PDA

View Full Version : LJ ready for senior selection.

ScottH
10th June 2010, 09:05 AM
almost!!

?He?s probably got senior selection within his sights now,? Maxfield told afl.com.au.

?What he needs to do is probably string three or four solid games together at reserves level.

?It?s really about consistency for Lewis, and then hopefully forcing his way into the senior side.?

Young Swan Johnston ready to show his wares - AFL.com.au (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/95966/default.aspx)

RogueSwan
10th June 2010, 09:35 AM
Johnston, who is contracted with the Swans until the end of 2011, took some time adjusting to the training standards required at an AFL club but as he has lifted his workrate through the week, his results are starting to show.

I found this part the most interesting. Its must be the 'Davis rule'. You have to try hard both on and of the field to be a chance of selection.:)

Brettb
10th June 2010, 09:35 AM
I myself can't wait for his debut.

Surely he could contribute as much now (if not more) as Playfair, and the potential upside of a KPP who is 19yo developing in the seniors would be exciting to watch.

Bring it on I say, much sooner than later!

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 09:38 AM

Surely he could contribute as much now (if not more) as Playfair, and the potential upside of a KPP who is 19yo developing in the seniors would be exciting to watch.

Totally agree! Spot on and I tried to start a similar thread to this! Wake up selectors! Playfair offers us nothing. I bet LJ kicks more goals than Playfair in his first match!

stellation
10th June 2010, 09:41 AM
I would love to see a sneaky selection for the trip to Adelaide... even if it's just to name his as an emergency so his name is in the record and folks in SA go "gosh, he's close!" as a nice little pat on the back for putting in the hard yards.

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 09:47 AM
If he got a spot against Pt Adelaide down at Westlakes,I could see him exploding in his first game on familiar territory with the 90% of South Australians who hate the Power cheering him on!

Peace
10th June 2010, 09:48 AM
playfair offers us plenty and will continue to for those who actually want to see it.

LJ is still a long term project but will be exciting if he stays injury free.

stellation
10th June 2010, 10:10 AM
Just as an aside, this came up as a query from Goody Stella when she spotted Maxfield doing his gameday duties as a runner; does anyone else think that his title as "Player Development Manager" as opposed to being an Assistant Coach comes partly down to not being able to have Coaching staff as runners? When Mummy came off at one point Maxy certainly was pumping him up a hell of a lot, and giving him further advice than I imagine he'd been asked to pass on.

Melbournehammer
10th June 2010, 10:42 AM
playfair offers us plenty and will continue to for those who actually want to see it.

I'm with you on this. He mightn't be the bees knees but he can do a job in the absence of bradshaw.

ugg
10th June 2010, 10:43 AM
Just as an aside, this came up as a query from Goody Stella when she spotted Maxfield doing his gameday duties as a runner; does anyone else think that his title as "Player Development Manager" as opposed to being an Assistant Coach comes partly down to not being able to have Coaching staff as runners? When Mummy came off at one point Maxy certainly was pumping him up a hell of a lot, and giving him further advice than I imagine he'd been asked to pass on.
Spot on.

Maxfield's Free kick count: 2?

dimelb
10th June 2010, 11:11 AM
I want to see him on the field, and perhaps an opponent like Port would be a good way to go.
On the other hand I do think Playfair is both structurally important and gives continuity and stability at present. Maybe save Lewis II for the Richmond game, after we play Collingwood.

DST
10th June 2010, 11:14 AM

Or we could bring him in early like Jack Watts and put his development back 18 months!

You don't develop players by giving them senior foobtall. They need to bbe ready and earn their spots and I trust the coaching staff to know when they think a player is ready for senior football.

DST

stellation
10th June 2010, 11:19 AM
Spot on.

Ahhh, I did think it was rather astute of her. I hadn't even thought of that.

Jewels
10th June 2010, 11:52 AM

This is the big issue. He's been hampered by injury since he got here and now that he's finally injury free, we want to rush him into seniors!
Doesn't make sense to me.

Or we could bring him in early like Jack Watts and put his development back 18 months!

You don't develop players by giving them senior foobtall. They need to bbe ready and earn their spots and I trust the coaching staff to know when they think a player is ready for senior football.

DST

Yep!

aardvark
10th June 2010, 11:53 AM

You don't develop players by giving them senior football. They need to bbe ready and earn their spots and I trust the coaching staff to know when they think a player is ready for senior football.

DST

I dont disagree with you but Watts is a poor example. He is just as useless now as he was 18 mths ago. Time "developing" in the ressies hasn't helped him at all. Some kids come on quicker playing seniors straight off,even KP players and now LJ is fit he may be one of them. Time to try i think.

ShockOfHair
10th June 2010, 11:55 AM
So this weekend its Roos, Horse and Maxfield vs Choco, Laidley and Hocking.

Back to topic: I can't wait to see LJ either. The club website ran a story on him a month ago with him acknowledging he had to knuckle down at training, so it looks like he's doing that.

But if he's ready, and Bradshaw is fit, who does he replace?

