PDA

View Full Version : Swans V Cats

Pages : [1] 2

swantastic
2nd May 2010, 07:10 PM
Bugger (http://http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93465/default.aspx)

swans_premiers
2nd May 2010, 07:13 PM
Good. We can beat them at pretty much full strength and get the respect we deserve.

Don't be scared by today's effort. They beat port by 95 points 3 weeks ago then went out the next week and lost by 40 odd. Let's just hope our injured boys from last night can get up and we will take it up to them. I sense a gary Rohan debut if a moore, hanneberry etc is out. Carlton really exposed them with pace.

ROK Lobster
2nd May 2010, 07:15 PM
Bugger (http://http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93465/default.aspx)Hmmn...

Ablett, Scarlett set for return against Swans - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93465/default.aspx)

swans_premiers
2nd May 2010, 07:33 PM
Also is Mcglynn back this week?

31 hard at it
2nd May 2010, 07:37 PM
I think a few of the cats will have very sore hands and bruised feet after their effort today. (Based on the number of kicks and handballs they got)
A training run that lasts a full 2 1/2 hours may be their undoing .??

Swans have had a day to get over the heavy work of last night.

Then again this is where a really good side stands up .!

Jewels
2nd May 2010, 08:53 PM
I have very high hopes for this season and think a top 4 possie is a big chance, but I think we just got to bashed up last night to do it next week. I know we have good depth this year, but I think to many of the boys will still be sore and sorry.
If we were at home I'd give us a chance, but at the Cattery, no way.

2nd May 2010, 08:56 PM
Bring em on !!!

Lets see where we are at.

liz
2nd May 2010, 09:00 PM
I think it is slightly advantageous to us that they played against the witches hats this week. Hopefully they will have forgotten about what it is like to play under pressure.

DeadlyAkkuret
2nd May 2010, 09:06 PM
Interesting to note they've only beaten poor sides this year, wins against the Hawks, Bombers, Power and Tigers is hardly breathtaking stuff. They were tested by the Dockers and Blues and lost those games, but they weren't played at the cattery so we've got an uphill battle next weekend.

Robbo
2nd May 2010, 09:18 PM
Bring it on. What a fantastic challenge.

Bloody Hell
2nd May 2010, 09:21 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that Ablett was rested with the game against us in mind. If they were playing anyone other than the Tiges I'm sure he would have played.

Bloody Hell
2nd May 2010, 09:23 PM
I think it is slightly advantageous to us that they played against the witches hats this week. Hopefully they will have forgotten about what it is like to play under pressure.
The same happened to us after we played against them....thank god it was only the Roos.

ugg
2nd May 2010, 09:36 PM
If we get within 5 goals I'll be happy. Big question mark over who takes Johnson and Chappy? (Thankfully Bevan is not in the team this time)

Damien
2nd May 2010, 09:52 PM

Yes they are my thoughts also. Today was a little too easy for them and we are a team that reacts well to big challenges, going to be hard, but we are a chance.

cruiser
2nd May 2010, 09:58 PM
I think it is slightly advantageous to us that they played against the witches hats this week. Hopefully they will have forgotten about what it is like to play under pressure. I was saying similar to a mate. The Cats have had an easy win after a loss so I'm happy to be playing them next weekend. It's a pity it's at Skilled and not in Sydney but I'm really looking forward to the challenge, to see our boys really tested. Bring it on!! (I'm gonna be up on the Gold Coast next weekend and am hoping that i'll be able to watch it).

swansrule100
2nd May 2010, 10:00 PM
i got a feeling we will beat geelong, but then will probably lose to the dogs once the world decides we are great

ShockOfHair
2nd May 2010, 10:19 PM
Interesting to note they've only beaten poor sides this year, wins against the Hawks, Bombers, Power and Tigers is hardly breathtaking stuff. They were tested by the Dockers and Blues and lost those games, but they weren't played at the cattery so we've got an uphill battle next weekend.

Good point DA. Every single commentary on the Swans prior to yesterday referenced that we'd only beaten bottom sides. No-one seems to have noticed the Cats' record. The 5 sides beaten by Geelong have won just 4 games between them.

Tim Lane points out the Cats have won just 11 of their past 17 matches (excluding today's game). They'd won 55 of their previous 58.
Pack smells blood in great Cat hunt (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pack-smells-blood-in-great-cat-hunt-20100501-u0bj.html)

Statistically, they're vulnerable!

Statistically, of course, they also haven't lost at Skilled since 2007, and we haven't beaten them there since 1999. I still reckon we're a chance.

hot potato
2nd May 2010, 11:52 PM
Kirky will believe we're a chance. Bomber thinks we're a chance. We are definitely a chance.

Hp

dimelb
3rd May 2010, 12:00 AM
If we get within 5 goals I'll be happy. Big question mark over who takes Johnson and Chappy? (Thankfully Bevan is not in the team this time)
Smith and Jack? What do you reckon?

Franad
3rd May 2010, 12:23 AM
We going to kick some serious but this week

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd May 2010, 12:38 AM
But this week what?

Matty10
3rd May 2010, 01:46 AM
But this week what?

...I hope that doesn't lead to a bad case of the post-first-post blues.

Spellcheck aside I like the enthusiasm. I feel a bit nervous about this match myself. I am looking forward to the contest, but am not confident that we will win. The Swans have been a surprise packet so far this year - I hope that it continues this week.

eggbeater
3rd May 2010, 07:14 AM
Seaby Out, Currie in?

McGlynn back in perhaps? For who?

ScottH
3rd May 2010, 08:59 AM

Smith definitely, but I hope not Jack.

Maybe Marty, or Tadhg.

Jack is more damaging up the ground.

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 09:41 AM
According to Bomber in the Hun:
"We played well and we played the sort of footy we wanted to play and I really look forward to playing Sydney because they are a good hard, physical team who have a lot of spirit," he said.

"They are playing as good as that team can possibly play. . ."

That's dissing us. I'd think there's a lot of improvement left in the Swans playing group.

andyn
3rd May 2010, 10:44 AM

Jack would normally take Ablett wouldn't he?

ugg
3rd May 2010, 10:58 AM
With not much success last time. I'd put Smith on Ablett, and let Jack run free to do his own thing. Their 3 talls (Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly) will be covered by our 3 tall defenders (Reg, LRT and Teddy) which means 2 of Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly or Malceski will have to match up on Johnson and Chapman. Mattner on Chapman and Malceski on Johnson perhaps?

T-bag
3rd May 2010, 11:01 AM
"They are playing as good as that team can possibly play. . ."

That's dissing us. I'd think there's a lot of improvement left in the Swans playing group.

That should be quoted, photocopied, and stuck on the locker of every single player at the Swans. With a big Bull@@@@! stamped over the top of it

Matty10
3rd May 2010, 11:10 AM
With not much success last time. I'd put Smith on Ablett, and let Jack run free to do his own thing. Their 3 talls (Mooney, Hawkins and Podsiadly) will be covered by our 3 tall defenders (Reg, LRT and Teddy) which means 2 of Mattner, Shaw, Kennelly or Malceski will have to match up on Johnson and Chapman. Mattner on Chapman and Malceski on Johnson perhaps?

I think Johnson and Chapman are real worries for us - in fact their whole forward line is pretty dangerous - I am not sure that we have the cattle to beat them if their midfield gets on top. All five of those Geelong players you listed are good on a lead, if their ball carriers are given space and time through the centre we are stuffed. It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff approach this game.

Captain
3rd May 2010, 11:19 AM
Mooney - LRT
Pods - Grundy
Hawkins - Ted
Johnson - Smith
Chapman - Kennelly
Ablett - McVeigh
Bartel - Kirk

andyn
3rd May 2010, 11:21 AM
It's a case of what Geelong will turn up. I watched them lose to Melbourne and thought 'yes, cats era finally coming to an end like we've been predicting (or should I say hoping for).' It is true Richmond are probably closer to our reserves than any other team in the AFL, but watching a weakened Cats team carve up yesterday, with Scarlett and Ablett set to return next week, does give you a lot to think about. I'm glad we weren't playing them yesterday.

If I've had a criticism of the Cats over the past few years it would have to be that they are sometimes all class with less passion.

Heart can win us this game, but we need to rattle them early, get the crowd quiet and hopefully some of their stars will go into their shells. I wanted to be 7 and 3 at least after the Hawks game and we're on track for that. This was a game that I'd afforded to lose simply because nobody has beaten them at Skilled since 2007, so for that reason I'm seeing this as a bonus chance.

All depends on how we pull up over the next few days. They say day two after a big game is the hardest, so let's see who is standing after today.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd May 2010, 11:22 AM
A little birdie tells me we should be thinking of a long-term replacement for Seaby as his ankle problem is that it's broken and will be announced later today

ugg
3rd May 2010, 11:27 AM
Mooney - LRT
Pods - Grundy
Hawkins - Ted
Johnson - Smith
Chapman - Kennelly
Ablett - McVeigh
Bartel - Kirk

Kirk's latched onto Selwood the past 4 times we've played. Selwood plays almost exclusively in the midfield whereas Bartel can be situated on either half-back or half-forward so Selwood would be the better matchup for Kirk.

mocaholic
3rd May 2010, 11:29 AM
Good point DA. Every single commentary on the Swans prior to yesterday referenced that we'd only beaten bottom sides. No-one seems to have noticed the Cats' record. The 5 sides beaten by Geelong have won just 4 games between them.
Just to point out we haven't been anybody above us either...

mocaholic
3rd May 2010, 11:37 AM
Mooney - LRT
Pods - Grundy
Hawkins - Ted
Johnson - Smith
Chapman - Kennelly
Ablett - McVeigh
Bartel - Kirk
in my view:
Grundy - Mooney (further up the ground better for Reg)
LRT - Hawkins (The twin towers. Hello? Statue?)
Pods - Teddy (mobility and speed on the lead)
Johnson - Kennelly (whilst it would be better to play Mattner on him to nullify him, I reckon put Tiger on him and we play out through him - Johnson not know for defensive skills)
Chapman - Mattner (we're going to lose this contest probably, Mattner will probably do better as he's better in the air)
Ablett - McVeigh / Jack to rotate (again, we'll need to run off him. The cats rucks / onballers really look after Guddy too)
Selwood - Kirk (good tough match-up)
Bartel - Smiff (will be interesting! Smiff to learn a lot.)
Ling - Goodes (I don't think we'll have much choice here)

Please please please I hope Corey doesn't play. I'm less concerned with Scarlett!

hammo
3rd May 2010, 11:46 AM
Roos would be better off ignoring the Geelong-Richmond tape altogether and refer to the Carlton game. It's a cliche but defensive matchups will take care of themselves if we're on top in midfield.

