PDA

View Full Version : Selection Policy

Old Royboy
13th May 2010, 09:54 PM
I?ve collated the reserves best players lists from both the official club reports and our unofficial ones. Makes interesting reading.

Crusher Currie 8/10
Dill McNeil 7/10
MOD 7/10
Vez 7/10
Pyke 6/9 (promoted)
LJ 4/10 (RWO = 3/4)
?Jonesy? Heath 3/10 (RWO = 0/6)
Bluey Rohan 3/8 (promoted)
Cheese 2/9 (promoted)
Henry 2/10 (promoted)
TTed 0/5 (promoted)
Bevan 0/10
I make a few conclusions from this.
1. The club prefers to play ?has beens?, ?never have beens and never will bes? or list cloggers ? all of whom can?t even make the best players list in the ressies, against those actually showing some from.
2. Thus, the next player to be promoted will be Bevan!!!!
3. Rohan probably did not deserve his promotion - Vez and MOD have every reason to be upset.
4. Somebody at the club is seeing something in Campbell Heath that Primmy and I are blind to.
5. Reverse applies to Lewis Johnston.
6. The Dill will be a star.
7. Thus far, performances of those who have been promoted have reflected their reserves form.
8. Henry will have a shocker on Saturday.
9. Crusher had better start looking for a new club.
The injuries and suspensions we have had have been unfortunate, but I am downright filthy about the selection policy that prevails.

wearebloods
13th May 2010, 10:04 PM
Nice work!

The next question is how much of this years selection policy is the work of Horse or does Roos still hold the reins?

ernie koala
13th May 2010, 10:19 PM
I?ve collated the reserves best players lists from both the official club reports and our unofficial ones. Makes interesting reading.

Crusher Currie 8/10
Dill McNeil 7/10
MOD 7/10
Vez 7/10
Pyke 6/9 (promoted)
LJ 4/10 (RWO = 3/4)
?Jonesy? Heath 3/10 (RWO = 0/6)
Bluey Rohan 3/8 (promoted)
Cheese 2/9 (promoted)
Henry 2/10 (promoted)
TTed 0/5 (promoted)
Bevan 0/10
I make a few conclusions from this.
1. The club prefers to play ?has beens?, ?never have beens and never will bes? or list cloggers ? all of whom can?t even make the best players list in the ressies, against those actually showing some from.
3. Rohan probably did not deserve his promotion - Vez and MOD have every reason to be upset.
4. Somebody at the club is seeing something in Campbell Heath that Primmy and I are blind to.
5. Reverse applies to Lewis Johnston.
7. Thus far, performances of those who have been promoted have reflected their reserves form.
8. Henry will have a shocker on Saturday.
The injuries and suspensions we have had have been unfortunate, but I am downright filthy about the selection policy that prevails.

Couldn't agree more. Sellecting Playfair is a woeful mistake. As I've said many times, he's slow, soft and can't kick. Talk about going backwards.
We won some early games playing a more dynamic fast attacking style. I'd like to know how Playfair fits into that style....he doesn't.

hammo
13th May 2010, 10:21 PM
Yes nice work ORB very interesting read.

So much for the exciting new Swans.

Matty10
13th May 2010, 10:37 PM
Interesting list, and as I have not seen the reserves play it is hard to comment on the scores, nevertheless selections for the Swans senior team would not be based simply on who is deemed to have played amongst the best in semi-official / non-official reports. It would be the same at most clubs.

The other comment I would make is that although it may appear a certain player was better than another, without an insight into the coaches' instructions it would be difficult to assess. There is also their performance on the training track each week which would have an influence.

Most of the AFL inclusions to our team, if not all of them, have been based on our need to replace an important player (defence & ruck in particular), which makes sense why certain players have just not been able to break into the team (such as MOD where our half back stocks have been plentiful).

I don't think the selections have been that bad - whether or not they should have played Barlow in the first place - they did drop him the very next week based on performance. Others who have stayed in the team, even though their performances have been widely criticised, has been based on structural necessity.

BSA5
13th May 2010, 10:51 PM
Isn't Heath being given shut-down roles? Could that be why RWOers aren't seeing what the coaches are seeing?

Bloody Hell
13th May 2010, 10:55 PM
I've had the same thoughts...

Bloody Hell
13th May 2010, 11:00 PM
But presumably this is part of a long term plan hatched by Roos with regard to Currie. I will be suprised if he doesn't get one game in the next 3 months (Seaby). Otherwise....I can see him going the way of Jolly, Mumford etc - with us on the receiving end.
I've had the same thoughts...