RogueSwan
10th June 2010, 12:13 PM
But if he's ready, and Bradshaw is fit, who does he replace?

Goodes??
Put him back on the ball?
But then you don't want to drop any of our mids do we? Kirk, B1, McV, Hanners, Kennedy, Bird, Jack,Pebbles????
Tricky one, can he and Goodes both work the CHF? But then that would give us 4 tall in Bradshaw, White, Goodes and LJ.
Obviously I don't have an answer:)

aardvark
10th June 2010, 12:30 PM
I know Braddy cost us nothing but in hindsight he has cost us the opportunity do develop a young forward and set Jesse back a fair bit in his development. I can't see him playing past this year with his knees the way they are.

Big Al
10th June 2010, 12:38 PM
Totally agree! Spot on and I tried to start a similar thread to this! Wake up selectors! Playfair offers us nothing. I bet LJ kicks more goals than Playfair in his first match!

Yeah why not. Playfair offers us nothing so let's a bring in a kid that might not be ready for a senior game. That's never gone wrong in the past has it.

JudesaGun
10th June 2010, 12:51 PM
Would love to see him get a call up this week... why wait??!!

jono2707
10th June 2010, 01:03 PM
I think Playfair has done ok for us in the games he's played this year. Just ok, but then he was always in the squad for depth, with the plan being to throw him in if we had a need for an experienced hand in the forward line. I haven't had great expectations from him but I think he has played his role pretty well considering he's never going to be a matchwinner.

Goodsey aside, it looks like the team structure up forward has been planned around two talls, with the coaching staff seeking a mix of class and experience (Bradshaw) and youth and potential (Jesse). Bradshaw goes out so Henry comes in - I assume the coaching staff wanted a somewhat experienced older hand in with the still developing Jesse. My take on it would be that if Jesse goes down then perhaps LJ might get a run, but I can't see the current structure allowing LJ and Jesse as the two talls up forward.

So by my thinking LJ might get a run at some stage this year but only by replacing Jesse (be it through injury or form). Long-term (ie beyond 2010) it would be great to see both Jesse and LJ develop nicely but I don't think we'll see them together in the team anytime soon.

Brettb
10th June 2010, 01:10 PM
It may have gone wrong in the past, but it has certainly gone right too on many occasions.

For every Jack Watts, there is a Michael Hurley or Matthew Kreuzer who it worked a dream for. In fact a better example might be Justin Westhoff, who exceled in his first year, as a skinny kid.

Jack Watts has rarely exceled at reserve level, so I don't think he is a great example (as others have stated)

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 01:18 PM
The swans are notorious for holding kids back, where as other clubs just throw them straight into senior footy, and for the most part it works. This year has been a little different however with Rohan, Jets and Heath all making debuts ( and Hanners last year). While i understand it's deifferent for a KPP, know ones expecting him to come in and play CHF. Why not let him roam around a forward flank ? There is no evidence to suggest a young player will come on faster in the reserves than in the seniors. You could fairly argue that the opposite is true. Particularly with the reserves comp the swans play in. It's a massive step up to AFL level and the only way to get used to that is by being exposed to it

Vonsteinman
10th June 2010, 01:31 PM
Thankfully the coaches and selectors take a little more into account than just saying, "Well, why not??"

Jewels
10th June 2010, 01:39 PM
Thankfully the coaches and selectors take a little more into account than just saying, "Well, why not??"

Some sanity at last.......

jono2707
10th June 2010, 01:41 PM
Particularly with the reserves comp the swans play in. It's a massive step up to AFL level and the only way to get used to that is by being exposed to it

The sooner we get into a decent reserves comp the better - our young-uns should be playing in the VFL or an equivalent to get them exposed to a decent level of footy...

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 01:43 PM
It may have gone wrong in the past, but it has certainly gone right too on many occasions.

For every Jack Watts, there is a Michael Hurley or Matthew Kreuzer who it worked a dream for. In fact a better example might be Justin Westhoff, who exceled in his first year, as a skinny kid.

Jack Watts has rarely exceled at reserve level, so I don't think he is a great example (as others have stated)

My sentiments too.Good post and good answer to the conservatives who are happy with Playfair in a key goal kicking position keeping a promising kid out,despite the fact he doesn't kick goals and nobody is crumbing his inept attempts to mark. We beat Essendon despite his efforts not because of them. An enthusiastic kid is exactly what we need there and how could he do worse? The ball comes straight back from the FF position every time.,no goals are kicked from the set play of the FF, lead ,mark and kick, few goals are crumbed. Those who say Playfair is doing a job ,what exactly is the job he is doing?
LJ..its time!!!!!! TDL as well ,we need a straight kicking support in the FP.

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe they take too much into account ? They can't know what will happen when he steps out onto the field.

If his form and fitness warrants selection he should be selected. I don't know if it has yet, but i hope when it does there won't be any hesitation in kicking Playfair back to the two's and bringing in LJ.

