PDA

View Full Version : Brownlow - What makes the Umps the experts?

TheHood
19th February 2003, 11:32 AM
I know the is a pet topic for Kevin Sheedy, but what is the public consenus on this debate?

I know we have Players Player Awards, Media Awards, Club Awards.

If the Umps can't call who is BOG on any given day, then who is impartial enough to do so?

Should a player still be eligible for the top award?

vagary
19th February 2003, 11:11 PM
If the Umps can't call who is BOG on any given day, then who is impartial enough to do so?

maybe someone who has no conection to the players or teams, is not on a commentry team or does any sports journalism and does not barrack for an afl team. the problem with this is they may have no knowledge of the game whatsoever so they basically may think that the game is like chickens running round with their heads chopped off.(or something like that)

Charlie
20th February 2003, 07:29 AM
The only alternative that makes sense would be to have a match referee up in the stands. Let the umpires focus on just running the game, and have the match ref in charge of Brownlow votes, reports, keeping the official score, and maybe be in contact with the umpires to make it clear which umpire is in charge and other little details.

It'd let the umps concentrate on simply umpiring play.... less mistakes, hopefully.

CureTheSane
20th February 2003, 09:38 AM
Why not?
The 3 umpires are right there within the game.
And then tehre are a million other awards done by TV radio etc.

Are the umpires experts?
Can they understand what makes the BOG?
I bloody well hope so, that's what they are trained to do.
Read the play and make decisions.

I agree with most of what Kevis Sheedy says, but I think he might be a bit off target with this one.

TheHood
21st February 2003, 08:30 AM
I agree with most of what Kevis Sheedy says, but I think he might be a bit off target with this one.

I don't agree with Kevin almost all of the time! But on this one I do.

A mate of mine reckons the umps have not been too far wrong most years. And maybe in the washup they are reasonably accurate.

2 Main Gripes of mine:

1. Viewing the count back last year, there were several games that I remembered exactly who was a star and who had several effective disposals, goals etc and yet these guys did not win a single vote for the game. Left me confused.

2. Some of the very questionable suspensions renders players who had stellar seasons out of contention for the BM.

The AFL does have us trapped on this issue simply because there really isn't another impartial judgment system available to us. They all have flaws of one kind or another.

Is it is left to just one person, then this becomes such a severe burden.

What about a Monday morning public phone poll? And players nominated as a percentage of overall votes gets the 3, 2, 1.

Ludicrous? yes! Perhaps they should trial the umps system with another for a year and if the results match, stick with the umps, but if the umps appear to be way off the mark, think about the need for change.

gloveski
21st February 2003, 12:18 PM
Don't they have a back up umpire at everygame incase of injury.

I think from memory he is on the sidelines.........maybe he could do the votes.

If an umpire gets injured and the back up ump gets used then use the old system for that game

Charlie
21st February 2003, 04:07 PM
TheHood - I fear that your suggestion would see the likes of Mark McVeigh, Jude Bolton, David Spriggs and other "hunk" players would more often than not win the Brownlow.

desredandwhite
21st February 2003, 04:47 PM
If you go to the public, it will become a popularity contest, unfortunately.

treespirit
21st February 2003, 04:59 PM
It's a tradition. If you change it, it's not the Brownlow. Abandon it and create a new award, but don't change it.

Personally, I like it. Every system has it's flaws. I certainly don't think the "best" player wins it terribly often.

TheHood
21st February 2003, 05:09 PM
I think Geelong would get the regular winner with so many Corey's to get female teen votes.

Not really my point though. It was a silly idea to get discussion going on the topic.

A third ump? Maybe. In fact as long as the third ump was rotated around the grounds regularly so as to not get a bias for one team, that might actually work.

Are there any other suggestions?

What about the old Monash Computer? Plug the weekend's stats in there with a weighted points system. I wonder if it would get it right?

By the way, does anybody know what the submission deadline is for umpires to get their votes in by is?

Charlie
21st February 2003, 05:11 PM
TH - the votes are decided before the umps leave the ground.