PDA

View Full Version : Seaby Out for 3 Months with a Broken Ankle

Jeffers1984
3rd May 2010, 04:05 PM
Bugger.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93517/default.aspx

stellation
3rd May 2010, 04:09 PM
Awful for the team, obviously- but you also just have to feel gutted for the guy. New team, new chance, starts the season very well and the team is sitting on top of the ladder then he goes down with something like this.

hot potato
3rd May 2010, 04:25 PM
Ouch, thats a very unfortunate injury for Seaby. it sounded like something serious.

Bas
3rd May 2010, 04:27 PM
It's only 12 weeks and he might be back sooner. Plenty of time before the finals.

Gives Pyke and Currie a chance to step up.

They say the Lord moves in mysterious ways. Watch this ruck space.........

Donners
3rd May 2010, 05:43 PM
Well, at least White can actually have a role to play - though it will be interesting to see if they give him that chance, or bring up Pyke.

Robbo
3rd May 2010, 05:49 PM
Would rather we brought Currie in over Pyke. Time to give him a run.

Big test for Mumford now.

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 06:05 PM
Would rather we brought Currie in over Pyke. Time to give him a run.

Big test for Mumford now.

yes re Mumford. Now tell me that Roos and the Swans are thinking the same way as you:

Pyke stars in ruck as reserves continue winning streak - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93464/default.aspx)
Pyke stars in ruck as reserves continue winning streak

Mike Pyke was fantastic in the ruck and was named best player while Rohan was second best after his work in defence and attack. Midfielders McNeil and O?Dwyer were again named in the best, while Bevan, who played forward, and Sam Reid, who was at fullback, were also in good form.

Seaby out for 12 weeks - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93517/default.aspx)
He will undergo surgery on Tuesday, leaving Swans coach Paul Roos to choose between forward Jesse White and rookie Mike Pyke as candidates to join Shane Mumford in the ruck against Geelong this weekend.

?I thought when Jesse went into the ruck [against the Lions], he did really well and Pykie?s been in really good form in the seconds,? he said on Monday.

?If it had have happened last week, we would have automatically gone for Pykie but given Jesse played in the ruck on the weekend, he did really well."

?But if we do go the way of Pykie, he?s certainly a lot further advanced than he was last year. His ruck work?s been terrific and he?s finding a lot of the footy around the ground as well.?

cruiser
3rd May 2010, 06:36 PM
Awful for the team, obviously- but you also just have to feel gutted for the guy. New team, new chance, starts the season very well and the team is sitting on top of the ladder then he goes down with something like this. Yeah, I really feel sorry for Seaby. We can only hope it mends quicker than anticipated.

It's times like this I am thankful for our current depth and that we have options to replace him.

Go Swannies
3rd May 2010, 06:39 PM
sad follow up:
Shattered Seaby vows to help young Swans ruckmen
Shattered Seaby vows to help young Swans ruckmen - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93518/default.aspx)

AnnieH
3rd May 2010, 06:47 PM
It's broken my heart.
He gave us the 2005 granny .... and now this.

Tragic.

stellation
3rd May 2010, 06:54 PM
sad follow up:
Shattered Seaby vows to help young Swans ruckmen

Shattered Seaby vows to help young Swans ruckmen - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93518/default.aspx)
I tell you what, I like the big guy a hell of a lot more reading that. Great club man stuff (which was always the word about him inh his WCE days).

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd May 2010, 07:11 PM
He's really quite a likeable character and I'm already really used to seeing him run around in the red and white. Such a shame but it's great that he wants to be as involved as he can be.

Robbo
3rd May 2010, 07:15 PM
It's broken my heart.
He gave us the 2005 granny .... and now this.

Tragic.

Travis Gaspar says hi.

Plugger46
3rd May 2010, 07:17 PM
Travis Gaspar says hi.

As does Brent Staker.

Old Royboy
3rd May 2010, 08:10 PM
Replacement scenarios:

Play Mocca in the ruck - does this give LJ (flying in the ressies) his chance, or do we change structure and go back to a forward line with only two talls?
Play Pyke in the ruck - like Mocca, guarantees bash and crash, but hit outs can literally go anywhere. Clueless on where to go in general play, but has showed promise as a backman. Also a good mark.
Play Crusher Currie in the ruck (not going to happen based on what Roos has said) - A young ruckman who may be easily bodied out, but who has the instinct to tap to advantage and also knows where to go in general play. Unlike Pyke can also play forward.

I'm sorry Roos ruled Crusher out, because I would like to see him get the chance.

Triple B
3rd May 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm sorry Roos ruled Crusher out, because I would like to see him get the chance.

Unfortunately ORB, the kid chose the wrong week to have a poor one.

Nico
3rd May 2010, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately ORB, the kid chose the wrong week to have a poor one.

Against Geelong at Geelong for a first game in the ruck might be wise to give a miss. I would go with White against this mob, for with due respect to Pyke, we might be one man down before we start. Then again if he was up against Blake it might not be too bad.