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 01:47 PM
The sooner we get into a decent reserves comp the better - our young-uns should be playing in the VFL or an equivalent to get them exposed to a decent level of footy...
Here Here!

royboy42
10th June 2010, 02:00 PM
I might be just hanging onto the thread by a thread, but I noticed that Dipper played 99 in the ressies before they thought he was good enough. Didn't seem to hurt his senior career much!
And the swans DID say LJ needs 3 or so good perfs in the 2s. Hardly knocking on the door!

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 02:24 PM
Here Here!

TDL played in the WAFL last year,a much superior competition to the Canberra League,kicked 60 + goals . For some reason that I don't understand, some posters here seem to think he has to prove himself in the Canberra League before he gets selected in the Seniors. Why? Its a pretty crap standard and he has already proven himself in a much better League! The point is however,playing in a better League has not helped him gain selection.

Big Al
10th June 2010, 02:38 PM
TDL played in the WAFL last year,a much superior competition to the Canberra League,kicked 60 + goals . For some reason that I don't understand, some posters here seem to think he has to prove himself in the Canberra League before he gets selected in the Seniors. Why? Its a pretty crap standard and he has already proven himself in a much better League! The point is however,playing in a better League has not helped him gain selection.

I find it amazing that people think that all one has to get selected is to play well in the magoos. Sure that's part of it but there is so much more that has to be considered. Is the player mentally ready for the step up to Senior footbal? This would incorporate everything from confidence levels to general attitude. Is the player physically ready? Is he carrying an injury?. Once those factors are looked at you have to look at the balance of the side and who your playing.

The only people to know these things are the coaching staff and while I would love to see LJ and TDL play in the seniors I trust the coaching staff to know when they are ready to play. I would hate for them to play when not ready and have their developement put back.

liz
10th June 2010, 02:50 PM
I find it amazing that people think that all one has to get selected is to play well in the magoos. Sure that's part of it but there is so much more that has to be considered. Is the player mentally ready for the step up to Senior football which incorporates everything from confidence levels to general attitude. Is the player physically ready, is he carrying an injury. Once those factors are looked at you have to look at the balance of the side and who your playing.

The only people to know these things are the coaching staff and while I would love to see LJ and TDL play in the seniors but I trust the coaching staff to know when they are ready to play. I would hate for them to play when not ready and have their developement put back.

Not to mention "whose spot in the current team are they going to take?"

ernie koala
10th June 2010, 03:01 PM
Not to mention "whose spot in the current team are they going to take?"

I do in general terms agree with what Big Al posted here..But on the question you pose Liz...
I'll have a crack..............Playfair and Bevo

caj23
10th June 2010, 03:09 PM

That's taking a very short term view. It will be interesting to see how Kruezer (in particular) and Hurley's bodies are holding up later in their career. Josh Fraser is a prime example of a big bloke playing seniors too early, his body is shot at the ripe old age of 28

caj23
10th June 2010, 03:12 PM

TDL missed a chunk of football earlier in the season, had he not injured himself at an inopportune time he might have made his debut by now.

I dont understand what all of this wrist slitting is about, LJ, TDL will get their debut in due course

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 03:17 PM
I find it amazing that people think that all one has to get selected is to play well in the magoos. Sure that's part of it but there is so much more that has to be considered. Is the player mentally ready for the step up to Senior footbal? This would incorporate everything from confidence levels to general attitude. Is the player physically ready? Is he carrying an injury?. Once those factors are looked at you have to look at the balance of the side and who your playing.

The only people to know these things are the coaching staff and while I would love to see LJ and TDL play in the seniors I trust the coaching staff to know when they are ready to play. I would hate for them to play when not ready and have their developement put back.

So if we take your position and just "trust the coaching staff to know when they are ready to play" there is no point having this thread or this conversation or any other chat about selection. Coaches know best! Thats it!
Unfortunately,I have been around enough clubs to know you are SO WRONG about this! Favouritism,nepotism, cronyism all flourish in a football club and I am sure the Swans are no exception. Some players are disliked ,some are sycophants, some don't get on with the leadership group.There are many many more reasons than your simplistic one and although your perfect world would be a nice one to live in,it doesn't exist.

Peace
10th June 2010, 03:18 PM
TDL should get a game well before LJ does.

Peace
10th June 2010, 03:20 PM
So if we take your position and just "trust the coaching staff to know when they are ready to play" there is no point having this thread or this conversation or any other chat about selection. Coaches know best! Thats it!
Unfortunately,I have been around enough clubs to know you are SO WRONG about this! Favouritism,nepotism, cronyism all flourish in a football club and I am sure the Swans are no exception. Some players are disliked ,some are sycophants, some don't get on with the leadership group.There are many many more reasons than your simplistic one and although your perfect world would be a nice one to live in,it doesn't exist.

nice assumption there buddy.

the swans coahing and players group are definitely NOT like all the other clubs because of Paul Roos and Brett Kirk and hopefully it stays that way after they depart.

Big Al
10th June 2010, 03:31 PM

Funny how you term my view simplistic when all your basing on whether a player is ready or not is their form in a grade you even yourself say isn't very good. What a shame your world view is so skewed that every time a player you view to be ready doesn't play must be victim of what you list above.