ShockOfHair
14th May 2010, 02:14 AM
I don't see the big deal.
Hannebery got promoted. Rohan got promoted - neither is a list-clogger.
Richards got promoted after Bolton was injured - as you'd expect.
Playfair's been given the nod because our lead ruck has played ten games of footy in his entire life. Currie didn't look like a league player in the pre-season and still doesn't.

Young Blood
14th May 2010, 02:57 AM
I don't see the big deal.
Hannebery got promoted. Rohan got promoted - neither is a list-clogger.
Richards got promoted after Bolton was injured - as you'd expect.
Playfair's been given the nod because our lead ruck has played ten games of footy in his entire life. Currie didn't look like a league player in the pre-season and still doesn't.

Agree. ORB's analysis is useful, but being among the best in the ressies is not necessarily an indicator of readiness to play senior footy. A ruck division of Pyke and Currie would have been courageous; I am glad they've gone with White, who performed well as 2nd ruck in the first half of last season. I am surprised by Playfair - either they are committed to playing 3 tall forwards this year, or want insurance in case Goodes is required in the midfield (where he should have been released last week).

Big Al
14th May 2010, 06:50 AM
I would tend to trust the coaches judgements on selection for the simple reason that they may know more about whether a certain player is ready for a senior game or not. They not only see the game performances but they also see how the player is training, attitude and whether the player is carrying any injuries. Performances in the reserves can't just be the only criteria for senior selection. As as been stated many times the Canberra comp is light years away from AFL standard.

Bas
14th May 2010, 08:49 AM
We know much more than the coaches. I just don't understand why they don't listen to us.

giant
14th May 2010, 09:08 AM
The two selections that appear puzzling are Playfair in lieu of Currie and Barlow instead of MOD (indefensible). Otherwise, it's not too hard to follow the logic.

ScottH
14th May 2010, 09:13 AM
The two selections that appear puzzling are Playfair in lieu of Currie and Barlow instead of MOD (indefensible). Otherwise, it's not too hard to follow the logic.

The only way of looking at that is bigger bodies.

MOD in his few games late last year was starting to look really good.
Currie I can't comment on, be a shame to lose him after all the years invested in him so far.

Interesting thoughts ORB. I hope your crystal ball is not so accurate, though.

lwjoyner
14th May 2010, 10:15 AM
Playfair couldnt play at Geelong and didnt set world on fire with us. You have to try Currie or else we will loose him and probably Patty V if they both dont get a game soon. I can see the Pies jumping in. Playfair is not in our future so why select him. Currrie can play forward if they want to ruck jesse.

ugg
14th May 2010, 10:32 AM
The two selections that appear puzzling are Playfair in lieu of Currie

It's not that puzzling if you think it through - the coaches are going with the team they think has the best chance of winning this game. Playfair has more experience and probably more strength than Currie. Sure, it would be nice for Currie to get a few games under his belt for his development but I think you're being very short-sighted if you think playing Currie over Playfair will help us win this game.

Jewels
14th May 2010, 02:38 PM
I would tend to trust the coaches judgements on selection for the simple reason that they may know more about whether a certain player is ready for a senior game or not. They not only see the game performances but they also see how the player is training, attitude and whether the player is carrying any injuries. Performances in the reserves can't just be the only criteria for senior selection. As as been stated many times the Canberra comp is light years away from AFL standard.

It's not that puzzling if you think it through - the coaches are going with the team they think has the best chance of winning this game. Playfair has more experience and probably more strength than Currie. Sure, it would be nice for Currie to get a few games under his belt for his development but I think you're being very short-sighted if you think playing Currie over Playfair will help us win this game.

Now, now, now you two, RWO is not the place for logic and reason!

Big Al
14th May 2010, 02:55 PM
Now, now, now you two, RWO is not the place for logic and reason!

Sorry Jewels, it was momentary lapse. I won't let it happen again.

Bloody Hell
14th May 2010, 04:30 PM
Having rewatched the Round 1 NAB Cup game vs Carlton I have to withdraw any comments made regarding Currie.

Easily out muscled in all ruck contests & contested marking situations, and lacks the speed to burn defenders on the lead. Probably at least one, possibly two preseasons away from being effective as a ruckman at the higher level - haven't seen enough to comment on his KP credentials.

Plugger46
14th May 2010, 04:37 PM
We know much more than the coaches. I just don't understand why they don't listen to us.

So people can't have an opinion? May as well shut the forum down now then.

Big Al
14th May 2010, 04:57 PM
So people can't have an opinion? May as well shut the forum down now then.

Yep and Bas is stating his. Wonderful how it works isn't it.

Donners
14th May 2010, 05:54 PM

Or, that it is recognised that there is a difference in style and tempo at the higher level, and so those with more experience and more mature bodies are preferred.

I most certainly hope not.