Old Royboy
3rd May 2010, 08:27 PM
So I heard from Primmy, a real bummer that work got in the way and I could not watch the kids last week.

Reggi
3rd May 2010, 08:53 PM
Brian Taylor just bagged Mike Pyke on 3AW. If he is the form player, Roosy should play him IMHO......

Currie is 96KGs maybe a debute later in the year but we do not want another Tim Barling, David Willis, Gareth John, Stephen Doyle etc. You obliterate young ruckman playing them too early, and he has had injury history already

Lucky Knickers
3rd May 2010, 09:02 PM
Brian Taylor just bagged Mike Pyke on 3AW. If
Surprise suprise! I feel glad things are back to normal in the world and BT is giving it to us.
Anyways, this is just crap for Seaby. He was going along so beautifully and you could tell how happy he was to be here.
I want Jessie up forward but someone that can really run and pressure the cats bringing the ball out of defence might be just the ticket for Fanta Pants.

Peace
3rd May 2010, 09:40 PM
Move white into the ruck and let him float around the forward line as well, i reckon he will kick more goals is this role anyway.

bring in TDL or Mcglynn to replace white in the forward line or bring in the ranga and shove nuget down there.

satchmopugdog
3rd May 2010, 09:46 PM
That is awful for Seaby. He has fitted into the team quite seamlessly.

I have a bad feeling about kids debuting against Geelong at the Cattery after poor old Laidlaw tried his heart out in the rain down there and never saw the light of day again. Bad vibes so no Fanta Pants please...I want him to be a 200 gamer for us not 1.

Bas
3rd May 2010, 10:03 PM
Brian Taylor just bagged Mike Pyke on 3AW. If he is the form player, Roosy should play him IMHO......

What did Porkchops Taylor say?

In a funny way, Seaby breaking his ankle has brought instant respect and admiration from the fans (saying he would help others) and I think whoever replaces him (be that Pyke or Currie) will be stuffed by round 18 and we will have a fresh ruckman back.

Seaby's stats have gone down in the last few weeks (he is on a number of my internet team lists) so I think it will me a win win all round. We have depth this year and how good is that.

hammo
3rd May 2010, 10:18 PM
Replacement scenarios:

Play Mocca in the ruck - does this give LJ (flying in the ressies) his chance, or do we change structure and go back to a forward line with only two talls?
Hadn't thought about that one. It could be very tempting and certainly form isn't an issue.

Cheer_Cheer
3rd May 2010, 10:45 PM
Mummy is going to have to step up big time against his old team this week. I reckon this week will be Seaby out and McGlynn in. That is it. White will be 2nd ruckman. If one of them breaks down during the game then LRT is the replacement.

liz
3rd May 2010, 10:50 PM
Mummy is going to have to step up big time against his old team this week. I reckon this week will be Seaby out and McGlynn in. That is it. White will be 2nd ruckman. If one of them breaks down during the game then LRT is the replacement.

Problem with LRT being a back-up ruckman is that the Cats have three genuine tall forward targets. Unless Thompson changes his structure and omits one of those talls, I think LRT will spend his afternoon on Big Tom Hawkins.

Bexl
3rd May 2010, 10:53 PM

Is Mc Glynn fit?

T-bag
3rd May 2010, 11:03 PM
Surprise suprise! I feel glad things are back to normal in the world and BT is giving it to us.
Anyways, this is just crap for Seaby. He was going along so beautifully and you could tell how happy he was to be here.
I want Jessie up forward but someone that can really run and pressure the cats bringing the ball out of defence might be just the ticket for Fanta Pants.
FFS it is so simple and I agree with you in a roundabout way. GET GOODES OUT OF THE @@@@ING FORWARD LINE. HE IS A PLAY MAKER, NOT SOMEONE WHO HAS THE PLAY MADE FOR HIM! If this means getting Jessie back into the forwards then just do it. Otherwise leave Jessie in the ruck, play Goodes on the ball, and bring in Rohan!

ernie koala
3rd May 2010, 11:04 PM
...Pyke in for Seaby
Rohan in for White
Mc Glynn in for Bolton
As for Moore and Teddy....both looked in ordinary shape after the game.?

Margie
3rd May 2010, 11:48 PM

BT always bags Mike Pyke. I think it's pretty certain Pyke will come in for Seaby - let's hope BT isn't calling (or shouting) that game on the weekend and that if he plays, Pyke puts on a good show. IMO he was BOG in the reserves on Saturday, but translating that to playing against Geelong is a bit of a stretch.

Bad luck for Seaby, I hope he makes a quicker than expected recovery.

Xie Shan
4th May 2010, 12:06 AM
Devastating news for Seaby... I hope Currie gets a chance, but I'm with Satch, the Cats in Geelong is a tough game to make your debut. Blake as second ruckman may increase our chances of going in with just Mumford and White but I suspect Roos will bring in Pykey.

