PDA

View Full Version : Paul Bevan Farewell Thread

Blood Oath
26th June 2010, 11:08 PM
I have thought he has always TRIED hard........ but, NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Don't wanna kick him after a bad game but this game was deplorable!!!
LRT is next on the agenda - he was shown for what he is with good disposal into the forward line, I think most of the goals scored were on him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matty10
26th June 2010, 11:11 PM
I would not put any emphasis on LRT or Bevan for the loss tonight - we did not lose the game because of their efforts.

Blood Oath
26th June 2010, 11:18 PM
But they added a heap - to the opposition!!! Good Bye & Good luck I say

Q...
26th June 2010, 11:23 PM
I'm with Matty. Look elsewhere...

dimelb
26th June 2010, 11:23 PM
Basically, we lost the game in the midfield.

ScottH
26th June 2010, 11:26 PM
Bevan made a couple of bad blues, even though Davis was crapola tonite, Bevan had a hand in that.
Lrt was no where near our worst tonite.
I thought B1, and Goodes, and White , and ROK, and Hanners, (and should I continue?), were very much down tonight.

Blood Oath
26th June 2010, 11:28 PM
Good switch from Bevo in the third!!!

LRT gave up half our goals (without stats) I reckon!!

UglyDuckling
26th June 2010, 11:30 PM
yeah but unike the others beavan has been crap for a long time. His best is nowhere near goodes, bolton, okeefe and even hanners in his short career and white is playing the hardst position on the ground (though he may need a break soon)

How he gets picked astonishes me. when he goes to the 2's plays a couple of average games then comes back in. when guys like vez and tdl are consistently tearing it up and dont get a go

Blood Oath
26th June 2010, 11:31 PM
The only reason for Bevaan having a decent game is Leon Davis being held quiet?????? Davis dropped the ball running in to an open goal in the 1st qtr and went down hill from there. Bevan ACTUALLY got the ball and turned it over constantly.

ScottH
26th June 2010, 11:45 PM
Constantly is a stretch.

aardvark
26th June 2010, 11:49 PM
Bevan 15 disposals, Davis 13 disposals, Bevo clear winner on the night, one of the few...

dimelb
26th June 2010, 11:49 PM
Good switch from Bevo in the third!!!

LRT gave up half our goals (without stats) I reckon!!
Defenders can't do much against good delivery dropping into a running forward's path, or falling to the forward's side away from the defender if they're in a clinch. And LRT was pinged tonight for things that O'Brien did to ROK all night and got away with.

Bas
27th June 2010, 12:00 AM
Defenders can't do much against good delivery dropping into a running forward's path, or falling to the forward's side away from the defender if they're in a clinch. And LRT was pinged tonight for things that O'Brien did to ROK all night and got away with.

O'Brien got away with murder for most of the night.

UglyDuckling
27th June 2010, 12:01 AM
O'Brien got away with murder for most of the night.

its because he knows the president

gossipcom
27th June 2010, 12:20 AM
Bevan 15 disposals, Davis 13 disposals, Bevo clear winner on the night, one of the few...
Does that take into account in the 15 disposals he had a few handballs and kicks going to opposition players?
He was beating constantly beaten by his opponent the whole night. With the midfield being clearly beaten it was up to the defence to save us and LRT and Bevan sure as hell didn't play well.

laughingnome
27th June 2010, 12:30 AM
Give the defenders a break, especially LRT. No defender will beat his man one-on-one when the ball comes down the middle on a fast break: the rules have made that impossible. The best he can hope for is a draw and scrap it out and I thought LRT handled it more than fine. He was zipping from contest to contest as the only cohesive head in a backline under siege. It sucks to lose but the blame for this one falls on the half back flanks and the midfield. Forwards who could take a mark would be nice too.

aardvark
27th June 2010, 12:37 AM
Does that take into account in the 15 disposals he had a few handballs and kicks going to opposition players?
He was beating constantly beaten by his opponent the whole night. With the midfield being clearly beaten it was up to the defence to save us and LRT and Bevan sure as hell didn't play well.

Sorry ..just needed a laugh...you know how it is at times like this...

