PDA

View Full Version : Changes V Hawthorn

Robbo
22nd May 2010, 06:24 PM
Assuming Kennelly and Bradshaw miss with injury......

Outs: Pyke, Bradshaw, Kennelly, Bevan
Ins: Mumford, White, McGlynn, Veszpremi

Melbourne_Blood
22nd May 2010, 06:32 PM
I dont agree on dropping Pykey. He was good today . It would be good to see him rucking in tandem with Mummy.

Margie
22nd May 2010, 06:33 PM
Don't think Pyke will be dropped.

aardvark
22nd May 2010, 06:37 PM
Pyke was one of the few who did better than expected

swansrule100
22nd May 2010, 06:47 PM
i heard white rolled his ankle today? and he was sent to get confidence, so unless he kicked a bag i havent heard about then he needs to stay put. Pyke did a good job today and deserves a go as 2nd ruck

Presuming bradshaw and kennelly are out id bring in mumford and mcglynn for those two.

I would also bring owdyer who i heard dominated in for bevan

Robbo
22nd May 2010, 06:48 PM
Do we need 2 ruckmen against Hawthorn?

swansrule100
22nd May 2010, 06:53 PM
Do we need 2 ruckmen against Hawthorn?

true didnt think of that, or do we try to exploit the weakness?? I cant imagine roosy dropping pyke after todays effort, nor can i imagine mumford will play in canberra

stellation
22nd May 2010, 06:55 PM
Definitely agree with Patty in for Pauly. I think McGlynn should have a run in the magoos before coming straight back into the seniors, I don't know how much fitness work he will have been able to do with a quad injury and his hustle is one of his biggest assets.

Agreed that it would be pretty tough to drop Pyke after the job he did today, if Seaby was the one coming back I'd have no issue as I think he's a pretty handy tall forward option but Mummy doesn't quite seem to have that in his arsenal to the same extent.

liz
22nd May 2010, 07:03 PM
Pyke certainly deserves plaudits for the way he stood up to Sandilands but he doesn't offer much around the ground. Against Hawthorn, I'd be inclined to use Playfair as the pinch ruckman, though with Bradshaw and now White injured today, maybe we can't afford not to have him in the forward line. TDL's bag against Belconnen might bring him into the reckoning to be our 4th debutant for the season next week.

Assuming Kennelly doesn't come up for next week, I'd love to see MOD get a chance. He has been consistently good - sometimes brilliant - for the reserves this year and I reckon he deserves a go.

swansrule100
22nd May 2010, 07:07 PM
are kennelly and bradshaw a chance to come up at all? or are these season ending injuries?

KirkysSocks
22nd May 2010, 07:53 PM
If there was such a thing as a pinchhit tap ruckman pyke would be a superstar. he is really good at tap work, really good but doesn't know what to do afterwards. It would be good if we could get him to contest the general ruck duties and then sprint off as soon as he wins the clearance..kinda like the punter in NFL.

And mumford can do the stoppage work and the rest of the ruck work!!

BSA5
22nd May 2010, 08:12 PM
Pyke to stay, but only play 40 or so minutes overall. 10 minutes a quarter. Mumford to ruck the rest of the time.

I'd love to see O'Dwyer in after dominating in the ressies. He just seems like a natural footballer, and the kind of player that can win a match for you. Also, TDL booted 7 goals today apparently. Could be an inclusion. It would be nice to see how he goes, especially if McGlynn doesn't come up again...

Donners
22nd May 2010, 08:12 PM
Agree with the OP, except for White/Pyke.

Then again, I note that McGlynn did not appear in the goal kickers or best for the reserves, and Vesz did not do a lot, so they are far from walk-up starts.

I worry that Goodes needs a week or two off. He is kicking like somebody carrying an injury.

ugg
22nd May 2010, 08:16 PM
McGlynn didn't play reserves, he was at the SCG today.

Will wait until the injury diagnosis before considering who to bring in/out.

redhugh2525
22nd May 2010, 08:32 PM
veszpremi is the answer to take the opposition on and Jetta should look and learn!

sWAns63
22nd May 2010, 09:27 PM
IN: TDL, VES OR McGLYNN, MUM & MOD
OUT: Kennedy, Bevan, Bradshaw (INJ), Kennelly (INJ)
Gives us some goal scoring ability & speedy CHASERS which we really need the most.
IF WE ARE GOING TO HAVE ALL THOSE OLD LEGS IN THE TEAM WE NEED MORE YOUNGSTERS TO DO THE CHASING.

Bas
22nd May 2010, 09:39 PM
are kennelly and bradshaw a chance to come up at all? or are these season ending injuries?

I wrote about what I saw on the game day thread towards the end of the thread. Briefly, Bradshaw aggrevated what he had last week and would probably miss a few. Tadgh was running the boundary but it must not have felt right.

I hope TDL gets his chance to debut. Great place to kick your first goal in the AFL. Roos might be waiting for him to get to Podsiadly's age first though.

sWAns63
22nd May 2010, 09:45 PM
I know they have improved though we just got pumped by the Dockers at home..........the shame!
Need lots of changes!

Bas
22nd May 2010, 09:49 PM
McGlynn didn't play reserves, he was at the SCG today.

MMM team said he was playing in Canberra today.

ugg
22nd May 2010, 10:01 PM
MMM team said he was playing in Canberra today.
MMM are wrong, I saw McGlynn with my own eyes.

ernie koala
22nd May 2010, 10:02 PM
Out : Bevan, Bradshaw, Kennelly,
In : TDL , Mumford, MOD

Cheer Squad
22nd May 2010, 10:04 PM
Changes for Hawthorn? That's the problem...there are too many changes. We're starting to flounder a bit with all the changes and uncertainty. We need to settle down for a while. Just don't bring Richards back into the team.

KirkysSocks
22nd May 2010, 10:08 PM
We need to see what TDL can do in a big game. We recruited him to kick goals and be a power forward and now is the time to throw him in the deep end. He should be selected this week IMHO.

sWAns63
22nd May 2010, 10:14 PM
Changes for Hawthorn? That's the problem...there are too many changes. We're starting to flounder a bit with all the changes and uncertainty. We need to settle down for a while. Just don't bring Richards back into the team.

There have to be changes we can't take injured players into next week.

Bexl
22nd May 2010, 10:15 PM

Thats what I would do.

undy
22nd May 2010, 10:18 PM
We need to see what TDL can do in a big game. We recruited him to kick goals and be a power forward and now is the time to throw him in the deep end. He should be selected this week IMHO.

He may have the wrong genes to be a power forward - 74kg & 182cm doesn't make a Jonathan Brown physique.
Apart from that, it will be interesting to see how he goes, he's kicked a lot of goals in the WAFL. With Mummy back, Playfair can spend more time in the forward lines, so TDL for Bradshaw isn't such a height loss.

Old Royboy
22nd May 2010, 10:32 PM
Dicky Bird and the Gopher were at the MA Noble aftermatch tonight. They both said they are ready to play. I didn't hear it in the press but McGlynn said that he had a "setback" two weeks ago. I inferred that he pushed too hard trying to get back and aggrievated the injury. Race is on for these two, as I suspect they are fighting for the same job.

sWAns63
22nd May 2010, 10:34 PM
He may have the wrong genes to be a power forward - 74kg & 182cm doesn't make a Jonathan Brown physique.
Apart from that, it will be interesting to see how he goes, he's kicked a lot of goals in the WAFL. With Mummy back, Playfair can spend more time in the forward lines, so TDL for Bradshaw isn't such a height loss.

Being a Subiaco supportor I've seen alot of him TDL is very quick on the lead with good delivery, great offensive pressure does kick multiple goals just what we need at the moment much better option than Bolton or Bevan up forward.

Peace
23rd May 2010, 12:40 AM
but Malceski.

KirkysSocks
23rd May 2010, 12:40 AM
Keep the canadian.

ScottH
23rd May 2010, 12:32 PM
Drop Kennedy?
Are you ppl serious?

He's been fantastic the last few weeks. Had a few dodgy HTB decision go against him, but he's been one of our better players, and is improving.

Peace
23rd May 2010, 12:59 PM

on a more serious note, this is an excellent selection.

swansrule100
23rd May 2010, 01:23 PM
Drop Kennedy?
Are you ppl serious?

He's been fantastic the last few weeks. Had a few dodgy HTB decision go against him, but he's been one of our better players, and is improving.

agree 100% he does so much grunt work. If anything id be putting him on the ground and in the thick of it a hell of a lot more

aardvark
23rd May 2010, 02:22 PM
agree 100% he does so much grunt work. If anything id be putting him on the ground and in the thick of it a hell of a lot more

I agree totally. Our best inside midfielder at the moment by a fair margin.

chalbilto
23rd May 2010, 04:58 PM

Agree except McGlynn (if fit) for TDL. Even though I admire his courage and endevour I don't think Bevan deserves to be in the 22.

Lucky Knickers
23rd May 2010, 06:04 PM
Hawks were great today against the Blues. Going to be a tough contest for us on Sunday.

liz
23rd May 2010, 06:18 PM
Hawks were great today against the Blues. Going to be a tough contest for us on Sunday.

I'm a little concerned about who we have to play on Buddy. Bolton hasn't done too badly in recent years, and while LRT and Grundy have both stepped up this year, I don't think either has the agility or pace to keep with Franklin if he gets decent supply.

chalbilto
23rd May 2010, 06:23 PM
Too right. I think Grundy will get first crack at Buddy and LRT to Roughhead. Lets hope the midfield can get on top and stop the supply to the Hawks forwards.

wearebloods
23rd May 2010, 06:37 PM
He may have the wrong genes to be a power forward - 74kg & 182cm doesn't make a Jonathan Brown physiqueHe's not a KPF, but as a more disciplined/consistent version of Jeff Farmer, he could be an ideal inclusion to a side that is currently lacking sufficient avenues to goal.

BSA5
23rd May 2010, 06:39 PM
Too right. I think Grundy will get first crack at Buddy and LRT to Roughhead. Lets hope the midfield can get on top and stop the supply to the Hawks forwards.

Nah, I reckon LRT will go to Buddy first. He has the better reach of the two, which is Buddy's main weapon in marking contests, and Buddy tends to play a bit further up the ground, which tends to suit LRT. Grundy is pound for pound a bit stronger, and I can see him working off Roughead more than Franklin.

Peace
23rd May 2010, 06:44 PM
they played hard and well today against the blues, whoever comes in needs to be ready for relentless tackling and pressure.

cruiser
23rd May 2010, 07:29 PM
Great. We play Hawthorn just when they find form and confidence and we lose it.

