PDA

View Full Version : Swans VS Dogs - Pre-game Chit Chat

Lucky Knickers
10th May 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks to Swantastic for posting the Cats/Swans prematch thread. Thought I would copy and post another for this weeks' game as I don't want to dwell on yesterday any longer.

Dogs have been slightly off the boil in the last few weeks and will be looking to bounce back as will we after a lack lustre performance on the weekend. We look to be pretty evenly matched.

What boxes are we going have to tick to win?

ugg
10th May 2010, 05:07 PM
STOP: One Dogs player who is on absolute fire, probably the most mellifluous name in the AFL. In his last 3 games, since moving the to midfield, he's averaging 32 touches, 7 marks, 7 tackles and almost 1 goal a game. (but not too much to hurt my fantasy teams ;))

DISTRACT: Our esteemed former colleague, Mr. Hall Hall. 1 goal in his last 2 games. Tick tock tick tock...

IMPROVE: Our forward line setup, or more accurately our half-forward set up. Only 36 I50s against Geelong is a damning statistic. For all the bitching about Bradshaw's and Moore's performances, the fact is they didn't get the chance to do much given it hardly got into their area.

PREVENT: Any 2nd quarter fadeouts. The corresponding game last year still haunts my nightmares.

SwansFan1972
10th May 2010, 05:25 PM
STOP: One Dogs player who is on absolute fire, probably the most mellifluous name in the AFL. In his last 3 games, since moving the to midfield, he's averaging 32 touches, 7 marks, 7 tackles and almost 1 goal a game. (but not too much to hurt my fantasy teams ;))

DISTRACT: Our esteemed former colleague, Mr. Hall Hall. 1 goal in his last 2 games. Tick tock tick tock...

IMPROVE: Our forward line setup, or more accurately our half-forward set up. Only 36 I50s against Geelong is a damning statistic. For all the bitching about Bradshaw's and Moore's performances, the fact is they didn't get the chance to do much given it hardly got into their area.

PREVENT: Any 2nd quarter fadeouts. The corresponding game last year still haunts my nightmares.

2nd quarter fade outs a distant memory - until yesterday, had won each 2nd qtr (and setting up a few victories in the process). And we got our nightmare out of the way yesterday! Dogs are just going - absolutely nothing to get excited about is happening for them. Fragile against Saints and lost, fragile against Dees and snatched a lucky win. Heavy conditions on Friday night would just about cancel out the extra day of recovery and Hally remains an identikit of the player he was for us last year (i.e. past his best).

Swans to rebound beautifully and beat the doggies in Canberra. Tick the "get back to a week ago's effort box" and the wagon can start rolling again!

CJK
10th May 2010, 05:31 PM
Looking forward to a few 'Ins'.

Lucky Knickers
10th May 2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah Boyd's going beautifully! :)
The Gia looks as good as he sounds. We need to play some ugly footy.

aardvark
13th May 2010, 11:40 AM
I would love to see Eade go down. When i'm dictator he will be one of the first up against the wall.

Jewels
13th May 2010, 11:54 AM
I would love to see Eade go down. When i'm dictator he will be one of the first up against the wall.

I bags being your first lieutenant! (clap)

ugg
13th May 2010, 11:55 AM
What did Eade do that was so abhorrent?!

Adelaide Swan
13th May 2010, 11:57 AM
Hopefully the boys get one over Eade and Bazza.

It'll be great to see them feel the brunt of their former club.

Especially Hall after the dramas he put the club through with his nonsense last season.

With Bradshaw here now, I think we look a better team than when Hall was here.

Please lads, take your frustration out on Footscray after last week's embarassment against the Pussycats.

Adelaide Swan
13th May 2010, 11:58 AM

He's our former coach, mate.

It's always good to get one up on people that leave the club.

Jewels
13th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Hopefully the boys get one over Eade and Bazza.

It'll be great to see them feel the brunt of their former club.

Especially Hall after the dramas he put the club through with his nonsense last season.

With Bradshaw here now, I think we look a better team than when Hall was here.

Please lads, take your frustration out on Footscray after last week's embarassment against the Pussycats.

Perhaps we can convince them that it's the bulldog players that sit on the tribunal and it's their fault we have no ruckmen!

ugg
13th May 2010, 12:04 PM
He's our former coach, mate.

It's always good to get one up on people that leave the club.

Depends on your definition of 'get one up'. Lining them up against the wall, even figuratively speaking, seems a tad excessive.

Adelaide Swan
13th May 2010, 12:06 PM
Depends on your definition of 'get one up'. Lining them up against the wall, even figuratively speaking, seems a tad excessive.

