PDA

View Full Version : Last night I was pissed and thought "no, he didn't"

swallows22
2nd May 2010, 06:43 PM
Recorded the game on Foxtel last night. Just watched the re-play. And at the end I could swear that Jason Dunstall said " it was a good/great win to the Saints. Please tell me that I am still "pissed" or he goes down as incompetent. Imagine calling a game for two/three hours and he did not have a clue who won.

swans_premiers
2nd May 2010, 07:08 PM
yea i heard that too

sidswan
2nd May 2010, 07:12 PM
Yes thats what he said......just a slip of the tongue

cruiser
2nd May 2010, 07:13 PM
Dunstall is so obsessed with Hawthorn that I am beginning to suspect he knows almost nothing about any of the other teams.

swansrule100
2nd May 2010, 07:40 PM
he did... but i have to say i quite like dunstall as a commentator, i like lynch but geez his lisp drives me crazy

Big Al
2nd May 2010, 07:54 PM
Recorded the game on Foxtel last night. Just watched the re-play. And at the end I could swear that Jason Dunstall said " it was a good/great win to the Saints. Please tell me that I am still "pissed" or he goes down as incompetent. Imagine calling a game for two/three hours and he did not have a clue who won.

Sounds like you've never made a mistake in your life. Incompetence can be levelled at someone who makes constant errors and not one slip the tongue as is the case here.

swallows22
2nd May 2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you've never made a mistake in your life. Incompetence can be levelled at someone who makes constant errors and not one slip the tongue as is the case here.

Holier than thou!!!!!!!!!

Triple B
Imagine calling a game for two/three hours and he did not have a clue who won.

Imagine thinking it was anything but a slip of the tongue. :rolleyes:

Big Al
Holier than thou!!!!!!!!!

Huh:rolleyes:

stellation
2nd May 2010, 08:24 PM
Fair enough slip to make, if anything it's more a shock that nobody pulled him up on it (haven't watched the TV coverage so for all I know somebody did).

alison.z
2nd May 2010, 08:46 PM
Fair enough slip to make, if anything it's more a shock that nobody pulled him up on it (haven't watched the TV coverage so for all I know somebody did).

It was literally the last line of the telecast and they immediately cut away so definitely no chance of anyone pulling him up or even him correcting himself - kind of annoying but just a slip of the tongue i'd say!

lwoggardner
2nd May 2010, 09:02 PM
Slip of the tongue, which probably wouldn't be so noticeable if they didn't also get the player's names wrong so often.

Had a similar moment at the ground last night. Listening to the MMM call and heard Luffy go round the grounds with "Essendon 35, Bombers 19"...

Jewels
2nd May 2010, 09:05 PM
He's paid bloody good money to commentate these games and I don't think a slip of the tongue is acceptable.
This call is hot on the heals of last weeks dreadful call where all the commentators, over and over again, called Jarrad McVeigh "Mark" and then Leigh Colbert said our club doctor was Nathan Higgins.
Sorry but no, unacceptable.

Big Al
2nd May 2010, 09:31 PM
He's paid bloody good money to commentate these games and I don't think a slip of the tongue is acceptable.
This call is hot on the heals of last weeks dreadful call where all the commentators, over and over again, called Jarrad McVeigh "Mark" and then Leigh Colbert said our club doctor was Nathan Higgins.

So commentators aren't allowed human errors because they get paid a lot. :rolleyes:

If they make constant errors then yes that is unacceptable but a simple error should be viewed as just that. We are all
human and we ALL make mistakes.

stellation
2nd May 2010, 09:34 PM
It was literally the last line of the telecast and they immediately cut away so definitely no chance of anyone pulling him up or even him correcting himself - kind of annoying but just a slip of the tongue i'd say!

Then I think that's perfectly fine, no reason to hang him for it.

Big Al
2nd May 2010, 09:37 PM
Slip of the tongue, which probably wouldn't be so noticeable if they didn't also get the player's names wrong so often.

