PDA

View Full Version : VFL Round 15: Sydney Swans Reserves v Queanbeyan Tigers

ugg
5th August 2010, 06:07 PM
AFL Canberra Round 15
Sydney Swans Reserves v Queanbeyan Tigers
Saturday 7th August 2010 10.50am
Sydney Cricket Ground

The Reserves are sitting comfortably on top of the ladder, and a win will secure them the minor premiership. Queanbeyan are currently out of the Top 4 and a finals spot on percentage, but also only 1.5 games out of 2nd spot.

Ladder
Team|Wins|Losses|Draws|Points|For|Against|Percenta ge
Reserves|11|2|1|46|1678|1182|141.96%
Ainslie|7|6|1|30|1247|1137|109.672%
Belconnen|7|7|0|28|1170|1193|98.07%
Eastlake|6|8|0|24|1283|1186|108.18%
{colsp=8}------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Queanbeyan|6|8|0|24|1195|1401|85.30%
Tuggeranong|4|10|0|16|1054|1528|68.98%

Past Meetings
R2 Queanbeyan 16.9 (105) defeated by Reserves 19.14 (128) @ Dairy Farmers Park

A high-scoring shootout down in Canberra, 17 listed players fronted for the side and the goals were shared round with 5 players booting 2 goals each. Nick Smith, Mike Pyke and Daniel Currie were named as the Swans best on the day.

R10 Reserves 30.14 (194) defeated Queanbeyan 8.14 (62) @ ANZ
In an impressive display harking back to the halcyon days of 05/06, the Reserves were too good for a disappointing Tigers outfit. Dennis-Lane collected his second 7-goal haul for the season, ably supported by Henry Playfair's 5 and top-up player Eugene Kruger's 4. Not surprisingly, Dennis-Lane was the Swans best player on the day, ahead of Pat Veszpremi and Brett Meredith.

R5 Reserves 19.15 (129) defeated Queanbeyan 18.13 (121) @ SCG
R10 Queanbeyan 12.14 (86) defeated by Reserves 15.11 (101) @ Dairy Farmer Park
R15 Queanbeyan 7.15 (57) defeated by Reserves 26.21 (177)@ Dairy Farmer Park

Recent Form
Reserves - WWWLW
Queanbeyan - LLWWL

Last Round
Reserves 21.15 (141) defeated Eastlake 15.12 (102)
A slow start to the game saw the Reserves trailing at quarter time, but once they clicked into gear, they were never really threatened by Eastlake on the scoreboard. Lewis Johnston starred with 5 goals at CHF, ably assisted by Pat Veszpremi and Trent Dennis-Lane's 4 goal hauls. Exciting South Australian Byron Sumner earnt his first BOG nomination, with sole ruckman Daniel Currie and Johnston also earning plaudits.

Tuggeranong 12.6 (78) defeated Queanbeyan 8.8 (56)
An unexpected loss, and a big blow to the Tigers' chances of making the Top 4. The suffocating tactics of the Hawks finally paid dividends in the last quarter, when they kicked clear of Queanbeyan with a 6 goals to none last term. Kavanagh kicked 3 and Armstrong 2.

Team List (number of 2010 AFL Canberra games in brackets)
Listed players

7. Brett Meredith [8] (Senior emergency)
10. Daniel Currie [13]
13. Pat Veszpremi [13]
16. Gary Rohan [6]
20. Sam Reid [13] (Senior emergency)
22. Byron Sumner [9]
28. Dylan McNeil [13]
35. Campbell Heath [9]
36. Chris McKaigue [12]
43. Matthew O'Dwyer [8]
45. Nathan Gordon [14] (Senior emergency)
46. Taylor Gilchrist [12]

In: Meredith (Senior demotion), O'Dwyer (all back from injury)
Out: Trent Dennis-Lane (Senior promotion), Ed Barlow (injury?), Lewis Johnston (injury?)

