PDA

View Full Version : Swans set to abandon Western Sydney/ANZ Stadium

Beaussie
18th May 2010, 09:31 AM
Good news for GWS with the Sydney Showground redevelopment set to go ahead, however very disappointing from the Swans perspective. I can't believe we are going to give the entire western Sydney region over to GWS by not playing any games at ANZ Stadium. Our biggest ever crowds have always been at ANZ Stadium. Seriously stupid move by the club if true.

How are we expected to grow our crowds whilst being based full time at the SCG? Do we represent Sydney or just the eastern suburbs?

$45m to build ground for Greater Western Sydney
Peter Lalor
May 18, 2010 12:00AM

THE division of NSW's AFL notional tribes will soon be complete, with the state government set to announce it will subsidise a redevelopment of the Sydney Showground, a move that will free the Swans from the code's commitment to the adjacent ANZ Stadium.

The Australian understands the AFL, the state government and the new Greater Western Sydney club will make an announcement next week.

Under the agreed terms, the government will put in an estimated $45 million to convert the showground into an AFL stadium for the GWS, which is due to enter the competition in 2012.

The showground is part of the Homebush Olympic precinct which also contains ANZ Stadium, but the two venues are run by separate bodies.

GWS and the AFL are reluctant to schedule anything but blockbuster matches at ANZ for fear the small crowds in an 81,000-seat venue will be bad publicity for the start-up club.

The new showground stadium will seat about 30,000 fans.

GWS will play nine matches at the showground and will take over the three matches the AFL is contractually obliged to play at ANZ Stadium as part of the arrangement that effectively divides Sydney in two.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/m-to-build-ground-for-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frg7mf-1225867938889

erica
18th May 2010, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm happy. Even though I live in Parramatta and ANZ is closer to me, I still hate that stadium. I'll be glad to have all our games at the SCG again.

Jesse Richards
18th May 2010, 10:06 AM
How are we expected to grow our crowds whilst being based full time at the SCG?

We are not expected to grow our crowd - we are expected to lose supporters to GWS.

hammo
The SCG can host 45,000 these days and after the next stage of redevelopment that could be 50,000. More than big enough capacity for the Swans to grow crowds.

ugg
The article doesn't specifically say that the Swans won't play any more matches at ANZ, only that they are free from contractual obligations to do so. You would imagine that for blockbusters like the Collingwood game, they would still have to play at ANZ, because the crowds they draw for those matches are greater than the capacity of the SCG.

Cheer Squad
18th May 2010, 10:22 AM
Lalor goes on to make this claim in his article :

"The Swans have played three games a year at ANZ as part of the deal, ... and the matches have struggled to attract fans".

Really? If he'd done his homework, he would have known that the biggest crowds we've ever played to in Sydney were at Homebush. In fact, the 10 biggest crowds there have averaged more than 61,000 per match, something the SCG can never equal.

Unfortunately, some journalists in Sydney let their prejudices get in the way of objective reporting. Last week, Sebastian Hassett reported in the Herald that Homebush was not part of Australia's bid for the 2018/2022 World Cup. Two days later, when the bid books were published, he was shown to be wrong. Makes you wonder why he bothered making the misleading statement in the first place.

Cheer_Cheer
18th May 2010, 10:23 AM
I would think a local Derby game would be played at ANZ for rivarly round ? When I was in Sydney I was living out west but still preferred the SCG to ANZ.

msb
18th May 2010, 10:27 AM
At least we'd have a decent chance of beating collingwood at the SCG instead of ANZ IMHO!

Cheer Squad
18th May 2010, 10:35 AM
At least we'd have a decent chance of beating collingwood at the SCG instead of ANZ IMHO!

Not sure why you think the SCG affords us any special protection. Collingwood beat us the last time we played them there. Actually, Collingwood have beat us wherever we've played them recently.

Damien
18th May 2010, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of us losing our contractual obligation, but as Ugg pointed out, it doesn't mean the Swans wont negotiate something with ANZ for big games.

