PDA

View Full Version : Rate Roos Coaching..Round 8

ernie koala
15th May 2010, 10:34 PM
For mine a D- at best.
As headcoach, I assume Roos would agree the buck stops with him.
1) This weeks selections set the tone.... conservative, unimaginative and devoid of daring. (Playfair...you've got to be kidding)
2) Match ups and players out of position (White being the most obvious)
3) Body language during and after the match was deplorable. (It would be hard to get excited at the sight of Roos at halftime leaning against the wall with a "I give up" sarcastic demenour. Not to mention his after match form.)
And I'm sick to death of hearing the old chestnut " We're a young team blah blah blah.." The fact is we're no younger than most other teams.

Bas
15th May 2010, 10:48 PM
Well he knows he's not getting sacked this year and Longmire is taking over next year.

You should know by now with Roos that it is never his fault but the players have not carried out his instructions.

Captain
15th May 2010, 10:52 PM
C - for mine

Why wasn't White tried forward for some of the game. It was obvious we had nothing up there! Also Goodes should have been full forward for parts.

UglyDuckling
15th May 2010, 11:09 PM
I dont have an arbitrary rate but i had some issues with selection and set up

1) Forward set up
- having white in the ruck left brian lake to out mark smaller opponents all night as well as push forward to kick goals, at time you have the AA full back playing on 2nd gamer Rohan. Had Jessie been playing out of the square it would have kept lake honest by at least creating a contest bringing the ball to ground and the smaller players into the game. his would stop lake from marking so regularly and dominating our forward line

-Playfairs selection was strange as by all reports he hasnt been that good in the 2's and there are more talented though untried players in better form a la johnston, vez and Currie. My only guess is that the coaching panel think that those young players dont have the tank to run out the games

- Beavan: Same as playfair i think Vez from reports has been in better form for the 2's is quicker and has better skills. Though beavan wasnt the worst today

- Goodes probably needed to play a bit deeper today in bradshaws absence

What i would have Done:

Played Jessie out of the square, Rohan, Goodes, Vez and rotating mids forward

Currie and Pyke in the ruck. We needed 2 genuine ruckmen today and jessie to go forward

These are the things i probably would have changed though i doubt it would have changed the result as we were comprehensively beaten through the midfield

Damien
15th May 2010, 11:10 PM
3) Body language during and after the match was deplorable. (It would be hard to get excited at the sight of Roos at halftime leaning against the wall with a "I give up" sarcastic demenour. Not to mention his after match form.)

Yeah I wasn't impressed at half time when I saw him with hand in pockets and leaning against the wall, also wasn't that impressed with him sharing a joke on the bench after the final siren. I know a lot of fans love his attitude and probably don't care, but I want passion, I want the coach to reflect the frustration we all felt.

I'd rate today at C-, really didn't see much imagination go into our setup, today was the day to throw caution to the wind.

Flossie
15th May 2010, 11:31 PM
I get frustrated with Roosy's attitude sometimes too, but was he the main coach today? I thought Longmire was in charge. I agree that some of the selections were a bit strange. I think Currie should be given a chance, from what I have heard he and Pyke work well together in the reserves. Also I cant believe they picked Playfair, he's a soft player. Where is Ves? Why aren't they playing him if he's fit, is it that he is too much of an individual (a la Davo)? Let's give the young ones a chance and give some of the seniors who are obviously carrying injuries (O'Keefe) a rest.

Jewels
15th May 2010, 11:35 PM
Three weeks ago he was the messiah..........

You guys are all in the wrong jobs, I'm sure Richmond, Adelaide, Hawthorne could all use your expertise.

Damien
15th May 2010, 11:54 PM

You guys are all in the wrong jobs, I'm sure Richmond, Adelaide, Hawthorne could all use your expertise.

Discussing our perceptions of the coaches performance after a fairly bad game is no good because 3 weeks ago we were travelling nicely?

aardvark
16th May 2010, 12:10 AM
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. No one could have coached our team today well enough to beat the Doggies. With our 6 big outs back along with Birdy we could still be a top 4 side but no team can lose 7 players and still expect to be competitive with sides like the Cats and Dogs.

ugg
16th May 2010, 12:41 AM
I wonder what joke he shared with Steve Taubert at the end?

Roos: If you thought that was bad, wait till your ruck students face Sandilands next week.
Cue laughter.

swansrule100
16th May 2010, 01:46 AM
i think sometimes the turn against roosy is a bit much after a loss.