Late changes drop the number of listed players to 12. Barlow, although not listed in the official injury list was reported to have hurt his hamstring in the Swans website's official report. Similarly, Johnston not on the official list but was reportedly said to have hurt himself at training on Tuesday (Daily Tele article)

MOD will boost the Swans defensive stocks, whilst Meredith should be assigned a midfield role.

Scholarship Players

47. Blake Guthrie [6]
48. Jackson Potter [8]
49. Jack Lynch [5]
51. Nathan Kenny [2]

In: Kenny
Out: Mitch May

This will be the Kenny's first appearance at a home reserves game.

Top ups

26. Tim Lambert (Western Suburbs)
44. Blake Malcolm (Balmain Dockers)
50. Eugene Kruger (East Coast)
52. Jerome Farrell (Balmain Dockers)
53. Mitchell Thompson (North Shore)
54. Matthew Lemme (Western Suburbs)
55. Shamus Pearson (Western Suburbs)
56. Tim Weston (North Shore)

Lemme and Thompson both played last week. Kruger has played 3 times this year and Farrell played a solitary game in 2009. There have been a number of topups from Balmain this year, I wonder if Frosty has been in close contact his ex-teammate Nic Fosdike, the Dockers coach.

Reserves leading goalkickers

Trent Dennis-Lane 37 (11 games)
Lewis Johnston 35 (14 games)
Pat Veszpremi 19 (13 games)

For full list: 2010 Goalkickers - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/../wiki/index.php?title=2010_Goalkickers)

Reserves leading votegetters

Daniel Currie 28 (13 games)
Sam Reid 28 (13 games)
Dylan McNeil 27 (13 games)

For full list: 2010 Best votes - RWOwiki (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/../wiki/index.php?title=2010_Best_votes)

Queanbeyan
Continuing the theme from last week, it will be instructive to look at the players who were selected for in the Australian Country Football Championships (ACFC). In a strange set of circumstances, NSW were able to select Canberra based players who were overlooked by the ACT. This resulted in 3 Tigers playing for ACT against their 3 counterparts on the NSW team. The ACT team consisted of:

10. James Kavanagh - Named ACT captain for the carnival and subsequently earnt All Australian selection at CHF. 2nd at the club and 4th in the AFL Canberra competition with 36 goals. Experienced and has been a quality player for a number of years now.
19. Billy Neely - Returned to Queanbeyan after some years at 3 other clubs. Ferocious player with tremendous ball winning skills
20. Toby Conroy - Midfielder recruited from the VFL.

while NSW had:

24. Todd Dickinson - 21 years old. Former NSW/ACT RAMS U18 player.
5. Jason Satchell - Midfielder with ball winning ability, but can also shut down dangerous opponents.
2. Ryan Quade - The name might be familiar to some long-time Reserves watchers as he was a supplementary list player for the Swans in 2005. Can play in the ruck or up forward

Current playing coach 1. Mark Armstrong is still kicking bags of goals, even at the ripe old age of 34 he leads the competition with 42 majors. He only this week announced his attention to step down from coaching duties.

Talking points

Rohan - A disappointing game last week perhaps it can be blamed on his injury and having had no match practice for 3 weeks. He played the first half back, but in the second half switched forward before limping off with a non-serious injury in the last quarter.
Currie - Monster solo game in the ruck against a behemoth in Chad Gibson. Won't get any easier against probably the best Canberra ruck division in 3. Jordan Longmore and Quade.
Gordon - Newly promoted to the senior list, and straight to the emergencies list. Has been spending time as a onballer mainly due to a lack of options, but probably won't find himself in that role in the seniors. With Bird and Meredith back in the side this week, he may find himself playing more of a wing/half-forward role.
Reid - Looks to have put on a bit of bulk since the beginning of the year. He'll need those muscles to stand up against Armstrong or Kavanagh. Playing on either key forward will prove a tough challenge as they both have strong bodies with years of experience. Heath or Thornton is likely to get the other forward.
Bird - He only needed one game in the reserves to recoup from his injury earlier in the season. He may just need to run out the game to catapult him back into seniors consideration.

