PDA

View Full Version : Playfair????

Albert Park
20th May 2010, 07:32 PM
If Mr Roos really does know what hes doing, why is he forcing us to go another week with Payfair instead of Jesse White? White can Ruck and kick goals. What has Playfair ever done since we got him.
Did I see a different game last week? I saw him at Manuaka and on the replay and he looked as disintertested as he did two years ago .
I'm serious , if someone knows why Playfair over White (or any one , for that matter ) please tell me.

Rabid Mongrel
20th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Playfair looks to be a spud. Like you, I don't get his selection. Having said that Roos is usually loyal to his players and gives plenty of chances. Perhaps what we lose in skill we pick up in spirit. On paper I don't think we have had a top 5 side during Roos entire reign, so whatever they have been doing at Moore Park seems to be working.

Peace
20th May 2010, 07:45 PM
its been almost 2years since playfair played in the AFL, last week our midfield was appalling and couldn't get the ball inside 50 very effectively so playfair played up field a bit more, i thought he did ok.

sure as hell didn't have a great game but neither did ANYONE apart from Goodes.

White can ruck and kick goals? how many goals has he kicked this year? Pyke did a better job in the ruck i reckon. White needs to develop, and maybe Roos doesn't want him getting injured in the ruck, that would really hurt us!

Playfair is 27, 97kg and 198cm, i think he will do better than white when our midfield is back to the form it was in the first 4 or 5 games. Keep in mind he has only played 12 games for us, give him a break.

I have 100% faith that Roosy knows what he is doing, if playfair sucks when the midfield is going off then definitely drop the bastard.

Matty10
20th May 2010, 07:51 PM
I didn't see the game at the ground last week, but from what I saw of Playfair on the TV I thought that he was ok. Nothing super special, but certainly nothing super bad either. Ten possessions and six marks does not set the world on fire (although it was more than White), but it was not too bad for a player that has not had a run in the seniors for a couple of years due to injury.

If you were to graph the performance / improvement of White over the last year and this, would you say that the graph is still going up, going steady, or dropping down? I would say that he has had a fair season so far this year, but I was expecting a bit more from someone who looked like they were going to establlish themselves as the go-to man for the Swans.

Perhaps Roos thinks that he needs a week or two in the reserves to recapture the enthusiasm / form that made him one of the men most likely to fill the forward-line void following the departure of Micky and BBB.

Plugger46
20th May 2010, 07:53 PM
sure as hell didn't have a great game but neither did ANYONE apart from Goodes.

Reckon McVeigh was our best. Goodes, Shaw and Kennelly probably next.

Peace
20th May 2010, 07:57 PM
Reckon McVeigh was our best. Goodes, Shaw and Kennelly probably next.

yeah sorry i more so meant anyone in the forward 50...

Plugger46
20th May 2010, 08:01 PM
yeah sorry i more so meant anyone in the forward 50...

Ah ok fair enough, point taken.

As for Playfair, well i don't agree with it at all but I think I've voiced my opinion enough there.

Dogzbody
20th May 2010, 08:10 PM
Obviously Roosy has gone the concession route on the Ruck contest.... The acid is on the midfield to win possessions and clearances off the Sandilands mountain, I still question the Playfair selection but the club needs to know whether (as has been previously posted) he fires when the midfield is cranking. It's going to be a long hard afternoon for the Canuck!!!!!!!!

Nico
20th May 2010, 08:34 PM
Obviously Roosy has gone the concession route on the Ruck contest.... The acid is on the midfield to win possessions and clearances off the Sandilands mountain, I still question the Playfair selection but the club needs to know whether (as has been previously posted) he fires when the midfield is cranking. It's going to be a long hard afternoon for the Canuck!!!!!!!!

With Kirk retiring we have to start reshaping the midfield. It is as a slow as treacle and unless ROK is on his game we get bugger all service to our forwards, and we have fallen into the old habit of the mids not wanting to step over the 50 metre line. What about; Smith, McVeigh, Hanners and MOD for starters. These 4 know how to find the footy and lets get away from the negative centre bounce blocking and holding setup.

lwjoyner
20th May 2010, 09:21 PM
Playfair should be given the job that roosey wanted to give Ablett permanant Reserves to lead the kids not up and nver was since he came up to AFL footy.

Donners
20th May 2010, 10:46 PM
I thought Playfair was okay. Took a couple of contested marks, which are pretty uncommon these days, and did okay with his disposal.

