PDA

View Full Version : VEspremi in

Reggi
12th June 2010, 07:29 PM
Longmire on radio just now replaces Rhyce Shaw

ernie koala
12th June 2010, 07:32 PM
Longmire on radio just now replaces Rhyce Shaw

Shame to loose Shaw, he's been doing a great job of shutting down opponents....BUT..
Great to see Vespa get a run at last, I really hope he goes well. Be interesting to see what his role will be.

Matt79
12th June 2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry to lose Rhyce but great to see Vespa get his first gig for 2010! Go Pat!

PORT ADELAIDE v SYDNEY SWANS
Port Adelaide
B: Jacob Surjan, Alipate Carlile, Troy Chaplin
HB: Paul Stewart, Chad Cornes, Steven Salopek
C: Hamish Hartlett, Domenic Cassisi, Travis Boak
HF: Cameron Hitchcock, Jackson Trengove, Jason Davenport
F: Brett Ebert, Daniel Motlop, Tom Logan
Foll: Dean Brogan, Danyle Pearce, Kane Cornes
I/C: David Rodan, Matt Thomas, Jay Nash, Matthew Lobbe

Changes to the selected side
In: Matthew Lobbe
Out: Daniel Stewart

Sydney Swans
B: Paul Bevan, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Tadhg Kennelly
C: Nick Malceski, Brett Kirk, Gary Rohan
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes, Craig Bird
F: Ben McGlynn, Jesse White, Kieren Jack
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Daniel Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Mike Pyke, Pat Veszpremi

Changes to the selected side
In: Pat Veszpremi
Out: Rhyce Shaw

swansrob
12th June 2010, 07:34 PM
I'm feeling the same as everyone else - shame about about Shaw, but excellent news re: Vespa!

hammo
12th June 2010, 07:43 PM
Exciting news about Paddy. Hope he tears it up.

Triple B
12th June 2010, 07:49 PM
Full marks to the Swans coaching/selection team for not taking the conservative/easy backman for backman approach and going with Richards.

DeadlyAkkuret
12th June 2010, 07:51 PM
God help poor Vez if he has an average game, considering all the people here so desperate for him to finally get picked. Be realistic in your expectations.

ScottH
12th June 2010, 07:56 PM
An exciting in. Hope he plays well.

Matty10
12th June 2010, 08:06 PM
Really looking forward to watching him run around - go Vez!

Bloody Hell
12th June 2010, 08:16 PM
Boo-ya-shak-aa

Got to work the mojo for Meredith now.

Bloody Hell
12th June 2010, 08:22 PM
Was there a reason for the Shaw omission?

liz
12th June 2010, 08:27 PM
Full marks to the Swans coaching/selection team for not taking the conservative/easy backman for backman approach and going with Richards.

Port are a bit light on for talls. Even Reg and LRT might find themselves struggling for a suitable opponent at times so hard to imagine who Ted would play on.

erica
12th June 2010, 08:28 PM
Shaw has hip injury according to Swans on Facebook.

ugg
12th June 2010, 08:31 PM
Like for like changes

tadhg for shaw
vespa for jets
gopher for playfair

Chookbilly
12th June 2010, 08:34 PM
Woo hoo!

Bas
12th June 2010, 08:39 PM
Shaw has hip injury according to Swans on Facebook.

In Foxtel Pre-game show, Roos said that it was a combination of the knock to hip last week plus "he was sick during the week". MAN FLU strikes again!

DeadlyAkkuret
12th June 2010, 09:05 PM
We don't really need updates in this thread mate

Bas
12th June 2010, 09:14 PM
We don't really need updates in this thread mate

Just trying to help others that aren't as fortunate as you or I. But will drop updates then. Since when did we become mates?

monopoly19
12th June 2010, 11:36 PM
we don't really need updates in this thread mate

wtf?

liz
12th June 2010, 11:47 PM
Not a bad first outing for the year. Far from dominant but added a bit of class, played a team game (not always his forte) and looked to be moving far better than the last time I got to watch him (many many moons ago).

ugg
12th June 2010, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately he will hard pressed to keep his spot with the number of players to come back

aardvark
12th June 2010, 11:54 PM
Nice first game back. Tried hard and fitted in well.

Primmy
12th June 2010, 11:55 PM
Unfortunately he will hard pressed to keep his spot with the number of players to come back

Yeah. He did ok, more team awareness and whatever- seems to have at last sunk in. I hope he holds his spot, but am glad we have backup at last for the senior players.

swansrule100
13th June 2010, 12:59 AM
pushed up the ground, didnt play much as a forward like previously. Good first hit out. Must be hard to adjust to afl pace after a lengthy stint in our reserves.

Deserves to hold his spot.

DeadlyAkkuret
13th June 2010, 01:38 AM
Just trying to help others that aren't as fortunate as you or I. But will drop updates then. Since when did we become mates?

My mistake, I forgot that this was the gameday thread?

.... :confused:

DeadlyAkkuret
13th June 2010, 01:39 AM
wtf?

Again, there was a thread dedicated to the match tonight. Why not post updates there?

giant
13th June 2010, 01:57 AM
I thought he looked great - let's hope they find an excuse for him to string a few games together. Even with Ben back, thought Vespa played the crumbing forward role beautifully.

Lucky Knickers
13th June 2010, 09:15 AM
He is looking very lean. Played well and I really hope we get to see him again.

Matty10
13th June 2010, 11:44 AM
It was his first game in so he cannot be judged too critically, and he did reasonably well.