Why the Swans can win

Still unbeaten at home this year.
A number of them, although publicly unnamed, received a rude wake-up call from the usually taciturn Paul Roos.
A very good record against Queanbeyan, winning their last 8 contests. Even though the Reserves struggled last year and only had 7 wins, they won all 3 of their matchups against the Tigers.

Why the Tigers can win

They'll want to send their coach off in a good manner, and a finals spot will be their immediate aim.
They have 2 potent goalkicking options in Armstrong and Kavanagh which could cause problems for the young Swans defence.
The Swans are down to only 12 listed players.

Matt79
5th August 2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks Ugg for the interesting read. Looking at the senior's EMG for this rounnd it is pretty obvious Roosy was referring to Vez, Johnston and possibly Currie as guys they need to do more of what the coaches ask in the ressies.

lwjoyner
5th August 2010, 06:15 PM
Whyshould N Gordon be picked as an emergency immediatley on being promoted from Rookie List.
Snubs senior listed players such as Patrick V, Byron Summer etc. I will not blame some of these players for looking elsewhere next year.

Matt79
5th August 2010, 06:17 PM
Because Gordon has adhered to team strategies and focus. This type of promotion is not all that uncommon.

Question for you....how many delisted players under Paul Roos' tenure have gone on to play senior footy at another club? Not many I'd suspect!

ugg
5th August 2010, 06:36 PM
Whyshould N Gordon be picked as an emergency immediatley on being promoted from Rookie List.
Snubs senior listed players such as Patrick V, Byron Summer etc. I will not blame some of these players for looking elsewhere next year.
It's the other way around, he was promoted because they wanted to name him as an emergency.

Patty V - debated incessantly here there and everywhere, no need to go over it again.
Sumner - as I said had his best game but missed a lot of games early on (for reasons unknown) and so won't be under consideration yet.

Old Royboy
5th August 2010, 08:02 PM
There is not much doubt that Nipper was going to make it on to the senior list at some time or other, but the best performed rookie has been overlooked. That (and by the length of the Flemington straight) is the Dill, Dylan McNeil. I guess he must have broken one team rule in one game and for that has to pay the price.

Primmy
5th August 2010, 10:50 PM
There is not much doubt that Nipper was going to make it on to the senior list at some time or other, but the best performed rookie has been overlooked. That (and by the length of the Flemington straight) is the Dill, Dylan McNeil. I guess he must have broken one team rule in one game and for that has to pay the price.

Now now ORB......Dill is a gem, but he is not yet battle ready...go orn admit it....he still weighs 75 kilos.....don't want another Flipper on our hands.

Another cracker from ugg......

Primmy
5th August 2010, 10:52 PM
OK you lot, I am one of the annointed this Saturday, and I am going to the Club Function!!! Will do some of the observations, but will be taking a break so liz if you can tweak this week, that would be great. Ta.

liz
5th August 2010, 10:56 PM

Not sure that is true. Great as McNeill has been this year, I don't think he is ready for senior footy. Gordon is a year older and in the elite endurance group already. He is significantly taller and more physically developed than McNeill. Given McNeill's stature and lack of pace, he is going to have to develop excellent endurance to make it as a senior player. Given he is still in his first year on the list, it shouldn't come as a surprise that he's not there yet in that department.

liz
5th August 2010, 10:57 PM
ok you lot, i am one of the annointed this saturday, and i am going to the club function!!! Will do some of the observations, but will be taking a break so liz if you can tweak this week, that would be great. Ta.

narf

Primmy
5th August 2010, 10:59 PM
narf

them there's fighting words......oh and can you do the comments this game? the narf is going off duty for a quarter or so.

liz
5th August 2010, 11:06 PM
them there's fighting words......oh and can you do the comments this game? the narf is going off duty for a quarter or so.

Am happy to. But as you wine and dine pre-game, just remember some of us chose to forgo the Swans recognition function in favour of cheering on our underperforming reserves instead.:p

Triple B
5th August 2010, 11:13 PM

Yep, as the regs have stated, Nipper has been terrific the past 6 weeks (pretty consistent the past 2 years actually) and is certainly deserving a place on the main list and emerg. list.

