PDA

View Full Version : Heyfair?

Peace
10th May 2010, 11:49 PM
Can we re-invent him in 2012 when he is 28, helping him to take out the coleman?

i think so :)

Jewels
11th May 2010, 12:31 AM
can we re-invent him in 2012 when he is 28, helping him to take out the coleman?

I think so :)

no!!!!!

SwansFan1972
11th May 2010, 12:46 AM
Can we re-invent him in 2012 when he is 28, helping him to take out the coleman?

i think so :)

Re-invent him now as a key defender and we'd be happier I reckon!

ScottH
11th May 2010, 08:44 AM
Sounds good, Let Geelong do it, and we'll take pods.

Peace
11th May 2010, 12:13 PM
what, so no chance of him being in our best 22 if he remains uninjured?

how many chances did we give him? 2? was he THAT bad in front of goal? or was it just the injuries that pissed you all off about him?

Plugger46
11th May 2010, 12:17 PM
He's ordinary.

swansrob
11th May 2010, 12:24 PM
Is Heyfair some nickname I'm unfamiliar with?

I'm with everyone else here, Peace. In 2012 I would expect Jesse White to be our number one target up forward with Goodes and Bradshaw in the twilight of their careers and a developing Lewis Johnston coming into his own ready to take over one of the roles left behind by those two.

Peace
11th May 2010, 12:42 PM
nah i was just throwing the idea around of comparing him to someone like "J-pod" so i used my immense intellectual ability and came up with "Heyfair"

I think everyone has a tainted view of his ability because we wasted a pretty good trade for him and got 2 years of injury from it... he could come good i reckon.

hammo
11th May 2010, 12:44 PM
He's ordinary.

In the modern vernacular he's a "list clogger". Skills are terrible and he's injury prone. Would be miles off a seniors spot.

Plugger46
11th May 2010, 12:47 PM
In the modern vernacular he's a "list clogger". Skills are terrible and he's injury prone. Would be miles off a seniors spot.

Yep, very well put. Also has very little physical presence for such a tall bloke. Be amazed if he ever plays again at senior level.

ugg
11th May 2010, 01:08 PM
He can't be a list clogger if he's occupying a mature-age rookie list spot. I suspect he knows he's a very long shot and is the "Break glass in case of emergency" option. Perhaps he's happy to help the reserves out by providing some leadership in those games. By all accounts, a great fellow to be around with and great clubman.

swansrob
11th May 2010, 01:12 PM
He can't be a list clogger if he's occupying a mature-age rookie list spot. I suspect he knows he's a very long shot and is the "Break glass in case of emergency" option. Perhaps he's happy to help the reserves out by providing some leadership in those games. By all accounts, a great fellow to be around with and great clubman.

Has he pretty much taken up that Reserves leadership kinda position offered to Ablett last year? As in a "your unlikely to play Seniors, but we want to keeo you around the club as a mentor" type thing?

ScottH
11th May 2010, 01:17 PM
what, so no chance of him being in our best 22 if he remains uninjured?

how many chances did we give him? 2? was he THAT bad in front of goal? or was it just the injuries that pissed you all off about him?

Great lead. Great Mark, Great 2's player.

i'm-uninformed2
11th May 2010, 01:43 PM
My dog Elroy has better skills

Jewels
11th May 2010, 01:53 PM
Great lead. Great Mark, Great 2's player.

Hahaha, very well put!

laughingnome
11th May 2010, 01:53 PM
Has he pretty much taken up that Reserves leadership kinda position offered to Ablett last year? As in a "your unlikely to play Seniors, but we want to keep you around the club as a mentor" type thing?

As I understand it, yes.

Matty10
11th May 2010, 01:57 PM
You don't keep a player around the club if he is zero chance of playing in your senior team. The coaching staff obviously believe that he has something to offer - even if that is just in a pinch. Either way, good form is good form, and if he managed to string a few games together and put pressure on other players in the team, because he was starting to catch the eye of the selection committee then it is a win for us.

I would not discount anyone on our list.

royboy42
11th May 2010, 02:21 PM
I hope no one is being paid as a player by the swans if they are considered as no chance of a first's spot..at any time. At least, not at the start of the season. Playfair is a big body, looked ok in practice matches and has kicked a few goals over his time here. He would sit as a 3rd big forward (if the team was in injury trouble) in my team. The days of carrying guys as mentors with no chance of playing firsts went with leather stops!

Trickster
11th May 2010, 02:33 PM
You don't keep a player around the club if he is zero chance of playing in your senior team. The coaching staff obviously believe that he has something to offer - even if that is just in a pinch. Either way, good form is good form, and if he managed to string a few games together and put pressure on other players in the team, because he was starting to catch the eye of the selection committee then it is a win for us.

I would not discount anyone on our list.

Bar-low?

msb
11th May 2010, 03:29 PM
He would have to come under consideration if jesse white got a long term injury (touch wood no!) as the 3rd tall forward, but other than that I can't see him getting a game in the seniors

Plugger46
11th May 2010, 03:37 PM
He would have to come under consideration if jesse white got a long term injury (touch wood no!) as the 3rd tall forward, but other than that I can't see him getting a game in the seniors

I hope Johnston is next in line there.