White is getting, what, about seven or eight possessions a game? Five goals for the year? Hitouts in only two games, and barely into double figures for each? He can use a few games dominating in the twos.

sharp9
20th May 2010, 10:52 PM
The thing that was shocking about his game last week was how slow he was between the ears....didn't move it quickly once. Worse than Ted and that's saying something.

hammo
20th May 2010, 11:19 PM
The thing that was shocking about his game last week was how slow he was between the ears....didn't move it quickly once. Worse than Ted and that's saying something.

Exactly. He came back playing the same style as his last game 2 years ago.

ernie koala
20th May 2010, 11:33 PM
He was indecisive, slow and as weak at the contest as I've ever seen (particually considering his size), he was continually knocked off the ball. Just a complete waste of a spot in the 22.

Far Reach
20th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Before the leg injury he looked a powerhouse forward - but still very suspect kick for goal. I was hoping he'd be our full back solution after Leo following a good run in VFL. But he seems too slow now based on the one game. Will fill in for a while but now's time to look for full time media roles.

Quiet_Observer
20th May 2010, 11:50 PM
He barlow, I mean, barely just played fair last week (and I don't mean the goodsport type fair). I think the selection committee live in the Bizzaro world from Superman comics where everything is opposite (cry when your happy etc..). I'm glad there isn't player called Badkick on the list, he'd get a gurnsey every week in Bizzaro world.

Hartijon
21st May 2010, 08:20 AM
Playfair's inclusion is nonetheless baffling particularly if we are putting up the white flag to Sandilands. If they throw him in ruck against him it is going to be very ugly for us. Likewise if he goes onto him when he moves forward. Uglier than Barlow! We have Bradshaw back,is Playfair to play White's role? I think so! If this is the case then we have better players ,in better form with Vez and MOD.If he is used as height in defence,Richards would have been better but he also probably has a niggle.I see the decision to play Playfair as one that might cost us dearly in a closely fought contest.

mcs
21st May 2010, 09:51 AM
Baffling is not the word- dreadful is the word for Playfair still being in the team. I thought last week he looked slow between the ears and on his legs, and he offered very little imo. Would have kept White in the team instead, and I am very worried about our tactic of just conceding the ruck for the sake of it.

undy
21st May 2010, 11:17 AM
Considering how long it is since he played, I thought he was fair. Given he was pretty effective with his disposals (80%), maybe taking his time to move the pill on was a sensible tactic last week. He's never going to rip the football world apart, but I think giving him another week to build some confidence is reasonable.

CJK
21st May 2010, 12:48 PM
Playfair; Worse than Hitler

Jewels
21st May 2010, 01:31 PM

while we're on selections and Barlow was mentioned...I finally manged to get through the whole Geelong game (took over a week!) and the Barlow bashing is just over the top, unfair and frankly, inaccurate. He wasn't shizenausen actually....he wasn't very good, either....but he did do several good things (2 more contested markes than 16 other team mates put together, plus a nice goal). Completely underserving of the vitriol.

Look, he was in as the 22nd best player in the team...if 18 of the other 21 - from Superstars down - are dreadful then it's a bit bloody rich to pick on the 22nd guy and his 3 or 4 clangers. If someone was rating the players who had never seen a single Swan before, I am pretty sure that Barlow would not have rated bottom for the Swans on the day. Goodes and Smith were the only players in Red and White who broke even with their opponents. Barlow is probably done, but I, for one, am a bit sad about the circumstances....thrown in against Geelong with SEVEN first choice players out and the ones who are left playing like pathetic, scared butter fingered, headless chooks....and who gets to where the blame....Ed Barlow....not fair, not appropriate and very dissappointing from supporters of the "Bloods" culture. Vitriol sent at your players should be for Richmond fans and the like.

Remember when Barlow was the "Fridge"....'cos he was gonna be the White Goodes....wipes tear.

I think your bias is showing just a bit. You've banged on and on about how bad Playfair was, yet say Barlow wasn't to bad. Statistically, Playfair played fairer then Barlow did.
Fact is, neither were very good or added much to the team.

swansrule100
21st May 2010, 02:25 PM
I think your bias is showing just a bit. You've banged on and on about how bad Playfair was, yet say Barlow wasn't to bad. Statistically, Playfair played fairer then Barlow did.
Fact is, neither were very good or added much to the team.

barlow showed more once upon a time and is younger and would appear that he could develop into a player perhaps. Playfair is what he is, a hack who wouldnt get a game at richmond

stellation
21st May 2010, 02:30 PM

You never saw a nazi goose step? With a follow through like that I better Hitler would be a better kick!

sprite
21st May 2010, 02:32 PM

I can't remember which team Hitler played for, nor do I recall Playfair being at at the Nuremberg trials.