I'd prefer to play GWS at the SCG anyway, I don't like the idea of playing on their turf just for a crowd and I'd prefer our finals to be at the SCG too (Finals money goes to the AFL, so it's all about the best home advantage IMO)

CJK
18th May 2010, 10:58 AM
The fewer games at Homebush the better.

Big Al
18th May 2010, 11:04 AM
That's bloody fantastic news. 11 games at the SCG and the local derby at ANZ is absolutely ideal.

Imagine 45,000 jammed into the SCG against the Pies. The place would rock.

Swanner
18th May 2010, 11:04 AM

given you live in surry hills not suprising comment.

ROK Lobster
18th May 2010, 11:09 AM
The article doesn't specifically say that the Swans won't play any more matches at ANZ, only that they are free from contractual obligations to do so.That was the bit that caught my attention. Very different from saying that Sydney wont play there. Maybe a bit less, but not not at all.

CJK
18th May 2010, 11:11 AM

Ture - I'll be moving next month though and my thoughts will remain the same.

Big Al
18th May 2010, 11:26 AM

I live closer to ANZ than the SCG and I love this new direction. The SCG is our spiritual home and and it's where we belong.

Captain
18th May 2010, 12:18 PM
The less games at ANZ the better for mine. That place is rubbish to watch any sport.

royboy42
18th May 2010, 12:37 PM
The less games at ANZ the better for mine. That place is rubbish to watch any sport.

It was great for an Olympic games..forget the rest!

Jewels
18th May 2010, 01:23 PM

Agree

That's bloody fantastic news. 11 games at the SCG and the local derby at ANZ is absolutely ideal.

Imagine 45,000 jammed into the SCG against the Pies. The place would rock.
Agree

Not sure why you think the SCG affords us any special protection. Collingwood beat us the last time we played them there. Actually, Collingwood have beat us wherever we've played them recently.
We haven't played them at the SCG since 2000 and whilst they did win that one, prior to that they had only won five of fifteen played there.

andyn
18th May 2010, 02:02 PM
ANZ was worth a try for us, but it hasn't ever really caught on consistently ... not in the fickle Sydney market. People in Sydney don't support live sport like Melbourne does. The Rugby League celebrates 30,000 to a game between 2 of the most well supported Sydney teams! So I think that if Sydney was going to expand into Western Sydney, we would have already achieved it. If people aren't with us now, they're going to support GWS because it'll be their local team. There will be a great blockbuster on between GWS and Swans that will be held at ANZ, but everything else should be at the SCG. In the Premier League, the crowds are greatly restricted and its hard to get tickets unless you're a member. If we can expand our club's support so that there is an average crowd of 40,000 and people need to think ahead to make sure they get a seat, that should be our first priority.

swansrule100
18th May 2010, 02:05 PM
as long as we play finals at the scg and dont suddenly have to go out to the bigger stadium

andyn
18th May 2010, 02:15 PM
as long as we play finals at the scg and dont suddenly have to go out to the bigger stadium

I know. I still remember sitting with 19000 people in a lonely grandstand in 2008. Worst finals crowd since when?

aardvark
18th May 2010, 02:49 PM
How about a few games at the good ol' Lake oval...........although the grandstand could use a coat of paint....... and a fence...........and some posts........whoops sorry daydreaming again.

floppinab
18th May 2010, 02:54 PM
How about a few games at the good ol' Lake oval...........although the grandstand could use a coat of paint....... and a fence...........and some posts........whoops sorry daydreaming again.

Good call, I like both, they both bring aspects to the game for mine and would be disappointed if they gave up Homebush completely (it's a @@@@load easier for most to get into and out of Homebush compared to the SCG), would like to see the Swans home version of the derby there + 1 other game.

laughingnome
18th May 2010, 03:48 PM
In the Premier League, the crowds are greatly restricted and its hard to get tickets unless you're a member. If we can expand our club's support so that there is an average crowd of 40,000 and people need to think ahead to make sure they get a seat, that should be our first priority.

