PDA

View Full Version : Watching games in England

BeeEmmAre
7th May 2010, 02:59 AM
Hi all,
I tried to find where it has been mentioned previously without success.
How do I go about watching games in England?
Are there better pubs than others? What is the best internet site to sign up to?
Can anyone help please, I don't want to miss my Swannies!
Cheer Cheer

Primmy
7th May 2010, 07:55 AM
I'd send a notification to Larissa at the Swans redandwhiteforever and ask her. She may well know, she is pretty good like that. And do it very soon.

Mike_B
7th May 2010, 08:29 AM
Doesn't look like they have our game on live, but look into Welcome to Walkabout, officially the coolest Australian bars this side of the planet (http://www.walkabout.eu.com)

mcs
7th May 2010, 12:02 PM
Your best bet is the officially sanctioned one of The home of global sports online (http://www.omnisport.tv/page/Home). Its not cheap, but at least now you can watch games live (Lst year the same service wasn't even in live.) You used to be able to see most games livethrough justintv or one of those, but the AFL seems to ahve cracked down on those feeds very much so this season. Walkabout pubs are useless- only Australian themed really, rarely show much good Australian sport or anything and are just like any other UK pubs.

blinddog
7th May 2010, 05:08 PM
pm, me and I will give you a torrent site if that will help

Matt79
7th May 2010, 05:39 PM
When I lived in London all be it briefly, we watched the AFL at the Walkabout Pub near Leicester Square. Always shown on their big screens.

liz
7th May 2010, 06:15 PM
I read somewhere that ESPN took over the rights to broadcast games when Setanta became defunct. I have to make an unscheduled trip to London next week so will be over there for the Dogs game. Need to find somewhere to watch that game so this thread is very timely from my point of view.

royboy42
7th May 2010, 06:29 PM
I read somewhere that ESPN took over the rights to broadcast games when Setanta became defunct. I have to make an unscheduled trip to London next week so will be over there for the Dogs game. Need to find somewhere to watch that game so this thread is very timely from my point of view.

I tried to follow the AFL site link to ESPN uk for you liz...but all i could find on their website was an early april pic of bazza marking..no sign of any tv scheduling..gave up in disgust!

Jimitron5000
7th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Having lived in London for the past few years, I can safely say that unless the game is on ESPN the chances of watching it live on TV are nil. You might get a replay at one of the Walkabouts.
If you do feel like watching a live game of footy at a pub, Belushi's bars usually play the Friday night games live - handy for me as I work near one and get to have lunch on Friday while watching the footy.

Peace
7th May 2010, 10:05 PM
omni sports seems like good deal as long as you have a decent connection... $7-$8AUD for a live swans game? definitely worth it.

bungwahl
8th May 2010, 06:36 AM
ESPN has the rights in the UK and give us a superb selection of Victorian games each week. Omnisports is very hit and miss from my experience and that of other Aussies I've spoken to - everything from connection issues, blocked accounts, poor feeds, etc. I actually resorted to asking my brother in Aus to set up his webcam in front of the TV and watched the game over Skype.. It's seriously difficult to watch a Swans game over here, which is incredibly frustrating considering all the games are on free to air back home. It's poor on behalf of the AFL that ex-pat Aussies have such a hard time following their team. After spending the past 6 months convincing my English friends to watch some AFL it's very frustrating that even with an ESPN subscription we're 7 rounds in and I still can't easily watch a Swans game. Even a 'push the red button' to choose your game option would be better than watching Richmond/Essendon/Bulldogs every week..

Then there's the AFL website with it's free full game replays. Imagine if they managed to get them up within a day of the game finishing! For round 4 this year I dodged sports news websites for 3 days so I could watch the game without knowing the score.

AFL in UK = nightmare

Alibi Monday
8th May 2010, 08:14 AM
Long time suffering Swans fan living in London for the past 8 years. You can simply forget the AFL route and ESPN only shows a small selection. PM me if you want a free streaming location, although I've given up now as the AFL are blocking it. I heard about OmniSport.tv about 4 weeks ago and to be honest, it's been the best experience I've had since being here. Costs US$5.99 and I've had no problems. You will need a decent internet connection speed (8Mb min). There are no replays, therefore you will need to get up early to watch the game. Some games they do delay and annoying don't publish the time in advance - but that's infrequent. Lastly, there seems to be some restriction on which matches can be shown in the UK, but it hasn't stopped Sydney game yet.

