PDA

View Full Version : The West Coast wooden spoon appreciation thread.

cruiser
7th August 2010, 11:11 PM
You magnificent Lions!

Suffer Evils.

Big Al
7th August 2010, 11:31 PM
It's amazing the different paths these 2 teams have taken since the 05/06 period. Roos and the coaching staff ought to be commended for keeping us competitive without bottoming out like the Eagles.

Damien
7th August 2010, 11:43 PM
What a great day, Swans win and West Coast are secure on the bottom of the ladder!

Trying to look at the positive of Collingwood winning, I guess it builds their hopes up before the Bulldogs charge them down in September! (Barring a Swans miracle, the Bulldogs are my nominated September team!)

cruiser
7th August 2010, 11:50 PM
And here it is! http://expat21.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/wooden-spoon.jpg

Big Al
7th August 2010, 11:51 PM
What a great day, Swans win and West Coast are secure on the bottom of the ladder!

Trying to look at the positive of Collingwood winning, I guess it builds there hopes up before the Bulldogs charge them down in September! (Barring a Swans miracle, the Bulldogs are my nominated September team!)

Nah, i'd like Stephen Quartermains son to say in 2027 "After the longest premiership drought in history,73 years, the Bulldogs are champions of the AFL.

Yuri H
8th August 2010, 12:47 AM

I feel almost bad at the amount of pleasure this news gives me. Almost.

Jewels
8th August 2010, 12:48 AM
Nah, i'd like Stephen Quartermains son to say in 2027 "After the longest premiership drought in history,73 years, the Bulldogs are champions of the AFL.

You and me both Al.

PS Welcome back!

Big Al
8th August 2010, 12:54 AM
You and me both Al.

PS Welcome back!

Cheers Jewels

Robbo
8th August 2010, 05:29 PM
Tom Swift.

LOL.

Xie Shan
8th August 2010, 07:26 PM
hard to believe they won a grand final 4 years ago.

But given they average a premiership every 7 and a bit years (7.67 to be precise) since they joined the competition in 1987, they're about due for a wooden spoon.

AnnieH
9th August 2010, 11:56 AM
Ha ha sucked in budgie criminals.
I'm so happy that they've finished last.
Will shut my west coke supporting friend up ALL summer.

giant
12th August 2010, 05:43 PM
Ain't it sweet? I did feel a tad uncomfortable for a moment about how much I cheered the Lions on given that I did use to support the Eagles - but I got over it!

31 hard at it
12th August 2010, 08:05 PM
The press in WA are running a poll on what the supporters think about loosing the last games and getting an extra pick from the top 30 for the next draft.
Toasters are tankers !!

laughingnome
12th August 2010, 08:12 PM
The press in WA are running a poll on what the supporters think about loosing the last games and getting an extra pick from the top 30 for the next draft.
Toasters are tankers !!

I though the requirement for a priority pick was less the x wins in two consecutive years now? Isn't it?

Triple B
12th August 2010, 08:29 PM
I though the requirement for a priority pick was less the x wins in two consecutive years now? Isn't it?

I thought the priority pick was getting the flick?

goswannie14
12th August 2010, 09:07 PM
I thought it had been.

Wardy
13th August 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm loving it - life long friend in WA - who's husband is a prize dickhead and West coast supporter I have been rubbing it in big time. I mean this bloke was ringing my home number in Sydney on 2006 grand final night - thinking he was actually talking too me, he rang 5 times until the penny dropped - he was actually talkiing to my answering machine - because I was in Melbourne funnily enough!!!, on the last message he left said "jesus she's rude, she wont even speak too me she keeps hanging up" - the guy is a complete idiot.

ScottH
13th August 2010, 01:09 PM
It makes me laugh, when I remember the arrogant tools at the 2005 GF Parade were telling me about their reign that was about to start.

Hmmm. Funny how the tide turns.

cruiser
14th August 2010, 11:15 PM
How I cheered when Port kicked the winning point.

Jewels
15th August 2010, 09:53 AM
It makes me laugh, when I remember the arrogant tools at the 2005 GF Parade were telling me about their reign that was about to start.

Hmmm. Funny how the tide turns.

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't ALL the talk then about how it was the beginning of a dynasty?
Pretty crap dynasty.......

The added joy being that this would have to be the worst year EVER to get the spoon.
Hahahaha, love it!

Doctor J.
15th August 2010, 12:16 PM

For a Port Adelaide hating South Aussie, Cruiser that is some hatred for West Coast. :)

cruiser
15th August 2010, 09:41 PM
For a Port Adelaide hating South Aussie, Cruiser that is some hatred for West Coast. :) I thought so too ;) I dont think I've ever been so happy about a Port Adelaide score. Mind you, my hatred for Port Power isnt as great as my hatred for Port Adelaide Magpies. And I will never forgive the Evils for 2006.

timtayla
16th August 2010, 01:42 AM
Fantastic week here in the west go to work Monday and give to to the docker supporters they are just as bad as the eagle wankers.
My wife works in a newsagent and they don't sell too many papers when both lost. HEHEHEHE

cruiser
25th August 2010, 08:18 AM
Good artcicle by Richard Hinds about the effect that The Evils drug culture, and that club's reponse to it, has had on its current on field success and club culture: Drug past haunts AFL after Kings Cross arrest (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/drug-past-haunts-afl-after-kings-cross-arrest-20100824-13qdv.html)

But now only one of the counterparts in the great rivalry of 2005 and 2006 can look back with a complete sense of pride and satisfaction.