Beaussie
27th June 2010, 12:46 AM

Pfft, like that means anything. We continue to be Collingwood's bitches and Bevan doesn't impress me. God this team upsets me. :mad:

BSA5
27th June 2010, 01:06 AM
Yeah, Bevo was bad. Davis didn't break a sweat all night, they were as bad as each other, but Bevan just looked lost out there. Had a few touches but did nothing constructive. I like Bevo, but he was very poor tonight.

LRT, on the other hand, was not at his best, but far from our worst. Had some rotten luck to go with a so-so game, and fell victim to some genuinely fantastic delivery from the Collingwood midfield. Certainly wasn't the reason we lost.

Xie Shan
27th June 2010, 01:12 AM
its because he knows the president

Eddie McGuire?

hammo
27th June 2010, 01:18 AM
I hope that's his last game in red and white. He's a hack and no part of our future.

Go Swannies
27th June 2010, 01:40 AM
I came in to join the bagging of Bevan as he was woeful whenever I was watching him tonight. But to find LRt linked in almost had me leaping to support both. Malthouse playing Jolly on LRT for two goals was brilliant. Jolly had the height so LRT couldn't spoil. And the delivery was good to the Pies but most of all, the Piers players sprinted in to space so they got the ball. The few times we led into space we fumbled and dropped it then fumbled some more until a Pies player arrived.

hammo
27th June 2010, 01:43 AM
Malthouse playing Jolly on LRT for two goals was brilliant. Jolly had the height so LRT couldn't spoil.
Jolly was beating LRT on the lead. Not a good sign.

BSA5
27th June 2010, 01:53 AM
Jolly was beating LRT on the lead. Not a good sign.

Not really. The ball was put out in front of Jolly, he didn't have to break stride. Over short distances, no defender no matter how quick is going to be able to spoil balls like that. LRT made some blunders, but those weren't them.

SimonH
27th June 2010, 01:54 AM
I hope that's his last game in red and white. He's a hack and no part of our future.I have to say that tonight's game rather reminded me of Ben Mathews' semi-famous final game for the Swans. He wasn't just bad in a 'y'know, anyone can have a dirty night' way. He was bad in a 'the game has visibly passed him by' way. I've never been much on the 'he's too slow' wagon, but there were a few times tonight when he was embarrassed in a foot race with a fellow small player.

Even those on the 'ahhh, y'know, he wasn't that bad, he was better than Leon Davis' team would surely have to concede that there are players in our squad who offer more in the same role. Campbell Heath, for example. Indeed, even given Pat Veszpremi's lack of experience down back at the highest level, it's hard to think of a single attribute (apart from experience) that Bevan offers over him.

PS LRT Really wasn't that bad in the circumstances.

Bloody Hell
27th June 2010, 03:40 AM
There was a part in the telecast when Roos was screaming at a player from the sidelines who was daydreaming. Didn't see the player, but Roos did an impersonation of them.

I'm pretty sure it was Bevan.

Bloody Hell
27th June 2010, 03:48 AM
I hope that's his last game in red and white. He's a hack and no part of our future.
Never been a fan of Bevan, but I've moderated my views on him over the past few years, as I see his (small) value. After that game the minuses outweigh the pluses so dramatically that I will be silent no more!

Absolute hack!

There are 2 situations where he looks a footballer.

1. When he's in miles of space can get an uncontested possession and give an uncontested possession. What footballer can't do that?
2. When someone near him has the ball and he can throw himself at them.

If the ball is to be won or, god forbid, he has to think he looks a muppet.

I'm reverting to my old nickname for him - the Scarecrow - If he only had a brain. (See Roos impersonation)

smasher
27th June 2010, 08:52 AM
There were a fair few players worse than Bevan last Night IMO!

Melbournehammer
27th June 2010, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=BSA5;493462]Not really. The ball was put out in front of Jolly, he didn't have to break stride. Over short distances, no defender no matter how quick is going to be able to spoil balls like that. LRT made some blunders, but those weren't them.[/QU
crap LRT always plays from behind and was made to look vey poor as a consequence.

