PDA

View Full Version : Aker/Kirk Article

Captain
5th August 2010, 08:54 AM
Jason Akermanis rates the players who have gone missing in 2010 | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jason-akermanis-rates-the-players-who-have-gone-missing-in-2010/story-e6frf9ox-1225900796844)

I think that Aker is spot on with his article regarding Kirk and to a certain extent ROK.

Swans leap to defence of Brett Kirk after criticism by Jason Akermanis | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-leap-to-defence-of-brett-kirk-after-criticism-by-jason-akermanis/story-e6frexx0-1225901390323)

Good to see the Swans defend their players, but they are surely having a laugh if they think Kirk is contributing at the moment.

I love Kirky, but the game has moved well past him and the season end couldn't come soon enough.

RogueSwan
5th August 2010, 09:01 AM
Just about all the players listed have had an interrupted season due to injury.
And Roos should have changed Kirk's matchup if was stuck with Giansiracusa.
Also, Aker should be at the top of his list.

goswannie14
5th August 2010, 09:11 AM
Just about all the players listed have had an interrupted season due to injury.
And Roos should have changed Kirk's matchup if was stuck with Giansiracusa.
Also, Aker should be at the top of his list.

No, Aker hasn't gone missing, he is just GONE!!!

Pretty hard to argue with that list. I made a similar observation about Kirk after the Richmond loss and many agreed, he has probably gone one year too long.

Primmy
5th August 2010, 09:21 AM
Akka is a snide loser. Why bother reading anything he has to say, it will always be a nasty slur on someone else. Who is employed. Whoops, he isn't is he.

Go Swannies
5th August 2010, 09:44 AM
No, Aker hasn't gone missing, he is just GONE!!!

Pretty hard to argue with that list. I made a similar observation about Kirk after the Richmond loss and many agreed, he has probably gone one year too long.

Aker's criticism doesn't make any sense. He says Kirk has always been slow but only this year is that a problem - is he saying that he's played so long that other teams have finally worked him out? Maybe they should have read RWO any time over the past seven years.

One can complain about the limitations of Kirk's playing this year but both observation and statistics show that Kirk is definitely in the Swans' best 22 in 2010. So if he'd retired or we'd dropped him we'd be fielding a weaker team this year.

Finally, it's been impressive that Kirk has managed to contribute some very useful goals this year, something that the faster (or fastest) players in the team have not managed. If Goodes' goal kicking was as reliable as Kirk's we'd be pushing for Top 4 now.

Captain
5th August 2010, 10:21 AM
Agree 100% with his goal kicking - it is fantastic. I put that down to his strong mind.

Can't agree with him contributing much this year. He is definitely limping to the line.

ugg
5th August 2010, 10:21 AM
I think that Aker is spot on with his article regarding Kirk and to a certain extent ROK.

I wouldn't go so far as to say as Kirk has gone missing, but his output compared to the previous 7 under Roos has dropped considerably. He has been Sydney's clearance and tackle king over that period of time but this season he's currently 6th in clearances and 3rd in tackles (on averages). This is partly due to the fact he is spending less time starting in the centre square, and we have sorely missed his work in the middle. He's still earning his spot with the tagging jobs, his work on Kade Simpson and Andrew Swallow come to mind in recent games. Also do not discount the intangibles that he brings to the side, such as his leadership and experience. I recall reading that the young West Coast midfield, after their SCG thrashing, remark how well organised Sydney were at stoppages and that Kirk and Jude were instrumental in this by being incredibly vocal at the ballups and throwins, telling where their teammates to stand and who to mark.

Aker's reason for Kirk going 'missing', 'being slow' isn't totally correct. He isn't being asked to play on the quick midfielders, however he seems to be struggling to run out games as a few of his opponents have broken free in the last quarter and you can see Brett vainly giving chase 4 or 5 steps behind. Is this perhaps due to the fact that clubs are making record number of interchanges within a game, or is it just the natural attrition of growing old? Brett himself saw the writing on the wall after the first few games and it was probably the catalyst for making the retirement decision so early in the season.

DeadlyAkkuret
5th August 2010, 01:48 PM
Wow really going out on a limb is Aker. A 33+ yr old isn't contributing as much as he used to, stop the press!!