There's two sides to this. The SCG will be a 50,000 seat stadium when the next renovations are complete, and 40,000 (sydney or near sydney based) members is certainly a eager site in such a ground. It should be kept in mind though that some tickets are usually reserved for the other team (I don't know the figure, but I imagine somewhere up to 5000), leaving only 5000 tickets for general sale plus any member resells. It assures a near full-house every game but I worry about the appeal to potential fans if getting a ticket becomes too hard. Additionally, there would be very little growth room for new members, adding to the exclusiveness of a game that should be for all.

Damien
18th May 2010, 04:35 PM
When the capacity is 50K, a Sydney member cap of 28 or 30K (more than reasonable) would be put in place, allowing the Members area, corp and away fans plenty of room and around 10-15K a week for new and casual fans.

I think it will allow for real growth and it's a realistic stadium size for us. Let's remember we have made the finals most years since ANZ has been open (including a Premiership), and despite some great crowds there, have we even threatened to get near 30K Sydney based members in that time?

We will have a 50K capacity ground, in the heart our of "official zones" from 2012 that we train on, have our offices at and has been our home since 1982. I really can't see the value in being out at ANZ for any reason once GWS comes in and Sheedy converts the masses ;)

Adelaide Swan
18th May 2010, 04:41 PM

The Lake Oval(if we're talking about our old ground down in South Melbourne) no longer exists as far as I know.

It is now Bob Jane Stadium which is used for South Melbourne Soccer Club and is a rectangular stadium.

Austadiums.com :: Bob Jane Stadium (http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=15)

The only link to us the ground still has is the old main grandstand which is now disused.

Primmy
18th May 2010, 04:43 PM
Suits me big time. I can get to the ressies games without drama. I don't like ANZ. I have to walk a hell of a distance to even reach my bus, or the game (whichever), and I am not as spry as I think I am and its taking a toll. Of course I am sure the Swans are not taking this particular problem into consideration, but I am. However, if the SCG can loo it up like the ANZ I would be a lot happier!

aardvark
18th May 2010, 06:42 PM
The Lake Oval(if we're talking about our old ground down in South Melbourne) no longer exists as far as I know.

It is now Bob Jane Stadium which is used for South Melbourne Soccer Club and is a rectangular stadium

What a shame. I have fond memories of standing in the rain in the outer on steel beer cans trying to see the game through the fog and being unable to recognise the players because of the mud. the highlight of the day being the hot pies at half time (14 cents each) and the occasional swannies win.
I guess the point i'm trying to make is that either stadium is fine and maybe people are being a bit precious.

nicko18
18th May 2010, 07:27 PM
Proabably the swans won't have the crowds to play 3 games a year out at Homebush, but i'd like to think we'd retain the flexibility of choosing to play marquee matches there.

As beaussie says, throwing away a good chunk of Sydney if we play out of the SCG only. It's a @@@@house venue to get to if you live north of the bridge as opposed to Olympic Park which is heaps easier.

laughingnome
18th May 2010, 08:35 PM
As beaussie says, throwing away a good chunk of Sydney if we play out of the SCG only. It's a @@@@house venue to get to if you live north of the bridge as opposed to Olympic Park which is heaps easier.

???

I take the train from Hornsby to Central and walk 15 minutes to the SCG. If it's raining or you don't like walking there's a bus. If you drive the ED takes you from the Cahill/Tunnel to Moore Park, a bare 200 meters from the car park. Hard to get to? :confused:

top40
18th May 2010, 09:09 PM
The Australian bid for the World soccer Cups in 2018 and 2020 include the building of a brand new stadium at Blacktown to accommodate 40,000. In light of this news, I believe that such a notation, (despite being submitted to FIFA ) is unlikely.

For one, there is no need for such a stadium in long term, noting that the NRL(the Eels and the Panthers) and Soccer (the new West Sydney Rovers) have two great 20,000 plus all seater rectangle venues located at Parramatta and Penrith. With this redevelopment at the Showground at Homebush, GWS also has a perfect ground.

Second, FIFA will never permit one city to host three venues in a given World Cup. (Hence, the misleading assertion in Australia's submission that this new stadium is located at Blacktown, a separate city to Sydney).