Lets be clear he wasn't the reason we lost. We lost because we have a midfield where if mcveigh doesn't get it no-one else can, a CHF that was tried in that position under eade when it was recognised that wasn't his position won 2 brownlows on the ball. Now we rob our midfield to deliver a crap forward and forward structure. Against collingwood over the past 5 yrs goodes has been one of the few positives but we foolishly moved one of our strengths.

we lost all over. LRT was poor and made to look slow and defending him on his performance is wrong. but in a relative sense our forwards were a disaster and our midfield was made to look second rate

Reggi
27th June 2010, 09:54 AM
I have to say that tonight's game rather reminded me of Ben Mathews' semi-famous final game for the Swans. He wasn't just bad in a 'y'know, anyone can have a dirty night' way. He was bad in a 'the game has visibly passed him by' way. I've never been much on the 'he's too slow' wagon, but there were a few times tonight when he was embarrassed in a foot race with a fellow small player..

A lot of the rule changes in the past five years, HTB etc, are killing off players like Bevan, if you are not either an elite runner, very fast, very skilful or very tall, there is no place for you in the game. Frankly I don't think the sport is as good to watch as it was 10 - 15 years ago, but those are the rules. IMO he is particularly hammered by supporters because to the average punter his deficiencies are obvious

Leon Davis has been crap all year so beating him is no achievement. Patty Vezspremi had 19 possessions in the first half and I think 7 in the second, so Bevan probably has an advantage in endurance, maybe.

ugg
27th June 2010, 10:53 AM
Nathan Brown (the Richmond one) summed it up best when he said on the commentary "I've played on Bevan a few times, he is a good honest battler". As long as Bevan recognises his limitations I think he goes okay. It's when he starts trying to be like Luke Hodge, switching play with 50m bombs across field and screwing them up, that he ends up looking like a donkey.

gazza
27th June 2010, 11:06 AM

if bevan had 15 disposals and 5 marks i must have looking at the wrong player.
2 out of form players against each other

Bas
27th June 2010, 11:41 AM
There was a part in the telecast when Roos was screaming at a player from the sidelines who was daydreaming. Didn't see the player, but Roos did an impersonation of them.

It was.

digital
27th June 2010, 11:46 AM

Game was lost in the midfield. With the weight of possessions comig in so easily, no defender could handle the constant onslught. Watched both closely, Bevan was okay, far from our worst. LRT was often pinged for being cuaght out of position. Read above!! No pressure from the midfield. Have to continue with White. From being the thrid tall, he was the focus all night. Bradshaw in, makes a big difference to the role White has to play. Much more upside than Playfair. Both Jetta and Rohan need game time in the 2's. TDL has to come in Vespa, surely did enough in his one game and should be time for Currie to show us what he has got. Pyke has done well, but also needs to learn more about the game. Hitouts are good, round the ground he needs more time to learn.

giant
27th June 2010, 12:31 PM
Horrible turnovers at critical times. If Davis was in any sort of form, he'd have had three on him by quarter time.

I really haven't been a part of the Bevo Death Squad but I'm afraid he was the stand-out poor selection from last night - and hence must be the first omitted next week.

Mountain Man
27th June 2010, 12:57 PM
Bevan was used in defence last night - a role he has been constantly bagged for on this forum.

It was thought his role this year was to be the 'pressure' forward - maybe, but the dysfunction there has passed him by, with hopefully TDL to get a go as a scoring option.

liz
27th June 2010, 01:15 PM
Nathan Brown (the Richmond one) summed it up best when he said on the commentary "I've played on Bevan a few times, he is a good honest battler". As long as Bevan recognises his limitations I think he goes okay. It's when he starts trying to be like Luke Hodge, switching play with 50m bombs across field and screwing them up, that he ends up looking like a donkey.

The moment that summed the game up to me was when Bevan took a fine contested mark in the middle of the ground and for once, the Swans had managed to create a cluster of three players in space out towards the wing, with just one Magpie nestled amongst them. And of course, Bevan's kick manages to pinpoint that one loitering thieving bird.

Peace
27th June 2010, 01:18 PM
yeah there were at least 10 other players out there that were MUCH worse than Bevan and LRT.

sWAns63
27th June 2010, 04:14 PM
I would make that game Bevans last ever

rojo
27th June 2010, 04:26 PM
yeah there were at least 10 other players out there that were MUCH worse than Bevan and LRT.

Who? I could name a few who were about as effective as those two but only one, maybe two, who were worse.