Nipper is an elite athlete as we know, going head to head with Cheese every year in the pre-season raceoffs. The difference is he transfers some of that running ability to the footy field and along with a pretty ferocious work ethic.

I'd seriously doubt that the likes of Vespa and LJ would begrudge Nipper's position, they play next to him and know the drill.

Primmy
5th August 2010, 11:22 PM
Am happy to. But as you wine and dine pre-game, just remember some of us chose to forgo the Swans recognition function in favour of cheering on our underperforming reserves instead.:p

my heart bleeds - and I will be there for a portion of the game so nyar - are you going to the aftermatch? Same venue, with Spida?

ugg
5th August 2010, 11:29 PM
Okay Primmy, you are excused on the proviso you provide a write-up on the function. In as explicit detail as you would for a reserves report.

Primmy
6th August 2010, 09:32 AM
Done

ugg
6th August 2010, 10:57 AM
The team list has been amended. Bird, Johnston and Thornton are no longer in the squad. Two more top ups Weston and Pearson have been included. See original post for more details.

Johnston's withdrawal would be consistent with what Mr Magoo reported was in the Daily Tele yesterday (hip injury?) although that article also reportedly said that Rohan was out as well but he has been named.

We're now down to 12 listed players on the day. Queanbeyan have a good shot at winning this now.

ugg
6th August 2010, 11:35 AM
For those in Canberra, they are broadcasting it on QBN FM 96.7

ugg
6th August 2010, 01:17 PM
Added jumper numbers and one more top up Lambert

Queanbeyan

1. Mark Armstrong
2. Ryan Quade
3. Jordan Longmore
4. Sam Jensen
5. Jason Satchell
7. Paul Franchi
8. Neil Irwin
9. William Griggs
10. James Kavanagh
11. Chris Haddock
13. Roy Jaques
15. Mitch Daniher
17. Timothy Cook
18. Andrew Lieschke
20. Toby Conroy
24. Todd Dickinson
30. Kristoffer Thompson
31. Matthew Liddle
33. Michael Wescombe
34. Andrew Swan
35. Paul Slater
39. Simon Mackie
43. James Nancarrow
?. Sean Kelly

Em: 50. Ryan Price

ugg
7th August 2010, 09:57 AM
Tweeting live from the game www.twitter.com/swansreserves
Also check out TripleB's Twitter www.twitter.com/bobalski

ugg
7th August 2010, 09:47 PM
Tough game for the bubs, Currie didn't play and I believe Meredith was rested rather than injured meaning they only had 10 listed players.

Swans 4.3 9.4 11.5 14.7 (91)
Tigers 3.7 10.8 14.15 19.18 (132)

SYDNEY SWANS Goal Kickers: G. ROHAN 6, P. VESZPREMI 4, D. MCNEIL , C. MCKAIGUE , S. PEARSON , B. MALCOLM
Best Players: C. MCKAIGUE, G. ROHAN, S. REID, P. VESZPREMI, D. MCNEIL, M. THOMPSON
QUEANBEYAN Goal Kickers: M. ARMSTRONG 6, J. KAVANAGH 4, M. DANIHER 2, M. WESCOMBE 2, J. SATCHELL , T. COOK , C. HADDOCK , W. GRIGGS , P. Franchi
Best Players: M. DANIHER, J. KAVANAGH, T. Conroy, R. QUADE, C. HADDOCK, M. ARMSTRONG

unconfuseme
8th August 2010, 02:18 AM
"Tough" would be an understatement, but would hardly describe the actions of some of the Queanbeyan "snipers" who went out there with no other aim but to physically intimidate a clearly much younger and smaller opposition.

Seeing Campbell Heath laying face down motionless at the feet of Mark Armstrong, before the first bounce, was frankly sickening ... I thought that crap went out of the game in the last millenium!

The umpires did little from then on to protect the Swans players from the cheap late shots from a number of the Queanbeyan "heroes" ... you tend to overlook the umpiring when the team is winning easily, but it is far more obvious in games like this one.