I suspect that the Australian World Cup people still want Docklands in Melbourne as a venue, and hope that closer to 2022, the current AFL establishment will gone, with a new Commission willing to be more reasonable than Dementrio and Co.

Xie Shan
18th May 2010, 09:28 PM
I like the current 8/3 split of games between the SCG and Homebush (felt 4 at ANZ in 2008-09 was too many), so when GWS come in we'll play Collingwood and the derby games there along with one other team (usually against a top team like Geelong). True, the SCG is the perfect capacity/size for us now but it's good for us to play at grounds with different dimensions. Even the Cats don't get to play all their home games in Geelong.

Beaussie
18th May 2010, 09:33 PM
Lalor goes on to make this claim in his article :

"The Swans have played three games a year at ANZ as part of the deal, ... and the matches have struggled to attract fans".

Really? If he'd done his homework, he would have known that the biggest crowds we've ever played to in Sydney were at Homebush. In fact, the 10 biggest crowds there have averaged more than 61,000 per match, something the SCG can never equal.

Good point. Add to that the superior facilities and public transport options for ANZ Stadium when compared to the SCG. I also wonder what playing all games at the SCG would mean for our bottom line when it comes to the 3 games superpass memberships where alot of supporters appear to take up the ANZ Stadium option.

Bas
18th May 2010, 09:38 PM

It is a long way from the City. Must be a whole 20 minutes from Central by train.

Robbo
18th May 2010, 09:47 PM
Isn't Western Sydney a @@@@hole anyway?

Bas
18th May 2010, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know when the next development of the SCG takes place?

I remember that Cats game in 96, Gary Ablett's last game at the SCG. It was so packed, electric atmosphere. As was the Prelim in 96 against the Bombers. Sadly since that time it hasn't been close too being that full.

70,000 at ANZ wasn't bad atmosphere either but in the present fickle Sydney market, not likely to happen for a long time.

Problem with SCG is that if members don't turn up or re-sell their tickets, you will have a sell out crowd at 35K. You would either cap membership or leave large areas that don't have allocated seating. Probably make sense to have a cheaper membership without a seat. So if you turn up 10 minutes after game has started and the house full sign is up then bad luck.

ANZ has a grand feel to it but I hate public transport so I would rather drive to the SCG from the Central Coast than go in all the way by train or partial drive/bus.

I'm sure the Swans will play at ANZ in finals games if they choose to do so.

I imagine at the Showground they would extend the part of the field that does not have the present stands. I was sitting in the stand at the Easter Show and trying to mentally work out how it could be done. The present ground is not long enough so they would have to bull doze the northern ? hill area. Do wonders for the Grand Parade at the Easter Show.

It would be great to have Saturday afternoon "blockbuster" games at the SCG.

The BIG advantage that the SCG has over ANZ is the entertainment precinct. You have lots of places to go before and after the game. ANZ is limited and by 11pm, you have to dodge the tumbleweed.

Primmy, the Central Coast is NSW's Capital for Nursing Homes, I can score you a really good deal on a ZIMMER frame. :D

Bas
18th May 2010, 10:05 PM

I grew up in Western Sydney. Keep speaking like that and I will have to beat you with my desert boots.

Matt79
18th May 2010, 10:13 PM

Swap Sydney for Australia and you might be close!! :p

Damien
18th May 2010, 10:14 PM
I suspect that the Australian World Cup people still want Docklands in Melbourne as a venue, and hope that closer to 2022, the current AFL establishment will gone, with a new Commission willing to be more reasonable than Dementrio and Co.

Not sure any administration of the AFL will be willing to give up Etihad Stadium. It's very easy for the NRL to continue with ANZ and a few other stadiums gone as the majority of teams are at their local venues, but the AFL would need to stop for a min of 4-6 weeks if Etihad was handed over. Not going to happen.

Cheer Squad
18th May 2010, 11:22 PM
Good point. Add to that the superior facilities and public transport options for ANZ Stadium when compared to the SCG. I also wonder what playing all games at the SCG would mean for our bottom line when it comes to the 3 games superpass memberships where alot of supporters appear to take up the ANZ Stadium option.