A basically offensive post and should have been moderated

Peace
21st May 2010, 02:32 PM
the completely unforgiving hatred towards playfair on here is really sad.

he comes back after 2 years and plays one game in an underperforming team, against one of the top 4 sides who have a very strong couple of defenders who didnt have bradshaw to man up on.... and you all think he should dropped for someone who is currently playing even worse? purely because you dislike the guy from 2 years ago.

sure if he plays rubbish in the next few games then i'll join your angry mob, but give the guy a break, he has put in a lot of effort behind the scenes with the younger swans and deserves a run, you know all the boys would be really happy that playfair is out on the field with them.

swansrule100
21st May 2010, 02:34 PM

he comes back after 2 years and plays one game in an underperforming team, against one of the top 4 sides who have a very strong couple of defenders who didnt have bradshaw to man up on.... and you all think he should dropped for someone who is currently playing even worse? purely because you dislike the guy from 2 years ago.

sure if he plays rubbish in the next few games then i'll join your angry mob, but give the guy a break, he has put in a lot of effort behind the scenes with the younger swans and deserves a run, you know all the boys would be really happy that playfair is out on the field with them.

your right he shouldne be personally attacked and hated. Just seems stupid he ever came on the list, then was allowed to stay showing nothing at all, but more talented people get the chop or miss selection

JudesaGun
21st May 2010, 02:37 PM
Last week he always went to ground, made no second efforts and was routinely out-musled... what more is there to say??!!

CJK
21st May 2010, 03:03 PM
A basically offensive post and should have been moderated

If you are going to use the internet better make yourself familar with this; Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)

hammo
21st May 2010, 03:30 PM
Last week he always went to ground, made no second efforts and was routinely out-musled... what more is there to say??!!

Couldn't agree more. There was some really soft efforts. Not exactly 'Bloods' footy...

Yuri H
21st May 2010, 03:58 PM
I can't remember which team Hitler played for,

The Eagles.

Trust me on this one.

TheHood
21st May 2010, 04:32 PM
What was his nickname? I think that post could really morph nicely into the Berlin League fantasy team. So nicks for Adolf:

Moe
Hitman
Rowdy
The Dolfin
The German Shepherd

I think he'd be an in and under centreman. Tony Shaw style, not great skills but dogged (Germ Shep) determination.

Trickster
21st May 2010, 04:42 PM
What was his nickname? I think that post could really morph nicely into the Berlin League fantasy team. So nicks for Adolf:

Moe
Hitman
Rowdy
The Dolfin
The German Shepherd

I think he'd be an in and under centreman. Tony Shaw style, not great skills but dogged (Germ Shep) determination.

Old one ball

stellation
21st May 2010, 04:50 PM
Old one ball

Filandia's Victim?

Matty10
21st May 2010, 05:02 PM
:) This has turned funny - who would have thought?

Big Al
21st May 2010, 05:11 PM

Moe
Hitman
Rowdy
The Dolfin
The German Shepherd

Kicked a couple of goals and had 30 possessions in his first game against Poland. Unfortunately in the Grand Final a couple of long bombs from the Allies defeated his team. As a result he was fired from the team as they bunkered down after the loss.

Big Al
21st May 2010, 05:12 PM
Filandia's Victim?

(clap)

magic.merkin
21st May 2010, 06:08 PM

I agree 100%

I assume (all any of us can do), he was retained on the list due to the board showing a bit of faith, not discarding a 2m mature forward, and we had a rookie spot available. cost us bugger all.

Number 43
21st May 2010, 06:21 PM
Playfair will prove you all wrong tomorrow. I can't wait.

ernie koala
21st May 2010, 06:27 PM
Filandia's Victim?

Nice work. Both yours and Peters... ahhh the memories

stellation
21st May 2010, 06:30 PM
(clap)

Or, perhaps to tie it all together, Filandia's European Victim? hmmmm, if only there was a way to shorten that to find out Hitler's true footballing identity...

Bas
21st May 2010, 07:53 PM
The coaches are in control. They know best.