Ardent Swan
27th June 2010, 05:12 PM
How about a little bit of encouragement instead of downers on various players. They always do their best but last night were outplayed by a better team

dimelb
27th June 2010, 06:16 PM
How about a little bit of encouragement instead of downers on various players. They always do their best but last night were outplayed by a better team
Ah, but the sacrifice of the scapegoat brings peace. For a time.

DST
27th June 2010, 06:26 PM
Last night had nothing to do with either Bevan or LRT.

This stupid infatuation with getting rid of players who have nothing to do with the overall results, because they are called Bevan or LRT has to stop.

We got smashed in the midfield last night, let the ball out of our forward 50 far to easily and then were cut to shreds with better ball use coming into Collingwood's forward 50 to players who were isolated and one and one.

In that situation Craig Bolton and Matthew Scarlett are going to lose their share of one on one contests when the ball is coming in that easy and to their advantage.

Look at the midfield last night and our small forwards who were woeful.

DST

lwjoyner
27th June 2010, 06:45 PM
Just arived back in Melb after last night. First and last to ANZ should not have gone was warned on R&W on line a couple of weeks ago the pies game wasnt the one to come toom wish I hadnt. For all those who hepled with suggestions for accom. We stayed at the Metro Central very good we were back maybe 40mins after the game, the train was exceptional. Also agree re LRT he kicks across the face of goal to a red and white player but doent think about the next move and we constantly get loccked down with this across ground switches, show with him and Bevo haveing not played as juniors the thought process is what they lack, Israel and Hunt with have the same proble. Everything isd OK if the play is straight and narrow and you dont have to think too uch,sat in the red zone and you could almost see LRTs brains ticking over. See the game review for more of my thoughts.

-Doogs-
28th June 2010, 01:24 PM
Sure Bevan cant take the bulk of the blame, but I agree he is just not up to AFL class. He shows flashes of brilliance, but that's about it. He didn't show any of those flashes of brilliance on the weekend. He was average if that. Comparing Davis' possessions against Bevans' and saying Bevan was the clear winner is way off the mark. On that form from Davis, Bevan should have outshone him by a mile! If Davis was on song, there's be more agreement to the thread topic. Bevan can probably count himself lucky that Davis is struggling.

pinkemu
28th June 2010, 03:31 PM

I saw this to and if true it's a pretty childish act on Roos part.
It's one thing to scream instruction from the sideline but it's a little bit OTT to be mimicking someones character.
Maybe Roosy should go back up to the coaches box.;)

Go Swannies
28th June 2010, 04:06 PM

I had my binoculars on Roos at that moment and I think the player who ran off was Malceski. If he was shell-shocked, he wasn't the only one out there. But at least he and a handful of others were trying. Most of the team gave up in the first five minutes.

Matty10
28th June 2010, 04:12 PM
I had my binoculars on Roos at that moment and I think the player who ran off was Malceski. If he was shell-shocked, he wasn't the only one out there. But at least he and a handful of others were trying. Most of the team gave up in the first five minutes.

I thought the same thing from the telecast (that it was Mal. rather than Bevan, as mentioned on here), but have not re-checked it yet to confirm. I thought at the time that Roos and others were trying to make sure that Eski ran through the interchange markers, and that he was oblivious to the danger and what they were saying (hence the Roos impersonation). But as I said I will need to have another look.

DST
28th June 2010, 08:31 PM
Who? I could name a few who were about as effective as those two but only one, maybe two, who were worse.

I don't normally name names, but you can come up with 9 players easily who struggled in the game who were worse than Bevan or LRT.

* Goodes (struggled as a key forward)
* White (had no impact at all and fumbled whenever he went near the ball)
* Jetta (does not work hard enough without the ball at present)
* Bolton (was he out there this week)
* McVeigh (as above)
* Bird (could not go with Heath Shaw)
* Pyke (ruck work is good, but we are effectively playing with 17 when he is on the ground)
* Hannaberry (love him, but he had his first real shocker)
* Jack (turned it over constantly)

DST

BSA5
29th June 2010, 02:49 AM
I don't normally name names, but you can come up with 9 players easily who struggled in the game who were worse than Bevan or LRT.

