PDA

View Full Version : Red Rooster in?

DeadlyAkkuret
5th May 2010, 11:00 PM
Apparently mentions it on his facebook. Can anyone confirm this?

If you've been living under a rock, I'm referring to Rohan.

Jeffers1984
5th May 2010, 11:02 PM
:)

hot potato
5th May 2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the breaking news , very exciting for the young man.
hp

shayne
5th May 2010, 11:25 PM
Go the Ginger ninja:)

Damien
5th May 2010, 11:29 PM
lol at him mentioning it on his facebook, probably should have waited for the official announcement, but I am very happy for him! Can't wait to see him play.

Matt79
5th May 2010, 11:39 PM
Haha, that is so funny! Good on him! Ranga on Ranga...cannot wait!

You would have to think Seaby / Hannerbury OUT and Pyke / Rohan IN

Bloody Hell
5th May 2010, 11:43 PM
Good on him...what a debut! - Geelong @ Skilled.

cruiser
5th May 2010, 11:58 PM
Apparently mentions it on his facebook. Can anyone confirm this?

If you've been living under a rock, I'm referring to Rohan. I can confirm that he has posted this on his Facebook.

Go get em Gazza!

Molly dooker
6th May 2010, 12:08 AM
Haha, that is so funny! Good on him! Ranga on Ranga...cannot wait!

You would have to think Seaby / Hannerbury OUT and Pyke / Rohan IN

I am totally excited by this and it makes me feel that these two could even improve our chances of winning at the cattery, not meaning to sound as if Seabs and Hanners aren't in the top 22 but these replacements are totally unknowns and unpredictable to the Cats and geez Pyke was sensational in the ruck in the Ressies.

DST
6th May 2010, 12:27 AM
I reckon even if we didn't have injuries this week that Rohan would have played.

Comes from a country town close to Geelong and it's a great gesture from the Swans to include him for his first game close to home so all the family can come along and watch.

Don't get me wrong however has earned his spot and looking forward to him playing.

DST

BSA5
6th May 2010, 01:40 AM
Do you know what would be hilarious(ly bad)? If Roos and co didn't approve of Rohan posting team info on his FB page, and so dropped him, and so it didn't happen after all.

Philip Hughes anybody? (Not that it's quite the same situation, Hughes was already dropped, that's why he was posting, but it was still looked down upon.)

Reggi
6th May 2010, 08:12 AM
Great for him, I cannot imagine Roosy sanctioning him for it. Come on, one of the most exciting days of his life, he has just been told he will make his AFL debute at the closest AFL ground to his hometown, not far from his family and friends

Personally I hope he tears it up and beats Ryan Fitzgerald's first game record

This is exciting. I presume at the expense of Hanners.... Papers are implying Mike Pyke is a certainty as well

alison.z
6th May 2010, 08:38 AM
I'm pretty sure Hanners did the same thing ... or his friends all congratulated him before the teams were announced so you'd hope not ... i don't think the Swans are generally too secretive about who is playing and who isn't

ScottH
6th May 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm pretty sure Hanners did the same thing ... or his friends all congratulated him before the teams were announced so you'd hope not ... i don't think the Swans are generally too secretive about who is playing and who isn't

And Meredith.

The boys can't contain their excitement.

swansrob
6th May 2010, 09:47 AM
Gary Rohan - ive got my first game this weekend against the cats cant wait so excited
80 People Like this.

Nich
6th May 2010, 10:00 AM
Go you good thing!

ugg
6th May 2010, 10:04 AM
Roh Gary Roh!
Roh Gary Roh!
Rooooooooooooohan Gary!

Big Al
6th May 2010, 10:12 AM
Great for him, I cannot imagine Roosy sanctioning him for it. Come on, one of the most exciting days of his life, he has just been told he will make his AFL debute at the closest AFL ground to his hometown, not far from his family and friends

Personally I hope he tears it up and beats Ryan Fitzgerald's first game record

This is exciting. I presume at the expense of Hanners.... Papers are implying Mike Pyke is a certainty as well

Hanners said in his blog that he won't make the trip to Geelong.

ScottH
6th May 2010, 10:13 AM
Roh Gary Roh!
Roh Gary Roh!
Rooooooooooooohan Gary!

Bounce Gary Bounce!!!

