PDA

View Full Version : Hannebery

hammo
31st May 2010, 11:30 AM
Let's hope the next major announcement made by the club pertains to Hanners' new contract.

I think he's out of contract at the end of the year. Andrew Ireland should be getting a new deal to his manager pronto!

honour_the_name
31st May 2010, 11:38 AM
Absolutely agree. The kid is a sensation! Don't want him going anywhere like GC or WS.

Blood
31st May 2010, 11:40 AM
Agree.

I reckon even at his tender age something in the ball park of 4 years and $1million-plus would be about right.

Plugger46
31st May 2010, 12:12 PM
Best 19 year old I've ever seen in red and white.

Doctor J.
31st May 2010, 12:32 PM

Thats a big call.

The kid will be a star for this club no doubt about it

dimelb
31st May 2010, 12:34 PM
Whaddawewant? Hanners!
Whendowewantim? Now!

31 hard at it
31st May 2010, 12:37 PM
He was the standout player on a dreary day at the G.
Class as he ran from the cetre to the wing all day providing a real option to attack.
The goal from 70 was a stunner.
He is a key to the next 10 years in Red and White.
Thats why we go to the game - to see class !

magic.merkin
31st May 2010, 12:42 PM
yep loved him.

I though he'd squeezed himself to wide in the last few metres on that shot from out side 50, but nope!

ScottH
31st May 2010, 12:50 PM
After a couple of flukey goals??
Come on!!!! ;)

Cheer_Cheer
31st May 2010, 12:58 PM
I'm a little scared his 19 yo body is getting belted too hard too soon.. I'd hate for us to be talking in 2 or 3 years about what could have been..

Plugger46
31st May 2010, 01:49 PM
Thats a big call.

I'm only 23 so that's since about 1993.

swansrule100
31st May 2010, 01:51 PM
as long as he doesnt go back home

giant
31st May 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm a little scared his 19 yo body is getting belted too hard too soon.. I'd hate for us to be talking in 2 or 3 years about what could have been..

Yep occurred to me too, especially when he got up grimacing after that mark in the Q3. All the commentators were going on about Brown, and I'm scared witless about Dan. Speaking of shoulders, Rohan all OK after his shoulder problem?

JF_Bay22_SCG
31st May 2010, 02:13 PM
Thats a big call.

He is a born footballer. He is not an athlete trained in the skills of the game. He knows where to be, where to kick it. And has brilliant skills.

The best thing I like about him is his confidence. He was up on stage was very eloquent & passionate in the way he spoke.

A future club captain for sure! We in the Cheer Squad are calling him "The Future" already!

swansrule100
31st May 2010, 02:14 PM
also has one trait a lot of better players lack, he takes the game on and takes risks, i like that about rohan too. We have some players who have been great for us for ages, but they hesitate a lot

sWAns63
31st May 2010, 02:19 PM
also has one trait a lot of better players lack, he takes the game on and takes risks, i like that about rohan too. We have some players who have been great for us for ages, but they hesitate a lot

Looks great for the future Hanners, Rohan, Jack and hopefully Jetta plenty of class and zip there.

Brettb
31st May 2010, 02:26 PM
Looks great for the future Hanners, Rohan, Jack and hopefully Jetta plenty of class and zip there.

You should include Kennedy in that list, he is still only 21 and will be a 10 year player

Plugger46
31st May 2010, 02:28 PM
You should include Kennedy in that list, he is still only 21 and will be a 10 year player

Yep, he is a gun. Hanners and Kennedy nearly dragged us over the line yesterday.

sWAns63
31st May 2010, 02:36 PM

Hanners, Rohan, Jack & Jetta should be game winners wouldn't it be great if players like Meredith, Bird, Smith, White & Kennedy could be also

Primmy
31st May 2010, 02:53 PM
He is a good kid, he has a fantastic pedigree (and don't say that doesn't count), he plays to win, he has a very well developed body, he is self assured, great powers of concentration, probably also puts the toilet seat down when appropriate, and he has already proven himself to be a leader (School Sports Captain). Its all there. However, WE THE PEOPLE, have to give it time to let all this talent shake down into its proper space. We are very fortunate to have some good kids coming through, whose journey we will enjoy. Don't think the PTB will let him burn out too early.

stellation
31st May 2010, 03:06 PM
Hanners, Rohan, Jack & Jetta should be game winners wouldn't it be great if players like Meredith, Bird, Smith, White & Kennedy could be also

Semantics I realize, but I don't really get why Lewis is a should and Josh is a could.

That said, t I agree with the overall sentiment; exciting times ahead indeed!

sWAns63
31st May 2010, 03:15 PM
With his pace and skills Jetta could rip a team to shreds or could kick miraculous goal that could turn a game on it's head all he needs is the confidence.......wiil take time

Matty10
31st May 2010, 03:16 PM
Let's hope the next major announcement made by the club pertains to Hanners' new contract.

That's exactly what I was thinking after the game yesterday - it would be an absolute disaster if we were not able to secure him.

BSA5
31st May 2010, 03:31 PM
as long as he doesnt go back home

Or to the coast! :(

neilfws
31st May 2010, 03:37 PM

Yes. I'm trying not to get carried away too soon (we know all the bad things that can happen to young footballers!) But he's terrific, most exciting prospect I've seen in years. I thought that sensational running goal yesterday was going to be one of those match turning-points; unfortunately, nobody else could get their skills together and close it out.

i'm-uninformed2
31st May 2010, 03:55 PM
You have to go to the base of the article, but Sheehan makes clear his view of the impending Rising Star winner . . .

Look out if Hawks actually find some form | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/look-out-if-hawks-actually-find-some-form/story-e6frf9jf-1225873225204)

ScottH
31st May 2010, 04:18 PM
He spoke at the AM.
When asked what his dad said to him after such a great game, they reply was "He didn't say much, just me know that Sewell got a few easy touches."

Nich
31st May 2010, 04:55 PM
"Sometimes I think players get caught up in where to stand, what to do, how to get the ball - Dan just goes and gets it, which is a great quality to have." - Paul Roos.

He makes it sound so simple : )

Why can't we do it?

aardvark
31st May 2010, 05:54 PM
Can someone educate me cos i'm a bit lost. When your rucks are completely dominating why do you need defensive midfielders. Surely you would have to be a good chance to get first use most of the time. Makes more sense than letting the opposition get it then trying to tackle them i think.

sWAns63
31st May 2010, 06:11 PM
Can someone educate me cos i'm a bit lost. When your rucks are completely dominating why do you need defensive midfielders. Surely you would have to be a good chance to get first use most of the time. Makes more sense than letting the opposition get it then trying to tackle them i think.

That's a great one, why do we have defensive midfielders when our Ruckman are clearly winning the hit outs.Maybe we just need to bash the ball forward sometimes put them under immediate pressure

Cheer Squad
31st May 2010, 06:21 PM
On yesterday's form, he shows all the signs of being a future Brownlow medallist. I just hope he stays injury free and signs with us again at the end of the year.

Matty10
31st May 2010, 06:49 PM

That is probably how football used to be played to a large extent when coaches had less say over how a game was played. I suppose our coaches have asked themselves the question are our midfielders better than the opposition at the moment. We probably play two defensive to one offensive at the moment around the stoppages, against strong midfields. If we had Kerr and Judd in their prime it would probably be the reverse.

It also relates a fair bit to what Roos was saying in respect to Hannerbery. Some players know how to read the play better than others, and around ruck contests some players know how to read the ball off the ruckmen's hands better than others (from either team). Historically, plenty of teams have won games by dominating the midfield even when their rucks have lost the tap outs. Not all players are in and under ball winners either. Every team would have defensive midfielders who try and stay on the outside of those who want to break to space when they see, or read, an opportunity out of the play.

Plus there is also the fact that although Mumford was 'dominating' it does not always mean that he gets the ball exactly where he wants it to go, it sometimes just means that he is not allowing the opposition ruckman to have any effect on the play, which is not quite the same thing but very beneficial nonetheless. There are eight players at centre bounces (and more around the ground) all trying to have an effect on the play after a ruck contest (through blocking, positioning, reading the play, and using whatever other natural abilities they can muster), Mumford is good, but he is still only one.

aardvark
31st May 2010, 06:55 PM
In the second half of the game he tapped the ball outside the contest to our advantage so the midfielders could run onto it. That was when we started to win some clearances. Unfortunately that was when Kirky became ineffective. Mitchell started to beat him to it.

aardvark
31st May 2010, 07:17 PM
And can someone please tell me Hannebury has a long term contract ASAP

sWAns63
31st May 2010, 07:33 PM
Better lock him in now before GC get their grubby hands on him

hammo
31st May 2010, 07:49 PM
And can someone please tell me Hannebury has a long term contract ASAP

Unless he's signed a new one we don't know of, it expires at the end of this season.

Hartijon
31st May 2010, 07:52 PM

Robots play robotic football. You are right! There is no need for defensive midfielders if the taps are to our advantage.Just getting the tap does not automatically mean it goes to one of our players however. A player like Gary Ablett will shark just as many of the oppositions taps as them and would always need a defensive match up (IMO) . The truth is Mc Veigh is our stand out midfielder,the rest have been quite ordinary lately despite the ruck dominance. We will always struggle to win if we keep getting smashed in the middle.

TheHood
31st May 2010, 08:09 PM
Plugger46 is right to say Dan is the most exciting 19 year old in a long time.

He is a great competitor. Although a Xavs boy, his Dad and Grandad are not to be denied when it comes to tough on a footy field. Dan get's no repireve, they want him to play tough and do well.

His game was a rippa. I was worried this week that his young mind might start to stray and his form slump a little but then, in a moment, he rested all my worries.

There is a very good chance that Dan might end up close to Sydney B & F. I am also tipping that Mummy will be his major competitor for that accolade. Kieran Jack and Nick Smith are looking like good things too.

Lucky Knickers
31st May 2010, 10:55 PM
He made me think of Willo on Sunday.

He is fantastic. I am so looking forward to watching what this young team can do in 5 years.

Bas
31st May 2010, 11:09 PM
He won't be leaving the Swans. How good will he be at 26?

liz
31st May 2010, 11:22 PM
There is a very good chance that Dan might end up close to Sydney B & F. I am also tipping that Mummy will be his major competitor for that accolade. Kieran Jack and Nick Smith are looking like good things too.

Mummy's output was reasonably modest in the first few games of the year, and of course he's just missed two matches. So he'd be off the pace a bit at the moment in terms of actual points accumulated. If he plays more games like this weekend's he'll make up ground fast.

Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Hannebery is up there with the leaders, though he too has missed 2 games and has had a couple of quietish ones amongst a number of magnificent ones. Kennedy is another I think would be right up there at the moment, notwithstanding the view of the odd RWOer who thinks he should be out of the team.

dimelb
31st May 2010, 11:29 PM
... Kennedy is another I think would be right up there at the moment, notwithstanding the view of the odd RWOer who thinks he should be out of the team.
Very appropriately put. :D

aardvark
1st June 2010, 12:08 AM
Agree totally. Kennedy has been one of the true successes so far. Hope he is on a long contract too

mcs
1st June 2010, 12:34 AM
We have to sign him up. As I said in the match thread, he is a gun already, and will imo quickly develop into an elite midfielder of the competition. He was a class above everybody on the ground yesterday imo. Finds the footy, works hard, good tackler, runs hard, great kick (Both in general play and at goal) and knows how to back himself. Roosy & Longmire and the rest- sign him up now!! He is now my favourite player, just in front of Kieran Jack.

While this year probably (But its not yet if we can get everyone fit) going to be a lower 8/ write off, just how exciting is our future beginning to look!
-Hanners is a gun.
-Jack continues to improve every game, and really is an important player for us now.
-Kennedy has been very good since coming across to us- you have to remember he is still only 21
-Mumford imo will be one of the very best ruckman in the competition given a year or two to continue to develop.
-Jetta when he finally clicks will be fantastic, and has such electric pace. That first goal when it finally comes will take a load off his shoulders- no doubt it is playing on his mind at the moment.
-Rohan was great yesterday and already looks at home in the Big League. His courage is fantastic, he has a great grab on him, reliable kick and is good at getting the hard ball.
- All reports the other draft picks, especially Reid are doing very well in the 2nds.
-Then there is also Bird, who imo is a natural successor to Bolton/Kirk and is going to be a fantastic player for us.
- White has all the potential in the world- he is a player imo that will click and become a super player once he has that first fantastic game for the 1sts. He has threatened at times.
- Grundy is a bit older at 24, but imo is rapidly becoming a first rate defender. Been a bit down the last few weeks, but imo that is because he's had a lot to deal with with a midfield that has been heavily beaten at the clearances in that time.

There in that bunch of players is a very strong spine of a potentially wonderful team. Some real class in our youngers players. Its funny- to me it was the younger blokes that really dragged us back into it yesterday rather than the older players like a Kirk/Bolton/Goodes that we are so accustomed to. Its almost like the baton is beginning to be passed on to the new generation.

No matter what happens this year, if we can hang onto our good young players, Hanners being the most important imo, than it won't be soon before we are right back up there. Even if this season turns to @@@@@@, which it is threatening to do so, I feel the future is very bright, and indeed red and white! :)

RogueSwan
1st June 2010, 10:31 AM
Agree totally. Kennedy has been one of the true successes so far. Hope he is on a long contract too

Wasn't it a three year contract, plus the obvious game time, that got him away from the Hawks?

ugg
1st June 2010, 11:20 AM
Does anyone remember the extra long time the Swans took at Hanners's pick (#30)? That probably meant that they were either really hot on Dayne Beams which Collingwood took at #29 or they had a player (s) fall through that they weren't expecting. How different could things have been if Hanners went to Collingwood (shudder) They also took their time on Campbell Heath at #61.

giant
1st June 2010, 12:41 PM
Does anyone remember the extra long time the Swans took at Hanners's pick (#30)? That probably meant that they were either really hot on Dayne Beams which Collingwood took at #29 or they had a player (s) fall through that they weren't expecting. How different could things have been if Hanners went to Collingwood (shudder) They also took their time on Campbell Heath at #61.

Well, Beams has been close to the Pies' best player this year, so other than the gaudy tats I'm sure we could've got used to him.

I like the comparison to Willo from Lucky Knickers - very apt indeed.

RogueSwan
1st June 2010, 12:43 PM
Luke Darcy also has Hanners as rising star favourite.

Luke's List: the real Rising Star (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95391/default.aspx)

rojo
1st June 2010, 03:36 PM
Both Hanners and Mummy got a place in the AFL.com team of the week. How good is that!

CJK
1st June 2010, 03:42 PM
New contract for the lad ASAP Ireland.

wearebloods
1st June 2010, 03:50 PM
New contract for the lad ASAP Ireland.A homely shire girl too

dimelb
1st June 2010, 04:38 PM
A homely shire girl too
Why not an attractive one?

chalbilto
1st June 2010, 05:17 PM
As long as it's not Lara Bingle or Lee Furlong.

Dunger
1st June 2010, 05:26 PM
As long as it's not Lara Bingle or Lee Furlong.

The 'No dickheads' rule applies to wags as well so they're well out of the picture!

royboy42
1st June 2010, 05:35 PM
The 'No dickheads' rule applies to wags as well so they're well out of the picture!

Steady..Lee is a lovely girl..and a married woman!

Big Al
1st June 2010, 06:49 PM
Steady..Lee is a lovely girl..and a married woman!

Looking at the size of hubby I reckon she's a lovely girl too.

Blood Fever
1st June 2010, 07:30 PM

You forget Micky O'Laughlin at 18!

Big Al
1st June 2010, 07:31 PM

Yep I thought Micky was hilarious at that age.

Plugger46
1st June 2010, 07:39 PM

I haven't forgotten anything. He was good but not this good.

liz
1st June 2010, 08:02 PM
I haven't forgotten anything. He was good but not this good.

Magic probably showed glimpses of brilliance at that age, rather than the maturity and allroundedness of Hanners. I suspect Shannon Grant was at a similar level to Hanners at the same age though.

waterfowl
1st June 2010, 08:05 PM
What's this about Burgoyne hitting Hannebury as he was being helped off the field by one of the trainers with a dislocated shoulder?

royboy42
1st June 2010, 08:09 PM
What's this about Burgoyne hitting Hannebury as he was being helped off the field by one of the trainers with a dislocated shoulder?

Got a source?

Plugger46
1st June 2010, 08:11 PM
Magic probably showed glimpses of brilliance at that age, rather than the maturity and allroundedness of Hanners. I suspect Shannon Grant was at a similar level to Hanners at the same age though.

Yeah, fair comparison.

waterfowl
1st June 2010, 08:17 PM
Got a source?

BF Hawthorn Board - Autopsy Thread

review Autopsy Thread - Round 10 - Hawthorn v Sydney Swans - Page 6 - BigFooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713218&page=6)

sharp9
1st June 2010, 08:28 PM
Does anyone remember the extra long time the Swans took at Hanners's pick (#30)? That probably meant that they were either really hot on Dayne Beams which Collingwood took at #29 or they had a player (s) fall through that they weren't expecting. How different could things have been if Hanners went to Collingwood (shudder) They also took their time on Campbell Heath at #61.I think the player they wanted was Nick Suban (or was that when we took an age to choose Meredith...on second thoughts that was the year we wanted Andy Otten)

The Goodes
1st June 2010, 09:14 PM
He's been regularly consistent since his debut.

Presents to the ball with a ton of smarts.

I think he'll be this year's Rising Star winner.

Matty10
2nd June 2010, 12:56 AM
I suspect Shannon Grant was at a similar level to Hanners at the same age though.

That's a very good call - hope he does not want to leave like Grant did though...

RogueSwan
2nd June 2010, 09:10 AM

Magic wore 19 not 18.

goswannie14
2nd June 2010, 09:48 AM
What's this about Burgoyne hitting Hannebury as he was being helped off the field by one of the trainers with a dislocated shoulder?They commented on that on ABC radio as it happened, they weren't impressed.

royboy42
2nd June 2010, 02:41 PM
BF Hawthorn Board - Autopsy Thread

review Autopsy Thread - Round 10 - Hawthorn v Sydney Swans - Page 6 - BigFooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713218&page=6)

Thanks mate..

alison.z
2nd June 2010, 03:03 PM
Hannebery's dislocated shoulder? I didn't see him reinjure it apart from when he pulled up sore after taking a mark - was it perhaps when Gary Rohan was coming off holding his shoulder which turned out to be an elbow problem?!

neilfws
2nd June 2010, 04:18 PM
Hannebery's dislocated shoulder? I didn't see him reinjure it apart from when he pulled up sore after taking a mark - was it perhaps when Gary Rohan was coming off holding his shoulder which turned out to be an elbow problem?!

I'm confused too. Didn't notice Hannebery come off or injure his shoulder, no mention of it anywhere else, nothing on the injury list. Maybe they do mean Rohan - he tried to land a heavy tackle near the end and appeared to hurt his arm in the process. And the Hawks were tripping and pushing him over all day - leading to at least 2 frees. Pretty pathetic behaviour, picking on new kids, if you ask me.

ugg
2nd June 2010, 04:24 PM
I think the player they wanted was Nick Suban (or was that when we took an age to choose Meredith...on second thoughts that was the year we wanted Andy Otten)
Suban was mentioned here on RWO, not sure how correct the rumours were. And you're right about Meredith/Otten but that was the previous year.

Nico
2nd June 2010, 10:59 PM

I have been spruiking this for 5 years. It is our big weakness. We have the wrong personnel at centre bounces. I can't see why Shaw doesn't play there. Fearless, quick reflexes and has pace. But while you have Kirk and Bolton still going round it appears loyalty gets the nod.

Nico
2nd June 2010, 11:06 PM
They commented on that on ABC radio as it happened, they weren't impressed.

Burgoyne has always been a dog. Remember Stephen Doyle?

sharp9
3rd June 2010, 08:46 AM
Hannebery hurt his shoulder landing after a mark...then kicked the goal....was that it?

Jesse Richards
3rd June 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm confused too. Didn't notice Hannebery come off or injure his shoulder, no mention of it anywhere else, nothing on the injury list. Maybe they do mean Rohan - he tried to land a heavy tackle near the end and appeared to hurt his arm in the process. And the Hawks were tripping and pushing him over all day - leading to at least 2 frees. Pretty pathetic behaviour, picking on new kids, if you ask me.
If Swans players did this, picking on the new kids, deliberately bumping into injured players in the hands of the trainers etc I would no longer follow the Swans. It was my impression that a few years back if a young Swans player was roughed up, Goodes would later get even - e.g. laying an extra heavy tackle or a ferocious but legal bump onto the offending player. This no longer seems to be happening and our new kids get monstered, including a surfeit of head high tackles on Rohan that go unpenalised.

Nich
3rd June 2010, 02:03 PM
If Swans players did this, picking on the new kids, deliberately bumping into injured players in the hands of the trainers etc I would no longer follow the Swans. It was my impression that a few years back if a young Swans player was roughed up, Goodes would later get even - e.g. laying an extra heavy tackle or a ferocious but legal bump onto the offending player. This no longer seems to be happening and our new kids get monstered, including a surfeit of head high tackles on Rohan that go unpenalised.

Too true. I hadn't noticed it but you're dead right. The older boys use to always come in for a square up. Interesting.

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd June 2010, 02:27 PM
Yep I thought Micky was hilarious at that age.

Hahaha

liz
5th June 2010, 10:57 AM
Nice article in the Age today about the work he's done to get where he is at the moment, plus some comment from his dad on the club's choice to debut him in the seniors last year while he was still at school.

Hard yards pay off for Sydney's Hannebery (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hard-yards-pay-off-for-sydneys-hannebery-20100604-xkr7.html)

dimelb
5th June 2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks for posting that, Liz. A nice article indeed, and not in the print edition. Will probably set Kirky'sSocks off again!

Triple B
5th June 2010, 11:42 AM
Will probably set Kirky'sSocks off again!

Shhh, don't mention the war. It's been nice and quiet the past 24hrs.

alison.z
5th June 2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting that, Liz. A nice article indeed, and not in the print edition. Will probably set Kirky'sSocks off again!

Found it in my smh!

Triple B
5th June 2010, 11:52 AM
Found it in my smh!

It was written by a Sydney based journo.

Also he is the resident SMH AFL and swimming writer, wierd combo...lol

dimelb
5th June 2010, 11:53 AM
It was written by a Sydney based journo.

Also he is the resident SMH AFL and swimming writer, wierd combo...lol
Not this weekend it isn't!

gossipcom
5th June 2010, 04:14 PM
Definitely like the line about being touted as a future leader. Damn right he is. :D

Matty10
6th June 2010, 12:48 PM
...I think I would probably start crying if we were unable to secure Hannebery for the long term at the Swans.

dimelb
6th June 2010, 06:21 PM
And another fine game from him today. Has great vision and works as hard without the ball as he does with it.

swansrule100
6th June 2010, 06:29 PM
bit quiet today, but still maximises his opportunities.

10 possies from hanneberry is as good for us as 20 from some others

ugg
6th June 2010, 06:41 PM
I would like to see him utilised in closer, but given we almost doubled Essendon's clearances today, it's hard to argue against the current setup.

Lucky Knickers
6th June 2010, 08:35 PM
I would like to see him utilised in closer
What do you mean Ugg? Do you want him contesting the clearance inside?

stellation
6th June 2010, 08:37 PM
10 possies from hanneberry is as good for us as 20 from some others
And that was always good enough for Davo, so I'm sure there'll be no problems! ;)

ugg
6th June 2010, 08:50 PM
What do you mean Ugg? Do you want him contesting the clearance inside?

Yes LK. I think he has amazingly quick clean hands. Since the injury he has played more HFF Wing. Perhaps they're wary of stressing the shoulder out

Lucky Knickers
6th June 2010, 09:19 PM
Yes LK. I think he has amazingly quick clean hands. Since the injury he has played more HFF Wing. Perhaps they're wary of stressing the shoulder out
Cheers Ugg. I just want him to go wherever he likes. Future looks good: Mumford, Bird, Hanners, JPK, McVeigh, McGlynn, Smith and Meredith.