I meant by beating them on the field, mate.

I like Footscray I must admit but it'll be good to beat them to rub it in to Eade and Hall.

Big Al
13th May 2010, 12:09 PM

Absolutely!! Anyone who lived through 1991 -1994 would see Eade, Plugger and Co as saviours of the club. I wish Eade all the best. He presided over some bloody good times for this club.

Adelaide Swan
13th May 2010, 12:12 PM
Absolutely!! Anyone who lived through 1991 -1994 would see Eade, Plugger and Co as saviours of the club. I wish Eade all the best. He presided over some bloody good times for this club.

That's true, mate.

They were saviours of this club and presided over some fantastic times for the club but they are now the opposition and we have beat them down in Canberra this weekend.

I remember the dark days of the early 90's well and the great times of 1996.

That 1996 season was brilliant except for when we lost to North i n the Grand Final.

Matimbo
13th May 2010, 02:07 PM

My 1st bullet goes to Robert Walls, 2nd to Dimitriou. I don't mind Rocket, IMO he did the first phase of the Swans climb up the ladder before Roosey got us to the summit. He still deserves part of the credit, unlike Walls and Dimitriou who were actively trying to knock us down as we approached the premiership flag.

aardvark
13th May 2010, 02:21 PM
I didn't like Eade at all. I believe we would have developed quicker and further with a decent coach. He stifled the players natural flair and ability and i couldn't wait for him to be gone.

Big Al
13th May 2010, 02:27 PM
I didn't like Eade at all. I believe we would have developed quicker and further with a decent coach. He stifled the players natural flair and ability and i couldn't wait for him to be gone.

Go and watch the highlights of 96 and 98 and tell me where he curbed their flare. Like many long term coaches he lost his way towards the end but that doesn't diminish the good work he did in the early part of his career with the Swans. Some would argue that he was a misdirected kick away from being a premiership coach.

swansrule100
13th May 2010, 02:34 PM
geez how long ago did eade coach the swans, and how long has he been at the dogs? time to move on.
Personally i like eade and thought he was great for our club when he was with us.

As for the actual match this weekend, its has the potential to make our season. It is a chance for this side to show what its made of in difficult conditions (players out) against quality opposition.

aardvark
13th May 2010, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Big Al;485099]Go and watch the highlights of 96 and 98 and tell me where he curbed their flare. Like many long term coaches he lost his way towards the end but that doesn't diminish the good work he did in the early part of his career with the Swans.
Fair point but what about the other 5 years. The guys a control freak who rants and raves at his players and thinks that's good coaching.

Triple B
13th May 2010, 07:07 PM
There were a fair % of fans who weren't keen on Eade, particularly towards the end. And it's fair to say there would have been an even greater % of players and staff not keen as the fat lady sang at his Sydney career.

I'd say if the interweb and sites such as this were as popular, or even in existence in his later years here, we would have some very 'entertaining' and lively threads as the for's and against's butted heads.

Matty10
13th May 2010, 07:41 PM
Some would argue that he was a misdirected kick away from being a premiership coach.

...poor ol' Kelly - will he ever live it down (not that you could really blame him for the loss - we were still up at half time).

Reggi
13th May 2010, 08:39 PM
We haven't lost a game this year with Hannebery in them team

Same goes for Playfair. So I reckon that's reason for optimism

Lucky Knickers
13th May 2010, 09:00 PM
I like it Reggi.

Primmy
13th May 2010, 09:36 PM
Good one Reggi.

Re Rocket, He was sooo good for us - to start with. Then he got frustrated and appeared to take it out on certain players. From a personal point of view, watching the games by 2001 became stressfull - even when not really knowing why.....almost like watching BBB, in his final year with us, just waiting for the other shoe to drop, and noone was enjoying the game anymore. After all, it is a game and its supposed to be enjoyable. Rocket is a better coach now than he was with us at the end of his career here.

Lucky Knickers
13th May 2010, 09:56 PM
I also think the role of the coach has changed somewhat from when Rocket coached. The assistants and coaches team certainly seem to be deputised a lot more to a more of a prominent role. In comparison to the Eade era at the Swans, coaches seem to be more of a solo role and much more exposed to the pressures at a club and media level.
Anyway, on to the doggies, their team is looking quite strong and they do have some players getting HOT form wise. As Ugg mentioned, the handsomest non-swan in the league, Giansiracusa is at boiling point right now and I think Cooney and Boyd are looking better each week. I am keen to see who plays on Harbrow as it is almost like he is going to need a tag!
We are going to have to be super tight in defense and I really hope the guys are switched on from the bounce down at every quarter.
Match ups will be interesting. Any thoughts?