All a bit of a shame really, because it was always going to be a contest, with the majority of the top ups, and all of the scholarship players 1st year u/18's, and a very young, short roster of listed players giving the Ressies probably the most inexperienced team they have fielded in a long time ... and no ruckman didn't help either! (top up 26. Tim Lambert did a manful job for a lot of the day, but i'm pretty sure that he doesn't even ruck for his club side!).

Predictably, age and experience eventually told, the Swans were not intimidated, but Campbell Heath was still at a loss to explain why he had to come off under the blood rule, and when asked what happened, he couldn't remember!

The "usual suspects" played well for the Swans - couldn't argue with the official list of bests - but the "rookie" mistakes (over using, burning leads) seemed to spread to the listed players as the game went on. Potter (48) and Guthrie (47) - mixed them up again ugg! - had some good touches, as did a few of the top ups. Could be a couple of injuries out of today too (soft tissue only, hopefully).

Overall, a good tough hit out and wake up call, but probably best to forget and move on - can't see Queanbeyan doing much more based on that either.

Primmy
8th August 2010, 09:58 AM
I cornered Andrew Ireland about the ressies game (me and him, we are like That!), first to ask about Cambo and he said they have recorded vision on what happened, and they are not impressed, someone is going to be sited. I think some of the Queanbeyan bullies think they were playing in the local paddock, they had no idea the game was being recorded. They will shortly.

There were only 10 Swans this game.

Next I gave a wrap to 26 Not Henry and he said he was a toppy who was ok with rucking the whole game, and they chose to play him rather than Sam Reid as their rucky was a bit of a unit and Sam isn't, just a backup one when necessary. I thought he was terrific, and should be given a very positive wrap. I forgot to mention that Curry was out due to calf injury picked up at last weeks game when he rucked the whole game, A.I. was impressed with him.

The umps are shameful, including that female who they replaced at an earlier game up here as she was so incompetent, and they did little to protect the kids, and I mean the toppies, one of whom may have topped 15 yo but not going to put money on it. At one point a Q player had one of our toppies pinned to the ground and straddled him in monster mode for an extended period. Nothing was done. Nothing. There must be a lot of jealousy against the Swans boys - apparently they have done the unforgiveable and are professional players - but to target underage toppies is just weak.

I must say that for the first half I saw, that Vez is turning himself around and producing some good play. Sam Reid is so reliable. Gary Rohan is a class above. Gilly is still honing his kicking in and still looks like Marty Mattner on the run. MOD worked, and worked. I do believe there may have been some sting that stung.

ugg
8th August 2010, 10:43 AM
Potter (48) and Guthrie (47) - mixed them up again ugg!

I'm afraid you have caught me doing a dodgy cut and paste job. I have fixed the OP.

At one point a Q player had one of our toppies pinned to the ground and straddled him in monster mode for an extended period. Nothing was done. Nothing. There must be a lot of jealousy against the Swans boys - apparently they have done the unforgiveable and are professional players - but to target underage toppies is just weak.

That topup was Lambert, and the Queanbeyan bench weren't happy either. They were shouting to their player to get off him quick smart while that female umpire just stood and watched. I missed the first few minutes and so didn't see the Heath-Armstrong incident and besides that Lambert incident I didn't think Queanbeyan did too much wrong. They knew they had the size advantage and they used it well. I feel sorry for the young toppies, some of the will be feeling mighty sore this morning, but I don't expect Queanbeyan to go easy on them either.

Interesting comment you made on Members function Primmy about Longmire praising Vez and others. Longmire actually called out to the runner midway through the second quarter and told him to get Vez further up the ground. I'm not sure what the actual reserves coaches would have though of that as they were watching from the box. Very strange as Longmire and the other senior coaches are content to just come out and watch in silence but today Horse took on a hands-on role.

Primmy
8th August 2010, 11:24 AM
Looks like he may be formulating his 2011 team ugg. Getting excited maybe.

liz
8th August 2010, 12:54 PM
Interesting comment you made on Members function Primmy about Longmire praising Vez and others. Longmire actually called out to the runner midway through the second quarter and told him to get Vez further up the ground. I'm not sure what the actual reserves coaches would have though of that as they were watching from the box. Very strange as Longmire and the other senior coaches are content to just come out and watch in silence but today Horse took on a hands-on role.