To beat Geelong we will need to beat their midfield, I don't think breaking even is enough. Carlton showed the importance of speed against them so I think Rohan is just about a shoo in to debut this week.

SwansFan1972
3rd May 2010, 11:49 AM
Just to point out we haven't been anybody above us either...

Hopefully there won't be any opportunities to change that stat in coming weeks! :)

Cats mids look to have lost a step or two in pace, while it is undeniable we've picked up a lot in that area. The voodoo dung-heap that passes for a footy stadium at Kardinia Park is the biggest hurdle to overcome - play this game anywhere else and it would be regarded by all as a much more even contest.

Coaches need to get in the player's heads that it is just another ground - and they gotta lose there sometime! With Bomber's backhander about playing as good as we can possibly play, it would be good to smack down that arrogance (or maybe it is a bit of false bravado) this week! I reckon Bomber has a few concerns with his team not travelling as well as he'd like - and the Gazza distraction keeps em dangling week to week.

Will be interesting to see if (a) Gazza does go to GC, and if so (b) whether the cats will fracture from within as a result.

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 11:50 AM
Roos would be better off ignoring the Geelong-Richmond tape altogether and refer to the Carlton game. It's a cliche but defensive matchups will take care of themselves if we're on top in midfield.

To beat Geelong we will need to beat their midfield, I don't think breaking even is enough. Carlton showed the importance of speed against them so I think Rohan is just about a shoo in to debut this week.

We certainly made the Brions look slow last weekend. I'm still trying to adapt to our speed - does Foxtel have a slow motion option so it's like watching a normal Swans game?

swansrob
3rd May 2010, 11:56 AM
A little birdie tells me we should be thinking of a long-term replacement for Seaby as his ankle problem is that it's broken and will be announced later today

Who comes in? I would think Pyke probably; was BOG on the weekend in the ruck. Maybe Currie?

goswannie14
3rd May 2010, 12:22 PM
We certainly made the Brions look slow last weekend. I'm still trying to adapt to our speed - does Foxtel have a slow motion option so it's like watching a normal Swans game?
You could just watch a St Kilda game and forget about the black in their jumper.

Trickster
3rd May 2010, 12:29 PM
i got a feeling we will beat geelong, but then will probably lose to the dogs once the world decides we are great

Not going to lose to the Dogs, Bradshaw will quietly and calmly out class BBB and Aker.
We just need to keep the injuries down and sent the boys to Manuka wearing healmets jst in case BBB gets frustrated

Dalai Lama
3rd May 2010, 01:18 PM
Geelong - Forecast for Sunday

Sunny. Winds northwesterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h.

Mostly sunny. Min 9 Max 19

Nice weather for Ducks!

ScottH
3rd May 2010, 01:24 PM

:(

Dud recruit of the year!!

I guess it opens the door for Pyke (assuming Seaby goes on the LTI) or Currie.

neilfws
3rd May 2010, 01:24 PM
Let's see what the press are saying:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/in-form-swans-face-tough-test-20100502-u1gy.html

OK - let's not see what the press are saying...not sure why they even bothered running that one...

Bas
3rd May 2010, 01:42 PM
It would have to be a small break because he was on the bench for most of the game and on the sideline at fulltime, on crutches but nothing on his ankle. Wasn't strapped or anything. Did look swollen through the binoculars but not overly.

Broken bone is better than a torn ligament.

We could call Pyke the "Mountie" and have a Mountie-Mummy combination. Don't anyone call him "Mountain" though :eek:

CJK
3rd May 2010, 02:19 PM
Let's see what the press are saying:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/in-form-swans-face-tough-test-20100502-u1gy.html

OK - let's not see what the press are saying...not sure why they even bothered running that one...

Information overload :|

giant
3rd May 2010, 02:41 PM
in my view:
Grundy - Mooney (further up the ground better for Reg)
LRT - Hawkins (The twin towers. Hello? Statue?)
Pods - Teddy (mobility and speed on the lead)
Johnson - Kennelly (whilst it would be better to play Mattner on him to nullify him, I reckon put Tiger on him and we play out through him - Johnson not know for defensive skills)
Chapman - Mattner (we're going to lose this contest probably, Mattner will probably do better as he's better in the air)
Ablett - McVeigh / Jack to rotate (again, we'll need to run off him. The cats rucks / onballers really look after Guddy too)
Selwood - Kirk (good tough match-up)
Bartel - Smiff (will be interesting! Smiff to learn a lot.)
Ling - Goodes (I don't think we'll have much choice here)

Please please please I hope Corey doesn't play. I'm less concerned with Scarlett!

This looks better to me. Will be tempted to play Goodes at CHF to negate Ling. Match committee has a big week to get the match ups right.

Red
3rd May 2010, 02:50 PM

I like this idea.

His ressies form warrants selection and his speed will be more than useful as you say. Plus all his family & friends can get along to watch his debut, which would be special for the boy and give him extra impetus.

Question 1) can Jesse carry the 2nd ruck duties? I haven't seen my copy of Sat's game yet but by all accounts he went ok. I'm sure he's got the tank to ruck & rest in the FP.

Question 2) who makes way for MyGlynn?

Bleed Red Blood
3rd May 2010, 03:30 PM
Seaby out for 3 months, terrible news. Poor fella, he shoulve been praying harder.
So Pyke, Crusher Currie or Jesse White?

Robbo
3rd May 2010, 03:33 PM
Sauce?

hammo
3rd May 2010, 03:34 PM
Seaby out for 3 months, terrible news. Poor fella, he shoulve been praying harder.

Yeah shocking news for our season really, but it's an opportunity for someone.

I'd go Crusher because he offers more around the ground. And he has to be given an opportunity sometime. Pyke can't kick under pressure.

alison.z
3rd May 2010, 03:38 PM
Good old Facebook!!

CJK
3rd May 2010, 03:40 PM
And on Twitter - but it's clearly the same bloke/broad doing the updates.

Bad news for Seabs. We're losing blokes at a rate of one per game.

Bas
3rd May 2010, 03:49 PM

Could have been worse but at least he will be back with plenty of time before the finals.

Gives Pyke and Currie a chance.

liz
3rd May 2010, 03:50 PM
Two weeks ago I was feeling a little smug about how well we were going injury wise, at least relative to some other teams. But long term injuries to Bolts and now Seabs have put pay to that.

Bright side is that Currie should get a chance to show if he might have the makings of a senior ruckman. They were pumping him up over pre-season but it looked like he might not get a chance. Pyke might get the initial nod, especially this week, but surely they will give Currie a taste of it sometime in a three month window?

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 03:55 PM
Two weeks ago I was feeling a little smug about how well we were going injury wise, at least relative to some other teams. But long term injuries to Bolts and now Seabs have put pay to that.

Bright side is that Currie should get a chance to show if he might have the makings of a senior ruckman. They were pumping him up over pre-season but it looked like he might not get a chance. Pyke might get the initial nod, especially this week, but surely they will give Currie a taste of it sometime in a three month window?

The Swans page pumping up Pyke suggests that they were getting us ready for the Mounty getting the nod. It'd be great to see him come in and do well now he's had a lot more AFL experience. One really big ruckman and a really mobile big ruckman could be entertaining.

Snake
3rd May 2010, 03:56 PM
Very sad news for Seaby, but when the old door closes a window opens, Mike Pikes big bodied frame will do well against the Catters, me thinks........

Very Sad: http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93517/default.aspx

ugg
3rd May 2010, 04:00 PM
Pyke played in the corresponding game last year. The game apparently where Mumford's performance twigged the Swans coaches' interest in him.

hammo
3rd May 2010, 04:00 PM
Currie doesn't even rate a mention from Roos.

Seaby to miss 12 weeks with ankle injury - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93514/default.aspx)

goswannie14
3rd May 2010, 04:10 PM
A little birdie tells me we should be thinking of a long-term replacement for Seaby as his ankle problem is that it's broken and will be announced later todayConfirmed on the Swans FB page, out for 3 months.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd May 2010, 04:30 PM
Confirmed on the Swans FB page, out for 3 months.

Thanks. I'd like a six-pack of Carlton Draught please

Bas
3rd May 2010, 04:32 PM
Unskilled stadium is a long ground. Do they keep the same structure and bring in Pyke or change the structure with White to ruck and a running McGlynn to come in.

If Hana doesn't come up then they would bring both Pyke and McGlynn in.

Bas
3rd May 2010, 04:33 PM

Could have been worse - 12 weeks. 3 months sounds shorter.

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 04:35 PM
Unskilled stadium is a long ground. Do they keep the same structure and bring in Pyke or change the structure with White to ruck and a running McGlynn to come in.

If Hana doesn't come up then they would bring both Pyke and McGlynn in.

For the good teams I think we really need the job that White is doing as a foil for Braddy and Goodes. The three way match up seems to have most teams beaten - especially with some clever crumbing (come back Ben). While White may not have kicked many goals he's doing an amazing job of leaving Braddy alone in the goal square to battle just his own opponent.

ugg
3rd May 2010, 04:37 PM
Could have been worse - 12 weeks. 3 months sounds shorter.
3 months would be 13 weeks.

hammo
3rd May 2010, 04:43 PM
It would seem strange to me if White was moved permanently to the ruck. He's trained all pre season as a forward and while he's not kicking goals, the forward line as a group is functioning well. Why mess with a winning formula?

When to the MRP decisions come in? There could be a few more outs yet.

JF_Bay22_SCG
3rd May 2010, 04:55 PM
Agree completely. Arrogant tools down there I swear. :rolleyes:

JF

stellation
3rd May 2010, 04:57 PM
3 months would be 13 weeks.

Nerd.