ShockOfHair
4th May 2010, 12:28 AM

That settles it. Pyke's the one.

Terrible news for Seab.

Being injured in the first five seconds of the game. Is that a record?

Industrial Fan
4th May 2010, 12:37 AM
Goodes did the same at Subiaco (in 2004?). Didnt break his games streak as he played the following week too.

Primmy
4th May 2010, 12:42 AM
Finally got my ressies report done, which is usually by ORB, and mine is just not as cohesive. BUT. My notes in all quarters has MP as being consistently good at his job, without the ineptness of the under 14s umpire last week who seemed terrified of him so penalised him for breathing. I digress. He stood out as the big improver. He also stood out as a ruckman. He is not fazed by a big mob of unfriendlies. He was BOG. IMO Curry played fluffy in the first half and redeemed himself in the second. He is not ready yet. Sayeth me, coaching from the Noble Stand with no playing experience whatsoever.

laughingnome
4th May 2010, 12:51 AM
Seems to me that there are two legitimate ruck options:

1 - Have White cover the ruck like he did on the weekend, and replace Seaby in the team with one of a number of running players.

2 - Replace Seaby with Pyke, dropping him into defence or bench when Mumford is rucking.

Frankly I'd be happy with either option, there are good arguements to be made each way. An extra runner provides more speed, something Carlton blew Geelong out of the water with, while Pyke adds tall timber that can block supply into the Cats 50. From what I've seen in the reserves he's quite adept at dropping into the hole. By all accounts Currie isn't ready, I'd be suprised if he was called up.

aardvark
4th May 2010, 01:06 AM
BT is a fool, we all know that. Players like Pyke and Ves and Rohan could be the cream on the cake if only they are given a chance. Rest the sore players ,give the newbies a chance to show their wares and make sure most players are fit for winnable games vs the doggies and dockers. Its a long season and you never know a new star could be born.

Reggi
4th May 2010, 08:11 AM
BT is a fool, we all know that. Players like Pyke and Ves and Rohan could be the cream on the cake if only they are given a chance. Rest the sore players ,give the newbies a chance to show their wares and make sure most players are fit for winnable games vs the doggies and dockers. Its a long season and you never know a new star could be born.

Couldn't agree more, last night On the Leather Sofa Clarkson said Roughhead was so battered from playing in the Ruck against Norff he should not have played this week, tempting to play White, but why get him beaten up, it's just the relieving ruck role so I am for giving it to Pyke, physically he should be OK. Let Currie play against less Physical teams later in the year, or lesser ruck divisions a la Hawthorn

McGlynn if Hanners doesn't come up. I think Rohan will come in at some stage, but probably against a slower side, or if Jetta looks quite tired. Apparently Richmond 'rested' Cotchin & Dustin Martin this week which makes sense when you have young players

smasher
4th May 2010, 08:30 AM
Roosy says Hanners is only a slight chance to come up this weekend.Richards and Moore are right to go.It seems that Moore will carry his ankle problem through the season.I must admit I didn't like what I saw from Jude after his big hits on Saturday.Maybe it's time for the old concussion rule to come back in.

royboy42
4th May 2010, 10:30 AM
Taylor bagged Pike last year on the night tv show he is on..'simply cannot play"! He's a dope in so many other ways..he may be proved a dope with this one as ell.

Go Swannies
4th May 2010, 10:42 AM
Taylor bagged Pike last year on the night tv show he is on..'simply cannot play"! He's a dope in so many other ways..he may be proved a dope with this one as ell.

He must post here as that view is reflected by a lot of people here who seem to think that AFL is a genetic trait that can't be taught to a good footballer.

Hartijon
4th May 2010, 12:21 PM
He must post here as that view is reflected by a lot of people here who seem to think that AFL is a genetic trait that can't be taught to a good footballer.
As mentioned before,one Canadian I work with went to the same school as Pyke in Canada. The guy was a total all round star,good at every sport. With his size speed,attitude,intelligence there is no reason he cannot make it.In fact his speed of improvement is remarkable. To get BOG in the Canberra League is not something to be denigrated.Remarkable achievement.

Go Swannies
4th May 2010, 12:31 PM
As mentioned before,one Canadian I work with went to the same school as Pyke in Canada. The guy was a total all round star,good at every sport. With his size speed,attitude,intelligence there is no reason he cannot make it.In fact his speed of improvement is remarkable. To get BOG in the Canberra League is not something to be denigrated.Remarkable achievement.

Maybe it's because I come to footy from a rugby background but I say bring on the Moose (or Mounty). All Blacks/Cats - good chance he won't be daunted. And BOG in Canberra in a role we now need filled. Perfect. Maybe we can have GAblett in a giant Moose/Mummy sandwich like Jono B last Saturday night - I bet he still feels that?

aardvark
4th May 2010, 03:37 PM
The old moose/mummy sandwich on Ablett!!! I'd like to see that !!