I guess my credits run longer than most on here). In any event, I hope he stays fit thats all.

Just because he's in the best 22 at Brissy doesn't mean he's in the best 22 at the Swans, even if Brisbane are a better side. Structure is important, and we are absolutely swimming in midfield depth and experience. Brisbane needed a bloke like Buchy. We didn't.

ugg
30th April 2010, 02:38 AM
Field Umpires: Michael Vozzo (2) Stephen McBurney (3) Stuart Wenn (22) EM: Jacob Mollison (32)
Boundary Umpires: Luke Roberts, Michael Saunders, Chris Simms, Aaron Deckys
Goal Umpires: James Savage, Sergio Villagra EM: Peter Nastasi

Umpires in YELLOW

BSA5
30th April 2010, 03:07 AM
Not great umpires...

Jeffers1984
30th April 2010, 09:49 AM
McBurney arrrrgh

RogueSwan
30th April 2010, 11:23 AM
Field Umpires: Michael Vozzo (2) Stephen McBurney (3)...\

Damn, Damn, Damn.
I can picture Reg 'giving away' a lot of frees this week.

Matty10
30th April 2010, 01:24 PM
Just because he's in the best 22 at Brissy doesn't mean he's in the best 22 at the Swans, even if Brisbane are a better side. Structure is important, and we are absolutely swimming in midfield depth and experience. Brisbane needed a bloke like Buchy. We didn't.

It is an interesting argument though. I have not watched too many Brisbane games with Buchanan in to see how he lines up. It is not as if Brisbane has a bad midfield group though. The way I saw it the Swans essentially made two choices on Buchanan - the first was to keep him and get rid of Schneider (although it was a tough and perhaps close call at the time - Buchy did have a purple patch as a midfielder for about 3 weeks that season) as they were seen by the match committee as playing the same role in the side (whatever that was is somewhat difficult to work out - tough inside, quick outside, goal scorer, etc - they obviously had something in mind). The second choice was moving him on after he failed to get up to the standard that the Swans had asked of him (like they had with Schneider - who is now playing an important role at the Saints, like he had with us earlier in his career).

Buchanan had opportunities and I am not sure where he would fit into our team at the moment anyway. Good luck to him and the Lions if they have found a permanent spot for his talents (and who knows maybe the move inspired a greater determination than he had at the Swans).

Jewels
30th April 2010, 05:10 PM

Who would you have him in place of in our team?

Hartijon
30th April 2010, 05:31 PM
Buchanan is one of my favourite Swans of all time. His GF play was legendary,unbelievable player who performed when we needed him the most (unlike some others ) He was a player the players would love to play with. I am really pleased he has resurrected his Career and I hope he does well but not so well that we get beaten. I fear he will take us apart! I would find him a spot easy in our side,got just the right place for him too in the clinches!

undy
30th April 2010, 05:41 PM
It is an interesting argument though. I have not watched too many Brisbane games with Buchanan in to see how he lines up.

He got injured in round 1 (IIRC) and this will be his first game back post-injury. Personally I hope he has a good game, cementing himself in the Lions team, helping Jared Brennan clock-up 150 DT points (so I beat Dalai) and yet loses.

dimelb
30th April 2010, 06:30 PM
Buchanan is one of my favourite Swans of all time. His GF play was legendary,unbelievable player who performed when we needed him the most (unlike some others ) He was a player the players would love to play with. I am really pleased he has resurrected his Career and I hope he does well but not so well that we get beaten. I fear he will take us apart! I would find him a spot easy in our side,got just the right place for him too in the clinches!
My pick for NSM in front of LRT - and I'm an LRT fan.

Jewels
30th April 2010, 06:41 PM
My pick for NSM in front of LRT - and I'm an LRT fan.

Really? IMO Fozzie was the one ripped off

Claret
30th April 2010, 06:56 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously . . . . . .

Jono Brown didn't fly in with the team today. The official line from the Lions is that he flew into town yesterday.

Just as importantly, I'll be flying up in the morning. ;)

ugg
30th April 2010, 06:57 PM
Rumour going round is that Sherman is out.

Big Al
30th April 2010, 07:22 PM
Rumour going round is that Sherman is out.

He's tanking.

DeadlyAkkuret
30th April 2010, 07:25 PM

Since when has Buchanan ever done that?

Big Al
30th April 2010, 07:31 PM

That's funny. When's the last time apart from in Canberra has Buchy taken any team apart.

Who would you replace in our side with Buchanan?

satchmopugdog
30th April 2010, 07:45 PM
He's tanking.

I laughed

goswannie14
30th April 2010, 08:04 PM
He's tanking.

I laughedSo did I, but then when I live on a Military base, you would expect that!

giant
30th April 2010, 11:30 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously . . . . . .

Jono Brown didn't fly in with the team today. The official line from the Lions is that he flew into town yesterday.

Just as importantly, I'll be flying up in the morning. ;)

Heard he's having dinner with the Bradshaws. Has to unload to someone about what an a-hole Fev is.

AnnieH
1st May 2010, 12:24 AM
Heard he's having dinner with the Bradshaws. Has to unload to someone about what an a-hole Fev is.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!
Beautiful.

We HAVE to win tomorrow night. Our percentage is still healthy enough to knock the ainters from our number one position.

I hope we beat them by 100.

Flossie
1st May 2010, 11:20 AM
McBurney!!! We're stuffed!
Field Umpires: Michael Vozzo (2) Stephen McBurney (3) Stuart Wenn (22) EM: Jacob Mollison (32)
Boundary Umpires: Luke Roberts, Michael Saunders, Chris Simms, Aaron Deckys
Goal Umpires: James Savage, Sergio Villagra EM: Peter Nastasi

Umpires in YELLOW

Primmy
1st May 2010, 11:39 AM
Here I was having a noice cuppa and I read this post!!! McBurney!!!! and Wenn!!! awwwwwww (upward whine). Not fair. Bring back Goldspink I say!!!

Then again as they don't have to got to deal with Bazza and Barry, perhaps they won't have their usual whipping boys for this season? Yes?

satchmopugdog
1st May 2010, 11:42 AM

2 laughs on one page ..keep it up RWO..it is a lot less expensive than my new medication

Primmy
1st May 2010, 02:23 PM
Here's another laugh Satch. Brissy didn't bring Jonno with the rest of the mob, so naturally I shifted him out of my dreamteam for this game. Now he is available.....I was not happy. Until I saw it rained last night, and this morning, its a wet track and he has groin stomach issues; its a possibility he will be a late scratching; or he will not play out the game in his usual style. Now I am happty.

Here's another laugh. I am breaking out my new Swans hoodie for the occasion. Picture this - mutton dressed as lamb, overfed mutton at that. But its a lovely colourr.......