Big Al
6th May 2010, 10:16 AM
Roh Gary Roh!
Roh Gary Roh!
Rooooooooooooohan Gary!

Roh-corette patches anyone??

Bas
6th May 2010, 10:29 AM
Red red ready Red Rooster. Leg speed will be invaluable.

Who will go? I think Daniel Hana's doesn't pull up and McGlynn not right for the match ups or another week to recover. Probably latter.

CJK
6th May 2010, 10:48 AM
'It's got to be red'

6th May 2010, 10:48 AM
Great to see that elevations to the firsts are done by rewarding those performing best in the twos, where ever possible given structural needs.

Pyke deserves his chance as we do need to cover for 12+ weeks so a long term solution is needed.

Rohan has been in the best players so was the obvious choice, particularly at home town Geelong.

This reward policy shows other ressies players that you need to be in the best players before you'll get a game. The extra depth this year has helped this policy.

Plugger46
6th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Great news.

I'm guessing we'll see:

In: Pyke, Rohan, McGlynn

Out: Seaby, Hanners, Jetta

satchmopugdog
6th May 2010, 11:13 AM
Just can't cope with the juxtaposition of the orange hair with the red guernsey....It just grates..sorrry

Go Swannies
6th May 2010, 11:14 AM
Great news.

I'm guessing we'll see:

The Hun still has the gopher as one week so I doubt that Jetta will be dropped. The problem will come when Ben and C2 (Craig Bird not Bolton) and Hanners are all ready to return.

royboy42
6th May 2010, 11:14 AM
Just can't cope with the juxtaposition of the orange hair with the red guernsey....It just grates..sorrry

Better get used to it Satch!

Go Swannies
6th May 2010, 11:16 AM
What about the clash of the maroon and red hair last week - and he had the ball so much?

aardvark
6th May 2010, 11:46 AM
Its about time too. GL ranga.

Plugger46
6th May 2010, 11:48 AM
The Hun still has the gopher as one week so I doubt that Jetta will be dropped. The problem will come when Ben and C2 (Craig Bird not Bolton) and Hanners are all ready to return.

Oh ok, I thought McGlynn was ready to go. Just the two changes then, Jetta will survive.

Jeffers1984
6th May 2010, 12:19 PM
Jetta to celebrate his 21st Birthday with finally kicking a goal or 2 in the Swans win over Geelong. I can see it now!

And Good luck to Gary Ro!!!!

Primmy
6th May 2010, 12:37 PM
Is the Big Red in?

Jeffers1984
6th May 2010, 12:38 PM
Is the Big Red in?

Yep. Was confirmed on his facebook last night.

Rod_
6th May 2010, 12:55 PM
Excellent - Will very quickly understand the level that is required of him. Playing Geelong will very quickly open your eyes..

Couple of hundred friends and family to support you would be nice also..

Go our big red rooster

Good luck

Rod_

RogueSwan
6th May 2010, 01:16 PM
Great news.

I'm guessing we'll see:

No, keep the Jetstar in. I love his kicking. A little bit down last week, but he such a good kick and required against a highly skilled Cats team.

Plugger46
6th May 2010, 01:39 PM
No, keep the Jetstar in. I love his kicking. A little bit down last week, but he such a good kick and required against a highly skilled Cats team.

He should stay in now. I thought McGlynn was going to play so I couldn't find anyone else to take out.

swansrule100
6th May 2010, 01:56 PM
is on the swans reserves facebook page

Damien
6th May 2010, 02:58 PM
haha a certain Swans connected person I know told me today that the younger players have been warned about statuses on FB and Twitter that give away the team, especially for Sunday games! I said NOTHING hehe

AnnieH
6th May 2010, 03:03 PM
On ya little Ranga!!
Don't be nervous ... just get out there and do your best.

Nich
6th May 2010, 03:15 PM
Fair enough I guess. Gaz has probably gone off a day early. They have to announce teams this afternoon right? So it's not a massive deal. Hanners had said he was out. Swans today have said Ben is out so it doesn't make too much difference. Better to keep the news quiet but pretty damn exciting for him though so you couldn't get too upset! : )

Damien
6th May 2010, 03:19 PM
^ Squad tonight and final teams late tomorrow afternoon. In the end, it hardly makes a difference, but I imagine when changes are going to be made, the coaching staff prefer to keep them guessing as long as possible.