It would be commercially senseless to abandon these people to Team GWS. I don't think the club would do it. In fact, I think the club sees the arrival of the Team GWS as an opportunity to grow our membership out west, riding off the back of the AFL's promotional dollars.

Having had such success with huge crowds at Homebush, it makes no sense to return to the pre-premiership era of the SCG.

JF_Bay22_SCG
19th May 2010, 12:17 AM
The article doesn't specifically say that the Swans won't play any more matches at ANZ, only that they are free from contractual obligations to do so. You would imagine that for blockbusters like the Collingwood game, they would still have to play at ANZ, because the crowds they draw for those matches are greater than the capacity of the SCG.

They would be silly to abandon what has been a sucessful marketing ploy. I think 3 blockbuster games at Homebush is enough. The Pies game alone draws up to 60000 at times.

If the SCG could be expanded to 50000, then we could talk about maybe on playing 1-2 games out there. But until then NOT playing games at Homebush would be ill-advised by the club.

JF

nicko18
19th May 2010, 01:29 AM
???

I take the train from Hornsby to Central and walk 15 minutes to the SCG. If it's raining or you don't like walking there's a bus. If you drive the ED takes you from the Cahill/Tunnel to Moore Park, a bare 200 meters from the car park. Hard to get to? :confused:

15 minutes if your powerwalking up those hills.

Whereas you have to catch 3 separate buses if you commute to the SCG on public transport (takes 90 minutes at least from the Northern Beaches) or pay $20 to park on the grass as well as the harbour tunnel/eastern distributor, there is a single special event bus service to ANZ stadium which is free to swans games which stops 100m from the gates. Also the shuttle bus from the Wharf to the stadium is free, unlike the $3.20 shuttle from Central to the SCG

laughingnome
19th May 2010, 01:40 AM
The public transport thing I do wonder about, granted. I don't know why it isn't free to the SCG. And I'll grant you that the Northern Beaches have never seen decent public transport and probably never will thanks to a combination of NIMBY'S, political give/take and a lack of funding. Guess I should put off those thoughts about buying in Dee Why, heh? Kudos for making the trek though, it sounds arduos :s

happy
19th May 2010, 02:41 AM
1. homebush sucks (whoever sponsors it)
2. good riddance
3. did I say homebush sucks?
4. that is all ...

Primmy
19th May 2010, 09:05 AM
BAS, don't you talk to me about zimmer frames!!!!! I don't think the SCG let you in with one, they nor the Swans wouldn't help me when I had a broken ankle and required a chair many years ago, but that may have changed, and how could I get it up the stairs to my bestest spot. I have been planning my future, and it is not looking good!!!

AnnieH
19th May 2010, 05:18 PM
Great. No games at ANZ ... and I probably live the closest to it out of all of you.
Less seats at the SCG means a whole lot less colliwobble supporters.
You've gotta be happy with that!!

sfan
19th May 2010, 06:03 PM
may hold 45000 but we rarely get 30k these days. Will come down to money.

nicko18
19th May 2010, 10:25 PM
The public transport thing I do wonder about, granted. I don't know why it isn't free to the SCG. And I'll grant you that the Northern Beaches have never seen decent public transport and probably never will thanks to a combination of NIMBY'S, political give/take and a lack of funding. Guess I should put off those thoughts about buying in Dee Why, heh? Kudos for making the trek though, it sounds arduos :s

:eek:

I didn't think I mentioned I lived in Dee Why!!!! (read it again and realised the co-incidence)

but yeah, I dont know why those shuttles in particular arent free. And your right we'll never get decent transport being in blue ribbon liberal territory. I wish on game days they'd just extend the bus journey from Wynyard to terminate at Driver Ave.

Bas
20th May 2010, 09:36 PM

I didn't think I mentioned I lived in Dee Why!!!! (read it again and realised the co-incidence)

but yeah, I dont know why those shuttles in particular arent free. And your right we'll never get decent transport being in blue ribbon liberal territory. I wish on game days they'd just extend the bus journey from Wynyard to terminate at Driver Ave.

Just move to Blacktown. Close to Rooty Hill as well for GWS matches. The Mayor of Blacktown throws in a free pair of desert boots as well.