DST
3rd May 2010, 05:09 PM
It's one of the longest grounds in the AFL, therefore we really need to have White play forward as a link man to Bradshaw and have Goodes push up higher.

Therefore, they will replace like for like and bring in another ruckman.

Interesting to see if Rohan get's a game as well, would be a good match up as a running defender for Stevie Johnston to make him accountable.

DST

swansrob
3rd May 2010, 05:13 PM
Pyke in for Seaby, Rohan in for Hanners (if injured)?

Jeffers1984
3rd May 2010, 05:16 PM
Barlow was the standby emergency last weekend if that means anything.

ShockOfHair
3rd May 2010, 06:06 PM

I didn't know whether to believe your post or your handle.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd May 2010, 06:18 PM
I didn't know whether to believe your post or your handle.

Keeping things in balance is important to me

stellation
3rd May 2010, 06:29 PM
Keeping things in balance is important to me

I can picture it now - "Hey hot lips, easy on the lemonade and heavy on the pimms!"

chalbilto
3rd May 2010, 06:29 PM

Certainly hope so Liz. Maybe not this coming wekend but perhaps Saturday week against the Bulldogs.

i'm-uninformed2
3rd May 2010, 06:33 PM
I can picture it now - "Hey hot lips, easy on the lemonade and heavy on the pimms!"

I could certainly imagine Bruce Campbell saying that!

sydneyswans1989
3rd May 2010, 06:45 PM
Bolton cleared by the MRP. Channel 10

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd May 2010, 06:54 PM
Yay, what about Mummy?

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 07:24 PM
Yay, what about Mummy?

Mummy was not even considered. B1 has 93.75 against his record - if he takes an early guilty plea.

Goose Maguire gets a week off for rough conduct against Jude.

JudesaGun
3rd May 2010, 07:58 PM
Bolton has been cleared, whilst Seaby is out for a long while. Assuming everyone else gets up (Hanners, Moore and Teddy), my changes for this week are:

Out: Seaby

In: Rohan or McGlynn

We should be following the Carlton game closely. The answer is speed, speed, speed - particularly up front. On this basis, Jetta gets another week and the Rooster or McGynn comes in. White can cover for Seaby (at least this week).

Thoughts?

hammo
3rd May 2010, 07:59 PM
Mummy was not even considered. B1 has 93.75 against his record - if he takes an early guilty plea.

Goose Maguire gets a week off for rough conduct against Jude.

If Jude is going to miss because of his concussion he should contest the charge. 93.75 carry over would mean he only has to breathe on someone to be suspended next time, and who knows when that will be (we don't want another HallGate). So if he is to miss a game, might as well serve a suspension as well.

cruiser
3rd May 2010, 08:05 PM
If Jude is going to miss because of his concussion he should contest the charge. 93.75 carry over would mean he only has to breathe on someone to be suspended next time, and who knows when that will be (we don't want another HallGate). So if he is to miss a game, might as well serve a suspension as well. He might have his eye on the Brownlow ;)

sydneyswans1989
3rd May 2010, 08:27 PM
INS: Mcglynn, Rohan, Pyke
OUTS: Jetta, Seaby, (bolton or hannerbury might struggle to get up for the game)

DST
3rd May 2010, 08:56 PM
INS: Mcglynn, Rohan, Pyke
OUTS: Jetta, Seaby, (bolton or hannerbury might struggle to get up for the game)

Could be pretty close to the money on those changes.

With Seaby out, I don't think we can afford to play White in the ruck on such a long ground so another ruckman to come in is probably correct. This allows Bradshaw deep, White at CHF and Goodes to roam further up the field and help with their on ball players.

Rohan to give Jetta a rest is probably on the cards and with Rohan playing in defence in the ressies it allows us to use him on Stevie Johnson who I can't see a match-up for at this stage with C Bolton out.

McGlynn will come back in and that could be for either of Hannaberry (if injured), J Bolton (if injured) or Moore (who might be injured as well.

DST

Peace
3rd May 2010, 09:44 PM
i really cant see Jetta being taken out.... ESPECIALLY on a nice long ground like skilled.

cruiser
3rd May 2010, 09:59 PM
i really cant see Jetta being taken out.... ESPECIALLY on a nice long ground like skilled. Good point. He should thrive with all that space to bolt in.

Peace
3rd May 2010, 10:06 PM
just let some roo's loose on the field and he will go nuts ;)

Bas
3rd May 2010, 10:10 PM
Good point. He should thrive with all that space to bolt in.

Totally agree.

Reading the Seaby story on AFL website, Roos said he was watching the game on telly. In fact he wasn't watching all the game. I would have thought if he was the main coach, he would have been down at the Cats game. Maybe after last weeks Carlton game, Roos might have thought he would not have learnt anymore by watching them play the toothless tigers.

It's interesting.

liz
3rd May 2010, 10:47 PM
and with Rohan playing in defence in the ressies it allows us to use him on Stevie Johnson who I can't see a match-up for at this stage with C Bolton out.

Rohan has been playing in the backline but in more of an offensive than defensive role. Yes, his attack on contests is great but he's not been playing a man-on-man defensive role. Why would you bring a kid in for his debut and line him up on one of the most mercurial forwards in the game? I agree that Bolton's absence means there is no obvious choice but there are many far more likely than Rohan.

I suspect Mattner will get first crack at Stevie J, with Shaw probably to play on Byrnes. Smith could get the Byrnes job but I suspect he is more likely to be asked to run with someone like James Kelly, who flies under the radar somewhat, surrounded as he is by Ablett, Chapman, Bartel, Selwood and Corey. But he's a pretty good player in his own right and often pops up when others are down.

Goal Sneak
3rd May 2010, 11:01 PM
We need our two best ruckman to give us the best possible chance at winning the clearances. Probably not the best game to bring in Currie, although the possibility of him coming in and having a blinder is not unfathomable.

Can anyone recall how Bradshaw has performed against the Cats in recent times? My guess is that playing with Brown has led to him having little experience being marked by Scarlett. If this is the case, it will be interesting to see how he responds to the challenge of being the go-to forward against a first class defender.

ernie koala
3rd May 2010, 11:15 PM
I see no one is talking about White...IMO he should be dropped, his form has been ordinary at best.
He'll probably hold his spot due to Seaby's injury. But for mine...
Pyke in for Seaby
Rohan in for White
McGlynn in for Bolton ( surely being knocked out twice constitutes a rest?)

hot potato
3rd May 2010, 11:39 PM
Beating the Cats at the Cattery no longer looks so daunting. Following very soft win for them, hard win by Swans.
Swans will be keen to put the crowd to bed early.

hp

Peace
4th May 2010, 12:31 AM
I see no one is talking about White...IMO he should be dropped, his form has been ordinary at best.
He'll probably hold his spot due to Seaby's injury. But for mine...
Pyke in for Seaby
Rohan in for White
McGlynn in for Bolton ( surely being knocked out twice constitutes a rest?)

insanity, you don't make that many changes coming up against a team like geelong unless absolutely necessary. white did well in the ruck and chucking a smaller forward like mcglynn (if fit) in our 50 could make us a little more unpredictable.

i'd be very suprised if roos brings in Pyke for his first game this year against Geelong AT skilled!

Jude will be playing unless his head falls off.

Wardy
4th May 2010, 07:57 AM
I like the fact that this game this coming weekend had been declared "the match of the round"!!! Dwayne Russell uttered those words last night on "The Winners" . We haven't had that kind of top billing where we are part of the main act for quite some time. Bring it on I say!!!

(and I have yet another bottle of wine as the wager with my Cats mad client - I have practically filled his cellar in the past few years - but I hope that this time a bottle comes my way instead!;))

undy
4th May 2010, 11:31 AM
insanity, you don't make that many changes coming up against a team like geelong unless absolutely necessary. white did well in the ruck and chucking a smaller forward like mcglynn (if fit) in our 50 could make us a little more unpredictable.

i'd be very suprised if roos brings in Pyke for his first game this year against Geelong AT skilled!

Jude will be playing unless his head falls off.

Ottens is out, a Pyke/Mummy combo could go quite well.

johnno
4th May 2010, 11:36 AM
Ottens is out, a Pyke/Mummy combo could go quite well.

Yes, have heard this too. Is this true? apparently he's out for 6 weeks.

hammo
4th May 2010, 11:46 AM
Ottens out and Ablett still no certainty

Brad Ottens out for six weeks | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brad-ottens-out-for-six-weeks/story-e6frf9jf-1225861942769)

waterfowl
4th May 2010, 12:00 PM
Ablett remains a big problem, the general opinion is you can't shut him down. Bomber reckoned he played badly against carlton with 33 possessions and a 73% disposal efficiency. He's bigger than he looks and has the ability to constantly break tackles and get handballs away. They all feed off him. Marty is getting the reputation of being the best tackler in the league - I know it would weaken our run out of defense but it would be be good to see how Mattner would go tagging him. HBF wouldn't be the hardest position to fill.

Go Swannies
4th May 2010, 12:06 PM
Ablett remains a big problem, the general opinion is you can't shut him down. Bomber reckoned he played badly against carlton with 33 possessions and a 73% disposal efficiency. He's bigger than he looks and has the ability to constantly break tackles and get handballs away. They all feed off him. Marty is getting the reputation of being the best tackler in the league - I know it would weaken our run out of defense but it would be be good to see how Mattner would go tagging him. HBF wouldn't be the hardest position to fill.

Ablett's core strength is amazing. He just shrugs off tackles that should stick. It's his major attribute. I've been wondering who should go to him if he plays. Marty's not a bad idea as you need speed and strong tackling. Funny how an old Crows thread was saying that Marty was there best tackler all those years ago. He's now gone to another level.

Dave
4th May 2010, 12:09 PM

Brad Ottens out for six weeks | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brad-ottens-out-for-six-weeks/story-e6frf9jf-1225861942769)

That makes me feel a bit better at least.
Looking forward to this one.

giant
4th May 2010, 12:18 PM

Wow, big news - that certainly balances the ledger a lot. Even bigger game for Mummy going head to head with Blake. Selectors may be more tempted now to go with White as the second ruck and add some speed with Rohan.