Doctor J.
25th August 2010, 09:36 AM
Fastest club in the history of VFL/AFL to go from Premiership* to Wooden spoon.

Suffer!

ScottH
25th August 2010, 10:36 AM
Feel the love in this thread!! :)

msb
26th August 2010, 12:54 PM
Oh it so great to read the hatred for those @@@@@ over in the west! They can rot at the bottom for years to come, with GC and GWS coming in, it really is not a good time to be a cellar dweller! :D

AnnieH
26th August 2010, 12:59 PM
Good artcicle by Richard Hinds about the effect that The Evils drug culture, and that club's reponse to it, has had on its current on field success and club culture: Drug past haunts AFL after Kings Cross arrest (http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/drug-past-haunts-afl-after-kings-cross-arrest-20100824-13qdv.html)

Onya Richard Hinds.

Tainted, I tells ya.

Tainted.

No 14
28th August 2010, 11:50 AM
Swans Vs Eagles in the 2000's .... "the good guys won".

The 2006 premiership should forever be labelled the drug premiership. Eagles supporters can bleat all they like that they have the cup but their shame will live on. The Ben Cousins documenary is further evidence of their culpability to the individuals impacted by their culture.

May the ignominy of the wooden spoon remind the Eagles of their culture of the past 10 years.

Rob-bloods
30th August 2010, 02:12 AM
Swans Vs Eagles in the 2000's .... "the good guys won".

The 2006 premiership should forever be labelled the drug premiership. Eagles supporters can bleat all they like that they have the cup but their shame will live on. The Ben Cousins documenary is further evidence of their culpability to the individuals impacted by their culture.

May the ignominy of the wooden spoon remind the Eagles of their culture of the past 10 years.

I still cannot believe that sick and sorry excuse for a club got away with the "drug' Premiership. The only player that got cut voluntarily was Aaron Edwards they got their premiership at any cost, turning a blind eye to the drugs whilst the core group was winning, quote Worsfold after 2006 GF :we are a close knit family"...after drug rumours "I knew nothing" ..yeah the PHARMACIST"...and what did Demetriou do not much,

Nico
2nd September 2010, 10:53 PM
I still cannot believe that sick and sorry excuse for a club got away with the "drug' Premiership. The only player that got cut voluntarily was Aaron Edwards they got their premiership at any cost, turning a blind eye to the drugs whilst the core group was winning, quote Worsfold after 2006 GF :we are a close knit family"...after drug rumours "I knew nothing" ..yeah the PHARMACIST"...and what did Demetriou do not much,

Didn't Polak get his marching orders?

Doctor J.
2nd September 2010, 11:08 PM
Didn't Polak get his marching orders?

Yes. But from Freo

cruiser
2nd September 2010, 11:37 PM
They did show Chick the back door to slip out quietly. And traded Gardiner to a team that suits his attitude.

DeadlyAkkuret
3rd September 2010, 03:23 AM
The silence is deafening in regards to Naitanui's supposed Rising Star season. Half way through the year you couldn't dare mention another name other than Nicnat, it's so pleasing that it ended up being one of our boys instead.

Big Al
3rd September 2010, 08:48 AM
The silence is deafening in regards to Naitanui's supposed Rising Star season. Half way through the year you couldn't dare mention another name other than Nicnat, it's so pleasing that it ended up being one of our boys instead.

That will happen when you shove a kid into one of the hardest roles on the field. Can you imagine Roos putting a Rookie into the Ruck. He would never do that to the kid.

Plugger1300
8th September 2010, 09:35 AM
Goodes won the rising star from the ruck 99'

cruiser
8th September 2010, 01:18 PM
Goodes won the rising star from the ruck 99' Eade was our coach then, not Roos.

laughingnome
8th September 2010, 01:29 PM

In Melbourne following Round 22 there was a short article in the Hun about Nat and how he did his shoulder about a third through the season. He played the rest of the year with pain-killers before going under the knife immediately following the season because the coaches wanted him to learn as much as he could in a year that didn't mean much for the Eagles. Two possible conclusions:
1 - West Coast PR is trying to cover their butts after he was considered the Star.
2 - The Coaching Staff are on the same gear as the players: Risking a young player, talented player like that instead of having his operation early. The possible ramifications on a young frame are huge and not worth the risk in a "junk year".

Allymay
12th September 2010, 12:51 AM
What a great thread!! Have really enjoyed watching the Evils suffer this year. Oh how the mighty have fallen in just 4 short years. What was that talk about a dynasty???????