Peace
22nd May 2010, 12:03 AM
i really enjoy the fact that bradshaw is back in the side but no one gives a damn.

has anyone heard of optimism? Optimism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism)

Matty10
22nd May 2010, 12:21 AM
i really enjoy the fact that bradshaw is back in the side but no one gives a damn.

Steady on, I don't think it is as bad as all that on here. Keep the faith - others do as well. :)

Trickster
22nd May 2010, 10:26 AM
Or, perhaps to tie it all together, Filandia's European Victim? hmmmm, if only there was a way to shorten that to find out Hitler's true footballing identity...

Pretty sure he's a big man at collingwood...

cheersquadsteve
22nd May 2010, 11:12 AM
Playfair offers the team absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
Dropping White to keep him in the team is madness

Industrial Fan
22nd May 2010, 11:41 AM
He barlow, I mean, barely just played fair last week (and I don't mean the goodsport type fair). I think the selection committee live in the Bizzaro world from Superman comics where everything is opposite (cry when your happy etc..). I'm glad there isn't player called Badkick on the list, he'd get a gurnsey every week in Bizzaro world.

In your example Badkick would in fact be a great kick, but would sadly never get called up to play.

Primmy
22nd May 2010, 11:53 AM
or, perhaps to tie it all together, filandia's european victim? Hmmmm, if only there was a way to shorten that to find out hitler's true footballing identity...

fev?

Melbourne_Blood
22nd May 2010, 05:56 PM
Well Henry proved a few of us wrong today. And it looks like we're going to need him with Braddy injured. Pykey and Rohan were the other positives i feel. Not too much else though.

Robbo
22nd May 2010, 06:13 PM
He did do OK today. I like his ruckwork aswell.

aardvark
22nd May 2010, 06:15 PM
Bit scary when henry is your best forward

swansrule100
22nd May 2010, 06:17 PM
he was handy, but still have little confidence in him. But you couldnt fault his attitude to todays game.

lwjoyner
22nd May 2010, 06:18 PM
You have to be joking, what about looking to the future Currie White etc Playfair is a hack I dont know how you people can say we should play him let the youngsters have a go.

Hartijon
22nd May 2010, 06:19 PM
37points loss.I predicted 39 if a couple of policies remain in place with selections.

liz
22nd May 2010, 06:33 PM
He was far more effective in the ruck today than White has been. I'd like White back in the side, but strictly as a forward. Henry has his limitations but competed well out there today, all around the ground. Definitely in the running for TLM votes this week.

stellation
22nd May 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure that his ruckwork was far more effective than White's has been, but he did offer a bit more when the ball hit the ground. That said I like Henry quite a lot, and he's always been a pretty handy ruckman- I was expecting him to be rucking with Jesse back to the forward line last week when he was brought in. I thought he was pretty good today.

Primmy
22nd May 2010, 08:59 PM
I don't think Hank is going anywhere soon what with Braddles probably out, etc. White back in (assuming he behaved himself in the 2s) and maybe (oh lord forgive me), Cheese in for Kenelly.....

eggbeater
22nd May 2010, 09:01 PM
Apparently White injured himself in the ressies :( and MOD had 54 possies

Big Al
22nd May 2010, 09:02 PM
Playfair offers the team absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
Dropping White to keep him in the team is madness

Did you actually watch the game today??? Also White needed time in the Reserves to get some confidence and touch back. Remember the coaching staff know how White operates and will do whatever is right for him and the team. He'll come back into the team and offer us more that what he has done so far this year.

goswannie14
22nd May 2010, 09:44 PM
He was far more effective in the ruck today than White has been. I'd like White back in the side, but strictly as a forward. Henry has his limitations but competed well out there today, all around the ground. Definitely in the running for TLM votes this week.I agree wholeheartedly Liz. Henry was okay in the ruck and White should have been in the team today in the forward line.

Primmy
23rd May 2010, 10:44 AM
Does anyone else have that sneaking suspicion that the coaches are actualy using this year is a "rebuilding phase" and are blooding heaps of possibilities and combinations, contrary to statements made in the past, and are not exactly expecting to make the top 8?

cruiser
23rd May 2010, 11:07 AM
I thought Playfair had a reasonable game and certainly deserves to retain his spot next week. There were far worse out there (fracking Bevan!).

Albert Park
24th May 2010, 01:08 AM

Pyke played well.Our problem wasnt thre ruck!!!!