Dogzbody
23rd May 2010, 07:45 PM
There was a post in the Heave Ho match day thread about us playing the Poos and Wees into form.... I think Caaaaaarrlllton did that for us today! Goodesy loves playing the sewerage, heres hoping he bounces back into redhotedness!!!!

I think Pyke will stay, Heath will stay also because of the 2 week minimum policy that Roosy has. Bradshaw, Kennelly out injured. Mumford in. Bevan OUT, MOD/Vesz in. White (if not injured in). Can Pyke kick straight? Just a question ( and don't flame me) he is a big fast body... if he can mark and kick.... Chuck him up forward?????? ducks for cover

23rd May 2010, 07:58 PM
It looks as if Braddy an Tadgh won't play so thats two we need and, as much as I like him, I think Bevan has to go. Pyke stays. McGlynn may be doubtful.

Mummy in, after that let's go with the two form ressies players, MOD and TDL. We could do with the pace and the clever forward.

That does however give us an extremely young side, MOD, TDL, Heath, Jetta, Rohan, Hanners but lets bite the bullet.

Bugger that Hawthorn were great today :-(

Bas
23rd May 2010, 08:24 PM
Breaking news about an ex Swan.

Ex-footy star Shannon Grant locked up for drunkenness in Bendigo | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ex-footy-star-shannon-grant-locked-up-for-drunkenness-in-bendigo/story-e6frfku0-1225870248303)

It is not looking good but don't be surprised if Barlow and Ted are back.

aardvark
23rd May 2010, 09:56 PM
It is not looking good but don't be surprised if Barlow and Ted are back.[/QUOTE]

If barlow returns i'll be warming up the membership shredder

Melbourne_Blood
23rd May 2010, 10:47 PM
I'd like to think if Barlow does get any other chance, and if he really does have the ability we believe he does, then he would put in a strong effort. I think it was a little harsh that he was branded Complete and Utter Dud after a game ( Geelong at Geelong ) in which he did play poorly, but so did our star full forward, most of our Midfielders, and a host of others.

The reason I'm willing to see him get another go is Playfair. I thought he was useless against the dogs, and voiced that on here. Against Fremantle however, i though he was easily one of our best. I believe maybe if Cheese had the oppurtunity to play back to back games, he might have really come out with something to prove against the doggies after a poor performance the week before. Not that he shouldn't have had somethig to prove against the cats, but thats as tough a day at the office as you can get in Footy.

aardvark
23rd May 2010, 11:02 PM
How many chances do you want him to have. i admit he is a great athlete BUT he has no understanding or feel for the game. He should try out for the Commonwealth Games athletics where he would probably do well.

swanspant12
24th May 2010, 12:33 AM

Totally agree.

Hartijon
24th May 2010, 01:14 AM
I'd like to think if Barlow does get any other chance, and if he really does have the ability we believe he does, then he would put in a strong effort. I think it was a little harsh that he was branded Complete and Utter Dud after a game ( Geelong at Geelong ) in which he did play poorly, but so did our star full forward, most of our Midfielders, and a host of others.

The reason I'm willing to see him get another go is Playfair. I thought he was useless against the dogs, and voiced that on here. Against Fremantle however, i though he was easily one of our best. I believe maybe if Cheese had the oppurtunity to play back to back games, he might have really come out with something to prove against the doggies after a poor performance the week before. Not that he shouldn't have had somethig to prove against the cats, but thats as tough a day at the office as you can get in Footy.

People are forgetting that when it rains the pace of a game slows down. Playfair came into his own in these conditions and played well which he can at that pace. My worry is on a dry day he will be exposed for lack of pace. Bevan also just has not clicked as a defensive forward although unlucky with pathetic decisions against him. The new kid looked promising and might give us something in a year or two. Can anyone explain how he got selected? So (like a broken record) the form players MOD and vez should be given a game,TDL might as well have a chance if Campbell Heath has one. Out Playfair,Bevan ,Bradshaw ,Kennelly.In Vez,MOD,TDL ,White...if McGlynne is fit then TDL misses out.

I was wrong about the team selected to play Fremantle as I predicted a 39 point loss and it was 37points. Really hate to be right but unless we get a selection on form policy things will get worse and low morale will seep through the club like a virus.Fremantle gave us 2 stars in Smith and Jack! Can't say too much about how good their game was. Rohan showed a bit and Mr Improvement Mike Pyke was really good. Both Smith and Pyke were in hot form in the reserves before promotion!!!!!! Let's get a team with potential to win on the field and then coach them well.

liz
24th May 2010, 02:51 AM
Out Playfair,Bevan ,Bradshaw ,Kennelly.In Vez,MOD,TDL ,White...if McGlynne is fit then TDL misses out.

No Mummy?

Hartijon
24th May 2010, 08:25 AM
No Mummy?

Oooooops!:o

UglyDuckling
24th May 2010, 10:16 AM
FB - Heath, Grundy, LRT
HB -Mattner, Shaw, Mal

Mids - Kirk, Bolton, McVeigh, O'Keefe, Kennedy, Jack, Jetta, Hanners, Smith, MOD
Ruck - Mummy, Pyke

HF- Goodes, McGlynn
FF- Rohan, Playfair,

That equates to
In: Mcglynn, Mummy, MOD
Out: Kennelly, Bradshaw, Beavan

This is for mine the best case scenario for this week, which is a little sad.

Mod - in because of his great form, deserves a go. Can play mid or half back
McGlynn - If fit he is an automatic selection, gives us alot more than beavan
Mummy - Obvious
Pyke - Kept his spot after a great performance against big Sandy
White - Roos said he needs a few weeks in the 2's to get his confidence back. From reports didnt dominate and rolled his ankle so for the long term good he need a couple of weeks in canberra
Playfair - Was OK on the weekend so begrudgingly because of form and injury he keeps his spot
TDL - Another couple of games like last week in canberra and he will force his way into the forward line
VEZ - ????????? Ive got nothing. seems out of favor, could be due to attitude, fitness or undisclosed disciplining
Johnston - Is regularly named in the bests could be a smokey for a spot in the forward or backline

ernie koala
24th May 2010, 10:44 AM
Out : Playfair In : Mumford
Out : Bradshaw In :TDL or White(if not injured)
Out : Kennelly In : MOD
Out : Bevan In : Vespa
This is just my wish list, I know I'll be putting up with Playfair for at least another week.

On another note I found it odd, in fact dissappointing, that the '3 captains' asked for Heath last week, and got him (he had a pretty ordinary debut but looks promising)...How many reserves games do they watch? Certainly not as many as the coaches. I would of thought the reserves coaches should be making the call, not players.

bigswan
24th May 2010, 11:06 AM
Kennelly, Bradshaw, Bevan and Playfair out if White is fit.
Mumford, McGlynn, O'Dwyer, White depending on fitness.

O'Dwyer must gat a game. They tend to reward form players and he fits into Kennelly's position well. McGlynn should play but they might demand a game in the ressies from him. Its White or Playfair for the forward post. Bird musn't be far away also. But what we need is hardness at the ball and in the tackle.

ShockOfHair
24th May 2010, 11:08 AM
Remember there are all those times when the captains make requests and they are ignored. Everyone's entitled to ask - even us! Though we are strangely ignored.

UglyDuckling
24th May 2010, 11:12 AM
Stuart Maxfied asked the coaches something when he was captain. Cant remember how it turned out though

hammo
24th May 2010, 11:44 AM
The previous week's emergencies are usually a decent guide as to who's knocking on the door so Veszpremi and O'Dwyer must be close (I am ignoring Turnover Ted though the temptation to go defensive and shore up defensive options may be too great this week).

I can't recall TDL being in the emergencies yet so despite his 7 goals, he may not immediately be in contention. We also don't know how his goals came.

I could be pushing his barrow but if Veszpremi has been playing off half back in the reserves, isn't Keneally's position ideal for him to come in?

McGlynn's match fitness at the very least must be a worry.

Captain
24th May 2010, 12:53 PM
In: MOD, Mummy, McGlynn, White
Out: Bevan, Bradshaw, Kennelly, Playfair

TDL to string a couple of good games together first. Would also like to see Ted back this week dropping in the hole in front of Buddy and Roughead.

aardvark
24th May 2010, 12:59 PM
. Would also like to see Ted back this week dropping in the hole in front of Buddy and Roughead.[/QUOTE]

Poor Ted, i heard they use him as a crash mat at training too....

Plugger46
24th May 2010, 01:06 PM
No interest in seeing Ted but I recognise that there's a good chance he'll come in, given the potency of Hawthorn's forward line.

Anyone entertaining dropping Kennedy has got no idea.

ScottH
24th May 2010, 01:53 PM
Change of attitude would be nice.

ugg
24th May 2010, 04:14 PM
Kennelly a month
Bradshaw at least 2 matches

Kennelly, Bradshaw sidelined for Swans (http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/kennelly-bradshaw-sidelined-for-swans-20100524-w71e.html)

BSA5
24th May 2010, 04:18 PM
Kennelly a month

Kennelly, Bradshaw sidelined for Swans (http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/kennelly-bradshaw-sidelined-for-swans-20100524-w71e.html)

Could have been a lot worse.

Plugger46
24th May 2010, 04:21 PM
Better news than I was expecting.

MadCanuck
24th May 2010, 04:28 PM
Seldom any credibility in these estimates. From past experience it could be double that time, especially if the source of information is the Swans marketing department.

Melbourne_Blood
24th May 2010, 04:54 PM
As Mummy will be resuming number one ruck duties maybe Pyke could drop into that hole in defense when he's not relieving Mummy . From all reports he was doing a good job as a defender in the reserves, and it would provide an oppurtunity for him to stand back and try to read the play as the ball comes in, as opposed to chasing it around in the Ruck. Yeah it could go horribly wrong but then again, with this bloke, anything could happen.

KirkysSocks
24th May 2010, 05:12 PM
Love too see Pykey drop back and be groomed as a defender..as long as his disposal is by hand..i think he has the nous to be a good defender and spoiler.

But then again Andrew Dunkley had the worst disposal i had seen in a footballer in a long time. Maybe Pyke can base his style around dunks? Mark it and then handball to a running defender?

KirkysSocks
24th May 2010, 05:14 PM
Kennelly a month

hmm knee injuries always take a bit longer..and as someone said the swans like to stretch the truth with their injury estimates.

Captain
24th May 2010, 05:23 PM
White needs to be plonked at full forward for the next 2 weeks and be given a chance.

