PDA

View Full Version : Sydney AFL / Canberra AFL review

Troy G
25th September 2003, 11:57 AM
What do people think about the first year back of the ressies?
How was the standard in Sydney AFL 2003 compared to when we had the Redbacks and the Bye?
If the Swans Ressies are going to boost their side with SydneyAFL players anyway then should the comps join and become a State League and the Swans draw players from the SFA? Do people like seeing Canberra sides or would you rather see Sydney teams as well as the Swans ressies?
What do you think?

shearer
25th September 2003, 09:40 PM
* The standard of the SFL this year was the worst in 15 years. But in saying that the league does go in cycles and every year is very different.

* I would hate to see a state league or Canberra in the SFL. I know ive played enough practice matches in Canberra to know that i would hate to play there in the middle of winter.

* The travelling expenses would see clubs in further financial strife. I know pretty much every club is struggling, plus to have the burden of travel & accomodation costs, would put them under great stress.

* Have more saturday games for the SFL.Clubs struggle to have fund raisers if they only get 3-4 saturday games.

* Not having the Swans reserves there meant some clubs missed out on revenue because they couldnt give sponsors the attraction of SCG games. Also players missed out on playing curtain raisers there.

* Looking at the Swans results this year playing in Canberra is obviously working for them.

* Sydney footy is very tribal and i would hate to see Canberra teams in the comp. There are a lot of rivalrys amongst clubs and it makes for healthy competition.