Kirkari
5th August 2010, 02:09 PM
Wow really going out on a limb is Aker. A 33+ yr old isn't contributing as much as he used to, stop the press!!

Aker doesn't seem to know what is coming out of his own mouth (or pen, or hindparts for that matter). One line it's that the team has been covering up for him his whole slow career. (Why would any team do that anyway?) And then it's that the game moves past us all. (Not that Aker ever admitted to being past it as far as I remember...)

Loved Jude Bolton's response on Channel 9 this morning. Something along the lines of Brett Kirk being one of the most widely respected players in the competition and Jason Akermanis taking a good look at how he's ended his own football playing career and watching how Kirky makes his exit. Asked if he would defend Kirk he just said "Every time.".

Oh well, I guess Aker wins since we're all talking about it. Damn!

aardvark
5th August 2010, 02:44 PM
Aker .....the new Derryn Hinch / Kyle Sandilands. carving out his new career

giant
5th August 2010, 07:05 PM
Aker's reason for Kirk going 'missing', 'being slow' isn't totally correct. He isn't being asked to play on the quick midfielders, however he seems to be struggling to run out games as a few of his opponents have broken free in the last quarter and you can see Brett vainly giving chase 4 or 5 steps behind. Is this perhaps due to the fact that clubs are making record number of interchanges within a game, or is it just the natural attrition of growing old? Brett himself saw the writing on the wall after the first few games and it was probably the catalyst for making the retirement decision so early in the season.

THis is right - Mitchell last time up vs the Hawks a prime example. Kirk nailed him for 3 qrs but Mitchell won the game for them in the last. It's a tough game where "near enough ain't good enough" no more. I personally wouldn't disagree with Aker's comments, but I'm just not sure what their relevance is.

31 hard at it
5th August 2010, 07:19 PM
Akers see's his future as making headlines and seeking controversy.
This is always going to be a limiting role ... want a sensational headline .. ring Aker ??

Serious analysis of team tactics, the modern game and how it can be improved are rare in the media.

Brett Kirks role at the Swans and his standing in the Afl is already in granite !
He is respected and admired by so many current and ex players who consistantly refer to Kirk when describing the best that the game can produce .. not for the flash of brilliance but the hard work and dedication to do the team proud above all else.

wolftone57
5th August 2010, 07:31 PM
Kirkie hasn't been our worst this year & for most of it has been good, most seem to forget the first half of the season. He was exposed against the fast sides, Melb, Rich, Pies, Geelong but I think that was a coaching error. I would have played him in attack not defence as roos did. He can kick goals as much as he has an awkward style they g o through. I would play him on the half forward line for the rest of the season & I know he will get plenty of it & kick a few.

Xie Shan
5th August 2010, 11:22 PM
It's a bit weak to pick out a 33-year-old in his last year for being too slow isn't it? I doubt Kirky will lose a moment's sleep over Aker's comments.

I will grant him the comments on ROK which I don't think were meant as criticism, but more an observation that he gets heavily tagged which makes it harder for him to influence games. But again, anyone who watches the Swans regularly would know O'Keefe is usually one of the first of our players to be assigned a close tag.

Swandering
6th August 2010, 04:30 PM
So, Kirky has gone from "legendary" to "very, very good" this season? It is hard to be legendary every year for the whole of an AFL career.

But on the whole, Aker just doesn't get it! Kirky greatest skill is not his amazing footy talent - it is his personality, his high values, his inspiring leadership skills, his ability to fire up a team on the field, his mentoring of younger players.

As someone mentioned on another thread, all we need is Kirk on the field with his voice. He could stand in the middle of the field on crutches with a broken leg, and he would still be one of the most valuable players on the field.

Maybe Aker doesn't get it because these attributes have never been part of his own psyche.

Primmy
6th August 2010, 05:27 PM
Oooh Swandering, that's a bit mean about Aker.....nah, no its not. You have got him spot on.

bodgie
6th August 2010, 05:48 PM
"As someone mentioned on another thread, all we need is Kirk on the field with his voice. He could stand in the middle of the field on crutches with a broken leg, and he would still be one of the most valuable players on the field."

Has Kirk been that inspiring to the players this year?