Reggi
14th May 2010, 08:28 AM
Rocket doesn't seem like a good people person, he gets quite negative, you could easly see it impacting the form of less confident players

giant
14th May 2010, 09:20 AM
Win this and the season's back on track.

Don't see it happening tho I'm afraid - Doggies not in great nick atm but I suspect they'll find a weakened Swans outfit just the tonic for a confidence booster.

royboy42
14th May 2010, 09:41 AM
My 1st bullet goes to Robert Walls, 2nd to Dimitriou. I don't mind Rocket, IMO he did the first phase of the Swans climb up the ladder before Roosey got us to the summit. He still deserves part of the credit, unlike Walls and Dimitriou who were actively trying to knock us down as we approached the premiership flag.

I always give Barassi the credit for laying the foundations of the current swans..He took them through the horror years, instilled the culture and discipline the club lacked and handed Eade a team that had almst instant success. Rocket was a fantatstic coach who burnt out after too many years here.

andyn
14th May 2010, 10:10 AM

Don't see it happening tho I'm afraid - Doggies not in great nick atm but I suspect they'll find a weakened Swans outfit just the tonic for a confidence booster.

And we all remember this time last year. I don't think the dogs were that great at that stage of the season, but they used the game against us to lift. Seems to happen a lot to us. People gear themselves up to play a 'tough' side, so we rarely get a side napping (like Geelong v Melbourne three weeks ago ... the cats weren't even in the game!)

andyn
14th May 2010, 10:16 AM
A lot of us came back to earth last week and you can tell that were all a bit more cautious about our ability to beat WBD. I hope that this isn't how the players are feeling. I think our confidence through pre-season into the first few rounds was a great thing - I just hope that they've been able to put a horror few weeks (injuries, loss and suspension) behind ... them because knocking the doggies off will be as much in the head and heart as it is anywhere else.

ugg
14th May 2010, 11:59 AM
Razor Ray two weeks in a row and Leo Barry's favourite umpire. How lucky are we :)

Luke Farmer (4)
Ray Chamberlain (18)
Shane McInerney (30)

CJK
14th May 2010, 12:47 PM
Ray Chamberlain (18)

Nothing going right for this game

Hartijon
14th May 2010, 12:53 PM
We are stuffed at the selection table! Dogs by 30 points!

BigD
14th May 2010, 01:10 PM
Razor Ray two weeks in a row and Leo Barry's favourite umpire. How lucky are we :)

Luke Farmer (4)
Ray Chamberlain (18)
Shane McInerney (30)

With that umpiring line-up ( except Farmer - don't know anything about him) we may as well credit the Dogs 5 goals right now.

bennyfrou
14th May 2010, 01:24 PM
We haven't lost a game this year with Hannebery in them team

Same goes for Playfair. So I reckon that's reason for optimism

L O V E the attitude!

bennyfrou
14th May 2010, 01:26 PM

My gut agrees with you

bennyfrou
14th May 2010, 01:31 PM

Luke Farmer (4)
Ray Chamberlain (18)
Shane McInerney (30)

Nothing going right for this game

Not Ray :o(

Big Al
14th May 2010, 01:44 PM
My gut agrees with you

So does mine but then again I've just had Chinese so can it be trusted? ;)

Primmy
14th May 2010, 02:14 PM

Luke Farmer (4)
Ray Chamberlain (18)
Shane McInerney (30)

Oh good grief!!

Adelaide Swan
14th May 2010, 02:22 PM
Losing Mumford will hurt us but hopefully Playfair will step up and fill that hole.

I'm sure the lads will want to put one over Bazza as well.

Plus after the shellacking we copped against the Pussies last week means the lads will desperately be seeking a win to get back in the winners list.

We can't play that badly two weeks in a row against good opposition if we want to be flag contenders.

Peace
14th May 2010, 02:50 PM
Playfair to kick more goals than barry? anyone?

He's a smokey, i doubt any of the bulldogs defenders have played on him before?

Peace

Jewels
14th May 2010, 02:51 PM
Nothing is going our way for this game

- 6 day turnaround for us, versus 8 day turnaround for them
- That dreadful suspension to Mummy
- Braddy in doubt
- Razor Ray

I fear it's going to be another long trip up the Hume tomorrow.

Mike_B
14th May 2010, 03:10 PM
Losing Mumford will hurt us but hopefully Playfair will step up and fill that hole.