Go Swannies
4th May 2010, 12:24 PM
Wow, big news - that certainly balances the ledger a lot. Even bigger game for Mummy going head to head with Blake. Selectors may be more tempted now to go with White as the second ruck and add some speed with Rohan.

I really really think we'd be tempting fate to take White out of our forward line to ruck. Maybe it'd be ok for a team that doesn't hit you hard out of defence but the cats have two flags from that.

That's the problem with mid season injuries - it opens up too many options. It's nice to have rucking options. Remember around 2005 or 06 against Port when Roos suggested he might have to step in and ruck as there was noone else and he used to ruck in primary school? We got killed.

ugg
4th May 2010, 12:36 PM
Seaby is out for 3 months. If it was a one or two week deal, then maybe you'd look at plugging the hole in the short term. But with such a long break, we're going to need Pyke/Currie to get a feel for the seniors and that's why one of them should come in against Geelong.

BRISWAN
4th May 2010, 02:55 PM
Seaby for Currie is a no-brainer. Currie played quite well and was tried by Roos during NAB cup matches ahead of Pyke. I get the feeling Roosey might be using Pkye as the smokescreen.

Hannebury is a worry. Dislocations bring back memories of a band-aided Kennelly circa 2008.
He is a great talent with a young body and should be given enought time to recover.

I would favour giving him a break and bringning in McGlynn if he is infact fit.

Would love to see Vespa and Rohan given a run ahead of sacrificing Jude also. Both are showing good form in the Macgoo's and deserve a run.

Please don't play Barlow!!!!

Ted is the only other shaky player in the line-up. Last week was not convincing - some real bad decisions made under pressure - coupled with an ankle strain!!!
His height and our injury toll will probably guarantee his spot for another week though.

I agree with the thoughts of a fellow poster - who mentioned that you can't have too many changes.

Don't get me wrong - I would like to win every game - but the season is long and I see no issue with
using this game to have a real crack by injecting fresh legs and new blood.

So there you have it:

INS
McGlynn replaces bolton
Currie replaces seaby
Vespa named on ext bench
Rohan named on ext bench

OUTS
Seaby Injured
Bolton (Rested)
Hannebury (Rested)
???

liz
4th May 2010, 02:56 PM
I think the lack of Ottens makes White an option, at least for this week. However, by committing Jesse to play back-up ruck, Goodes would be confined to playing forward for most of the game. Would be good to have the option of running Goodes through the midfield for parts of this game.

4th May 2010, 02:59 PM
Bolton only got a reprimand so he's in.

Dalai Lama
4th May 2010, 03:48 PM
just let some roo's loose on the field and he will go nuts ;)

Some Paul Roos?

BSA5
4th May 2010, 03:55 PM
With the news that Ottens is out, I'd be tempted to play White in the ruck (not something I'm a fan of, but with Blake as first ruck, we can get away with it), and bring Rohan in to play in the forward line in a similar role to what he was playing in the preseason. Mummy and White would be able to run off Blake and Simpson/West all day, and Rohan would provide enough height to demand some respect up forward, while we also know how great a tackler he is and how effective it was up forward in the Nab Cup. It would also free up Goodes to spend some time in the midfield, when White is forward.

That's just one option, of course. Pyke and Mummy in the ruck is the obvious way to go, although with Ottens out, Currie might be given the go ahead over Pyke as his lack of physical strength wouldn't be as exposed, but his ability around the ground would come to the fore. Then of course there is McGlynn. Decisions, decisions!

Hartijon
4th May 2010, 04:39 PM
Playing the Cats in the cattery is the hardest challenge of all. Realising this however frees you up quite a bit. The point about not making too many changes is true but it doesn't mean you have to "carry" out of form players and to use Skilled Stadium as a place to run them into form is madness! McGlynn has to come back in,Jude Bolton will be asked if he is right and he will say "Yes",(hard nut that he is) so he is in. Pyke was Best on Ground in the two's so why (apart from prejudice about a Rugby background) would you not pick him as a logical replacement for Seaby? He is the obvious inform replacement. BT says he can't play also so we know he is nearly always wrong! After the All Blacks who would be afraid of Geelong? Teddy played exactly as expected by me against the Lions. His height and points from past heroics will probably save him,otherwise give his spot to Vespa who can play forward or back. We lose height but gain flair and mobility. I would not blood Rohan against the Cats although he comes from Geelong Falcons and might feel very much at home down there.If Hanneberry can't front Rohan could become a candidate.The Swans like to blood players down at Skilled! O'Dwyer,the seemingly forgotten man is still playing well but he must have upset the selectors somehow because he offers a good option as well. As much as I think we can cause an upset, I would be more confident if G Ablett was not playing. It will be good to see the boys with a real challenge and see who stands up and who doesn't.

Claret
4th May 2010, 05:09 PM
Rohan played at a level so far above anybody else in the twos on the weekend it would be hard to leave him out. The Geelong factor maybe the only thing holding them back from giving him a crack.

It is hard not to get too excited about this kid.

Jetta is probably fortunate that his senior experience will work in his favour when the Match Committee sit down to pick a side to face the mature-bodied Geelong players.

CJK
4th May 2010, 05:22 PM
Mike and Red in for Seabs and Hanners

Simple.

BSA5
4th May 2010, 05:30 PM

Simple.

Forgot McGlynn!

CJK
4th May 2010, 05:48 PM
Damn it.

Give Jude a rest for the small fella. Or maybe The Jet, bloke's been a bit quiet recently. Also think that monkey on his back re his first goal is weighing heavily.

Cheer Squad
4th May 2010, 06:29 PM
What we need to beat Geelong is as many fresh sets of fast young legs as we can muster. That's how Fremantle and Carlton beat them - running them off their feet. So that means bringing in Rohan and Vespremi for a bit of a run. Maybe Jetta will finally get to stretch his legs out a bit. And let's hope Hannebery will be OK, because he's very very good.

4th May 2010, 06:31 PM
If McGlynn is fit he is an automatic in.

Rucks - I thought Pyke showed excellent tap skills in the seniors last year and if he's improved further then lets get him in, let's face it, he only needs to give Mummy a rest period each quarter and given his background, he won't be phased about Geelong at Kardinia Park. Don't forget he's got pace as well. White should be left to run around the forward line dragging a defender with him rather than stuffing him up by rucking him again. Currie needs to be dominating in the ressies before getting upgraded to the ones.

Get more pace - Rohan is a very confident young man who also wouldn't be phased about Geelong at Kardinia Park. What better place for him to debut in front of his own home town cheer squad. He has to be considered as a reward for his ressies form. He adds pace and pressure. Jetta must play as the Cats are a little suspect against genuine leg speed.

Lewis Johnston from the ressie watchers reports sounds like he has real football ability and nous, so he shouldn't be far of a spot if we need a tall in the future.

It won't be easy down at Kardinia but let's pick the best replacements, those who are shining in the ressies.

Hartijon
4th May 2010, 06:34 PM
Damn it.

Give Jude a rest for the small fella. Or maybe The Jet, bloke's been a bit quiet recently. Also think that monkey on his back re his first goal is weighing heavily.

Whichever way we go we got an exciting team,thats what makes it a great club to support. I don't mind a number of guys in the two's . Maybe,just maybe the hour of the Moose has arrived!!

Lucky Knickers
4th May 2010, 06:35 PM
On FSN they just said Jude had minor facial surgery and will be right for Freo????

Jewels
4th May 2010, 06:59 PM
Ted is the only other shaky player in the line-up. Last week was not convincing - some real bad decisions made under pressure - coupled with an ankle strain!!!
His height and our injury toll will probably guarantee his spot for another week though.

Teddy played exactly as expected by me against the Lions. His height and points from past heroics will probably save him,otherwise give his spot to Vespa who can play forward or back. We lose height but gain flair and mobility.

What did Teddy do so wrong on Saturday? According to the stats, he had 13 possessions at 92% efficiency (highest in the team) and zero clangers.
I'm not saying he was incredibly, magnificently, fantastic, but I think he did his job well and I'd be stunned if he was dropped.

rojo
4th May 2010, 07:45 PM

Simple.

and McGlynn for Jude.

I so hope that Jude is forced to rest this weekend!

liz
4th May 2010, 07:55 PM
and McGlynn for Jude.

I so hope that Jude is forced to rest this weekend!

Why? Sure, we need runners against Geelong but first and foremost we need players who are going to win the ball. No point having pace and run if all they do all afternoon is run after Ablett, Chapman et al after they've been fed the ball by Selwood, Bartel and friends.

Jude's been in great form this year, both at contests and with his ball usage. If he's not right to play he should be rested but I don't think we'll be a better team for it.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th May 2010, 08:15 PM
On FSN they just said Jude had minor facial surgery and will be right for Freo????

Brisbane play Fremantle, so they weren't talking about Bolton.

Plugger46
4th May 2010, 08:29 PM

It was Maguire. Perhaps they got confused, seeing as the incident happened between the two.

chalbilto
4th May 2010, 08:45 PM
If McGlynn is fit he is an automatic in.

Rucks - I thought Pyke showed excellent tap skills in the seniors last year and if he's improved further then lets get him in, let's face it, he only needs to give Mummy a rest period each quarter and given his background, he won't be phased about Geelong at Kardinia Park. Don't forget he's got pace as well. White should be left to run around the forward line dragging a defender with him rather than stuffing him up by rucking him again. Currie needs to be dominating in the ressies before getting upgraded to the ones.

Get more pace - Rohan is a very confident young man who also wouldn't be phased about Geelong at Kardinia Park. What better place for him to debut in front of his own home town cheer squad. He has to be considered as a reward for his ressies form. He adds pace and pressure. Jetta must play as the Cats are a little suspect against genuine leg speed.

Lewis Johnston from the ressie watchers reports sounds like he has real football ability and nous, so he shouldn't be far of a spot if we need a tall in the future.

It won't be easy down at Kardinia but let's pick the best replacements, those who are shining in the ressies.

Very logical and well thought out. It looks like Hannebery will be out for 1-2 weeks and Rohan would be a great replacement. I also agree with going with Pyke and leaving White in the forwards.

Primmy
4th May 2010, 09:44 PM
This thread is up to 11 pages, and we are still five days away from the game......are we getting excited then?