* Goodes (struggled as a key forward)
* White (had no impact at all and fumbled whenever he went near the ball)
* Jetta (does not work hard enough without the ball at present)
* Bolton (was he out there this week)
* McVeigh (as above)
* Bird (could not go with Heath Shaw)
* Pyke (ruck work is good, but we are effectively playing with 17 when he is on the ground)
* Hannaberry (love him, but he had his first real shocker)
* Jack (turned it over constantly)

DST

Goodes - On a very good opponent, better than Bevan, equal with LRT, though we expect more.
White - Agreed, he was ordinary (not always the case when he has a quiet game, but he was ordinary this time)
Jetta - Disagree, he provided some spark, he was one of the few players who was able to run to space and break through, he worked very hard all night, but things just didn't come off for him. Ineffective, I guess, but it wasn't for lack of trying, and the tools were definitely on show.
Bolton - Middle of the pack. Certainly not our worst.
Bird - Played out of position on a very good opponent, kicked a goal, and stepped up when put into the midfield. Far better than Bevan, probably on par with LRT in terms of overall output, but suffered in an unfamiliar role (he's not even that bad up forward, but it was just as a defensive forward that he was ineffecitve).
Hanners - Agree, had a shocker.
Jack - Spark and grunt, wasn't fantastic but certainly better than Bevan, probably better than LRT.

For the record I didn't mind LRT's game, he was fairly poor but not horrible, had some rotten luck with some very good Pies delivery.

Nico
29th June 2010, 01:14 PM
Last night had nothing to do with either Bevan or LRT.

This stupid infatuation with getting rid of players who have nothing to do with the overall results, because they are called Bevan or LRT has to stop.

We got smashed in the midfield last night, let the ball out of our forward 50 far to easily and then were cut to shreds with better ball use coming into Collingwood's forward 50 to players who were isolated and one and one.

In that situation Craig Bolton and Matthew Scarlett are going to lose their share of one on one contests when the ball is coming in that easy and to their advantage.

Look at the midfield last night and our small forwards who were woeful.

DST

I didn't see the game DST, but I got a text in the 2nd quarter to say we were being smashed out of the centre. It appears it contunued for the game. I have harped on about this for years and to me there is a fundamental issue with the players they put in the guts for these contests and the roles of players at centre contests. There is a midfield coach who has been with us for a while so you would reckon he would have come under pressure to sort it out, but it appears not. Is it a senior coaching group strategy? I don't get it. All oppostion teams tear us up at centre bounces. I doubt on past history this will change until our current coach bows out and Longmire takes over. We live in hope.

Bolton and Kirk are as slow as treacle and rarely get a centre clearance and when they do it is pretty scrappy. They appear to have roles of blocking and holding. If you look closely Bolton plays that role poorly. That leaves a ruckman and a midfielder to try to get the pill. And our best centre clearance player continues to get cold at CHF. Not that he has ever been played anywhere near enough at centre clearances.

CJK
29th June 2010, 01:25 PM
The post loss 'blame Bevan' thread continues to be predictably and boring.

It's almost as is most of you believe if we dump him it's five premierships back to back, guaranteed....

Bloody Hell
29th June 2010, 02:25 PM

It's almost as is most of you believe if we dump him it's five premierships back to back, guaranteed....

There seem to be a few posts like this in this thread. Noone is blaming Bevan for the loss (or LRT). It is simply noting that Bevan is an absolute hack who brings nothing to the team and is a liability. Unfortunately the 'let's all love one another' brigade has taken over and there's no critical dialouge about what Bevan brings to the table....IN EVERY GAME.

29th June 2010, 03:18 PM
I like Bevo but agree that his time may have past with the modern fast high skill game that needs to be played now to be a top side. being I dont see him in our best 22 any more and fear he is in danger of becoming a "list clogger".

I won't however hear of LRT being of little value. He had a very tough job Saturday night with some excellent Collingwood entries into the 50 and a couple of tough umpiring calls. His ws not any easy job given the amount and quality of Collingwood ball into his part of the ground. He always gets the biggest opposition forwards and would be surprisingly (to some on here) sadly missed if he wasn't there.

Matty10
29th June 2010, 03:39 PM
There seem to be a few posts like this in this thread. Noone is blaming Bevan for the loss (or LRT). It is simply noting that Bevan is an absolute hack who brings nothing to the team and is a liability. Unfortunately the 'let's all love one another' brigade has taken over and there's no critical dialouge about what Bevan brings to the table....IN EVERY GAME.

