PDA

View Full Version : Some MCG advice required

snajik
29th April 2010, 05:22 PM
Being a Sydneysider and not having travelled to the MCG for half a dozen years or so, I was wondering if someone could provide me with some ticketing advice. My daughters will be attending the Richmond game in early July, so I'm after a couple of tickets for their birthday. Something reasonably priced but still with a good enough view, preferably elevated. Any particular stands that anyone would recommend?

goswannie14
29th April 2010, 05:24 PM
Being a Sydneysider and not having travelled to the MCG for half a dozen years or so, I was wondering if someone could provide me with some ticketing advice. My daughters will be attending the Richmond game in early July, so I'm after a couple of tickets for their birthday. Something reasonably priced but still with a good enough view, preferably elevated. Any particular stands that anyone would recommend?
Don't waste a booking fee by buying a ticket is my advice. There will be plenty of walk up seats available.

snajik
29th April 2010, 06:04 PM
Don't waste a booking fee by buying a ticket is my advice. There will be plenty of walk up seats available.

Yeah, ta, but I guess as forming part of a birthday present that option may not work in this instance. I'll probably be needing something tangible to give them.

Swansongster
29th April 2010, 07:37 PM
Anywhere in the Southern Stand is great. I think you can book seats on level 2 (?). If not 1st few rows of top deck are great too. Depends if you like the goal square, the pocket or the wing. Get in early, use the MCG map on ticketek site to spot your section, ring through to the call centre and ask for 1st or 2nd row somewhere in your preferred area.

Alternatively, the Swans cheer squad gathers under the Ponsford Stand behind goal. Not sure what reserved seating arrangements are for Ponsford.

The G is an awesome experience. Those Tiges fans are forlornly loyal so there will be plenty of them around and you can count on 15-20,000 Swans fans to back up your "ball" calls (especially as we will be top of table)

Happy birthday to your girls.

cheersquadsteve
29th April 2010, 07:56 PM
reserved seating on the second or third level in the ponsford stand if you want elevated seating, you will get the sun in your eyes if your seats are in the southern stand punt road end
thats if there is any sun around early july

cruiser
29th April 2010, 08:26 PM
Don't waste a booking fee by buying a ticket is my advice. There will be plenty of walk up seats available. Yeah, just buy general admission at the MCG for about $21 each and take your pic in the GA areas. I prefer Ponsford Stand myself, although both Olympic and Great Southern Stands are good. Really, there will be heaps of good GA seats available, even if there's a 40,000+ crowd.

Just saw your post about a tangible present. In that case, if you dont mind paying more, the middle tear in the Ponsford Stand is fabulous. Great view and PADDED seats.

snajik
29th April 2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone. This has been more than helpful. Plenty to work with here. Cheers.

dimelb
29th April 2010, 10:45 PM
For GA I like the new Olympic Stand. Great view from the front of the top deck from goalposts right around to wing and has the best coffee bar in the MCG.

goswannie14
29th April 2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah, just buy general admission at the MCG for about $21 each and take your pic in the GA areas. I prefer Ponsford Stand myself, although both Olympic and Great Southern Stands are good. Really, there will be heaps of good GA seats available, even if there's a 40,000+ crowd.

Just saw your post about a tangible present. In that case, if you dont mind paying more, the middle tear in the Ponsford Stand is fabulous. Great view and PADDED seats.I must agree with Cruiser on this one, he put me on to it, the middle tier is very good, as are the seats.

j s
30th April 2010, 01:50 PM
I think there's an After Match function for members following this game. If so it will be on Level 2 of the Ponsford so possibly another reason for sitting there.

Primmy
30th April 2010, 08:40 PM
Well, thanks everyone - I finally have some definitive information to work on myself next time I go. The one and only time I went to the MCG was at a game against Collingwood and tickiteccy put me on the aisle next to their cheer squad. ..... need I say more.

dimelb
30th April 2010, 09:11 PM
Well, thanks everyone - I finally have some definitive information to work on myself next time I go. The one and only time I went to the MCG was at a game against Collingwood and tickiteccy put me on the aisle next to their cheer squad. ..... need I say more.
the horror, the horror!

Dalai Lama
1st May 2010, 09:42 AM
do not try and jump the fence - this causes distress to security staff and the leap required is quite sizable!

j s
1st May 2010, 11:00 AM

For Collingwood home games the Ponsford Stand (since the rebuilding) is their "Members Stand" so it surprises me the sold tickets to Foreigners. Fast Eddie will do anything for a buck I guess.