PDA

View Full Version : Mumford !!

Auntie.Gerald
10th May 2010, 09:02 AM
I thought he lifted massively yest and he chased down guys and lead well !!

great passion !

andyn
10th May 2010, 09:28 AM
I agree ... best on ground yesterday. He played with a passion that was missing from others. I think the GF really hurt him last year more than he was letting on

Jeffers1984
10th May 2010, 09:38 AM
Mummy was great. Loved how he ragged dolled Ablett.

satchmopugdog
10th May 2010, 09:47 AM
HE seems a very uncomplicated character.

Food=eat
Ball=get
player=tackle

Keep it simple.

ScottH
10th May 2010, 10:03 AM
HE seems a very uncomplicated character.

Food=eat
Ball=get
player=tackle

Keep it simple.

1) reduced.
2) increased.
3) get Ablett.

CJK
10th May 2010, 10:17 AM
Gave away a lot of free kicks.

Lucky Knickers
10th May 2010, 10:20 AM
Gave away a lot of free kicks.
Came out even though.

hammo
10th May 2010, 10:23 AM
I agree ... best on ground yesterday. He played with a passion that was missing from others. I think the GF really hurt him last year more than he was letting on

Presume you mean the Swans' best?

I thought he played really well. Played with the intensity that was lacking from most Swans players yesterday. Not sure why some have criticised him??

cruiser
10th May 2010, 10:24 AM
Gave away a lot of free kicks. Yep, just needs a bit more self discipline.

royboy42
10th May 2010, 10:39 AM
I'm not too concerned about his self discipline...he had a point to make to Bomber yesterday, and i think he made it!

giant
10th May 2010, 10:56 AM
Blake belted him. He gave away stupid free kicks and let the Cats get into him. Pyke was better. Don't get carried away because of one tackle. Was one of our worst.

GoRhino
10th May 2010, 11:17 AM
A ruckman can be forgiven for being "clumsy". At times yesterday, several Swans players were not hard at the ball. I interpreted the big fella's vigor as encouragement to his team mates to get in and have a go. He was a stand out for mine and full credit to Mike Pike for his support role.

swansrule100
10th May 2010, 11:37 AM
i remember thinking mumford would be a gun last year watching him at the cats. I was disapointed in parts yesterday with him til i rewatched some of the game and thought i got a bit swayed by the commentry and the fact blake looked a bit better than normal. Mumford played with more desire than anyone else yesterday

Primmy
10th May 2010, 12:01 PM
Mumford played with more desire than anyone else yesterday

I thought I was the only one to notice that......he is still a kid, has a lot to improve on, but hell of a lot better than some going round.

Plugger46
10th May 2010, 12:04 PM
I'm not too concerned about his self discipline...he had a point to make to Bomber yesterday, and i think he made it!

What point was that? He left Geelong, he wasn't given the arse.

aardvark
10th May 2010, 12:32 PM
Mumford played with more desire than anyone else yesterday

I thought I was the only one to notice that......he is still a kid, has a lot to improve on, but hell of a lot better than some going round.
You are dead right Pimmy, Mummy will be a star for the swannies for a long long time

sharp9
10th May 2010, 12:35 PM
What point was that? He left Geelong, he wasn't given the arse.Actually he was given the arse...about 2 weeks before a premiership

johnno
10th May 2010, 12:41 PM
Mumma did well yesterday.

Plugger46
10th May 2010, 01:16 PM
Actually he was given the arse...about 2 weeks before a premiership

Oh ok I see the point now. Think he was dropped about R20 though so hardly on the eve of a GF or anything like that.

Yuri H
10th May 2010, 02:15 PM
Loved his intensity, was disappointed when it spilled over into bad temper though - we just got rid of one temperamental "brain exploder", we don't need another one! As long as he can keep channeling it into positive passion and not make too many bad mistakes, though, he's welcome.

That said, watching Ablett still shaking and rubbing his head after the game was over was a pleasure.

Jewels
10th May 2010, 02:48 PM
Blake belted him. He gave away stupid free kicks and let the Cats get into him. Pyke was better. Don't get carried away because of one tackle. Was one of our worst.

I just don't see how you can think that. If a few more of our boys had shown his passion, it may not have been the quite the landslide it ended up.

ShockOfHair
1st June 2010, 08:09 PM
Mummo deserves his own thread. Having watched the game on replay last night he was after Hanno the standout. He really is an extra midfielder, fantastic in the clinches. He had more contested possessions (13) than anyone in the game.

I saw Greg Baum in his match report made the link between Mummo and Podsy. Geelong might have got the best story of the year, but Mumford might be the trade bargain of the year. After losing Mumford, the Cats needed to find another tall.