Bas
16th May 2010, 02:21 AM

Time to nail him to the cross then. Richmond draft better players, Crows draft younger players and Dorks getover THAT premiership.

If I was getting paid the money Roos is, I would be laughing after the game as well.

I hope Longmire has more options than Game A. Sadly Roos has shown that he hasn't.

Bloody Hell
16th May 2010, 05:47 AM
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. No one could have coached our team today well enough to beat the Doggies. With our 6 big outs back along with Birdy we could still be a top 4 side but no team can lose 7 players and still expect to be competitive with sides like the Cats and Dogs.

Not about winning, about the decisions he made.

Once Bradshaw was out White should have been slotted into FF. LRT, Currie, Goodes (yes) should have been played in the ruck....it balls to the wall. When put in bad situations at the selection table, he seems to err.

sfan
16th May 2010, 09:43 AM
i could not understand why we did not double team Hall. At least some of the time. He gets very frustrated at that tactic and does not handle well. Also why bring in Bevan and play him and jude in key forward roles. Never going to work. Vezpremi would have been a better bet

Rob-bloods
16th May 2010, 09:55 AM
We were beaten by a genuine Top 3 contender with 6 (7 if you include Moore) of our best 22 out. We are not the best team at present and had two 'rookies' out there today in Jetta and Rohan a couple of second year players and a tall (Playfair) merely in for being tall. And when the 6 out includes best defender, best forward, best small forward and both ruckmen what really can we expect?

I have not agreed with a lot of the moves/selections either but the single biggest issue in both recent defeats was the apparent lack of 'fight' when we were down.

Nico
16th May 2010, 10:24 AM
A rating as a coach.

We had a lot of players out and clearly ROK is not right. Who knows who else was sore and we had a 6 day turnaround as against 8. Having read both his books that give a clear line on his mindset on life, I doubt the man is in semi retirement mode. With that many vacancies in the side it would be very hard to know how to turn the side into a winning combo against the Bulldogs. I got the impression after quarter time it was a matter of trying to avoid total carnage.

He stead fastly sticks by his method of not bringing on young players until he thinks they are ready for the bigtime unless they are something special. I agree with the comments made by many RWOers on Bevan, Playfair and Richards but I suspect there are very good reasons why others wern't promoted. Ves not getting promoted by now appears puzzling but there were plenty of rumours about why he wasn't playing early on: body not right, over trained etc. MOD had off field attitude problems also.

On players not playing to instruction; does anyone think yesterday's style and execution was the coach's fault?

Hartijon
16th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Motivation ,desire to win,fighting when your down are all well and truly the coaches job to instill in the team.Roosey has had it easy with the great role models but now it is falling back on him. We were never going to win this match but how we lost was going to be important and measure where we were as a team.What do we see from the coach?
1. Poor player positioning (Bevan,White, Bolton)
2. No response to mismatches
3.!/2 time address given while leaning against the wall.The players took on his attitude in the second half
4.Joking and whistling after a thrashing.How many supporters felt like that?
5. Baffling player selection Thursday night

We can lose to a better team with better players,I can live with that,but we should at least be coached and led superbly. That didn't happen and it was a dissappointing performance from Roosey.On the other side of the ledger,Rocket coached well and was furious about a goal we got even when 6 goals up. He made changes immediately and hauled a player off. Looks like the Dogs don't carry any passengers !

Blood Fever
16th May 2010, 11:52 AM
Eade's temperament is suspect compared to Roos. Dogs lucky against Deed and got us with lots of injuries. When pressure on in big games, much prefer Roos' approach instead of Eade transferring his stress onto his players

aardvark
16th May 2010, 11:59 AM
Not about winning, about the decisions he made.

Once Bradshaw was out White should have been slotted into FF. LRT, Currie, Goodes (yes) should have been played in the ruck....it balls to the wall. When put in bad situations at the selection table, he seems to err.
People were questioning Roosy's demeanour throughout the game. He is smart enough to know there is no use flogging a dead horse. Tearing heads off people at that stage would only be counterproductive and destructive as Eade found out at the end of his time with the swans

UglyDuckling
16th May 2010, 12:03 PM
Eade's temperament is suspect compared to Roos. Dogs lucky against Deed and got us with lots of injuries. When pressure on in big games, much prefer Roos' approach instead of Eade transferring his stress onto his players

true that, i much prefer roos temprament to most other coaches. My issues are certainly tactical not to do with his personality

premiers05
16th May 2010, 02:29 PM

Maybe Mr Roos had a cunning plan. Swans never have liked Manuka and if you're going to lose one: lose against the Dogs at Manuka, and rest Bradshaw and McGlynn for Freo at the SCG. Rohan and Jetta have showed they can be trusted so now bring the rest of the new brigade to the fore

If I'm right in trusting the man who gave us a premiership , we will see faster younger Swans players grappling against the Dockers midfiled and two on Pavelich next week.

