PDA

View Full Version : help,accom'n for collingwood game june 26

lwjoyner
8th June 2010, 02:40 PM
we (my wife and I plus daughter (adult) will be travelling from Melbourne (plane) for this game. Any suggestions for accomodation for the one night. Easily reached from airport and in easy access to stadium. Assume we can use membership tickets on trains for travel to/from wherever. Thanks for any advice.

Reggi
8th June 2010, 02:46 PM
There is an IbIS? Hotel opposite the ground that said I think CBD is best as train to Homebush isn't too long

laughingnome
8th June 2010, 03:27 PM
There is an IbIS? Hotel opposite the ground that said I think CBD is best as train to Homebush isn't too long

Depending on your budget there are the Novotel and Ibis (both Accor Hotels) at Olympic Park that are a walk to the ground or any number of hotels near Central Station in the City. Trains run from Central to Olympic park every 15 mins or so on Game Day. There's a Travelodge on York Street, Wynyard (train central/train homebush) that was nice enough, but I don't stay in the city too often.

Think Reggi and I are both suggesting City because it's one train from the Airport and one train to Olympic Park.

dimelb
8th June 2010, 03:38 PM
Mercure and Marque (used to be Country Comfort and perhaps slightly cheaper) are both on Railway Square across the road from Central. Stayed at each, happy with results.

Nich
8th June 2010, 03:42 PM
What's your budget? If you can give me an idea I'll give you some other suggestions as well : )

SwansFan1972
8th June 2010, 03:42 PM
Better off staying in city and catching train out to the ground.

The hotels in the Olympic park precinct (Novotel, Pullman, Ibis and horror of horrors the Formula 1) all charge overs when there is a reason to be there, and depending on how much time you have to sightsee/look around, there is bugger all else to do out there (unless you want to swim, play tennis or walk around the 'parklands' which were formerly swamplands).

For a quick visit, something near Central Station (Medina Executive Sydney Central Sydney Central Accommodation - Medina Executive Sydney Central (http://medina.com.au/medina-executive-sydney-central/hotel) for example) is close to the trains and chinatown for a good cheap meal. Catch the train from the airport to there and you wouldn't even need a cab in either direction.

Other apartment style hotels around there are fine too.

Have fun, and hope we win!

msb
8th June 2010, 05:33 PM
Save time, money and the pain of being at the game to most likely see collingwood beat us again and stay home!:)

jono2707
8th June 2010, 05:46 PM
It all depends on your budget - you could also try the Sebel in Albion St Surry Hills, which is a block from Central, or the Cambridge Hotel Riley St Surry Hills which is a few blocks further away.

The Travelodge in Phillip St City is well priced for the location - half a block from St James Station, which is on the airport line and only 2 stops from Central.

Just steer clear of the caravan parks on that weekend as they'll be overrun with Collingwood supporters...

aardvark
8th June 2010, 06:12 PM
Just steer clear of the caravan parks on that weekend as they'll be overrun with Collingwood supporters...[/QUOTE]

And the bus shelters and park benches......

Primmy
8th June 2010, 09:50 PM
I'd be running a check on the "last minute" cheapie accommodation online internet bookings (not sure which sites, but there are a number of them, just google, there will be all sorts of offers) which line up with some of the above recommendations. I would also suggest staying near central as you have easy access to railway,to and from airport, and easy rail access to Olympic Park (just follow the crowd) and back again in a mob of swans with more flexible and reliable return trip to the airport rather than attempting to stay at the Park. Its just tooooo remote for comfort for an overnight interstate visit when flying back next day. Ibis is ok, have stayed there. And your ticket to game provides free train trip to and from game.

Bas
8th June 2010, 10:39 PM
Save time, money and the pain of being at the game to most likely see collingwood beat us again and stay home!:)

I agree. Pick a different game. For the last five years I have been saying I will not go to another Swans v pies game. But at last minute change my mind in the hope of a miracle. Here's hoping for another miracle.

If you're just staying the one night, I'd just stay near the ground and suck up the atmosphere. That depends on the cost for you though. Enjoy your time.

goswannie14
8th June 2010, 11:06 PM
You're flying up, so the Formule 1 at the Airport is cheap clean and easy to get to/from. I stayed there when I went up for the Tattoo this year. The new rooms are really nice...and are well under $100.

Damien
9th June 2010, 12:07 AM
Not advertising a particular site, however the below page will give you an idea of what is near Central Station along with a price guide, I agree with everyone that staying at the Southern end of the CBD is the best option if you are spending the weekend in the city, because not only is Central the station that has express services to Olympic Park (Don't go to Homebush Station!!), it also means you can get around the city, walk down to Darling Harbour via China Town, monorail to Star City and catch trains down to Circular Quay where the Opera House/Bridge is, and from there you can get ferries anywhere you want to go including Manly and Taronga Zoo.

http://www.needitnow.com.au/Near_Central_Railway_Station_Sydney.html

(also if you want to stay anywhere else, yes, your ticket does get you around public transport to the game, you just may need to change trains at Central etc. Also, some of the Train stations near the Airport are private and require an entry or exit fee, even if you have a free train ticket, 131500 Transport Infoline - Home (www.131500.com.au) is a good site for transport planning if a particular area takes your fancy)

JF_Bay22_SCG
9th June 2010, 02:24 AM
I'd be running a check on the "last minute" cheapie accommodation online internet bookings (not sure which sites, but there are a number of them, just google, there will be all sorts of offers) which line up with some of the above recommendations. I would also suggest staying near central as you have easy access to railway,to and from airport, and easy rail access to Olympic Park (just follow the crowd) and back again in a mob of swans with more flexible and reliable return trip to the airport rather than attempting to stay at the Park. Its just tooooo remote for comfort for an overnight interstate visit when flying back next day. Ibis is ok, have stayed there. And your ticket to game provides free train trip to and from game.

But not from the airport though. You have to pay for the airport train to Central at least. Or if you have time, do what I do & catch the 400 bus to Rockdale & then the train to the city Homebush or wherever you want to go.

By the way, I stayed in the Sydney Central YHA last weekend (as my old house in Newtown wasn't available) & found it excellent in terms of facilities & location. If you don't mind the family staying in (surprisingly comfy) bunk beds, it is a great place to stay with a nice atmosphere & cheap good food in the cafe downstairs as well as the Asian place across the road near the Coach Terminal.

JF

lwjoyner
9th June 2010, 02:25 PM
thanks to every one for their advice. Another question
as our vic m/ship gets accesss as general admission can any one tell us where the seats are likely to be? and can we use our m/ship tickets for the train.

Damien
9th June 2010, 02:27 PM
as our vic m/ship gets accesss as general admission can any one tell us where the seats are likely to be? and can we use our m/ship tickets for the train.

Check out Ticketek, but I know a Vic Member friend sat in the Red Zone last year, which is next to the Cheer Squad on the Acer Arena side of the ground.

Yeah you can use your membership, basically anyone wearing Red and White gets let into Central without too much checking anyway.

hot potato
9th June 2010, 04:48 PM
Good accomodation at THE LORD NELSON HOTEL in THE ROCKS, close to ROCKS MARKET, walk around Vivid Festival, Light Show etc

hp

Reggi
9th June 2010, 04:57 PM

AFL Membership does, with club support