Melbourne_Blood
24th May 2010, 05:26 PM
Aaaah Good Old Dunks. Safe hands, great spoil, punched up Hirdy in that prelim....... we could use another guy like that

Plugger46
24th May 2010, 05:30 PM
White needs to be plonked at full forward for the next 2 weeks and be given a chance.

I'd do the same. His performance in the reserves isn't going to help him though.

Kanga
24th May 2010, 05:31 PM
Could Bradshaw's known dodgy knee be the reason the Lions were keen to move him on? Is it that same knee perhaps?

Robbo
24th May 2010, 05:40 PM
I heard he has a degenerative knee problem. Could mean there is bone on bone.

neilfws
24th May 2010, 05:44 PM
Kennelly a month

Club site says about the same -
Kennelly, Bradshaw add to woes - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/94925/default.aspx) - Kennelly at least 3 wks, Bradshaw at least 2 wks.

Maybe time to try Jesse where he looked happiest last year - in Bradshaw's position - and Shaw where he looked happiest last year - Kennelly's position.

Do we have any up-and-coming defenders to try out?

Matty10
24th May 2010, 06:36 PM
Also, TDL booted 7 goals today apparently. Could be an inclusion. It would be nice to see how he goes, especially if McGlynn doesn't come up again...

Gives us some goal scoring ability & speedy CHASERS which we really need the most.

The Swans really need some genuine goal kickers to come into the team. I don't really know what sort of player TDL is, but if he has some natural talent for finding the sticks, I'd like to see him get a game also. Each week when I have a look at our line-up I really wonder where our goals are going to come from. Of course it makes it harder still when our midfield is down and the delivery into the forward half is sub-par, but that is going to happen from time to time. However, it would be nice if you had some confidence that once the ball goes into the forward line we are at least an average chance of scoring a goal (I am not sure that we are that at the moment).

I would be nice if we had someone like Betts, Milne, Schneider, Davis, Monfries, etc in our team who could take some of the pressure off the key forwards and perhaps make it easier for the rest of the team to get involved and give the opposition something to worry about also.

snajik
24th May 2010, 06:47 PM
I'm at a loss to understand how we can be coming in to round 10 and neither MOD or Patty has played a senior game. Gobsmacked.

If White is uninjured he has to come in. Mumford selection is a no-brainer. Pyke must play. Did a great job on Sandilands, however not having a second ruckman allowed Kepleer Bradley to carve us up.

Blood Fever
24th May 2010, 07:48 PM
How many chances do you want him to have. i admit he is a great athlete BUT he has no understanding or feel for the game. He should try out for the Commonwealth Games athletics where he would probably do well.

Barlow is an example of a player who you think will learn the game sense of AFL to go with his athleticism. They seldom do and when they play, this lack of a football brain is a turnover waiting to happen and they cost you big time. I know he tries very hard but he has proven too often to be too risky

UglyDuckling
24th May 2010, 07:48 PM
The Swans really need some genuine goal kickers to come into the team. I don't really know what sort of player TDL is, but if he has some natural talent for finding the sticks, I'd like to see him get a game also. Each week when I have a look at our line-up I really wonder where our goals are going to come from. Of course it makes it harder still when our midfield is down and the delivery into the forward half is sub-par, but that is going to happen from time to time. However, it would be nice if you had some confidence that once the ball goes into the forward line we are at least an average chance of scoring a goal (I am not sure that we are that at the moment).

I would be nice if we had someone like Betts, Milne, Schneider, Davis, Monfries, etc in our team who could take some of the pressure off the key forwards and perhaps make it easier for the rest of the team to get involved and give the opposition something to worry about also.

Earlier on in the year McGlynn showed that he has the ability to put the ball through the big sticks.
I am with you though i think we need a genuine small forward instead of mids just resting up there. One who has some pace. Gary Rohan is one who strikes me as someone who wil develop into a forward who can chip in with a couple per game. the other obvious on one is TDL, he kicked almost 70 in the WAFL last year, if he can keep up last weeks form i think he could do some damage in the senior team.

swansrule100
24th May 2010, 08:44 PM
i dont care so much about the player changes. I want to see a change in style and a change in attidude, want to see desperation and attack. Id rather they go longer and turn the ball over up the ground then piss around in the backline with handball to players with flat feet until they end up turning it over, creating opposition goals.

Matty10
24th May 2010, 08:55 PM
i dont care so much about the player changes. I want to see a change in style and a change in attidude, want to see desperation and attack. Id rather they go longer and turn the ball over up the ground then piss around in the backline with handball to players with flat feet until they end up turning it over, creating opposition goals.

I agree - who wants to see the ball get turned over in defence! Having said that though, I actually thought that they did kick the ball long on the weekend (although this was usually due to a lack of run, pressure etc, rather than a particular focus / desire). It was normally from half back that this occurred - rather than half forward - and it was a complete disaster due to our shocking disposal. There were very few kicks to advantage on the weekend from the Swans.

You are right in regards to the attitude aspect - that is a real worry.

RogueSwan
24th May 2010, 09:19 PM
Love too see Pykey drop back and be groomed as a defender..as long as his disposal is by hand..i think he has the nous to be a good defender and spoiler.

But then again Andrew Dunkley had the worst disposal i had seen in a footballer in a long time. Maybe Pyke can base his style around dunks? Mark it and then handball to a running defender?

I could picture Pyke sitting on the 50m line and pulling down a few marks from the kick-in, then handballing off to a sprinting Shaw opening up the forward line. Pity it is only in my mind. :frown

Aaaah Good Old Dunks. Safe hands, great spoil, punched up Hirdy in that prelim....... we could use another guy like that

Cheer Squad
24th May 2010, 10:55 PM
I'm at a loss to understand how we can be coming in to round 10 and neither MOD or Patty has played a senior game. Gobsmacked.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Especially about Vespremi. Something's not right. He's been on our list for quite a while now.

Peace
25th May 2010, 12:30 PM
MOD's disposals have always been a concern for me, he gets plenty of the pill but not often makes the best decision. Vez.... who knows maybe he just isn't putting in 100% on and off the field, he loves his DJ'ing which definitely means he would be going out a fair bit to see the endless amount of international DJ's visiting Sydney all year round, just a thought.

I really want TDL to string a few games together in the seniors and right now seems like the best time.

royboy42
25th May 2010, 01:32 PM

Mcglynn was doing exactly that goal sneak job till injured, and doing it very very well. He is expected to be back, if not TDL must be a chance!

Hartijon
25th May 2010, 02:11 PM
Mcglynn was doing exactly that goal sneak job till injured, and doing it very very well. He is expected to be back, if not TDL must be a chance!

I don't think Mc Glynn will be a starter so why not give TDL a go? 7 goals in the 2's needs rewarding.He was recruited to kick goals,he is doing that,we are short on goal kickers,,the LOGIC to me would be to pick him. So Mummy back and TDL,VEZ and MOD in. Out Bradshaw ,Kennelly, Playfair and Heath.If not Vez then White if we need a big man match up.......not Playfair or Teddy please!

Melbourne_Blood
25th May 2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think we'll be dropping a tall and a defender for two Mids, with buddy and Roughy to contend with. Though i would love to see more fresh faces in the side. Despite losing , it is exciting to see a youthful Swans side for a change

Melbourne_Blood
25th May 2010, 02:29 PM
Playfair ( Tall) and Heath ( Defender) i mean

Hartijon
25th May 2010, 02:47 PM
Playfair ( Tall) and Heath ( Defender) i mean

You mentioned not dropping a tall with Buddy and Roughhead to contend with. If we want to lose just put Playfair or Heath on Buddy and Roughhead and see what happens! The back line will be fine with LRT,Grundy,Shaw,Mattner, Smith and somebody like Vez or MOD on a 1/2 back flank.We need the mids to fire and take the pressure off the backlines and give us clearances. Heath's a nice kid and an active debut but not the answer at this point and needs more time.Will be around the mark next year I think.

UglyDuckling
25th May 2010, 02:48 PM
i know we all love white, me included but he was sent back to canberra to find some form, which by all reports he didnt do, then injured his ankle. So chances are White will not be back this week. Playfair (who i dislike as much as the next person) had 15 touches at 80% effective and kicked 2 goals which is superior to any of Jessie's performances this year (his best statistically being west coast 11 touches 91% effective 2 goals). As much as i think white has more upside and has the potential to be a very good player he needs to find some form and playfair has done enough to hold his spot. Unless injured there is no chance Playfair will be dropped.

Melbourne_Blood
25th May 2010, 03:37 PM
You mentioned not dropping a tall with Buddy and Roughhead to contend with. If we want to lose just put Playfair or Heath on Buddy and Roughhead and see what happens! The back line will be fine with LRT,Grundy,Shaw,Mattner, Smith and somebody like Vez or MOD on a 1/2 back flank.We need the mids to fire and take the pressure off the backlines and give us clearances. Heath's a nice kid and an active debut but not the answer at this point and needs more time.Will be around the mark next year I think.

Bradshaw, and probably White also, will not be playing. Fact is we are going to be light on for talls, so Playfair is a certainty to stay in the side. As good as LRT and Reg are, Buddy is on fire and if Roughy could kick he's equally as dangerous. Which means Heath ( or if not then another reasonably sized defender) will be needed down back for support. We have Midfielders in the side, we just need them to play well. I dont think we cant drop a tall utility and a Defender and replace them with two smallish midfielders.
Though i do think one of them should come into the side, it would be at Bevan's expense, not Playfair or Heaths. Therfore Out: Braddy, Kenelly, Bevan In: Mummy, MOD or VES, TDL

Captain
25th May 2010, 03:47 PM
Would love to see Sam Reid have a crack.

chuckie
25th May 2010, 08:59 PM
Roos likes to play three talls in the forward line so why don't they bring Currie in as the replacement for Bradshaw and then have Goodes, Playfair and Currie in the forward line.
Then they can rotate Mumford, Pyke and Currie through the Ruck, goal square and the bench.

Nico
25th May 2010, 09:12 PM
MOD's disposals have always been a concern for me, he gets plenty of the pill but not often makes the best decision. Vez.... who knows maybe he just isn't putting in 100% on and off the field, he loves his DJ'ing which definitely means he would be going out a fair bit to see the endless amount of international DJ's visiting Sydney all year round, just a thought.

I really want TDL to string a few games together in the seniors and right now seems like the best time.

Exactly what we need, someone who can find the pill. You can't slaughter disposal unless you get it. Not enough of our blokes are getting it. Hey, it's not as if the blokes in the side are at the top their disposal game. Desire, pace and enthusiasm is what we need now.