Bloods05
10th June 2010, 03:38 PM
Here Here!

Where where?

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 03:39 PM
I dont really agree that these things exist in all clubs, but i do sometimes get the feeling the selection panel tend to favour our experienced campaigners, even if their form doesn't warrant it eg. Ted, Bevo, Playfair. This must be hard to swallow for the guys in the ressies putting in good performances conistently, watching these hacks get games because of their exploits in our glory days. Sometimes i think we are a little to loyal for own good.

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 03:41 PM
Preferably the VFL!

Big Al
10th June 2010, 03:50 PM
I dont really agree that these things exist in all clubs, but i do sometimes get the feeling the selection panel tend to favour our experienced campaigners, even if their form doesn't warrant it eg. Ted, Bevo, Playfair. This must be hard to swallow for the guys in the ressies putting in good performances conistently, watching these hacks get games because of their exploits in our glory days. Sometimes i think we are a little to loyal for own good.

Is that really happening though. Ted was dropped, Playfair won't last once we get Bradshaw back and Bevo was in and out the side last year. It comes down whether there is a player that is ready to step in and will they add more than the replacement. I have no drama with opiniions on selections(I would love to see Vez get a run) but we have to concede that we are basing all these opinions without the full picture.

Melbourne_Blood
10th June 2010, 03:55 PM
Is that really happening though. Ted was dropped, Playfair won't last once we get Bradshaw back and Bevo was in and out the side last year. It comes down whether there is a player that is ready to step in and will they add more than the replacement. I have no drama with opiniions on selections(I would love to see Vez get a run) but we have to concede that we are basing all these opinions without the full picture.

Probably not lol. But it just seems that way sometimes. Like you said we don't have the full picture so our scheming little minds have to full in the blanks somehow

Bloody Hell
10th June 2010, 04:13 PM
nice assumption there buddy.

the swans coahing and players group are definitely NOT like all the other clubs because of Paul Roos and Brett Kirk and hopefully it stays that way after they depart.

Where's that failed blood brothers thread...:D

CJK
10th June 2010, 04:13 PM
I dont understand what all of this wrist slitting is about

Look where we are.

Matty10
10th June 2010, 04:24 PM

I agree - and I also find it bizarre why so many people want to denigrate some of our players so much of the time (regardless of their performances, which to an impartial eye would warrant some level of reconsideration).

Well said Big Al.

Big Al
10th June 2010, 04:28 PM
Probably not lol. But it just seems that way sometimes. Like you said we don't have the full picture so our scheming little minds have to full in the blanks somehow

hehe.. that's very true.

Vonsteinman
10th June 2010, 04:45 PM

Please tell me that I've completely missed your point and in fact you are not implying that one of the above could be a reason that LJ is not in the senior side already!

Firstly, I should warn you H that taking the high ground based on growing up in and around AFL can raise the ire of some on here, because apparently that's an implication that you think others that haven't know nothing about footy and that their opinions aren't worth a pinch of @@@@!!! ;)

Now, if I may be so bold, I too have grown up in and around (Australian Rules) football and in my experience with every club that I have been involved in, getting a potential young superstar into the senior team is something greatly anticipated by pretty much everyone in the club. It is, however, extremely important that those charged with making the call are able to avoid getting carried away by the hype about potential stars and making sure they are developed in the right way and giving them the opportunity when they are ready.

LJ was sidelined for the best part of a year through injury and so it is hardly surprising that the selectors would take a gentle approach to his development. Putting him in a little late might be frustrating for the player and some supporters, putting him in too early could prove devastating.

That said, being from a long way away, I am v jealous of those who are getting to watch him run around in the twos and can't wait to see him get a run...

Primmy
10th June 2010, 04:55 PM
The Hair Bear is a gem of a player, but he missed ALL of last year, and some of the preseason. He had the ressie watchers on their toes and feeling good earlier this year, but we have to acknowledge that he has been behind in match conditioning. Now if he gets a gig soon, good. that means the coaches feel he is ready. If he doesn't get a gig THIS year, well and good too. It only means that he is not ready yet. He is going to be a very good player, no doubt about it. He does not appear to lack self confidence, he sure as blazes doesn't lack ability, and he has not levelled out in improvement, he has been getting better and better.. Its whether or not he would play out the game at AFL level at this stage. Its just a matter of time, and his ability to force his way in.......my instincts tell me this is one bloke who does need to fight for the right.

BSA5
10th June 2010, 05:24 PM
LJ missed all of last year, has had to deal with massive (intentional) fluctuations in weight, is currently too skinny to play in a key position at AFL level (those suggesting he is a like-for-like replacement for Playfair are off the money, he wouldn't be nearly as strong as Playfair at the moment), is probably still a bit behind in terms of aerobic fitness, and going by the latest photo on the Swans website, has recently cut his hair, massively dampening his mojo.