BigD
20th May 2010, 09:53 PM
For me the only good thing about not playing at ANZ is that it is easier for me to get to the SCG if I have to go from work. Going to ANZ after finishing work at 6pm means I barely make it before the first bounce whereas I can get to the SCG to see the end of the reserves. (Yes, I work in the city).

nicko18
21st May 2010, 12:12 AM
For me the only good thing about not playing at ANZ is that it is easier for me to get to the SCG if I have to go from work. Going to ANZ after finishing work at 6pm means I barely make it before the first bounce whereas I can get to the SCG to see the end of the reserves. (Yes, I work in the city).

On weekends?

Bob Neil
21st May 2010, 12:40 AM
GWS and the AFL are reluctant to schedule anything but blockbuster matches at ANZ for fear the small crowds in an 81,000-seat venue will be bad publicity for the start-up club.

The new showground stadium will seat about 30,000 fans.

Ummm, so $45 M in taxes are going toward a new medium-sized stadium next to big one for fear of bad publicity if the big one is not well populated! White elephant(s) anyone?
How's about they just throw a few tarps over the empty seats at ANZ?

Damien
21st May 2010, 08:09 AM
Ummm, so $45 M in taxes are going toward a new medium-sized stadium next to big one for fear of bad publicity if the big one is not well populated! White elephant(s) anyone?
How's about they just throw a few tarps over the empty seats at ANZ?

Agree with your logic, but the more high standard AFL grounds we can get in this city, the better.

Yuri H
21st May 2010, 11:53 AM
As a lazy bastid I'm all for more/most/all games at the SCG, esp. if more seating will make it able to handle the usual crowds for Swans games, even blockbusters. Easier commute there for me, I don't like huge slick stadiums anyway, and after the game one can pubcrawl one's way to a bus or taxi stand of one's choice.

big bear
21st May 2010, 07:00 PM
I hate the place. All games at SCG please

Captain
21st May 2010, 11:33 PM

I live on the beaches, and whilst it involves catching 2 buses, I find it quicker to get to the SCG by a fair amount. In terms of driving, the SCG is a huge amount quicker for me.

Regardless, ANZ as a venue sucks. The seats are too far away, they face the wrong way and it has no soul.

erica
21st May 2010, 11:36 PM
Regardless, ANZ as a venue sucks. The seats are too far away, they face the wrong way and it has no soul.
My thoughts exactly.

Cheer Squad
22nd May 2010, 12:13 AM
I actually like Homebush as a venue, and look forward to when we play there.

Having Homebush as a second home ground adds another dimension to supporting the Swans in Sydney, and the current arrangements are definitely superior to the pre-premiership era of the SCG.

I think it's in the team's best interests that we play there several times a year. IMO, we have a better chance of developing a more fast-running style of play at Homebush, because it's a longer ground, and as we all know, moving the ball forward on the SCG more often than not involves running out wide, rather than straight down the centre corridor.

And in my experience, the atmosphere at any ground depends largely on what's happening on the field. The venue is irrelevant.

Jewels
22nd May 2010, 08:56 AM
And in my experience, the atmosphere at any ground depends largely on what's happening on the field. The venue is irrelevant.

Yep, very true.....

Beaussie
22nd May 2010, 12:13 PM

Having Homebush as a second home ground adds another dimension to supporting the Swans in Sydney, and the current arrangements are definitely superior to the pre-premiership era of the SCG.

I think it's in the team's best interests that we play there several times a year. IMO, we have a better chance of developing a more fast-running style of play at Homebush, because it's a longer ground, and as we all know, moving the ball forward on the SCG more often than not involves running out wide, rather than straight down the centre corridor.

All good points particularly your last point about atmosphere. The atmosphere was great with just 19k for the Sydney vs North final.

goswannie14
22nd May 2010, 12:28 PM

And in my experience, the atmosphere at any ground depends largely on what's happening on the field. The venue is irrelevant.We find ourselves agreeing again.