Good luck.

Northern_Swan
8th May 2010, 08:59 AM
I've been here for the last 3.5 years and the landscape has changed somewhat over the last 12 months.

ESPN are showing the 2 Seven network games and the Ch10 Saturday Night game. Considering hardly any of our games are scheduled on these stations this year, it will be hard to see them on ESPN. I've watched a couple of games on omnisport which has been pretty good. works out at about ?4 per game.
Other than that, London Walkabouts (though many have closed) will have games, just check with them, as do many bars around Putney such as Wahoo, Fulham (kings head and southern belle) or the slug@wimbledon.

Other than that you can sign up for aussiesport tv and watch a replay after about 3 days

oh and if you want to play or watch local footy look up the Putney Magpies :D

Hope the info is of help!

BeeEmmAre
10th May 2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks again everyone. I'll look into all of them. I listened to the Geelong game on the radio through afl.com.au (4am after a big binge - ouch).
What can you tell me about Putney NS?

Northern_Swan
11th May 2010, 12:54 AM
What can you tell me about Putney NS?

Very social club, 3 teams ranging from semi serious to very social! Have a netball club attached for the Ladies & train 2 nights a week at Parsons Green, games are played on Putney Heath. Check out the website Here (http://www.putneymagpies.com) or send me a PM. I try to run around in the social team (more of a waddle really!)

liz
11th May 2010, 01:02 AM
Has anyone in The Motherland tried listening to the radio broadcasts over the net? Does it work? I assume it does but sometimes it pays to ask silly questions.

Sounds like I have zero chance of watching the Dogs game live (especially as it starts at 5am, London time) but listening to it might not be a bad idea. I expect I will still be jet-lagged so there is a reasonable chance of being awake at that time!

Bloody Hell
11th May 2010, 01:20 AM
Used to listen live to the radio in Dublin, then download a torrent and watch it a few days later. (If it wasn't on TV)

Now torrents are up almost immediately after the game, so just avoid media and watch it "live".

If you have a reasonable connection the radio is perfect, and you have a choice of stations, so if someone is annoying it's easy enough to change over...I occasionally had problems with "buffering". They have interactive stats etc. Considering how much that site annoys me, this part of it is pretty reasonable.

JF_Bay22_SCG
11th May 2010, 02:36 AM
I know 2 ex members of the Cheer Squad who live in London. They have watched Swans games on Setanta Sports live from memory.( I know as I have gotten SMSs from there whilst at the game!) Otherwise there is the internet tv on the AFANA.org website from memory.

If you are in London & on Facebook, I can set you up with them if you like.

JF

BeeEmmAre
11th May 2010, 06:43 AM
Hi Liz,
I went to afl.com.au on Sunday and hooked up to ABC through the Carlton Draught Match Centre. Never missed a beat (apart from when my dodgy old earphones choked).
And if it is a 1.10 game in Canberra, it will be a 4.10am game here.

liz
11th May 2010, 08:18 AM
It's a Saturday game, so starts at 2.10pm here.

Swans500
11th May 2010, 12:05 PM
I am in the USA and since the Justin feeds were destroyed by the AFL have watched every Swans game on Omnisport and it has been near perfect. Has never once buffered or stuttered...looks good on a digital TV.... for a stream. Highly recommend it and I have average DSL internet speed....

Wazza
12th May 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi all,
I tried to find where it has been mentioned previously without success.
How do I go about watching games in England?
Are there better pubs than others? What is the best internet site to sign up to?
Can anyone help please, I don't want to miss my Swannies!
Cheer Cheer

Hmm have to question your dedication and wonder if you are a "true" supporter?? Cant be too much effort to fly in to catch every game, hope u have full membership as well .......;)

Cheers

waz

BeeEmmAre
13th May 2010, 10:07 AM
Hmm have to question your dedication and wonder if you are a "true" supporter?? Cant be too much effort to fly in to catch every game, hope u have full membership as well .......;)

Cheers

waz

Premiership Club mate, but cheer cheer anyway. I did give some thought to flying back each week, but they just don't pay enough over here. Will have to save it for the grand final. :cool:

Adelaide Swan
13th May 2010, 10:28 AM
Try this one guys.

It has most sports on here and does show AFL games on there.

It's a pretty good site when you're looking for a live stream.

MyP2P.eu :: - (http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?...art=sports)