As it stands, LJ will be selected as a flanker, meaning he'll have to knock somebody out of that position, he'll have to prove he's fit enough to play out a game there, he'll have to perform consistently, and he'll have to add at least 3 cm to his current head of hair to justify his selection.

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 05:32 PM
Please tell me that I've completely missed your point and in fact you are not implying that one of the above could be a reason that LJ is not in the senior side already!

Firstly, I should warn you H that taking the high ground based on growing up in and around AFL can raise the ire of some on here, because apparently that's an implication that you think others that haven't know nothing about footy and that their opinions aren't worth a pinch of @@@@!!! ;)

Now, if I may be so bold, I too have grown up in and around (Australian Rules) football and in my experience with every club that I have been involved in, getting a potential young superstar into the senior team is something greatly anticipated by pretty much everyone in the club. It is, however, extremely important that those charged with making the call are able to avoid getting carried away by the hype about potential stars and making sure they are developed in the right way and giving them the opportunity when they are ready.

LJ was sidelined for the best part of a year through injury and so it is hardly surprising that the selectors would take a gentle approach to his development. Putting him in a little late might be frustrating for the player and some supporters, putting him in too early could prove devastating.

That said, being from a long way away, I am v jealous of those who are getting to watch him run around in the twos and can't wait to see him get a run...

Thank you for restoring my faith in Football coaches! I know now that LJ will be given an opportunity when he is ready and if he is not given an opportunity,its because he is obviously Not ready! Hard to argue with that logic or lack of it! No point me giving an opinion because I should trust the coaches,who are all impeccable people not subject to normal human frailities. The fact that none of the football coaches I know are like that i should keep quiet about because it implies that people who don't know coaches might think i am saying they don't know..??? Guess there is nothing to do but wait for the Coaches to decide while also waiting for the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny to come. :-) They are obviously real too .

Vonsteinman
10th June 2010, 06:53 PM
Thank you for restoring my faith in Football coaches! I know now that LJ will be given an opportunity when he is ready and if he is not given an opportunity,its because he is obviously Not ready! Hard to argue with that logic or lack of it! No point me giving an opinion because I should trust the coaches,who are all impeccable people not subject to normal human frailities. The fact that none of the football coaches I know are like that i should keep quiet about because it implies that people who don't know coaches might think i am saying they don't know..??? Guess there is nothing to do but wait for the Coaches to decide while also waiting for the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny to come. :-) They are obviously real too .

Well I have to say that, if in your experience "none" of the football coaches are "like that", then you've had a godawful run with football coaches. I genuinely think it's sad that you've never come across a football coach who cares about nurturing talent and that they are all playing favourites, practising nepotism (btw, this has come up before... who exactly in the 22 is related to one of the coaching staff? Not saying its not the case, just haven't heard that there are any family ties between playing group and coaches) or looking after old mates.

At no stage have I called for you to keep quiet, I tend to agree with a number of your views expressed on this forum. I'm simply presenting an alternative opinion and if you're referring to my second paragraph, there was a wink at the end of that, which was meant to imply that that was a joke. It was in reference to some other unrelated dialogue on the forum and I regret the fact that you didn't appear to get that.

Hartijon
10th June 2010, 07:16 PM
Well I have to say that, if in your experience "none" of the football coaches are "like that", then you've had a godawful run with football coaches. I genuinely think it's sad that you've never come across a football coach who cares about nurturing talent and that they are all playing favourites, practising nepotism (btw, this has come up before... who exactly in the 22 is related to one of the coaching staff? Not saying its not the case, just haven't heard that there are any family ties between playing group and coaches) or looking after old mates.

At no stage have I called for you to keep quiet, I tend to agree with a number of your views expressed on this forum. I'm simply presenting an alternative opinion and if you're referring to my second paragraph, there was a wink at the end of that, which was meant to imply that that was a joke. It was in reference to some other unrelated dialogue on the forum and I regret the fact that you didn't appear to get that.

He he,I missed that! No problems mate,my tongue is in my cheek a lot also coz its a lot of fun to get real serious over an issue that really doesn't warrant strong emotion! I find it very relaxing! My footy coaches were pretty strongly opiniated guys. I played country football so many were "player coaches " and they were by far the best coz they were out there with you. Roosey has to coach from the sidelines to replicate the feel of the game.Don't know who is related in the Swans team but one of my coaches had twin boys who always played even though one was hopeless.It split the club!
I truly doubt much favouritism goes on at the Swans but reckon it does at other clubs.The Club we are playing this weekend has a huge reputation for favouring certain players and I met an ex-player who left for precisely that reason. Real or perceived??I don't know but surely we can talk about it? Coaches are human and have their pet likes and dislikes whether a player is deemed ready or not.Thats all I am saying.

BSA5
10th June 2010, 07:44 PM

Questioning things is fine, but only when there's a genuine reason to question. For example, I question Matthew O'Dwyer's treatment by the selectors. Vespa's situation is up for some debate. The reasons these guys aren't getting games may be fully genuine, but they're not obvious. However, it is quite obvious to me why LJ might not be getting names. He hasn't been absolutely bashing the door down at ressies level (despite being more than handy), he's underweight for a KPP, he's coming off a year-long layoff, and he isn't an obvious replacement for anybody who is underperforming (again, he wouldn't be coming in to play a key position, so while he could still replace Playfair, it wouldn't be like-for-like).