Captain
25th May 2010, 09:16 PM
Exactly what we need, someone who can find the pill. You can't slaughter disposal unless you get it. Not enough of our blokes are getting it. Hey, it's not as if the blokes in the side are at the top their disposal game. Desire, pace and enthusiasm is what we need now.

If anything his disposal has definitely improved. His game against the Tigers last year at the MCG was a ripper. All class disposals that day.

Nico
25th May 2010, 09:20 PM
Bradshaw, and probably White also, will not be playing. Fact is we are going to be light on for talls, so Playfair is a certainty to stay in the side. As good as LRT and Reg are, Buddy is on fire and if Roughy could kick he's equally as dangerous. Which means Heath ( or if not then another reasonably sized defender) will be needed down back for support. We have Midfielders in the side, we just need them to play well. I dont think we cant drop a tall utility and a Defender and replace them with two smallish midfielders.
Though i do think one of them should come into the side, it would be at Bevan's expense, not Playfair or Heaths. Therfore Out: Braddy, Kenelly, Bevan In: Mummy, MOD or VES, TDL

Why would you drop Bevo. Lots of people on RWO believe he can play tall. So if he plays tall then that is one less tall you need. Unless of course you have a tall that can play short. If you can bring in a tall that can play short then you have another tall to play up forward which is what Roosey likes. That tall that plays short, can then be crumbing forward that we have been hankering for. If he struggles with the tall crumbing role, he can revert to the tall marking forward role to bring the ball down for the short that plays tall, who then reverts to the short that plays short.

Chilcott
25th May 2010, 09:30 PM
Why would you drop Bevo. Lots of people on RWO believe he can play tall. So if he plays tall then that is one less tall you need. Unless of course you have a tall that can play short. If you can bring in a tall that can play short then you have another tall to play up forward which is what Roosey likes. That tall that plays short, can then be crumbing forward that we have been hankering for. If he struggles with the tall crumbing role, he can revert to the tall marking forward role to bring the ball down for the short that plays tall, who then reverts to the short that plays short.

At 8.28pm and still in the office, that's brought some light relief. Funny stuff that.

Melbourne_Blood
25th May 2010, 10:34 PM
Why drop Bevo ? Bevo has been inneffectual since coming into the side. We are playing poorly and losing games. I don't think he is going to help us turn that around. I beleive some of the form players in the reserves, if given an oppurtunity, may help us turn that around.

My concern is not with his ability to play tall or short or mid sized, it's with his ability to play.

Jewels
25th May 2010, 10:48 PM
Why drop Bevo ? Bevo has been inneffectual since coming into the side. We are playing poorly and losing games. I don't think he is going to help us turn that around. I beleive some of the form players in the reserves, if given an oppurtunity, may help us turn that around.

My concern is not with his ability to play tall or short or mid sized, it's with his ability to play.

I thought Nicos post was taking the p.....

Surely...........

Melbourne_Blood
25th May 2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah good call. I'm a goose

Far Reach
25th May 2010, 11:07 PM

Name names who will be in. Is Barlow the tall playing short (or is that the other way around)? That leaves McGlynn the short playing tall. Barlow at Mc Gylnn's feet for the crumbs. Forward line fixed!

Nico
25th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Name names who will be in. Is Barlow the tall playing short (or is that the other way around)? That leaves McGlynn the short playing tall. Barlow at Mc Gylnn's feet for the crumbs. Forward line fixed!

It is stretching it a bit for McGlynn to play tall. On the short/tall theory then we should consider teddy boy. Ted is regarded as a tall but isn't that tall so he could be regarded as a short tall being able to play short. The only problem with Ted playing short is he is unable to bend below his knees. This effectively negates his ability to play short. He is not really a tall because he is not that tall and he can't get off the ground to take a mark so his extra tallness is negated. Therefore he can only be regarded as medium, who can match up on a tall forward as long as that tall forward is not that tall. I doubt he could be genuinely used on a short forward because he isn't quick enough to use his tallness to out mark the short forward.

Peace
26th May 2010, 12:30 AM
from afl.com.au

"SYDNEY SWANS
Ruckman Shane Mumford will return from suspension against Hawthorn but Daniel Bradshaw and Tadhg Kennelly go out with knee injuries. Ben McGlynn (quad) looks likely to return through the reserves if fit, having missed five weeks. Matt O'Dwyer (54 touches), Trent Dennis-Lane (seven goals) and Pat Veszpremi head the queue of hopefuls, but Jesse White will need to do more after a quiet game for the reserves against Belconnen."

gives a good indication of what we realistically have to choose from

i'd assume mumford and mcglynn or TDL

Primmy
26th May 2010, 12:42 AM
Would love to see Sam Reid have a crack.

Understandable, but he is not physically ready yet. It will take a year in the gym and a mountain of steak and pasta before he fills out enough. He is going to be a very good backman; and yes he is a good read of the play, and he has safe hands, but his body (IMO) is not AFL battle ready yet

Really looking forward to him making his first game though.

liz
26th May 2010, 01:28 AM
from afl.com.au

"SYDNEY SWANS
Ruckman Shane Mumford will return from suspension against Hawthorn but Daniel Bradshaw and Tadhg Kennelly go out with knee injuries. Ben McGlynn (quad) looks likely to return through the reserves if fit, having missed five weeks. Matt O'Dwyer (54 touches), Trent Dennis-Lane (seven goals) and Pat Veszpremi head the queue of hopefuls, but Jesse White will need to do more after a quiet game for the reserves against Belconnen."

I'm glad of the quite strong suggestion that McGlynn won't come straight back in - not because I wouldn't love to see the pre-injury McGlynn back in the side, but because the side can't afford to carry anyone who can't run out the game, especially as we are bound to lose a couple more players to injury before half-time.

Hartijon
26th May 2010, 12:10 PM
It is stretching it a bit for McGlynn to play tall. On the short/tall theory then we should consider teddy boy. Ted is regarded as a tall but isn't that tall so he could be regarded as a short tall being able to play short. The only problem with Ted playing short is he is unable to bend below his knees. This effectively negates his ability to play short. He is not really a tall because he is not that tall and he can't get off the ground to take a mark so his extra tallness is negated. Therefore he can only be regarded as medium, who can match up on a tall forward as long as that tall forward is not that tall. I doubt he could be genuinely used on a short forward because he isn't quick enough to use his tallness to out mark the short forward.

Stop it, I am cracking up at work.This is hilarious!

ScottH
26th May 2010, 01:13 PM
I think Nico is stretching the truth a bit there.

Hartijon
26th May 2010, 02:08 PM
I think Nico is stretching the truth a bit there.
In short,he is telling tall tales!

snajik
26th May 2010, 02:18 PM
from afl.com.au

"SYDNEY SWANS

Yes well 54 touches hardly sounds like anything near enough to be considered for a spot in a side that is struggling to win matches. Rack up 78, 83, 94 possessions in the coming weeks and you might get a look in MOD.

Kanga
26th May 2010, 02:33 PM
Yes well 54 touches hardly sounds like anything near enough to be considered for a spot in a side that is struggling to win matches. Rack up 78, 83, 94 possessions in the coming weeks and you might get a look in MOD.

He must have been playing against North Melbourne to rack up that many touches!

Peace
26th May 2010, 02:39 PM

have you noticed that we haven't scored over 70 points in the last 3 games.... we don't need touches, we need goals.

Melbourne_Blood
26th May 2010, 02:51 PM
Can't kick goals if we cant get the ball. But your right we created enough inside 50's last week we just had to work way too hard for very little reward on the scoreboard compared to Freo, with their instant replies everytime we pegged one back

Peace
26th May 2010, 03:01 PM
i think with mumford back it should help our current midfield find the pill a lot more but its our forward line that is in trouble.... no bradshaw and it looks unlikely that white will be selected. so player/s to come back in with mummy should be mcglynn if fit and or TDL/Vespremi

RogueSwan
26th May 2010, 04:16 PM
i think with mumford back it should help our current midfield find the pill a lot more but its our forward line that is in trouble.... no bradshaw and it looks unlikely that white will be selected. so player/s to come back in with mummy should be mcglynn if fit and or TDL/Vespremi

Rotate Mattner into the HFF? He is pretty good shot on goals. Bring in Ves and he and Mattner can switch between HB and HF then. Put MOD in Irish's spot. I would love for Meredith to be game ready, perfect option playing between wing and fwd. Meredith on one side and Jetstar on the other would be great. ahh hypotheticals.

Far Reach
26th May 2010, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=RogueSwan;487995]Rotate Mattner into the HFF? He is pretty good shot on goals.

Mattner might be given Hodge to mind so may spend time forward this game.

rojo
27th May 2010, 12:28 AM
Our forward line for the moment looks like Playfair, Goodes, Bevan and some Rohan, with others rotating through. I don't think the Hawks backline is going to lose much sleep if thats the case. But you never know, it could be Henry's time to shine!

If Jesse is out of favour for the moment and McGlynn comes back through the ressies, it would be great to see TDL or even Lewis Johnston given a go, but if both Campbell Heath and Pyke stay in, the bench would be stacked with newbies or near newbies. Is it time to live dangerously or should Teddy get a recall!

Robbo
27th May 2010, 02:21 AM
I really don't think we can ignore MOD getting 54 possies. He would be extremely, extremely unlucky not to get a call up you would think.

Mr Magoo
27th May 2010, 10:38 AM
I really don't think we can ignore MOD getting 54 possies. He would be extremely, extremely unlucky not to get a call up you would think.

Particularly considering that his games in the firsts at the end of last season and in the preseason were all pretty impressive. Despite everyone saying his disposal is not that impressive that hasnt been the case so far when he has played in the firsts. It would be almost unfair not to give him another go in the firsts particularly as we really are lacking an outside midfielder at the moment .

Jewels
27th May 2010, 11:21 AM
Particularly considering that his games in the firsts at the end of last season and in the preseason were all pretty impressive. Despite everyone saying his disposal is not that impressive that hasnt been the case so far when he has played in the firsts. It would be almost unfair not to give him another go in the firsts particularly as we really are lacking an outside midfielder at the moment .

I agree Mr M. I thought Mods disposal in his senior games to date has by and large been very good and I see no reason why that won't continue. If he is not picked this week, there has got to be some underlying, non-form related issue.

ernie koala
27th May 2010, 12:51 PM
But you never know, it could be Henry's time to shine!

Is it time to live dangerously or should Teddy get a recall!

