PDA

View Full Version : Goodes+Ruck

happy
13th May 2010, 09:48 PM
Goodes puts hand up for Swans' ruck role (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/goodes-puts-hand-up-for-swans-ruck-role-20100513-v1dc.html)

Lucky Knickers
13th May 2010, 09:52 PM
Goodes puts hand up for Swans' ruck role (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/goodes-puts-hand-up-for-swans-ruck-role-20100513-v1dc.html)
And thank god Roos told him to put his hand down and sit back down in his chair. He's done quite enough of that.

Goal Sneak
13th May 2010, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't mind if Goodes wants to have a few short stints in the ruck, depending on how Pyke is going.

Interesting to see Playfair coming in. He is surely playing for his career. I'm not a big Henry fan, but maybe if he has a Barlow of a game we can cross him off and bring in Vez

happy
13th May 2010, 10:07 PM
Barlow as an adverb ... i like it

"he really barlowed that right up"
"how are you going?" - "barlowed, my cat died"

Jewels
13th May 2010, 10:19 PM

Hahaha, I like it!

BSA5
13th May 2010, 10:48 PM

Technically, you're using that as a verb and adjective respectively (although if you want to take it that the reply in the second example was a direct description of "going", then it would be an adverb, but if you take "how are you going" to simply be a turn of phrase that means "how are you?", which most people would, then the "barlowed" refers to one's current state of wellbeing, which is a noun, making it an adjective).

To use it as an adverb, you'd most likely have to add an -ly at the end. "How did you play?" "Barlowedly. Got three touches, all clangers, but I did take a nice mark." "The car was driving barlowedly down the highway, making clunking sounds and stuff, I couldn't get it over 60, it was really scary." Or you could maybe take away the -ed and make it "Barlowly", but that sounds a bit weird. Sounds like "lowly" though, which could be good.

[/nerd]

satchmopugdog
14th May 2010, 07:03 AM
A cunning linguistic nerd but....