I noticed that too, sitting right behind where Longmire and some of the injured and senior players were sitting. (In fact, I wondered if you were sitting just across the isle from me in the first half because I noticed someone who looked like they were twitting away vigilantly.)

Very difficult outing for our boys yesterday. In the end it wasn't just weight of numbers that told out - it was weight of inches too. The loss of Currie was huge, because gallant as the guy who came in and rucked for the Swans was, he struggled to keep his feet at times. Our midfielders, used to having silver service from Currie, were much much less effective at clearances. But in defence, too, we were mightily outsized and the Tigers are probably the worst team to be outsized against. It wasn't the same level of disappointment that the Ainslee game was a few weeks ago because most of our guys still put in all game. But they were up against it.

In terms of individuals, Rohan's class shone out like a beacon. Wonder whether his role almost exclusively in the forward line was because he is still lacking a little match fitness or because they wanted a genuine marking target up there - he would certainly have been useful elsewhere on the ground. He missed a couple of gettable shots but his conversion was still pretty reasonable. And his pace and the timing of his marks were a delight to watch.

I thought Vez was good, rather than great. One of his goals came from a Dicky Navis type conversion from tight on the boundary, where he made the ball dance in the air to curve in at the perfect angle. There were other moments where no doubt the coaches were saying to themselves "Oh Patty!" as he tried to do too much on his own. I doubt it is a game that will get him recalled to the seniors but it was solid, nonetheless.

Reid's game was a little odd in how he was used. I was wondering why they weren't playing him in the ruck, but Primmy has answered that. He was in defence in the first half and did reasonably well. In the second half I thought he had gone off as a senior emergency but then saw him meandering around CHF. He took one nice mark up forward (but missed the conversion) but didn't really have much of an impact up there. It seemed curious that they would move him away from defence given he was the only player we had over 192cm tall. Maybe he was a bit sore and they didn't want to subject him to any more battering??

Sumner was OK but nowhere near as lively or effective as he was last week. Last week it was when he went on the ball that he became a livewire but he didin't spend so much time there this week. There were a few moments where he burst through traffic at top speed but overall he lacked the zip of last week.

The mid-sized defending trio of McCaigue, Gilchrist and Heath bore the brunt of the onslaught. They battled away manfully but there was little they could do against some of the Queanbeyan monsters.

Gordon and McNeil I thought were just OK - some nice moments but they've both had far more impact on other games.

MOD looked lively but also a bit rusty.

ugg
8th August 2010, 01:05 PM
That was me. Another RWOer giant also manage to work out who I was via my incessant tweeting. He was attending his first ressies game for 12 years so we can put the full blame for the loss on his shoulders. Not a good one to turn up to ;)

liz
8th August 2010, 01:08 PM
So was Giant the bloke you were chatting with?

I almost came to introduce myself but thought "you" might think me a bit odd if it wasn't actually you.

ugg
8th August 2010, 01:25 PM
Yes that was giant. (Gday if you're reading this). For some reason I've always had it in my mind that you sit on the opposite side on the ground.

I've only begun to sit there lately as you can pick up some tidbits from the watching players and coaches. So do come over and say hello at the next game if you're around.

liz
8th August 2010, 01:46 PM
Yes that was giant. (Gday if you're reading this). For some reason I've always had it in my mind that you sit on the opposite side on the ground.

I've only begun to sit there lately as you can pick up some tidbits from the watching players and coaches. So do come over and say hello at the next game if you're around.

I do. My official seat is up in the O'Reilly stand. But I like watching the reserves from ground level and like to wander around and watch in different spots. I have started watching the first half of the reserves game from that spot, especially if I come in via the Driver Avenue entrance, rather than Moore Park. For starters, you can get to a seat before the game actually starts!