Hawks on a roll but just sneak home (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-on-a-roll-but-just-sneak-home-20100530-wngg.html)

The Goodes
1st June 2010, 09:21 PM
I really dig watching Mumford play for us. He appears to be a very underrated player. To be honest, I never gave him a glance of any sort while he was down at Geelong. He does great stuff, and even better, he does it in the R&W. Plus, I always chuckle to myself when I see that bent nose of his. This bloke is hard.

dimelb
1st June 2010, 11:37 PM
A mighty asset. A colossal bargain.

mcs
2nd June 2010, 10:33 AM
He is going to be a quality player for us for a long time I think. Still got some rough edges to his game, but he is generally excellent. He is certainly more than going to replace Jolly (is better round the ground imo, maybe not yet in terms of going forward to kick a few goals), and if we can find a good backup (I think Pyke will grow into this role or maybe Currie longer term- and that's forgetting Seaby) than we are going to dominate the ruck contest most of the time. Do that, and get our young midfield developing and we will be a long way down the road towards building a premiership challenging team.

RogueSwan
2nd June 2010, 11:13 AM
He is going to be a quality player for us for a long time I think. Still got some rough edges to his game, but he is generally excellent. He is certainly more than going to replace Jolly (is better round the ground imo, maybe not yet in terms of going forward to kick a few goals), and if we can find a good backup (I think Pyke will grow into this role or maybe Currie longer term- and that's forgetting Seaby) than we are going to dominate the ruck contest most of the time. Do that, and get our young midfield developing and we will be a long way down the road towards building a premiership challenging team.

ala weagles 05-06? :eek:

laughingnome
2nd June 2010, 11:22 AM
It's those second attempts! He charges after the ball in a pack like a bull in a china shop and yet does it with finese and poise! Some members of the press were skeptical about offering suck a huge paypacket to a rookie, but boy this guy is GOOD.

aardvark
2nd June 2010, 02:07 PM
Mummy is a 110kg midfielder who also does a bit of rucking on the side. Worth his weight in gold.

goswannie14
2nd June 2010, 02:46 PM
Mummy is a 110kg midfielder who also does a bit of rucking on the side. Worth his weight in gold.On today's prices that would mean he is worth $5,715,438.85. I hope he doesn't see this and want to renegotiate his contract.

aardvark
2nd June 2010, 03:12 PM
On today's prices that would mean he is worth $5,715,438.85. I hope he doesn't see this and want to renegotiate his contract.

About the same as Folau...

dimelb
5th June 2010, 11:50 AM
The Return of the Mummy
The best thing about this article is his unreformed attitude to tackling. Encouraging on Pykey too.
Mumford tackling the game head-on - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/95734/default.aspx)

Lucky Knickers
5th June 2010, 01:16 PM
How much do you love this bloke? What an awesome attitude on and off the field.

Peace
5th June 2010, 01:42 PM
his size and agility is going to be great out there tomorrow!

ScottH
5th June 2010, 01:45 PM
I've always been a mummies boy!!

stellation
5th June 2010, 05:54 PM
How much do you love this bloke? What an awesome attitude on and off the field.

I love him!

A good question put to me today by someone- did Collingwood screw up by going for Jolly and not chasing Mummy? They could have had Mummy plus Jetta and a lot of cap space.

Curious to hear what people think, I went with hindsight is 20/20 and they needed a sure thing.

KirkysSocks
5th June 2010, 06:01 PM
I love him!

A good question put to me today by someone- did Collingwood screw up by going for Jolly and not chasing Mummy? They could have had Mummy plus Jetta and a lot of cap space.

Curious to hear what people think, I went with hindsight is 20/20 and they needed a sure thing.

For sure. Mummy is more suited to the way collingwood play atm than Jolly. Boy did the swans style really compliment Jolly in a big way. One of the most common remarks i hear from pie fans is how slow he is.

i'm-uninformed2
6th June 2010, 09:37 PM
O boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy

Mummy!!!!!!!!!!!

He had another cracker

RogueSwan
6th June 2010, 09:43 PM
O boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy o boy

Mummy!!!!!!!!!!!

He had another cracker

BOG for mine.

The Goodes
6th June 2010, 09:44 PM
And to think he was meant to be our #2 Ruck bloke. Watch out Seaby ;)

Lucky Knickers
6th June 2010, 09:49 PM
When he gets his kicking boots on he will be unstoppable. Pies game is going to interesting Stell.

Doctor
6th June 2010, 09:51 PM
The Pies will probably flog us as usual, but Jolly will hopefully cop a bath from Mummy and a baking from the Swans faithful.

ScottH
7th June 2010, 08:36 AM
The Pies will probably flog us as usual, but Jolly will hopefully cop a bath from Mummy and a baking from the Swans faithful.

We should be applauding Jolly, for giving us the opportunity to get Mummy.