Having watched Playfair, over the years, in a handful of games for Geelong and a handful of games for the Swans.....There appears little or no upside on last weeks performance...that's as good as you will see from Playfair, and lets be honest it wasn't shiney, it was just ok.
I would love to think Roos and co might decide to "live dangerously" given the lack of form and inability to kick a score against good opposition...But it won't happen. History shows that over the last 3 seasons, (except for a few games at the end of last season) every time our team starts going badly, Roos gets even more conservative and defensive both with gameplan and selections. I suspect this trend will continue until there is no chance of finals, or injury forces his hand. An example of this was that neither Bevan or Playfair were picked on form, they were conservative picks where Roos knows what he's getting, and he knows they will fit into his conservative defensive gameplan

hammo
27th May 2010, 01:13 PM
Having watched Playfair, over the years, in a handful of games for Geelong and a handful of games for the Swans.....There appears little or no upside on last weeks performance...that's as good as you will see from Playfair, and lets be honest it wasn't shiney, it was just ok.
I would love to think Roos and co might decide to "live dangerously" given the lack of form and inability to kick a score against good opposition...But it won't happen. History shows that over the last 3 seasons, (except for a few games at the end of last season) every time our team starts going badly, Roos gets even more conservative and defensive both with gameplan and selections. I suspect this trend will continue until there is no chance of finals, or injury forces his hand. An example of this was that neither Bevan or Playfair were picked on form, they were conservative picks where Roos knows what he's getting, and he knows they will fit into his conservative defensive gameplan
I agree with your assessment. This is also why Turnover Ted will return this week as an additional defensive option.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 01:55 PM
Heath seems like he'll be a good defender why not give him a big job on someone please don't bring Richards back

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 02:05 PM
Our forward line for the moment looks like Playfair, Goodes, Bevan and some Rohan, with others rotating through. I don't think the Hawks backline is going to lose much sleep if thats the case. But you never know, it could be Henry's time to shine!

If Jesse is out of favour for the moment and McGlynn comes back through the ressies, it would be great to see TDL or even Lewis Johnston given a go, but if both Campbell Heath and Pyke stay in, the bench would be stacked with newbies or near newbies. Is it time to live dangerously or should Teddy get a recall!
Our forward line is a mess at the moment to keep a experienced foward like TDL out of the team is stupid

Hartijon
27th May 2010, 02:06 PM
I agree with your assessment. This is also why Turnover Ted will return this week as an additional defensive option.

Sad but true. The over riding conservative selection policy not based on form leads to low morale and less team reliance. eg Would you handball to Ted in a tight spot or kick it yourself? Either option is just as risky and players know this. An in form player brimming with confidence is running past demanding the ball from you ,a totally different option and one thats easy to honour just like the leading forward.
Then to confuse us they pop Campbell Heath in much to the surprise I believe of Reserves watchers? Hardly conservative! How would you feel if you were MOD or Vez,or even Currie and Lewis? Nice kid active debut,shocking disposal and no idea where to run but all that is predictable in such a debut.

johnno
27th May 2010, 02:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Campbell heath had an ordinary game? I've read many posts here and in other threads, with many people saying he had an OK game, but I personally believe he didn't do anything great on the weekend against freo. In fact I'm positive he'll be one who's going to be dropped this week against the hawkers.

Out: Bradshaw, Kennelly, Heath.
In: White, Mumford, McGlynn

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 02:43 PM
I thought it was ok for a youngster having his 1st game better than some of his more experienced team mates

BSA5
27th May 2010, 02:49 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Campbell heath had an ordinary game? I've read many posts here and in other threads, with many people saying he had an OK game, but I personally believe he didn't do anything great on the weekend against freo. In fact I'm positive he'll be one who's going to be dropped this week against the hawkers.

Out: Bradshaw, Kennelly, Heath.
In: White, Mumford, McGlynn

Heath had 6 tackles and 5 inside 50s. He was a bit hit and miss, but he did some good stuff and definitely deserves another game. Did a fair bit better than Gary Rohan on debut, look at him 2 games later.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 03:01 PM
No doubt Rohan will be a similar player as Cooney and maybe better

Peace
27th May 2010, 03:42 PM

haha because he has red hair?

i really hope TDL gets a call up.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 03:47 PM
He just looks that type of player hopefully he'll be better and we don't turn him into a defensive midfielder

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 03:52 PM
i really hope TDL gets a call up.

So do I he's a Subi boy he's a real forward and that what we're missing c'mon really! he's better than Bolton or Bevan up forward!

Melbourne_Blood
27th May 2010, 03:55 PM
I thought all reports were that McGlynn would come back through the Ressies?

hammo
27th May 2010, 04:01 PM
Or Brendan Goddard

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 04:07 PM
Or Brendan Goddard

Lots more zip then Goddard and hopefully we don't have to stick him down back for long periods

ernie koala
27th May 2010, 04:07 PM
Or Brendan Goddard

Or Keith Greig

Captain
27th May 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm excited about the possible changes for this week. Hopefully Roos and co wield the axe and bring in a few youngsters.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 04:44 PM
Same here MOD, TDL, Mummy, White & McGlynn I'd be happy & maybe Johnston as a specky

liz
27th May 2010, 05:22 PM
LOL - do you really think he's going to make 6 changes? Which 4 players are you going to drop? Can't see more than 3 myself, and wouldn't be that surprised with just the two enforced changes.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 05:35 PM
McGlynn will come back via the ressies so we'll sy 5

Bevan, Kennelly, Bradshaw, Heath, Kennedy this week

Plugger46
27th May 2010, 05:37 PM
What about Kennedy? He won't be going anywhere, one of our few decent contributors over recent weeks.

jono2707
27th May 2010, 05:38 PM
McGlynn will come back via the ressies so we'll sy 5

Bevan, Kennelly, Bradshaw, Heath, Kennedy this week

People who think Kennedy should be dropped are clueless. He has been one of our best all year - just because he doesn't do anything flashy doesn't mean he hasn't been doing a fantastic job...

CJK
27th May 2010, 05:40 PM
20 changes or membership torn up!

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 05:40 PM
I don't think he adds much to the team a Matthews clone

CJK
27th May 2010, 05:46 PM
O_o

Captain
27th May 2010, 05:53 PM

Surely you are pulling the piss

stellation
27th May 2010, 05:53 PM

Are you talking about Josh Kennedy and Ben Mathews there?

Nich
27th May 2010, 05:57 PM
Teams: round 10 - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95131/default.aspx)

TDL in. Edit - Possibly! Full teams tomorrow arvo of course.

Nich
27th May 2010, 05:59 PM
Interesting to see what happens with the Interchange!

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 06:04 PM
Polyfiller.............find a player who does a bit of this a bit of that drop him into that spot great if you're in a premiership window.

ugg
HAWTHORN
B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Campbell Brown
HB: Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, Tom Murphy
C: Clinton Young, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis
HF: Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Michael Osborne
F: Shaun Burgoyne, Jarryd Roughead, Rhan Hooper
R: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell

I/C: (from) Xavier Ellis, Beau Muston, Carl Peterson, Ryan Schoenmakers, Liam Shiels, Wayde Skipper, Brendan Whitecross

In: Muston, Shiels, Schoenmakers

SYDNEY
B: Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski
C: Daniel Hannebery, Brett Kirk, Lewis Jetta
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Gary Rohan, Henry Playfair, Jarrad McVeigh
R: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack

I/C: (from): Paul Bevan, Trent Dennis-Lane, Campbell Heath, Matt O'Dwyer, Mike Pyke, Ted Richards, Jesse White

In: Richards, White, O'Dwyer, Dennis-Lane, Mumford
Out: Tadhg Kennelly (knee), Daniel Bradshaw (knee)

New: Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco)

troyjones2525
Of that bench i would like to see - Dennis-Lane, Heath, O'Dwyer and White. I doubt i'll get my wish though as Pykie will probably hold his spot in the team.

hammo
27th May 2010, 06:06 PM
Vespremi missing again. Even my morale is getting down over this.

BSA5
27th May 2010, 06:11 PM

Well to be frank, you're wrong. Not often one can say that so conclusively about an opinion, but you are.

Also, Matthews at his prime was an important member of the side. Why on earth you'd compare them is absolutely beyond me though. Matthews was a small defender/tagger. Kennedy is a clearance-winning midfielder, a vital ingredient to our in and under brigade. VERY different players.

As for the team, good changes. Hopefully the bench will be Heath, TDL, MOD and Pyke.

Matty10
27th May 2010, 06:19 PM
I like this list - will be really interesting to see how the final team comes in.

It would be strange to put Campbell Heath into the team for just the one game (played out of position) and to the then drop him for a game that has plenty of forward options. I would also love to see TDL and MOD get opportunities.

As serviceable as Pyke has been, I would probably leave him out this week (the Hawks rucks not being such a worry) and just play Mumford - and maybe Goodes at times around the ground who really needs to get closer to the action. With all the injuries that we have been having, I wonder if the coaches are worried at the thought of another tall player going out of the game (hence the inclusions of Richards and White).

Robbo
27th May 2010, 06:23 PM
Of that bench i would like to see - Dennis-Lane, Heath, O'Dwyer and White. I doubt i'll get my wish though as Pykie will probably hold his spot in the team.

I agree. I don't see the need to take two ruckmen in against Hawthorn.

Nich
27th May 2010, 06:24 PM

Couldn't agree more!

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 06:37 PM
Well to be frank, you're wrong. Not often one can say that so conclusively about an opinion, but you are.

Also, Matthews at his prime was an important member of the side. Why on earth you'd compare them is absolutely beyond me though. Matthews was a small defender/tagger. Kennedy is a clearance-winning midfielder, a vital ingredient to our in and under brigade. VERY different players.

As for the team, good changes. Hopefully the bench will be Heath, TDL, MOD and Pyke.

I guess we're all entiltled to our opinions time will tell maybe he'll prove me wrong the next few years.
Even Matthews used to get clearances sometimes.

Plugger46
27th May 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm also with Troy.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 06:43 PM
I'm also with Troy.
Good for u
I look forward to many BOG performances from Kennedy

Triple B
27th May 2010, 06:43 PM
I guess we're all entiltled to our opinions time will tell maybe he'll prove me wrong the next few years.

He's proven u wrong in the first 9 games of the season.

Maybe in the next few years you'll see it.

Matty10
27th May 2010, 06:50 PM
I'm also with Troy.

Good for u

I think the comments above were actually about leaving Pyke out and playing TDL, CH, MOD & White - not about Kennedy.