Matt79
8th August 2010, 01:52 PM
Liz or Ugg, I was not able to attend the ressies match as I was at the prematch. However, I heard that Rohan went off in the 3rd quarter with what appeared like a leg injury. Any knowledge to the extent of the injury? I'd reckon otherwise he'd be a strong chance to return next week, particularly with Jack going to come under heavy MRP scrutiny.

ugg
8th August 2010, 02:05 PM
Liz or Ugg, I was not able to attend the ressies match as I was at the prematch. However, I heard that Rohan went off in the 3rd quarter with what appeared like a leg injury. Any knowledge to the extent of the injury? I'd reckon otherwise he'd be a strong chance to return next week, particularly with Jack going to come under heavy MRP scrutiny.
I've heard from two separate sources, one of them being Spida at the after match, that it was a corky. I couldn't see exactly what happened, but it looked like a Tigers defender well onto his leg and he came off, rode the stationary bike during the 3 quarter time break. He did play most of the 4th quarter before pulling up sore after a contest and limping off.

hammo
8th August 2010, 05:10 PM
I've heard from two separate sources, one of them being Spida at the after match, that it was a corky. I couldn't see exactly what happened, but it looked like a Tigers defender well onto his leg and he came off, rode the stationary bike during the 3 quarter time break. He did play most of the 4th quarter before pulling up sore after a contest and limping off.

It happed quite close to me. Rohan had gone back to take a kick in the back pocket after a mark and for some reason the Queanbeyan player charged forward and literally fell into Rohan's legs in the process of smothering. It looked like a blatant free kick but given the standard of umpiring in that comp, no surprises that it wasn't.

Rohan looked to be carrying the knee for the rest of the game and wasn't movely freely at all. If it's just a cork then he's very lucky. It wasn't exactly a small player who fell into him.

Triple B
8th August 2010, 10:28 PM
As tweeted, it looked like a corkie to me the way they got him onto the bike during the 3/4 time huddle. The Queanbeyan player was the afore mentioned Armstrong.

There was an interesting exchange at the end of 3/4 time. Roos came onto the ground and as the huddles broke up, made a beeline to Armstrong as he walked down the ground to take his position at the Randwick end goals. Words were exchanged. One suspects Roos was more than a little peeved that Armstrong had KO'd Cambo (by now no doubt they had seen the vision) and he also 'accidentally' caused the corkie to Rohan.

Perhaps he was telling him to "enjoy the last quarter, it may be the last one you play for a while"......

ugg
8th August 2010, 10:51 PM
Official report, has a different ordering of the (same) best players. Meredith sounds like he was covering for someone in real doubt.

Rohan kicks six as reserves go down - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/99926/default.aspx)

Primmy
9th August 2010, 09:05 AM
As tweeted, it looked like a corkie to me the way they got him onto the bike during the 3/4 time huddle. The Queanbeyan player was the afore mentioned Armstrong.

There was an interesting exchange at the end of 3/4 time. Roos came onto the ground and as the huddles broke up, made a beeline to Armstrong as he walked down the ground to take his position at the Randwick end goals. Words were exchanged. One suspects Roos was more than a little peeved that Armstrong had KO'd Cambo (by now no doubt they had seen the vision) and he also 'accidentally' caused the corkie to Rohan.

Perhaps he was telling him to "enjoy the last quarter, it may be the last one you play for a while"......

I had an unsubstantiated report of this too, and I suspect you are right. As I said before, I don't think the idiots know there is vision, and the Swans have proof. Will be worth keeping an eye on this. then again, CAN an opposition coach approach said player? Legally?

giant
9th August 2010, 10:54 AM
Yep, got to my first ressies game in oh so long AND got to have my very first non-virtual encounter with a RWOer! (Greetings Ugg!) Can't believe I missed out meeting the legendary Liz!

Anyways, a real treat getting a day pass with footy overload out in the brilliant Sydney winter sun - I came home with quite a bit of colour.