Damien
7th June 2010, 09:20 AM
I was in a Corp Box yesterday with a major supplier of my company, free booze is always good but they really got the invite list wrong, it was a bunch of uninterested Sydneysiders there for the champagne mixed with a few League diehards who didn't watch the game AT ALL and watched the League on the TV inside the suite..

ANYWAY, when we were leaving, I jokingly apologised to my host for being such a nut during the game (I really lost all control and sense of professionalism from about the 5 minute mark of the 1st quarter lol), she loved it, but had one question though that had come from the others that were sitting in the outside section "What the hell was the go with the 'cmon mummy' thing, just the booze??"....

Primmy
7th June 2010, 10:10 AM
Bless the lad. Poor kiddo, he has no idea what is going to be approaching him with arms wide open for a mother of a hug at the next B & F. Someone better warn him.

CJK
7th June 2010, 10:19 AM
/Doctor Who

Are you my Mummy?

/Doctor Who

RogueSwan
7th June 2010, 10:23 AM
... "What the hell was the go with the 'cmon mummy' thing, just the booze??"....

Hard not to do it even though he didn't require our encouragement. :)

Big Al
7th June 2010, 10:26 AM
Bless the lad. Poor kiddo, he has no idea what is going to be approaching him with arms wide open for a mother of a hug at the next B & F. Someone better warn him.

:rofl

Between Annie and yourself it sounds like he doesn't stand a chance.

Red
7th June 2010, 10:43 AM
The SEN guys gave him BOG. Brereton was particularly impressed.

annew
7th June 2010, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Damien;490107]I was in a Corp Box yesterday with a major supplier of my company, free booze is always good but they really got the invite list wrong, it was a bunch of uninterested Sydneysiders there for the champagne mixed with a few League diehards who didn't watch the game AT ALL and watched the League on the TV inside the suite..

I have been in the box several times at the invite of a sponsor and yes for one game a year (especially if it is raining like it was yesterday)it is good, for the free drinks and food but it is always full of uninterested Sydneysiders, who chat all the way through the game and are so annoying. Can't beat being outside with the real fans.

stellation
7th June 2010, 11:04 PM
/Doctor Who

Are you my Mummy?

/Doctor Who
Oh way to give me nightmares!

Damien
7th June 2010, 11:48 PM
I have been in the box several times at the invite of a sponsor and yes for one game a year (especially if it is raining like it was yesterday)it is good, for the free drinks and food but it is always full of uninterested Sydneysiders, who chat all the way through the game and are so annoying. Can't beat being outside with the real fans.

I normally go once or twice a year with this supplier, the normal organiser is a big Carlton fan and makes sure a lot of AFL people go etc, generally was a brilliant day full of expats and Swans converts. Real pity yesterday, the normal organiser is away, so the company just invited their biggest clients without much thought (which I guess is fair enough), but a bunch of anti AFL people along with a few who hated all sport and having to deal with the ridiculous comments and anti AFL crap made me jealous of my mates down in my seats!! (Which is sad to say when they were paying for their beer haha)

My company owns a few boxes at the MCG, and everytime I have gone there, it has been one hell of a day. Ahhhh, why would you take a ticket to a box for a sport that doesn't interest you? I really will never get it. Surely a few hours of booze for free isn't worth the "horror" of seeing a sport you don't like??? A quick trip to your local BWS doesn't cost that much!

Oh well, I love Mummy!!!!!!!

9th June 2010, 07:53 PM
mmmmmmm ....... mummy

I was very keen to get him during the trade period and haven't been disappointed. As it stands now, a 4 year contract at whatever amount we are committed to is a steal. This guy is seriously good and will be our No.1 ruckman for a long time. I reckon he is as good value as Jolly, is five years younger, costing us alot less therefore freeing up salary cap space and we got pick 14 (Jetta) and lost pick 28. We are way head folks.

With Seaby looking very servicable and the continuing development of Pyke, it would seem we have future rucks covered meaning we can concentrate on finding other parts of the puzzle.

Great to read the positive reports on Reid who is very young but standing out. Key position players are hard to find and hopefully Reid will be another steal from the 2009 draft/trade period. Well done recruiters.

JudesaGun
9th June 2010, 08:12 PM
Spot on, just imagine that spine in years to come:

Grundy
Reid
Hannebery
Johnstone
White

Plus Mummy, Kennedy, Rohan, Jetta, Bird & Co running round the middle.

swantastic
9th June 2010, 08:22 PM
Spot on, just imagine that spine in years to come:

Grundy
Reid
Hannebery
Johnstone
White

Plus Mummy, Kennedy, Rohan, Jetta, Bird & Co running round the middle.Noice

ScottH
13th June 2010, 12:52 PM
1st Qtr. Mumford won the tap, got hands to the ball as a port player was about to get it, then got another touch to it to stop the port players getting it.
3 deft touches in as many seconds. His 2nd and 3rd efforts are what is really impressing me.
I don't think I've ever seen a more nimble ruckman.

ugg
13th June 2010, 12:57 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a more nimble ruckman.
... since Goodesy
he effected some big hits on Port players too. Great to watch but I'll admit I also
get a little bit nervous given the capricious nature of the MRP and tribunal

ScottH
13th June 2010, 01:23 PM
... since Goodesy
he effected some big hits on Port players too. Great to watch but I'll admit I also

Yes, I noted the big hits. Put 2 out of action temporarily If I recall. And all legally.