ShockOfHair
10th June 2010, 10:12 PM
Fair comparison with MOD and Vez.

Not much mystery about Johnston. He has a young body and has played just a dozen seconds games. Becoming a KPP takes time - look at Jesse.

A bit of a mystery over MOD, who wasn't great but was too bad either. I think he's just unlucky - a bit like Bevan in often being the 23rd man. This is his do or die year so you'd hope the club gives him at least one more chance.

Vez has been injured but Roos has flagged him up for promotion so looks like he's in with a chance later this year. It does seem to have taken awhile t hough.

rojo
11th June 2010, 04:02 PM
This is a very amusing thread to wade through so thank you Scott for starting it. Ever since LJ started playing in the Ressies this year I have been eager to hear details of how he has been coming along and apart from the one afl article there have only been snippets. So now I am happy. I was thinking that he might be the kind of player who would rise to the challenge if he was tossed in at the deep end, now, maybe motivate him to work harder on the track, but after reading through all the pros and cons have decided to go with the cons - his injury history
being a good reason to proceed with extreme caution. Makes you realise what a responsibility those in charge have in trying to make the right decisions for the short term/long term, team/individual good.

giant
11th June 2010, 04:27 PM
LJ missed all of last year, has had to deal with massive (intentional) fluctuations in weight, is currently too skinny to play in a key position at AFL level (those suggesting he is a like-for-like replacement for Playfair are off the money, he wouldn't be nearly as strong as Playfair at the moment), is probably still a bit behind in terms of aerobic fitness, and going by the latest photo on the Swans website, has recently cut his hair, massively dampening his mojo.

As it stands, LJ will be selected as a flanker, meaning he'll have to knock somebody out of that position, he'll have to prove he's fit enough to play out a game there, he'll have to perform consistently, and he'll have to add at least 3 cm to his current head of hair to justify his selection.

:D Nice work - the knockout punch.

Hartijon
11th June 2010, 06:05 PM
"and he'll have to add at least 3 cm to his current head of hair to justify his selection"

You missed out the other criteria for selection.
1.No more smells on the team bus
2. Stop talking to Roosey's missus all the time
3. No more falling asleep in team meetings (or learn to sleep with eyes open)
4.Stop sitting in Kirk's chair
5. Pretend to be interested in Buddhism
6. Show incredible interest in boring training dills (discard the ipod at training!)
7. consider a Jesse White tatoo

Hartijon
14th June 2010, 01:56 PM

Oh Dear!
SWANS Reserves coach Daniel McPherson is confident in-form forwards Lewis Johnston and Trent Dennis-Lane are ready for AFL football after the pair led Sydney to a comfortable win over Eastlake yesterday.
Johnston booted five majors and Dennis-Lane four in the 14.12 (96) to 8.13 (61) triumph, with both players exuding plenty of class as Sydney extended its lead atop the AFL Canberra ladder.

Obviously Mac Pherson A COACH (bow, scrape, you unworthy!) didn't read your post . Now a COACH has endorsed these two a full 7 days after this thread maybe we can start to look for sensible reasons why they can play,not why they can't . Please no more rubbish about too skinny,injured all last year etc.
The COACH says he is ready to go! Get behind the lad!!!!

Bas
14th June 2010, 02:12 PM
AFL Record Season Guide for 2010 says LJ is 191cm and 93kg.

Plugger (who broke arm recently trail riding on a motor bike) was the same height but about 17kg heavier (110kg) during the bulk of his time at the Swans. How quickly we forget.

I've watched him in the ressies and I would like both to debut against the mugpies.

Hartijon
14th June 2010, 02:17 PM
AFL Record Season Guide for 2010 says LJ is 191cm and 93kg.

Plugger (who broke arm recently trail riding on a motor bike) was the same height but about 17kg heavier (110kg) during the bulk of his time at the Swans. How quickly we forget.

I've watched him in the ressies and I would like both to debut against the mugpies.

That would be incredibly exciting Bas !

aardvark
14th June 2010, 02:44 PM
That would be incredibly exciting Bas !

Hmmm.... some forwards who know how to kick goals...well there's a novel idea...I like it !!

aardvark
14th June 2010, 02:49 PM
How about..

FF. Vez Braddy TDL
HF.Rohan Johnston McGlynn

and goodsy in the midfield........and white in the ressies....could be interesting

Bas
14th June 2010, 03:33 PM
How about..

FF. Vez Braddy TDL

and goodsy in the midfield........and white in the ressies....could be interesting

I would still like Jesse to play as it might be asking abit too much for LJ to play CHF at this stage. I'd have White with Mummy in the ruck. Pyke to sit next game out. I wish Pyke would kick more as he isn't a bad kick.

We need to do something completely different with the team because the Mugpies have our measure when we do the same thing over and over again.