Ruckmen, you ask ? Well if youre up against Sandilands in his current form it doesnt matter who you pick . Replace our ruckmen with fast, bold, hard tackling taggers to bite his ankles and steal the clearances.

That's my view: Mr Roos took it easy to save up for the Dockers . And if youre saying there's no passion, how passionate was he with the backline in Round 1 against the Saints?? - He gave them the worst spray of his coaching career and came back for a second go at them. This is the guy who was 6 goals to zip down in the first quarter against the Eagles (when they still were the Eagles) and he was whistling during the break

BUT, then again, as my wife cynically says "When he's up against it, Roos goes to older experienced guys rather ,regardless of form, rather than take a chance on young talent. He just doesnt trust young players"

Maybe it's Freudian: is he reliving his own move into the Swans and hopes that older guys can do what he did?

Dont judge until after round 13. All we have to do this year is beat Collingwood

Jesse Richards
16th May 2010, 04:00 PM
As I walked away from the game I found myself thinking I won't be sorry to see Roos go. That surprised me, because I have been a staunch Roos supporter. Not because of his laid back demeanour, not because of game plan, decisions, selections or anything else in particular. I just had the impression that he hadn't come up with anything constructive at half time to get our boys back on track. My overall impression was that our boys played their guts out doing what they were told to do but there was a lack of team focus, a disconnect that others on RWO have explained in much more detail. I'm not blaming anyone in particularly for yesterday's loss - not Roos, not players individually nor collectively, not even those weird umpiring decisions - just had a generalised feeling of dissatisfaction and a desire for something different. Remember the Swans of the past few years - lost or won games by a goal or less, rallying, coming from behind, do or die efforts in the last quarter, commentators in amazement saying Here come the Swans - after having written them off in the second quarter - and the opposing team bewildered by our quick goals and ferocious desperation tackles....Maybe now Roos' instructions are to stay safe, we can't afford any more injuries? I really thought that this year we could play well enough not to have the need for those heart stopping final quarters, but now I'm wondering if we have lost that big heart that set the Swans apart from all the other teams.

Bas
16th May 2010, 05:07 PM

And the difference is that the Dogs WIN and we lose.

aardvark
16th May 2010, 05:46 PM
And the difference is that the Dogs WIN and we lose.
The dogs didn't have 7 of their better performed players absent.

hammo
16th May 2010, 06:34 PM
For mine a D- at best.
Even a D- is generous! If you ask me that was the worst coaching performance in his time at the club. Injuries can be a legitimate excuse but the fact is the team balance was totally out of kilter and that started with the team selection.

Vonsteinman
16th May 2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah I wasn't impressed at half time when I saw him with hand in pockets and leaning against the wall, also wasn't that impressed with him sharing a joke on the bench after the final siren. I know a lot of fans love his attitude and probably don't care, but I want passion, I want the coach to reflect the frustration we all felt.

I'd rate today at C-, really didn't see much imagination go into our setup, today was the day to throw caution to the wind.

Why does he need to show frustration and do his block? It's not the way he behaves naturally, the players would see right through it. If there is a reason to go crook at the blokes, he does it - as witnessed at 3qt in the Saints game.

Far out guys, there's maybe one team - that being Geelong - that could lose a third of the team and match it with a "top 4" side.

I'm sure that if he had the cattle on the park and we were anywhere near that far down against the Dogs, there would have been a bit more emotion. But there really is no use ranting and raving on a playing group so depleted that it can't match the opposition.

Damien
16th May 2010, 07:20 PM
Why does he need to show frustration and do his block? It's not the way he behaves naturally, the players would see right through it. If there is a reason to go crook at the blokes, he does it - as witnessed at 3qt in the Saints game.

Far out guys, there's maybe one team - that being Geelong - that could lose a third of the team and match it with a "top 4" side.

I'm sure that if he had the cattle on the park and we were anywhere near that far down against the Dogs, there would have been a bit more emotion. But there really is no use ranting and raving on a playing group so depleted that it can't match the opposition.