Hartijon
24th May 2010, 01:19 AM
Playfair played well because the rain slowed the game right down. He is a very good player at a slower pace.Old guys always loved rainy days if you have ever played you'd know this.

Albert Park
24th May 2010, 01:46 AM
He did do OK today. I like his ruckwork aswell.

OK, He didnt fall over and he kicked 2 goals highest Swans goal scorer with 2 !!!
He 'll be handy as long as the Swans want to keep playing like they did against the Dockers ( That's depressing)
And Hawthorn got their Mojo back today against the Blues. The Swans could be in for a flogging next Saturday at the MCG so they may as well let old Henry take the lash. How does every one feel about this team going against Collingwood in five weeks time???

i seem to remember Hitler's nickname was Der Furher (he wouldnt play unless he was captain) He couldnt get a game at Collingwood : Buckley wouldnt tolerate the challenge

Bloody Hell
24th May 2010, 02:17 AM
Hope you enjoy waiting...it'll be a while.

As displayed in his last performance, Playfair at his best is mediocre. Unsuprisingly many RWOers have chosen to celebrate this mediocrity.
Playfair will prove you all wrong tomorrow. I can't wait.

Hartijon
24th May 2010, 08:46 AM
Is there any way we could swap Playfair for Podswhatever his name is? Give him back ,thanks for the pain,lovely guy but you owe us a good player now.Do you think Geelong will come at it?

goswannie14
24th May 2010, 08:54 AM
Is there any way we could swap Playfair for Podswhatever his name is? Give him back ,thanks for the pain,lovely guy but you owe us a good player now.Do you think Geelong will come at it?Have you forgotten about Mumford already?

ernie koala
24th May 2010, 10:29 AM
Does anyone else have that sneaking suspicion that the coaches are actualy using this year is a "rebuilding phase" and are blooding heaps of possibilities and combinations, contrary to statements made in the past, and are not exactly expecting to make the top 8?

I would say NO...Roos wants to go out with a finals appearance. And playing the likes of Playfair and Bevo ahead of younger, relatively new players, like MOD, White, Vespa, shows that rebuilding is not in their plan.

Matty10
24th May 2010, 06:48 PM
Playfair played well because the rain slowed the game right down. He is a very good player at a slower pace.Old guys always loved rainy days if you have ever played you'd know this.

I don't agree with your assessment here. The ground was not so soft that it brought everyone down to the same speed on the weekend - it was hardly mush out there - and the rain itself was not really a factor until the last quarter.

Playfair did ok again on the weekend and improved from the previous game against the Dogs. It was not a knock-out performance by any stretch, but it was solid. I also hope he keeps improving as we need options.

Donners
24th May 2010, 06:58 PM
Hope you enjoy waiting...it'll be a while.

As displayed in his last performance, Playfair at his best is mediocre. Unsuprisingly many RWOers have chosen to celebrate this mediocrity.

Or they recognise that he can play a role which needs to be filled at the moment, and that there aren't any other outstanding options for it.

Jewels
25th May 2010, 12:07 PM
Or they recognise that he can play a role which needs to be filled at the moment, and that there aren't any other outstanding options for it.

There's that logic again!
How many times do I have to tell you people, RWO is just not the place!

Hartijon
25th May 2010, 01:40 PM
I don't have any trouble understanding the logic for picking Playfair . He fills a spot, big body, needed at the moment etc .I just Don't AGREE with it. I think our selection policy lacks logical integrity. How does the conservative logic of picking Playfair mix with the radical logic of picking Heath? It's like you got Reds and Yellows on the same selection panel! (sorry Thai analogy...make that Liberal and Labour).

I think that form and match ups are the only two criteria with any integrity that prevent a dip in player morale (which I fear has already occurred.) So Playfair is picked up as a match up? With who? Ok so he is picked on form? I doubt it! Why was Heath picked when MOD racks up 40+ possesions a game?
Form? Match up? Wierd selection and we get flogged by 37 points. We can't know if a different selection would have made a difference but my opinion is that it would have and I am entitled to my opinion. I also think the overall team would have been shaken up by the freshness of new blood that deserves to be there.similar to the way Rohan lifts it all a notch!

So I don't agree with the selection of Playfair or Heath even though I can understand the logic used.

I would have gone for VEZ and MOD 3 weeks ago and readjusted the team for any match ups needed.
Both would have had 3 games under their belts now and hopefully done well and be a part of the Swans successful future.