Peace
11th May 2010, 03:54 PM
well its good to see there is some debate over him :) if he keeps his body in good nick and plays well in the reserves, we could see him get a call up. I reckon all the boys would love it if he got a game.

he has had two seasons off pretty much, going to take a while for anything to happen though.

msb
11th May 2010, 03:54 PM

Yes agree, if he's fit, but they would consider playfair IMHO.

Primmy
11th May 2010, 04:54 PM

Agree on many levels, but he is a season away for match hardness and all that. Its all there, but I doubt he would get a gig this year. If they think he is worth it then I wouldn't complain, but I don't think we could ever expect to see LJ this season. Can't wait for when we do though.

ugg
11th May 2010, 04:56 PM
I reckon LJ could play this season as a flanker/wingman, but certainly not as a CHF.

Matty10
11th May 2010, 05:56 PM
Bar-low?

Well, he played on the weekend - albeit not to any great standard - so he obviously wasn't discounted up to that point.

I actually re-watched the first half earlier today and his big stuff-ups (getting caught with the ball etc) are glaring, but he actually worked a little harder than I gave him credit for after my first viewing. Mind you I have not revisited the second half.

Either way that is one of the things about football - players get second chances to improve - even if that chance begins in the reserves competition.

swansrule100
11th May 2010, 10:55 PM
rather bring plugger back and reinvent him.

Xie Shan
12th May 2010, 12:00 AM
I think Podsi is better. The Bulldogs must be kicking themselves that he was playing for Werribee right under their noses when they needed a key forward (before he joined the Geelong VFL team)... how would Pods at FF and Hall at CHF look now??

dread and might
12th May 2010, 11:54 AM
Playfair has good hands, but he's not a great set sot from what I recall.

Far Reach
12th May 2010, 12:08 PM
He can play ruck too at a pinch.

swansrule100
12th May 2010, 01:46 PM
i hate to be too critical but playfair is a dud

ItsAllGoodes
12th May 2010, 02:40 PM
I think Podsi is better. The Bulldogs must be kicking themselves that he was playing for Werribee right under their noses when they needed a key forward (before he joined the Geelong VFL team)... how would Pods at FF and Hall at CHF look now??

I think some at the Swans may be kicking themselves when he trialled with us pre-season a few years ago

Peace
13th May 2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94192/default.aspx

:)

i hope he kicks a bag

CJK
13th May 2010, 03:55 PM
i hope he kicks a bag

As do I. I also hope I win lotto.

Melbourne_Blood
13th May 2010, 04:00 PM
I have a bad feeling about this ....

CJK
13th May 2010, 04:24 PM
I have a bad feeling about this ....

That's not a moon. It's a Spacestation!

ugg
13th May 2010, 04:31 PM
If I start a thread about Lewis Johnston, do you reckon Roosy will bring him in?

Bloody Hell
13th May 2010, 05:06 PM
LOL
I thought the same thing. Should have deleted this thread in it's infancy!

If I start a thread about Lewis Johnston, do you reckon Roosy will bring him in?

ScottH
13th May 2010, 05:37 PM
All we are saying, is give peace a chance.

Cheer_Cheer
13th May 2010, 06:04 PM
Noooooo !!!.. Didn't they learn from bringing Barlow in last week...

jono2707
13th May 2010, 06:41 PM
I hope he does well. He's on our list this year not only to assist with the development of the young players in the Reserves, but also to provide cover for injuries/suspension as and when required. This week is a prime example of that. The assumption must be that someone like Johnston isn't quite ready yet so Henry is brought in to provide a big body and a bit of experience. I wouldn't think he'll set the world alight but I reckon he'll try bloody hard - I just hope he contributes more than poor old Barlow last week.

royboy42
13th May 2010, 06:51 PM
It's his time..he is more than capable of holding the spot as third choice. I guarantee we will get better service this weekend from playfair than we did from poor barlow at Geelong. And i'm dekighted to see bluey retained.

Peace

no it seems only i have the power to do that....

but in all seriousness, he has played 11 games for us while being riddled with injuries.... if he has sorted his body out then hopfully he can improve and show us why Roos kept him.

whether he be for depth purposed only, as long as he kicks goals and has a presence out there then that is fine with me, he's not a defender so any mistakes he makes can't instantly be turned into opposition goals, unless all our defenders fall over, in which case it's their fault.

sorry for the optimism :)

Matty10
I agree with jono2707 and Peace - and would be happy for Roos to give him the nod. Let's test those dodgy hammy's out once again!

Peace
13th May 2010, 06:55 PM
198cm, 97kg and most importantly 26years old. with good hands and recently a pretty good kick in the reserves.... i'll happily cop any ridicule if he falls over after his hamstrings explode though :)

Matty10
13th May 2010, 07:19 PM
It's his time..he is more than capable of holding the spot as third choice. I guarantee we will get better service this weekend from playfair than we did from poor barlow at Geelong. And i'm dekighted to see bluey retained.

They are forced changes, but there is still a bit of excitement in giving second-string players an opportunity (albeit after others have failed) - and you are right, Rohan deserved another go this week.

It will be interesting to see how they all play together in the forward line. If Bradshaw is still a bit sore, does that mean that he is likely to play closer to goal - with Playfair / Goodes moving out from CHF? Or will Playfair come off the bench and do centre square ruck duties and then head forward with Goodes to take the ruckwork around the ground (when Pyke is not on the ball)? It gives us some options with White there also.

Still, our forward line needs good midfield support to fire this week - we need a few more attacks driven from the midfield rather than just being
initiated from halfback, as happened last week.