Plugger46
27th May 2010, 06:52 PM
Good for u

Talking about this week's changes there, not Kennedy.

ernie koala
27th May 2010, 07:42 PM
Comparing Matthews to Kennedy???? For starters Matthews was a back pocket run with player. He flopped on the ball or man occasionally to kill a contest. Kennedy is an inside midfielder who uses his bulk and strength to win clearances, and he's good at it, he's young and IMO has a great future.
As for team selections....If the bench ends up being (as I suspect it will) Bevo, Pyke, Heath, Richards..... Then I see no ships but hardships.
If by some miracle it ends up being..White(as a forward), O'Dwyer, TDL and Heath. Then, if nothing else, it will be unpredictable and fun to watch.

Melbourne_Blood
27th May 2010, 08:19 PM
As for team selections....If the bench ends up being (as I suspect it will) Bevo, Pyke, Heath, Richards...Then I see no ships but hardships.
If by some miracle it ends up being..White(as a forward), O'Dwyer, TDL and Heath. Then, if nothing else, it will be unpredictable and fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

100% Agree. We need to roll the dice. I cannot see Teddy or Bevo blowing a game apart. MOD or TDL ? Well who knows what they could do.
If it backfires it backfires. At least we took a gamble

Nico
27th May 2010, 08:37 PM
Problem is we tend to not take a gamble.

swansrule100
27th May 2010, 09:04 PM
i think the majority of people here agree on kennedy. But i still cant believe the people who would even consider dropping him. A third year player almost averaging 20 possies a game, almost 5 tackles a game. Stats on the way up and should get more game time. In fact id be interested to see his game time this year and game time in the middle as well.

If he had been a swan from the get go this site would be dedicated to him

dimelb
27th May 2010, 09:09 PM
The bench I'd like to see is Pyke (who has done nothing to merit being dropped), Heath (who should have more than one run in the firsts before leaving again), TDL and MOD (who IMO have knocked down the door).

Matty10
27th May 2010, 09:30 PM
I'd have no real problem with those selections dimelb, but do you think that we need a second ruckman against the Hawks? His spot could be given to someone more versatile for this particular game. Or are you looking at it more long term with respect to giving him exposure for when we will need him against sides with a strong ruck set-up?

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 09:30 PM
He's proven u wrong in the first 9 games of the season.

Maybe in the next few years you'll see it.

Like I said I hope he proves me wrong over a long period of time and doesn't turn into another player clogging up the midfield with ineffective disposal

bodgie
27th May 2010, 09:45 PM
I can't see the point in dropping Pyke for one game leaving Mumford coming back solo. The team needs whatever cohesion it can find at the moment. Seaby is gone for a good while yet. Bevan and Richards aren't offering much. That leaves 2 spots for TDL MOD and White.

Lucky Knickers
27th May 2010, 09:49 PM
Like I said I hope he proves me wrong over a long period of time and doesn't turn into another player clogging up the midfield with ineffective disposal
One game at a time and all that. Right now he's not clogging up anything nor is be being ineffective. Most importantly he is taking his opportunity with both hands and really having a crack.. If your glass is half empty - go grab a top up. :)

I'd love MOD in - he loves the MCG.

Triple B
27th May 2010, 09:51 PM

What he does over a long period of time is irrelevant to the current argument/discussion.

If for some reason he gets stage fright against his old club on the weekend and finds his confidence disintegrates to the point that he never plays a decent game for the rest of his life, the fact remains, he has been terrific the first 9 rounds this year and anybody who has failed to see the little hidden things he does, well, that's say's everything.....

dimelb
27th May 2010, 09:59 PM
I'd have no real problem with those selections dimelb, but do you think that we need a second ruckman against the Hawks? His spot could be given to someone more versatile for this particular game. Or are you looking at it more long term with respect to giving him exposure for when we will need him against sides with a strong ruck set-up?
I don't think we need a second ruckman against the Hawks but it gives us a big advantage,especially when he's an enthusiastic developer like Pyke. It also helps Mummy along. And yes, I want him to have as much experience against better teams as possible, because we will be needing him to do this job for a few more weeks yet.

sWAns63
27th May 2010, 10:38 PM
What he does over a long period of time is irrelevant to the current argument/discussion.

If for some reason he gets stage fright against his old club on the weekend and finds his confidence disintegrates to the point that he never plays a decent game for the rest of his life, the fact remains, he has been terrific the first 9 rounds this year and anybody who has failed to see the little hidden things he does, well, that's say's everything.....

I'll keep an eye out for these little things he does though they might be too small to see.

aardvark
27th May 2010, 10:53 PM
Kennedy ranked first for contested possesions and second for clearances. Makes him our best midfielder in my book.
It must be hard to see the little things from 6000 klms away

royboy42
28th May 2010, 12:00 AM
There is one similarity between Cresswell and Kennedy...it's not until you have a good hard look at a replay that you see how much work they do..and how much possession they hand out. Even at the game, you need to have a good football eye, but believe me, Kennedy will not sit out a match for lack of form for a loooong time at Sydney.

Damien
28th May 2010, 12:33 AM
Negative on Kennedy? wow, really can't believe I am reading that. Kennedy is a shining light. He has a brilliant footy brain and works so hard during a game, one of my favourite players to follow around the ground, knows where to run, knows where his team mates are, knows where the opposition is, generally makes the best decision....Brilliant recruit.

Bloody Hell
28th May 2010, 04:36 AM
At the end of last weeks game both Rohan and Jetta were playing off the HF line. Looked dangerous - hopefully well see more of the same this week.

Bloody Hell
28th May 2010, 04:48 AM
???

HF: Gary Rohan, Henry Playfair, Lewis Jetta
F: Trent Dennis-Lane, Adam Goodes, Jesse White

Got to be a winning score in there somewhere!

Though I don't think White will be there. - INT Trent Dennis-Lane, Campbell Heath, Matt O'Dwyer, Mike Pyke (Probably Bevan for TDL).

johnno
28th May 2010, 10:11 AM
???

Though I don't think White will be there. - INT Trent Dennis-Lane, Campbell Heath, Matt O'Dwyer, Mike Pyke (Probably Bevan for TDL).

I like it.

aardvark
28th May 2010, 10:35 AM
Would be very surprised if Roosy doesn't go with two rucks. Maybe Henry chf, white ff, goodsy midfield, ROK hf.

Bas
28th May 2010, 10:37 AM
Well the question at the moment I think is whether Campbell Heath is better than Ted Richards. Will they play both or one.? I'm sure if there was a choice then the latter would be picked.

I don't think TDL will get a run because he is named on the interchange. Don't debutants appear on the main list? Does anyone know is Farcebook page etc.

I really like BH's forward structure but doubt it will happen. Pls no Bevan this week. However I think it will be Ted and Bevan to come in. Pyke to be rested and possibly TDL to debut.

ernie koala
28th May 2010, 11:00 AM
???

Looks good except for your CHF, and I'd like to see Goodes more in the play up the ground.
HF Gary Rohan, Adam Goodes, Lewis Jetta
FF TDL, Jesse White, ROK/ Bolton
Rok has been playing under duress and below par lately, as has Bolton, so maybe they could both spend a bit more time in the forward pocket and a bit less in the midfield this week. I'd like Pyke over Playfair as our backup ruckman...sorry Henry back to Canberra. But if not, then Playfair as backup ruckman rather than a soft slow target at CHF.

Plugger46
28th May 2010, 11:03 AM
Looks good except for your CHF, and I'd like to see Goodes more in the play up the ground.
HF Gary Rohan, Adam Goodes, Lewis Jetta
FF TDL, Jesse White, ROK/ Bolton
Rok has been playing under duress and below par lately, as has Bolton, so maybe they could both spend a bit more time in the forward pocket and a bit less in the midfield this week. I'd like Pyke over Playfair as our backup ruckman...sorry Henry back to Canberra.

Playfair's named at FF, so he'll definitely play.

hammo
28th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Well the question at the moment I think is whether Campbell Heath is better than Ted Richards. Will they play both or one.? I'm sure if there was a choice then the latter would be picked.

I don't think TDL will get a run because he is named on the interchange. Don't debutants appear on the main list? Does anyone know is Farcebook page etc.

I really like BH's forward structure but doubt it will happen. Pls no Bevan this week. However I think it will be Ted and Bevan to come in. Pyke to be rested and possibly TDL to debut.

Well MOD is doing the Friday presser with Roos and is playing. I guess that means no TDL this week (he'd talk to the media otherwise)... Suspect the bench with be MOD, Bevan, Richards and White/Pyke.

Coach Paul Roos and young midfielder Matt O'Dwyer will be available to speak to the media before training on the SCG today.

O'Dwyer, 21, has been selected to play his first senior game for 2010 against Hawthorn on Sunday, after gathering 54 disposals for the Swans Reserves last weekend.

ugg
28th May 2010, 11:09 AM
I've been told that TDL is NOT debuting this week. All the other benchies will be flying to Melbourne, the weather might dictate on who is playing on Sunday.

Plugger46
28th May 2010, 11:11 AM
Well MOD is doing the Friday presser with Roos and is playing. I guess that means no TDL this week (he'd talk to the media otherwise)... Suspect the bench with be MOD, Bevan, Richards and White/Pyke.

If Richards, Bevan and Pyke are all on the bench then we're in a bit of trouble.

msb
28th May 2010, 11:19 AM
If Richards, Bevan and Pyke are all on the bench then we're in a bit of trouble.

We are in trouble anyway regardless of who plays thats available. Take 2 key backs, a ruck and a key forward out of any side and they'll struggle. Naming playfair at full forward FFS?! Well say no more! I really wanted TDL to debut, looking forward to seeing the other kids play on sunday in what otherwise could be a long day at the G'

Jewels
28th May 2010, 11:20 AM
I'll keep an eye out for these little things he does though they might be too small to see.

You appear to be about the only person on here who doesn't see those little things.
Perhaps you need a visit to OPSM!

Kennedy ranked first for contested possesions and second for clearances. Makes him our best midfielder in my book.
It must be hard to see the little things from 6000 klms away

I agree, I think he's been terrific and a great pick up.
Quickly joining my list of favourite Swans.

Matty10
28th May 2010, 11:20 AM
...crud.

I was hoping that TDL would play as we need another forward-line option.

ernie koala
28th May 2010, 11:23 AM

Add Playfair to that trio and I'd say a LOT of trouble.

hammo
28th May 2010, 12:22 PM

It's not my preference, just what I suspect will happen!

Plugger46
28th May 2010, 12:25 PM
It's not my preference, just what I suspect will happen!