Wouldn't bet on that based on a few reserves performances. Bennett was outstanding in the VFL, certainly at a higher level than Canberra and with some AFL games behind him, but never went anywhere at the higher level.

Yes, I do recognise you were probably being a bit facetious... :)

smasher
14th May 2010, 06:08 PM
From what I have seen and heard of Currie,he has a fair way to go yet but if he perserveres he will get there.It is not uncommon for the big blokes to take a while to come on.

Robbo
14th May 2010, 06:34 PM
Good OP. Well done.

It's laughable how Currie can't get a game when the two ruckmen at the top of the pecking order aren't playing. He has been with us for 4 years now, at least give him a chance for christ's sake.

Hartijon
14th May 2010, 06:48 PM
I have been on about selection policy for a long time and selecting on form alone has a lot going for it. I don't follow the reserves but they got flogged and the boys were lethargic after a couple of promotions were not based on form. I can understand why and morale of the reserves is a good reason to pick on form.It keeps them keen interested and training their butts off because they know if they play well they are in!!! Doesn't matter what their name is. For elite players (eg Goodes,Kirk etc) ,they don't even have to play in the reserves if coming back from injury but they have EARNED that status. Seeing them go in does not effect morale.

The other consideration is "match ups" and an in form small player may not what we need that particular week,hence a bigger but not in as good a form player goes up.I can live with that! The selection of Playfair baffles me. He has been unsuccessful at both Geelong and the Swans (albeit with injuries),his form is not hot and we seem to have enough tall timber and need PACE to beat or even match the Doggies. Teddy has been completely predictable and played to his form.Obviously the selectors think his standard of play is better than any other B graders. I don't.

Big Al
14th May 2010, 07:01 PM
Good OP. Well done.

It's laughable how Currie can't get a game when the two ruckmen at the top of the pecking order aren't playing. He has been with us for 4 years now, at least give him a chance for christ's sake.

It's hard for supporters outside the club to make that call because we are not privy to all the information. We can only go on what we see in the Reserves. We don't see what goes on behind the scenes. My personal opinion is that Currie be selected but I have to believe that people with 100's of games of AFL experience behind them know better than me if a player is ready or not.

stellation
14th May 2010, 07:24 PM
Davo.

Jewels
14th May 2010, 08:07 PM
I have been on about selection policy for a long time and selecting on form alone has a lot going for it. I don't follow the reserves but they got flogged and the boys were lethargic after a couple of promotions were not based on form. I can understand why and morale of the reserves is a good reason to pick on form.It keeps them keen interested and training their butts off because they know if they play well they are in!!! Doesn't matter what their name is. For elite players (eg Goodes,Kirk etc) ,they don't even have to play in the reserves if coming back from injury but they have EARNED that status. Seeing them go in does not effect morale.

The other consideration is "match ups" and an in form small player may not what we need that particular week,hence a bigger but not in as good a form player goes up.I can live with that! The selection of Playfair baffles me. He has been unsuccessful at both Geelong and the Swans (albeit with injuries),his form is not hot and we seem to have enough tall timber and need PACE to beat or even match the Doggies. Teddy has been completely predictable and played to his form.Obviously the selectors think his standard of play is better than any other B graders. I don't.

Perhaps the reserves got flogged because of the amount of players that needed to be promoted to the senior team to cover for injuries and the ressies team was left understrength.
Mmmm, fascinating theory isn't it?

Damien
14th May 2010, 08:59 PM
I'll trust the selection panel, but if I was Currie, I'd put my head down work my butt off, learn as much as possible and get my manager onto the Gold Coast recruiting staff ASAP.

I realise young Rucks often take longer to develop and he has had injury issues, but if you can't get a guernsey in your fourth year when Ruck1 and Ruck2 are out, you really do need to explore your options.

I guess he only has to look as far as Mumford for inspiration.

Lucky Knickers
14th May 2010, 09:21 PM
Davo.
Kicked 4 on the weekend!

stellation
14th May 2010, 09:24 PM
Kicked 4 on the weekend!

He'd have done it at any level, baby.

Lucky Knickers
14th May 2010, 09:24 PM
He'd have done it at any level, baby.
I hear ya.

stellation
14th May 2010, 09:33 PM
I think if Dan was to be in with a chance it would need to be as backup to Mumford or Seaby; with Pyke rucking then you just cannot be rolling the dice with the backup and White has proven to date to probably be the 3rd best ruckman at the club.

Primmy
14th May 2010, 11:17 PM
Perhaps the reserves got flogged because of the amount of players that needed to be promoted to the senior team to cover for injuries and the ressies team was left understrength.

meow J, meow......

Hartijon
15th May 2010, 09:52 AM

As stated,I don't watch the reserves so don't know.however the one report I read said that the good players that could reasonably expect to play well were no switched on.