I much prefer Homebush to the SCG, although I have sat with AnnieH in the Brewongle and the view was great. However, getting to a from Homebush is much easier and quicker given the trains are right at the door and the facilities are far better than the SCG. As a melbourne based member, I have no emotional preference for either ground, I am just basing it on what I have experienced.

Doctor
29th June 2016, 11:51 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-sydney-swans-still-obliged-to-play-home-finals-at-anz-stadium-20160629-gpug3n.html

Levii3
30th June 2016, 12:08 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-sydney-swans-still-obliged-to-play-home-finals-at-anz-stadium-20160629-gpug3n.html

If we're lucky enough to get a home final playing at ANZ having not played or trained on the ground since last years finals its like playing at a neutral venue.. Afl is useless

Ludwig
30th June 2016, 12:56 AM
If we're lucky enough to get a home final playing at ANZ having not played or trained on the ground since last years finals its like playing at a neutral venue.. Afl is useless The only way to counter this move is to make it financially infeasible for the AFL to hold the game at ANZ, and that would happen if the Swans' fans stand up and protest by saying they will absolutely boycott the game if it's not at the SCG. There are many ways the fans can get their message across and make their feelings known. That's the only way the fans can beat the corporates. Just threaten to stay home and watch the game on the tube. The AFL prefer dealing with
http://www.raisingsheep.net/uploads/1/3/5/3/13538303/6594421.jpg?442
and herd them around as they like.

bloodsbigot
30th June 2016, 06:28 AM
The only way to counter this move is to make it financially infeasible for the AFL to hold the game at ANZ, and that would happen if the Swans' fans stand up and protest by saying they will absolutely boycott the game if it's not at the SCG. There are many ways the fans can get their message across and make their feelings known. That's the only way the fans can beat the corporates. Just threaten to stay home and watch the game on the tube. The AFL prefer dealing with

Yeah, pretty much this. Let's boycott an ANZ game. Start up a facebook campaign. Get the AFL's attention. Spread the word.

I recall Mike Fitzpatrick is a board member at ANZ Stadium, so anything to give that a-hole pain is worth it. He loves the Hawks and handed us our trade ban for following the rules.

kilroy
30th June 2016, 09:38 AM
No he doesnt love the hawks, he is an old VFL dinosaur that harbours resentment towards South Melbourne for perhaps an incident that happened in 1978 on the field and he hasnt forgot. Theres a few VFL types who still hold old grudges towards stupid incidents that happened when they played and these men sit on VFL boards or are vocie pieces in the media.

- - - Updated - - -

The only way to counter this move is to make it financially infeasible for the AFL to hold the game at ANZ, and that would happen if the Swans' fans stand up and protest by saying they will absolutely boycott the game if it's not at the SCG. There are many ways the fans can get their message across and make their feelings known. That's the only way the fans can beat the corporates. Just threaten to stay home and watch the game on the tube. The AFL prefer dealing with

But you know what will happen right? The VFL run media will then create a narrative around the fact that swans supporters are fickle/whingers or that they held the VFL to ransom and its just another reason to hate us and that we should just shut the hell up and accept where ever we are playing.

You cant win with the melb-centric VFL.

Primmy
30th June 2016, 10:57 AM
What we need is a Plebisite or a Brexit

barry
30th June 2016, 11:35 AM
This is great news. ANZ is Sydney's premier venue, and why not give it a big farewell with a big final. Its out most successful ground regarding win/loss ratio.

I believe fitzpatrick's company has sold ANZ to the NSW government recently as part of all this stadium redevelopment shenanigans.

bungwahl
30th June 2016, 11:42 AM
The timing of this article suggests it may have been prompted by the Swans to drum up some fan noise around moving the finals to the SCG. If so it's a great move! The article quotes a "six figure compensation" package would be required to axe ANZ, which is a pittance considering the excess gate takings for an SCG final.

ANZ is not suitable for AFL footy - dodgy surface, too small, poor fan experience.

Industrial Fan
30th June 2016, 11:44 AM
Not really any different from teams based at dock lands playing home finals at the mcg.