Nich
6th May 2010, 03:20 PM
For sure, I agree. We'll let the Ro' go on this one though i think : )

Damien
6th May 2010, 03:28 PM
For sure, I agree. We'll let the Ro' go on this one though i think : )

haha agreed, hard not to love the enthusiasm and excitement!

jono2707
6th May 2010, 05:39 PM
^ Squad tonight and final teams late tomorrow afternoon. In the end, it hardly makes a difference, but I imagine when changes are going to be made, the coaching staff prefer to keep them guessing as long as possible.

As far as I can recall, when a debutant is chosen, they often announce it a day or two earlier to hype it up a bit more don't they? I guess in this case it was all a bit clouded due to the injuries and whether a few guys would be able to get up or not.

Nich
6th May 2010, 07:18 PM
Rohan set to debut against Cats - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93742/default.aspx)

dawson
6th May 2010, 10:26 PM
I haven't been this excited to see how a new player goes since the day that Greg Williams and Gerard Healy both debuted.
Diesel's first game for the Swans was a lazy 37 touches, 2 goals and 3 Brownlow votes.

rojo
6th May 2010, 10:39 PM
I haven't been this excited to see how a new player goes since the day that Greg Williams and Gerard Healy both debuted.
Diesel's first game for the Swans was a lazy 37 touches, 2 goals and 3 Brownlow votes.

Were they before or after Plugger!

dawson
6th May 2010, 11:20 PM
They were before! Way before. That was Round 1, 1986.
Both were well gone by the time Plugger arrived. The only person left from that era was Mark Bayes.

Foreign Legion
6th May 2010, 11:51 PM

Wow, I'm excited too dawson - maybe not that much but I think this bloke is "special"

Hopefully being at Geelong he might feel more comfortable but regardless IMHO he is the most exciting recruit we've had for a long time.

BTW, the last bloke we had from Cobden was pretty good - John Rantall.

Reggi
7th May 2010, 06:23 AM
Online revelation: Rohan's early crow places teen firmly in Roos' gaze

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/online-revelation-rohans-early-crow-places-teen-firmly-in-roos-gaze-20100506-ugzj.html

smasher
7th May 2010, 07:52 AM
Fantastic for the kid.Was wrapped to hear he is a definate starter down at the Cattery as well.Awesome!!!Hope the kid has a real good day out in front of his family and mates and supporters of course.

Damien
7th May 2010, 08:33 AM
Online revelation: Rohan's early crow places teen firmly in Roos' gaze

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/online-revelation-rohans-early-crow-places-teen-firmly-in-roos-gaze-20100506-ugzj.html

Guess we wont be finding out anything confidential from his FB in the near future now!!

Reggi
7th May 2010, 08:39 AM
Guess we wont be finding out anything confidential from his FB in the near future now!!

It's a ridiculous world when a kid is sanctioned for getting excited and announcing he's playing AFL footy on Facebook, c'mon it's exciting, he wanted to share it... I am sure he can tell the difference between that and normal selection decision

Hopefully the weather stays dry for him. I am finding people calling him Rooster, very amusing

Big Al
7th May 2010, 08:48 AM
It's a ridiculous world when a kid is sanctioned for getting excited and announcing he's playing AFL footy on Facebook, c'mon it's exciting, he wanted to share it... I am sure he can tell the difference between that and normal selection decision

Hopefully the weather stays dry for him. I am finding people calling him Rooster, very amusing

Sorry Reggi, Roos doesn't seem too upset by it all. Seems the "sanction" is tongue in cheek.

What Roos might say to Red is try not to post team selections in the future just in case we need to keep the opposition guessing.

Roos is yet to have a word with Rohan, but despite usually having a shroud of secrecy around team selections, he wasn't too concerned Rohan's inclusion came out early

Damien
7th May 2010, 08:53 AM

I agree (Heck, I'd take out an ad in the Herald Sun for my first game haha), but he isn't getting sactioned, he is just getting the message that the Club will control communications. I am told that the plan was to keep the final side a mystery as long as possible.

satchmopugdog
7th May 2010, 11:41 AM
Gee fancy a red head being impulsive!!!!!!!!!!