Primmy
4th May 2010, 09:45 PM
What did Teddy do so wrong on Saturday? According to the stats, he had 13 possessions at 92% efficiency (highest in the team) and zero clangers.
I'm not saying he was incredibly, magnificently, fantastic, but I think he did his job well and I'd be stunned if he was dropped.

You tell em Jewels

Old Royboy
4th May 2010, 09:50 PM
I certainly am excited. Made a late decision to fly down for Mothers day. The only ticket I could get was the old time standing room behind the goals. Last time I stood there Plugger kicked a bag and we won by a mile. I'll take that as an omen.

sydneyswans1989
4th May 2010, 09:54 PM
Herald Sun has indicated Hanners is out for 1-2 weeks with that shoulder injury.

This must mean Rohan will be given the green light to make his debut.

McGlynn has been put down as 1 week but Roos has mentioned he might be right to go depending on how he trains this week.

Matty10
4th May 2010, 10:33 PM

The stats are all well and good, but they can be deceptive. I am a Teddy fan, but he did not adjust very well to the pace of the game on Saturday. I would have to re-watch the game to find specifics, but I recall numerous times where he was very slow to react to the situation in front of him and created more pressure for himself and the team as a result.

I hope he stays in the team, but I also hope that he is able to show marked improvement.

hot potato
4th May 2010, 10:43 PM
Gablett was out till 3 or 4 am in the morning (against rules) at a Logies after party and didn't go watch the team play on the Sunday.
It doesn't appear that he is playing against Sydney.

hp

Robbo
4th May 2010, 11:01 PM
I heard Ablett was expected to play.

Jesse Richards
4th May 2010, 11:58 PM
The stats are all well and good, but they can be deceptive. I am a Teddy fan, but he did not adjust very well to the pace of the game on Saturday. I would have to re-watch the game to find specifics, but I recall numerous times where he was very slow to react to the situation in front of him and created more pressure for himself and the team as a result.

I hope he stays in the team, but I also hope that he is able to show marked improvement.

Maybe Ted was a little slower because he hadn't played in the 1sts since Round 1. Compared with someone like Kennelly he certainly seems slower, but doesn't overrun the ball as much. Craig Bolton's not that quick either, but Ted does some lightning passes to good effect. I think he'll be ok if his ankle is healed.

Jesse Richards
5th May 2010, 12:08 AM
Also, I would like to say a big thankyou to all those who have posted in this thread re who should come in and where to play. Changed my mind several times. Much better understanding as a result, and quietly confident that we have a real chance of winning.

Old Royboy
5th May 2010, 12:13 AM
Having Turnover Ted and his partner in crime "Fumbles" Roberts Thompson together in the backiline is like living on the San Bernadino faultline. One knows that a disaster is going to happen, but not when. Please let it not be this week. One day one of those two will give me a heart attack.

Jesse Richards
5th May 2010, 12:17 AM
Having Turnover Ted and his partner in crime "Fumbles" Roberts Thompson together in the backiline is like living on the San Bernadino faultline. One knows that a disaster is going to happen, but not when. Please let it not be this week. One day one of those two will give me a heart attack.

Probably when they both play really good games in your eyes! :)

Chookbilly
5th May 2010, 12:27 AM
Niiiiiiice

Ottens is out, evens out the loss of Seaby, and makes me feel better about bringing Pyke in.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/injury-shocks-for--cats-demons-20100504-u517.html

Mikenroe
5th May 2010, 01:03 AM
We'll beat the cats this week. Which will start an avalanche of "Is this the end of the Cats era of dominance?" Then they'll talk about us for more than 2 seconds on Footy Classified... Which is a truly great show. Good call bad call?

liz
5th May 2010, 01:19 AM
Craig Bolton's not that quick either

Yes he is. For a player of his height, he has excellent closing speed over short distances. It is one of the attributes that has made him a great one-on-one defender. He may not beat Rohan or Jetta in a 100m sprint but he ain't slow.

Hartijon
5th May 2010, 08:23 AM

Hilarious analogy! Both lovely guys though!

ScottH
5th May 2010, 08:56 AM
This thread is up to 11 pages, and we are still five days away from the game......are we getting excited then?

haha, I've been thinking the same for the last day or so.
Some game threads aren't this long.

Hartijon
5th May 2010, 08:57 AM
Hanneberry's injury should alert us all again to the problem of throwing young bodies against hardened men's bodies. Their legs are usually ok and its the older guys who mostly do Hammy's but so many do damage to their shoulders.Craig Bird last year was a case in point and numerous youngsters end up with tape holding their shoulders in after a season in the AFL. Some never get their confidence back(eg Vogels). Delaying their entry by just one year makes a big difference. As much as I love to see Hanneberry play he is still a kid playing against men and he is going to get smashed sooner or later.You will find Jetta and TDL will be much less likely to get shoulder injuries after a year in the WAFL although I acknowledge it can happen to anyone at any time. Based on the above I do not support the early introduction of Rohan.This guy is a treasure! He needs careful management and he will be a star for years. Let his body harden up first and don't debut him against those huge Geelong guys. They will monster him! There is a big difference getting smashed when your body is hardened and getting smashed when it is still soft.

ScottH
5th May 2010, 08:58 AM

I thought ted was pretty good on the w/e.
The only clangers I recall, were generally when he received the ball under great pressure.
But overall he did well.

Triple B
5th May 2010, 10:49 AM
Hanneberry's injury should alert us all again to the problem...............your body is hardened and getting smashed when it is still soft.

Whilst I'm also of the school that we should give them more time then the typical RWO inmates want, the Hannebery example is not great. That injury could have happened at any level of football, even a kick to kick in the backyard.

ScottH
5th May 2010, 01:24 PM
Whilst I'm also of the school that we should give them more time then the typical RWO inmates want, the Hannebery example is not great. That injury could have happened at any level of football, even a kick to kick in the backyard.

Or Jumping a fence.

alison.z
5th May 2010, 01:34 PM
Or Jumping a fence.

I would have gone with throwing eggs ....

Wardy
5th May 2010, 01:34 PM
Or Jumping a fence.

funny you should say that - my Cats mad client jumped the fence at a park not far from kardina park for a bit of Kick to kick last year with his sone and popped his shoulder - in fact I think that the park was actually in his back yard - so it can happen to anyone, anytime!!! (happy with that Triple B?)

Triple B
5th May 2010, 02:15 PM
funny you should say that - my Cats mad client jumped the fence at kardina park for Kick to kick last year and popped his shoulder - so it can happen to anyone, anytime!!!

Shhhhh.

The SCG trust might be reading.

Wardy
5th May 2010, 02:18 PM
Shhhhh.

The SCG trust might be reading.
bugger I didnt think of that - I will change it then!!!

Wardy
5th May 2010, 02:22 PM
funny you should say that - my Cats mad client jumped the fence at a park not far from Kardina park for a bit of Kick to kick last year with his sone and popped his shoulder - in fact I think that the park was actually in his back yard ;) - so it can happen to anyone, anytime!!! (happy with that Triple B?)

Is that better Triple B?

Big Al
5th May 2010, 02:37 PM
funny you should say that - my Cats mad client jumped the fence at a park not far from kardina park for a bit of Kick to kick last year with his sone and popped his shoulder - in fact I think that the park was actually in his back yard - so it can happen to anyone, anytime!!! (happy with that Triple B?)

Now the councils will close the parks...nice one Wardy.

Wardy
5th May 2010, 02:39 PM
Now the councils will close the parks...nice one Wardy.

@@@@!!! ok it he jumped over his pool fence to retrieve the ball???

JudesaGun
5th May 2010, 03:35 PM
With Hanners out, the changes would have to be:-

IN
McGlynn, Rohan

OUT
Seaby, Hanners

That gives us a hell of a lot of pace on the wings and up forward!

alison.z
5th May 2010, 03:47 PM
I really hope so but think they may go for Pyke as a replacement for Seaby. Rohan may still get a run if McGlynn isn't 100%.

Nich
5th May 2010, 04:06 PM
I'd love to see the Rooster as well but who knows! I hope he does. He's right in the mix!

hammo
5th May 2010, 04:09 PM
Get used to the idea of Pyke playing based on this article... Roos has talked up his chances once again.

Mumford flags his intents - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93683/default.aspx)

Meanwhile, Swans coach Paul Roos said he was leaning towards using rookie Mike Pyke as Mumford's backup during Seaby's absence.

"We just think he's improved significantly ... and we're not talking about a short-term injury," he said.

Go Swannies
5th May 2010, 04:32 PM
yep:

"While Roos did not confirm Pyke's inclusion, the sight of the former Canadian rugby union international running clearance drills with the likes of Brett Kirk, Jude Bolton and Jarrad McVeigh at Tuesday's training session added further weight to the coach's suggestion."

swansrob
5th May 2010, 04:40 PM
I really hope so but think they may go for Pyke as a replacement for Seaby. Rohan may still get a run if McGlynn isn't 100%.

Yep, Pyke is pretty much a certainty. I think McGlynn will be another week, so Rohan is right in the mix to debut this week. I hope he gets a run.

Jewels
5th May 2010, 04:51 PM
Yep, Pyke is pretty much a certainty. I think McGlynn will be another week, so Rohan is right in the mix to debut this week. I hope he gets a run.

Gee, I hope so. I just watched Saturdays game again and watching the lions ranga running around got me a little excited thinking about the prospect of what our ranga could do when he gets out on the paddock.

I think we can take a few risks this week as this will not be a game Roos would have penciled in a prospective win.

ShockOfHair
5th May 2010, 04:54 PM
Pyke looks a cert.

I hope McGlynn's back, but if not either Rohan or Veszpremi in for Hanna. Someone with pace.

undy
5th May 2010, 05:13 PM
Radio (ABC News Radio) reporting that Roos says its almost certainly going to be Pyke rucking rather than White.

Could see Rohan, Pyke and Gopher for Seaby, Hanners & White.

gumby_bolts
5th May 2010, 05:21 PM
Radio (ABC News Radio) reporting that Roos says its almost certainly going to be Pyke rucking rather than White.

In the article on the Swans site mentioned above Roos mentions White being important to the forward structure so would be surprised to see him being left out.

swansrob
5th May 2010, 05:25 PM

Why leave White out?