Did I say anything about going crook? I realise some of you are hell bent on defening Roos to the hilt, but some of us weren't impressed yesterday. If I presented to my staff at work leaning against the wall with my hands in my pocket, I can assure you my MD would have me in his office and ask if I was actually still interested in my job. We are allowed to question Roos surely?

Just like discussing players fortunes, the coaches fortunes will go up and down throughout the year and it is a fair discussion point.

Your last paragraph disturbs me the most to honest. I doubt Roos felt defeated before the game or even at half time, but I can tell you if we ever have a coach with that attitude, no matter what side we put on the park, I don't want them at our club.

bigswan
16th May 2010, 09:35 PM
Blaming the coach after a loss is pretty poor. We're better than Essendon supporters surely. I don't think he could have cone much better. I'll put my trust and confidence in him any day.

Damien
16th May 2010, 10:02 PM
Blaming the coach after a loss is pretty poor. We're better than Essendon supporters surely. I don't think he could have cone much better. I'll put my trust and confidence in him any day.

Still unsure why so many get so defensive to any criticism of Roos on gameday? My understanding is that he is human and has bad days occasionally, he isn't a protected species that is a god when we win and blameless when we lose.

In anycase, I don't think anyone is blaming him, just rating his match day coaching performance against the Western Bulldogs. If our fans start spitting on him or start calling for his head, I'll be right there for the defence, but I'll be damned if fans can't discuss how he went and tactical frustrations.

Bas
16th May 2010, 10:17 PM
The dogs didn't have 7 of their better performed players absent.

Not refering to yesterday. Generally speaking. I miss the old days when Eade would smash the phone, yell every obscenity under the sun then flap his arms at 160km hr during 1/4 and 3/4 time. It was just letting the players know what everyone in the stands was feeling.

Although having said that, I don't think I've ever heard the team get booed off the ground like they did under Eade.

Bugger, shot myself in the foot. :(

Vonsteinman
16th May 2010, 10:31 PM
If I presented to my staff at work leaning against the wall with my hands in my pocket, I can assure you my MD would have me in his office and ask if I was actually still interested in my job. We are allowed to question Roos surely?

Unless your surname is Hardwick mate, this is completely irrelevent.

In my line of work, if I "reflect the frustration" that is sometimes felt by observers with a vested interest in my operation (and at times the frustration that I might be feeling), then I would know that it was time to move on from my role.

But so what. I am glad that we have a coach who can calmly address his players when things aren't going right - especially when your starting ruck pair, your most decorated defender, arguably your best forward and two or three more of your first side are not playing. I think it's fair to say, that approach has taken the side to more victories than defeats.

Damien
16th May 2010, 10:33 PM
Not refering to yesterday. Generally speaking. I miss the old days when Eade would smash the phone, yell every obscenity under the sun then flap his arms at 160km hr during 1/4 and 3/4 time. It was just letting the players know what everyone in the stands was feeling.

Although having said that, I don't think I've ever heard the team get booed off the ground like they did under Eade.

Bugger, shot myself in the foot. :(

lol I often wonder how David Parkin would go coaching Sydney. He would probably be getting Frequent Customer points from the cardiac unit at the Prince of Wales at Randwick I think.

On the boo thing though, I am trying to think of when the boys have been booed off ever? I do remember about 10 years ago at a game, a few in the upper decks giving them a boo, but the lower Brewongle have famously clapped them off in all circumstances I thought?

Damien
16th May 2010, 11:13 PM
Unless your surname is Hardwick mate, this is completely irrelevent.

In my line of work, if I "reflect the frustration" that is sometimes felt by observers with a vested interest in my operation (and at times the frustration that I might be feeling), then I would know that it was time to move on from my role.

But so what. I am glad that we have a coach who can calmly address his players when things aren't going right - especially when your starting ruck pair, your most decorated defender, arguably your best forward and two or three more of your first side are not playing. I think it's fair to say, that approach has taken the side to more victories than defeats.

Fair enough, entitled to your opinion, not quite sure why I have to be an AFL coach to make a comparison (it's all about presenting and getting the best out of people, Roos often makes the same comparison to business).

I think it was a bad day for Roos and the team played with the same lethargy he seemed to be displaying. All I saw was a team getting more and more disorganised as the game went on and were lucky not to lose by more. I grew up with a father who was first a footballer and then a coach, and I'd hate Roos to be like the Coaches he had who often replaced most English words with 4 letter words starting with F, but Saturday I strongly felt as if our excuses had already been made, in both Roos demeanor and the way the side played. I've been frustrated a bit over the past 7 years for various reasons (typically relating to St Kilda games haha), but Saturday was the first day where I felt like the team knew it was OK to lose.

Roos is a legend of the Club, our only living Premiership Coach and it's been a fantastic ride, history tells us it will probably all be fine and this period is a blip thanks to a high injury toll but we are allowed to be frustrated with him, just as we are allowed to be frustrated with players, no matter who it is.

Sigh. Time for me to move on from this game! Bring on Freo.

SwansFan1972
16th May 2010, 11:15 PM
He was reacting appropriately to a result which most, apart from us ardent supporters, would have expected.

All up yesterday was pretty awful, but a bit of perspective - the team was drastically undermanned, and was playing the pre-season premiership favourite after copping a belting from the reigning premier - and both away from the considerable comforts of home. They all had a bad day - it happens, move on.

We are still ahead of where most were expecting pre-season, and considering the outs over the last fortnight, we can't really be too surprised about these two losses. Sucks to lose - especially when footy tipping for me over the last two weeks has delivered two 7/8's with both losses being the only matches I really cared about and wanted a win in! :( Loyalty costs ...

And hey - at least it took four key position outs (FB, FF and both rucks) to puncture our tyres a bit. St Kilda have been exposed as the ultimate one man band - with Kleenex out, they are a rabble. Sucks to be a Saints fan more than a Swans fan me thinks - dreams of premiership glory turning to dust faster than a Jetstar sprint down the wing ...

Big Al
16th May 2010, 11:29 PM
lol I often wonder how David Parkin would go coaching Sydney. He would probably be getting Frequent Customer points from the cardiac unit at the Prince of Wales at Randwick I think.

On the boo thing though, I am trying to think of when the boys have been booed off ever? I do remember about 10 years ago at a game, a few in the upper decks giving them a boo, but the lower Brewongle have famously clapped them off in all circumstances I thought?

The only game I can recall the crowd booing was when the Saints pumped us by 100 points in 98 at the SCG.

aardvark
16th May 2010, 11:33 PM
Fair enough, entitled to your opinion, not quite sure why I have to be an AFL coach to make a comparison (it's all about presenting and getting the best out of people, Roos often makes the same comparison to business).

I think it was a bad day for Roos and the team played with the same lethargy he seemed to be displaying. All I saw was a team getting more and more disorganised as the game went on and were lucky not to lose by more. I grew up with a father who was first a footballer and then a coach, and I'd hate Roos to be like the Coaches he had who often replaced most English words with 4 letter words starting with F, but Saturday I strongly felt as if our excuses had already been made, in both Roos demeanor and the way the side played. I've been frustrated a bit over the past 7 years for various reasons (typically relating to St Kilda games haha), but Saturday was the first day where I felt like the team knew it was OK to lose.

Roos is a legend of the Club, our only living Premiership Coach and it's been a fantastic ride, history tells us it will probably all be fine and this period is a blip thanks to a high injury toll but we are allowed to be frustrated with him, just as we are allowed to be frustrated with players, no matter who it is.

Sigh. Time for me to move on from this game! Bring on Freo.
I do understand where you are coming from. There was a lot of being resigned to losing going on and it is disappointing.

Bas
17th May 2010, 09:13 AM

Parkin was classic.

You were in striking distance on the lower level at Brewongle whereas upstairs no such problem.

Jeffers1984
17th May 2010, 09:17 AM
Damien;485961

IIRC i think they were booed off in a 2002 game against the Bulldogs. at the SCG.

Bas
17th May 2010, 11:08 AM
The Bombers yesterday rotated their ruck stocks through full forward. I imagined we would have done the same on Saturday, we didn't.

bigswan
17th May 2010, 12:39 PM
The game was lost because we were unable to move the ball quickly enough through the midfield so that outr forward line could compete one off or better still run off onto the ball. Samson at FF would not have a difference considering the ball use. What's that got to do with Roos. He can't get on the ground himself. Be reasonable we were beaten by a better side and werte not able to play our game. End of story.

Jewels
17th May 2010, 01:17 PM
IIRC i think they were booed off in a 2002 game against the Bulldogs. at the SCG.

Yes. That was my very first live game and I was stunned at the booing.

Cheer_Cheer
17th May 2010, 01:23 PM

I was at that game.. I kinda got the feeling at the time that the booing was directed at Eade rather than the players though..