Primmy
7th May 2010, 11:43 AM
I agree (Heck, I'd take out an ad in the Herald Sun for my first game haha), but he isn't getting sactioned, he is just getting the message that the Club will control communications. I am told that the plan was to keep the final side a mystery as long as possible.
Normal procedure. Also its up to the Big Boys of a Club (i.e., officials) to name the team, not the first gamer. Great to see such excitement. I am pleased as punch to see The Red Rohan in the mix. Now just remember when you take off, bounce the bloody thing!

Damien
7th May 2010, 12:21 PM
Normal procedure. Also its up to the Big Boys of a Club (i.e., officials) to name the team, not the first gamer. Great to see such excitement. I am pleased as punch to see The Red Rohan in the mix. Now just remember when you take off, bounce the bloody thing!

Not quite as normal on this occasion ;) I was told he wasn't even going to be named in the 22, but be a "late change" lol Hence the amusement of the Swans when it was out and about on forums that he was debuting and makes sense of the the lack of word from the club about a pick 6 playing his first game all week.

Mind you in FB world, I think it's hard to keep anything quiet. Lewis Jetta's brother had a status update about Lewis playing against St. Kilda just before the club confirmed etc.

Damien
7th May 2010, 12:33 PM
Did anyone see Fox League teams last week? (and was replayed on last night's show too), his running speed in the Ressies was amazing, I am going to get a little to excited if he runs like that at Skilled. CAN NOT WAIT!

rojo
7th May 2010, 01:14 PM
All this excitement is getting too much for me! Not having Foxtel I have had to make do with listening to games by radio and last week's game was not even broadcast on ABC so had to sit by the computer and listen via SEN. The thought of having to do the same this weekend is too much so I'm actually getting someone to tape the game so I can see the Red Rohan run out for myself.

Cheer_Cheer
7th May 2010, 01:15 PM
I wanna see the Red Rooter chase down Ling in a crunching tackle 45m out and be awared a holding the ball free kick to score his 1st goal 2 mins into the 1st quarter. Welcome to the big time !

JudesaGun
7th May 2010, 01:38 PM
Is this up on YouTube?? If not, can someone put it up?

JudesaGun
7th May 2010, 01:52 PM
Did anyone see Fox League teams last week? (and was replayed on last night's show too), his running speed in the Ressies was amazing, I am going to get a little to excited if he runs like that at Skilled. CAN NOT WAIT!

Re: Youtube - I meant this.

matty23
7th May 2010, 02:21 PM
Not quite as normal on this occasion ;) I was told he wasn't even going to be named in the 22, but be a "late change" lol Hence the amusement of the Swans when it was out and about on forums that he was debuting and makes sense of the the lack of word from the club about a pick 6 playing his first game all week.

Mind you in FB world, I think it's hard to keep anything quiet. Lewis Jetta's brother had a status update about Lewis playing against St. Kilda just before the club confirmed etc.

I believe he was told he could tell family and friends so they could organize tickets, half of Cobden knew before he even posted on facebook. I had my tickets booked 5min after my kids got off the school bus.

CJK
7th May 2010, 02:49 PM
matty23

Waiting for the right time to pouch, eh? Very good.

ShockOfHair
7th May 2010, 03:07 PM
I see why his old coach said he was the most exciting player he'd ever seen. The vaudeville switch is always on!

Rohan moves from fan to foe - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/93822/default.aspx)

Jewels
7th May 2010, 03:19 PM
Rohan carried that same philosophy into his new career at the Swans, where he has constantly reminded senior coach Paul Roos of his availability for the senior team.

?I walk past his room a fair bit and just put my name up on his board, but he takes it down. I keep putting it up and he takes it down,? he said with a laugh.

That's gold! Just got to love him! (clap)

swansrob
7th May 2010, 03:25 PM
Maybe Roosy's given him a run just to shut him up!

matty23
7th May 2010, 03:28 PM
matty23

Waiting for the right time to pouch, eh? Very good.

Only been a swans fan since November last year, never really followed the footy much so I'd rather read the opinions of people that know what they are talking about than offer my uneducated opinion. This is definately the best place to read how the ressies are going.

CJK
7th May 2010, 03:42 PM
No one really knows what they're talking about - just jump in.

'Roos out!'

See - easy

swansrob
7th May 2010, 03:51 PM
Matty23, what is your relationship to Rohan?
Just curious.

7th May 2010, 03:57 PM
I notice that he has grown 5cm up to 190cm since being drafted, now that's a scary package given his running skills displayed in the ressies!