It's a shame there were so few Swans playing but good to see what some of the excitement is about. For mine, Rohan was a class above but surprised he was left at FF for most of the match (tho he seems to have drifted up back from time to time including his encounter with the unpleasant Armstrong). Liked what I saw of Reid at CHF esp in the first half. Few others stood out tho both MOD and Vespa had moments of excellence. Vespa was another who seemed stranded in the forwards until decreed otherwise by Longmire as noted above. Campbell Heath battled hard at FB (esp given what happened earlier which I hadn't seen). Sumner threatened to take the game away from the Tigers at one point in Q2 but saw little of him after that.

Have to say I have some real sympathy for the ressies players who have been trying to "sell" Roos on the hardships of the ACTAFL - the top-ups looked incredibly young and caused umpteen turnovers as well as constantly putting the senior players under pressure; the competition reminds me of my amateur days where you're playing against big angry slow blokes who are looking at ways to vent their weekly frustrations; and a number of them seemed to be played out of position (at various stages our "ruckman" appeared to be one of the HBFers). Tough to make a case for promotion in those circumstances. That said, if Rohan has recovered, then you would think he'd be very useful on the wide expanses of Subi - perhaps a straight swap for Jack if he loses the MRP raffle.

ScottH
9th August 2010, 01:13 PM
Yep, got to my first ressies game in oh so long AND got to have my very first non-virtual encounter with a RWOer! (Greetings Ugg!) Can't believe I missed out meeting the legendary Liz!

Far out, you mean Ugg is real?
I thought he was a bot!!

giant
9th August 2010, 02:29 PM
I thought he was a bot!!

Well given that he continued to push out the tweets while I distracted him with stupid qns about the magoos he may well be part-bot.

ugg
9th August 2010, 02:44 PM
404 Syntax Error.

Reboot....

Hey nice to meet you too giant. Hopefully it won't be another decade before your next ressies game.

AnnieH
9th August 2010, 02:59 PM
We were sitting behind the Paul Kelly race as well. Had to go to the pre-match function (for a quarter), then came back to yell more encouragement.

I'm not used to seeing the ressies lose.

Little Ranga was sitting up near us during the seniors game. Limping pretty badly. I hope he recovers well. Byron Sumner was very disappointed with himself - I told him he did well, so he shouldn't be so hard on himself.

Nich
9th August 2010, 03:12 PM
I'm starting to worry about the Rooster. He's been feeling the effects of some injuries for the past month but battles on courageously. Is Roosy going to persist with this or is it time to wrap in him some cotton wool? We all know he's going to be a valuable asset to the team for many more years so should we be looking after him? He's a tall kid, building up his upper frame more recently, but still for the most part pretty thin in the legs. Do we ice him and look forward to next year or do we keep asking him to put his body on the line?

AnnieH
9th August 2010, 05:15 PM
I'm starting to worry about the Rooster. He's been feeling the effects of some injuries for the past month but battles on courageously. Is Roosy going to persist with this or is it time to wrap in him some cotton wool? We all know he's going to be a valuable asset to the team for many more years so should we be looking after him? He's a tall kid, building up his upper frame more recently, but still for the most part pretty thin in the legs. Do we ice him and look forward to next year or do we keep asking him to put his body on the line?

They need him for the granny - especially if they are playing the mob they played on Saturday.

The Big Cat
9th August 2010, 06:50 PM
They need him for the granny - especially if they are playing the mob they played on Saturday.

You think we'll play Hawthorn in the Granny?

BSA5
9th August 2010, 09:51 PM

Meh. A rolled ankle and a corky. Not the sort of injuries that pose long-term problems. We're better off getting as much footy into him as possible.

RogueSwan
10th August 2010, 09:27 AM
I thought he was a bot!!

not a "bot" he's a "boot"
get it? Ugg boot! ha ha!

groan
:o

Big Al
10th August 2010, 09:32 AM
get it? Ugg boot! ha ha!

groan

Bit early to be drinking isn't it Rogue :)

Primmy
10th August 2010, 09:33 AM
get it? Ugg boot! ha ha!

groan
shame on you.....

Hartijon
11th August 2010, 11:31 AM
What happened to that thug Armstrong? Did he get suspended? Need to put Jesse on him next time .Would it be worth dropping him to get even?