This thread, and others like them, are hardly engaged in a 'critical dialogue' - they were born out of frustration from the loss on the weekend - which is why many on here think that the frustration is misplaced - as we have far bigger problems than whether or not Bevan "is an absolute hack."

Regardless of the particular form slump that Leon Davis may be in, the fact remains that Bevan, as a defender, beat his direct opponent - the same as the game before. However, he missed a critical tackle on the weekend and turned the ball over at times as well - he clearly needs to improve in those areas (like so many of our players will need to do if we want to be a winning team more often than not). But he also got himself in the right positions (goal side), more often than not to make it difficult for his opponent to score, and he does not get bumped off the ball as easily as others more skilled (Eski for example). He does have a role to play in the team. Others may argue that there are players who would be better suited to the role, but at this stage the coaching staff disagree. I am happy enough to defer to their judgment on this particular issue.

wearebloods
29th June 2010, 04:58 PM

It's almost as is most of you believe if we dump him it's five premierships back to back, guaranteed....He's been on the list 6+ years and he still hasn't been able to "Pwn" a position.

At 26, he should be nearing the peak of his powers..."potential" doesn't cut it anymore.

If his current output is the best he can deliver, why do you believe he is worth persisting with/deserving of a place in the seniors?

Bloody Hell
29th June 2010, 06:58 PM
This thread, and others like them, are hardly engaged in a 'critical dialogue' - they were born out of frustration from the loss on the weekend - which is why many on here think that the frustration is misplaced - as we have far bigger problems than whether or not Bevan "is an absolute hack."

Regardless of the particular form slump that Leon Davis may be in, the fact remains that Bevan, as a defender, beat his direct opponent - the same as the game before. However, he missed a critical tackle on the weekend and turned the ball over at times as well - he clearly needs to improve in those areas (like so many of our players will need to do if we want to be a winning team more often than not). But he also got himself in the right positions (goal side), more often than not to make it difficult for his opponent to score, and he does not get bumped off the ball as easily as others more skilled (Eski for example). He does have a role to play in the team. Others may argue that there are players who would be better suited to the role, but at this stage the coaching staff disagree. I am happy enough to defer to their judgment on this particular issue.

Nice post - shame it's a total fabrication.

Bevan did not beat Davis. He was constantly lead to the ball, turned around, out of position and generally outplayed - but this is nothing new for Bevan. When Davis butchered the ball running into an open goal, where was Bevan? 30m behind him trotting towards goal. How does a close checking defender give his opponent 30m?!? The role he plays in the team can be played by other, better players. He has found his way into the Seniors through injuries, not form - and has proven once again he is not up to the challenge.

As you say we have far bigger problems than Bevan, but I think we can solve more than one problem at a time. Bevan is a problem.

Matty10
29th June 2010, 07:30 PM
Nice post - shame it's a total fabrication.

Good one :rolleyes:.

As a defender, if your total net worth is greater than that of your opponent, I would say that you have done your job. That does not mean that Bevan had a great game, but it does mean he contributed.

The Goodes
30th June 2010, 12:10 AM
I think he's going to be delisted at the season's end. I think he would have little, to zero trade value. He has always been a passenger, even in the 2005 Premiership year. Having said that, his contribution in the Collingwood game was genuinely solid, but I don't think it was enough to warrant selection over other fit players. Sory Bevo. I think he's done.

Bloody Hell
30th June 2010, 02:38 AM
Good one :rolleyes:.

As a defender, if your total net worth is greater than that of your opponent, I would say that you have done your job. That does not mean that Bevan had a great game, but it does mean he contributed.

If you judge the total net worth of a player by uncontested possessions coming out of the backline, then Bevan beat Davis hands down (he is a forward).

In reality Bevan was made to look a fool against a guy who had 7 clangers and gave away 5 frees.

dimelb
30th June 2010, 06:03 PM
A possible role for Bevo - the enforcer:

And then there?s Bevo who reacts badly if he gets a heavy hit - so badly that he tries to genuinely knock you out. It?s his boxing version of white line fever. He?s got a long history. I played with him in the Under 12 NSW schoolboys? team, and he?s the only kid who?s every been suspended from the national schoolboys carnival!
From here:
Insider Training - boxing on with the boys - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/97125/default.aspx)