I don't think Braddy will be right for the next game as there hasn't been enough time. What about White at FF and TDL and LJ in each pocket.

We will need midfield delivery though and with McGlynn and Kennedy there now it hhas made significant differences to the team from previous years.

Just watching mugpies out muscle the young demons.

BSA5
14th June 2010, 03:36 PM
Oh Dear!
SWANS Reserves coach Daniel McPherson is confident in-form forwards Lewis Johnston and Trent Dennis-Lane are ready for AFL football after the pair led Sydney to a comfortable win over Eastlake yesterday.
Johnston booted five majors and Dennis-Lane four in the 14.12 (96) to 8.13 (61) triumph, with both players exuding plenty of class as Sydney extended its lead atop the AFL Canberra ladder.

Obviously Mac Pherson A COACH (bow, scrape, you unworthy!) didn't read your post . Now a COACH has endorsed these two a full 7 days after this thread maybe we can start to look for sensible reasons why they can play,not why they can't . Please no more rubbish about too skinny,injured all last year etc.
The COACH says he is ready to go! Get behind the lad!!!!

Where did I say he wasn't capable of playing senior footy? All I said is that he wouldn't be played as a genuine KPF, he'd play on a HFF, so calling him a direct replacement for Playfair is somewhat off-track, and that he's not first in line for that sort of position.

I have little doubt Johnston could come into the side, get a few touches, do a few good things, maybe even kick a goal or two. But we already have players who can do that and more. It's great hearing he's ready to play senior footy, but he still has to force his way in, ahead of blokes like Moore, Meredith, Heath (who is also ready for senior footy remember, and even got some games when injuries struck and acquitted himself reasonably), O'Dwyer, Richards, etc, all of whom could line up/push somebody else to the HFF. Not to mention Shaw and Bradshaw, who are nowhere near like-for-like but again create pressure around the ground and could move other players to the HFF.

Even though he might be ready to play senior footy, there are plenty of people who are more ready.

aardvark
14th June 2010, 04:54 PM
Where did I say he wasn't capable of playing senior footy? All I said is that he wouldn't be played as a genuine KPF, he'd play on a HFF, so calling him a direct replacement for Playfair is somewhat off-track, and that he's not first in line for that sort of position.

I have little doubt Johnston could come into the side, get a few touches, do a few good things, maybe even kick a goal or two. But we already have players who can do that and more. It's great hearing he's ready to play senior footy, but he still has to force his way in, ahead of blokes like Moore, Meredith, Heath (who is also ready for senior footy remember, and even got some games when injuries struck and acquitted himself reasonably), O'Dwyer, Richards, etc, all of whom could line up/push somebody else to the HFF. Not to mention Shaw and Bradshaw, who are nowhere near like-for-like but again create pressure around the ground and could move other players to the HFF.
Even though he might be ready to play senior footy, there are plenty of people who are more ready.

LJ is the only legitimate KP forward pushing for selection. We already have too many part timers in the forward line. We need legitimate forwards and none of the players you mentioned fit the bill.

aardvark
14th June 2010, 04:59 PM
I would still like Jesse to play as it might be asking abit too much for LJ to play CHF at this stage. I'd have White with Mummy in the ruck. Pyke to sit next game out. I wish Pyke would kick more as he isn't a bad kick.

We need to do something completely different with the team because the Mugpies have our measure when we do the same thing over and over again.

I don't think Braddy will be right for the next game as there hasn't been enough time. What about White at FF and TDL and LJ in each pocket.

We will need midfield delivery though and with McGlynn and Kennedy there now it hhas made significant differences to the team from previous years.

Just watching mugpies out muscle the young demons.

Yep I'm still not convinced about white but i'm always gunna lose that one. We just need some specialist forwards.

Dees are doin ok now.

DST
14th June 2010, 05:17 PM
Yep I'm still not convinced about white but i'm always gunna lose that one. We just need some specialist forwards.

Dees are doin ok now.

Magpies struggling with the Dees pace and their preference to use the corridor.

It's a dangerous ploy as you need to have very good decision making and foot skills, but a key to taking on the Pies will be to get them to turn over the ball and then go back through the corridor as the Pies tend to play wide and set-up that way.

One thing is for sure, when we play the Dees I would be playing 18 blokes in the centre square and just get them to aggressively guard the space down the corridor.

DST

Hartijon
14th June 2010, 05:21 PM

Dees are doin ok now.

One has only to look at the destruction to Frematle caused by one skilled forward in Milne to realise how right you are. I also agree that LJ at his size and weight is the only one pushing for KPP forward. Its a hard one how to fit him in but injuries might help. If it came down to Jesse or LJ I guess Jesse would keep getting the nod unless he played consistently bad.

BSA5
14th June 2010, 06:07 PM
LJ is the only legitimate KP forward pushing for selection. We already have too many part timers in the forward line. We need legitimate forwards and none of the players you mentioned fit the bill.