Yeah, I know. I think most suspected the same. Hope White plays ahead of Richards.

sWAns63
28th May 2010, 12:37 PM

It would be a pity if a forward like TDL can't get a gig with the forward line being in such a mess the problem is it's being used as a dumping ground for our over abundance of one paced midfielders

Jesse Richards
28th May 2010, 01:09 PM
If both Pyke and Mummy play, Pyke could do much of the ruck work, freeing up Mummy to advantage elsewhere on the field. (But I could be biased - Mummy seems to have acquired near deity status in my football consciousness and I'm not sure why.)

RogueSwan
28th May 2010, 01:10 PM
It would be a pity if a forward like TDL can't get a gig with the forward line being in such a mess the problem is it's being used as a dumping ground for our over abundance of one paced midfielders

McVeigh needs to play/rest forward a bit more. Last year he was averaging about a goal a game, this year about 1 goal every 3 games. It is not as though he is getting anymore possession. I think his average is up one pos/game.

ugg
28th May 2010, 01:11 PM
Umpires
Michael Vozzo (2)
Dean Margetts (6)
Robert Findlay (23)
EM: Stefan Grun (13)
Umpires in GREEN

hammo
28th May 2010, 01:53 PM
Umpires
Michael Vozzo (2)
Dean Margetts (6)
Robert Findlay (23)
EM: Stefan Grun (13)
Umpires in GREEN

Aren't Hawthorn wearing a Kokoda memorial jumper... in camouflage green!

EDIT: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/luke-hodge-says-real-hawks-will-return-this-weekend/story-e6freck3-1225862053617

Melbourne_Blood
28th May 2010, 01:55 PM
Swans hope key role will rejuvenate White - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95211/default.aspx)

Looks like it's going to be White, MOD, Pyke. Doesn't mention TDL's name.

Probably Heath or Teddy for the last spot.

Almost have too many talls for this game with Mummy, Pyke, White and Playfair. Would like to see Playfair given a break but there's no way that will happen

scolsey22
28th May 2010, 01:59 PM
Article on the AFL website
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95211/default.aspx
Jesse is back in, Matty' O Dwyer is getting a game. It also seems that Pyke is gonna stay in as back up ruck. So that leaves one spot open on the bench. Roos has confirmed that that bevo is out the side. So TDL, Heath or Richards will get the last spot. Which i think will go to a defender.

old blood
28th May 2010, 02:04 PM
Article on the AFL website
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95211/default.aspx
Jesse is back in, Matty' O Dwyer is getting a game. It also seems that Pyke is gonna stay in as back up ruck. So that leaves one spot open on the bench. Roos has confirmed that that bevo is out the side. So TDL, Heath or Richards will get the last spot. Which i think will go to a defender.

Could have been worse. White may do better if he's given the main responsibility and told to go hard at the ball and not hang back.

liz
28th May 2010, 02:47 PM
Given the way they've talked up Heath's efforts last week, and on the Swans' website today Maxfield talks about how Heath will need to pick up Kennelly's role, I suspect they will go with Heath. By bringing White into the side, there is some tall cover in case either LRT or Reg gets injured. Don't think Ted is tall or agile enough to play on either of these two anyway. Marty should be able to fill the role of standing in any holes in front of Roughhead or Franklin.

JudesaGun
28th May 2010, 02:49 PM
2 out of 3 ain't bad - would have liked to have seen TDL get a game, but White and MOD are good ins. Playfair should also be dropped.

I'd say Heath will stay in.

Peace
28th May 2010, 03:20 PM
yeah drop playfair! he might kick THREE goals this week!!!

stellation
28th May 2010, 03:29 PM

He might.

Peace
28th May 2010, 03:34 PM
If he does kick three or more i will personally write to roos threatening to tear up my membership unless he be dropped.

Captain
28th May 2010, 03:41 PM
So looks like Bevan is out which is good!

waterfowl
28th May 2010, 03:46 PM
If both Pyke and Mummy play, Pyke could do much of the ruck work, freeing up Mummy to advantage elsewhere on the field. (But I could be biased - Mummy seems to have acquired near deity status in my football consciousness and I'm not sure why.)

It's because he has supernatural powers. I see what looks like a small agile ball getter, diving into packs, hand balling out - and as he's running at lightning speed, I say, "Who's That?" And then he appears to morph into this huge 200 cm, 102 kg elite ruckman

Melbourne_Blood
28th May 2010, 04:14 PM
That's why he's so great. And he's got plenty of improvement left in him. I'd love to see him have a field day along with a bunch of our youngsters against the hawks, and wake up on Monday morning to the Headline
" MUMFORD AND SONS DESTROY HAWKS".

Primmy
28th May 2010, 04:39 PM
You must always respect your Mummy....

Primmy
28th May 2010, 04:41 PM

The more we bag him, the better he plays. Sack the bloke I say!!

Melbourne_Blood
28th May 2010, 05:40 PM
Teams: round 10, including Sunday's line-ups - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95131/default.aspx)

Heath get's the nod ahead of Ted.

Bleed Red Blood
28th May 2010, 05:48 PM
Teams: round 10, including Sunday's line-ups - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95131/default.aspx)

Oh joy! Less groaning from me Sunday.

swansrule100
28th May 2010, 05:54 PM
The more we bag him, the better he plays. Sack the bloke I say!!

tie bricks to his feet and chuck him in sydney harbour and let a shark eat him then bury the remains in the fire.

now he will kick 10

wearebloods
28th May 2010, 05:55 PM
Jetta has realised (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/95229/default.aspx) changing his boots was a bad idea, so green it is this week..we're a shoe in ;)

aardvark
28th May 2010, 05:57 PM

Yipee some common sense at last. pity about TDL but hopefully he will kick another bag in the magoos

Captain
28th May 2010, 06:01 PM
I know the midfield won't line up like this, but Kirk, Bolton Jack is not going to scare anyone!

Good to see Bevan dropped and Jessie back.

Nico
28th May 2010, 06:44 PM
We always seem to go with a back up ruckman but I can't believe a bloke who kicks 60 odd goals in the WAFL and is recruited for that reason, snags 7 in the 2's and is cherry ripe to be included, doesn't get a gig. Have some balls fellas. We can't kick goals of late; staggering.

Robbo
28th May 2010, 07:12 PM
Stupid stuff IMO. We have taken in one tall too many, and I bet Hawthorn will run us off our legs now.

I just don't think Pyke brings much to the table. It's all good and well that he has improved and rah rah rah but the reality is that atm he isn't up to the standard of an AFL ruckman. Modern day ruckmen need to contribute around the ground.

I agree with Nico. TDL is very stiff. I can't comprehend how we can leave him out when we are struggling to kick a score, mind boggling stuff.

Nico
28th May 2010, 07:50 PM
Stupid stuff IMO. We have taken in one tall too many, and I bet Hawthorn will run us off our legs now.

I just don't think Pyke brings much to the table. It's all good and well that he has improved and rah rah rah but the reality is that atm he isn't up to the standard of an AFL ruckman. Modern day ruckmen need to contribute around the ground.

I agree with Nico. TDL is very stiff. I can't comprehend how we can leave him out when we are struggling to kick a score, mind boggling stuff.

Pykey is a big lad. Someone must be bringing him a lot to the table.

ernie koala
28th May 2010, 09:21 PM
Better than I expected, with White to play full forward (where he's played his best footy) IMO our best option while Bradshaw is out..
Bevan dropped , he was terrible last week and by all accounts wasn't playing well in the 2's.
Given the selection of White, one wonders why both Playfair and Pyke are playing, especially given the wet weather expected.
IMO TDL should be playing in place of one of them.

dimelb
28th May 2010, 09:35 PM

IMO the problem isn't Pyke, it's White, who is lucky to be in. I think he has huge potential, and I hope he makes the most of it, but I think he is lucky and (I agree with you) TDL is stiff. Still, it's not a bad lineup.

Primmy
28th May 2010, 11:20 PM
With Pyke in, doing his job as backup ruckman, it means Mummy gets more onball time, top move as far as I am concerned. They obviously believe in White, and I always think its better to nurture than to torture, so give him back the spot he works best at, and help the kid grow a bit more in that position while it is free. It is going to be his in the future anyway, especially if we manage to a) get him up to scratch, and b) he stays here. TDL is stiff, of course, but it is still his first year with us, not exactly a disasterous outcome at this stage.

Velour&Ruffles
28th May 2010, 11:24 PM
Better than I expected, with White to play full forward (where he's played his best footy) IMO our best option while Bradshaw is out..
Bevan dropped , he was terrible last week and by all accounts wasn't playing well in the 2's.
Given the selection of White, one wonders why both Playfair and Pyke are playing, especially given the wet weather expected.
IMO TDL should be playing in place of one of them.

"one wonders why both Playfair and Pyke are playing?"

Here's why.

Nobody has done appreciably better against the leviathin Sandilands this year than the Big Canuck did last week. It was a really good performance. From a guy who has played 10 (or 8 or 11 or whatever the hell it is) games of league footy in his life it was a blinder.
And big Henry has been an OK target in the last 2 weeks. Not sensational. Not even great. But certainly of league standard and until we have a better option (which we don't seem to have at the moment) I'm happy to go with him. He gives it his all and that's all anyone yan ask.

To quote someone on this site: I like Pyke.
And I reckon Henry is tolerable too.

ugg
28th May 2010, 11:26 PM
Richards and Bevan aren't playing reserves tomorrow so you would have to assume there are players in doubt or they might do a switch depending on the weather

hammo
28th May 2010, 11:54 PM
Just have to laugh at those you think Pyke offers us anything around the ground. For @@@@s sake Playfair is useless so what does that make Mike?

Hawks by 6 goals and the coaches can wear it.

Velour&Ruffles
29th May 2010, 12:09 AM
Just have to laugh at those you think Pyke offers us anything around the ground. For @@@@s sake Playfair is useless so what does that make Mike?

Huh? Why is Pyke vs Playfair the relevant comparison here?

I'm far more inyterested in Pyke vs the Dawks second string ruckman, being Wayde Skipper at the moment. Given how he went against Sandilands, I'm happy to give the Big Canuck a go against Skipper.

And I'm ecstatic at the prospect of Mumford against Renouf to go with it. Renouf = steaming fecal matter.

Peace
29th May 2010, 01:52 AM

yeah!!! screw playfair! he is rubbish!

Bleed Red Blood
29th May 2010, 04:30 AM
Huh? Why is Pyke vs Playfair the relevant comparison here?

I'm far more inyterested in Pyke vs the Dawks second string ruckman, being Wayde Skipper at the moment. Given how he went against Sandilands, I'm happy to give the Big Canuck a go against Skipper.

And I'm ecstatic at the prospect of Mumford against Renouf to go with it. Renouf = steaming fecal matter.

Skipper's a 90's gen second stringer, only KP size. I hope Pyke learns in this game what he can do with his size in a mismatch like this.

Renouf I think is doing a tremendous job given his age/being the only fit ruckman.

Re: Playfair, against the Dogs he seemed to be playing ROK's old role, a shame he lacks the creativity of his incumbant and is therefore fairly redundant: From what I've seen the problem isn't getting the ball into the 50, it's having someone who can then kick it through the sticks. We also lack someone who consistantly takes big marks up forward, Goodes does but only sporadically and not exactly pack splitting, I think this is a reason the midfield lack confidence just bombing long. Hopefully Mumford develops that part of his game to start kicking the 15 odd goals we lost when Jols packed up. Big Jesse does have the propencity, too, I suppose. But it just isn't happening for him right now.

I still say Malkeski should be on a forward flank, harder to release him from the back atm with Kennelly out but I think it should be looked at long term. Think Andrew Embley. Also, as much as Jude has improved his goal kicking of late since his attacking ability is centred on his ability to lead well more so than sharking off a contest, but unless he starts them from the goal square by the time he's delivered the ball he is out of range.

Primmy
29th May 2010, 11:18 AM
The fact that Mal doesn't like being anywhere else but the back, and knows his rythm (can't spell the blighter!) from that point, I would say its not a replacing that would be considered.
Jude has always had surprise goals up his sleeve....right throughout his career, he even hugged Plugger after a memorable scramble.....but he is a centre player, not a forward player. He just magics a goal or so when all the stars align.

Agree Mike has to not be hamstrung by his size; he is a bit of a big unit, but he was being constantly pinged by the amateur umps in the ressies for using his size, so he just started to drop off. With another seniors game, more confidence in the role he is asked to play, perhaps we will see him use his size this round. I like him; he is not a great player, he looks awkward, but he is not the only big player to do so, and he is willing, he has learned a massive amount, and more importantly he is there.....much rather have Pyke than say...noone.

Bas
29th May 2010, 12:06 PM
The fact that Mal doesn't like being anywhere else but the back, and knows his rythm (can't spell the blighter!) from that point, I would say its not a replacing that would be considered.
Jude has always had surprise goals up his sleeve....right throughout his career, he even hugged Plugger after a memorable scramble.....but he is a centre player, not a forward player. He just magics a goal or so when all the stars align.

Agree Mike has to not be hamstrung by his size; he is a bit of a big unit, but he was being constantly pinged by the amateur umps in the ressies for using his size, so he just started to drop off. With another seniors game, more confidence in the role he is asked to play, perhaps we will see him use his size this round. I like him; he is not a great player, he looks awkward, but he is not the only big player to doo, and he is willing, he has learned a massive amount, and more importantly he is there.....much rather have Pyke than say...noone.

Primmy you're not saying that size matters are you?

Rhythm has an "H" in it so it's spelt ryhthm.

dimelb
29th May 2010, 12:08 PM
Skipper's a 90's gen second stringer, only KP size. I hope Pyke learns in this game what he can do with his size in a mismatch like this.

Renouf I think is doing a tremendous job given his age/being the only fit ruckman.

Re: Playfair, against the Dogs he seemed to be playing ROK's old role, a shame he lacks the creativity of his incumbant and is therefore fairly redundant: From what I've seen the problem isn't getting the ball into the 50, it's having someone who can then kick it through the sticks. We also lack someone who consistantly takes big marks up forward, Goodes does but only sporadically and not exactly pack splitting, I think this is a reason the midfield lack confidence just bombing long. Hopefully Mumford develops that part of his game to start kicking the 15 odd goals we lost when Jols packed up. Big Jesse does have the propencity, too, I suppose. But it just isn't happening for him right now.

I agree with much of this. The annoying and frustrating thing is that in the first few matches, the ball was coming into the F50 accurately and quickly. I realise that happens partly because weaker teams allow you to do it and stronger teams don't; the point is that we can do it with a bit of opportunity. I hope we see a bit more of it tomorrow.

liz
29th May 2010, 12:18 PM

Or even "rhythm"

Primmy
29th May 2010, 01:28 PM

possibly....!

ernie koala
29th May 2010, 02:34 PM
"one wonders why both Playfair and Pyke are playing?"

Here's why.

Nobody has done appreciably better against the leviathin Sandilands this year than the Big Canuck did last week. It was a really good performance. From a guy who has played 10 (or 8 or 11 or whatever the hell it is) games of league footy in his life it was a blinder.
And big Henry has been an OK target in the last 2 weeks. Not sensational. Not even great. But certainly of league standard and until we have a better option (which we don't seem to have at the moment) I'm happy to go with him. He gives it his all and that's all anyone yan ask.

To quote someone on this site: I like Pyke.
And I reckon Henry is tolerable too.

Are you in politics? How about addressing my coments in context..."GIVEN THE SELECTION OF WHITE, one wonders why both Playfair and Pyke are playing, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE WET WEATHER EXPECTED."
My post had nothing to do with bagging Playfair or Pyke....Infact I've never bagged Pyke, he is in the infancy of learning the game, and may one day be a useful player. He competes well in and around the ruck contests, but so far has offered little around the ground. Playfair on the other hand, I've bagged his selection many times, because he's a plodder who is tall, he has no physical presence, he's slow and has no upside from what I've seen of him over the years. Playing both these guys on a slippery MCG, when we already have Mumford , White, Goodes, LRT in the side, seems like one too many tall, especially given what they offer. One could argue for either, as back up ruckman for tomorrow, but IMO we certainly don't need both.

Bas
29th May 2010, 03:02 PM
Or even "rhythm"

Uneven rhythm is always better

Velour&Ruffles
29th May 2010, 03:12 PM
Are you in politics? How about addressing my coments in context..."GIVEN THE SELECTION OF WHITE, one wonders why both Playfair and Pyke are playing, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE WET WEATHER EXPECTED."
My post had nothing to do with bagging Playfair or Pyke....Infact I've never bagged Pyke, he is in the infancy of learning the game, and may one day be a useful player. He competes well in and around the ruck contests, but so far has offered little around the ground. Playfair on the other hand, I've bagged his selection many times, because he's a plodder who is tall, he has no physical presence, he's slow and has no upside from what I've seen of him over the years. Playing both these guys on a slippery MCG, when we already have Mumford , White, Goodes, LRT in the side, seems like one too many tall, especially given what they offer. One could argue for either, as back up ruckman for tomorrow, but IMO we certainly don't need both.

I'm convinced.

Nich
29th May 2010, 06:05 PM
Looking like Richmond could upset Port! The Dogs lost to the Dees. Massive game for us tomorrow. If we don't capitalise on these two (possibly) teams slipping up it will be a real shot in the foot! C'mon boys!!

Bas
29th May 2010, 09:43 PM
Looking like Richmond could upset Port! The Dogs lost to the Dees. Massive game for us tomorrow. If we don't capitalise on these two (possibly) teams slipping up it will be a real shot in the foot! C'mon boys!!

Should know from Swans history, whenever it is a massive game, they always fall short.

Dogs lost to Bombers you mean.

Bloody Hell
29th May 2010, 11:16 PM

Pyke has morphed into a good backup ruckman. His efforts against Sandilands were outstanding.

He still has alot of upside and the best way to draw it out of him at this stage is to play in the one's. When Seaby returns we won't see him much - unless he is pushed into a KPD.

Has taken a few sterling contested marks as well.

Young Blood
30th May 2010, 01:57 AM
I am encouraged that we have 11 players under 24 this week

Hartijon
30th May 2010, 08:51 AM
Watching the Brisbane/Collingwood game brought home clearly to me that the most obvious thing of all is that you must have forwards who can kick goals. Brisbane had one and Fev kicked goals that were sheer brilliance. Aside from his goals he seemed slow,reluctant to chase and unfit yet he won the game! At the other end Collingwood had no one and missed the brilliance of Medhurst. The lesson for the Swans.......... you can pick players coz they are big,you can pick them coz they are fast, you can get the whole team tackling hard and the forwards applying defensive pressure. None of this will win you a game unless you kick goals. These things might set you up for a win but you must have that player who can finish it off with a goal. We have that player in Bradshaw and boy do we miss him.I believe the selectors erred in not picking TDL who is also a natural gifted goal kicker.

UglyDuckling
30th May 2010, 11:57 AM
i would agree with you that we dont have enough pure forwards in the team.

I would prefer a couple of permanent small forwards instead of rotating midfielders through the whole time. Look at Geelong thy have pod, mooney, hawkins, chapman, johnson, varcoe and stokes except for chapman and varcoe they are all genuine forwards. It makes them far more dangerous and efficient from entries inside 50. Where this week we have White, Playfair, Rohan who are forwards (using the term loosely) then we will rotate O'keefe, mcveigh, bolton, jack, jetta,kennedy, hanners and goodes through midfield and up forward. All these guys will try hard but arnt really genuine forwards who can regularly kick multiple goals (besides goodes).

For mine we would look a more dangerous team if we had a few more permanent forwards especially smalls who have pace, skill and goal sense. For mine we need Bradshaw, white, rohan, TDL, McGlynn and maybe moore to play largely as forwards then rotate goodes and other mids thorough. I understand that this best case scenario is not possible atm because of injury so considering our lack of forwards at the moment we most definitely needed TDL in

Jewels
31st May 2010, 12:33 AM
Watching the Brisbane/Collingwood game brought home clearly to me that the most obvious thing of all is that you must have forwards who can kick goals. Brisbane had one and Fev kicked goals that were sheer brilliance. Aside from his goals he seemed slow,reluctant to chase and unfit yet he won the game! At the other end Collingwood had no one and missed the brilliance of Medhurst. The lesson for the Swans.......... you can pick players coz they are big,you can pick them coz they are fast, you can get the whole team tackling hard and the forwards applying defensive pressure. None of this will win you a game unless you kick goals. These things might set you up for a win but you must have that player who can finish it off with a goal. We have that player in Bradshaw and boy do we miss him.I believe the selectors erred in not picking TDL who is also a natural gifted goal kicker.

A very prophetic post.......

Lucky Knickers
31st May 2010, 11:06 PM
People who think Kennedy should be dropped are clueless. He has been one of our best all year - just because he doesn't do anything flashy doesn't mean he hasn't been doing a fantastic job...
Where are those people?
Great game by JPK. I am loving this guy.

Bas
31st May 2010, 11:12 PM
I hope TDL can come in soon. He's a lot younger than Podsiadly.