PDA

View Full Version : Dipper stood down from Auskick - a new racism row.

Damien
18th June 2010, 02:47 PM
This one upsets me because I have a bit of time from Dipper and from the outside, it seems that Dipper is hardly some redneck, but what makes someone say what he was alleged to have said is beyond me.

AFL is embroiled in a second controversy over racist remarks | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/national/afl-is-the-latest-football-code-to-become-embroiled-in-controversy-over-racist-remarks/story-e6frfkvr-1225881362756)

KirkysSocks
18th June 2010, 03:10 PM
Dunno...this reeks typically of the stuff that news limited do..as in they basically trolled. There is no context of how he said..just the comment.

It's hardly racist..but just rude and ignorant i guess.

I told you there is just too much football media in melbourne so they resort to trolling for controversy.

Matty10
18th June 2010, 05:31 PM
Regardless of whether Dipper could / should be characterised as racist (a very loaded term that leaves for very little dialogue, or exchange - and should therefore be seldom used), the statement itself, if meant sincerley, is by definition a racist statement. If it was meant as a joke, with implied racist overtones, then it was just another stupid comment (in a series this week it seems).

I'm not sure if this is the media necessarily 'trolling' as it were, as the article seems to imply that the information was highlighted by the AFL boss on the radio this morning, however it is still another poorly written report, but that is typical of the electronic media.

top40
18th June 2010, 08:06 PM
It really comes down to showing social responsibilty. Before plunging into the joke, take a very deep breath, and think.....is it possible that this joke may be offensive to some. If the answer is 'yes" DON'T SAY THE JOKE!!!

stellation
19th June 2010, 03:48 PM
I like Dipper, and it's probably fair to say that growing up with his surname he may have suffered a bit of racism himself. I don't think he's a racist because of that comment, but I think it was extremely poorly advised for a guy who has such a massive role with children. I think reviewing his role in Auskick for just one incident is harsh but required.

GoSouth33
22nd June 2010, 05:25 PM
Let's not over react on this one. Perhaps a dumb thing to say but not a capital offence. I think Dipper will be OK after having served some token penance. He is a great ambassador for the AFL and I'm sure he's very contrite right now. I think he's earned lots of "brownie" (oops, I think I can say that) points for the work he's has done throughout Australia including indigenous communities. Go Dipper.

Kirkari
22nd June 2010, 06:31 PM
...I think he's earned lots of "brownie" (oops, I think I can say that) points....

FFS - that kind of trivialisation of racist comments is a huge part of the problem. The phrase "Brownie points" has no racial connoitation, as you well know, except what you putting it in quotes gave it. Your point seems to imply that there's a big fuss being made over the use of totally innocuous phrases - correct? Wake up!!

goswannie14
22nd June 2010, 06:40 PM
It really comes down to showing social responsibilty. Before plunging into the joke, take a very deep breath, and think.....is it possible that this joke may be offensive to some. If the answer is 'yes" DON'T SAY THE JOKE!!!Which basically means, no comedy at all.