He also seemed to find the ball ok and certainly played within the 'team' ethos, but he didn't seem to have that spark of excitement that was typical of his first few games in the seniors. That might be a reflection of my expectation rather than his actual performance (either then, or now), but I recall an x-factor that was not evident in his game last night.

goswannie14
13th June 2010, 11:55 AM
It was his first game in so he cannot be judged too critically, and he did reasonably well.

He also seemed to find the ball ok and certainly played within the 'team' ethos, but he didn't seem to have that spark of excitement that was typical of his first few games in the seniors. That might be a reflection of my expectation rather than his actual performance (either then, or now), but I recall an x-factor that was not evident in his game last night.They must have gotten to him and Jetta with the "bloods" ethos that appears to take any individuals flair out of their performance. Then we, as fans, wonder why they struggle.

stellation
13th June 2010, 12:14 PM
I reckon the x-factor was there, just tempered by not wanting to screw up so he can hold the place in the team. Most times that he picked the ball up he looked to bust through people, that's the x-factor I want to see.

liz
13th June 2010, 12:17 PM

He also seemed to find the ball ok and certainly played within the 'team' ethos, but he didn't seem to have that spark of excitement that was typical of his first few games in the seniors. That might be a reflection of my expectation rather than his actual performance (either then, or now), but I recall an x-factor that was not evident in his game last night.

There is a bit of a difference between being an exhuberant teen in your first year in the AFL and cracking it for your first few games, and being in your 3rd year on the list, suffering a range of niggling injuries and realising how tough it is to secure a regular spot in the senior team.

I thought his game yesterday was measured and team orientated but I suspect that will serve him better in the future than trying to do grab attention by trying spectacular, but very low percentage, things that he has been guilty of in the reserves at times this year. I don't think there were many bits of individual brilliance last night - a very cold, dewy and hence slippery surface and stacks of players around the ball meant it was far more a night for grunt than for flair. But if/when he does establish himself as a regular senior player, I think we will definitely benefit from his excellent, and sometimes audacious, kicking.

Bas
13th June 2010, 12:19 PM
Again, there was a thread dedicated to the match tonight. Why not post updates there?

:o:o:o Oops, I thought I was on the game day thread, as I was doing several things at the same time. I'd had a bad day........ At the time, I thought, where has everyone gone, no one is posting tonight? The life of a single parent has its moments.

CJK
13th June 2010, 12:24 PM
Best on ground.

How can he not be after all the long hard wait for him to walk among the mere mortals that make up the rest of the Sydney Swans (no, the Vez Swans!). How I wish I could be privileged enough to stand in the warm glow that is his very being. What a man, what an inspiration!

I am humbled that up to this point I thought he was just another player and was confused about the hype he received. By now, by the grace of Vez, I can see! All hail the Vez.

Veeezzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

/writhes on the floor speaking in tongues

Bas
13th June 2010, 12:34 PM
/writhes on the floor speaking in tongues

They do that every week at that new mega pentacostal church called VEZ- SONG.

Don't forget your 10% donation to be sure that God will still love you.

ugg
13th June 2010, 12:40 PM
They must have gotten to him and Jetta with the "bloods" ethos that appears to take any individuals flair out of their performance. Then we, as fans, wonder why they struggle.
Probably a bit over the top to go the big fist pumps after taking a chest mark.

i'm-uninformed2
13th June 2010, 04:21 PM
Tailed off a bit in the second half but in the first half did a great job, essentially playing as a lead up half forward. He had 10 kicks and 7 marks at the break - pretty good figures.

He was using his pace and willingness to hit a mark hard, burn off his man, and be the link man back into the F50. Not the flash of a few years ago, bopping and flying round inside the arc, but a role he is made for with his bursts and good long kicking skills. We haven't really had someone in that role since ROK moved to the midfield so maybe that's why Roos has held him back, demanding he gets his fitness up for the task.

I thought if that was the role he was given, he did it very damn well and with his attributes of pace, strong hands, and a penetrating kick, he's made for it.

ShockOfHair
13th June 2010, 04:22 PM
Didn't see the game. Where did Vez play?

Hartijon
13th June 2010, 05:39 PM
Tailed off a bit in the second half but in the first half did a great job, essentially playing as a lead up half forward. He had 10 kicks and 7 marks at the break - pretty good figures.

He was using his pace and willingness to hit a mark hard, burn off his man, and be the link man back into the F50. Not the flash of a few years ago, bopping and flying round inside the arc, but a role he is made for with his bursts and good long kicking skills. We haven't really had someone in that role since ROK moved to the midfield so maybe that's why Roos has held him back, demanding he gets his fitness up for the task.

I thought if that was the role he was given, he did it very damn well and with his attributes of pace, strong hands, and a penetrating kick, he's made for it.
The holding back of Vez has been the subject of discussion on here and people have different opinions. The "coaches know best" group obviously say its all part of the plan to increase his aerobic level to handle this particular role the coaches have for him and shows how brilliant they are. The group (membership =1!!!)that I belong to does not hold coaches in such high regard and often believe the players win despite them and their plans. I therefore think Vez stuck it up a few people against the Power and all praise to him!He should have had a game before the 12th round and he certainly didn't let himself or his supporters down.

dimelb
13th June 2010, 06:02 PM
My impression about Vesz is that the coaches are not trying to eradicate his individuality but expand his repertoire, with a view to using him both forward and back as well as in the midfield mix. I didn't see last night's match but I'm pleased he was on the ground and I think we will see a lot more of him.

Bloody Hell
15th June 2010, 05:27 AM
Looked good.

I thought he looked like a cool kid who was at a new school, hanging with the cools kids - knowing how to be cool.

Peace - Out!