Regardless of what he does on Sunday, it looks like we have a genuine excitement machine on board for the next decade.

Triple B
7th May 2010, 04:14 PM
I wanna see the Red Rooter...... !

And yet another nickname... lol

giant
7th May 2010, 04:16 PM
I notice that he has grown 5cm up to 190cm since being drafted, now that's a scary package given his running skills displayed in the ressies!

Regardless of what he does on Sunday, it looks like we have a genuine excitement machine on board for the next decade.

Way to manage expectations...you forgot to mention the Brownlows he'll win.

Nich
7th May 2010, 04:48 PM
Gee I would hate to talk it up too much but it's a dream scenario. For a kid who admittedly gave footy another crack because of his Mum, to be making his debut against the Club he cheered for, playing juniors for Geelong Falcons and debuting on Mother's Day, there is a sense of magical timing about this. The planets have aligned for sure. Let's hope he does well, and has a long successful career with the Bloods.

matty23
7th May 2010, 05:02 PM
Gee I would hate to talk it up too much but it's a dream scenario. For a kid who admittedly gave footy another crack because of his Mum, to be making his debut against the Club he cheered for, playing juniors for Geelong Falcons and debuting on Mother's Day, there is a sense of magical timing about this. The planets have aligned for sure. Let's hope he does well, and has a long successful career with the Bloods.
Add Cobden Auskick kids playing at half-time.

Nich
7th May 2010, 05:25 PM
Add Cobden Auskick kids playing at half-time.

That's pretty damn amazing if you were to ask me. Nobody has asked me though, so I'll just say it here. Amazing.

Cheer_Cheer
7th May 2010, 05:49 PM
What is not known yet is whether the Rohans will again turn up to Skilled Stadium, as they did to Blacktown, wearing their Ronald McDonald-style wigs, to match the locks of the 18-year-old.

When asked if they had worn them to Blacktown, Rohan said at the time: ''Yeah, it's true, they had the wigs on. ''They just thought they might start something up just having those wigs on. It was pretty good, and after spending more than 12 hours getting here, they should be allowed to do whatever they wanted to.''

It looks like his sponsoship is all sewn up.. Red Rooster or Maccas ?

Reggi
8th May 2010, 08:08 AM
For Rohan, persistence has paid off

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/for-rohan-persistence-has-paid-off-20100507-ujmw.html

Top Draft Pick Set for Debut

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/top-draft-pick-gary-rohan-set-for-debut/story-e6frexwr-1225863800087

Interesting to see what height he ends up, 190cm is a just a bit short for a key post....

Primmy
8th May 2010, 08:40 AM
Ah, but he is quick. He is quick, he thinks quickly and can twist out of reach on the move so tackles become less effective. For those of you who haven't seen him in action I hope that all the planets align and he shows you what he can do. From a Ressie follower I can assure you that he is pretty good. Now just remember to bounce the bloody thing Red.

stellation
8th May 2010, 08:40 AM
In the article it says he's grown 5 cms since he got to Sydney, I'm pretty sure he measured at 190 cms around draft time. He certainly looks taller than 190 cms in person.

Reggi
8th May 2010, 08:50 AM
In the article it says he's grown 5 cms since he got to Sydney, I'm pretty sure he measured at 190 cms around draft time. He certainly looks taller than 190 cms in person.

Red Hair makes you look taller and faster, it's like painting flames on the side of a car.... Well that's my theory..... maybe not a good one. Ryan Fitzgerald grew 30cm after the age of 18. He kicked 5 goals on debut

Primmy
8th May 2010, 10:34 AM
I continue to say Reggi, the "stuff" you know!!!!

alison.z
8th May 2010, 01:07 PM
''I walk past his room a fair bit and I'd put my name up on his [magnetic team] board,'' Rohan said. ''He takes it down, I keep putting it up, he takes it down. I think he's got sick of me and put me in this week.''

My favourite bit lol - I hope he shows the excitement i've seen in reserves!!

Red
8th May 2010, 01:31 PM
''I walk past his room a fair bit and I'd put my name up on his [magnetic team] board,''
Lol :D. If he turns out to be a prolific ball-winner, perhaps we should call him "magnet"?

Rohan even volunteered to tag Cats champion Gary Ablett
Love the enthusiasm!