It's not great but also unlikely to spark a revolution.

kilroy
30th June 2016, 12:00 PM
Yeah sure but imagine another final in an 80k stadium and only 10k fans show up with half of them being from the opposition. The AFL wears its attendances like a badge of honour, it will be a massive embarrassment if hardly anyone shows up.

I mean we still get crap from melbourne vfl fans for that 19k turn out for a final last decade.

Untamed Snark
30th June 2016, 12:44 PM
What we need is a Plebisite or a Brexit

ANZit?

56-14
30th June 2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah sure but imagine another final in an 80k stadium and only 10k fans show up with half of them being from the opposition. The AFL wears its attendances like a badge of honour, it will be a massive embarrassment if hardly anyone shows up.

I mean we still get crap from melbourne vfl fans for that 19k turn out for a final last decade.

I was raised into the VFL/Aussie Rules culture 65 years ago.
I therefore was a VFL fan & selected South Melb as my team, & have supported the Swans ever since.
Don't understand your crap about "melbourne vfl fans".
(Never lived in Melb. Also, today the VFL is the Vic Reserves Comp - & in my opinion it is superior to the NEAFL - wish our reserves played in that comp!)

kilroy
30th June 2016, 01:09 PM
VFL is now used by non vic fans to demonstrate how vic-centric the whole league still is and how vic based teams always get preferred treatment in what is suppose to be a national comp.

Gil hosted a dinner for AFL coaches the other night and only invited Vic based coaches.

56-14
30th June 2016, 01:40 PM
VFL is now used by non vic fans to demonstrate how vic-centric the whole league still is and how vic based teams always get preferred treatment in what is suppose to be a national comp.

Gil hosted a dinner for AFL coaches the other night and only invited Vic based coaches.

"vic based teams always get preferred treatment".
- Brisbane - early 2000's ???
- Giants - past few years ???

barry
30th June 2016, 03:19 PM

If the swans only have 10,000 hard core fans, then it says a lot more about the swans than the AFL's. if after 30 years in Sydney, the swans can only get 10,000 to a home final, then the AFL might think its far more important to invest in the Giants.

There is no need for swans "fans" to protest vote against ANZ. The swans are leaving, its signed in blood.

Like the much despised Waverly, we should give a good send off.

kilroy
30th June 2016, 05:55 PM
Like the much despised Waverly, we should give a good send off.

Like being flogged by 70+ by the hawks?

Nico
30th June 2016, 08:15 PM
Yeah, pretty much this. Let's boycott an ANZ game. Start up a facebook campaign. Get the AFL's attention. Spread the word.

I recall Mike Fitzpatrick is a board member at ANZ Stadium, so anything to give that a-hole pain is worth it. He loves the Hawks and handed us our trade ban for following the rules.

I believe he has a share in the business. Unbelievable conflict of interest.

barry
30th June 2016, 09:42 PM
Like being flogged by 70+ by the hawks?
Thats a bit glass half full kilroy.

The home team won by 70+

kilroy
1st July 2016, 12:02 PM
I believe he has a share in the business. Unbelievable conflict of interest.

He has a nice share of ANZ and believe it or not, GWS.

They really set themselves up the old boys, havent they. All multi millionares from using the AFL as their cash cow.

Mug Punter
2nd July 2016, 12:20 AM
I'd cop a home Sydney Final being played against GWS being at ANZ. I know it would hurt us but I'd accept it as being in the interests of the game.

If we are playing an interstate team then there is no excuse for ANZ and the SCG it should be

Have said that, with a man as conflicted as Mike Fitz being in charge who knows....

kilroy
2nd July 2016, 11:53 AM
Its in the interest of Mike Fitzpatrick that we play at ANZ.

56-14
2nd July 2016, 12:34 PM
I'd cop a home Sydney Final being played against GWS being at ANZ. I know it would hurt us but I'd accept it as being in the interests of the game.

If we are playing an interstate team then there is no excuse for ANZ and the SCG it should be

Have said that, with a man as conflicted as Mike Fitz being in charge who knows....

I wouldn't cop our "home final" being played anywhere other than the SCG.
If we have to play GWS when it's their home-final - would unreservedly accept ANZ.