Well Playfair has been an excellent ruckman for us in the past. After all, he was the one rucking for Geelong against Ball when Nick Davis kicked THAT goal in the 05 Semi :D

CJK
14th May 2010, 03:19 PM
He's a smokey, i doubt any of the bulldogs defenders have played on him before?

If they've trained with those inanimate bags of sand for tackling they'll have some idea.

:)

Big Al
14th May 2010, 03:22 PM
If they've trained with those inanimate bags of sand for tacking they'll have some idea.

(clap)

Peace
14th May 2010, 03:24 PM
hahahaha ok

last post about playfair until after teh game....

Has anyone noticed his timely debut this year? he is by far our most valuable player on the board this month

CJK
14th May 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Hank can do on Saturday. He could be good or he could be awful.

But your set up was to good to let slide....

Jesse Richards
14th May 2010, 03:34 PM
Playfair to kick more goals than barry? anyone?

Peace

Yes.

Hartijon
14th May 2010, 05:16 PM
Playfair.....can a soufle rise twice?

Doctor
14th May 2010, 05:53 PM
Not Ray :o(

It could be worse.

Rgds,

S. McBurney

Trickster
14th May 2010, 06:25 PM
Playfair.....can a soufle rise twice?

yes but if your not careful you just get an eggy mess

Jewels
14th May 2010, 07:59 PM
yes but if your not careful you just get an eggy mess

That'd be Hanners wouldn't it?

Bas
14th May 2010, 11:12 PM
Doggies by 45.

Vonsteinman
15th May 2010, 04:23 AM
Doggies by 45.

I look forward to you being proven wrong Bas

Swans500
15th May 2010, 10:19 AM
Our luck is beyond appalling....makin' me heave....

DST
15th May 2010, 11:32 AM
I am not sure why people are upset that Playfair is playing.

When he has played for as a leading forward, he has been okay. Has good timing and leads to the right spots to get the ball, has questionable kicking but only needs to play the link man up forward to White and Goodes who can play deeper today.

If LRT is better, I would ruck him with Pyke and try exploit Hudson and Minson for pace around the ground.

Looking forward to seeing how we go today, we still have the core midfield who were badly beaten around the stoppages last week so they will want to respond well today. Our forward line with White, Goodes, Playfair and the smaller guys is also capable of kicking a winning score if the midfield get the better share of the ball from the clearances.

DST

Primmy
15th May 2010, 12:21 PM
Upset seems a bit odd, doesn't it......if they had another workable choice then they probably would bung them in, but Hank is an experienced, big, workable lump, who knows his limitations and upon occasion has great hands, and could probably show his wares more effectively in seniors than in ressies. Put this experience and size up against some of the kiddies we could have upgraded, and frankly my dears, I don't think so......at least we have him available......better than say Reid at this stage, and don't talk to me about Cuz, you all know my opinion of him - at this stage.

I do feel for Bevo tho.....the writing in the sand looks to be writ large.

SCGonasunnyday
15th May 2010, 12:34 PM
pretty hard to win with your key defender, key forward and both rucks out. But stranger things have happened!

ShockOfHair
15th May 2010, 12:42 PM
It's the Doggies' turn to suffer from the Hall effect.

Akermanis believes the Bulldogs have focused too much on kicking to Hall and it is something they need to rectify against the Swans today.

Swans' Hall monitors | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-hall-monitors/story-e6frexx0-1225867027978)

ugg
15th May 2010, 01:58 PM
Bevan in for Bradshaw

Dogs have a late change too
Eagleton in for Griffen

erica
15th May 2010, 02:03 PM
I am stocking up on after-match chocolate to counter the expected game result disappointment. If we do win (oh please let it be so, footy gods), chocolate is also an excellent choice for celebration.

erica
15th May 2010, 02:04 PM
And I hope Jessica in her pink boat doesn't delay the tv coverage of the game.

satchmopugdog
15th May 2010, 02:11 PM
I am stocking up on after-match chocolate to counter the expected game result disappointment. If we do win (oh please let it be so, footy gods), chocolate is also an excellent choice for celebration.

Good choice

blinddog
15th May 2010, 02:43 PM
Are Channel 10 going to delay coverage of the game because of some girl? They have 2 channels how can they justify that? Channel 10 will cop an earful - Ph: 02 9650 1010

BigD
17th May 2010, 03:08 PM
With that umpiring line-up ( except Farmer - don't know anything about him) we may as well credit the Dogs 5 goals right now.

From what I read on the game day thread (didn't watch the game as I was at work - thank god) I was about right in this estimate.