Triple B
13th June 2010, 03:34 PM
....given the capricious nature of the MRP and tribunal

[ ] RWO
[ ] BigFooty
[x] Mensa forum

tasswan
13th June 2010, 03:39 PM
[ ] RWO
[ ] BigFooty
[x] Mensa forum
(clap)

Big Al
13th June 2010, 03:41 PM

[ ] RWO
[ ] BigFooty
[x] Mensa forum

Oh, is that a word, I just thought the swear filter went berserk and changed the word @@@@house.

dimelb
13th June 2010, 06:32 PM
Oh, is that a word, I just thought the swear filter went berserk and changed the word @@@@house.
Now that would be capricious!

Bloody Hell
15th June 2010, 05:56 AM
Mumford is good.

Shame he was out vs Freo. Could have touched up Sandilands.

goswannie14
15th June 2010, 08:10 AM
Grant Thomas on Footy Classified intimated that the two best ruckmen in the League were Mumford and Jamar, because of their agility and second efforts. He claimed it was like having another midfielder.

liz
15th June 2010, 09:17 AM
Grant Thomas on Footy Classified intimated that the two best ruckmen in the League were Mumford and Jamar, because of their agility and second efforts. He claimed it was like having another midfielder.
The problem with really big blokes doing true midfield work is whether their bodies will allow them to keep doing so, long term. Cox has long been described as an extra midfielder but his body seems to have been the worse for wear for a couple of seasons now. Leigh Matthews once tried playing Jon Brown as not a ruckman, but an onballer. He was very good at it for about a 3rd of a season but then his body broke down. Even now, at CHF, he arguable does more ground level work than most CHFs and seems to have ongoing groin problems. Maybe it is just that really big men will have trouble keeping their bodies fit enough regardless of where they play.

goswannie14
15th June 2010, 11:12 AM
With the current speed of the game, that seems to be a much bigger problem than in decades gone by (or possibly my memory of big man injuries in the 70's and 80's is fading).

BSA5
15th June 2010, 11:27 AM

While I love to hear praise for our players as much as anybody, when it comes to ruckmen, GT has no idea. Refuses to accept the importance of having a genuinely good tap ruckman, and it crippled the Saints when he was there. What he'd basically be saying, or at least thinking, is that Mumford and Jamar aren't totally useless because they can do that stuff.

dimelb
15th June 2010, 11:47 AM
While I love to hear praise for our players as much as anybody, when it comes to ruckmen, GT has no idea. Refuses to accept the importance of having a genuinely good tap ruckman, and it crippled the Saints when he was there. What he'd basically be saying, or at least thinking, is that Mumford and Jamar aren't totally useless because they can do that stuff.
I think you're right. And the first thing on Ross Lyon's shopping list was ruckmen. The Saints seem to have done consistently better since.

swansrule100
15th June 2010, 02:28 PM

he looked like he got woken up for that episode last night.

AnnieH
15th June 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm lovin Mummy.

Just don't get in his way - you'll go off the ground injured.

Good boy Mummy. Good boy!!!

swansrule100
15th June 2010, 02:45 PM
he makes watching the game with your mother annoying tho

Matty10
15th June 2010, 04:52 PM
he looked like he got woken up for that episode last night.

He was actually really funny I thought - when he was asked whether the Bombers should play Hurley forward or back, his response - who cares?

KirkysSocks
15th June 2010, 05:17 PM
and that germ hutchy tried to troll him over the milne article and he just had this grin and was kinda laughing at hutchys vein attempt. I like Grant.

Plugger1300
15th June 2010, 05:28 PM
Couldn't be more impressed with Mummy's last three weeks. Rapt to have him in the Red & White!

Rod_
15th June 2010, 05:37 PM
I can't believe that we only have him on a 4 year contract.... (He he he, good to get a decent player from Geelong!)

Hope we have an extension clause in his contract.

Rod_

15th June 2010, 05:55 PM
Top of the 1%ers Saturday night? Mummy and LRT both had 7. Nice work from big guys.

I was at the game, bloody fantastic to win both games here in Adelaide ths year and to also win them well. mmmmmmm - Mummy!

Auntie.Gerald
16th June 2010, 04:28 PM
just awesome the yummy mummy............... :confused: