PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Underwood

aardvark
16th May 2010, 05:58 PM
Why oh why do we have to listen to this uninformed drivel. I don't mind the idea of females commentating BUT they should at least have some idea of what they are talking about.Channel 10 GET RID OF HER NOW

ScottH
16th May 2010, 06:01 PM
The two most dullest talkers in the business, Kelli Underpants, and Harry Highpants.
Why are we so lucky?

31 hard at it
16th May 2010, 06:50 PM
With Matthew (watch my arching back) lloyd "expert " comments - between then they incorrectly or just did not know players names on 10 + occassions.
Not a great performance by them - made watching even tougher -
Constantly argument with self over who to yell at
1) Umpires - Who want to appear "in control and on tv" :frown
2)Commentators with no ability to analyse or even recognize players. :rolleyes:
3) Swans turnovers or loss of momentum from the centre stoppages :eek:

Very frustrating day :confused:

Robbo
16th May 2010, 07:03 PM
And he drills it.

unconfuseme
16th May 2010, 07:38 PM
A lot of blokes only watch the footy so they don't have to listen to a woman;) not me of course!

SwansFan1972
16th May 2010, 07:46 PM
Best part was when they started talking about Lloydy as a sailor (keeping the Jessica Watson flavour of the day going presumably). If she knew anything, she'd know diving was more his go ...

ScottH
16th May 2010, 08:13 PM
Kelly, After a shaw free against. "And Heath Shaw comes off the ground"
Harry replies, "Yes Heath Shaw is coming off"

What the??

SwansFan1972
16th May 2010, 08:44 PM
Kelly, After a shaw free against. "And Heath Shaw comes off the ground"
Harry replies, "Yes Heath Shaw is coming off"

What the??

Our heckles rose at that too ...

Hope they're paying peanuts for that broadcast team, it sure is obvious what we're getting ..

And another thing ... Lloydy seems to take delight in having a sledge at players - one comment was about Pykey - "you get absolutely nothing from him around the ground". Whoa hey ... might be true (and I'm not yet convinced), but potshots like that are pretty lousy. Seems to be spreading a bit through the 10 commentary teams tho - Blight goes over the top, and Walls - well - he makes Darth Vader look like the galaxy's supreme optimist ...

It's so easy to sit back and snipe. The amazing thing is that the AFL sweetness and light 'paper over the cracks' brigade led by Adrian Anderson haven't been getting stuck into them for trashing the brand!

Melbourne_Blood
16th May 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm glad we can all agree on this at least.

Underwood = Dud commentator with possibly THE most irritating voice on television. It's not that she's a Woman, it's that she's NO BLOODY GOOD!

And Loyd = Worse special comments guy ever!

Nice work ten.

Dont get me started on Channel 7! Goal is scored , 1 ad, 2 ads, 3 ads, 4 ads, 5 ads, what am i watching again ?

IMO FoxSports is the only bearable broadcaster.

Robbo
17th May 2010, 12:04 AM
And she is always 5 seconds behind the play.

Doctor
20th January 2011, 03:28 PM
Female AFL commentator flicked | AFL | Fox Sports (http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/channel-10-shelves-experiment-with-kelli-underwood-the-first-female-to-call-afl-on-television/story-e6frf33l-1225991676633)

Bas
21st January 2011, 10:18 AM
No more Kellie on the AFL telly. If only she could take Lloyd and Walls with her.

On the positive, more footy shows this year.

Jewels
22nd January 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm all for the sisterhood and all that BUT her voice was TERRIBLE!!!!!!

And yes Bas, all we need now is for Lloyd and Walls to go the same way and footy will be somewhere close to bearable to watch.

reigning premier
24th January 2011, 10:57 PM
One of the more informed commentators. Just a pity she was so annoying. Right decision to sack her. C10 has probably put the cause of women in AFL commentary back another 20 years by giving her a chance in the first place. Prime example of trying to be PC that backfired badly. Serves 'em right really.

Yuri H
25th January 2011, 09:47 AM
Replace her with one our own far more knowledgeable and entertaining woman RWOers, I say!

laughingnome
25th January 2011, 10:04 AM
Replace her with one our own far more knowledgeable and entertaining woman RWOers, I say!

Not that she's on RWO, but why did they go with Underwood over someone like, say, Christi Malthouse?

Robbo
27th January 2011, 05:27 PM
Thank God for that. Lewis Jetta kicking his 1st goal last year was a great moment but it was ruined by her commentary.

Primmy
27th January 2011, 05:59 PM
I am glad this has all been said. I felt a bit disloyal for not sticking up for her, but honestly that voice....its not good Kelly, sorry. I am sure she is a good journalist and all that, but no, I cannot back the Sisterhood in this instance. Not her fault. Blame the genes.

Was thinking about all this and I must admit to a personal preferance for women to be calling anything being played by women and not having men comentate. The reverse hangs true too......male voices for male played games.

I am sure there is a female god up there shaking her fist at me even as I type.

Lucky Knickers
27th January 2011, 09:09 PM
Thank God for that. Lewis Jetta kicking his 1st goal last year was a great moment but it was ruined by her commentary.
See...I thought that was one of her best moments. You could tell how desperately she wanted him to kick it and how carried away in the moment she was just like us.
Toast to Kelly. I think she did a fabulous job. Her voice didn't bother me at all and I really liked that she talked about football and didn't divert off the commentary to a little chat about what Leigh Colbert was wearing on the boundary or some other unrelated navel gazing from the ex-players that make up the lions share of commentary teams.
But there you go - chalk up another win for style over substance.

Not that Leigh didn't look HOT

Yuri H
28th January 2011, 10:18 AM
See...I thought that was one of her best moments. You could tell how desperately she wanted him to kick it and how carried away in the moment she was just like us.

Yeah, I liked that moment of hers too, myself.

Big Al
28th January 2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I liked that moment of hers too, myself.

I had no issue with how she commentated that particular sequence of play but unfortunately it always comes back to the same thing...THAT VOICE.

Any chance that Harry Hi Pants be given the boot as well...

Big Al
28th January 2011, 12:30 PM

What a suck up :) ;)

Wish I'd though of it

Wardy
28th January 2011, 07:28 PM

goes without saying!!!;):D

However poor Kelly who really did know her stuff and in alot of casses better than the chaps - didnt stand a chance with the voice. I'm surprised that network Ten didnt spring for voice coaching - I reckon she would have got more air time. Anyway I vote for Lucky Knickers & Kirkari - now there are two women who know their stuff ,tell it like it is & with good humour - perhaps they would be the new "Graham and the Colonel" (for those who dont know who G &TC are - watch old re runs of The Late Show) and of course they will need to be hydrated throughout the broadcast - so I will be on hand to serve the refreshments.;)

Jewels
29th January 2011, 10:12 AM
goes without saying!!!;):D

However poor Kelly who really did know her stuff and in alot of casses better than the chaps - didnt stand a chance with the voice. I'm surprised that network Ten didnt spring for voice coaching - I reckon she would have got more air time. Anyway I vote for Lucky Knickers & Kirkari - now there are two women who know their stuff ,tell it like it is & with good humour - perhaps they would be the new "Graham and the Colonel" (for those who dont know who G &TC are - watch old re runs of The Late Show) and of course they will need to be hydrated throughout the broadcast - so I will be on hand to serve the refreshments.;)

I never realized that Kirkari was one of the sisterhood!

Wardy
31st January 2011, 06:24 PM
I never realized that Kirkari was one of the sisterhood!

oh yes she is - and a very cluey member of the sisterhood at that!

Dalai Lama
2nd February 2011, 05:11 PM
Kelly Underpants woods? Most confusing

ScottH
2nd February 2011, 07:28 PM
Kelly Underpants woods? Most confusing

You certainly are.

ShockOfHair
3rd February 2011, 05:28 AM
It seems this thread won't die, so I may as well confess -- make sure you're sitting down -- I kind of like Kelly Underwood. Not that she's the greatest caller around, but I like that she is (or was) eloquent, well-informed and respectful of the game. Compared with the smug and self-important plodders she was teamed with, she was a breath of fresh air.

As for her legendary alleged "flat voice", what can I say: the Australian media is dominated by cretinous monotone voices. I'm bemused as to why AFL fans have somehow singled her out when game commentaries routinely include the likes of Gary Lyons and Robert Walls, who speak in a manner incomprehensible to most English speakers.

It'll be years before any broadcaster is brave enough to introduce another female match caller. In the meantime we'll have to endure the usual banalities and worn-out superlatives, not to mention barely-disguised team allegiances (hi Tim Lane!).

End of rant. Let's keep the boringness going.

RogueSwan
3rd February 2011, 10:38 AM
... Anyway I vote for Lucky Knickers & Kirkari - now there are two women who know their stuff ,tell it like it is & with good humour -...

How would they go showing any sort of excitement for a game between, say, the Blues and Bummers?

liz
3rd February 2011, 11:23 AM
It seems this thread won't die, so I may as well confess -- make sure you're sitting down -- I kind of like Kelly Underwood. Not that she's the greatest caller around, but I like that she is (or was) eloquent, well-informed and respectful of the game. Compared with the smug and self-important plodders she was teamed with, she was a breath of fresh air.

As for her legendary alleged "flat voice", what can I say: the Australian media is dominated by cretinous monotone voices. I'm bemused as to why AFL fans have somehow singled her out when game commentaries routinely include the likes of Gary Lyons and Robert Walls, who speak in a manner incomprehensible to most English speakers.

It'll be years before any broadcaster is brave enough to introduce another female match caller. In the meantime we'll have to endure the usual banalities and worn-out superlatives, not to mention barely-disguised team allegiances (hi Tim Lane!).

End of rant. Let's keep the boringness going.

I had thought about posting the same sentiment - but hadn't got around to it. Completely agree. I think some people struggled to adjust to a female voice commentating, because they just weren't used to it. But while Underwood's voice might not be the most elegant, it is certainly no worse than many of the long term male drones who we put up with. Give me her voice over, say, Matthew Lloyd's anyday of the week and again on Sundays.

I thought her call of the Jetta goal was far more interesting than any of the three radio calls of the same passage that were broadcast on Fox's midweek show.

aardvark
3rd February 2011, 11:33 AM
I had thought about posting the same sentiment - but hadn't got around to it. Completely agree. I think some people struggled to adjust to a female voice commentating, because they just weren't used to it. But while Underwood's voice might not be the most elegant, it is certainly no worse than many of the long term male drones who we put up with. Give me her voice over, say, Matthew Lloyd's anyday of the week and again on Sundays.

I thought her call of the Jetta goal was far more interesting than any of the three radio calls of the same passage that were broadcast on Fox's midweek show.

Mostly like chalk on a blackboard really........glad she's gone

jono2707
3rd February 2011, 12:51 PM

I liked her too. It was typical boofy chauvinism that forced her out. Some people just can't stand women to be any more heavily involved in footy than bouncing around jiggling things with a pom pom or two for show. Poor...

Big Al
3rd February 2011, 01:01 PM
I liked her too. It was typical boofy chauvinism that forced her out. Some people just can't stand women to be any more heavily involved in footy than bouncing around jiggling things with a pom pom or two for show. Poor...

How do you explain the ladies that didn't like the voice either???

I get sick and tired of people blaming the .. Isms when something doesn't go right. The fact is a majority of people don't like her voice, it's that simple and has nothing to with chauvinism.

liz
3rd February 2011, 03:21 PM
How do you explain the ladies that didn't like the voice either???

I get sick and tired of people blaming the .. Isms when something doesn't go right. The fact is a majority of people don't like her voice, it's that simple and has nothing to with chauvinism.

No, but arguably "the majority of people" (verifiable to the same degree as the number who didn't like Underwood's voice) don't like the voices of numerous other AFL commentators - who all happen to be men. And most of them not only have irritating voices but they also commentate dribble most of the time. And yet these substandard male commentators survive for season after season.

So no, we can't conclude that Underwood's stay was a short one because she was a woman. But I find it quite hard to believe that worse male commentators have had different standards applied to them.

Lucky Knickers
3rd February 2011, 05:56 PM
How would they go showing any sort of excitement for a game between, say, the Blues and Bummers?
An excellent question there Rogue Swan. Just off the top my head......
When Juddy has the ball I would be very very similar to Bruce. Delicious and special even when he cocked it up. I would probably then digress to Twigs maternity wear. I think I could talk about the "fab four" really being a "Fab 1" and say "reigning brownlow medallist" A LOT. I think a bit of Etihad surface issues could be included and I could also rave about the EXCELLENT-NESS of the beer holders whilst bemoaning the mid strength.
I could make lots of suggestions to give <insert player name> a "run in the ruck, on the ball, down back".
In the final quarter I would have run out of football and would move to Carlton's sell out the mighty bloods and allude to sources close the club revealing salary cap breaches by way of third party player payments.
When Lloydy was around I had plenty on the Dons so I admit quite a bit of my material has had to retire. However, I can tell you that I would take every opportunity and great pleasure in calling Mark McVeigh "Jarrad" and Leroy Jetta "Lewis" or even "Neville" and wonder why they ever traded Ted Richards.
I would also be calling for Hirdy's delightful head on a platter when they don't win a game and discuss the re-building of a culture on a foundation of hypocrisy and deceit (insert Bomber references).
I could do that with lots of excitement and with a very deeeeeppppp voice!

Wardy
3rd February 2011, 06:17 PM
No, but arguably "the majority of people" (verifiable to the same degree as the number who didn't like Underwood's voice) don't like the voices of numerous other AFL commentators - who all happen to be men. And most of them not only have irritating voices but they also commentate dribble most of the time. And yet these substandard male commentators survive for season after season.

So no, we can't conclude that Underwood's stay was a short one because she was a woman. But I find it quite hard to believe that worse male commentators have had different standards applied to them.

look I tried and tried and tried to listen too her - and as I have said many times before - she knows her stuff (and better than some of the men) BUT I just couldnt get over the voice. I'm quite a tolerant woman but it was like listening to Pauline Hanson & Julia Gillard combined and for me to have to turn the sound down and put on the wireless instead is drastic, but it had to be done . Its sad that this was the case, but I'm pretty sure it contributed too it. However its TV - and its a sexist business, always has been - and it isnt going to change any time soon. The rules are different from women too men - I mean case in point Laurie Oaks - possibly one of the most unnattractive men on the teve - but he still gets the gig! I still reckon that Lucky K 's commentary would be great value though - I might write to channel 10 and suggest it.

Jewels
3rd February 2011, 06:46 PM
look I tried and tried and tried to listen too her - and as I have said many times before - she knows her stuff (and better than some of the men) BUT I just couldnt get over the voice. I'm quite a tolerant woman but it was like listening to Pauline Hanson & Julia Gillard combined and for me to have to turn the sound down and put on the wireless instead is drastic, but it had to be done . Its sad that this was the case, but I'm pretty sure it contributed too it. However its TV - and its a sexist business, always has been - and it isnt going to change any time soon. The rules are different from women too men - I mean case in point Laurie Oaks - possibly one of the most unnattractive men on the teve - but he still gets the gig! I still reckon that Lucky K 's commentary would be great value though - I might write to channel 10 and suggest it.

Spot on Wardy and I luuuuuuuuvvvv the comparison, VERY fitting!
Yes, she does know her stuff and yes she didn't dribble on inanely, but in my opinion her, along with Lloyd, are THE hardest to listen to.

Lucky Knickers
3rd February 2011, 07:09 PM
Kelly should take up chain smoking. With a voice like Patty or Selma Bouvier I think I nice compromise could be met.

stellation
4th February 2011, 05:15 PM
Kelly should take up chain smoking. With a voice like Patty or Selma Bouvier I think I nice compromise could be met.

"Leading Women Promote Smoking As Career Boost"

Wardy
4th February 2011, 06:11 PM

:rofl or sound like the "Im Elanore La Gore, its Tuesday night and this is the Saturday show" (Fast Forward fans will know who I'm talking about) and "lets give a big Woooooo for Lucky Knickers!!!"

Big Al
4th February 2011, 06:31 PM
:rofl or sound like the "Im Elanore La Gore, its Tuesday night and this is the Saturday show" (Fast Forward fans will know who I'm talking about) and "lets give a big Woooooo for Lucky Knickers!!!"

Brilliant... Gina Riley was very good in that. Inga from Sweden would be better yah

Wardy
4th February 2011, 06:43 PM
Brilliant... Gina Riley was very good in that. Inga from Sweden would be better yah

Bob & Cheryl Ugly would make a great duo of commentary!!! Coz "they like to watch"!!!!

Lucky Knickers
4th February 2011, 07:10 PM
"Leading Women Promote Smoking As Career Boost"
Is Leading Women similar to Leading Teams?

stellation
4th February 2011, 07:34 PM
Is Leading Women similar to Leading Teams?

I should know this, I've been leading women astray for years.

Lucky Knickers
4th February 2011, 08:24 PM
Don't blame yourself. Blame the guns.