Primmy
5th May 2010, 05:31 PM
Yay from me when Pyke gets the gig. And The Gopher comes in maybe for Hanners. Why would White be dropped? If you watch the replay carefully and without bias, you would see that he blocks, hustles, intimidates, makes a nusance of himself for all the right reasons and he has surprisingly quick hands. No worries as far as I am concerned. I would not be surprised to see Vespa in for Jetts, or maybe not; but I would be surprised to see the Big Red in at this stage - against Geelong. No, not yet, imo. He is a good'n, but he is still a kid. Hanners was different, they had no choice at the time and he plays a different style of game. Big Red has a couple of months to go imo (not so very humble either).

AND, ORB, have a blinder in Geelong won't you. We expect full coverage. I bow at the feet of the Turn of Phrase King; San Bernadino fault line indeed...

Go Swannies
5th May 2010, 05:45 PM
May I add to Primmy's hopes that ORB has a great time in Catland to the detriment of the Cats' nine lives - or premierships. I head to Paris on Friday for a month so I leave the next few games in the safe stewardship of RWO - don't let me down. Let's begin with this weekend - if you hear a faint Gallic cheer, it's me celebrating a Swans win against the odds.
Go Swannies!

undy
5th May 2010, 05:47 PM
Why leave White out?

It was just the way I heard it reported ("Pyke rather than White to ruck") made me think it was a chance, but I'd guess that the news came from the same press conference as the report above, so disregard that speculation. Personally I like the way that White is playing and I think he is improving each game.

Jeffers1984
5th May 2010, 05:56 PM
I reckon White will play because Roos was quoted as saying he likes the structure with White in the forward line.

I have a feeling Barlow will come in for Hanners if McGlynn isn't ready.

Triple B
5th May 2010, 06:01 PM
Hanners was different, they had no choice at the time and he plays a different style of game. Big Red has a couple of months to go imo (not so very humble either).

Hanners does play a different style of game, and that style is much less suited to throwing them in too early.

From what I've seen of Rohan, he is certainly capable of stepping up to the plate, even if for just a week or two to get a taste.

Jewels
5th May 2010, 07:28 PM
Hanners does play a different style of game, and that style is much less suited to throwing them in too early.

From what I've seen of Rohan, he is certainly capable of stepping up to the plate, even if for just a week or two to get a taste.

This is what I'd like to happen

I reckon White will play because Roos was quoted as saying he likes the structure with White in the forward line.

I have a feeling Barlow will come in for Hanners if McGlynn isn't ready.

This is what I fear will happen

ShockOfHair
5th May 2010, 07:45 PM
In some ways I feel losing Hanna is more of a blow than losing Bolton or Seaby. We've got people who can cover their positions, but Hanna adds something extra to our midfield which no-one else does. This week's game is all about the midfield.

Go Swannies
5th May 2010, 09:19 PM
From the Cattery -
"Matthew Scarlett is raring to face league leaders Sydney on Sunday after getting through some searching training sessions this week."

He expects to get Braddy.

ernie koala
5th May 2010, 10:46 PM
Why leave White out?

Because his form has been ordinary.
I'd like to see more pace on our forwardline, something the cats have struggled with lately.
Rohan for white
Pyke for seaby
McGlynn for Hannebery (if McGlynn is still out...Vespa or O'Dwyer)

Go Swannies
5th May 2010, 10:56 PM
Because his form has been ordinary.
I'd like to see more pace on our forwardline, something the cats have struggled with lately.
Rohan for white
Pyke for seaby
McGlynn for Hannebery (if McGlynn is still out...Vespa or O'Dwyer)

If you were going on visible form and stats you'd drop Jetta, too - he can't even kick an AFL goal. But I think that's the spectator talking - I reckon that Roos would be praising Jesse and the Jet after each recent game for playing the role they were asked to play and playing it well. More goals from both of them would be nice but if they keep making sure the players around them have improved chances then they are a valuable part of the team. I reckon if Pyke plays this weekend it'll be because White is regarded as too valuable up forward, not because he's likely to be dropped.

DST
6th May 2010, 12:33 AM
Giuys, we are 5 and 1.

Read my lips, we are not going to change the structure of the team at present as it is working well.

Personnel might change, but it means we play with two designated ruckman, three key forwards (with Goodes pushing further a field) and three key defenders.

That means a ruckman will replace Seaby (looks to be Pyke) and the rest will be like for like replacements. If Rohan is coming in it will be for either Jetta or Hannaberry anf If McGlynn is fit we will probably see both Jetta and Hanna's out.

We won't be dropping White or Richards for team balance etc.

DST

Rob-bloods
6th May 2010, 03:11 AM
Put Pyke in let's see his progress, White is doing what the coach wants he will stay, I personally would like to see Jetta have a run in the twos, bring in Vez for Hanneberry if McGlynn unfit. Wonder if Bevo would be in contention for toughness alone?

Primmy
6th May 2010, 09:20 AM
You guys may be in for a bit of a surprise if they play Pyke. There is a big upward curve from last year to this year - thank you Steve Taubert. He is moving around the ground, getting into holes and "knowing" where to go. He has a much more effective grasp of the game, and let us not forget he is quite quick for a big unit. In the last Ressies report I mentioned that he took a great overhead mark going back with the flight which would have been a crowd pleaser anywhere. I would have no qualms with him playing this week.

ScottH
6th May 2010, 09:54 AM
You guys may be in for a bit of a surprise if they play Pyke. There is a big upward curve from last year to this year - thank you Steve Taubert. He is moving around the ground, getting into holes and "knowing" where to go. He has a much more effective grasp of the game, and let us not forget he is quite quick for a big unit. In the last Ressies report I mentioned that he took a great overhead mark going back with the flight which would have been a crowd pleaser anywhere. I would have no qualms with him playing this week.

I 2nd that Primmy. From what I saw against Ainslie, he is a much improved player, and play reader.

hammo
6th May 2010, 10:03 AM
I 2nd that Primmy. From what I saw against Ainslie, he is a much improved player, and play reader.

Just that he can't kick, especially under pressure. Jury is still well and truly out for me. Let's see how he goes on Sunday.

ScottH
6th May 2010, 10:15 AM
Just that he can't kick, especially under pressure. Jury is still well and truly out for me. Let's see how he goes on Sunday.

He's not on his pat malone there.

Jewels
6th May 2010, 11:14 AM

I agree Hammo and have said so many times on here,
BUT,
If he is going to come in, and I think he is the logical replacement for Seabs - White couldn't and shouldn't be doing it for three months, especially seeing as we play Freo in two weeks and his ressies form certainly warrants it, I would rather he came into the ruck and not in the backline as so many on here were suggesting last week.

Molly dooker
6th May 2010, 11:24 AM

After watching the Ressie's last week I was more than impressed and I'm sure he's going to change the opinion of some doubters this week. His leap against a big bodied and tall opposition was great as he was outjumping them most rucks and the kicking he did under pressure were spot on. I can't remember who it was he kicked to but I saw him do a couple of beautiful passes, low, great length and onto the chest or into the path of a running mid. He has improved immensely from last year and no doubt still has some improvement to go but his massive size and speed for such a big man makes him the obvious choice to fill in for Seabs. I just can't wait to see what the Cats are going to do about our 2 massive ruckmen.

On the Hanners front, he states himself that he's not going to play as his range of movement in his shoulder is still just coming back and he's not going to make the trip down south. We all know that Rohan is his replacement and therefore ditto about the fact I can't wait for the game.

Naysayers of our chance of breaking the winning streak at K Park get ready cos we have 22 players and so do they, we might just surprise you.

sharp9
6th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Don't know that you can say that Pyke "can't kick." Simply not true. May be no Nick Malceski but then we have some very dodgy kicks in our team.....Kennedy, McGlynn, Kirk, Richards, LRT, Shaw, Mattner....but unlike a lot of those mentioned there is some evidence that Pykey doesn't suffer from brain fade.....or deer in the headlights syndrome....both of which are the cause of more problems than a shonky ball drop.

Has kicked a few in the ressies...ergo must be able to kick the ball...kicked some lovely quick, long balls when forced to last year (one particularly memorable one against Richmond from CHB in a pack which set up a goal...under pressure he reverted to a round the corner drop punt a la Jonny Wilkinson...but very straight and effective)....snapped a nice goal pre season out of traffic against the Dees last year.

Honestly the "parroting" that goes on here is sometimes as bad as the commentators who just cannot stop talking about Jack's rugby background, or the Swans love of stoppages. Can anyone actually name a Pyke clanger kick in his 7 or so games? There's a very good chance he kicks the ball better than Blake or Mumford to take two very obvious examples.

Plugger46
6th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Can anyone actually name a Pyke clanger kick in his 7 or so games?

Not off the top of my head but he's only had 8 kicks in his career. I'm happy he's playing but hoping he can get his hands on the footy a bit more.

Hartijon
6th May 2010, 12:10 PM
Stuff kicking,I want to know if he can tackle? Love to see him bring GAblett down with a flying tackle around the legs then pile drive him into the dirt. Worth a free kick to see that!

Primmy
6th May 2010, 12:10 PM
Good for you sharp9. Not much in your post I do not agree with except "can't kick" against Matner - he is a very reliable kick for goal. The rest of it.....yes, especially the parroting.....not that I want too insult our R&Wers, but.......just watch the game and not just where the ball is.

Speaking of which, anyone else have a giggle about Stuey and his cuddle moments? We were having quite a time - he reminds us of Brett Allyson who couldn't help himself. Nice to see approval being delivered in such a manner by our runner.

wow, approval delivered by Stuey.......rare and treasured moments I would suspect.

AND YES Pyke can tackle all right. Just that the amateur umps kept pinging him because he is such a unit, and he drew back a bit. Got back into the swing of it on the weekend.

Jeffers1984
6th May 2010, 12:21 PM
Pyke to rip into young rookie Dawson Simpson. Big mature body against a fresh out of high school ruckman.

Should be interesting.

Big Al
6th May 2010, 12:24 PM
Stuff kicking,I want to know if he can tackle? Love to see him bring GAblett down with a flying tackle around the legs then pile drive him into the dirt. Worth a free kick to see that!

Coming from Union, tackling won't be the problem. Catching him will.

I hope he goes down back and runs straight through that cat Mooney.

Jeffers1984
6th May 2010, 12:26 PM
McGlynn definitely not back this week. Got this from the Swans FB group.
"Benny McGlynn is NEARLY back to full fitness. He is working hard in the gym this morning and we are hoping to see him back in the red and white as early as next week for our big game against the Bulldogs!"

Primmy
6th May 2010, 12:35 PM
I would like to send my congratulations to my fellow R&Wers. I don't think any of you have called for Nic Smiff to be replaced......

Go Swannies
6th May 2010, 12:47 PM
I would like to send my congratulations to my fellow R&Wers. I don't think any of you have called for Nic Smiff to be replaced......

Damn, we forgot him. He should be dropped. Just wasn't up to scratch and I can't see how he'll ever make it as a genuine AFL player. Another dud from the Swans recruiters.

Big Al
6th May 2010, 01:12 PM

Sorry...Who???? :p

ScottH
6th May 2010, 01:12 PM
Damn, we forgot him. He should be dropped. Just wasn't up to scratch and I can't see how he'll ever make it as a genuine AFL player. Another dud from the Swans recruiters.

I agree. Only 2 goals as a backman, terrible effort!!

caj23
6th May 2010, 01:23 PM
McGlynn definitely not back this week. Got this from the Swans FB group.
"Benny McGlynn is NEARLY back to full fitness. He is working hard in the gym this morning and we are hoping to see him back in the red and white as early as next week for our big game against the Bulldogs!"

so looks like pyke and rohan for seaby and hanners

vez must be next in line but going to be tough with McGlynn and Bird still to come back from injury

johnno
6th May 2010, 02:00 PM
Anyone else here making the trip down to skilled stadium on Sunday? I will be making my annual trip down the highway on Sunday afternoon, hopeing that the trip back to Melbourne is enjoyable after we win. If anyone is coming down for this game, pack a raincoat, the forecast is for showers and plenty of them, if its wet and cold in Melbourne, its generally wetter and colder in 'sleepy hollow'. I'm in the the doug Wade stand...'open' dammit, so no cover for me.

Plugger46
6th May 2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone else here making the trip down to skilled stadium on Sunday? I will be making my annual trip down the highway on Sunday afternoon, hopeing that the trip back to Melbourne is enjoyable after we win. If anyone is coming down for this game, pack a raincoat, the forecast is for showers and plenty of them, if its wet and cold in Melbourne, its generally wetter and colder in 'sleepy hollow'. I'm in the the doug Wade stand...'open' dammit, so no cover for me.

I'll be down there, standing behind the goals.

giant
6th May 2010, 03:49 PM

Not an uncommon phenomenon for big blokes. Personally prefer to see the ball in the hands of Jet or Mal when it comes time to kick it.

hammo
6th May 2010, 04:08 PM
Not an uncommon phenomenon for big blokes. Personally prefer to see the ball in the hands of Jet or Mal when it comes time to kick it.

The reaction of some people the my earlier post isn't surprising. Dissention isn't allowed on RWO. Anyhow, my observations come from reserves games this year, Pyke has taken some marks in the backline and is too slow to move the ball on because there is no instinct or confidence to do so quickly.

Big Al
6th May 2010, 04:14 PM
The reaction of some people the my earlier post isn't surprising. Dissention isn't allowed on RWO. Anyhow, my observations come from reserves games this year, Pyke has taken some marks in the backline and is too slow to move the ball on because there is no instinct or confidence to do so quickly.

This would be a boring site without dissention let me tell you. As long as you play the ball and not the man you should be able to voice any opinion. FWIW I think his kicking has improved but will it stand up to the pressures of an AFL game? As you said, the jury is still out.

CJK
6th May 2010, 04:28 PM
Dissention isn't allowed on RWO.

You're a regular Nelson Mandela.

:p

EDIT - needs smilie

ugg
6th May 2010, 04:35 PM
Pyke can kick, he can roost it quite a distance. However, you can see his mind ticking over as he tries to remember what he has been taught in order to kick a drop punt - it's a very deliberate process. He won't get that much time in open play to do it, so that's why he handballs it most of the time.

Robbo
6th May 2010, 05:43 PM
Ablett and Scarlett both back for Geelong.

Matty10
6th May 2010, 05:53 PM

Good. If we want a real test we have to play them with their best team on the park (albeit missing Ottens).

wearebloods
6th May 2010, 06:02 PM
Sydney Swans extended team list:
B: Shaw, Roberts-Thomson, Kennelly
HB: Mattner, Grundy, Malceski
C: McVeigh, Kirk, Smith
HF: O?Keefe, R, Goodes, Kennedy
F: White, Bradshaw, Moore
FOLL: Mumford, Bolton, J., Jack
Interchange from: Barlow, Bevan, Jetta, O?Dwyer, Pyke, Richards, Rohan.

In: Barlow, Bevan, O?Dwyer, Pyke, Rohan.
Out: Hannebery (Shoulder), Seaby (Ankle)

=================================

Yay for Pyke!

O'Dwyer for Jetta?

Go Swannies
6th May 2010, 06:11 PM

Scarlett after a month off. And Gaz w dodgy hammies. I hope they are underdone - rather than overdoing it - but it suggests they are taking us seriously.

ugg
6th May 2010, 06:17 PM
I would select Jetta, Richards, Rohan and Pyke for the bench.

Peace
6th May 2010, 06:25 PM

yes.

Robbo
6th May 2010, 06:29 PM

I agree.

Hartijon
6th May 2010, 06:44 PM
Sydney Swans extended team list:
B: Shaw, Roberts-Thomson, Kennelly
HB: Mattner, Grundy, Malceski
C: McVeigh, Kirk, Smith
HF: O?Keefe, R, Goodes, Kennedy
F: White, Bradshaw, Moore
FOLL: Mumford, Bolton, J., Jack
Interchange from: Barlow, Bevan, Jetta, O?Dwyer, Pyke, Richards, Rohan.

In: Barlow, Bevan, O?Dwyer, Pyke, Rohan.
Out: Hannebery (Shoulder), Seaby (Ankle)

=================================

Yay for Pyke!

O'Dwyer for Jetta?

Now thats an interesting 25 players and the 7 IC's tell us a lot.!! Bevan is back in the mix and I can see why.Against Geelong playing in the forwards he could apply the defensive pressure needed when they surge out of our backline. O'Dwyer is in the mix again after excellent displays. I suspect he would either be in for Hanners or Jetta.Barlow against Geelong? Too soft for these Geelong boys! Pyke, Rohan and Richards look to have the nod at this stage however my bench starters would be O'Dwyer, Bevan ,Pyke and Jetta. Love Rohan but would not christen him against the Cats at home,maybe give him a few games later this year at the SCG. Barlow too soft for Geelong and Teddy? Can't justify his selection on form so not in my final 22. The selectors will go Pyke, Jetta, Rohan and Richards

giant
6th May 2010, 06:45 PM

Does that mean I'm not allowed to disagree with you?

giant
6th May 2010, 06:49 PM
Now thats an interesting 25 players and the 7 IC's tell us a lot.!! Bevan is back in the mix and I can see why.Against Geelong playing in the forwards he could apply the defensive pressure needed when they surge out of our backline. O'Dwyer is in the mix again after excellent displays. I suspect he would either be in for Hanners or Jetta.Barlow against Geelong? Too soft for these Geelong boys! Pyke, Rohan and Richards look to have the nod at this stage however my bench starters would be O'Dwyer, Bevan ,Pyke and Jetta. Love Rohan but would not christen him against the Cats at home,maybe give him a few games later this year at the SCG. Barlow too soft for Geelong and Teddy? Can't justify his selection on form so not in my final 22. The selectors will go Pyke, Jetta, Rohan and Richards

Yep, very interesting mix. The Swans website confirms that Rohan will play which the other 6 i/c are in the mix for 3 positions. Still hedging their bets but I think Pyke is a cert and I suspect Richards will be needed so that leaves Jetta as the incumbent seeing off the other 3 newbies.

Peace
6th May 2010, 07:07 PM
goddamn this is going to be a great game!

DST
6th May 2010, 07:09 PM
Our normal structure is to play three key defenders and that is even before coming up against Mooney, Hawkins and Pod's.

Unless he is injured there is absolutely no way they will leave out Richards.

The only other change other than Hanna's and Seaby is whether they give Jetta a rest this week or the next, as he needs it badly.

DST

Nico
6th May 2010, 07:31 PM
I reckon O'Dwyer will come in and Jetta out. I have no problems with Jetta but he may need a rest and I thought the dewy conditions may not have suited him last week. Rain is forecast so maybe someone who plays in close is a better bet. Also Kardinia Park has no wings so there is a lack of space for Jetta to run to.

Go Swannies
6th May 2010, 07:36 PM
I reckon O'Dwyer will come in and Jetta out. I have no problems with Jetta but he may need a rest and I thought the dewy conditions may not have suited him last week. Rain is forecast so maybe someone who plays in close is a better bet. Also Kardinia Park has no wings so there is a lack of space for Jetta to run to.

A few days ago everyone here was saying that the length of Skilled would suit the Jet. Why do you think he needs resting? It may also blow his confidence - being dropped without kicking a goal.

Nico
6th May 2010, 07:42 PM
A few days ago everyone here was saying that the length of Skilled would suit the Jet. Why do you think he needs resting? It may also blow his confidence - being dropped without kicking a goal.

I have a diufferent opinion. Refer also to the DST post above mine.

Nico
6th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Our normal structure is to play three key defenders and that is even before coming up against Mooney, Hawkins and Pod's.

Unless he is injured there is absolutely no way they will leave out Richards.

The only other change other than Hanna's and Seaby is whether they give Jetta a rest this week or the next, as he needs it badly.

DST

I for one am happy that Jumping Jack (not) Hawkins is playing.

Matty10
6th May 2010, 07:48 PM

I haven't had a look at the Geelong team as yet, but I thought that they were toying with the idea of playing one of their forwards in the ruck to cover the loss of Ottens - in which case we would not need the three talls necessarily - although Johnson is still pretty good overhead. If they have brought a specialist ruckman in then we would definitely need to keep Richards.

Swansongster
6th May 2010, 07:51 PM
I've got to say that any combination of the seven interchanges would be OK by me. I'll trust Roos' good judgement and be happy with his final decisions. Conditions on the day will play a part.

That said; I suspect Pyke is in (need a back-up for Mum) and all the mail would suggest Rohan is getting a deserved, much-anticipated start. So that leaves two spots. ?? I'd go for Teddy (an extra hand could come in handy at the back and he probably did just enough last week) and I'd like to see us persevere with Jetta.

But, as stated, I'll be happy with the coach's call. I am confident we will do well and I think a wet day would suit us.

Primmy
6th May 2010, 09:45 PM
217 posts, page 18, and we are still 2.5 days away......go red and whiters!!!

DST
6th May 2010, 10:51 PM
I haven't had a look at the Geelong team as yet, but I thought that they were toying with the idea of playing one of their forwards in the ruck to cover the loss of Ottens - in which case we would not need the three talls necessarily - although Johnson is still pretty good overhead. If they have brought a specialist ruckman in then we would definitely need to keep Richards.

Simpson has been named so it looks like they will go with two ruckman and the three key forwards, but it is still too early to call.

DST

DST
6th May 2010, 10:54 PM

I don't think Jetta has done anthing wrong at this stage, but he needs a rest.

As I have stated previously, his possession count was down last week which suggests he struggled to get to as many contests as he has in previous weeks and couple of time on the long lens down the ground shot that Foxtel love to use, showed his opponent running past him to be the next link out of defence.

Both signs that he is looking like he needs a rest, which should be good for the week after against the Dogs where we are going to need his pace.

DST

Reggi
7th May 2010, 06:48 AM
Frankly given we were beaten up last weekend I just cannot see us backing up to win and would be more excited if we were fit.

That Said would love some Mummy's Day Newspaper headlines come Monday. Given Seaby is gone for three months I hope Pyke does well

Knowing my luck we will play well, given I will be out to lunch....... oh well priorities

Personally I hope Jetta stays in on the bigger ground, bt can understand the sentiment to give him a weeks break. Nick Smith on Johnson could be another cracker match up

giant
7th May 2010, 09:20 AM
That Said would love some Mummy's Day Newspaper headlines come Monday...

Like it. "Red Rooster goes down well on Mummy's Day" Lock it in!

satchmopugdog
7th May 2010, 09:40 AM
Like it. "Red Rooster goes down well on Mummy's Day" Lock it in!

Good one.

johnno
7th May 2010, 10:15 AM
Some rumors on the Geelong board over at bigfooty that Ablett and Scarlett are no certanties to start come Sunday.

swansrob
7th May 2010, 10:30 AM
Some rumors on the Geelong board over at bigfooty that Ablett and Scarlett are no certanties to start come Sunday.

God I hope that's true. My boss yesterday was certain Ablett wasn't playing; I've no idea who his source was though.

CJK
7th May 2010, 10:32 AM
Looking forward to this game. A lot.

Hurry up Sunday!

Edit - 700 posts. \o/ 698 rubbish ones though.

elastic
7th May 2010, 11:40 AM
If it looks like being wet I suspect that Pyke may not play and White will act as back up ruckman so we're not stuck with too many talls. Could be wrong though..

Go Swannies
7th May 2010, 12:09 PM
Looking forward to this game. A lot.

Hurry up Sunday!

Edit - 700 posts. \o/ 698 rubbish ones though.

Which were the two good ones?

Go Swannies
7th May 2010, 12:11 PM
If it looks like being wet I suspect that Pyke may not play and White will act as back up ruckman so we're not stuck with too many talls. Could be wrong though..

Or play the one Swans player that is more used to the wet than anyone else in the competition . . .

sharp9
7th May 2010, 12:31 PM
But, as stated, I'll be happy with the coach's call. I am confident we will do well and I think a wet day would suit us.
7 posts into your red and white affair and you're confident going down to Kardinia park.....we'll let all the old hands here knock all of that curse inducing confidence out of you before the year is out!

We haven't beaten Geelong in Geelong this century and we haven't beaten a decent team in the wet since Paul Kelly played...(oh alright the 2004 Semi against the Eagles at Homebush)....we have lost our last 17 games IN A ROW against the top 4 sides...in fact we are played 29 won 3, lost 26 if we go back to 2006....but, by all means, don't let that get in the way of youthful enthusiasm. :D Cheer, Cheer and I can't help being optimistic, too, what's gotten into me?

Wardy
7th May 2010, 12:33 PM
They only need to win by a point!!! I'm feeling nervously confident we will get over the line.

swansrob
7th May 2010, 12:35 PM
we have lost our last 17 games IN A ROW against the top 4 sides...

Good thing Geelong are 5th then!

Donners
7th May 2010, 01:37 PM
I don't think we have a chance, and since my family are all Geelong supporters, this is not going to be a good weekend. :(

Go Swannies
7th May 2010, 01:49 PM
I don't think we have a chance, and since my family are all Geelong supporters, this is not going to be a good weekend. :(

Should we send in a hostage rescue team? They've clearly indoctrinated you.

Swansongster
7th May 2010, 02:08 PM
7 posts into your red and white affair and you're confident going down to Kardinia park.....we'll let all the old hands here knock all of that curse inducing confidence out of you before the year is out!

Definitely a RWO novice but a lifetime of supporting the red and white.

I stand by my assertion that we "will do well" and that the wet would suit us. We are the only team that has not put in a sub-par performance this year. Consistency across the park is a big plus. Swans have the flexibility to match up really well against the top sides, including on the run.

As for the weather being bad. This suits Swans on many levels IMHO. It subdues the crowd, it usually makes for more below-the-knee and second effort contests where we have some tough nuts and it also makes it more difficult for their tall forwards to execute on their height advantage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we take the undefeated Saints to a point in the wet last year?

I've taken a bit of the 11/4 odds offered by TAB SportsBet to put my money where my mouth is.

That's 8 posts. How many will get me a seat at the bar to shout the esteemed veterans?

Big Al
7th May 2010, 02:10 PM
Which were the two good ones?

CJK is being too modest, I counted at least 5 good ones. ;)

Big Al
7th May 2010, 02:13 PM

Should we send in a hostage rescue team? They've clearly indoctrinated you.

Looking at Donners Avatar, I think it's too late.

Peace
7th May 2010, 02:15 PM
we came within a goal last year fronting a much worse and slower team, i think our current side will offset their homeside advantage and we will get the win as long as we hit our targets and it doesn't rain (please!) we are going to shock them how fast we get the ball to the other end of their long ground.

Peace McOptimism

ugg
7th May 2010, 03:55 PM
We've got the Razor

Umpires
Shane Stewart (10)
Ray Chamberlain (18)
Shaun Ryan (25)
EM: Michael Jennings (24)

Wardy
7th May 2010, 03:57 PM
bugger - little whistle happy Ray!!!

giant
7th May 2010, 04:21 PM

Yep, reckon that's why they've got the large bench - they'll take 24 down and make a decision on the day.

Wardy
7th May 2010, 04:33 PM
well the weather report says fine and 23 - so who knows !!! fingers crossed!!!

Margie
7th May 2010, 04:38 PM
bugger - little whistle happy Ray!!!

"You can't swear at me - 50 metres!"

Triple B
7th May 2010, 06:19 PM
I note that Geelong have gone with just the one ruckman, Simpson named as an emergency.

I wonder if this may sway the Swans to go with Jesse as a backup and pick running players on the bench? We'll know within about 10 minutes I guess.

wearebloods
7th May 2010, 06:32 PM
Superfooty [AKA The HUN] better be taking the piss....final I/C: Barlow, Bevan, O'Dwyer & Jetta :confused:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/match?matchid=1111112046852

Triple B
7th May 2010, 06:37 PM
Just the 2 changes as expected, Pyke and Rohan in.

Geelong Cats
B: Josh Hunt, Matthew Scarlett, Darren Milburn
HB: Corey Enright, Harry Taylor, Andrew Mackie
C: James Kelly, Cameron Ling, David Wojcinski
HF: Tom Hawkins, James Podsiadly, Paul Chapman
F: Steve Johnson, Cameron Mooney, Gary Ablett
Foll: Mark Blake, Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel
I/C: Shannon Byrnes, Simon Hogan, Travis Varcoe, Tom Lonergan
Emg: Dawson Simpson, Ryan Gamble, Mitch Duncan

In: Ablett, Scarlett
Out: Brad Ottens (foot), Mitch Duncan

Sydney Swans
B: Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Tadhg Kennelly
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski
C: Jarrad McVeigh, Brett Kirk, Nick Smith
HF: Ryan O?Keefe, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Jesse White, Daniel Bradshaw, Jarred Moore
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack
I/C: Gary Rohan, Ted Richards, Lewis Jetta, Michael Pyke
Emg: Ed Barlow, Paul Bevan, Matt O?Dwyer

In: Pyke, Rohan
Out: Daniel Hannebery (shoulder), Mark Seaby (ankle)

New: Gary Rohan (Geelong Falcons)

JudesaGun
7th May 2010, 06:42 PM
That means it will be Hawkins vs Pyke in 2nd ruck - I like the Candian's chances!!

Matty10
7th May 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm all set, the teams are in - I can't believe this game is still two days away... c'mon Swanners!

DST
7th May 2010, 07:09 PM
That means it will be Hawkins vs Pyke in 2nd ruck - I like the Candian's chances!!

Real doubt going around that Ablett or Scarlett or both won't get up for this one.

Reckon Simpson will be playing as it is unlike Geelong not to play two ruckman, it's their preferred structure.

DST

Primmy
7th May 2010, 07:37 PM
no no no not Ray!!~!!

Might as well shut up shop now.......my nerves are getting the better of me. Red wine is being warmed, cake cook planned, chocolate cake and red wine all on me own......

Reggi
7th May 2010, 07:38 PM
Real doubt going around that Ablett or Scarlett or both won't get up for this one.

T

I think the radio in Melbourne is pretty convinced that Ablett was rested against Richmond, maybe Thomson thought he'd have enough to get over the line after Dustin MArtin was rested

Bizzarely I am excited about MIke Pyke. something about liking the underdog.......