But with his current physique and experience, he's not going to be a legitimate KP forward. He'll contribute, sure, but as a flanker, not a CHF or FF. He will develop into that role eventually, but he's not there yet.

Dees are doin ok now.

White is a legitimate forward. His marking is a bit off at the moment, and it has never been a major strength, but he's providing an option and crumbs from which we are scoring, and he's attracting and negating a key defender.

Personally, I wouldn't be totally opposed to developing White as a key defender eventually, as his hands might just not be quite good enough for key forward, but his kicking, bodywork, ability to read the ball and pace are fantastic. At the moment, though, he's doing a great job playing second fiddle to Goodesy, third fiddle to GoodeShaw. LJ certainly couldn't come in and do what White is doing, he just wouldn't have the physical presence and strength. He'd play a Robert Murphy role for the time being, but a far less experienced version.

Hartijon
14th June 2010, 06:28 PM
But with his current physique and experience, he's not going to be a legitimate KP forward. He'll contribute, sure, but as a flanker, not a CHF or FF. He will develop into that role eventually, but he's not there yet.

White is a legitimate forward. His marking is a bit off at the moment, and it has never been a major strength, but he's providing an option and crumbs from which we are scoring, and he's attracting and negating a key defender.

Personally, I wouldn't be totally opposed to developing White as a key defender eventually, as his hands might just not be quite good enough for key forward, but his kicking, bodywork, ability to read the ball and pace are fantastic. At the moment, though, he's doing a great job playing second fiddle to Goodesy, third fiddle to GoodeShaw. LJ certainly couldn't come in and do what White is doing, he just wouldn't have the physical presence and strength. He'd play a Robert Murphy role for the time being, but a far less experienced version.

I feel Whites hands ,particularly below his knees are not safe enough yet for the defender role.So much of the defenders role is picking up the ball from low positions and handballing or clearing. Fumbling in the backline can cost you. He is a work in progress in the forwards ( the jury is still out on him as a forward) and therefore as stated earlier,he should not be moved unless he needs a spell in the reserves. Have you checked LJ's stats? He is a pretty big item and a fast one too who can kick goals. To me,he shows great potential to be a KPP in the forward zone.

BSA5
14th June 2010, 06:35 PM
I feel Whites hands ,particularly below his knees are not safe enough yet for the defender role.So much of the defenders role is picking up the ball from low positions and handballing or clearing. Fumbling in the backline can cost you. He is a work in progress in the forwards ( the jury is still out on him as a forward) and therefore as stated earlier,he should not be moved unless he needs a spell in the reserves. Have you checked LJ's stats? He is a pretty big item and a fast one too who can kick goals. To me,he shows great potential to be a KPP in the forward zone.

I agree, I wouldn't be moving White any time soon, he's certainly shown enough to persist with up forward, but it's an option down the track if things don't quite go to plan.

LJ has heaps of potential to be a KPF, I'm not saying he'd play the Murphy role indefinitely, he's a future CHF. He just doesn't have the physical presence yet to play that role at senior level. It will come with another preseason, he showed tremendous ability to stack on muscle last year, but he's had to shed it all to take the load off his limbs. He WILL develop into a genuine power forward, but he isn't that player yet, so if he's selected, it will not be as a power forward.

Jesse Richards
14th June 2010, 06:43 PM
Having watched the Reserves in Canberra for the past 4 weeks in a row I am happy to relate that our nicknames for Lewis Johnston - initially Matchstick then Chicken Legs - may now no longer be appropriate. It appeared last Saturday that his legs and body are starting to fill out. Can't wait to see his debut in the firsts - a very exciting player, but he is still relatively light on.

TDL continues to impress as physically tough despite his leanness - he's taken some rough knocks lately and keeps on playing.

Jetta may find it hard to get back into the firsts - thrilled to see him up close - blistering speed - but those woeful disposals.... and still no goals.

Thornton's bigger body, mental toughness and ability may surprise quite a few when you next see him.

Hartijon
14th June 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for this! I only saw Thornton play once but he knows how to play and seems a very good decision maker and kick. With TDL I feel he doesn't have to prove himself as much as some of the other players because he kicked a lot of goals in the rough and tumble,yet fast WAFL.I think all of us await LJ...you never know do you if you have another potential Riewoldt or Plugger until you try them out.

Bloody Hell
15th June 2010, 05:16 AM
How about..

FF. White Bradshaw Ves

and goodsy in the midfield........N/A....could be interesting

Swap TDL and White and you've got a deal.

I'd like to see Meredith of a HFF as well. Can we invent a new position?

Bleed Red Blood
15th June 2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks for this! I only saw Thornton play once but he knows how to play and seems a very good decision maker and kick. With TDL I feel he doesn't have to prove himself as much as some of the other players because he kicked a lot of goals in the rough and tumble,yet fast WAFL.I think all of us await LJ...you never know do you if you have another potential Riewoldt or Plugger until you try them out.

It's funny cause Geelong fans called Hawkins "The next Plugger" when he was 18.. and then they "tried them (him) out" in the AFL and as everyone has seen, he isn't. (Yet?)