Had a similar moment at the ground last night. Listening to the MMM call and heard Luffy go round the grounds with "Essendon 35, Bombers 19"...

Sounds like with the way they played that Hawthorn wasn't in the contest so that score is probably accurate.;)

bloodboy
2nd May 2010, 09:53 PM
I don't care about the slip, but the commentary was pi$$ing me off last nite just because Dunstall was constantly having a whinge on Fevola's behalf about the frees he wasn't getting...they almost sounded like they were barracking for the Lions in the box. I never heard any commentators whinging on Barry Hall's/Tony Lockett's behalf. The umpires get a LOT wrong, I know that...but it happens both ways Piggy!

Damien
2nd May 2010, 10:01 PM
I don't overly like Dunstall as a footy "opinion" giver, he has a massive conflict of interest, but in the end it's up to his employer to manage that properly I guess, but Fox Sports fails often when it comes to that (example, Fox Sports News Express had him and Liam Pickering on to discuss AFL the night before the MRP were going to look at Buddy Franklin's possible report the other week. A Hawthorn board member and Liam is Buddy's manager, how on earth can you get a fair opinion??)

Anyway, other than that he is knowledgable enough about football and I don't mind him on non Hawthorn games at all, and despite a slip of the tongue, his post match review on Fox Sports News was glowing.

swansrule100
2nd May 2010, 10:03 PM

they should stop doing it live hey could write the commentry that way

ROK Lobster
2nd May 2010, 10:30 PM
@@@@. Where is the death penalty thread...

dimelb
2nd May 2010, 10:37 PM
Come on people,lighten up. I LOVE slips of the tongue/pen/whatever. My favourite is the newspaper report that said "Queen Victoria passed across Westminster Bridge and over the hundreds assembled in barges below", except that the a in passed was replaced by an i. Enjoy!
Jason probably wants the Saints to win if the Hawks can't.

Bas
2nd May 2010, 10:51 PM
Look the real concern here is why was Swallows22 drunk. Forget the commentators we should help our own RWO's if they are having difficulty.

Therefore I offer my services to show you how to drink beers and other alcohol without getting drunk.

First of all:

1. Plan alcohol free days. My next one is in June, followed buy one in August.
2. Eat food when drinking. Family bucket of KFC always does the trick.
3. Drink in moderation. Limit your drinks to four a night. I drink from a bucket, but only four.
4. Drink in the presence of a very ugly woman (or man). The moment she/he starts looking good, you know you have had too much to drink.

P.S Rule No 4 was what got us through going out before random breath testing days. It works. It saved our lives.

Swallows22 if drinking is a problem, call me and I'll come round and drink it for you. If you can't sacrifice yourself for someone else, then what is this world coming to.

ScottH
2nd May 2010, 10:51 PM
There were many slips last night. We were wondering which game the commentators were watching at some points.

My fav comment was in regards to the holding the jumper by LRT.
"looked like he was water skiing".

Damien
2nd May 2010, 11:03 PM
Come on people,lighten up. I LOVE slips of the tongue/pen/whatever. My favourite is the newspaper report that said "Queen Victoria passed across Westminster Bridge and over the hundreds assembled in barges below", except that the a in passed was replaced by an i. Enjoy!
Jason probably wants the Saints to win if the Hawks can't.

haha yeah I do enjoy a good slip up. The Mercury Newspaper in Hobart did well in 2005 after our Geelong Semi win. Photo Caption: "Nick Davis after scoring the winning goal in last night's cu_t throat final" (n being the missing letter for any of you hungover haha)

Cardinal
2nd May 2010, 11:05 PM
I was watching the Dogs v Saints game and the same thing happened. I changed channel for the last 10 minutes of the game and then flicked back to hear the commentater say "it was a good win for the Saints". there paid professionals and I don't know how they can get it so wrong. No way the Dogs could lose, they were in complete control.